2. Shopping
  3. Makeup Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5

Sephora Reviews

Original review: May 21, 2020

After placing my order on May 12th I still haven’t received it. As a VIB Member and a 2-day shipping member I expect more respect to its regular customers. I understand it’s covid but it doesn’t mean that sephora cannot give a ** on its customers. I have received a package from abroad already in 4 days so I don’t believe that it’s because of covid. Also they don’t reply on my multiple emails from May 18th. Call customer service doesn’t work. Sephora Credit card doesn’t work too. What’s going on??

Original review: May 15, 2020

I made a purchase on April the 29th 2020. Granted I don't order a lot too often but I read all the warnings of the Covid 19 more time to ship notices. Well I checked my account status for 15 days (yes 15) and during this time my item dropped in price by 6.00 (not a lot but it's the principal). During my daily check in is when my invoice changed reflecting the New Lower price. I thought goody. I might be waiting forever but at least it will be less. (Or so I thought.)

When I finally got the email saying it shipped on day 15. It was back at regular price. So I called and spoke to a customer service agent names Nicholas. (A kinda cocky little feller.) He let me know that Sephora doesn't honor price drops unless you are in a 7 day window. It doesn't matter that my package had never left their warehouse. He assured me I should have called. I said, "Sir, you all changed my invoice. You shouldn't have done that if you were not gonna honor the price drop." That is just bad business & you all should be better people. I plan on taking my little item to the Brick & Mortar store for a refund when it arrives.

Get buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 30, 2020

Service is very hit or miss, mostly miss. I am ignored most of the time and have to seriously chase people down for help, even if stores are not busy. I've noticed this across all stores I've been to--downtown Seattle, Pine St, Bellevue Square, Dallas Galleria, North Park Dallas, Tampa Westfield, Shops at Willow Bend (Plano) etc. Very few beauty advisors are helpful in finding my foundation shades, picking the right skincare, making eyeshadow palette choices. I noticed this whether or not I am wearing full-faced makeup. Employees can be a little snobby, but at least not as bad as MAC. They have nice selection of products but I prefer Nordstrom and Ulta for service.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I have a store credit gift card that I am not able to use because the stores are closed due to the pandemic so I called customer service to see if I could use it online and her response was that it doesn't expire. This is extremely frustrating considering I cannot go to the store and use it and I need a product and I cannot use the $60 I ashtray have in store credit. Very dissapointed.

Original review: April 19, 2020

I purchased a gift card and sent it to my daughter in law. However it got lost in the mail and unfortunately it was not tracked. This happened 5 months ago. Even though I have my receipt and the card has not been redeemed Sephora will not issue a new card. I have called the store, customer service and online customer service with no luck. Any other company will issue a new card and invalidate the old one. Not Sephora. It is just free money for them. They have lost me as a customer and anyone else that I share this story with. Beware. This company sucks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: March 20, 2020

I placed an order online for 2 items, the following day i was unwell and asked to go on precautionary sick leave considering the COVID 19 times we are living in.

I called early the next day ( delivery day) to change the location of my delivery address. All was confirmed and the agent assured me that I would receive a call back to reconfirm. I received a missed call only to call back immediately. Upon that call the agent reconfirmed the address and assured me my delivery would be made today. Nothing arrived.

The next day I waited patiently until the afternoon, only to be told that the contents of my delivery was sent to my work address. I explained all of the above, asking why they had not communicate the change in delivery. The agent online assured me that they will call me back with a solution. No call back! I called back that evening. Only to have spoken to the same person who promised to call me back and I received the coldest, automated and unhelpful response I have ever experienced.

He kept repeated that this was under investigation and someone will get back to me. When I asked what sort of investigation was being conducted, as this is a simple case of miscommunication between 2 departments he then shared that he has already reached out to their courier and had no reply. I then asked to speak to a supervisor considering that he was not able to give me clear information, He refused, saying "Someone will call me back". A short while after arguing with this agent, mentioning that this was very unprofessional and unhelpful considering I have already paid for my purchase he then told me - nothing can be done because it has already been delivered, even if its to the wrong address - it cannot be retrieved and brought to me.

I eventually got called back by the Supervisor Aman, who consistently said the same thing, that management will not allow for the courier to redeliver and that there was nothing they can do. I asked then to please have an acknowledgment email with all of our correspondence sent to me so that I can take this up with their "management". He assured I would receive this mail before the end of the shift which ends at 10pm. Nothing was received.

I have been buying the same product from Sephora for more than 5 years and this experience was to me shocking. The fact that at a time like this , a mistake is made from their teams and I - the paying customer has to leave quarantine and risk the safety of those in my office to collect a purchase - or I go without my paid for product and risk a break out in my skin ( product is 2 x triple cleansing water solutions). This is very disheartening and I appalled by the negligence, lack of empathy and lack of the Sephora team taking ownership over their mistake amongst the call centers communication.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I made a purchase online of an expensive dry bar hair dryer (it was awful... my hair got stuck and it burned me, but that is besides the point). It had no inner packaging or return label so I popped into a Sephora near me... The return was quick, I was a day past my 30 so the lady said they were gonna issue store credit. Cool I thought.... as I always buy stuff online. This was the first time I ever got store credit instead of a refund and it came to my surprise that I could not use the store credit for online purchases?! the kicker is... this was not explained to me... This is the only retail store I have EVER heard of that does not allow you to use store credit online. I usually only shop online because work keeps me busy but I do spend....

Since I made the return two weeks ago...and now the stores aren't opened. I made a complaint by phone. I got "well you can use it in a few months...." Almost $200 in purgatory. What a stupid way to handle the customer experience. We live in an a technologically advanced world with people who have accessibility issues... and now that the stores are closed for an undetermined amount of time... all the more reason to change the archaic method of fund allocation for returns/exchanges. The lack of transparency by the cashier who "refunded" me is absolutely WRONG. SEPHORA you need to update this policy. It is ridiculous.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I was told to go online with Beauty Rewards to get my $100 coupons @ 9am PST & it didn’t show up. Zero. Nothing. Kept refreshing from 8:55-9:00. Called and out of stock. Wow. Annoying.. & yes ridiculous. Spent thousands to get a measly couple of $100 coupons & this stupid game ensues.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

Received email from Sephora on 2/18 for 15% off promo starting 2/20. Went back to email today and offer disappeared. But footnote still references an offer. I saw on online forums this was happening other people too. I called and they said I did not qualify for offer. Then why send me email offering it to me and them why change the email erasing the offer. Shady business practices.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

FALSE ADVERTISING! Buyer beware! I went in this store to buy a pro brush which an associate then ordered for me online because they were sold out in store. After the order was complete, I was told that it was not half off even though there was a sign that said "50% off pro brushes". When I asked to speak to a manager, she informed me that it was on select brushes. I told her there was no asterisk or disclosure that said as such and that it was false advertising. Her response? "I know. You can wait for the package and then return it." She didn't take the sign down, nor did she try to make it right by honoring the advertised price. Shame on you Sephora Lynnfield!

Sephora author review by ConsumerAffairs

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.

• Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.

• In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.

• In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.

• Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team