1.40/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 16, 2018

157 Sephora Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 16, 2018

I purchased a product through Sephora's website and have the emailed receipt. After giving the product a few tries and not liking it I decided to return it to a Sephora store. I pulled up my emailed receipt and explained my situation to one of the employees. She asked me for an invoice number, both her and I looked through my e-mail receipt but it wasn't listed. She then proceeded to tell me that if I want to exchange or return the item I will need to provide her with my passport or driver's license so that they can have a third company run a "check" on me.

When I asked who the third party was, what information they will be collecting and the purpose I was told she had no clue. Further, I was told that once I provide my passport, etc. there isn't a guarantee that they will allow me to exchange the item. I asked what they do with customer passports and driver licenses after the "check" is completed, where is the information stored? She again had no answers. THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY ISSUE!!! All this to return a $30 item for which I had an email receipt from their website. It is very POOR customer service. I will never purchase from them again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Reading reviews it sounds like I am not the only one who has not been receiving my samples. They are confirmed in an email, but not on the paper receipt in the box. After the second time, like others, I called Sephora and they just offered me points and would note this on my account. I told them there appears to be an issue, perhaps the packers are pocketing them instead of putting them in the package. Or is Sephora having financial problems so really don’t have the samples? This needs to be brought to management’s attention. After many, many years as a loyal customer it looks like Macy’s is now a better place for ordering and getting the freebies.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 6, 2018

I've been going to Sephora for a couple years now but recently I've just been ordering from online thinking that would be of more convenience for me. Couldn't have been more wrong. Every time I have placed an order it takes an ungodly amount of time to get here, I'm talking like 2 weeks at least. Even when I have PAID FOR TWO DAY SHIPPING the items still didn't ship until 5 days later, Really? Whats the point of paying for 2-day shipping then? The last order I placed was the final straw for me though, before I placed the order it said it would arrive on March 15th, considering I placed it on the 1st of March thats kind of a long time but I placed the order anyways only to find out that it wouldn't be delivered until MARCH 18TH, 18 days after I placed the order? Wtf?

SO I call customer service to cancel said order. Girl says, "No prob. You'll get a confirmation email in a day or so." 4 days later I get an email saying my order has already been shipped (shipped 2 days after I canceled the order) and that they were unable to cancel my order... SERIOUSLY??? So annoying, so moral of the story if you like your items to be delivered in a timely matter and enjoy receiving good customer service then you DEFINITELY DON'T WANT TO ORDER FROM SEPHORA.

Original review: March 3, 2018

This is the company, Sephora, that we are supposed to trust with our expensive overly hyped makeup purchases. Yet, they constantly give people the runaround. Years ago, I went to the Burlington store and came home and didn't check the package to see if my lip gloss was used. It looked half gone and was so sad and shocked - I threw it out as the trip would be too far. 18.00 lip gloss. I didn't go in there or buy anything from them for 10 years. I decided to go back in after this time to a different store.

I went to a store in Boston and got makeup on my coat and it was so disorganized. I was told I would hear from the manager and tried to call back - but of course no one gave me a response. I went to the Cambridge store and was told straight out that something that would not look good on me wasn't in stock and then it was less than 24 hours later. You can't tell me they didn't have that in the back ready! Some places did already. The mail service is the worst. I got sent some old cleanser (verified the code) and some dried out lip gloss. This cleanser company HAS had old makeup on the shelves of Sephora before and no, they don't care, just push off the old product to customers. As long as they get their money too! Had to try to return it - told a credit would come right back to my bank account. Been 2 weeks now and have not seen!

PayPal says I can't prove I sent it back when I CLEARLY had all the info so I might lose about 80.00 because of this horrible, unprofessional store as a whole. PayPal is also part of the problem because I showed them that I sent back it and the overseas people who work at PayPal do not understand how the USPS tracking works. The local stores are bad - the online is just as bad. A Reddit account posting says they deliberately don't refund quickly in case you have remorse and have to pay your bills instead because their makeup is so pricey. I say who cares, the store should refund the money in a timely manner, I'm reading on here sometimes they lie and say they don't refund it at all! I think they should be going above and beyond for customers. Especially because the stuff is so expensive. Or in my case, old, smelly, and defective.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

They have shipping issues. One of my orders in mid-November took 3 weeks to get, was inaccurate and didn’t include the promo products I ordered. When I called and emailed, the customer service was horrible and offered no help. They don’t seem like they really care about the customer. Placed another order and is suppose to get 3-day shipping. It shipped out on Feb 24th and isn’t suppose to get here until March 2nd. Again when I called they offered no help and just said these things happen. I order products for a reason and usually need them by a specific date. Very unreliable and the worst customer service I’ve encountered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I've had THREE instances where I've returned items via mail order (they were well within the refund guidelines) and I've had to dispute them with my financial institutions. I'm almost 50, and I've never, ever, had to do this with any other retailer. The issue is they state they've issued the refund, though it's never reflected on my financial statement. I contact them, they hold firm to their story and say there's nothing they can do. After going to the BBB, AG and other consumer protection agencies (as well as my card issuers) the problem is always magically resolved. I don't know how they get away with this, it's illegal.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

My first order was cancelled because it was being shipped to my business, second order I received without the gift wrap and gift message that I paid extra for. Now I had to re-order it a 3rd time, my credit card got charged for a 3rd time without receiving the first 2 refunds yet because it takes up to 14 days. Now I'm waiting for the 3rd order to get here and hopefully everything is done right this time.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I placed an online order with Sephora on Feb. 8th and received notification that it would arrive by Valentine's Day. It is a gift and I assumed Sephora would notify me with any delays. Today is the 13th, and I received no notification of delay in shipment. However, when I called Sephora and spoke with a supervisor, she informed me that the merchandise failed to ship. I asked why and could not get a straight answer. Additionally, I was told that this is my fault for not calling earlier. I did send a customer service email to Sephora yesterday, but I am appalled and disappointed by the lack of follow through from Sephora.

I like their stores and product range, but this is just poor service. I asked that my package be expedited so that it arrives overnight shipping but was told that could not be done. When I asked to speak with a manager, I was told I would have to hang up, call again, hold for someone, etc. This is unacceptable and I wanted to share my experience. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Has anyone else noticed that in the last 2 weeks Sephora has started listing our 2-day flash shipping as being expected on the 3rd day? I'll give an example. AFTER processing, my package officially hit the mail early on the 8th. My tracking number lists my package as being expected on the 12th!!! I'll give you that the 11th is a Sunday but 8+2=10, not the 12th. I order 2x a week and this is the scenario for the last 3 packages. Like no one is going to notice! Nice try trying to slide that one in on us Sephora! I hope everyone watches their $'s as close as I do. And I'll still be complaining EVERY single time it arrives on the 3rd day. Because when I give my word, I uphold it. And I expect the very same from a business. (That means every time I don't get at least 3 samples like promised with EVERY order, well I'll be complaining about that too).

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I recently purchased a bottle of Kate Spade Walk On Air perfume. The spray top is defective - it does not spray but rather has a weak stream. I called Sephora customer service and after confirming my original order immediately offered a full refund or a replacement. Awesome customer service experience!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

On 01/25/2018 I shopped at Sephora located in Lakeside Mall in Metairie, Louisiana, as a loyal customer of a store I love was highly disappointed in the lack of customer service. I was in line to check out, there were two cashiers opened and the line was long and when it was my turn I put my items on the counter and had a question but my cashier Stacey told me that she could not check me out because she had checks to validate. No problem I was willing to wait, Stacey told me I would have to get back in line because it would take a while, she didn't even have time to answer a question.

I was so shocked and wanted to tell corporate, I called and they told me that someone would contact me, on 1/29/2018 Valarie emailed me and asked me to call her that she would be at the store all day until 4:00pm. So I did and was put on hold for 8 minutes only for Alice to pick up the phone and tell me that Valarie was not at the store! That Sephora is not what it used to be, I guess I will have to shop for Kat Von D on her official site. I couldn't find Stila in the store and I couldn't ask Stacey because she had checks to validate and couldn't even answer a simple question.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

I went to a Sephora in Northpark Mall in Dallas just to shop around since I love their products, however some experiences I’ve had there left me frustrated and humiliated. When I went to the Sephora in Dallas with my friend, we saw that they had free facials with a sign that said “free facials, walk ins welcome!) so we decided that it would be fun and asked a worker named Donna (we saw her name tag) if we could have one done. Little did we know how rude Donna was going to be; she physically pushed us aside to a different section of the store and said “These ladies getting the facials done have appointments. You do not. We do not have time for you to in our store today and anyways, you two girls wouldn’t like it.” Her (Donna’s) tone was rude and harsh and she physically pushed us away. We just replied “okay, sorry for the misunderstanding.”, thinking that was the end of the humiliation.

We decided to leave because of how rude she was and as we were walking out, we heard Donna talking about the “two annoying girls” who wanted facials. We heard her say to a coworker “they don’t know what they are doing” and that we “have no place here”. To top it off, as we left the store and said “bye thank you” to be courteous, she mimicked us in a childish tone. She finished her remarks with “maybe next time you can try buying something”. Maybe it was just Donna, but I have also had similar experiences here at the Northpark Sephora. The customer service is lacking and I am yet to be back. I could have been a lifetime customer but Donna killed that potential revenue stream.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Once again, my Sephora.com order did not contain the 3 free samples that they advertise on their website header, comes with every purchase. This isn't the first time this has happened. When I called and spoke to a representative, she gave me the same old spiel that I received before... "Oh, I can give you reward points for your inconvenience"... "and, I'll give you 100 pts instead of 75 pts that way you can get a full size product for the 100 pts and that's a better deal for you." To which I replied, "Excuse me but Sephora does not offer full size anything for 100 pts, and it's not called an inconvenience, it's called false advertising. If you say you are going to include 3 free samples and then have the customer spend time choosing those samples, you should honor that order."

She then told me that they are not obligated to send free samples at all to which I replied, "Well, why are you advertising it on the home page of the website. You entice customers to make a purchase in order to get 3 free samples and then say you don't have to send them?" I would like to note that I am a VIP customer and spend a lot of money on their products but after this conversation, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I ordered online and received my package today. It was missing several items. I called their customer service line. After the initial greetings I explained that products were missing. He asked for my order # which I then gave. He then proceeded to tell me the account was in another name, (my husband's). I explained that yes, there was an account with my husband's on it but that I had purchased these items under MY name and with MY credit card and had checked out as a guest. He then stated that Sephora only allowed one account per household. I would need to call the other person to get their approval to continue.

I told him I found it difficult to believe that Sephora would only allow one account per household. That it made no business sense and or just common sense either. He then started rambling on about how he wasn't trying to say my intelligence was sub par but that's how Sephora rules were. I explained again how I had purchased the items and used my card and checked out but he kept going back to the account with my husband's name on it. Well I became very annoyed and just hung up on him. I will wait and try to talk to someone who hopefully has better customer service skills. Also, after this order is corrected I will no longer be making any purchases from Sephora. I guess they do not value their customers and make you go through unusual hoops to correct their mistake(s). End of rant!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I placed a big order from Sephora to be shipped to me in UK and it didn't turn up and the delivery tracker stopped working and claimed the package was in Germany (it had no reason to be in Germany). Delivery company were useless but Sephora customer service replied immediately, sorted it within the hour and were generally helpful and friendly. Heard lots of horror stories about Sephora customer service so maybe they've listened and made some changes? Great customer service experience.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

Purchased 2 items on 11-13-17 as Christmas Gifts -- Tried to return both today WITH a receipt, unopened etc. The girl says, "Oh sorry, we have a 60 day return policy and you just missed it but I will give you a store credit." I said how can 60 days have passed when I purchased on the 13th and today is the 8th. Well, she says, some months have more than 30 days in them. So I took the gift card and went outside to check a calendar - 57 days!! I Went back in asking for a manager and she tells me that the register is set up this way and they have nothing to do with it. So you are telling me your register is set up to fraudulently calculate days in order to issue a store credit instead of cash or charge credit? Sounds like the Attorney General needs to review this fraudulent policy.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Horrible horrible customer service. I originally received a gift card from my sister for Christmas, however it was from the Sephora inside JCPenney. For starters you aren’t able to use this gift card online at Sephora.com or at the actual Sephora store, and half of the time the Sephora inside JCPenney store doesn’t carry half of the items you’re probably looking for. I was interested in purchasing an item, however the lady told me the Sephora inside JCPenney didn’t carry that item and that she could order I‎t for me online and have it shipped to my home. 5 days later I received the package, however I‎t was the wrong item.

Once I realized It was the wrong item I contacted customer service and they were extremely rude and nasty. They informed me that there is nothing they can do, but to turn in the product and I should receive a refund. They also informed me that although the order filler at Sephora packed the wrong order that there wasn’t anything they can do because the product is now out of stock. This was a huge disappointment considering the fact that I‎t was in stock at the time of purchase. The customer service team was very unhelpful and rude to say the least. I will no longer be shopping at Sephora and will stick to Ulta or department stores.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

I used to be a loyal Sephora customer until earlier this year. I was buying a palette online and while checking out it went out of stock. That's right, just as I finalized my order there was an error and it was out. So I called their number, was on hold forever, then finally talked to someone who I think either didn't understand or didn't care about my concern. I really, really wanted that product and the agent was like, "Sorry there's nothing we can do, so I'm giving you some points on your account." I'm like, "Really, your system has failed and I kinda get it you cant fix it but really, offer me points to make me go away??" Their rewards bazaar choices are horrible anyways so I'm like whatever.

I always shop in Ulta now, but because they don't carry Marc Jacobs I had to buy from Sephora again using my $20 off since I'm still a VIB this year. When my order arrived, all the samples were missing. I know that it's free but for your customer service to rub it in my face?? I emailed them what happened and I got something along the lines of "while it's nice to have freebies there's nothing we can do, now here's more points!" Are you serious?! They seem to be offering points to rectify everything and make irate customers go away. Now after reading most reviews, they seem to be not sending samples at all. Well how about please dont offer something you cant deliver.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

I am an avid Sephora shopper, so much that I am a Sephora Rouge customer. I shopped for an hour and a half on Wednesday of this week, got up to checkout, my total was $578, and my debit card was declined. I had plenty of money in the bank, so I didn’t understand why it was declined. (I later learned my bank thought it might be a fraudulent charge, seeing as it was a large amount during Christmas time.) I had them hold the products with my name and number, and they said they could only hold 48 hours. I told them I would be back to purchase for sure within the 48 hours. I live an hour away from the store.

I went back on Friday afternoon to purchase my products and they said, “we’re sorry but we thought you weren’t going to come back and we’ve already put the merchandise back on the shelves.” Are you kidding me??? It’s still within the 48 hours and no one even called me to find out whether I was coming back. I spend a lot of money at this store every month and all they could say is “sorry.” To make matters worse, several of the items I had on hold were gone from the shelves so I couldn’t purchase them for my daughter for Christmas. I did buy some items which I previously had on hold, but most were gone. I ended up buying $228.90 worth of products with nothing but “sorry.” I think their customer service and/or management is severely lacking. I believe they could have done something to make this awful experience better for me to ensure I would remain a loyal customer.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Sephora advertises 3 free gifts with purchase but 3 orders I have placed in the past two weeks came without samples. When I notified Sephora, they sent me a generic email saying pretty much oh well. I could have purchased from other places and got my free gifts with purchase. Sephora is illegally advertising and not fulfilling their claims. Look online for a class action suit soon, I might just start one.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

Last year I signed up for the $10 a year Sephora Beauty Insider they email you that includes a year of free shipping because I wanted to buy something one time from them that wasn't in store, I immediately went into the account and canceled the auto renew, never bought from them again. Well yesterday they charged me $10 for another year that I did not authorize since I had canceled it the same day I purchased last year so that I wouldn't forget. I do not shop at Sephora so they are telling me all they can do is give me $10 store credit but not credit my account which I have no use for since I won't shop at their store, so now I have to fight the charge with my bank. They have horrible customer service. I will never shop here or advice anyone I know to.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

I debated to order from Macy's or Sephora but chose Sephora because of the three gifts/samples I was promised. I was going to use them as stocking stuffers. I received my order with nothing other than the products I ordered. Very disappointed especially when the response from Sephora that they are out of all gifts yet I got an email today with the ad for Sephora with the promise of samples. Totally false advertising. So next time it will be Macy's.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I am a Sephora customer and received a $15.00 off $50.00 purchase. I tried several times to order my purchase online, but the items were out of stock. On 12/12/17, I went into the store, the day the coupon expired. I was hoping to buy gifts or makeup to take advantage of the discount. Well, some of the boxed items were missing items, the four different makeup items were out of stock, and some items were displayed, but was told they haven't received them in months. Sephora was in disarray and items were all over the place. I plan on filing a complaint with the CEO of Sephora. The one employee had me waiting in the chair for 40 minutes only to have an incompetent employee test my skin. She kept using the wrong colors and it's miserable to keep having to take off the makeup as she continued to put wrong colors on my face. So in overall, I could not use the coupon as there was nothing to purchase.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

You might as well not select the sample you want to try because you likely won't get what you asked for (hopefully if you get your samples it's actually something you can use otherwise it's garbage and a waste of product so you won't be buying the item which defeats the purpose of giving you something to try). When you call in you get response such as, "Well at least you got a sample, there's nothing we can do about what you got".

