1.41/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Sephora

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

122 Sephora Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I am a frequent shopper at Sephora and am a Rouge member, and I am usually not a picky customer AT ALL. Some of their business practices are a little annoying (the 2 day shipping is usually more like 7 days, never sending the correct samples that you select, etc.), but I usually didn't pay too much attention because it was never that big of deal to me. However, recently had such a terrible string of experiences with their customer service that I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Recently, I have been having issues where orders I place are pending for days, and then eventually result in an "Unsuccessful Authorization." I have tried with multiple cards, entering my address in different ways, etc., but was still having the same problem. They never responded to the message I sent through their online contact form, and the 4-5 people I've talked to on the phone in the last 2-3 weeks have all given me conflicting information and have routinely told me things that were clearly just lies. For example, one representative told me that they had no way to know why the order was not going through, but another told me that it was definitely because my apartment number was listed on a different line on my billing address (even though I have placed orders like that in the past and it was fine).

One representative told me it was because I tried to ship one of the orders to my mom, and another told me where I am shipping it wouldn't matter at all. Two of the representatives said that they would place a note in my account to make sure my orders would not keep getting cancelled in the future, since there is no apparent problem with my card, address, or account - however, the last person I talked to said there were no such notes. I had one representative manually place an order for me over the phone, and they said that there would be no issues, and sure enough... This order did not go through either.

The one time I have recently been able to get an order to process, it was a disaster. I had an order that was pending for over a week, and I was assured that it was "absolutely" not going to process and that I needed to re-place the order. I re-placed the order, and sure enough, both orders shipped. When I called to notify them to cancel the one (which they did) I was still charged twice. Then for some reason they only issued a partial refund! I was still charged over $100 dollars for items I never received.

My most recent experience was the most frustrating though. The most recent person I talked to very rudely mansplained to me for over 30 minutes about how I can't place orders with other people's cards or ship to other addresses (even though other representatives have told me those things shouldn't matter, and I have placed other orders like that just fine in the past). This doesn't even make sense because the first time I had this ordering issue it was with my own card and shipping to my own address. Even after spending almost 45 minutes on the phone total, they still couldn't tell me why I am unable to place orders on my account.

Their advice was to call and verify my orders with their customer service every time I place an online order from now on - even though I have already tried that and this has not been successful. Even if that did work, who has time for that?! No matter how many times I asked, they would not transfer me to a manager. I wish I could take back the hours of my life back that have been spent on the phone and checking orders for products that I can just buy at other places. Clearly Sephora does not respect my time or money.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

Ordered online, tried to cancel immediately to update and add a product. Called customer service, they said the order will be canceled and I can reorder. That never happened, they charged and send the order out. Had me on hold forever, couldn't understand my very simple name Diana, asked 5 different times. Not a great experience at all. Makes me question Sephora altogether.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I went to Sephora on 808 Columbus Ave in NYC to get my makeup today and I knew I would find another unpleasant experience again. And I did. Those ladies never have my N80 color tester out and so I opened a bottle and tried it on and a worker said, "Can I help you." And I said, "Not now I'm helping myself." You should have asked me 15 min ago can I help you when I walked in. But since you never hear CAN I HELP YOU the customer is left with no other choice but to help themselves.

So she left and came back and said, "You can't open a Bottle of makeup to use as a sample." And I told THE MANAGER if they kept the testers ready then no one would need to open a bottle. I don't know if this color still works. I need to test it. And we went back and forth arguing about it until she finally decided the customer was right and looked in the drawer and found a bottle, opened it and used as a tester!!! This happens every single time I go in there. After all that I saw they had the right sample in the wrong labeled slot.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

My local Sephora in the Clarendon Commons in Arlington Va. has the got to do better with customer service. This was the third time I have been in the store and walked out because sale personnel were standing in a circle talking. I asked for help with Fenty Beauty foundation. Someone comes over, picks up a foundation that too dark and when I told her it was too dark she said, "Well Fenty makeup isn't for everyone," and walked away. She didn't offer to help find something else are anything. Are employees not trained in customer service anymore? Very disappointed in this store. I have given it several tries just in case it was a one time thing. It wasn't. I will not spend more there anymore.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I placed the order and two days after they just canceled it! I even didn't get any email notification from them! Just logged in my account to check shipping status and I saw that Sephora canceled my order! Will never never never visit your website or store again! Such an awful customer service!?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sephora?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I placed a order because I need to buy some gifts and I signed up for 2 days shipping, today they just cancel the order without any call or communication. I called and they told me 2 years ago I placed a order and by mistake they double charge and I asked my bank to deal with since I was traveling. Because of this they ask to pay extra $19 to build a new account and then they will refund!!! What's is this!!! Unprofessional. No buy on-line anymore.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

I have been buying from the retail store in my local mall for years. Never had a problem with the makeup or the customer reps that work there. They were always helpful and very nice. I recommend that if you have issues with online Sephora to use the retail store instead. Also you can return items usually to the stores which is easier.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

Placed an order online while visiting my mom in NY. Had to return to France, but as my mom is visiting me in 3 weeks she said she would bring the package. Kept asking my mother did you receive the package yet? She kept saying no. This went on for two weeks. I thought nothing of it as Sephora is a reputable brand and figured they're just late. Finally checked the status of my package on 8/17/17 to find out that the package was left outside my mother's front door. Who in their right minds would leave a package, let alone, a Sephora package in front of the door of an apartment building in NYC? I tried contacting customer service by phone but as I'm overseas it's not possible. So I contact Sephora by chat. Explain the situation to the representative and she had no clue, no explanation, nothing.

Finally she offers to reship, but at this point I'm hesitant because if it happened once, it could happen again. I ask her if she can ship overseas? No. Can she provide signature delivery confirmation? No. Can she leave a note with the delivery co. and tell them to A) please leave package in the mailbox, because you know, we have one. B) Ask the delivery person to come into the apartment building, knock on the door and deliver it into the hands of my mother. Or just send it straight to the post office. All no.

Because I live in France (yes there is a Sephora here) and they do not carry the same name brands, I gave in and said okay, just reship the package. At the last minute she then tells me that one of the items I ordered was no longer in stock. So after suggesting to me for over 20 minutes to get a re-delivery of the same package I now find out one item is missing. The whole process was just one big headache. I asked for a refund and asked for an email confirming the approval for the return and still nothing! All I can say is NEVER AGAIN! Sephora, work out your delivery service because for the amount of money I'm spending, this type of thing shouldn't be happening.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I have been trying for 2 months to order online and I can't even login let alone start a basket. I always used online ordering because I am disabled and it is very difficult to get into and out of the mall.

Original review: July 28, 2017

I make orders online and then when I receive them, I get something completely different. Would recommend actually going into a store rather than risking them messing up. This happens every time I order online.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I visited the Sephora store inside Lakeline Mall and encountered a rude worker named Maria. I went in there and asked if I could have a sample and she looked confused looking at my phone. I stated that other workers did not have issues and she rudely replied, "I'm not having issues or trouble but I can't just give you a sample!" I was appalled by the reaction and response I received from this worker. There was no need for her hostile tone of response. If this worker represents the face of Sephora I will take my business elsewhere. A sample request from a customer should not be this difficult.

Original review: July 21, 2017

Purchased over $100 worth of items for my daughter's birthday. Paid for Express Post so it would arrive on time. 8 days later it has still not arrived so have to message Sephora on Facebook as they don't seem to ever answer their phones. Advised to ring Australia Post with the tracking number. Ring Australia Post and advised that the item hasn't even left Sephora yet. So my daughter won't be getting her birthday present on time. Absolutely disgusted with the service and the experience and will never shop here again. Have asked for a full refund but don't like my chances.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I am VERY UNHAPPY with the results from my experience waxing at the Benefit Eyebrow Bar in the Sephora located in JCPenney of Aventura Mall. I had never gotten my eyebrows waxed before (I've always done threading). I was happy to see that there was a new waxing option at Sephora. I am very pissed with the results. The sweet yet deceiving attending named Cinthyia, ruined by eyebrows. Not only is it abusive to charge more than $25 for these kinds of services especially when they are not performed to the customer's liking. I no longer have the eyebrows I use to like, I look like a short eyebrowed (with no form of arch) teenager.

Because of this experience Sephora has lost my business. And like me, Sephora had never seen such incoming business. Don't BOTHER trying out ANY benefit eyebrow waxing! It's not worth the horrid pain and displeasure of eyebrow appearance. I am soon leaving on vacation and because of Cinthyia, I am not fully content with my appearance, and for all you ladies hopefully reading this, we all know how we feel about our brows. No one can mess with them, unless you know what the hell you are doing. I am extremely displeased at Sephora mainly because the service is revealed as a life changing experience for women looking for a nicer look. Boy, did I get swindled. Like aforementioned, when you see the benefit brow bar ANYWHERE, keep walking. Get them waxed or attempt to try threading! That's really worth the strong pain, but as we women know. Beauty hurts!

Original review: June 8, 2017

I am so tired of every time I want something from Sephora, my local Sephora doesn't carry it so I'm forced to go online and buy it. That shouldn't be a problem since I am a "Rouge" member and I have Flash 2-day shipping, right? WRONG!!! Every time I order online my order takes a solid week, in fact I have an order I placed last Saturday that is still pending today, Thursday! It hasn't even shipped... Flash shipping my arse! They continuously screw up my orders, send me the wrong things, etc. Then of course it takes another 1-2 weeks to get me the right order, and on one occasion they shipped me the same wrong order THREE times. Customer service is awful because they do nothing to expedite the situation or really make me feel like they care that they are ripping people off for their flash shipping plan. I just want my stuff in a timely manner. Trust me if I could buy it elsewhere, I would!

Original review: June 5, 2017

BEWARE OF SEPHORA ONLINE!!! 2 weeks ago, I ordered some Marc Jacobs Foundation. Then last week I saw my American Express had charges for over 200.00 for four 53.00 lipsticks by Tom Ford. I would never spend 53.00 on a lipstick. Let alone a Ruby Rush dark red. I looked at the order and the first lipstick was a pink color and it had my address as the "Ship To" address. The 3 following ones had a "Ship To" Trong **. I am suspecting someone within the company doing this because when I searched I've seen others with the exact same products don't the same way. Whoever it is, is familiar with their order and shipping system. The way they did it, sent the first product to me in a different color and then the 3 others to them in another color. I am learning that Sephora doesn't like refunding for purchases and doesn't investigate if this happens.

I called last week and they said they were all canceled and the funds would be put back. I asked to speak with the Fraud dept and I was told I couldn't. They said that the situation would be investigated. I asked her "What if this guy has your card and does this to you?"... Silence.. She finally said she didn't know if they would do anything about it. I've got 200.00 in bills waiting to get paid. Thank God my husband didn't mail them.

It's been almost a week and nothing's been done. We just called. We got the same runaround. They said they could cancel the one that already shipped out, but not the other three because there was no tracking number. SERIOUSLY?!?!? They don't cancel before they get shipped? I've never heard of such a thing. The agent kept trying to drop it and leave it at that. Luckily my husband was home and had a deeper voice than I. He deals with Verizon customers every day and knew exactly how and what to say. We still only ended up with one of them being canceled and 150.00 still up in the air. They said to give it a week to 10 until they are shipped. I'm wondering if they will require me to return them. Short of going to that address and banging on their door, I have no way to get those 3 lipsticks.

Beware of Sephora. I am so angry right now. I love shopping at Sephora and now I have to cancel my account. We have adults here, so I can give them my business instead... In store. I have NEVER experienced customer service like this. It's mind boggling. Now I get to wait another week to call them again. I'm off to call my credit card and phone and explain why this month's bills aren't getting paid. So much for my credit score.

Original review: May 25, 2017

They said perfume delivered in 2 days. One week later no tracking number - Not sent out... Customer service does not know when it will be shipped or arrive. Will not guarantee my money can be returned. This was a birthday gift.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I have been a Sephora customer for years now and am VIB Rouge. First of all, I went into the store and bought a $58 product (I had to drive an hour to go to the store). The next morning I went to use the product - and it was completely empty so I had to drive another hour to return the empty product - store acted like it didn't even care and looked for residue in the bottle to make sure I was "faking it".

Second - this morning I was placing items in my cart that I was thinking about purchasing due to the 15% off sale. While doing so - I noticed that the Sephora Play! was open for subscription. I proceeded to subscribe. I was notified when doing so that the items already in my cart would be saved and not charged with the order. I proceeded. I got to the confirmation screen and chose which card I wanted to use and was told I'd be charged $10.97 (some change - don't remember exactly). I clicked that I understood the terms of Sephora Play! and clicked "charge". I was taken to a confirmation page.

In less than a minute I received an email confirmation on my order. The confirmation was for $138 and not the $10. The website DID NOT order the Sephora Play! - it ordered the other items that were in my cart that it said it would not charge. I only verified the $10 charge - nothing more. I had to wait for Sephora's phone hours to open. Once I did, I was told that they couldn't cancel the order until it shipped.

Now - okay - I kind of get this. BUT - they charged $138 to my account. That's $128 more than what I authorized. Yes, I had the items in my cart - but I wasn't even given the option add the bonus items that you can get - and I always charge my Sephora orders on my Discover due to getting Cash Back. So now, I have to wait and see if the order will be canceled. The kicker - there is only a 50% chance that it will be canceled. If it's not, I have to wait for the order to arrive at my door and then I have to ship it back. So, my account is $138 less for however long this is going to take. Ugh...

Original review: March 17, 2017

I love Play by Sephora because one it give me a steady gone mom a chance to treat myself to some little surprises each month. The customer service is always awesome and delivery is fast. Let's not forget to mention the price is incredible!

Original review: March 13, 2017

I am an online shopper. I love the convince & having my goods arrive right to my doorstep with a busy lifestyle it suits me perfectly. But that was not the case with Sephora! I have shopped with many well known retailers & I never once had any problems occur with Shipping. Firstly I was very excited to shop with the store for my love for makeup. I made an account, put in all my details, purchased a few products, at checkout I double checked on my details that it was all correct as well as Paypal details. But when Sephora emailed me my Order Summary on that it only stated my Street Name. I live in a apartment so there was No apartment number or the street number... I contacted Sephora to inform them of this I got no response. Finally after a week I got a email saying they will check on the details and any unclaimed order will get sent to their warehouse then they can re-send it to me to my appropriate address and sent me a tracking no.

So I waited another week still no package arrived. Then I decided to call the post to check on the status, I found out that the delivery driver has delivered my products at a "Safe Place"...? But I said "How can it be delivered at a Safe Place when you don't have my apartment number or street number??? And I did not Sign for it???" So the said I can dispute this and they will try to locate exactly what went wrong. Oh... & that the delivery person is away on sick leave??? STRANGE! I'm still waiting on a response. I have also emailed Sephora. Explain all of this and also not much is being done. Only a representative emailed me today. They she will check with Australia Post On the status! Still waiting, I just contacted PayPal & disputed this & hopefully I get a refund as I have buyer's protection. I guess I will just have to wait & see!

Original review: March 12, 2017

I like the variety of samples in the SEPHORA beauty box. The samples are decent sized and are brands I am interested in trying. I really appreciate that I earn SEPHORA rewards points for the purchase of the box and that I earn extra points if I buy a full sized product included in the box.

Original review: March 3, 2017

Using Sephora makeup, very awesome line eye (Works great for my g'daughter pageant. Is awesome.) from eye colors to highlighting your face and please try the spray for after you apply and finished with your makeup about three spray it's done, for me my makeup stays all day!! I truly recommend everyone to try it at least one time. Prices vary on different items, but I have found from the lowest to the highest price... It's truly worth the money. Just try it once. You may be hook also.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Sephora Flash is a complete waste of money and its description is misleading. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I placed THREE online orders in February, along with two in-store shopping trips. The first two orders I placed in February shipped the same day I placed the order or the day after. Because my third order was needed in a rush, I purchased a subscription to Flash just in case. There was no status update the next day so I inquired about my order and was told it might not ship for another 24-48 hours! The representative told me that the 2 day shipping does not include 1-3 days for processing, which completely contradicts the advertised information.

After explaining this to a second "customer service" representative, I was simply given a link that shows shipping times - still not rectifying the situation or doing anything to appease me as a customer who spends hundreds of dollars a month at this company. Regardless of what representatives have said, according to Sephora's shipping guidelines, my order should have shipped and it did not. But bear in mind, when you sign up for Flash, you're agreeing to terms and conditions that basically say this expedited shipping is never guaranteed, so therefore you're throwing your money away. I would have just gone into the store, but I like the free samples that I get when I order online. Now I'll be cutting my ties with Sephora and shopping directly with the cosmetics brands I use.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I had purchased an eyeliner at Sephora a few months back on my gift card that I had gotten for my birthday, well I had brought it back because I didn't like it, well the girl Sephora exchanged it for a different eyeliner I had purchased and instead of taking out of my gift card she had charged my credit card, in which I noticed that when I got my credit card statement. This dumb girl never credited back to my gift card. This purchase was also at the Sephora at JCPenney in Flint MI. When I tried to make a purchase with gift card I was told I had a lower amount, so this girl must have kept the 30.00 dollars on my gift card. When I went up there to point out mistake, the manager said there is nothing they can do about it. I tried to explain but sorry! Well I will never step into another Sephora period! I will shop at Ulta. They are thieves so be very careful when you shop there!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

The previous reviewer of Sephora thought her experience was based on racism, I think perhaps age? I was in the Sephora at Rivertown Mall in Wyoming Mi and had the same type of treatment (I am a ** senior). I went in specifically because of the number of brands they carry and for, what I assumed to be, professional help. I was ignored while others were helped and staff chatted together in the aisles. When I approached a couple of the chatters for help, they were all aflutter because they already had a list of people waiting (I had been on it for a while already and could see why).

Once I got "help" I was told I needed to already know the brand and type of foundation I wanted because she could only try ONE on me. And I needed her why? I went there so they could help me with that. So I picked a brand and she determined my color undertone. She came back with something else (in a different tone because she knew the other would be too light). I was very specific nothing with pink or peachy tone, she paid no attention. To say she was disinterested/bored is an understatement. Their mirrors are all dark coated so you can't determine much yourself. She kept pushing additional products. I purchased the foundation and was furious when I looked in my car mirror and saw my rosy pink face. Went back in and returned it. Will never go back. They act as if they are doing you a favor by even minimally doing their job.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I am a local at Sephora, they sell top selling brands although their service isn't matched. I bought a Kat Von D foundation online in the shade neutral 54 and I received another shade that wasn't what I ordered. I contacted Sephora and they sent out another one to correct their mistake although again it is the wrong shade and now they are not replying to me at all. This is getting beyond ridiculous, I paid for a shade I didn't receive and now the wait time is only increasing, and they are no longer replying to me.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2017

I am disgusted with the service I received and how boldly this cashier acted towards me. I gave her a 20 dollar bill to pay for a pearl face mask that was 4 dollars. I received back 76 cents total. As I was very confused this happened, I asked her where the rest of my change was and replied with "You only gave me a 5 sweetie." I repeatedly told her that this wasn't the case. I asked for the manager and the only thing she said I could do was to wait for a call in the morning and see if the drawer was 14 dollars over. Although I was still livid I figured I didn't want to make a scene. I waited for the call today, never got one. I finally called today around 4 and the manager answered and as I explained what happened and that I didn't get a call she said she was very sorry but she didn't find any money. I asked her if there was any possibility the woman pocketed the money and she said "Absolutely not." I told her that she lost my service and I hung up.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

Whenever I go into a Sephora store, they fail to greet me, while greeting others. I'm hardly ever approached, while they gladly approach other customers on their own. I never look like a homeless person; in fact, I try to look my best whenever I go to a Sephora. But it seems to be useless. I've been a Sephora customer for many years. When I asked for a sample, the employee claimed she was busy and said she'll get someone else to help. And no one came. Then I asked another employee, and she rudely said she was busy. And then I asked another one - same thing. It was like a repeated slap in the face. And then I saw the same employees gladly and immediately making samples for others customers - who were worse-dressed/groomed than I was. Sephora is a lookist, racist place.

I've attended a few of their classes, where I was ignored, spoken to condescendingly, made to feel less valued than others, and assumed to know nothing about makeup when I'm very knowledgeable about it. I'm actually passionate about makeup, and have lots of the products Sephora sells. But shockingly, I'm assumed to know nothing about makeup. It's fine to order online, but the stores are extremely discriminatory, judgmental, hurtful, and unfair. They really love and appreciate some customers while degrading and rejecting others.

It's a terrible place to shop if you're not **, fairly attractive, look very expensive, and have that clubby Sephora vibe. Extremely exclusionary place. Do not spend any of your money there! Boycott Sephora for their severe discrimination and overt racism. By the way - I live in one of the most "progressive" cities in America, one that prides itself on "diversity." For Sephoras in my city to treat me this bad is absolutely shocking and hypocritical.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

In Fall of 2016 I moved addresses and updated the information for my Sephora Play! monthly subscription box. I made sure to update both my shipping address and my payment address, which happen to be the same. I did not receive my box so I contacted customer service and was told that I had not given them enough time to ship to my new address, despite the fact that I gave Sephora 6 weeks notice of the change of information. They said that month's box had been shipped to my old address and there was nothing anyone could do but that my next box would be shipping to me soon. I was put off for sure but wrote it off as a mistake... then I didn't get my next box. I called and waited on the phone for hours. I talked to a slew of polite but completely inept employees who didn't have any answers. I was told I would be contacted by a manager but never was.

Several weeks later I received an e-mail stating that what had happened was they were unable to process my payment information so my monthly subscription was cancelled but that I could join the waiting list to subscribe again once there is room. To cancel my account and make me wait to join again when the error is the company's mistake is terrible customer service. I was told the payment was not processed and my account was not charged. That was not true. I was charged for two boxes in a row that I never received. It has been 5 months and I have gotten no where with customer service. Also there has been no room on the wait list in that time.

As I begin to look online to see if this has happened to anyone else I am seeing that it has happened to a ton of people. I have worked in promotional marketing on a large corporate contract as a brand representative for 6 years now. After reviewing hundreds of claims that Sephora is stealing money from its customers all I am left thinking is, why has there not been a lawsuit over this??? If anyone is involving themselves in litigation for these matters with this company please contact me as my bank records clearly show that my payment was processed though I received no product from them.

I will never purchase another item from them no matter what and I am absolutely not interested in subscribing to the MO they box again. Anyone looking for better offers should look into Ipsy and Birchbox (which are the same price as Play!) Or Julep which is pricier but really awesome. I have never been treated so rudely by a company and I think Sephora should be ashamed of how they ate conducting business. A quick search online reveals the company's history with racial prejudice towards anyone who is not white in addition to their shady dealings of stealing money from customers without shipping products. BOYCOTT SEPHORA!!! PASS THE WORD AROUND THE GLOBE!!! THIS COMPANY IS POORLY RUN AND IS UNETHICAL.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

My daughter placed an order to ship to me for Christmas. When she asked me about it I told her what was in the package and two of the items that were ordered and paid by from her were missing. She called Sephora customer service and they still have not sent out the two missing items nor did they reimburse her yet. The package was sealed and in perfect condition. They just forgot to mail the two other items but they tried to blame UPS which it was not their fault. It was Sephora's error which they are trying not to make good on. My daughter spends a fortune at the store and sometimes on their website you would think they would offer good customer service but it doesn't exist.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

After my nightmare experience with Sephora's customer service, I felt compelled to create an account and write a review--something I've never done. After my order never made it to my house, I contacted Sephora's customer service number to inquire about my shipment. I was told my package had been returned to their warehouse, however, I'd never been contacted about the delivery issue... Perhaps an error on UPS's part. Regardless, I was interrupted from the moment the conversation with the "beauty advisor" started. I helped explain my end of the issue the best I could, throughout the frequent interruptions, and learned they were going to have to send out a new shipment since my original order was returned without my knowing. I was told some of the rewards and samples I had hand picked were no longer in stock and I wouldn't be receiving them.

Since the tracking information showed the package had been on my street the day before, I was puzzled as to how my order could already be altered. Additionally, why was anything from my order being altered and given to other customers at no fault of my own? As I worked to frame my questions in a way the "beauty advisor" could understand, throughout continued and extremely frustrating interruptions, the only response I kept receiving was "your items are no longer available. Your items are no longer available. Your items are no longer available." That sentence rang through my head like a broken record. Why are the items that showed they were on my street just yesterday no longer available?

The response, again by interruption, was "there is nothing I can do." I asked then if I could speak with anybody else that could explain why my items were no longer available and there was nothing he could do, but he said I would need to hang up, call back, and speak to someone else that way because he would not transfer me. I certainly understand triaging and managing calls in a way that reduces the number of escalations. But there must be a better sense of customer service or lack thereof than to recommend I hang up and speak to someone all over again. I'm shocked that Sephora would train their customer service representatives... Sorry, their "beauty advisors" this poorly. I did exactly as told by this pitiful representative, and was connected with another "beauty advisor".

Lo and behold, no notes had been added to my account so I had to re-explain my situation all over again. At least this representative attempted to locate the package to request the drive stop the return--a step in the right direction. Though unsuccessful, he did try to better explain to me why I was no longer going to receive the rewards & a samples I had hand picked. While we decided on picking out new options instead, this "beauty advisor" could not pronounce or explain a single one of my options. He could not explain or remotely describe the items I was supposed to be picking from.

I finally agreed to a couple items, I truly had no idea what was picked because my beauty advisor could not tell me. When he couldn't add them to my cart for whatever reason, he told me I would need to wait until his supervisor could help... Which was perfectly fine... Until he said he had no idea when that would be because he doesn't see anybody nearby. And that I might be better off keeping the points and saving them for next time. We'd been on the phone 40 minutes at this point, so I agreed and was provided a new order with fewer and/or completely different products than I originally ordered. After all this, I'm honestly still not completely sure I understand why.

How does a multi-million dollar company decide to hire this level of customer service? How does any company for that matter, regardless of net worth, allow that embarrassing level of customer service to take place on their dime? I am absolutely ashamed of the way my calls were handled. Never once have I written a negative review, but I couldn't quite get this out of my head, even after taking several days to sleep on it. Please Sephora, for the sake of the customers that would like to return but are now looking to buy elsewhere, you must address your customer service standards.

Sephora expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Sephora was founded in France in 1970 and now operates over 1,900 stores in 29 countries. They have partnered with the department store JCPenney and have over 485 Sephora stores inside of JCPenney locations in the United States. The company offers only prestige makeup brands, including their own Sephora line.

• Science of Sephora: Sephora is dedicated to having the most knowledgeable team of consultants in all their stores, which is why they created the Science of Sephora program. Every Sephora consultant goes through rigorous training so they can identify different skin types and understand skin physiology to help customers find the best products for their skin. The program also teaches consultants background on makeup history, best techniques for application and the science of developing fragrances.
    • Skincare IQ: Use Sephora’s online tool to find products that match your needs based on your skin concern, product type and/or brand. You can also meet with an in-store consultant to figure out your Skin IQ.
    • In-store consultations and makeovers: Schedule a 45-minute full makeover at your local Sephora location. The makeover is complimentary with a minimum $50 purchase. If you have more time, and have more questions about your skincare routine, schedule a customized 90-minute full makeup, skincare and fragrance makeover. This is free with a minimum $125 purchase.
    • In store beauty classes: Sephora regularly offers free beauty classes in their stores to help you learn everything from the basics of contouring to how to apply your own false eyelashes. See the complete list of classes on Sephora’s website or check with your local store.
    • Prestige products: Sephora sells only prestige products, so consumers who are concerned with the ingredients in their makeup can shop at Sephora knowing they are only getting high-quality cosmetics.
    • Best for: Sephora is best for women seeking prestige makeup products. Also, women who want help learning the best ways to apply makeup.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs