Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Shopping
  3. Makeup Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.75/5

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Sephora Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I tried to place an order for stocking stuffers (lip gloss). First, each time I tried to place the order, it stated there was an error with my credit card, but did not explain the issue. I tried other cards and got the same issue. I called Sephora to figure out the issue, they stated that the reason there was an issue was that I was trying to order more than 5 of one item. The site gave no information about this and let me get all the way to checkout. Then the sales person said that because I had a few errors from trying the place the order that I was not permitted to place the order (even with the quantity adjusted) for 24 hours. I stated that I needed the items by Friday, and she said that even if I could order them today, I would not receive them by Friday.

I stated that the site clearly states "Delivery by Friday, Dec 20". She said that yes, it says that but then after an order is placed, Sephora sends a follow-up email that you really won't get the items by the date they state on the site because you need to select the expedited shipping for $16.95, even though it doesn't say that. I said that is very misleading and she said she agreed, but Sephora still wants people to place the orders. Wow, misleading, frustrating and left me wasting 30 minutes of my time online and the phone. I will shop somewhere else in the future.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

We have been shopping on Sephora for years and always receive 20% VIP sales. My sister just discovered that Estee Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion 150ML on The Bay sell $124 but she paid $134 from Sephora. I went check on my ordered lists and compare La Mer eye concentrate on Holt Renfrew sell $275 and I paid $279 from Sephora!! Plus, the points I received and never be able to redeem as every time I check online those display items always show "out"!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

Do NOT sign up for recurring charges! I purchased their monthly box for my niece around two years ago. Unfortunately, I used her email, and she doesn't remember it. Even though the orders are on my credit card and sent to my house, they refuse to cancel the service. It's really unreal how bad of experience this has been.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I updated my shipping address on my Sephora account and place and an order shipping to my new home. Sephora ended up shipping the items to my old address because of an error in their system. I spoke with customer service who canceled the order that was shipping to the wrong house. The customer service agent helped me replace the order shipping to the correct address. The agent ended up selecting the wrong items to ship to my new house. I called back and canceled the order again. Instead of refunding me, they put my money as store credit on my account. I went online to place the correct order to my new address.

The items arrived, then for some reason they rerouted the old package to my new house. I received a repeat of the same items shipped to me. When I called them, they asked me to go to a store to return it or ship it back. I felt frustrated that I would have to go out of my way to fix Sephora's error. Then- I received an "error email" according to Sephora customer service agent, which notified me that a package arrived to my old house.

The next week, I placed another order and a couple days later I checked in my Sephora account because I had not received it yet. It said "unsuccessful authorization." I tried to place the order again with a different card and it said "unsuccessful authorization" again. I called customer service who said it was an error on their end. They did not offer to compensate me or offer me a sample package or anything to make up for the HOURS I spent out of my own time trying to fix THEIR mistakes. I am a Rouge member, which means I spend a good amount of $$ at Sephora. I'm truly surprised by how they treated me and am reconsidering shopping with them for future purchases.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

With Alta and Sephora I know I'm getting a good price on makeup and perfume. They have a list of things I like and would like to try. I also like the fact they won't rip you of your money. It's clean makeup never used and with my samples they're also covered clean. Easy to shop online and fast delivery and give you a receipt. They even tell you when your package is coming.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

They have a horrible return policy and if you do no live near a Sephora, I do not recommend buying any product in store. If you purchase something in the store and it is bad, they do NOTHING for you. I generally purchase online as I do not have any stores near me. I happened to be in Chicago and was delighted to be able to purchase my eyeliner at a Sephora store. I have been buying this eyeliner for years (along with many other products from Sephora) but the one from the Chicago store did not go on well/was bad. I tried to call online support but they would do nothing, telling me to go to a store to return the product. The closest Sephora store is over an hour away. They were made aware of my location, but would only repeat that "this is our policy" and that I would have to go to the store to return the product. Poor customer service.

Resolution response: Oct. 28, 2019

Upon actually talking to someone, they offered me a refund or to send a replacement order. Satisfied with the outcome.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

Sephora claims they offer “3 BUSINESS DAY SHIPPING” for orders over $50.. It took a full 3 business days for them to even ship my order to where I got a tracking email.. My tracking has yet to update and a week and a half later I still don’t have it. Maybe it’s been lost, but the whole things is just really disappointing.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

This is the WORST customer service I’ve ever experienced. This is the first time I’ve written a review for customer service. I’ve been lied to by multiple customer service reps and been ignored when I submit literal receipts of my purchases. Sephora could care less about their customers. I can’t wait for the day until a competitor takes all their customers and they go out of business. Wish I could give a middle finger instead of one star.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I would advise anyone who chooses to patron Sephora over other beauty retailers such as Ulta in order to achieve the $100 Rouge Rewards not to do so. If you prefer Sephora for other reasons, aside from rewards incentives, go for it. I would like to advise everyone, however, particularly those who patron Sephora in order to achieve "Rouge" status, and particularly, the $100 Rouge Reward, that this incentive is grossly misrepresented by Sephora. Sephora lists this as an incentive offered to Rouge Members "while supplies last" in order to decrease accountability to actually deliver on this incentive.

By "while supplies last" they are communicating that they are supposedly releasing these $100 coupons every Tues and Thursday but it is not specified how many they are actually releasing. It could be as little as one or even zero and as consumers, we would have no idea of that. The statement "while supplies last" is a gross misrepresentation of the probability of actually obtaining this reward. Colloquially speaking "while supplies last" does communicate that one must be proactive in waiting for its release. "While supplies last," however, does not imply that the reward is functionally more like a lottery.

I have sat consistently on my computer for the past several weeks and vigilantly have watched for the reward to appear upon its "release" after 9 AM PT. I constantly refresh the page to ensure I secure it as soon as it appears and each time, I have secured it by adding it to my shopping bag where it appears, when I press "checkout," I get an error message stating that my cart is outdated and needs to be "updated." This is clearly a programming tactic to prolong the process of checkout, until it reads that the item is "sold out" and no longer available. It's interesting that if/when I go to add a coupon of lesser value, this technical error never occurs.

It appears that while Sephora seems by and large to be a reputable company, it has intentionally set barriers in place to prevent consumers from redeeming this reward which they use to incentivize customer loyalty. It's clear that the $100 Rouge Reward is a functionally a scam and is misrepresented in the terms of the rewards program which is in a sense, a contract between Sephora and the consumer. It is my belief that consumers should be warned and also that a class action lawsuit against Sephora is warranted in light of false advertising and misrepresentation of the functional contract outlined per the rewards program.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

My son bought me a $50 e-gift card. When I tried to use it 6 months later I was told that it had been used and that there was $0 left on the card. Perhaps you can imagine my indignation when I heard that. Anyway after much protracted correspondence (emails) Sephora would not honor the ecard. I received several form letters. They clearly did not understand the problem until I sent a long letter explaining step by step. I think it was probably a keystroke error and that there is $50 sitting out there somewhere much to Sephora’s gain. They should not sell e-gift cards if they cannot honor them. I gave Sephora one star because I couldn’t give less. I would have given them minus 5 stars if I could. A very badly managed company with no Customer Service at all.

Sephora Company Information