If the company is only going to give you whatever they might as well not let you select what items you prefer or correspond with you to make sure before they send out product that you will use it instead of wasting it. Honestly I'm more upset that Sephora isn't a company that is about its word, don't say or offer something that you're not going to actually do. Guess it's time to see what other beauty stores have to offer. However I did get the correct items I paid for so I'm happy about that, the package wasn't damaged and came earlier than estimated.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

Absolutely the worst shopping experience every single time! Order arrived damaged. Cannot get anyone on the phone. Spent my lunch hour on hold and never got to speak to anyone. Cannot get anyone via email as all responses are automated. They NEVER ever include the samples you order but now they're just not including them at all! Bait and switch! I'll never order from Sephora or shop in their stores again.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I am a loyal Sephora customer and spend a lot of money which has placed me in their top tier customers called Rouge. I used PayPal to order something and it did not work for me. I took a walk to the store and was refused a refund. They said PayPal orders need to be returned via online or telephone customer service - UNLESS I of course, wanted to exchange the products for something else, conveniently. So not only did I waste my time taking a trip to the store, they sent me back out of the store with the products still in hand. I received the label, sent back the product and a week later called to find out why the refund still had not been processed. The Sephora customer person on the phone told me they don't have it back yet - and regardless I would have to wait 30 days to get my PayPal money back.

I am infuriated first that they couldn't process this in person because I used PayPal, and finally because of the poor customer service. I think it is poor service to make someone leave a store with a product that they are trying to return - and ask them to use another measure to get their money back. Terrible - especially for someone who spends so much money in that store.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I've had several experiences with Sephora online where an offer for a certain sample or gift bag has turned out to be fake. The last couple of years, the free samples I've chosen (the ones everyone gets with any order) have either been totally missing or have been substituted with cheaper samples. They will list a certain sample as being available even though they know it isn't, because that sample is incentive to buy. Recently there has been a problem with the bigger special gifts offered as incentives to order, too.

For instance, they are currently advertising a "free sample bag with any order" of $35 and up, and list five different versions of the bag. I liked the bags so I ordered some makeup earlier than I usually would have, just to take advantage of the offer. Within 5 minutes of my order being placed, I was sent an email saying the sample bag was "canceled" because it was out of stock. Okay, well I'll get one of the bags still in stock, right? Nope. I was told over the phone that they won't substitute something else for the offer automatically, and after just a couple of minutes all orders will be "in progress" and it's "impossible" to make any change at that point.

Yet that sample bag is still on their front page being used to get people to order, thinking they'll get this offer with their purchase! Sephora KNOWS it is out of stock. It's bait & switch and I'm DONE with it. It didn't used to be this bad; until about two years ago you could count on getting all your samples or a nice substitution if it ran out. Now Sephora refuses to honor their offers, and I suspect they never had any intention of doing so.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I actually will not buy online again. Probably not even in the store. I buy many products and this last shipping experience showed me Sephora is not customer service based. Purchased on 11/15 and received 11/30. No real reason for delay. And NO apology or offset. You still shipped it “slow boat” even after the fact. Unreal. Thumbs down. These guys aren’t even American based. No wonder their customer service number is hard to find and then reach them. So done.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Was told by the young girl behind the counter at Sephora Charlestown that I could return my item. She said, "As long it hasn't been used and is still in the box that's ok". When I later returned my purchase (after buying a different one elsewhere) the girl then said that I could only have a store credit. I explained that I was in the store only an hour ago and that when I asked, she had told me that the item could be returned. The girl then looked me in the eyes and said that she never said that- inferring that she never told me I could return it and I was lying. I asked the manager to have a look at the security footage as I knew that I had checked with them about their return policy before making my purchase.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

I received the package with several items, all the boxes were a bit squashed but the L'Occitane creams that were for a gift were out of place and fully squashed, like used. Of course I couldn't use it for a gift anymore!! I contacted them immediately and did not get an answer after 2 days. I contacted again and nothing! No chat available and I could not talk at the phone, after 4 days I sent another email and now is 5 days waiting with no response. I cannot always go back to the store or spend lots of time on the phone. They do not have Chat or email respond!! They are expensive and super bad customer service!! Never again.

Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.

• Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.

• In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.

• In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.

• Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.

• Best for: Sephora is best for women seeking prestige makeup products. Also, women who want help learning the best ways to apply makeup.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs