1.33/5
  • 1 star
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 10, 2017

133 Sephora Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

You might as well not select the sample you want to try because you likely won't get what you asked for (hopefully if you get your samples it's actually something you can use otherwise it's garbage and a waste of product so you won't be buying the item which defeats the purpose of giving you something to try). When you call in you get response such as, "Well at least you got a sample, there's nothing we can do about what you got".

If the company is only going to give you whatever they might as well not let you select what items you prefer or correspond with you to make sure before they send out product that you will use it instead of wasting it. Honestly I'm more upset that Sephora isn't a company that is about its word, don't say or offer something that you're not going to actually do. Guess it's time to see what other beauty stores have to offer. However I did get the correct items I paid for so I'm happy about that, the package wasn't damaged and came earlier than estimated.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Absolutely the worst shopping experience every single time! Order arrived damaged. Cannot get anyone on the phone. Spent my lunch hour on hold and never got to speak to anyone. Cannot get anyone via email as all responses are automated. They NEVER ever include the samples you order but now they're just not including them at all! Bait and switch! I'll never order from Sephora or shop in their stores again.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I am a loyal Sephora customer and spend a lot of money which has placed me in their top tier customers called Rouge. I used PayPal to order something and it did not work for me. I took a walk to the store and was refused a refund. They said PayPal orders need to be returned via online or telephone customer service - UNLESS I of course, wanted to exchange the products for something else, conveniently. So not only did I waste my time taking a trip to the store, they sent me back out of the store with the products still in hand. I received the label, sent back the product and a week later called to find out why the refund still had not been processed. The Sephora customer person on the phone told me they don't have it back yet - and regardless I would have to wait 30 days to get my PayPal money back.

I am infuriated first that they couldn't process this in person because I used PayPal, and finally because of the poor customer service. I think it is poor service to make someone leave a store with a product that they are trying to return - and ask them to use another measure to get their money back. Terrible - especially for someone who spends so much money in that store.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I've had several experiences with Sephora online where an offer for a certain sample or gift bag has turned out to be fake. The last couple of years, the free samples I've chosen (the ones everyone gets with any order) have either been totally missing or have been substituted with cheaper samples. They will list a certain sample as being available even though they know it isn't, because that sample is incentive to buy. Recently there has been a problem with the bigger special gifts offered as incentives to order, too.

For instance, they are currently advertising a "free sample bag with any order" of $35 and up, and list five different versions of the bag. I liked the bags so I ordered some makeup earlier than I usually would have, just to take advantage of the offer. Within 5 minutes of my order being placed, I was sent an email saying the sample bag was "canceled" because it was out of stock. Okay, well I'll get one of the bags still in stock, right? Nope. I was told over the phone that they won't substitute something else for the offer automatically, and after just a couple of minutes all orders will be "in progress" and it's "impossible" to make any change at that point.

Yet that sample bag is still on their front page being used to get people to order, thinking they'll get this offer with their purchase! Sephora KNOWS it is out of stock. It's bait & switch and I'm DONE with it. It didn't used to be this bad; until about two years ago you could count on getting all your samples or a nice substitution if it ran out. Now Sephora refuses to honor their offers, and I suspect they never had any intention of doing so.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I actually will not buy online again. Probably not even in the store. I buy many products and this last shipping experience showed me Sephora is not customer service based. Purchased on 11/15 and received 11/30. No real reason for delay. And NO apology or offset. You still shipped it “slow boat” even after the fact. Unreal. Thumbs down. These guys aren’t even American based. No wonder their customer service number is hard to find and then reach them. So done.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Was told by the young girl behind the counter at Sephora Charlestown that I could return my item. She said, "As long it hasn't been used and is still in the box that's ok". When I later returned my purchase (after buying a different one elsewhere) the girl then said that I could only have a store credit. I explained that I was in the store only an hour ago and that when I asked, she had told me that the item could be returned. The girl then looked me in the eyes and said that she never said that- inferring that she never told me I could return it and I was lying. I asked the manager to have a look at the security footage as I knew that I had checked with them about their return policy before making my purchase.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I received the package with several items, all the boxes were a bit squashed but the L'Occitane creams that were for a gift were out of place and fully squashed, like used. Of course I couldn't use it for a gift anymore!! I contacted them immediately and did not get an answer after 2 days. I contacted again and nothing! No chat available and I could not talk at the phone, after 4 days I sent another email and now is 5 days waiting with no response. I cannot always go back to the store or spend lots of time on the phone. They do not have Chat or email respond!! They are expensive and super bad customer service!! Never again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My credit card number was stolen and used to make a purchase at Sephora.com. I disputed the charge through my credit card company as an unauthorized transaction. Sephora rejected my claim and provided a statement asserting that I was the one who placed the order. As proof, they stated that they were able to establish a link between the email address and billing address. However, while the billing address was my personal address, the email address they had did not and never did belong to me. Moreover, the email address was not in any of my contacts and so didn’t belong to anyone I know.

Needless to say, I am curious as to how they were able to establish this link. As further proof, they stated they were able to establish a link between me and the shipping destination. Again, I must question their link finding abilities because the product was shipped to Atlanta, Georgia and I have never lived, worked, visited, laid a fingernail in Atlanta, Georgia or any part of Georgia, for that matter. I don’t know if Sephora mishandles customer information in general or if they were outright lying to get out of reversing the charges, but I submitted a complaint to the California Attorney General detailing the inaccuracies contained in their statement. I suggest if anyone else has information about Sephora mishandling sensitive customer information, contact the California Attorney General. Hopefully, if they get enough complaints, they will investigate.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I seriously have never experienced such bad service. I ordered something from Sephora last week and I decided to pay the extra for two-day shipping - It didn't come in two days, so I checked my tracking and it was suppose to come on Tuesday. When it did not come I checked and it had been delivered to the wrong place. I checked my order and sure enough I had the correct address and two-day shipping. I called of course and she seemed clueless. She did say she would reship it. I had to ask her about the two-day shipping - she said, “Oh, I will refund that to your card.” Well it was suppose to come today and now I see all of the UPS items were damaged. I had to call again. She was also clueless. I finally spoke to a supervisor and she said she would refund me 10 dollars - Big deal on a 70 dollar order. Also once again if I would not have checked I don't think I would have known. No e-mail or anything from them. Do not do business with Sephora.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Have been a long-time Sephora customer. They have an amazing and well-curated selection of product which is what keeps me coming back. However I paid for flash shipping and it's very rare that I receive a shipment within 2 days of the ship date (and yes, I allow for processing time as being separate from the shipping time). Also, I never seem to get the samples I ordered. Agree with others that their online customer service is terrible and their in-store service could be better. While I will continue to shop their online store for lack of better online options, I probably won't sign up for the Flash Shipping service again.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

Alert: Your account information including your payment info is NOT secure on Sephora's website. I had 3 charges of over $260 each on my account within a span of 3 days. Shipped to some address in TX. I have not had luck in the past with their customer service and that is why I am posting this review. Hopefully it will be helpful in fraud prevention.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I am a frequent shopper at Sephora and am a Rouge member, and I am usually not a picky customer AT ALL. Some of their business practices are a little annoying (the 2 day shipping is usually more like 7 days, never sending the correct samples that you select, etc.), but I usually didn't pay too much attention because it was never that big of deal to me. However, recently had such a terrible string of experiences with their customer service that I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Recently, I have been having issues where orders I place are pending for days, and then eventually result in an "Unsuccessful Authorization." I have tried with multiple cards, entering my address in different ways, etc., but was still having the same problem. They never responded to the message I sent through their online contact form, and the 4-5 people I've talked to on the phone in the last 2-3 weeks have all given me conflicting information and have routinely told me things that were clearly just lies. For example, one representative told me that they had no way to know why the order was not going through, but another told me that it was definitely because my apartment number was listed on a different line on my billing address (even though I have placed orders like that in the past and it was fine).

One representative told me it was because I tried to ship one of the orders to my mom, and another told me where I am shipping it wouldn't matter at all. Two of the representatives said that they would place a note in my account to make sure my orders would not keep getting cancelled in the future, since there is no apparent problem with my card, address, or account - however, the last person I talked to said there were no such notes. I had one representative manually place an order for me over the phone, and they said that there would be no issues, and sure enough... This order did not go through either.

The one time I have recently been able to get an order to process, it was a disaster. I had an order that was pending for over a week, and I was assured that it was "absolutely" not going to process and that I needed to re-place the order. I re-placed the order, and sure enough, both orders shipped. When I called to notify them to cancel the one (which they did) I was still charged twice. Then for some reason they only issued a partial refund! I was still charged over $100 dollars for items I never received.

My most recent experience was the most frustrating though. The most recent person I talked to very rudely mansplained to me for over 30 minutes about how I can't place orders with other people's cards or ship to other addresses (even though other representatives have told me those things shouldn't matter, and I have placed other orders like that just fine in the past). This doesn't even make sense because the first time I had this ordering issue it was with my own card and shipping to my own address. Even after spending almost 45 minutes on the phone total, they still couldn't tell me why I am unable to place orders on my account.

Their advice was to call and verify my orders with their customer service every time I place an online order from now on - even though I have already tried that and this has not been successful. Even if that did work, who has time for that?! No matter how many times I asked, they would not transfer me to a manager. I wish I could take back the hours of my life back that have been spent on the phone and checking orders for products that I can just buy at other places. Clearly Sephora does not respect my time or money.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Ordered online, tried to cancel immediately to update and add a product. Called customer service, they said the order will be canceled and I can reorder. That never happened, they charged and send the order out. Had me on hold forever, couldn't understand my very simple name Diana, asked 5 different times. Not a great experience at all. Makes me question Sephora altogether.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I went to Sephora on 808 Columbus Ave in NYC to get my makeup today and I knew I would find another unpleasant experience again. And I did. Those ladies never have my N80 color tester out and so I opened a bottle and tried it on and a worker said, "Can I help you." And I said, "Not now I'm helping myself." You should have asked me 15 min ago can I help you when I walked in. But since you never hear CAN I HELP YOU the customer is left with no other choice but to help themselves.

So she left and came back and said, "You can't open a Bottle of makeup to use as a sample." And I told THE MANAGER if they kept the testers ready then no one would need to open a bottle. I don't know if this color still works. I need to test it. And we went back and forth arguing about it until she finally decided the customer was right and looked in the drawer and found a bottle, opened it and used as a tester!!! This happens every single time I go in there. After all that I saw they had the right sample in the wrong labeled slot.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My local Sephora in the Clarendon Commons in Arlington Va. has the got to do better with customer service. This was the third time I have been in the store and walked out because sale personnel were standing in a circle talking. I asked for help with Fenty Beauty foundation. Someone comes over, picks up a foundation that too dark and when I told her it was too dark she said, "Well Fenty makeup isn't for everyone," and walked away. She didn't offer to help find something else are anything. Are employees not trained in customer service anymore? Very disappointed in this store. I have given it several tries just in case it was a one time thing. It wasn't. I will not spend more there anymore.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I placed the order and two days after they just canceled it! I even didn't get any email notification from them! Just logged in my account to check shipping status and I saw that Sephora canceled my order! Will never never never visit your website or store again! Such an awful customer service!?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I placed a order because I need to buy some gifts and I signed up for 2 days shipping, today they just cancel the order without any call or communication. I called and they told me 2 years ago I placed a order and by mistake they double charge and I asked my bank to deal with since I was traveling. Because of this they ask to pay extra $19 to build a new account and then they will refund!!! What's is this!!! Unprofessional. No buy on-line anymore.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have been buying from the retail store in my local mall for years. Never had a problem with the makeup or the customer reps that work there. They were always helpful and very nice. I recommend that if you have issues with online Sephora to use the retail store instead. Also you can return items usually to the stores which is easier.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Placed an order online while visiting my mom in NY. Had to return to France, but as my mom is visiting me in 3 weeks she said she would bring the package. Kept asking my mother did you receive the package yet? She kept saying no. This went on for two weeks. I thought nothing of it as Sephora is a reputable brand and figured they're just late. Finally checked the status of my package on 8/17/17 to find out that the package was left outside my mother's front door. Who in their right minds would leave a package, let alone, a Sephora package in front of the door of an apartment building in NYC? I tried contacting customer service by phone but as I'm overseas it's not possible. So I contact Sephora by chat. Explain the situation to the representative and she had no clue, no explanation, nothing.

Finally she offers to reship, but at this point I'm hesitant because if it happened once, it could happen again. I ask her if she can ship overseas? No. Can she provide signature delivery confirmation? No. Can she leave a note with the delivery co. and tell them to A) please leave package in the mailbox, because you know, we have one. B) Ask the delivery person to come into the apartment building, knock on the door and deliver it into the hands of my mother. Or just send it straight to the post office. All no.

Because I live in France (yes there is a Sephora here) and they do not carry the same name brands, I gave in and said okay, just reship the package. At the last minute she then tells me that one of the items I ordered was no longer in stock. So after suggesting to me for over 20 minutes to get a re-delivery of the same package I now find out one item is missing. The whole process was just one big headache. I asked for a refund and asked for an email confirming the approval for the return and still nothing! All I can say is NEVER AGAIN! Sephora, work out your delivery service because for the amount of money I'm spending, this type of thing shouldn't be happening.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have been trying for 2 months to order online and I can't even login let alone start a basket. I always used online ordering because I am disabled and it is very difficult to get into and out of the mall.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I make orders online and then when I receive them, I get something completely different. Would recommend actually going into a store rather than risking them messing up. This happens every time I order online.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I visited the Sephora store inside Lakeline Mall and encountered a rude worker named Maria. I went in there and asked if I could have a sample and she looked confused looking at my phone. I stated that other workers did not have issues and she rudely replied, "I'm not having issues or trouble but I can't just give you a sample!" I was appalled by the reaction and response I received from this worker. There was no need for her hostile tone of response. If this worker represents the face of Sephora I will take my business elsewhere. A sample request from a customer should not be this difficult.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Purchased over $100 worth of items for my daughter's birthday. Paid for Express Post so it would arrive on time. 8 days later it has still not arrived so have to message Sephora on Facebook as they don't seem to ever answer their phones. Advised to ring Australia Post with the tracking number. Ring Australia Post and advised that the item hasn't even left Sephora yet. So my daughter won't be getting her birthday present on time. Absolutely disgusted with the service and the experience and will never shop here again. Have asked for a full refund but don't like my chances.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I am VERY UNHAPPY with the results from my experience waxing at the Benefit Eyebrow Bar in the Sephora located in JCPenney of Aventura Mall. I had never gotten my eyebrows waxed before (I've always done threading). I was happy to see that there was a new waxing option at Sephora. I am very pissed with the results. The sweet yet deceiving attending named Cinthyia, ruined by eyebrows. Not only is it abusive to charge more than $25 for these kinds of services especially when they are not performed to the customer's liking. I no longer have the eyebrows I use to like, I look like a short eyebrowed (with no form of arch) teenager.

Because of this experience Sephora has lost my business. And like me, Sephora had never seen such incoming business. Don't BOTHER trying out ANY benefit eyebrow waxing! It's not worth the horrid pain and displeasure of eyebrow appearance. I am soon leaving on vacation and because of Cinthyia, I am not fully content with my appearance, and for all you ladies hopefully reading this, we all know how we feel about our brows. No one can mess with them, unless you know what the hell you are doing. I am extremely displeased at Sephora mainly because the service is revealed as a life changing experience for women looking for a nicer look. Boy, did I get swindled. Like aforementioned, when you see the benefit brow bar ANYWHERE, keep walking. Get them waxed or attempt to try threading! That's really worth the strong pain, but as we women know. Beauty hurts!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I am so tired of every time I want something from Sephora, my local Sephora doesn't carry it so I'm forced to go online and buy it. That shouldn't be a problem since I am a "Rouge" member and I have Flash 2-day shipping, right? WRONG!!! Every time I order online my order takes a solid week, in fact I have an order I placed last Saturday that is still pending today, Thursday! It hasn't even shipped... Flash shipping my arse! They continuously screw up my orders, send me the wrong things, etc. Then of course it takes another 1-2 weeks to get me the right order, and on one occasion they shipped me the same wrong order THREE times. Customer service is awful because they do nothing to expedite the situation or really make me feel like they care that they are ripping people off for their flash shipping plan. I just want my stuff in a timely manner. Trust me if I could buy it elsewhere, I would!

Original review: June 5, 2017

BEWARE OF SEPHORA ONLINE!!! 2 weeks ago, I ordered some Marc Jacobs Foundation. Then last week I saw my American Express had charges for over 200.00 for four 53.00 lipsticks by Tom Ford. I would never spend 53.00 on a lipstick. Let alone a Ruby Rush dark red. I looked at the order and the first lipstick was a pink color and it had my address as the "Ship To" address. The 3 following ones had a "Ship To" Trong **. I am suspecting someone within the company doing this because when I searched I've seen others with the exact same products don't the same way. Whoever it is, is familiar with their order and shipping system. The way they did it, sent the first product to me in a different color and then the 3 others to them in another color. I am learning that Sephora doesn't like refunding for purchases and doesn't investigate if this happens.

I called last week and they said they were all canceled and the funds would be put back. I asked to speak with the Fraud dept and I was told I couldn't. They said that the situation would be investigated. I asked her "What if this guy has your card and does this to you?"... Silence.. She finally said she didn't know if they would do anything about it. I've got 200.00 in bills waiting to get paid. Thank God my husband didn't mail them.

It's been almost a week and nothing's been done. We just called. We got the same runaround. They said they could cancel the one that already shipped out, but not the other three because there was no tracking number. SERIOUSLY?!?!? They don't cancel before they get shipped? I've never heard of such a thing. The agent kept trying to drop it and leave it at that. Luckily my husband was home and had a deeper voice than I. He deals with Verizon customers every day and knew exactly how and what to say. We still only ended up with one of them being canceled and 150.00 still up in the air. They said to give it a week to 10 until they are shipped. I'm wondering if they will require me to return them. Short of going to that address and banging on their door, I have no way to get those 3 lipsticks.

Beware of Sephora. I am so angry right now. I love shopping at Sephora and now I have to cancel my account. We have adults here, so I can give them my business instead... In store. I have NEVER experienced customer service like this. It's mind boggling. Now I get to wait another week to call them again. I'm off to call my credit card and phone and explain why this month's bills aren't getting paid. So much for my credit score.

Original review: May 25, 2017

They said perfume delivered in 2 days. One week later no tracking number - Not sent out... Customer service does not know when it will be shipped or arrive. Will not guarantee my money can be returned. This was a birthday gift.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I have been a Sephora customer for years now and am VIB Rouge. First of all, I went into the store and bought a $58 product (I had to drive an hour to go to the store). The next morning I went to use the product - and it was completely empty so I had to drive another hour to return the empty product - store acted like it didn't even care and looked for residue in the bottle to make sure I was "faking it".

Second - this morning I was placing items in my cart that I was thinking about purchasing due to the 15% off sale. While doing so - I noticed that the Sephora Play! was open for subscription. I proceeded to subscribe. I was notified when doing so that the items already in my cart would be saved and not charged with the order. I proceeded. I got to the confirmation screen and chose which card I wanted to use and was told I'd be charged $10.97 (some change - don't remember exactly). I clicked that I understood the terms of Sephora Play! and clicked "charge". I was taken to a confirmation page.

In less than a minute I received an email confirmation on my order. The confirmation was for $138 and not the $10. The website DID NOT order the Sephora Play! - it ordered the other items that were in my cart that it said it would not charge. I only verified the $10 charge - nothing more. I had to wait for Sephora's phone hours to open. Once I did, I was told that they couldn't cancel the order until it shipped.

Now - okay - I kind of get this. BUT - they charged $138 to my account. That's $128 more than what I authorized. Yes, I had the items in my cart - but I wasn't even given the option add the bonus items that you can get - and I always charge my Sephora orders on my Discover due to getting Cash Back. So now, I have to wait and see if the order will be canceled. The kicker - there is only a 50% chance that it will be canceled. If it's not, I have to wait for the order to arrive at my door and then I have to ship it back. So, my account is $138 less for however long this is going to take. Ugh...

Original review: March 17, 2017

I love Play by Sephora because one it give me a steady gone mom a chance to treat myself to some little surprises each month. The customer service is always awesome and delivery is fast. Let's not forget to mention the price is incredible!

Original review: March 13, 2017

I am an online shopper. I love the convince & having my goods arrive right to my doorstep with a busy lifestyle it suits me perfectly. But that was not the case with Sephora! I have shopped with many well known retailers & I never once had any problems occur with Shipping. Firstly I was very excited to shop with the store for my love for makeup. I made an account, put in all my details, purchased a few products, at checkout I double checked on my details that it was all correct as well as Paypal details. But when Sephora emailed me my Order Summary on that it only stated my Street Name. I live in a apartment so there was No apartment number or the street number... I contacted Sephora to inform them of this I got no response. Finally after a week I got a email saying they will check on the details and any unclaimed order will get sent to their warehouse then they can re-send it to me to my appropriate address and sent me a tracking no.

So I waited another week still no package arrived. Then I decided to call the post to check on the status, I found out that the delivery driver has delivered my products at a "Safe Place"...? But I said "How can it be delivered at a Safe Place when you don't have my apartment number or street number??? And I did not Sign for it???" So the said I can dispute this and they will try to locate exactly what went wrong. Oh... & that the delivery person is away on sick leave??? STRANGE! I'm still waiting on a response. I have also emailed Sephora. Explain all of this and also not much is being done. Only a representative emailed me today. They she will check with Australia Post On the status! Still waiting, I just contacted PayPal & disputed this & hopefully I get a refund as I have buyer's protection. I guess I will just have to wait & see!

Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.

• Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.

• In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.

• In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.

• Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.

• Best for: Sephora is best for women seeking prestige makeup products. Also, women who want help learning the best ways to apply makeup.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs