2. Finance
  3. Secured Credit Cards

2.6/5 (53 ratings)

About Citi Secured Credit Card

Citi Secured credit cards can be a valuable financial tool for those with limited or no credit history. Citi Secured minimum deposits are refundable and can range from $200–$2,500. There’s no annual fee and Citi reports secured credit cardholders’ activities to all three major credit bureaus. Citi Secured credit card benefits include flexible payments, free FICO scores and a user-friendly mobile app.

Pros

• Refundable deposit
  • Automatic credit review
  • No annual fee

Cons

• No rewards
  • Longer approval process

Bottom Line

Ideal for those with limited credit history, Citi Secured Mastercards don’t earn rewards but the minimum security deposit is relatively low and there’s no annual fee.

Citi Secured Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citi Secured Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citi Secured Credit Card?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

This has been the worst experience ever. I got a secured credit card in June. Was told they were closing my acct for unknown reasons. I never even activated the card. I paid 1000 deposit in June. It's Jan 2021. They're still telling me, "Oh it's coming. Wait a for more weeks." Everyone is overseas taking calls. They don't understand. Just leave you on hold and hang up. They should be ashamed of running a business like this let alone a bank. This is unacceptable. Oh I'm still on hold now 43 mins in counting.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I opened my secured credit card in March of 2020. Used it and paid it off, always before it was due. I never once made a late payment. December of 2020, I made multiple charges and paid it off as I made them. I only have a savings account so I paid it from there every month. They closed my account because I made multiple payments in one month. Also they took my last payment from my account, my savings shows it. But yet they said that it was returned to the bank because of my closed account. Now I have to wait on a letter from them and my original prepaid payment I made. Not to mention the rude person I talked to on the phone. I will take my money elsewhere...

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

They don’t care about their members. I had a situation where I made some payments back to back it is flagged and my money is held while I’m in the store to use my card. Understand that may look weird but after one call and listening to why and l verify ALL INFO NEEDED still stuck out of town with no release of my money. Payments coming out of the same account that I HAVE ALWAYS USED. It could have easily been handled differently by management but to no avail. During the holidays just as much as you don’t want to deal with us we don’t want to deal with you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Both my husband and I's jobs have been affected by the Coronavirus pandemic. At first we chose their forbearance plan to help with our financial situation. We then decided to pull retirement money out to pay off our CitiCard which was our largest debt to help with our monthly bills. We called to request interest to be removed to help lower our balance. They took off 1 month of interest. Then, we had another interest charge on our account after the balance was paid off.

I called back again to request this to be removed since the account had been paid in full. AND THEY REFUSED!!! They would not help us out or make any exceptions since they had already removed 1 month of interest even during the pandemic. Their customer care and lack of is a disgrace. We will NEVER have another Citicard after the way we were treated. We had another credit card company happily do the same thing for us with no problem. If times get tough, they will NOT help you out. DO NOT USE CITI!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Imaging your surprise logging in to find that your account has been cancelled and rewards wiped out! This is what happened to us after building up almost $1,100 in rewards while never carrying a balance on the card. The fun of navigating their phone system to always end up talking to offshore reps from India or the Philippines, and getting 3 different excuses to what has happened. We are currently in the "appeals process", but my trust in Citi is GONE. I have a nice savings with them and I am currently working to get my money out of this untrustworthy institution. When a company steals $1,100 from you it does put a bad taste in your mouth and the citi bureaucracy is totally crazy. It is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. So be warned about this institution and I urge you to call them first and navigate their system before signing up or depositing any monies with them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I took out a $200 secured credit card with CITI over TWO YEARS AGO. They told me that if I make on time payments for 12 months I would get my $200 back. The first year I was late with ONE payment for ONE day. WELL I had to start over. They told me that I would get my money back in November if I had on time payments. So this year I did not miss one payment. Still NO PAYMENT. They are saying I didn’t use enough credit. My credit limit is only $200. Now they’re say that I need to wait until April 2021. They also kept telling me I can close it (but I won’t get my $200 back). I DON'T THINK I'M GETTING MY $200 BACK. THEY ARE ROBBING ME OF MY MONEY!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I have been Citi credit card loyal customer since 2018. Recently, I opened a dispute against fraudulent charge made by a merchant who already has been reported to Better Business Bureau due to scam involved on online shopping. This merchant who has currently taken down their online website which used to be **, and have been officially alerted by numerous people on Better business Bureau has gotten my money and got away with such crime. And citi did nothing to protect me.

I am appalled such a big bank like citi would stoop this low and strip off my confidence I had on their credit card fraud protection team. I have contacted citi dispute center and reported the issue and provided proofs in writing. Despite all my efforts and waiting patiently for almost 3 months, citi found it easy to close my dispute in the scammer’s favor instead. I am disappointed by the poorly trained and unhelpful customer service team at citi and I will be closing my citi credit card.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Worst customer service ever.. Manipulative liars, they will screw you up if you have any fraud transaction. They ignore you. NEVER CITI AGAIN. Worst bank and people to deal with. Customer service, chat, fraud department they don't know what they are doing, they manipulate you then screw you up, don't fall in their BS.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Citibank made an error on my account by mis-crediting $3000.00. This error occurred on the same day that my mortgage company paid off my credit card. Without any detail on my account as to where that money came from, I assumed it was an overpayment from my mortgage company. I spoke with a Citi representative two weeks later, and had the credit refunded. Nearly a month after the error I received a letter stating that I now owe $3000.00 because they made a mistake. I spoke with a representative to receive clarity and recompense and they would not even offer a 0% interest rate for me to pay back THEIR ERROR. I now need to pay back interest or open a new card with a 0% interest fee, which will affect my credit and incur a balance transfer fee. Through it all, I did not even receive an apology. A true shock coming from a bank with which I have maintained a clean relationship.

Original review: June 22, 2020

I made a payment, and got a schedule to pay. Then I received a call that I was late a payment. So I called them and they said "no everything is ok, you don't owe us anything right now." This happened 5 times. Then my credit score dropped nearly 100 points. I have called them 5 times today, I keep getting transferred or hung up on. I will speak to an English speaking person who will assure me that everything is being corrected, and then they will transfer me to someone with a hard to understand accent who is incapable of assisting me, and then I will get hung up on as they are "fixing" the issue. This has cost me $8,000 in closing costs buying my new house. I am still trying to call customer service to get help. It is 2 pm I have been on the phone since 8 am my time.

Original review: May 27, 2020

Outrageous wait times to speak to a banker. 26 minutes plus. Automated system is difficult to navigate, with long lag times between actual debits or credits showing up. Service reps have a very difficult time thinking outside the box, and most recite what sounds like canned responses to any question.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I open my best buy Citi visa card late last year at Best buy store. I purchase few appliances, one of the appliance I bought from best was faulty and I have long returned it. So recently I notice that they've been charging my account interest since January this year. Technically I was told prior to opening the account that I'll not pay interest until my promotional period expired, I call citi to see why they are charging me interest.

I spoke with the manger, she told me that I should have known that whenever I purchase from outside best that it accrue interest. I explain to her that I was not given that information when I open the account, meaning that I am responsible to know information of the card. Meanwhile they deliberately will don't give you that information, so you only find out when they start charging you. I am going to pay off my balance and close the account. This company is the MOST FRAUDULENT INEXPERIENCE card company I have ever seen in my life. I won't suggest anyone take them serious. They're point blank SCAM.

Original review: May 8, 2020

Customer service experience: I called Citi credit card about pending transactions. That had been pending for over 10 business days. Representatives told me to call another bank about pending charges on citi credit card?

Original review: May 5, 2020

I opened this secured card at the same time I opened one that was not secured. My first payment was not due until the end of May. I paid over the balance due on both credit cards on April 30th. My unsecured card posted my payment within 3 days. CitiCard's automated system states they received my payment of 200.00 on April 30th but no funds are available to me even though I have credit of more than the 200.00 on the account. They have a hold on those funds for 14 days. They are blaming it on COVID-19. I advised I work at a hospital so I know the challenges but this is a financial institution and they are telling me the posting department is closed??? There is no way they are turning down payments. This is the same thing that happened when I sent in my original 200.00 deposit before COVID hit.

I pay my bills early since my divorce and trying to rebuild my credit. That is the sole purpose of this card, yet they are going to put a hold on my payment for 14 days when they already admitted they received the payment on April 30th. Do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! This is not how I want my financial future handled. No excuse for this. Also when I tried to use the chat feature, they stopped allowing me to talk to them when I advised at the beginning of the call it said they received my money on April 30th but they have a hold on it. They cannot release and the only ones who can are not available due to the office being shut down to COVID-19. I call BS. My money being held and I am lied to over and over.

Original review: May 1, 2020

Please do not make the mistake of getting a Citi card! Go with Capital One, they actually let you use your money when you want. Every other payment I make to CITI gets put on a "verification hold" for 2 weeks until it's available to use. It takes a 30-50 minute phone call to have your money released to your account, in which they have to get your bank on the phone also. This card/company is so much more trouble than it's worth, especially now during the virus. They're still issuing "verification holds" but have no one in the office to help you get it released. Go with anyone else besides Citi!!! Worse financial decision I've ever made.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have been a Citi Secure card customer for 18 months, and I have always paid my bill with them before the due date. Over the past three months I would make a payment early as usual and feel comfortable knowing that it has been paid and can take that bill off my mind until the next billing cycle, I would (out curiosity) go and look at my account online maybe 2 or 3 days later and discover that I have a return check fee and a late payment on my account.

I called Citi and asked what was the return check fee for since I made the payment early, there was more than enough to cover the bill and the return check fee came the same day that they took the money from my account. They told me that when there is no money in the account (or not enough) that a return check fee would be charged as well as a late fee.

They blamed my bank and told me to call and talk to them as to why the money was not being released to Citi. I called and found that there was no error on the part of my bank and that Citi should have no problem getting my payment. The same day three months in a row the would first charge me the return check fee and then take the money from the account that I intended to pay and then attach a late fee to my account.

I have paid off the account and closed it because I only got the card to help my credit, but they are only in the business of taking advantage of people and not to assist them with improving credit scores. I also had all those return check fees refunded by reporting this company to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I first reached out on November 9th for help in submitting a USERRA memo, and did not receive a response. I tried calling, with the same results. I tried again through the app two days ago and I got a response this morning asking me to rate my experience. I have yet to talk to anyone from Citi. I would say that they have poor customer service, but I have yet to actually talk to them.

Original review: April 9, 2020

My husband and I decided to pay off the full balance of our Citi Credit Card on Monday, but before I did so, I made sure to ask the agent that I spoke with, when the full credit limit would again be available for us to use. Since I was paying with a debit card over the phone, he assured me that the funds would be released within 24-48 hours, at the LATEST! I confirmed this with him THREE times! I had my debit card out to give him the number, but he said he had it on file from last time, so I just went with it.

Here we are MORE than 48 hours later and while my credit card balance shows $0, so does my available credit... So I decided to give Citibank a call. After spending nearly 2 hours on the phone, speaking to 1 agent, 1 supervisor, and 1 senior supervisor, I am now awaiting a phone call from the "presidential office" of the bank because I've been told that my funds cannot be released until April 17th!!!! YES, you ARE reading that correctly! That's NINE more days! As I spoke to each person with Citibank, I reiterated that I made that payment on the stipulation that my full credit limit would be made available to me within 48 hours, instead, here we are with $0 to our name, during a freaking pandemic, and each one of Citi's "customer service" representatives says, "there's nothing we can do."

Meanwhile, their home page specifically states that "during this unprecedented time, that the well-being of their customers is their top priority!" Well apparently, MY well-being was NOT their top priority today, because even AFTER supervisor #1 called MY BANK to verify that the funds had, in fact, already been released to Citi, they STILL would not release my funds to ME, because again, "there's nothing we can do." I am so far beyond disappointed in the customer service that I received from Citibank this evening that I will NEVER recommend them to ANYONE in this lifetime. It's bad enough that you have to wait on hold for an hour to talk to someone, but then to receive ZERO compassion or assistance at that? NO THANK YOU!!!!

Original review: March 4, 2020

Customer service up to this point is pointless. 1 month and 5 days into my application No card, no email or regular mail. Out $1000.00. I want to cancel at this point, but am scared they will never give me back my $1000.00. I have different options but thought Citi would be best since I have a branch nearby. The Branch was no help whatsoever - just referred me to the 800 customer service phone number. Can anyone share their experience with how long did the application process take? When did you finally receive your card?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

On Feb 23, I logged in to pay my bill online but noticed a $93 interest charge. I am a very good customer and pay my bill in full each month, usually on or before the due date. However, the past few months I missed the deadline by hours (meaning that I logged in after midnight on the due date) to just a couple days (which was the case in January). My maternal grandmother had been hospitalized and subsequently passed away so with all of the added responsibility that brings, I lost track of my days and that is how my payment got submitted just a little bit late, but I always pay my current balance in full.

On Sun Feb 23, I called customer service to explain that I was willing to pay a late fee for my January payment being 2 days late, but I was not willing to pay an interest charge. A $93 charge is excessive, especially for an account where the current balance is paid in full each month. The customer service rep and his supervisor did not take my request into consideration and did not value my 24 year relationship so I paid the full balance and ultimately closed the account.

I cannot believe how devalued and unappreciated I felt at the end of that call, and all of this was just a day after we buried my maternal grandmother. I used to speak very highly of Citi cards and their outstanding customer service, but I cannot say that anymore. The rep only seemed interested in collecting money from me without any concern for my personal situation or the long-term relationship I had with the company via this account. I do not appreciate being nickled and dimed when I know I'm a good paying customer. I have closed my account and ended my 24 year relationship with Citi forever.

The rep that I spoke to told me his name is Joe (I'm guessing that's his "American" name as I have a strong feeling that's not his official name). His supervisor's name is Akash. The team identification number is 2014. I recommend that you train your customer service reps to have more empathy for longtime customers. There is no reason for me to continue using a Citibank card when other companies are working to attract me to their cards and will treat me better. Thank you for listening.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Got approved for the card a year ago and funded my card (they took that money very promptly). Had no real problems with them until I decided to pay off the card and close my account. I closed my account in January and here it is the end of February almost and I have yet to receive my deposit back. I have called and gotten the run around saying it was going to be deposited in my account that I paid the deposit from. Ok still no money. Called today, "Oh we are sending a paper check and that’s going to be another 7-10 days." They took my money promptly but can’t refund promptly. Makes me wonder if I’ll ever receive my money back.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

If there was a chance to put in 0 stars I would. I called CITI Credit Card customer service to take care of my account setting and make a payment. Just to get thru to customers service you have to go thru 10 minutes of useless talk to automated system. Their customer service people speak english but I could hardly understand because they are probably located in hinterlands of Mongolia or Bangladesh. I have nothing against them, just can't understand them. One of them spoke so badly I asked her to switch me to somebody else and she asked me for my credit card number AGAIN. Had to hang up and go thru the same routine again. This time I got another rep who spoke slightly better and I was able to accomplish my goal. My experience was frustrating and way too long. I am sure CITI bank couldn't care less about their customer service quality. All they care about is profits so they set up their "service" in the boonies to cut costs.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I opened a Citi secured MasterCard about 6 months ago to improve my credit score. I Gave my security deposit over the phone, and when the card came in the mail I began using it for everyday things paying the card off as soon as the charges processed. Making payments daily, weekly, monthly always trying to keep it at a $0 balance. Last week I made a payment with one of my linked accounts and accidentally chose the wrong account to make the payment. A few days later I went on again and made another payment all good right??? No! Today I went on to make sure my payment processed and learned that Citi had closed my account because the prior payment was returned. No phone call no warning nothing. I called Citi to discuss it and was told there is nothing they could do the account is closed and they can not reopen it. I was told I could reapply which I did and was denied. So now I will have a negative mark on my credit because they closed the account...So much for trying to help people rebuild their credit...I will never again deal with Citi

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

The Citibank secured MasterCard is one of the absolute worst secured credit cards out there. It is quite difficult to qualify for, despite the fact that they have your money upfront. Also, they tell you in their advertising that no one will know it is a secured card. That is an absolute lie. The credit bureaus know it's a secured card, and any other credit provider that looks at your credit report will know it's a secured card. I had three different major banks tell me point-blank that this card is absolutely worthless as far as trying to build your credit. Everyone knows it's a secured card, and it has no value whatsoever in building your credit or credit score.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2019

To Everyone who reads this please do not use them to build your credit. One day I receive a call from an operator saying one payment didn't go through. I explained to the operator I will make a full payment week to cover the amount and payoff my credit to bring it down zero. Come to my surprise the next following day Citi Bank decided to close my account. Mind you I only been with them for less than a year. I didn't get a call like the one before to explain my payment didn't go through. I made a full payment two day from then and covered the cost.

After I did that I asked the operator after the payment go through how soon can I use it cause I have to pick up Twins' Christmas gift that following Monday cause it was on layaway and Monday was the last to pick it up. The operator told me the credit team decided to close my account and the secure deposit won't be returned 'til 4 to 6 week from then. I asked why and they couldn't explain. They we just giving Me the run around. Please do not use them to build your credit. If you make one mistake they are ready to close your account without a second thought and ruin your credit. PLEASE DO NOT USE THEM TO BUILD YOUR CREDIT.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

I have had this Citi Double Cash Credit card for years. My daughter used it to purchase a one time item from a Vendor. Well I paid off the card and noticed that I had been charged like $700.00. I never authorized this same vendor, to continue charging my card. I never received anything in return. I was only given a credit for $495.00. Up to this day, and it's been since September, 2019. I have not been given a refund. Citi, keeps asking for more information. I keep telling everyone I call since you never get the same person on the phone ever. I have called like twenty times about this problem. Nothing has been resolved to my satisfaction. If closing an account didn't affect my credit score, I would close this one in a heartbeat. Don't use it at all!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

After being with them for almost 3 years. I decided to add another account for payments. I made $10 payment with the new account. A few days later I got an email saying the payment was returned and made another payment to cover with my Wells Fargo account thinking everything was okay. All of sudden my card declined and when I checked the app it said it was closed. After going through about 5 customer service agents I finally got a specialist that told me the account was closed and there was nothing I could do to fix but reapply. When I did this I was told I don't qualify. This was incredibly frustrating when it should not have been closed in the first place. I covered the payment have never had a returned payment before and literally lost a $300 credit line over $10. I have had almost every bank and never heard of my account being closed over 1 returned payment let alone over one for $10.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

Today without warning I found out that my American Airlines Platinum Select Citibank Mastercard was closed. After I was denied two transactions. I called customer service to later find out that Citibank decided they wanted to close my account.. I’ve been a very loyal and upstanding card holder for well over 4 years. Have never had an issue with Citibank. I recently made three payments within 2-3 data apart, because the first two payments I made never showed in my account and I thought the transactions didn’t go through so I tried the transactions again different amount. To later be told (again no warning) that my payments were randomly place on hold. When I contacted my bank JPMorgan Chase, they advised that my payments were funded and paid to Citibank well over a week prior to my inquiry. My husband got both Citibank and Chase on the phone together to sort this out. Of which we thought was sorted out.

Citibank even went as far as two days ago issuing my husband his own card for the account. On the day my husband got Chase and Citi on the phone, My husband was told by the Citibank rep to place a stop payment on the third payment because if we don’t Citibank will try and debit the payment especially since they found the other two payments. Again, these payments were made in succession! So it wasn’t like Citibank didn’t get a payment, they were being overpaid for what was actually due on the account. This said my husband followed the Citibank reps advise, placed a stop payment on the theirs payment. Today we were informed that because it The third payment was returned they are closing the account! Crazy thing is I went on my app and it still had had my available credit and everything still preset as soon as I called to inquire why my charges were declined while on the phone and being told my account was closed.

I could see they wipe my available credit to 0 (zero)! This abuse of power and the lack of value Citibank places on its loyal customer relationships is absolutely mind blowing!!!! To think, I’ve been with them for years, used this aced for many business travel needs, I’ve paid my balance of month after month without an issue. This one blip which by the way is their fault and I’m at fault for their internal problem. The best part is the rep says to me afterwards, "Well we can reopen it if you reapply for a new line of credit." This made no darn sense!!! You're going to close my account over some internal **, and then ask me to reopen a card to give me back my credit, so you take an internal issue your fraudulent credit company has and make it a public issue by now wanting to put an inquiry on my credit, which you’ve now damaged by closing my credit card without probable cause.

Citibank held payment without notice to me the consumer, advised me to place a stop payment and then. Lose my account because of it again without informing me! I am angry, disgusted, disappointed, and sadden by the fact that I lost my favorite credits and travel card with my favorite airline because of this **! I will be writing to the Better Business Bureau, American airline, the banking commission, and I will be taking this issue to social media! This is only the beginning of the exposure of Citibank’s poor credit policies and the lack of loyalty to their consumers!!!!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Have been CITI card holder (American Advantage) for 27 years. Without my permission, they have “locked” my old A/C number and transferred me to a new number. The reps said new card was a consolidation directed by American, and nothing they can do. I requested that my old card be retained and rep said they cannot. I needed to make a payment on my account. When I logged in, my old account number was inaccessible and only the new number was accessible. I made payment. Now this morning I received an e-mail telling me to update all the businesses that have my old number to change to the new number. They listed several accounts with dates and numbers. Not very secure way to provide data. Now I’m waiting to see if any hacker gets info from their data.

I have made several calls to CITI customer service with no satisfaction. I requested to talk to next level of manager 2x and each time was given no acceptable response or alternative. Each time all I hear is that the “upgraded” account was because American dictated it and nothing they can do. I do not understand how any company can arbitrarily cancel an account and dictate changing personal business transactions as a result. I think the Attorney Generals of states should look into CITI business practices. This morning I received an email.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am taking step to fix my credit so in the past 6 months I opened 4 credits in order to hopefully fix my credit. So far so good with all my payments and seen good results on my credit score. The last card I opened is with Citibank. I opened a secured credit with them. 1st off it took almost a month to get my card after they already took my $500 out my bank account. I called them after a few weeks asking why I haven't received my card. Customer rep told me the card was sent. I should have received it within 10 days. I said well I didn't and it's been 2 weeks so she said ok they will send another 1 and I have to wait another 10 days. Smh.

Finally got the card. Use it and month later I sent in my first payment. Mind you I paid the full balance of $485.25 a couple days before the due date to make sure I get no penalties and so I can look good for my credit. 4 days later I checked account on app. It says they received payment and that I have 0 balance but state I have only $14.75 available. I'm like what the hell. I'm like ok well maybe it's because it's the weekend right now cause it was Saturday so maybe Monday it would update. Nooooppe. Monday come. I check and it says the same. I'm like this is ridiculous.

I called them and customers rep told me oh my fund will be available on the 20th like **. I made payment on the 6th. Today is the wait and you telling me I still need to wait for my money to available. Wow. Like I said I have 3 other credit card besides this Citibank card and I have not have any problems with them. This bank is a nightmare. Avoid at all cost. If I could close this account right now without hurting my credit I would asap but trust soon I get my credit where it needs to be this bank will not see my money. Shame shame. Oh god. Btw this is not even worth a 1 star. I wish I could give them negative stars.

Citi Secured Credit Card Company Information