Sephora

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

BEWARE OF SEPHORA ONLINE!!! 2 weeks ago, I ordered some Marc Jacobs Foundation. Then last week I saw my American Express had charges for over 200.00 for four 53.00 lipsticks by Tom Ford. I would never spend 53.00 on a lipstick. Let alone a Ruby Rush dark red. I looked at the order and the first lipstick was a pink color and it had my address as the "Ship To" address. The 3 following ones had a "Ship To" Trong **. I am suspecting someone within the company doing this because when I searched I've seen others with the exact same products don't the same way. Whoever it is, is familiar with their order and shipping system. The way they did it, sent the first product to me in a different color and then the 3 others to them in another color. I am learning that Sephora doesn't like refunding for purchases and doesn't investigate if this happens.

I called last week and they said they were all canceled and the funds would be put back. I asked to speak with the Fraud dept and I was told I couldn't. They said that the situation would be investigated. I asked her "What if this guy has your card and does this to you?"... Silence.. She finally said she didn't know if they would do anything about it. I've got 200.00 in bills waiting to get paid. Thank God my husband didn't mail them.

It's been almost a week and nothing's been done. We just called. We got the same runaround. They said they could cancel the one that already shipped out, but not the other three because there was no tracking number. SERIOUSLY?!?!? They don't cancel before they get shipped? I've never heard of such a thing. The agent kept trying to drop it and leave it at that. Luckily my husband was home and had a deeper voice than I. He deals with Verizon customers every day and knew exactly how and what to say. We still only ended up with one of them being canceled and 150.00 still up in the air. They said to give it a week to 10 until they are shipped. I'm wondering if they will require me to return them. Short of going to that address and banging on their door, I have no way to get those 3 lipsticks.

Beware of Sephora. I am so angry right now. I love shopping at Sephora and now I have to cancel my account. We have adults here, so I can give them my business instead... In store. I have NEVER experienced customer service like this. It's mind boggling. Now I get to wait another week to call them again. I'm off to call my credit card and phone and explain why this month's bills aren't getting paid. So much for my credit score.

They said perfume delivered in 2 days. One week later no tracking number - Not sent out... Customer service does not know when it will be shipped or arrive. Will not guarantee my money can be returned. This was a birthday gift.

I have been a Sephora customer for years now and am VIB Rouge. First of all, I went into the store and bought a $58 product (I had to drive an hour to go to the store). The next morning I went to use the product - and it was completely empty so I had to drive another hour to return the empty product - store acted like it didn't even care and looked for residue in the bottle to make sure I was "faking it".

Second - this morning I was placing items in my cart that I was thinking about purchasing due to the 15% off sale. While doing so - I noticed that the Sephora Play! was open for subscription. I proceeded to subscribe. I was notified when doing so that the items already in my cart would be saved and not charged with the order. I proceeded. I got to the confirmation screen and chose which card I wanted to use and was told I'd be charged $10.97 (some change - don't remember exactly). I clicked that I understood the terms of Sephora Play! and clicked "charge". I was taken to a confirmation page.

In less than a minute I received an email confirmation on my order. The confirmation was for $138 and not the $10. The website DID NOT order the Sephora Play! - it ordered the other items that were in my cart that it said it would not charge. I only verified the $10 charge - nothing more. I had to wait for Sephora's phone hours to open. Once I did, I was told that they couldn't cancel the order until it shipped.

Now - okay - I kind of get this. BUT - they charged $138 to my account. That's $128 more than what I authorized. Yes, I had the items in my cart - but I wasn't even given the option add the bonus items that you can get - and I always charge my Sephora orders on my Discover due to getting Cash Back. So now, I have to wait and see if the order will be canceled. The kicker - there is only a 50% chance that it will be canceled. If it's not, I have to wait for the order to arrive at my door and then I have to ship it back. So, my account is $138 less for however long this is going to take. Ugh...

I love Play by Sephora because one it give me a steady gone mom a chance to treat myself to some little surprises each month. The customer service is always awesome and delivery is fast. Let's not forget to mention the price is incredible!

I am an online shopper. I love the convince & having my goods arrive right to my doorstep with a busy lifestyle it suits me perfectly. But that was not the case with Sephora! I have shopped with many well known retailers & I never once had any problems occur with Shipping. Firstly I was very excited to shop with the store for my love for makeup. I made an account, put in all my details, purchased a few products, at checkout I double checked on my details that it was all correct as well as Paypal details. But when Sephora emailed me my Order Summary on that it only stated my Street Name. I live in a apartment so there was No apartment number or the street number... I contacted Sephora to inform them of this I got no response. Finally after a week I got a email saying they will check on the details and any unclaimed order will get sent to their warehouse then they can re-send it to me to my appropriate address and sent me a tracking no.

So I waited another week still no package arrived. Then I decided to call the post to check on the status, I found out that the delivery driver has delivered my products at a "Safe Place"...? But I said "How can it be delivered at a Safe Place when you don't have my apartment number or street number??? And I did not Sign for it???" So the said I can dispute this and they will try to locate exactly what went wrong. Oh... & that the delivery person is away on sick leave??? STRANGE! I'm still waiting on a response. I have also emailed Sephora. Explain all of this and also not much is being done. Only a representative emailed me today. They she will check with Australia Post On the status! Still waiting, I just contacted PayPal & disputed this & hopefully I get a refund as I have buyer's protection. I guess I will just have to wait & see!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

I like the variety of samples in the SEPHORA beauty box. The samples are decent sized and are brands I am interested in trying. I really appreciate that I earn SEPHORA rewards points for the purchase of the box and that I earn extra points if I buy a full sized product included in the box.

Using Sephora makeup, very awesome line eye (Works great for my g'daughter pageant. Is awesome.) from eye colors to highlighting your face and please try the spray for after you apply and finished with your makeup about three spray it's done, for me my makeup stays all day!! I truly recommend everyone to try it at least one time. Prices vary on different items, but I have found from the lowest to the highest price... It's truly worth the money. Just try it once. You may be hook also.

Sephora Flash is a complete waste of money and its description is misleading. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I placed THREE online orders in February, along with two in-store shopping trips. The first two orders I placed in February shipped the same day I placed the order or the day after. Because my third order was needed in a rush, I purchased a subscription to Flash just in case. There was no status update the next day so I inquired about my order and was told it might not ship for another 24-48 hours! The representative told me that the 2 day shipping does not include 1-3 days for processing, which completely contradicts the advertised information.

After explaining this to a second "customer service" representative, I was simply given a link that shows shipping times - still not rectifying the situation or doing anything to appease me as a customer who spends hundreds of dollars a month at this company. Regardless of what representatives have said, according to Sephora's shipping guidelines, my order should have shipped and it did not. But bear in mind, when you sign up for Flash, you're agreeing to terms and conditions that basically say this expedited shipping is never guaranteed, so therefore you're throwing your money away. I would have just gone into the store, but I like the free samples that I get when I order online. Now I'll be cutting my ties with Sephora and shopping directly with the cosmetics brands I use.

I had purchased an eyeliner at Sephora a few months back on my gift card that I had gotten for my birthday, well I had brought it back because I didn't like it, well the girl Sephora exchanged it for a different eyeliner I had purchased and instead of taking out of my gift card she had charged my credit card, in which I noticed that when I got my credit card statement. This dumb girl never credited back to my gift card. This purchase was also at the Sephora at JCPenney in Flint MI. When I tried to make a purchase with gift card I was told I had a lower amount, so this girl must have kept the 30.00 dollars on my gift card. When I went up there to point out mistake, the manager said there is nothing they can do about it. I tried to explain but sorry! Well I will never step into another Sephora period! I will shop at Ulta. They are thieves so be very careful when you shop there!

The previous reviewer of Sephora thought her experience was based on racism, I think perhaps age? I was in the Sephora at Rivertown Mall in Wyoming Mi and had the same type of treatment (I am a ** senior). I went in specifically because of the number of brands they carry and for, what I assumed to be, professional help. I was ignored while others were helped and staff chatted together in the aisles. When I approached a couple of the chatters for help, they were all aflutter because they already had a list of people waiting (I had been on it for a while already and could see why).

Once I got "help" I was told I needed to already know the brand and type of foundation I wanted because she could only try ONE on me. And I needed her why? I went there so they could help me with that. So I picked a brand and she determined my color undertone. She came back with something else (in a different tone because she knew the other would be too light). I was very specific nothing with pink or peachy tone, she paid no attention. To say she was disinterested/bored is an understatement. Their mirrors are all dark coated so you can't determine much yourself. She kept pushing additional products. I purchased the foundation and was furious when I looked in my car mirror and saw my rosy pink face. Went back in and returned it. Will never go back. They act as if they are doing you a favor by even minimally doing their job.

I am a local at Sephora, they sell top selling brands although their service isn't matched. I bought a Kat Von D foundation online in the shade neutral 54 and I received another shade that wasn't what I ordered. I contacted Sephora and they sent out another one to correct their mistake although again it is the wrong shade and now they are not replying to me at all. This is getting beyond ridiculous, I paid for a shade I didn't receive and now the wait time is only increasing, and they are no longer replying to me.

I am disgusted with the service I received and how boldly this cashier acted towards me. I gave her a 20 dollar bill to pay for a pearl face mask that was 4 dollars. I received back 76 cents total. As I was very confused this happened, I asked her where the rest of my change was and replied with "You only gave me a 5 sweetie." I repeatedly told her that this wasn't the case. I asked for the manager and the only thing she said I could do was to wait for a call in the morning and see if the drawer was 14 dollars over. Although I was still livid I figured I didn't want to make a scene. I waited for the call today, never got one. I finally called today around 4 and the manager answered and as I explained what happened and that I didn't get a call she said she was very sorry but she didn't find any money. I asked her if there was any possibility the woman pocketed the money and she said "Absolutely not." I told her that she lost my service and I hung up.

Whenever I go into a Sephora store, they fail to greet me, while greeting others. I'm hardly ever approached, while they gladly approach other customers on their own. I never look like a homeless person; in fact, I try to look my best whenever I go to a Sephora. But it seems to be useless. I've been a Sephora customer for many years. When I asked for a sample, the employee claimed she was busy and said she'll get someone else to help. And no one came. Then I asked another employee, and she rudely said she was busy. And then I asked another one - same thing. It was like a repeated slap in the face. And then I saw the same employees gladly and immediately making samples for others customers - who were worse-dressed/groomed than I was. Sephora is a lookist, racist place.

I've attended a few of their classes, where I was ignored, spoken to condescendingly, made to feel less valued than others, and assumed to know nothing about makeup when I'm very knowledgeable about it. I'm actually passionate about makeup, and have lots of the products Sephora sells. But shockingly, I'm assumed to know nothing about makeup. It's fine to order online, but the stores are extremely discriminatory, judgmental, hurtful, and unfair. They really love and appreciate some customers while degrading and rejecting others.

It's a terrible place to shop if you're not **, fairly attractive, look very expensive, and have that clubby Sephora vibe. Extremely exclusionary place. Do not spend any of your money there! Boycott Sephora for their severe discrimination and overt racism. By the way - I live in one of the most "progressive" cities in America, one that prides itself on "diversity." For Sephoras in my city to treat me this bad is absolutely shocking and hypocritical.

In Fall of 2016 I moved addresses and updated the information for my Sephora Play! monthly subscription box. I made sure to update both my shipping address and my payment address, which happen to be the same. I did not receive my box so I contacted customer service and was told that I had not given them enough time to ship to my new address, despite the fact that I gave Sephora 6 weeks notice of the change of information. They said that month's box had been shipped to my old address and there was nothing anyone could do but that my next box would be shipping to me soon. I was put off for sure but wrote it off as a mistake... then I didn't get my next box. I called and waited on the phone for hours. I talked to a slew of polite but completely inept employees who didn't have any answers. I was told I would be contacted by a manager but never was.

Several weeks later I received an e-mail stating that what had happened was they were unable to process my payment information so my monthly subscription was cancelled but that I could join the waiting list to subscribe again once there is room. To cancel my account and make me wait to join again when the error is the company's mistake is terrible customer service. I was told the payment was not processed and my account was not charged. That was not true. I was charged for two boxes in a row that I never received. It has been 5 months and I have gotten no where with customer service. Also there has been no room on the wait list in that time.

As I begin to look online to see if this has happened to anyone else I am seeing that it has happened to a ton of people. I have worked in promotional marketing on a large corporate contract as a brand representative for 6 years now. After reviewing hundreds of claims that Sephora is stealing money from its customers all I am left thinking is, why has there not been a lawsuit over this??? If anyone is involving themselves in litigation for these matters with this company please contact me as my bank records clearly show that my payment was processed though I received no product from them.

I will never purchase another item from them no matter what and I am absolutely not interested in subscribing to the MO they box again. Anyone looking for better offers should look into Ipsy and Birchbox (which are the same price as Play!) Or Julep which is pricier but really awesome. I have never been treated so rudely by a company and I think Sephora should be ashamed of how they ate conducting business. A quick search online reveals the company's history with racial prejudice towards anyone who is not white in addition to their shady dealings of stealing money from customers without shipping products. BOYCOTT SEPHORA!!! PASS THE WORD AROUND THE GLOBE!!! THIS COMPANY IS POORLY RUN AND IS UNETHICAL.

My daughter placed an order to ship to me for Christmas. When she asked me about it I told her what was in the package and two of the items that were ordered and paid by from her were missing. She called Sephora customer service and they still have not sent out the two missing items nor did they reimburse her yet. The package was sealed and in perfect condition. They just forgot to mail the two other items but they tried to blame UPS which it was not their fault. It was Sephora's error which they are trying not to make good on. My daughter spends a fortune at the store and sometimes on their website you would think they would offer good customer service but it doesn't exist.

After my nightmare experience with Sephora's customer service, I felt compelled to create an account and write a review--something I've never done. After my order never made it to my house, I contacted Sephora's customer service number to inquire about my shipment. I was told my package had been returned to their warehouse, however, I'd never been contacted about the delivery issue... Perhaps an error on UPS's part. Regardless, I was interrupted from the moment the conversation with the "beauty advisor" started. I helped explain my end of the issue the best I could, throughout the frequent interruptions, and learned they were going to have to send out a new shipment since my original order was returned without my knowing. I was told some of the rewards and samples I had hand picked were no longer in stock and I wouldn't be receiving them.

Since the tracking information showed the package had been on my street the day before, I was puzzled as to how my order could already be altered. Additionally, why was anything from my order being altered and given to other customers at no fault of my own? As I worked to frame my questions in a way the "beauty advisor" could understand, throughout continued and extremely frustrating interruptions, the only response I kept receiving was "your items are no longer available. Your items are no longer available. Your items are no longer available." That sentence rang through my head like a broken record. Why are the items that showed they were on my street just yesterday no longer available?

The response, again by interruption, was "there is nothing I can do." I asked then if I could speak with anybody else that could explain why my items were no longer available and there was nothing he could do, but he said I would need to hang up, call back, and speak to someone else that way because he would not transfer me. I certainly understand triaging and managing calls in a way that reduces the number of escalations. But there must be a better sense of customer service or lack thereof than to recommend I hang up and speak to someone all over again. I'm shocked that Sephora would train their customer service representatives... Sorry, their "beauty advisors" this poorly. I did exactly as told by this pitiful representative, and was connected with another "beauty advisor".

Lo and behold, no notes had been added to my account so I had to re-explain my situation all over again. At least this representative attempted to locate the package to request the drive stop the return--a step in the right direction. Though unsuccessful, he did try to better explain to me why I was no longer going to receive the rewards & a samples I had hand picked. While we decided on picking out new options instead, this "beauty advisor" could not pronounce or explain a single one of my options. He could not explain or remotely describe the items I was supposed to be picking from.

I finally agreed to a couple items, I truly had no idea what was picked because my beauty advisor could not tell me. When he couldn't add them to my cart for whatever reason, he told me I would need to wait until his supervisor could help... Which was perfectly fine... Until he said he had no idea when that would be because he doesn't see anybody nearby. And that I might be better off keeping the points and saving them for next time. We'd been on the phone 40 minutes at this point, so I agreed and was provided a new order with fewer and/or completely different products than I originally ordered. After all this, I'm honestly still not completely sure I understand why.

How does a multi-million dollar company decide to hire this level of customer service? How does any company for that matter, regardless of net worth, allow that embarrassing level of customer service to take place on their dime? I am absolutely ashamed of the way my calls were handled. Never once have I written a negative review, but I couldn't quite get this out of my head, even after taking several days to sleep on it. Please Sephora, for the sake of the customers that would like to return but are now looking to buy elsewhere, you must address your customer service standards.

I bought my daughter Sephora gift certificate Christmas. When she went to use it they told her there was a zero balance. I bought it on December 17th and I called customer service. They told me it was bought on December 13th, Peabody North Shore Shopping Center, and that it was cashed January 4th in Florida 2017. I believe I was conned by the salesperson at the North Shore Shopping Center Sephora. I have been getting the runaround customer service for 2 days. Will try back again today. Until this is resolved I will call everyday.

I am a long-time customer of Sephora. In November I ordered mascara total approximately $50. The package never arrived. I called and wrote Sephora. In response I received 6 phone calls from UPS. Each time I reported that I did not receive the package. Still no refund, no mascara. Ultimately I called the credit card company. Would you believe Sephora is arguing? How can I ever trust them to do business in good faith?

Placed a order on the 7th and after four days it had not shipped. During this time I called to see what was wrong. They said all my items or most were out of stock and that I would have to wait for them to be in stock to ship and then receive them to return them. So even though my order had not shipped and was out of stock I couldn't cancel it or do anything until they restocked and shipped then mailed and I had received. Then I would be charged shipping and refunded for a shipment I did not want. There was no tracking on my order so I was forced to take their word that shipping took almost two weeks. I think they lie. Then I was told my refund would take four weeks to process, so altogether six weeks. This company is bizarre, really bad and needs a lawsuit against them. There's something wrong going on here. I will never shop at Sephora again.

Lately when I visit Sephora stores, their inventory is low. Wanted Dr. Brandt's Pores No More, a pretty standard item. They did not have any in stock so had to order online. Also added the Dry Bar Beauty bundle to the order, which is supposed to have a curling item and blow dryer. Ten days later my order comes in, in a huge ridiculous oversized box (they advertise fast three day shipping, but it is anything but). There is the Pores no More, some samples but no Dry Bar Bundle stuff. What the **. So I call customer service and after a long wait on the phone, am informed they have to do an investigation into why it was not included in my order. What kind of crappy customer service is this?

I ordered this curling iron and blow dryer for the holidays and of course it will not be here in time. The correct company answer should have been to send out a Dry Bar blowout bundle to me, and do their own internal investigation. The bundle set I ordered is not cheap and I have been a customer of theirs for years. I should not be inconvenienced because of sloppy employee work or dishonest employees. Not at all happy with Sephora.

I work for Sephora for 13 years and recently had a total hip replacement on September 14th. I was put on short term disability June 6th, however, my short term disability is running into long term. Our insurance company is the Hartford. Hartford received all the paperwork from my surgeon, primary care and notes from my physical therapist. It clearly state that Total hip replacement take 6 months to a year, might be more depending on the individual. Hartford sent me a letter stating that they need more proof that I need long term disability. I reached out to our leave management of Sephora, left 2 messages plus an e-mail. No one has contacted me.

I called Hartford 4 times and no one returned my call. I am about to lose my insurance because of non-payment. Who does that to someone that cannot move around or take public transportation. I riding this review so someone might be able to help. I will get channel 7 on my side. I also contacted the CEO of Hartford, Mr Swift.

Item was finally delivered on 12/15 after FedEx actually received it on 12/12 (15 days after ordering it)

Troy of Milpitas, CA on

Original Review

I ordered an item that they were out of stock on (Master Palette by Mario). They advertised a special release of more inventory at midnight on Nov. 27th EST. As soon as it was available I ordered it. It's for a Christmas present and not for me. On Dec. 4th I called and waited on hold forever because the item had still not shipped. I ended up hanging up and sending an e-mail instead. I then got a response that the item was shipped and a tracking number to be delivered Dec. 9th. It's now Dec 9th, and the tracking says "shipping label created" still. I called again, only to be told they would check into it, and notify their supervisor. It's been two weeks and still hasn't even shipped, and I've already paid for the item. At this point, I don't see that I will ever get it and may need to back-charge my credit card. This was my first and only time shopping at Sephora, and will be my last.

Sephora really knows how to reel in customers with shiny freebie bait, but once they've got you hooked, they fail on customer service. I'm giving them 2 stars purely because they are geniuses at getting their customers to be loyal and purchase often. I recently placed an order online with the intent to use the current reward coupon for $20 off a purchase of $50 or more. However, I clicked the "submit order" button right before realizing that I hadn't entered the promo code.

About 20 minutes later I called Sephora customer service only to learn that they NEVER update or cancel orders. What kind of customer service is that? I had placed my order less than an hour before calling, and my update wouldn't have affected my order at all, only how much my credit card was charged. At first they said my only option was to place a whole new order and then ship back the first order once I received it (which is really inconvenient). It was only after stating how upset I was with the company that they said they would look into the possibility of MAYBE canceling my order. I was really shocked and disappointed by their policy, especially considering that I'm a VIB client, which means that I spend hundreds of dollars with them every year. I truly can't wrap my head around their total disregard for customer satisfaction.

In addition, earlier this year I had a negative experience with their in-store customer service. The beauty adviser I was matched with to give me recommendations on a number of products I needed had very little knowledge of the products in the store and was not helpful in the slightest. I was also supposed to receive a complimentary makeover, but was rudely ignored. I'm almost at the breaking point of just trying to order all my beauty products on Amazon, which I regard as a much more customer-friendly company. They at least let you cancel an order before it gets shipped.

I have been a long time customer of Sephora for years. I have spent SO MUCH money with Sephora as a VIB Rouge member. Over the years my biggest complaint with Sephora has been the warehouse shipping broken items. In fact I purchased a palette that arrived shattered, they sent me another one and again it came with one of the highlighters broken. I took that into the store so that I did not have to deal with online CS and they gave me a refund on a gift card.

Last Sunday for the VIB Rouge 20% off sale I attempted to use my gift card for some items. The gift card showed as $73.83 and my remaining balance was $8.77 that came out of my PayPal debit card. Upon checking out I hit 'PLACE ORDER' and I received red lettering that told me the order could not be processed because an item I had in my cart was now out of stock. I was ok with it, so I went back to order something else...however, when I tried to use the gift card for an item that was in stock, it told me I had zero on the card. I then get an email from PayPal telling me Sephora changed me the remaining $8.77 so I thought the order went through after all. So I call to be sure and the rep tells me it was a mistake and that it will take 1-7 days for the money to go back on my gift card or for my PayPal to be credited. I was upset because the sale ended the next day.

Later that night the rep called me back to tell me that her supervisor was going to take care of it and I would have my money back within 24 hrs. It has been a week and NOTHING. I see that the 8.77 they took out for the remaining balance has expired in PayPal but my gift card is still at ZERO. So, I call today to find out that now they are saying I never had money on that gift card. Of course I am pissed so now I had to call the store that issued the card and ask them for that receipt. They have to contact their audit department to get it and someone will call me back!! I am so over it with Sephora. They pack products TERRIBLY and ship them only to lose money because the items come damaged and they have to send out another. And that has happened too many times to count & Now this? Horrible customer service, and it is a shame.

I have a wrong shipping address for my order. In order to change that, I call customer service at least 10 call, one everyday, to change that!!! And I still cannot change it!!! They told me they cannot it because of UPS, but actually It's because they didn't upload some information in time, so I cannot change it!!! Even if the packet will be delivered to a wrong place today. So who the hell can change that!!!

I went to the Sephora in J.C. Penney in Houston, Texas in Willowbrook Mall. I told the clerk I needed a moisturizer for dry skin. She sold me a product called Butter Drench for 38.00 plus tax. I used it 1 time and it blistered my face. The burning was like a burn. On Monday Oct.10, 2016 I returned it and told the girl what had happened, and that I wanted to credit my Penney account. They told me argan oil would help and wanted to sell me some. I told them to "give me a sample because your product was what caused." Not one time did she show any concern. The oil did not help. I ended up using Vaseline and it did help. Your clerk did not tell me the product was for wrinkles. It had stronger than I can use, as I am 81 yrs.old.

I went to the Sephora inside the JC Penney store at the West Covina Mall on October 2, 2016 at around noon to return a highlighter from the brand Becca because it did not suit my skin tone. I got the shade Pearl because it was the lightest of all but unfortunately it didn't work out for me. I have had the highlighter for a month before I decide to return it without the receipt because I threw it away (I don't keep all my receipts). I looked around and I decided to do an exchange with the Laura Mercier brand instead which would be a $7 difference which I would gladly pay the difference for.

I got to the counter to start the exchange process when the associate at the counter rudely told me "You might be given the lowest price for the exchange. That's just the way it is." I told her that I have heard no such thing before nor is that legal simply because I did not have a receipt. After questioning her about this, she then told me "well that's just the way it is. I'm telling you."

I then gave her my credit card to pay for the difference and something had happened on the screen, I think, but she made me stand there and wait without even saying what was going on. I had been in line for about 30 minutes without a word on what was happening. I then said to her that I had to go to work just like she did and that she wasn't the only one that had work today.

Finally, with my receipt came an advisory saying I was banned from returning any further items for a period of 180 days because of suspected fraud. First of all I am a regular Sephora customer. I shop at Sephora almost every month. I do throw my receipts away sometimes but I return products that do not work out for me. Not everyone can just throw things away that don't work for them.

Secondly if this is Sephora's policy of taking returned items back for a lower price, they need to indicate that on their website. People need to be aware of such policy before bringing back items without a receipt. Not everyone is going to commit fraud by returning items without a receipt. They also need to improve customer service training and retrain employees on how to treat people better and not treat them like a criminal and make it so difficult for them to return something they did not particularly care for. It's a beauty store, different things work for different people.

I am an overseas customer from Melbourne, Australia, who shopped at Sephora in San Francisco in December last year. I bought about $US300 worth of makeup and perfume, and was double-charged for part of this transaction. I have been trying to get a refund of the double-charge since December to no avail. The head office has been a nightmare to deal with and asked me to check with my bank to see if it was an error on their part (which of course it wasn't!). I was ignored and then passed on to another customer service rep who has still not resolved my query/complaint. I am furious with the blatant disregard for my request even if it is for a small amount in their eyes.

As a goodwill gesture, I offered a solution for a credit note for the Melbourne, Australia store for the amount of the double-charge, but this was also declined. Good to know how "important" this company views their customers! I will definitely never shop at this store again anywhere in the world and I would encourage others to do the same. You will be treated like a number and completely ignored if you have any complaints or follow-up queries. Very disappointed!

I am completely turned off from purchasing products from Sephora ever again. I love the products they have but I will now be getting them directly from the brands themselves and not supporting Sephora. My reason being the horrible lack of customer service when due to an issue with ordering online. I tried to order a makeup palette with my credit card and each time it could not process and my card was declined on the website. I later found out the reason was I wanted it sent to my mothers house instead of my own address. Knowing I had the money in my account I checked my bank. I had been charged twice for the product but no order had gone through online.

I quickly called Sephora and the first person I spoke to basically yelled at me and told me, "Oh you get the money back in 8 days, it's the banks problem". I called my bank and they said it was actually Sephora's issue. I called Sephora back and the put in a complaint and the girl told me I'd have my money back in 3 days. It's been 8 days so I called again. I was told, "Oh actually you live in Canada it'll be 14 business days, you were given the wrong info. For your trouble we can give you 100 points". To be honest I laughed at this.

This has been quite the stress for me and I plan to never shop here again honestly. What I do ask is for them to fix their website. The thing I don't understand is how you get charged anyways when it can't simply block the charge and say the info is incorrect before proceeding like every other website. But to be charged twice with no product, having to wait two weeks for a refund (on their mistake by the way) and only offered 100 points. Fix your website Sephora. I read online this has happened to many people. Not all of us are wealthy and have money to throw down the drain. I was of course happy to buy the product once and receive it! Not to be charged twice for nothing and dealing with the headache. Honestly good riddance.

I had the misfortune of trying to place an order with Sephora.com last week. I have always been a Sephora store shopper but short on time decided to place an order online. What a costly nightmare. I placed an order for two items and submitted the order. The screen notified that my order had not been processed. Go to my credit card and there is a charge for 67.84 from Sephora. So you take the money but refuse to process the order because my billing and shipping addresses are different?? Call and email customer service. They refuse to help me. Tell me that the charge will fall off in 1-7 days. The charge is still there as PENDING. IF it at least was moved to an actual charge I could dispute it with my credit card company. Why is Sephora successfully charging orders but not sending product.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.
  • Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.
  • In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.
  • In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.
  • Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.
  • Best for Sephora is best for women seeking prestige makeup products. Also, women who want help learning the best ways to apply makeup.

Compare Makeup Brands