3.7/5 (175 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About Capital One Venture

The Capital One Venture card can help you earn points to use for travel. Read more Capital One Credit Cards reviews to learn about other Capital One credit cards.

Pros

• Earn unlimited travel rewards
  • $0 introductory annual fee
  • High sign-up bonus

Cons

• No intro APR
  • Less flexible rewards

Bottom Line

Capital One Venture earns miles that can be redeemed for airfare and travel expenses. Venture miles are less flexible than cash back rewards, but the card’s extra perks and benefits are worth it for frequent travelers.

Top Capital One Venture Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Everything you use this card for garners points to use to erase travel purchases. There are no gimmicks or coupons or savings or discounts. You use your card, earn points, erase y...

Verified

This is the best credit card I have used. If they see something that doesn't look right I get a message or a phone call. Even though this card has a fee, I am able to get money ba...

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Capital One Venture card review

Capital One Venture Rewards credit cards are extremely popular because of the high rewards rate. The Capital One Venture card earns miles back on every purchase, not just travel-related expenses like its competitors. Plus, there’s an opportunity to earn 50,000 bonus miles within three months of opening an account. Cardholders get the most out of Capital One Venture when they redeem miles for travel expenses.

capital one venture rewards credit cardRecommended Credit:
Good or Excellent
Capital One Venture Rewards
  • One-time 50,000-mile bonus if you spend $3,000 in first 3 months
  • Earn 2x miles on every purchase + 10x miles on select hotels
Learn how to apply
Capital One Venture card rewards
Each Capital One Venture card purchase earns unlimited 2x reward miles, and you earn 10x miles for each dollar spent when you use your card at Capital One’s hotel partners. Cardholders can transfer their Capital One Venture rewards miles to more than a dozen travel partners. Plus, Capital One Venture cardholders have the opportunity to earn a 50,000-mile welcome bonus if they spend $3,000 within three months of opening their account. There’s no limit to how many miles Capital One Venture cardholders can earn, and miles never expire as long as the account is in good standing.
Capital One Venture card benefits
In addition to easy rewards, the Capital One Venture credit card comes with travel, access, protection and management benefits.
  • Global Entry or TSA Precheck: Get a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application costs.
  • Travel insurance: Automatic travel accident insurance covers losses when you use the Capital One Venture card to book travel fare.
  • Exclusive events: Capital One Venture cardholders get VIP access to sporting, music and culinary events.
  • $0 fraud liability: You aren’t responsible for unauthorized charges if your Capital One Venture card is lost or stolen. Plus, you get alert notifications about suspicious activity on your account.
  • Mobile app: Access your account, view your balance and transactions, pay your bills and check CreditWise at any time through the Capital One mobile app.
  • 24/7 customer service: Capital One Venture customer service representatives are available around the clock.
Capital One Venture card fees
Capital One Venture waives annual fees the first year and charges $95 each year after. There are no foreign transaction fees for overseas purchases. Late payment fees are up to $39.

Capital One Venture card comparison

Below, compare Capital One Venture, American Express Cash Preferred Blue and Chase Sapphire Preferred credit cards on rewards, sign-up bonus, intro APR and annual fees.

Capital One VentureChase Sapphire PreferredAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred
Credit card rewards2 - 10x miles back on every purchase1 - 2x points on every purchase1% - 6% cashback on every purchase
Signup bonus*50,000 miles60,000 points$250 statement credit
Intro APR0% for 12 months
Annual fee
Customer satisfactionLearn moreLearn moreLearn more
* See terms and conditions
Credit card rewardsSignup bonus*Intro APRAnnual feeAnnual fee waived first yearHow to apply
Capital One Venture2 - 10x miles back on every purchase50,000 miles$95Learn more
Chase Sapphire Preferred1 - 2x points on every purchase60,000 points$95Learn more
American Express Blue Cash Preferred1% - 6% cashback on every purchase$250 statement credit0% for 12 months$95Learn more

