Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.12/5

Sally Beauty Supply Reviews

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I used to be a huge fan of Sally Beauty Supply. I'd shop in their stores all the time, and purchased a lot of my hair care needs from them. Recently, I tried to purchase a curling iron online and send it to my friend for Christmas (she lives far away, so I have to ship gifts to her), and I placed my order and then when the box arrived at her house the curling iron wasn't in there!

I called their customer support and waited for twenty minutes to speak to a human being and then was greeted with a serious attitude. When I tried explaining my situation, the woman told me that the iron is out of stock and that I would be refunded. So why would they have let me purchase it if it was out of stock? And why didn't I get notified when they realized that? So after a very unpleasant conversation with the woman with Sally's customer support, I ordered a different iron from them. Then I had the same exact thing happen. Sally beauty supply is absolutely the last company I will ever purchase from online ever again. Their stock information is clearly inaccurate, their customer service reps did not treat me with respect, and their communication with customers about circumstances like this needs some serious work.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

Zero stars is not an option, hence the 1 star. Bought a set of clippers, $89.00 on sale with my professional discount. I have a set of these clippers and love them. I needed another pair to keep at my mom's house for when I am in town and cut my son's hair so Sally was the only option open. I bought the clippers, took them home and immediately knew there was a problem, they made a metal to metal sound, which tells me the blades are not lined up properly. I have had many sets in my 30+ year career and know this can happen from them being dropped, or mishandled in shipping. I went back to the store to exchange them and was informed that all sales are final on appliances? Seriously, even if the item you bought doesn’t work. I wrote the store and pleaded my case, I am a professional, have had my sally card for more than 20 years, I just want a pair of clippers that work. Nope. What store doesn’t stand behind their products?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Recently in Sally's #2893, Assistant Store Manager verbally assaulted my 7 year old son and daughter. We were looking at hairbrushes and apparently we are not allowed to touch them. There was no sign indicating this. The employee "Sass" charged at us in a very threatening manner and became verbally abusive. This is shocking for me as a long time shopper at Sally's. I am so disappointed that this nasty individual is the face of Sally's. Shame on them for not vetting out this bully.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I have shopped Sally Beauty for many years. I always was confident I was able to get professional advice on hair, make up and nails. Recently it seems they hire any slob off the streets to merely cashier, I can't get advise on anything. Seriously? The Legacy store is a mess. Shopping at another Sally's.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

This place hires these people who give the worst advice, little history. I used Walmart boxes for a long time with no problems at all, until I moved on my own and thought well I’m moving up in the world. Let’s go to Sally’s. Well first off why I listen to these dumbasses I have no clue. I guess I just try my best to hope no one is trying to hurt me every corner. False.. In St. Augustine Florida there’s one old women who worked there for years. If you're young she will give you advice to destroy your hair if you're old. Your luck she helps you.

In GA I wanted red head. Used hi color highlights and these girls gave me directions to fry my hair and it worked. Morganton NC this women waved around she went to Cosmo school. She gave me the worst advice to fry my hair again and she couldn’t even look at me when I came in to get my money back. She kept blaming it on me on how I put my dye on my head, so I called her a sour puss as she walked away. Anyways Granite Falls, they are as dumb as inbreeds. Why does this company hire these people who have no experience in this field?

I’ve done nothing but fire my hair going and listening to this company and every time I try and hope that they are actually helping me and I'm DONE. I’m doing my color oops and I’m done. I’m going back to buy my faithful Revlon brand at Walmart. Yea the cheapest kind that smells bad for a few days. Because I’m tired of being taken advantage of and having short hair. ** you Sally's and thanks for screwing me of my hair. Bet I bleached it at home once with directions from a worker I lost a full cup of hair off the back of my head. Idk where to put that in this review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sally Beauty Supply?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

So I just purchased 4 items at Sally Beauty. I was told they are not using plastic bags and offered me a small bag for 15 cents!!!! What? Like they are not making a profit on their products!! This is ridiculous!! The hair color that I’ve been purchasing for years now increased this year from $5.49 to $7.99 for two ounces! I’m going to look elsewhere or order online!!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Shady Shady Shady. Purchased hair clippers. Took them home, opened the container and it was obvious that they have been heavily used. They are filthy, covered in scratches, and full of hair. Ok, so somebody at the location made a mistake, no big deal. Not even 24 hours later I went to return the clippers and was told all clipper sales are final. I’m sorry WHAT? This is a policy, I agree, but someone hasn’t been following or I wouldn’t receive used clippers, right?

No problem, I’ll call the corporate number and speak to someone with common sense and get a refund. Nope, same answer from the “customer care” call center professional. This person straight up told me that what happened was impossible.... Of course all supervisors were busy and could not take my call. I’m not holding my breath on a return call. DO NOT PURCHASE CLIPPERS FROM THIS STORE. I have a sneaking suspicion that one of the employees is exchanging used equipment or something....

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I would recommend staying away from this store. They will not sell you products for the price advertised and talk down to you as if you are dumb. Absolutely none of them upon my visit, including the store manager CAN'T READ! They tell you to order online to get the sales price even when you show them on their own website the price, they will not honor it. Their website states, "IN STORE ONLY", in all bold red lettering with a BIG RED CAUTION SYMBOL, but they continue to argue and deny selling me for that price!!! As if that is not enough they lie to you, and get you so worked up, and laugh as you are heading out of the store!!! Not professional and very immature!

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

My daughter went to get a "peanut" trimmer for my husband who is a stroke survivor. The guy at the store told my daughter that the trimmer (Andis) brand would be better since it has a T blade to smooth shave corners, etc., She brings it home - I plug it in and start doing my husband's care and the unit heats up so bad that I am unable to hold it so I stop and take it to the store the very next day. Then the same guy who helped my daughter then says that all sales are final and they pull out a board saying that and their receipt says that as well. But then I said we just got it yesterday and the unit just heats up. Then he said to call the manager Lyni the next day. The next day I call Lynni- she gave me a tel # to call on Monday after 9.00 am since it was a Saturday. I call the customer service on Monday. The rep tells me to call Andis customer service and gave me a tel #.

I call the Andis customer service line and they tell me that they can repair it for me- I told them I don't want it repaired since I just bought this thing then they tell me they can't refund but that I have to go back to the retailer to get a refund. I call Lyni back and she says she CANNOT DO ANY REFUND. So fellow consumers watch where you go and buy your products - I feel they know that these products are having problem why are they trying to sell it-- I feel these products are just repaired and then sent back to the store and wait for a naive consumer to fall in the trap for the whole 'cycle' to start -- to try to get your hard earned money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I purchased a flat iron on Sally’s website back on 6/4/2019 and I received my order on 6/7/2019. I paid for my order through PayPal. I decided I did not like the flat iron and decided to return it. Since I purchased the flat iron online, I requested a return request from Sally's on 6/11/2019. I was provided a UPS return label for the flat iron from Sally's. The return was accepted at Sally's return address on 6/17/2019. The UPS tracking number confirms the item I sent back was delivered to the Columbus, Ohio address and was left at the office and was received by "Highfill."

I need to know why my refund was not processed back to my PayPal account. To date, I have not received a refund and my PayPal account needs to be credited since I am not in possession of the item I purchased online. I tried calling customer service but was unable to reach a live person. I have wasted my time attempting to reach a live person to discuss this issue but was unsuccessful in doing so. It appears customer service is nonexistent with Sally’s if you try to reach their main customer service number. I have wasted my personal time in trying to get this matter resolved.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This is by far the worst company to shop with or work for. The return policy is different at different locations for some reason. The company only cares about money not the customer and most definitely not the associates. The DM publicly addressed as associate as being a slave driver which showed me a lot about the professionalism and leadership of this company. As a customer that was racist and belittling. Coupons that are sent out never seem to work so you either stand there for long periods of time while employee is on the phone with tech support and finally get tired of waiting and leave without your merchandise or you spend more money than you planned without the coupon. Ethnic products never have promotional sales advertised like the other products do so for cheaper price I get my curly hair products from Walmart. After hearing that guy talk to that associate like that I have a change of heart about this place. So sad.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I went to the Sally Beauty Supply on South East Street in Indianapolis yesterday and was sorry I wasted my time. There was 2 very young ladies working there. I asked for help to find hair color for older women. They pointed me to a few and then went on about their business. I read the box on one and then asked if I needed to buy developer as well. The somewhat heavyset young lady picked up the box I was looking at and said, "Yes I need to buy developer." So I am standing there looking for developer. This lady then proceeded to tell me that the hair color would not work for me because it was made for hair like hers and it only coats the hair. She did not suggest anything else. So I left without making a purchase. I was really hoping for help to find a hair color that was more healthy for my hair than what I had been using but I sure didn’t get it. I won’t return for anything else.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I purchased the product protection plan and was told I could exchange in store. Now I have defective clippers and have to send them off to Wahl for repair. That is not how it was explained to me and I will never purchase the plan again. I can’t even use the warranty for a year.

Original review: July 12, 2019

BEWARE -- I purchased an item that was defected. Tried to exchange it but I was told ALL SALES ARE FINAL. Really, I was never told this when purchasing and how can a store sell a defective product and not stand behind their name. Don't waste your time or money at Sally Beauty Supply -- total scam.

Original review: June 22, 2019

The login process is so laborious I gave up. So annoying to have to go thru 50 of those robot verifications. I HATE THOSE THINGS. The boxes or pictures are not concrete and it keeps throwing your answers out. MAKE CLEAR PICTURES THAT DON'T OVERLAP BOXES. HONESTLY I WILL SHOP ELSEWHERE BEFORE I DO THAT!

Original review: May 26, 2019

I started ordering online because in store experiences have been painful. First order went well... No issues. 2nd order had to contact customer service 3 times because coupon that was mailed to me at correct address & good for online orders did not have a code to use online. Agent implied I was trying to stack or use more than 1 coupon... Not the case. Finally was able to place order. Delivered to my previous address. Mind you, last order & coupon delivered to correct address. Customer service non-existent in this company. Very sad.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I went into the store and waited 45 minutes for a refund that I never got. She did not know how to use the computer system. I get it, it's new, but she is the store manager. But I am not sure why her problem is my problem. She suggested that I but something else so I don't need a refund, drive 30-45 minutes to another Sally's and then find one that used the other computer system.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I placed an order online and I got a response that my order didn’t go through due to my billing address. Next day I check my bank, and they took out 4 payments. I spoke to them and they said, "We didn’t charge you anything. Those are just pending holds." Well 8 business days later I got my money back. Don’t ever ever order from them.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I don’t ever write reviews but I had to write this one. I usually buy go in store when I shop at Sally’s but this time I decided to buy online. The website claimed it has free shipping on 25 dollars so I spent way over that. I placed my order on 3/20 in the late afternoon. The next day I realized I hadn’t received an order confirmation. I didn’t get one until 3/22. I also received a shipping confirmation without any tracking information. I had to go to Sally’s website in my order history to get it. The tracking information was incorrect and I could get no tracking history for my package. It was the weekend so I decided to give it until Monday.

On 3/23 they emailed me to say two of my products would not be shipped and I would get a refund. So if the item was unavailable why did you leave it up there to be purchased. Again I looked past this. I called customer care Monday. After a 30 minute wait a woman answered the phone. After explaining to her about my tracking I information not working she couldn’t provide me with one that was working. She claimed she had to contact the warehouse and that would take 24 hours. That annoyed me even more. Today I checked 3/26 and the tracking number is active and it states my package won’t arrive until 4/02. What happened to 2 day shipping? I will never purchase here again and save my self all this back and forth hassle. I rather spend my money where it is valued.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I have placed an order via Sally Beauty online, worst mistake I ever made. My order stayed in processing for over 2 days, I was sent a nontraceable tracking number, no response via email or phone. I was on hold forever with no response. I will never do this again and I advise anyone thinking of shopping online via Sally Beauty Supply... Do not do it.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I placed an order during the late afternoon on 3/21/19. As I was checking out online I reviewed all my information and clicked the place order button. I got the swirly icon (processing) then nothing. Still at the place order screen. So I scrolled up and saw a red box. The red box was a message stating that “due to either a higher order volume or connection error my order could not be placed. Your card will not be charged until you order is successfully processed. Please check back in a few minutes and try again. For help contact....” So I waited a few minutes and tried again same message. I did this 6 times. I logged out, logged back in, and went through the entire process again re-entering my information. It was at this point I realized that the address I was shipping to was different from my billing address. I added my billing address and continued on to place my order. It then was successful.

I immediately went and emailed customer service to express that I understood the red box message stated I wouldn’t be charged but I wanted to have the reassurance that I wouldn’t. I had read a review on here that said another customer had the same thing happen to her. I checked my email the next morning and the only thing in my email from Sally Beauty was my order confirmation with the exact charge for my order. Later on in the day on 3/22/19 my husband called me from our bank and told me that we had been charged for every single attempt I had made at placing the order, over $500 was taken from my account. I had a screenshot of the message in the red box that clearly states that this EXACT thing would NOT happen.

I got on the phone and called customer service at Sally Beauty. The representative I spoke with was very very nice, friendly, and helpful. The only reason for the 2nd star I might add. He explained that each time you hit that place order button your bank (meaning the customers bank!???!) puts a hold on that order amount and that your (my) account was not actually charged and wouldn’t be until order is shipped. It’s all in the pending stage until then. Okay well then why did my bank (and his online banking account) tell my husband that the money (over $500) was paid to Sally Beauty? And why would my bank automatically authorize 7 identical charges when I have fraud protection? (But that’s a different can of worms opened up after dealing with Sally’s.)

In the end I had to contact my bank to get the fax number from them so that my money could be put back into my account, which I had to wait through the weekend for in the middle of a huge snowstorm, hoping that nothing catastrophic happened where I’d be needing that quite large amount of money to go back into my account. Please please be advised!! If you try to place an order online with Sally Beauty and it doesn’t successfully place your order the first time CALL Customer Service IMMEDIATELY!! And whatever you do, do NOT trust the message at the top of the screen in the red box. You WILL be charged for every single time you press the place order button!!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been shopping at Sally Beauty Supply stores for 32 years. I've lived in 4 different states and the Portland Maine location is the worst. I am not only given bad advice, but the manager of the store particularly when I came in 3/20/19 at 11 am was very rude again! I came in to return a color that I bought 2 weeks ago, unopened with a receipt and I was told to wait while she went back into the office for 15 min, she then began to ask me the same questions over and over. Interrogating me very meanly until I began shaking and scared of her. I told her that my grey was coming in and the stuff I usually use was gonna be too dark, eventually she returned it but I was very upset with how bad she treated me, no one was wearing a name tag.

A couple months ago she did the same thing, I had my receipt and it was unused. She was so nasty I cried, and I told her I won't come back again, she said nothing. Unfortunately I need Sally and I need better advice, all the advice I get is either bleach it, keep bleaching and get the bucket. When I change my mind and dont want to I get- so you're returning ALL this? I really am thinking of never going back and strongly recommending my family and friends not to shop at Sally. I've had to return products because it caused dermatitis and I get treated badly. I'm still very upset. I've emailed corporate and apparently nothing has changed. As a customer I mean nothing and I've lost only my hair and my money there.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I love Sally Beauty but what bothers me is that they don't take orders over the phone if you're having online issues. What kind of business does not take online orders when your site is not working. Definitely losing business. I called Customer Service and advised them of the issue I was having online and then I asked if I can place my order with the representative and she full out said, "NO. We don't process orders over the phone." Nice way to keep customers happy.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I recently had the "dip" nails removed, which left my nails scuffed up. Not wanting to process them again for a while, I decided to only use OPI Nail Envy Nail Strengthener. The product normally sells for around $10, $11, or even $12. My husband was charged $17.99, plus CA tax, it came to $19.38 -- about twice what it should have cost. That's the last time we go into that place. I am sick of their ridiculously high prices. A dollar or two, OK, but not twice the amount. I feel like a chump and they have lost a customer.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

I went into Sally Beauty in Oakville two days ago. I was looking at the medium golden blonde Christie Brinkley hair extensions. They did not look like they matched my color from the box and as you know you are not allowed to open the box and there is just a few pieces of hair you can use the hold up to your own hair to see if it matches. I asked the girls and the girl said the hair is not necessarily supposed to match every hair on your head and that is why the hairpiece has various colors in it. That way you can blend in with various shades of hair. This is what they explain to me.

When I got home both my spouse and I saw it did not match at all. I did not wear it and yet they are refusing to return it. I even called corporate office which I thought would have a voice above them and they said they cannot come it’s the store to return it either. This was only two days ago that I bought it and it is still in the packaging. I know in the store like maybe the color match closer to my hair but in the natural light as well as in other lights the hair is a completely different shade. I’m very disappointed in this and hope I’m not losing $100 just because Sally Beauty‘s cashiers wanted to get some commission and sold me the wrong hair color.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

First of all they claim to have “2 day shipping over $25” but the products take a week to come...like huh? Anyways, they don’t even indicate if a product is sold out. Why would you make the product available to “add to basket” when it really wasn’t available to begin with? Now the money has already been taken off my card and I have to wait even more days for a refund. -_- What’s even more annoying is that no matter how many times you try to contact them, they don’t flippin answer. All of this would have been avoided if they let customers know which products are and aren’t available for purchase. Well I’m done shopping with 'em, completely waste of time.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

Horrible customer service. I walk into the store, it reeks of nail polish or nail polish remover, and there's no employee in sight. I heard a faint welcome from the back, and it's obvious that someone is back there and has been playing with nail polish. I came in looking for some hair bleach, developer, and toner. I don't usually get help from salespeople, but I was in a rush. My mom, who was with me, told the person working there that we needed help finding the hair toner. The employee had dyed pink hair, so I figured she might be knowledgeable about hair toner. She takes some time to find it, which I really could have done myself, and while she's searching, she doesn't say excuse me to get us to move or anything. She just kind of moves in our way.

It was awkward. I tell her thank you, and would have left it there, but she was around my age, so I felt comfortable asking more questions. I asked if the toner I wanted, Wella T18, was there. She finds it, and it's a small bottle, so I asked her "Do I need two of these?" to get a second opinion, as application of hair product varies depending on the person and their hair type/thickness. I was very sweet and asked her as if she was a friend. She so coldly and rudely told me "Do you think you need two?" I was taken aback. I was thinking... I don't know??? You're the employee, I've never used toner before so I don't know? Why would I ask if I knew? She was so rude and stuck up.

I brushed it off in the moment because I was so shocked. She could have said anything but that. She could have said she's not knowledgeable enough to know if I need two, or that it depends on my hair, or heck, even say "Yes, you'll need a couple haha." Something. Instead she gives a nasty attitude. I'm never going back there. She doesn't deserve a job with that type of attitude. I gave two stars instead of one, because she at least found the product I wanted.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I went to the Sally Beauty Supply in Panorama City, I wanted to dye my hair a lighter shade. It was already kinda a reddish blond, but I wanted more of a sandy blond. I had a wig that I wanted to match them with. The lady there saw that I had a little regrowth of darker brown hair so she suggested I stripped the color from all of my hair. I like a fool took her advice and weakened my hair. I should have walked away but she spoke like she was a hairdresser something. I will never take advice from anyone working @ Sally Beauty Supply. They don't know anything about what is safe for your hair. My hair is broken and it's going to take me a while to regrow. It makes me sad because I believed the her. I thought she knew product. I was wrong. This review is to warn others that Sally's employees are just on the clock and could care less if they give you wrong information that will ruin your hair.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

How ridiculous to set up a 2 day delivery game and take 3+ days to put the product in the bag! They take marketing tips from Amazon, but have no clue about managing expectations or actually following through.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Don’t ever trust what they say! You would think they would know something about hair since it is a beauty store. I was talking to the cashier And apparently the manager. I was asking them about the best hair straightening PERM, since I didn’t want to spend a whole lot of money at a salon... Boy how I wish I would have spent that money on a professional! They told me and I quote: "You don’t have to spend extra money on the straight perm. You can get the basic perm kit... the ones that was used in the early 90’s because everyone had to have curly hair." They said that, "That is the exact same thing, but instead of putting your hair in rollers, just brush it straight." Boy, were they wrong on so many levels. It completely messed my hair up and half of it came out on the brush that I was using to keep it “brushed straight.” You would figure that they would have some kind of training since they work at a beauty supply store!

Please, take my warning seriously, do not take any advice from those people!!! My bad experience was the store located in Thomasville, NC. Thank you Sally for ruining my hair, and now I have to spend so much more money to get it fixed!!! I’m rating this one star, because it doesn’t give you an option to rate zero. You know me not shopping there with my three girls that dye their hair very often isn’t gonna make much of a financial difference for you, but hopefully I can open up someone’s eyes to read my warning. So disappointed and disgusted with this company!!!

Sally Beauty Supply Company Information