2. Finance
  3. Secured Credit Cards

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.91/5

Citi Secured credit cards can be a valuable financial tool for those with limited or no credit history. Citi Secured minimum deposits are refundable and can range from $200–$2,500. There’s no annual fee and Citi reports secured credit cardholders’ activities to all three major credit bureaus. Citi Secured credit card benefits include flexible payments, free FICO scores and a user-friendly mobile app.

BOTTOM LINE

Ideal for those with limited credit history, Citi Secured Mastercards don’t earn rewards but the minimum security deposit is relatively low and there’s no annual fee.

PROS

• Refundable deposit
  • Automatic credit review
  • No annual fee

CONS

• No rewards
  • Longer approval process

Citi Secured credit card review

The Citi Secured Mastercard is a smart choice to build credit, but those who need to rebuild their credit after past financial mistakes might find better options elsewhere. The application process is relatively simple, but applicants with a recent or pending bankruptcy will be disqualified. There’s no annual fee and cardholders have some flexibility in their payments. The minimum security deposit is $200, but cardholders can secure credit lines up to $2,500. Citi reports to all three major credit bureaus, and you can set up auto pay and account alerts to help stay on top of payments. Plus, you can avoid paying any interest if you settle your balance in full each month.

Citi Secured Mastercard benefits

What this secured credit card lacks in perks it makes up for in simplicity. Cardholders don’t earn rewards on purchase or interest on their deposit, but Citi Secured Mastercard benefits do include global acceptance, flexible payment schedules and Citi Identity Theft Solutions, which includes $0 liability purchase protection.

• Global acceptance: Use your Citi Secured Mastercards anywhere Mastercard is accepted. Cardholders enjoy access to millions of ATMs and financial institutions worldwide.
    • Flexible payment schedules: Cardholders can select if they would like payments due at the beginning, middle or end of the month. Cardholders can also keep up with payments through auto pay. Plus, get account alerts and efficiently manage the account online or through Citi’s mobile app.
    • Citi Identity Theft Solutions: If your account is ever compromised, Citi will help you file police reports and take the steps necessary to get your life back. Citi Secured Mastercard also comes with $0 liability on authorized charges, so you’ll be protected against fraud if your card is ever lost or stolen.

Citi Secured Mastercard rates and fees

Although a major plus about having a Citi Secured Mastercard is the lack of an annual fee, there are other fees to consider before you apply: late payments and returned payments fees cost up to $39 each, and a 3% foreign transaction fee will apply if you use the card with overseas merchants and retailers.

To use a Citi Secured Mastercard more effectively, make sure to pay off your balance in full each month or you’ll be charged interest. Citi Secured APR for purchases and cash advances is variable and will fluctuate based on the prime rate. It’s possible to take out a cash advance with this card, but doing so will incur a 5% fee ($10 minimum). Keep in mind, taking out a cash advance with a Citi Secured Mastercard isn’t advised because the APR will be even higher than it is for regular purchases — this could make your credit even worse if you get behind on payment.

FeeAmount
    Annual fee$0
    Cash advance fee5% (10 min.)
    Foreign transaction fee3%
    Late payment feeUp to $39
    Returned payment feeUp to $39

How to apply for a Citi Secured Mastercard credit card

Citi doesn’t require a minimum credit score on Citi Secured Mastercard applications, but approvals are still not guaranteed. Applicants must meet some basic requirements, complete an application and fund their initial security deposit before they can get their Citi Secured Mastercard in the mail.

1. Meet all the requirements: Like most secured credit cards, applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a U.S. mailing address and Social Security number to be approved for a Citi Secured credit card. Applicants who have filed for bankruptcy in the last two years will have their application for a Citi Secured credit card denied.
    2. Fill out the application: Citi Secured Mastercard applications can be completed online or in a physical branch location. You must also provide your bank routing and account numbers on the application, and Citi will verify your relative income.
    3. Make the initial security deposit: Any approved secured credit card application will be contingent upon completing the initial security deposit. Whatever your Citi Secured Mastercard deposit it, that will be your credit limit on the account once the initial transaction is complete. Citi Secured Mastercard security deposits are held in a Collateral Holding Account for at least 18 months without earning interest. After 18 months, CitiCIti will evaluate your credit activity to determine if you are eligible to upgrade and receive your deposit back.
    4. Get the card in the mail: Once you fund the initial deposit, Citi will mail your Citi Secured cerdit card within 10 days.

Citi secured credit card FAQ

Are Citi Secured Mastercard approvals guaranteed?
    Approvals for Citi Secured Mastercard are relatively simple, but not guaranteed. Applicants with pending or recent bankruptcies will have their application for a Citi secured credit card denied.
    Is Citi Secured Mastercard a good first card?
    Yes, Citi Secured Mastercard is a good way for those who have never had a credit card before to establish their credit profiles. The issuer reports to all three major credit bureaus, so responsible use of a Citi Secured Mastercard will help the cardholder establish their credit history.
    Where can I use my Citi Secured Mastercard?
    Citi Secured Mastercards can be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted.
    How can I pay my Citi Secured deposit?
    Cardholders can pay their initial Citi Secured deposit and ongoing deposits through Citi’s secured website or at a physical CitiBank branch location.

Is Citi secured credit card worth it?

If you need a credit card to build credit, Citi Secured Mastercard is a smart choice. There's not much in the way of perks or rewards, but this card can help you establish a credit line and — if used responsibly — signal to issuers that you're ready for an unsecured line of credit.

Citi Secured Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citi Secured Credit Card?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citi Secured Credit Card?

Original review: April 11, 2021

Tell you they have certain policies then don't, lie to you like the dems. Wonder why they're a woke company. Won't ever use their card or financial services ever again for anything, punish you while you're down. That's their policy. Sound familiar?

Original review: March 30, 2021

Worst customer service ever. I just activated my new card, I have another card with Citi for years. I needed a verification code. I passed around cause none knew how to help me, 5 representative later I asked for a supervisor. She said she needed my cc#. I told her, "No, I want a supervisor. She said a supervisor is not taking the call till she verifies the account which I did 4 times with the previous representatives. So she gets my name, telephone #, my passcode, then wants me to get a verification code too seriously? So I wouldn't and I kept asking for a supervisor and she hung up on me. I've been a great customer for a long time... Not anymore. I have other credit cards. I don't need Citibank.

Get buying tips about Secured Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

This has been the worst experience ever. I got a secured credit card in June. Was told they were closing my acct for unknown reasons. I never even activated the card. I paid 1000 deposit in June. It's Jan 2021. They're still telling me, "Oh it's coming. Wait a for more weeks." Everyone is overseas taking calls. They don't understand. Just leave you on hold and hang up. They should be ashamed of running a business like this let alone a bank. This is unacceptable. Oh I'm still on hold now 43 mins in counting.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

I opened my secured credit card in March of 2020. Used it and paid it off, always before it was due. I never once made a late payment. December of 2020, I made multiple charges and paid it off as I made them. I only have a savings account so I paid it from there every month. They closed my account because I made multiple payments in one month. Also they took my last payment from my account, my savings shows it. But yet they said that it was returned to the bank because of my closed account. Now I have to wait on a letter from them and my original prepaid payment I made. Not to mention the rude person I talked to on the phone. I will take my money elsewhere...

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

They don’t care about their members. I had a situation where I made some payments back to back it is flagged and my money is held while I’m in the store to use my card. Understand that may look weird but after one call and listening to why and l verify ALL INFO NEEDED still stuck out of town with no release of my money. Payments coming out of the same account that I HAVE ALWAYS USED. It could have easily been handled differently by management but to no avail. During the holidays just as much as you don’t want to deal with us we don’t want to deal with you.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Both my husband and I's jobs have been affected by the Coronavirus pandemic. At first we chose their forbearance plan to help with our financial situation. We then decided to pull retirement money out to pay off our CitiCard which was our largest debt to help with our monthly bills. We called to request interest to be removed to help lower our balance. They took off 1 month of interest. Then, we had another interest charge on our account after the balance was paid off.

I called back again to request this to be removed since the account had been paid in full. AND THEY REFUSED!!! They would not help us out or make any exceptions since they had already removed 1 month of interest even during the pandemic. Their customer care and lack of is a disgrace. We will NEVER have another Citicard after the way we were treated. We had another credit card company happily do the same thing for us with no problem. If times get tough, they will NOT help you out. DO NOT USE CITI!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2020

Imaging your surprise logging in to find that your account has been cancelled and rewards wiped out! This is what happened to us after building up almost $1,100 in rewards while never carrying a balance on the card. The fun of navigating their phone system to always end up talking to offshore reps from India or the Philippines, and getting 3 different excuses to what has happened. We are currently in the "appeals process", but my trust in Citi is GONE. I have a nice savings with them and I am currently working to get my money out of this untrustworthy institution. When a company steals $1,100 from you it does put a bad taste in your mouth and the citi bureaucracy is totally crazy. It is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. So be warned about this institution and I urge you to call them first and navigate their system before signing up or depositing any monies with them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I took out a $200 secured credit card with CITI over TWO YEARS AGO. They told me that if I make on time payments for 12 months I would get my $200 back. The first year I was late with ONE payment for ONE day. WELL I had to start over. They told me that I would get my money back in November if I had on time payments. So this year I did not miss one payment. Still NO PAYMENT. They are saying I didn’t use enough credit. My credit limit is only $200. Now they’re say that I need to wait until April 2021. They also kept telling me I can close it (but I won’t get my $200 back). I DON'T THINK I'M GETTING MY $200 BACK. THEY ARE ROBBING ME OF MY MONEY!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I have been Citi credit card loyal customer since 2018. Recently, I opened a dispute against fraudulent charge made by a merchant who already has been reported to Better Business Bureau due to scam involved on online shopping. This merchant who has currently taken down their online website which used to be **, and have been officially alerted by numerous people on Better business Bureau has gotten my money and got away with such crime. And citi did nothing to protect me.

I am appalled such a big bank like citi would stoop this low and strip off my confidence I had on their credit card fraud protection team. I have contacted citi dispute center and reported the issue and provided proofs in writing. Despite all my efforts and waiting patiently for almost 3 months, citi found it easy to close my dispute in the scammer’s favor instead. I am disappointed by the poorly trained and unhelpful customer service team at citi and I will be closing my citi credit card.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

Worst customer service ever.. Manipulative liars, they will screw you up if you have any fraud transaction. They ignore you. NEVER CITI AGAIN. Worst bank and people to deal with. Customer service, chat, fraud department they don't know what they are doing, they manipulate you then screw you up, don't fall in their BS.

Citi Secured Credit Card Company Information