Capital One Venture FAQ

How does Capital One Venture card work?
Capital One Venture credit cardholders earn travel rewards for each dollar they spend. Miles are then redeemed for travel and statement credits against travel purchases at 1 cent per mile. You can also transfer miles to more than a dozen airline partners. With Capital One Purchase Eraser, you can book travel with your Venture card then redeem miles for a portion of the cost.
What kind of card is Capital One Venture?
Capital One Venture is a travel rewards credit card. Cardholders earn miles when they make purchases with their Capital One Venture card and can redeem those miles for travel purchases.
How much are Capital One Venture miles worth?
Capital One Venture miles are worth 1 cent per mile when you redeem through the Capital One Rewards Center. You can redeem Capital One Venture miles for nontravel-related expenses, but rates vary and can change without notice. Get the most out of miles when you fly with Capital One Venture’s airline partners:
  • JetBlue
  • Hainan Airlines
  • Qantas
  • Qatar Airways
  • Singapore Airlines

Is the Capital One Venture card worth it?

Capital One Venture cards are great for people with good or excellent credit who want easy travel rewards. You get the most of out the Capital One Venture if you spend $10,000 or more with the card per year and frequently stay at hotels.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Capital One Venture?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2022

I just spent two hours on the phone being transferred from line to line, from Capital One credit card specialists to Capital One Travel specialists that only handle trips before 2022, to Capital One Travel specialists that handle accounts 2022 and onward. I hung up with Capital One and called Visa Signature who transferred me back to a Capital One credit card specialist, then back to a Capital One travel specialist. I finally got on the phone with a supervisor at Capital One who told me I would have to wait 44 days for a paper receipt for a business receipt which probably still wouldn't have the correct information on it. All of this to try to get an itemized business receipt for a flight that was canceled in reference to my personal Venture card which no one could provide to me, at all. I am NOT happy with Capital One.

Original review: July 18, 2022

A $ 1,000 money order was jammed inside an ATM. The investigation had been going on for 2 months. The bank kept denying the claim saying their records do not show any error. This is exhausting and quite frankly is a trust issue. What the bank is essentially saying is "we are not believing you". The customer resolution team is incompetent. They keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. I would have given up on them had it been a $ 10, 20, or 100 deposit. Unfortunately, it's a $1,000 deposit and all they can do is send me back to the post office to try to reissue the money order - this would take another 60 days. Seriously. After already wasting two months on this. I am considering taking my business elsewhere. Unacceptable and simply unpleasant.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 3, 2022

Bought shoes online, never received the items, called Venture for refund. They claim that I never WROTE a letter to support my claim, although I called numerous times & sent them e-mail of phone snapshot for the shoes order. $395 annual fee with all balances pd. monthly. REALLY after spending almost 40k in 6 months. This is not worth it. Throw it. They will not re-imburse you of your annual fee even if you only use it for 6 months.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

We have had an absolutely terrible experience with Capital One Venture card services! We have recently moved to Egypt and before doing so contacted Capital One to notify them and order new cards. Eight days after arriving in the country, Capital One decided that our purchases (normal household purchases, along with the fact that we had ordered new cards) was 'suspicious' and froze not only our Venture cards, but also our personal Capital One account. This AFTER WE HAD NOTIFIED THEM THAT WE WERE MOVING TO EGYPT!

Ah yes, it gets better... We had to contact them on our own dime (MULTIPLE TIMES) from our new Egyptian phone numbers and they REFUSE to use our international numbers. They will only call U.S. numbers, so if you are abroad you are OUT OF LUCK! However, it gets even better... They decide they need more 'verification' of who were and that we weren't fraudulently using our own cards. You see what we had; our U.S. passports, our State of Wyoming Driver's Licenses, letters from the IRS with our address and names, mail from our Insurance company with our names and U.S. address, along with other mail and such, and verbal verification of the purchases was not enough.

They insisted that we track down our SSN cards also (which was unfortunately the one piece of paperwork we didn't have). So... after having family track down those cards and supplying all the above mentioned ID's and banks statements from Capital One (why can't they see this themselves??) They told us, "Okay we will get back to you in 7 TO 10 BUSINESS DAYS." Two weeks later, multiple calls on our own dime (remember, they will not call an international number), emails, and after providing all the necessary documents... We still have locked cards. To sum up my review, for a company that markets itself as a great "travel card" do not use them if you actually travel!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

Make sure to read the fine print! I was pre-approved for the Venture One card so I applied online because I was excited about the 20,000 mile promotional reward if you spent $500 in the first 3 months. The rewards never came "Because of the way I applied for the card". Such a scam! I guess you have to call in person or apply a different way to get the promotional rewards. Of course they hide that fact pretty well on the application. It's ridiculous not to give the same rewards to every customer just because they applied for the card a different way. I have 3 different cards with Capital One. After this incident, I will be terminating all of them and going with Discover or Chase. Why would you want to screw over your customers like this??

Original review: Oct. 13, 2021

On 10/4/21, I booked a flight and on 10/5/21, I used my Visa Venture miles 48,460, to be exact, to be applied to my Visa flight. I NEVER RECEIVED THE CREDIT! I have a confirmation, from Visa, for the transfer, and I have called Visa and spent hours on the phone, They are doing an "escalation," but will not credit my account in the meantime. They have all the proof and the issue is on their end. Money/miles do not just disappear. If I did not get credit for my miles, Who did? No one at Visa will answer that question. I am sending a letter to their Corporate Offices. This action, on their part, is complete irresponsible. I would have used no stars, but that doesn't seem to be an option. BEWARE!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

Spent over a million dollars on card in last year and just recently had 7 fraud charges totaling $1,200 and they refuse to help in any way. They stated they cannot even tell me exact location card was used. Never use Capital One.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

We used our rewards to book a rental car through Capital One Travel. Our plans changed and we returned the car early. We have spent months and many hours on hold on the phone with Capital One Travel trying to get the refund check from our rental company sent to the appropriate address so that our rewards points can be credited back to our account. The rental company has mailed a refund check FOR OVER $600 to them twice but, it keeps getting returned undeliverable. We were on the phone for literally 4 hours today working on this again - I had Capital One Travel on my phone and my spouse had the rental car company on the other phone.

While I was on hold with Capital One Travel while she was trying to verify that we were indeed due a refund and to locate an address for us to provide to the rental company, my spouse was working with the rental company who was able to confirm all of the details about the refund and told us she had a refund check in hand ready to mail but just wanted to confirm the address as it had been returned to them twice already - we did all the work for the Capital One Travel agent while she had us on hold!!! Still not resolved after 4 hours as she would not provide us with a mailing address because SHE couldn't confirm herself that we are due a refund! Nor could she provide me with her supervisor contact or even a process to file a complaint! I've never seen business conducted this way in my life - and I work in the field! WE WILL NEVER USE CAPITAL ONE TRAVEL AGAIN!

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

This is a follow up to my Ashley Furniture review. I ordered a product from Ashley and it arrived broken in half. Ashley bounced me back and forth between supplier and them with no help so I disputed. Capital One was very disappointing and very smart. They want a letterhead from a different furniture company and how they would of handled it. Why would another furniture company give me a letter on how they would of handled it differently. What a stupid and smart request. I have 8 accounts with Capital One. I have been referring them for years. What bull.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I've had excellent credit for over 35 years. Switched to Capital One because I heard their cash back rebates are one of the best with no annual fee. Used this card for over 5 years, no issues. All of a sudden they freeze my card, tell me I need to provide them with a physical address before they will unlock the card. After being on hold for over an hour, I give them my rural address. A month later, same thing. After being on hold for over an hour, I give them the same rural address.

The third time this happened, I cancelled the card and asked for my refund on this card (stupid me over-paid the last bill). They told me they couldn't refund me until I updated my physical address. I told them they don't need my physical address as they have my mailing address. Finally I conceded and have been waiting for my refund ever since. First time they said they have to "hold" my money for 3 months. After 3 months, they said my cheque got returned and they'll have to re-issue me a refund. It's been close to 6 months now and I'm still waiting.

Capital One Venture Company Information