3.8/5 (133 ratings)

About Citi Secured Credit Card

Citi Secured credit cards can be a valuable financial tool for those with limited or no credit history. Citi Secured minimum deposits are refundable and can range from $200–$2,500. There’s no annual fee and Citi reports secured credit cardholders’ activities to all three major credit bureaus. Citi Secured credit card benefits include flexible payments, free FICO scores and a user-friendly mobile app.

Pros

• Refundable deposit
  • Automatic credit review
  • No annual fee

Cons

• No rewards
  • Longer approval process

Bottom Line

Ideal for those with limited credit history, Citi Secured Mastercards don’t earn rewards but the minimum security deposit is relatively low and there’s no annual fee.

Citi Secured credit card review

The Citi Secured Mastercard is a smart choice to build credit, but those who need to rebuild their credit after past financial mistakes might find better options elsewhere. The application process is relatively simple, but applicants with a recent or pending bankruptcy will be disqualified. There’s no annual fee and cardholders have some flexibility in their payments. The minimum security deposit is $200, but cardholders can secure credit lines up to $2,500. Citi reports to all three major credit bureaus, and you can set up auto pay and account alerts to help stay on top of payments. Plus, you can avoid paying any interest if you settle your balance in full each month.

Citi Secured Mastercard benefits

What this secured credit card lacks in perks it makes up for in simplicity. Cardholders don’t earn rewards on purchase or interest on their deposit, but Citi Secured Mastercard benefits do include global acceptance, flexible payment schedules and Citi Identity Theft Solutions, which includes $0 liability purchase protection.

• Global acceptance: Use your Citi Secured Mastercards anywhere Mastercard is accepted. Cardholders enjoy access to millions of ATMs and financial institutions worldwide.
  • Flexible payment schedules: Cardholders can select if they would like payments due at the beginning, middle or end of the month. Cardholders can also keep up with payments through auto pay. Plus, get account alerts and efficiently manage the account online or through Citi’s mobile app.
  • Citi Identity Theft Solutions: If your account is ever compromised, Citi will help you file police reports and take the steps necessary to get your life back. Citi Secured Mastercard also comes with $0 liability on authorized charges, so you’ll be protected against fraud if your card is ever lost or stolen.

Citi Secured Mastercard rates and fees

Although a major plus about having a Citi Secured Mastercard is the lack of an annual fee, there are other fees to consider before you apply: late payments and returned payments fees cost up to $39 each, and a 3% foreign transaction fee will apply if you use the card with overseas merchants and retailers.

To use a Citi Secured Mastercard more effectively, make sure to pay off your balance in full each month or you’ll be charged interest. Citi Secured APR for purchases and cash advances is variable and will fluctuate based on the prime rate. It’s possible to take out a cash advance with this card, but doing so will incur a 5% fee ($10 minimum). Keep in mind, taking out a cash advance with a Citi Secured Mastercard isn’t advised because the APR will be even higher than it is for regular purchases — this could make your credit even worse if you get behind on payment.

FeeAmount
Annual fee$0
Cash advance fee5% (10 min.)
Foreign transaction fee3%
Late payment feeUp to $39
Returned payment feeUp to $39

How to apply for a Citi Secured Mastercard credit card

Citi doesn’t require a minimum credit score on Citi Secured Mastercard applications, but approvals are still not guaranteed. Applicants must meet some basic requirements, complete an application and fund their initial security deposit before they can get their Citi Secured Mastercard in the mail.

1. Meet all the requirements: Like most secured credit cards, applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a U.S. mailing address and Social Security number to be approved for a Citi Secured credit card. Applicants who have filed for bankruptcy in the last two years will have their application for a Citi Secured credit card denied.
  2. Fill out the application: Citi Secured Mastercard applications can be completed online or in a physical branch location. You must also provide your bank routing and account numbers on the application, and Citi will verify your relative income.
  3. Make the initial security deposit: Any approved secured credit card application will be contingent upon completing the initial security deposit. Whatever your Citi Secured Mastercard deposit it, that will be your credit limit on the account once the initial transaction is complete. Citi Secured Mastercard security deposits are held in a Collateral Holding Account for at least 18 months without earning interest. After 18 months, CitiCIti will evaluate your credit activity to determine if you are eligible to upgrade and receive your deposit back.
  4. Get the card in the mail: Once you fund the initial deposit, Citi will mail your Citi Secured cerdit card within 10 days.

Citi secured credit card FAQ

Are Citi Secured Mastercard approvals guaranteed?
Approvals for Citi Secured Mastercard are relatively simple, but not guaranteed. Applicants with pending or recent bankruptcies will have their application for a Citi secured credit card denied.
Is Citi Secured Mastercard a good first card?
Yes, Citi Secured Mastercard is a good way for those who have never had a credit card before to establish their credit profiles. The issuer reports to all three major credit bureaus, so responsible use of a Citi Secured Mastercard will help the cardholder establish their credit history.
Where can I use my Citi Secured Mastercard?
Citi Secured Mastercards can be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted.
How can I pay my Citi Secured deposit?
Cardholders can pay their initial Citi Secured deposit and ongoing deposits through Citi’s secured website or at a physical CitiBank branch location.

Is Citi secured credit card worth it?

If you need a credit card to build credit, Citi Secured Mastercard is a smart choice. There's not much in the way of perks or rewards, but this card can help you establish a credit line and — if used responsibly — signal to issuers that you're ready for an unsecured line of credit.

Citi Secured Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citi Secured Credit Card?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2023

I had this card for a few years. No late payments until my payment for January of 2023. It was 4 days late. They cut my credit limit in half. Now my credit is considered maxed out. They are the worst credit card that I have ever had. I had an authorized user on my account. Had to remove my user. No need for the both of us to take a it. So disgusted with them.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

I have been a Citi credit card holder for over 5 years. Out of the blue they close my account. Do not mention closing it at all. I spoke with three different reps, was on hold for over 30 minutes to hang up and callback the next day. I finally speak with one who informs me CITI decided to close my card on its own and I would get a letter in 5-7 business days regarding this decision. Never in my life have I had any company do such a thing. Mind you I had lots of available credit. Terrible terrible credit card company. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Get buying tips about Secured Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2023

I'm many years with Citi Bank, but lately, I just want to warn anyone to apply for a credit card card from this bank. They declined a flight payment for no reason, and therefore, I had to book with another credit card. I missed out on a big amount of points. I called citi and complained about the declined amount, and I was told it's taken care of. 2 days later, they declined another flight, which is absolutely ridiculous. Stay away from Citi credit cards!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I opened a Citi Premier Card less than 2 months ago and have had NOTHING but problems. I received my physical card and when adding it to my Apple Pay, it triggered an alert which had me on hold with the customer service department (who of course is offsourced to Asia) for over an hour. That was finally rectified, but since then it has been literally a once a week or more occurrence that transactions I'm trying to legitimately make are flagged. I get no sort of alert by phone or text of an issue and when I try to contact customer service it is the most inane process of "verification" that makes absolutely no sense. Their "verification" method criteria are secondary phone numbers to contact you (why have a number associated with your account if they won't use that to reach you???) or numbers of other credit cards or checking accounts that have nothing to do with Citibank.

Then they want to send you a letter of verification which takes an average of 7-10 business days to get to you while all that while you can't use your card??!! We are in 2022 and this is the best you can do Citibank? I only got this card to take advantage of the bonus travel points and now that I've received those I will no longer be using this card. It's like the twilight zone, truly and utterly horrible.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

Seems like there's always some drama with this app, can take days to check my balance or make my payment. They're a big company and I expect more from them. They charge nice fees and I hope they will begin to devote some of their revenues to their tech team.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

I have had a few CitiBank Credit Cards for about twenty (20) years. I had an incident where I was fraudulently charged about $10,000+ and even though US Bank sided with me and protected me like a decent credit card company should…CITIBANK SAID TOUGH FOR ME, they were not going to remove the clearly fraudulent charges. Upset, I advised CitiBank I would cancel my accounts if that was the protection they offered. CitiBank could care less. They did not advise me I would LOSE ALL ACCUMULATED POINTS FOR THE THREE CARDS which were really abundant. CitiBank Credit Cards should be YOUR VERY LAST CHOICE, when it comes to card selection. They basically stole all of my accumulated points without warning. BEWARE! Regards, ** Principal Hawkins Pirkle Design Group, LLC 2213 Southwick Drive Lewisville, Texas 75067 **

Original review: July 11, 2022

Horrible experience. I received this new Citi Simplicity card 2 months ago with a $5,600 credit line. I started using it June 8th for a family road trip. On July 10th it was declined. Balance was $3,800. I called. They said was limited was decreased. I asked why. They couldn't give me a good reason. I had only used the card for one month and had already made the first payment early. I spoke to a supervisor and he was zero help so I closed the account. Bad business. Here I am on vacation and this happens. Thank goodness I have other cards.

Original review: June 14, 2022

Do not use their credit service. Citi bank will rob you. They randomly drained my account, it took 2 days to get my money back and then they hit me for a missed payment. They just randomly added over 4k to one of my card balanced. I don't know how the hell they get away with this. STAY AWAY. In less than 3 months they managed to drag my credit score from a 740 to a 590. STAY AWAY. Do not finance anything through them.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Eight months ago I applied for a Citi Secured card as I didn't have any credit cards. That is worse than having bad credit these days. I paid the balance every month. Within 8 months, Citi is returning my security deposit and issuing a non-secured MasterCard. What's not to like about that? I used less than 10% of the credit limit each month, too. Significantly increased my credit score.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

My dad called because he wanted clarification on the daily transfer limit for his bank account, but unfortunately he got an absolutely terrible customer service rep. The connection itself was bad and he kept on mumbling too fast for even me (a native English speaker) to hear. The rep then had the audacity to yell at my dad when he repeatedly asked him to speak slower, saying "How slow do you need me to speak? Are you even able to speak English?" in the most condescending and aggressive way. After my dad asked the rep his questions, the rep hung up the phone on mid-call. I highly recommend you to use any other banking service than Citi--absolutely atrocious that people can get away with that kind of racism in 2021.

Citi Secured Credit Card Company Information