1.94/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

192 Sephora Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I noticed that there are ONLY bad reviews on here of Sephora. I guess that the thousands of everyday customers that are happy don't take the time to do this. I have been a customer for years and buy from them AT LEAST once a week. The best part is no matter how big or small my order, I always get free shipping. The rewards and perks are GREAT! In fact, I just received a $25 off of $75 coupon in the mail and used it tonight. That is a GREAT coupon as it is rare if ever that the top-line cosmetics go on sale or are discounted. It felt so good to purchase the unbelievably expensive eyeshadow palette that I have been pining over since it was reduced by 25. Made it worth it to take the plunge. I always get coupons and free items from Sephora and never have any of my orders been incorrect or problematic.

The ONLY bad thing I have to say is about the free samples. For one, they used to give 3 samples and NOT ONCE out of 1,000 orders have I actually received the free samples that I selected in my order. That is awful as I sometimes make a purchase JUST to get the samples I order. If they cannot give you the sample you actually order online, then don't allow the option to select. It is extremely frustrating. Then I end up having to go on eBay and BUY my sample anyway. They always advertise new perfumes as a free sample, but never have I ever received any of these new perfume samples ordered. Instead, I get three postcards with a dash of makeup primer by benefit. Those went right in the trash.

Other than the clear problem they have with filling orders properly, (free sample mass confusion), it is a great experience. I shop at Sephora more than ANY store. There is just never a time when you have enough makeup and/or skincare products. Just when you think you are "good" a new invaluable product is released. Sephora is always the first to get new releases. VERY happy with Sephora.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I am a loyal customer was Sephora and I am beyond annoyed. I placed an order and within seconds realize they have my old address on file. I called customer service to let them know what had happened. The lady I spoke with said she couldn't do anything and to try again in the morning so they could notify the warehouse. I called in the morning and they told me nothing could be done and they would put in a request to cancel. They aren't even sure if my order can be cancelled. They said I should know something within 24 hours. My order might be shipped to the wrong address and they said if it is returned they can give me a refund. This is crazy! I spent over $100 and now it may end up at the wrong address? What is sad is I have talked to 3 different customer service representatives and no one can help cancel my order. They just say they will try to cancel. I'm beyond disgusted with this company.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Nov 11: I went into a store to return items, got my receipt and away I go. Nov 23: called customer care because I still have not gotten the refund on my credit. He sees the transaction, told me to wait until Monday and if I don't get it, call and they'll manually refund me. Nov 27: I gave them an extra day. No refund. I called and the first time I was hung up on - She didn't know what she was doing. I called again and told I had to call the bank because her supervisor said it looked like the refund went through. I told her the bank told me I had to call Sephora. She then said I had to call the store and then abruptly routed me to them without asking me. The store manager said it happens sometimes where refunds don't go through and she had to escalate it with head office. Apparently there's a different number they call to trace the money. I asked her if it's happened before with her and she said yes. I'm waiting.

In the meantime, I contact Sephora via Twitter and they said they can't do anything about in-store transactions even after I supply proof i.e. partial bank statement and receipt. Sephora via email said the same thing. That brings me to 3 phone reps, 2 email reps and a Twitter rep who all can't or won't help me because they're adamant I got my refund or they just can't. I've spent a lot of money with them and been a customer for many years. This month alone I spent $300. They're too big to care about one person but I refuse to shop with them anymore. I "cashed" in my 1000 points for a reward today and I'm done.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Received my order on November 1. Return my partial item on November 2. Now is the end of month still don’t know where my refund. Call customer service. The lady told me can’t locate my return not even my return tracking number. I ask, "What do you mean by you don’t have any of my return information?" She hung up on me already. Next I went online to check my return tracking. I found it. It’s been received by Sephora. But till now I still don’t know where my refund. For all these years of VIB first time return my item by mail very disappointed. Now on I’ll purchased from other departments store if they carry the same item as Sephora does.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Still have not received my online order of products YET. YES, I was one of the online customer during the huge annual event that Sephora hosts - 20% off every products. The thing that makes it worse is that, I have been a VIB rouge and VIB for 4 years, after spent all that $$$. I chose to shop online this time as I did not want to squeeze in to a crowded store to get what I want. I placed 2 orders on November 16, promised FLASH 2 DAY SHIPPING. While 1 of the order arrived on time, it was the one I placed later during that day! The other one, promised to arrived on the November 19th, recalculating the whole days 19th & 20th, then they just took the ‘estimated delivery date’ ENTIRELY OFF the tracking, while the tracking has stopped at Indianapolis for 2 ENTIRE days without moving. It has been a full week! And I have no idea when I can receive the package, or can I receive it at all!

After 13 days of return, I still don't know if they received my return or not. I had another order received earlier in the month, I decided to return for it was not what I wanted, 100% unopen & unused. So I decided to use the prepaid label 'hassle-free' and 'easiest' way to return it. WRONG WRONG guys, after it was picked up by my local agent of USPS, the tracking info IS GONE FOR GOOD. And the only other tracking # on the smart shipping label Sephora uniquely has, is not valid for me to track at all on the USPS website. In another word, you will be blindly waiting for your refund and notice after you delivered it to USPS shipping office.

The Smart shipping label they have - provide no information on where it is shipping to, the shipping method (2 days/ ground), so you will have no idea at all on the status. Contacted the customer services, they said please allow 3 weeks to process, ehhhh, how about an update please? Like is the shipment lost or not or received? Next time, I will definitely pass on the online shopping experience at Sephora, it is too much for my nerves when I cannot get a hold on when to expect what.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I placed an online order on November 18th for Moroccan Oil and a Dr. Jart face mask. I was prompted to add 2 free samples and added a sample of perfume and glow oil. My order arrived on the 21st and included the mask and Moroccan oil that I paid for but neither of the samples were included. I called Sephora to let them know that I had received the products I had purchased but neither of the samples were included. The associate responded by saying “If the samples were not included, then the distribution center forgot to ship them or we ran out.”

I asked if they could send them out to me since they were forgotten and she said “We can’t send out free samples by themselves; they must be included with an order”. I told her I would not order any products online through them again since the products I ordered are not guaranteed. She said they are guaranteed. I responded by saying they are not guaranteed because if they were I would have received it. I told her I have lost trust in their company and refuse to order online from them again. I’m disappointed that I did not receive the samples but I am extremely frustrated with their poor customer service. When I had asked for a manager, the associate told me she would say the same thing.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

You buy into the whole Rouge status with this store - you spend 1K to keep that status and are promised 2 day free shipping guaranteed. I ordered on 11/16 expecting to get my order in 2 days as per my "status". 11/21 I am still waiting and when checking the status, it says that I will NOT RECEIVE IT UNTIL NOVEMBER 27. Terrible customer service. I call and they came up with an excuse about one item being a "ground only" shipping item. So no email explaining the delay. They just took my $400 for this order and screw you if you don't get it when you expect it. Terrible way to treat customers spending high end money. This is BS.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I bought a foundation I want because it was not in stock at my local store. This is no surprise since the local store never has products in stock and doesn’t stock my skin tone which is quite sad that a makeup store does this. Anyway I order online and it was before I go overseas but well within the standard Sephora shipping time and I have always had my order ship in time but they didn’t ship it days later so I realize I will not receive in time before I go overseas. When I call and ask why they haven’t shipped it they just give no explanation. They keep saying they have escalated the order and would be shipped with 24 hours but then tell me there is no response from the warehouse. So what does escalation actually do?

Since Sephora only attempts delivery once and needs signature, I will definitely not receive the order and they refuse to cancel it. Also stop using couriers please Sephora. They are horrible. I will never shop here again. I have already spent 100s at Sephora and would definitely be 1000s in the future because I love buying brand name makeup. I already have several Marc Jacobs products, a few Benefit, Kat Von D, Cover Fix, Zoeva, etc. All bought this year since I discovered Sephora. But Sephora is off the list now. I will shop directly at the brand or at Mecca or other department stores in my country. Never again Sephora. I gave you a chance to fix the situation but you refused. Now better companies will get my money.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Saddle Creek location in TN today @ 11 am. I was greeted by one of 8 ladies working & advised her that I was looking for a replacement for a CC cream. She said, "Have a seat & I will get someone to assist you." A few minutes later another lady came over and told me that someone would be over to assist me. At that time a lady walked in and another lady, pulled her to the side and said, "You need this much sales today, why are you not wearing makeup." The lady getting chewed out was a makeup consultant or something. The makeup consultant told her that she would put lipstick on, that's it.

Another customer walks in (a former employee) and EVERY woman in the store ignored customers including myself to stop and talk to her. Ask her if she was applying for seasonal help. Then the lady helping me told me about a product I may like after some chit chat. She was fake polite, but took her attention away from me to ask someone through the mirror if she made a sale off the previous customer. Then told me, "I apologize we are not disorganized like this." She then asked the makeup consultant if she would assist me. The makeup consultant came over, I told her what I was looking for and she told me to look online for the product because she does not have my skin tone. Then she ran back over to the former employee, sat her down and started a full makeover on her.

You know this area is known to be high class and customer service is expected with that. My visit was horrible, I did not get recommendation, or products that I needed. Five days later I am contacted by Aimee ** Talent Business Operations Manager, who works at the store. So, I waited for a month and a half for a response from the District Manager. I have been in contact with Sephora customer service via email, who are now refusing to have the district manager contact me after asking me to wait 7 business days. I have contacted today, and I am now being told rudely four times by customer service to call so my issue can be addressed.

Let me tell you this, the other locations I have been to in the last 5 states I have lived in, I have never had a problem with. The stores in the Memphis area have a reputation for snotty associates which I have found out for myself. This location is the lesser of the snotty stores from what I have been told. Now, I am two months out on horrible customer service, and now having to pull myself away from my life to make a complaint via Consumer Affairs because you cannot hire customer service or associates to do their job.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

So I order online because one of the times wasn’t in store. I ordered 2 items, 2 free samples and one sample using my points. I finally get the package and nothing that I ordered is in the box except a Morphe setting spray that I did not order. I don’t understand, is their people actually stealing from orders. I’ve never experienced something like this before. I’ve never been so upset, they’re trash and ** when it comes to their online service.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Why do you only get 3 free samples when you shop online, but NOTHING for in store purchases? The only reason I started shopping exclusively with Sephora over Ulta was literally because of the CHOICE of 3 free samples. However for at least the past year and a half, I rarely even get any samples at all, let alone the ones I “choose”. In addition to my Rouge status loyalty with Sephora (which is pointless but that’s a whole separate issue). I also pay for the Sephora Play Box. In it you are given a card of 50 points which can be redeemed in store only, along with the purchase of a full size product. So you reward only online purchases with samples, yet lure in Sephora Play box subscribers each month to redeem their points in store. Why?

Well I have a pretty good idea why - with the in store only redeemable point scam, Sephora gains not only an additional full size product purchase with each redemption, but also avoids having to give the 3 free samples for all said purchases. And what does the customer gain? NOTHING! Nothing but having to spend more money for points they’ve been “gifted” along with the play box subscription that they have ALREADY PAID FOR! Not acceptable! Ulta is looking better & better these days!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I want to make you all aware about the illegal return policy at Sephora. I went to return a blush that I bought on 09/10/18 a day after. I had paid cash and had my receipt. The manager said that they could not accept my return and that I had to call a certain number because they could not say why my return was declined. NOWHERE in the return policy states that you cannot return something in fact the receipt states that if you are not fully satisfied you have 60 days to return with original receipt. I then called this numbers they advise me to call and nobody was able to help me. Manager was not helpful and neither were the two numbers given. DON’T Waste your money or this might happen to you. I have spend much money to this money hungry company of Sephora and they don’t care about consumers apparently. I will make a complaint to Better Business Bureau about return practice as well as Sephora.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Absolutely clueless and incompetent follow up to a botched order delivery. Placed birthday order for wife and daughter. Product never showed up. No notice from Sephora. Contacted them, simple question; "What happened to my order?" Reply: "Your order refunded, we would be pleased to assist you with reorder." A dozen lame follow up emails from them re nothing. Still, why would I place another order when I never found out what happened to the first order. Wasted so much time with them and now here I am complaining about how terrible they are again. One word for them: BOYCOTT.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

The ingredients that they must use made me sweat from the heaviness on my pores. I even got a couple of pimples after using a product on my face from Sephora, and I never have pimples. I normally do use organic mineral type of products that aren’t harsh on my sensitive skin. But the mascara I bought at Sephora was probably the best I have ever used ~ Benefit BADgal BANG! The lip gloss I bought there is a very pretty shade on my skin tone too ~ Nude Alert. Although it dries out my lips and doesn’t last.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I ordered from Sephora on Thursday August 9th. I have Flash 2 days shipping, I checked my order status for the next few days which shows that my order has not shipped but I received an email from UPS notifying me that I have a shipment incoming from Sephora. I received the package on Monday August 12th which is fine since UPS does not deliver on Sundays. When I received the package, there was only the free mini samples and my mascara that I ordered but not my foundations. I was so upset. How can Sephora ship out a nearly empty box to a customer?

I then called Customer Service, the agent said that my order has not been shipped at the time, yet I'm literally telling him my shipment ID number that can only be found in the packing slip. Why would a customer lie about receiving a package? He then tells me to wait and to call back. I went back and forth with Sephora about 6 times trying to get my items. Fast forward to August 14th, I get a notification that my order has shipped from Sephora online, but when I go to click on the tracking link it takes me to the same package that was grossly missing items.

I then called Sephora Customer Service again raising all chaos. I paid with a Sephora Gift card that I received as a graduation gift from college. If I paid with a debit card I would have disputed the charge with my bank a long time ago. Sephora finally reordered my items free of charge for me through the phone to which I finally received it August 20th. What a darn shame, I had to wait a whole 11 days to get my complete order. I'm an avid online shopper that has never dealt with such abysmal customer service and empty packages. What is going on in the warehouses? Are the workers stealing the items? It makes no sense. Long story short, I will never purchase from Sephora ever again, not even in the flesh.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Sephora has everything you need and want. The employees are the best. If you need to try new makeup, they are there to help you. They also have a special birthday club in which you get goodies for your birthday.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Went to Sephora with my family. My sister needed to wipe foundation off her. Accidentally uses alcohol to clean up the makeup because there wasn’t labels. The lady comes up to her and say, “that’s alcohol.” rudely to my sister, to the point she felt like she had to hide it from worker when that’s what the makeup remover and alcohol is there for. Then goes to my cousin and says, “if you aren’t going to buy something I’m going to ask you to leave. You guys are goofing off, and I don’t want my store to be a mess.” After she says that, she continues to follows up, trying to eavesdrop into conversation.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Excellent! I shop often. Great free gifts, helpful staff, clean store with great chic ambiance. The store is chic high-end appearance avant garde. Love them, all ages shop at Sephora!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

It covers pores and imperfections perfectly. Easy to put on and blends well with blush. Very creamy and opaque but doesn't look like you have makeup on!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I think it's a good deal for what you're purchasing. The quality is not bad. But I wish it looked fresher longer after applied. The eyeliner seems to smear during the day. The mascara gets flaky when wearing it through the evening. The foundation I feel was the better of the items I tried. I really liked the foundation. It went on well.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I love their colors but they very overpriced and the quality is as good as it could should be for that price. The colors is what makes me keep on buying it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I enjoy using Sephora products because they are high quality but with drugstore prices. From brushes to nail polish, the products really are worth more than they cost.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Sephora has a great variety of brand name makeup as well as their own line which is significantly less expensive. It's a one-stop shop for skin care, makeup, tools and fragrance. The staff is usually helpful and knowledgeable but there are never enough ladies working.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

The eyeshadow is great color, long lasting quality and lip balm is great, last long time. The makeup remover works great. The makeup and eyeshadow and mascara comes off like right away 45*.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Sephora brand products are exceptional quality- why pay higher prices when you can get great products at fantastic prices. The selection is tremendous and they have hair, skin and makeup products.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I find Sephora a very good place for makeup, perfumes, etc. Very helpful people. Cashier lines quickly dealt with. Very satisfied. I have recommended Sephora to my friends, my co-workers and my family.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

If you can't find something at Sephora, it doesn't exist. Also, no matter what your budget there is a product line that fits. The staff is always knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

On 16 Aug 2018 I purchased some cosmetic and a Christian Dior Sauvage Eau de Parfum 2018 collection from Shepora store Phoenix Marketcity Kurla, Mumbai, India. I am not new, had came across Shepora store since years in Dubai. As one of my friend gave me amazing reviews of the perfume so I purchased it. I wore the perfume but the fragrance didn't last for 15mins. So I complained the shop about the genuinity of the product as I tried continuous for a week and the results was the same. So I again went to shop on 12th August 2018, initially the staff was not really interested to take my complaint. Then later some lady came in after 10 mins and tried to investigate me and ask how and how much quantity I use the perfume. She took me to the tester counter and asked we to wear and show. On my insisting and asking them the product which I got not seem to be Genuine, I was been told can't do much. And asked me to wait for 3 days.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I got a Sephora gift card given to me for my birthday it was purchased at Sephora inside a JCPenney. I went to my local mall to the Sephora store, found everything I wanted, got to the counter all for them to tell me I could not use the gift card there because it was a JCPenney Sephora card. Is JCPenney getting a kickback for selling your products? Well that's fine and dandy but I should be able to use the Sephora gift card at any Sephora store. I did go online to Sephora, enter all the stuff that I wanted, it was going to give me a free birthday gift and three free sample products because of the amount of stuff I ordered and because it was my birthday and because I've been what's the for so long collecting Beauty Insider points from spending so much money there and now I can't use the gift card.

Trying to use the Sephora gift card online through the JCPenney app it was going to let me use it there except for JCPenney tells me that I have free shipping due to the amount spent but then will not let the order go through without me paying shipping and handling and does not give me the option to ship to store. This policy needs to be changed and the Sephora gift cards need to be able to be used at any Sephora no matter if they're purchased at the store online, at a JCPenney or any other store that Sephora might be in.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Like many others, I have been a loyal customer. Back in Asia, there isn't much issue with delivery and returns, etc. However since I got to the States, I have been making around 6 online orders for the past 2 weeks (went a little crazy shopping). 2 of the orders shipped from Nail Road Olive Branch MS were disappointing. First time, the packer threw in 2 perfume samples for me when I have chosen 3 skincare samples. I am not a big perfume fan so that annoyed me. But decided to let it go.

However, second time today, I did not get the item I want with the promo code used, AND instead of receiving 3 of the samples I have chosen, the packer just threw in 1 perfume sample. What happened to my promo code item? And the reason why I made those orders was because there are some samples I really wanted to try before purchasing a bigger size. What is the point of letting us choose the samples we want if Sephora is just going to throw in whatever they want? Understand samples do run out, and if it is really the case which I don't think is my case, so why didn't Sephora just update their samples page?

Have read so many disappointing reviews on Sephora before I decided to write this today. And they are ALL same issues. Samples missing, Promo code item missing, lousy packing etc. Yes, I too received all items in boxes that are way too big with just a brown paper thrown in the box. Except for one order from Chelsea Rd Aberdeen MD, my item is bubble wrapped (thank you). Sephora you need to fix this issue before you start losing more customers. I don't think I will purchase anything online from Sephora again after I experienced excellent customer service from Beautylish this trip.

Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.

• Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.

• In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.

• In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.

• Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.

• Best for: Sephora is best for women seeking prestige makeup products. Also, women who want help learning the best ways to apply makeup.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs