2.13/5

182 Sephora Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Why do you only get 3 free samples when you shop online, but NOTHING for in store purchases? The only reason I started shopping exclusively with Sephora over Ulta was literally because of the CHOICE of 3 free samples. However for at least the past year and a half, I rarely even get any samples at all, let alone the ones I “choose”. In addition to my Rouge status loyalty with Sephora (which is pointless but that’s a whole separate issue). I also pay for the Sephora Play Box. In it you are given a card of 50 points which can be redeemed in store only, along with the purchase of a full size product. So you reward only online purchases with samples, yet lure in Sephora Play box subscribers each month to redeem their points in store. Why?

Well I have a pretty good idea why - with the in store only redeemable point scam, Sephora gains not only an additional full size product purchase with each redemption, but also avoids having to give the 3 free samples for all said purchases. And what does the customer gain? NOTHING! Nothing but having to spend more money for points they’ve been “gifted” along with the play box subscription that they have ALREADY PAID FOR! Not acceptable! Ulta is looking better & better these days!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I want to make you all aware about the illegal return policy at Sephora. I went to return a blush that I bought on 09/10/18 a day after. I had paid cash and had my receipt. The manager said that they could not accept my return and that I had to call a certain number because they could not say why my return was declined. NOWHERE in the return policy states that you cannot return something in fact the receipt states that if you are not fully satisfied you have 60 days to return with original receipt. I then called this numbers they advise me to call and nobody was able to help me. Manager was not helpful and neither were the two numbers given. DON’T Waste your money or this might happen to you. I have spend much money to this money hungry company of Sephora and they don’t care about consumers apparently. I will make a complaint to Better Business Bureau about return practice as well as Sephora.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Absolutely clueless and incompetent follow up to a botched order delivery. Placed birthday order for wife and daughter. Product never showed up. No notice from Sephora. Contacted them, simple question; "What happened to my order?" Reply: "Your order refunded, we would be pleased to assist you with reorder." A dozen lame follow up emails from them re nothing. Still, why would I place another order when I never found out what happened to the first order. Wasted so much time with them and now here I am complaining about how terrible they are again. One word for them: BOYCOTT.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

The ingredients that they must use made me sweat from the heaviness on my pores. I even got a couple of pimples after using a product on my face from Sephora, and I never have pimples. I normally do use organic mineral type of products that aren’t harsh on my sensitive skin. But the mascara I bought at Sephora was probably the best I have ever used ~ Benefit BADgal BANG! The lip gloss I bought there is a very pretty shade on my skin tone too ~ Nude Alert. Although it dries out my lips and doesn’t last.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I ordered from Sephora on Thursday August 9th. I have Flash 2 days shipping, I checked my order status for the next few days which shows that my order has not shipped but I received an email from UPS notifying me that I have a shipment incoming from Sephora. I received the package on Monday August 12th which is fine since UPS does not deliver on Sundays. When I received the package, there was only the free mini samples and my mascara that I ordered but not my foundations. I was so upset. How can Sephora ship out a nearly empty box to a customer?

I then called Customer Service, the agent said that my order has not been shipped at the time, yet I'm literally telling him my shipment ID number that can only be found in the packing slip. Why would a customer lie about receiving a package? He then tells me to wait and to call back. I went back and forth with Sephora about 6 times trying to get my items. Fast forward to August 14th, I get a notification that my order has shipped from Sephora online, but when I go to click on the tracking link it takes me to the same package that was grossly missing items.

I then called Sephora Customer Service again raising all chaos. I paid with a Sephora Gift card that I received as a graduation gift from college. If I paid with a debit card I would have disputed the charge with my bank a long time ago. Sephora finally reordered my items free of charge for me through the phone to which I finally received it August 20th. What a darn shame, I had to wait a whole 11 days to get my complete order. I'm an avid online shopper that has never dealt with such abysmal customer service and empty packages. What is going on in the warehouses? Are the workers stealing the items? It makes no sense. Long story short, I will never purchase from Sephora ever again, not even in the flesh.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Sephora has everything you need and want. The employees are the best. If you need to try new makeup, they are there to help you. They also have a special birthday club in which you get goodies for your birthday.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Went to Sephora with my family. My sister needed to wipe foundation off her. Accidentally uses alcohol to clean up the makeup because there wasn’t labels. The lady comes up to her and say, “that’s alcohol.” rudely to my sister, to the point she felt like she had to hide it from worker when that’s what the makeup remover and alcohol is there for. Then goes to my cousin and says, “if you aren’t going to buy something I’m going to ask you to leave. You guys are goofing off, and I don’t want my store to be a mess.” After she says that, she continues to follows up, trying to eavesdrop into conversation.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Excellent! I shop often. Great free gifts, helpful staff, clean store with great chic ambiance. The store is chic high-end appearance avant garde. Love them, all ages shop at Sephora!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

It covers pores and imperfections perfectly. Easy to put on and blends well with blush. Very creamy and opaque but doesn't look like you have makeup on!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I think it's a good deal for what you're purchasing. The quality is not bad. But I wish it looked fresher longer after applied. The eyeliner seems to smear during the day. The mascara gets flaky when wearing it through the evening. The foundation I feel was the better of the items I tried. I really liked the foundation. It went on well.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I love their colors but they very overpriced and the quality is as good as it could should be for that price. The colors is what makes me keep on buying it.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I enjoy using Sephora products because they are high quality but with drugstore prices. From brushes to nail polish, the products really are worth more than they cost.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Sephora has a great variety of brand name makeup as well as their own line which is significantly less expensive. It's a one-stop shop for skin care, makeup, tools and fragrance. The staff is usually helpful and knowledgeable but there are never enough ladies working.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

The eyeshadow is great color, long lasting quality and lip balm is great, last long time. The makeup remover works great. The makeup and eyeshadow and mascara comes off like right away 45*.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

Sephora brand products are exceptional quality- why pay higher prices when you can get great products at fantastic prices. The selection is tremendous and they have hair, skin and makeup products.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I find Sephora a very good place for makeup, perfumes, etc. Very helpful people. Cashier lines quickly dealt with. Very satisfied. I have recommended Sephora to my friends, my co-workers and my family.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

If you can't find something at Sephora, it doesn't exist. Also, no matter what your budget there is a product line that fits. The staff is always knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

On 16 Aug 2018 I purchased some cosmetic and a Christian Dior Sauvage Eau de Parfum 2018 collection from Shepora store Phoenix Marketcity Kurla, Mumbai, India. I am not new, had came across Shepora store since years in Dubai. As one of my friend gave me amazing reviews of the perfume so I purchased it. I wore the perfume but the fragrance didn't last for 15mins. So I complained the shop about the genuinity of the product as I tried continuous for a week and the results was the same. So I again went to shop on 12th August 2018, initially the staff was not really interested to take my complaint. Then later some lady came in after 10 mins and tried to investigate me and ask how and how much quantity I use the perfume. She took me to the tester counter and asked we to wear and show. On my insisting and asking them the product which I got not seem to be Genuine, I was been told can't do much. And asked me to wait for 3 days.

Original review: July 28, 2018

I got a Sephora gift card given to me for my birthday it was purchased at Sephora inside a JCPenney. I went to my local mall to the Sephora store, found everything I wanted, got to the counter all for them to tell me I could not use the gift card there because it was a JCPenney Sephora card. Is JCPenney getting a kickback for selling your products? Well that's fine and dandy but I should be able to use the Sephora gift card at any Sephora store. I did go online to Sephora, enter all the stuff that I wanted, it was going to give me a free birthday gift and three free sample products because of the amount of stuff I ordered and because it was my birthday and because I've been what's the for so long collecting Beauty Insider points from spending so much money there and now I can't use the gift card.

Trying to use the Sephora gift card online through the JCPenney app it was going to let me use it there except for JCPenney tells me that I have free shipping due to the amount spent but then will not let the order go through without me paying shipping and handling and does not give me the option to ship to store. This policy needs to be changed and the Sephora gift cards need to be able to be used at any Sephora no matter if they're purchased at the store online, at a JCPenney or any other store that Sephora might be in.

Original review: July 25, 2018

Like many others, I have been a loyal customer. Back in Asia, there isn't much issue with delivery and returns, etc. However since I got to the States, I have been making around 6 online orders for the past 2 weeks (went a little crazy shopping). 2 of the orders shipped from Nail Road Olive Branch MS were disappointing. First time, the packer threw in 2 perfume samples for me when I have chosen 3 skincare samples. I am not a big perfume fan so that annoyed me. But decided to let it go.

However, second time today, I did not get the item I want with the promo code used, AND instead of receiving 3 of the samples I have chosen, the packer just threw in 1 perfume sample. What happened to my promo code item? And the reason why I made those orders was because there are some samples I really wanted to try before purchasing a bigger size. What is the point of letting us choose the samples we want if Sephora is just going to throw in whatever they want? Understand samples do run out, and if it is really the case which I don't think is my case, so why didn't Sephora just update their samples page?

Have read so many disappointing reviews on Sephora before I decided to write this today. And they are ALL same issues. Samples missing, Promo code item missing, lousy packing etc. Yes, I too received all items in boxes that are way too big with just a brown paper thrown in the box. Except for one order from Chelsea Rd Aberdeen MD, my item is bubble wrapped (thank you). Sephora you need to fix this issue before you start losing more customers. I don't think I will purchase anything online from Sephora again after I experienced excellent customer service from Beautylish this trip.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I have been a loyal Sephora customer for several years. I had purchased a few products 2 weeks ago and tried to return them to the store with the original receipt. I was denied a refund and also denied a store credit. I was informed they use a third party for their transactions and the system rejected my return. The Sephora return policy states, "all returns will gladly be accepted within 60 days with receipt". There is no mention of a third party or refusal for returns. I called customer service and was told I needed to contact this third party directly. I will never shop Sephora again! They do not honor their customers.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I don't know what is going on but Sephora's shipping has gone downhill by a lot. I've been a loyal customer for 10 years and I never had this issue until this last year. It says 3 day or 2 day shipping, depending on how much I paid for, and then don't get here until a week later, if that! I understand a day, maybe even two (depending on my mood), but a whole week is ridiculous! Also, they don't even tell you that it's going to be delayed - you have to find out yourself if you track the package.

Another time I had placed an order (within the last 5 months), they shipped it to the wrong address. An address I lived at 3 years ago and was nowhere to be seen on my Sephora profile. How this happened, I have no idea and customer services also had no idea how this happened. Customer service have always been 'nice' for the most part, but they are very ineffectual. They offer to give points and that's all they really do. When I told them how incredibly disappointed I was in the downhill service with shipping, he told me that 'UPS is an amazing service'. I have a hard time believing that it's only UPS making all of these errors and think that Sephora has some culpability here.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I sent my return to Sephora using their preprinted USPS return label. I have confirmation that it was picked up by the post office on May 23, 2018. After waiting the allotted 2 weeks for my return to process I called inquiring about my refund. The customer service rep I spoke to at this time was very pleasant, but informed me that the return had not been received and I should continue to check via the Sephora website. I did. Week 3 and still no further information on my return. Today, June 13, I emailed customer service and was told a return has not been created for my order. I let them know I have confirmation that my return was picked up, the date and time the USPS carrier took possession. Their reply was that my return could take 3-4 weeks to process. This place can take their rouge and shove it, I'm done.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Today is my Birthday. I get 3 emails from Sephora, Happy Birthday e-cards and to choose my free gift. It's between lip liner and Glow facial cream. I own Glow so I pick Glow. Get to checkout and I'm told I need to purchase something in order to get my Birthday gift. I purchase a facial cleaner for 4$. Go back to checkout, told I need to pay 6$ for shipping. Let me try to understand this, I have to pay 10$ to receive my Birthday sample??? **! Bye Bye 10$ monthly beauty box! DONE!

Original review: May 7, 2018

I made a purchase back in February, and disliked the products, so I mailed them back within two weeks (maybe at the week-and-a-half mark). I waited over a month and a half with no refund before I called Sephora customer service about the issue. They did not mention a reason, but said the refund would be processed “on April twenty-something” (I don’t recall the actual date). Two weeks passed, so I contacted my bank to see if the amount had been processed and maybe it just wasn’t showing up for me - nope. Also, in between the almost two months that I waited to call Sephora about the refund, I received a new bank card in the mail (I had not ordered a new one), so I asked the bank if that would hinder the refund - they said no, that it was linked to my bank account number, which hasn’t changed, so money could still be returned.

Another week went by, no refund. Just called today, and the associate put me on hold a couple times, then came back and said the refund had been processed. “I should see the refund within 5 days.” I’m not sure what the issue was; if my return had been delayed via mail, if the return department was backlogged/busy, if my return just sort of slipped through the cracks - since no one in Sephora support mentioned anything, I can only assume that it was just incompetence in this instance, but in all my years of online shopping and the occasional mail-in return, I have never had anything like this happen. It seemed like my refund was only processed because I called about it TWICE.

The first support associate didn’t mention if the return had been received late, if they hadn’t received it yet, or if it had just been received recently and the refund hadn’t yet been processed; she just said that it would be processed the following week or so. Anyway, very disappointed in the way this return/refund was handled.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I purchased a product through Sephora's website and have the emailed receipt. After giving the product a few tries and not liking it I decided to return it to a Sephora store. I pulled up my emailed receipt and explained my situation to one of the employees. She asked me for an invoice number, both her and I looked through my e-mail receipt but it wasn't listed. She then proceeded to tell me that if I want to exchange or return the item I will need to provide her with my passport or driver's license so that they can have a third company run a "check" on me.

When I asked who the third party was, what information they will be collecting and the purpose I was told she had no clue. Further, I was told that once I provide my passport, etc. there isn't a guarantee that they will allow me to exchange the item. I asked what they do with customer passports and driver licenses after the "check" is completed, where is the information stored? She again had no answers. THIS IS A HUGE SECURITY ISSUE!!! All this to return a $30 item for which I had an email receipt from their website. It is very POOR customer service. I will never purchase from them again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Reading reviews it sounds like I am not the only one who has not been receiving my samples. They are confirmed in an email, but not on the paper receipt in the box. After the second time, like others, I called Sephora and they just offered me points and would note this on my account. I told them there appears to be an issue, perhaps the packers are pocketing them instead of putting them in the package. Or is Sephora having financial problems so really don’t have the samples? This needs to be brought to management’s attention. After many, many years as a loyal customer it looks like Macy’s is now a better place for ordering and getting the freebies.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I've been going to Sephora for a couple years now but recently I've just been ordering from online thinking that would be of more convenience for me. Couldn't have been more wrong. Every time I have placed an order it takes an ungodly amount of time to get here, I'm talking like 2 weeks at least. Even when I have PAID FOR TWO DAY SHIPPING the items still didn't ship until 5 days later, Really? Whats the point of paying for 2-day shipping then? The last order I placed was the final straw for me though, before I placed the order it said it would arrive on March 15th, considering I placed it on the 1st of March thats kind of a long time but I placed the order anyways only to find out that it wouldn't be delivered until MARCH 18TH, 18 days after I placed the order? Wtf?

SO I call customer service to cancel said order. Girl says, "No prob. You'll get a confirmation email in a day or so." 4 days later I get an email saying my order has already been shipped (shipped 2 days after I canceled the order) and that they were unable to cancel my order... SERIOUSLY??? So annoying, so moral of the story if you like your items to be delivered in a timely matter and enjoy receiving good customer service then you DEFINITELY DON'T WANT TO ORDER FROM SEPHORA.

Original review: March 3, 2018

This is the company, Sephora, that we are supposed to trust with our expensive overly hyped makeup purchases. Yet, they constantly give people the runaround. Years ago, I went to the Burlington store and came home and didn't check the package to see if my lip gloss was used. It looked half gone and was so sad and shocked - I threw it out as the trip would be too far. 18.00 lip gloss. I didn't go in there or buy anything from them for 10 years. I decided to go back in after this time to a different store.

I went to a store in Boston and got makeup on my coat and it was so disorganized. I was told I would hear from the manager and tried to call back - but of course no one gave me a response. I went to the Cambridge store and was told straight out that something that would not look good on me wasn't in stock and then it was less than 24 hours later. You can't tell me they didn't have that in the back ready! Some places did already. The mail service is the worst. I got sent some old cleanser (verified the code) and some dried out lip gloss. This cleanser company HAS had old makeup on the shelves of Sephora before and no, they don't care, just push off the old product to customers. As long as they get their money too! Had to try to return it - told a credit would come right back to my bank account. Been 2 weeks now and have not seen!

PayPal says I can't prove I sent it back when I CLEARLY had all the info so I might lose about 80.00 because of this horrible, unprofessional store as a whole. PayPal is also part of the problem because I showed them that I sent back it and the overseas people who work at PayPal do not understand how the USPS tracking works. The local stores are bad - the online is just as bad. A Reddit account posting says they deliberately don't refund quickly in case you have remorse and have to pay your bills instead because their makeup is so pricey. I say who cares, the store should refund the money in a timely manner, I'm reading on here sometimes they lie and say they don't refund it at all! I think they should be going above and beyond for customers. Especially because the stuff is so expensive. Or in my case, old, smelly, and defective.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

They have shipping issues. One of my orders in mid-November took 3 weeks to get, was inaccurate and didn’t include the promo products I ordered. When I called and emailed, the customer service was horrible and offered no help. They don’t seem like they really care about the customer. Placed another order and is suppose to get 3-day shipping. It shipped out on Feb 24th and isn’t suppose to get here until March 2nd. Again when I called they offered no help and just said these things happen. I order products for a reason and usually need them by a specific date. Very unreliable and the worst customer service I’ve encountered.

Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.

• Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.

• In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.

• In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.

• Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.

• Best for: Sephora is best for women seeking prestige makeup products. Also, women who want help learning the best ways to apply makeup.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs