1.19/5
Based on 518 reviews that contain star ratings

598 Proactiv Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 13, 2019

Today Proactiv deducted funds from my account after it was cancelled in March 29, 2019. I have documents that prove it. Now what’s going to stop them from doing it again? My banking institution suggests I call and now I have to wait 3-5 days for money that should have NEVER been touched!

Original review: March 1, 2019

So I purchased Proactiv because I thought it was designed for sensitive skin. I used the the products and it immediately started burning my skin. At first I thought it might just be part of the process but I immediately broke out in hives all over my face. I have a chemical burn on my face now plus my acne. I have tried using calming things for my burns and hives but everything just makes it worse. It is very painful. I can't even move my face and putting makeup on to cover it up is not an option because even that hurts. I'm very disappointed. It's been days my face still burns horribly. The side effects aren't subsiding. I feel like Proactiv needs to let customers know that if they have super sensitive skin (like mine) there's a possibility it will make their appearance worse. Now I not only have to worry about my acne, but I have to worry about my chemical burns and hives.

Get expert buying tips about Acne Treatment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I purchased 2 Hello Kitty brush sets as gifts. Amount spent was $150. One of the sets was missing a bristle brush and after numerous calls and emails they won’t replace it. They said I could buy one. I already paid for this brush! And customer service... If I could give zero stars I would!!! They have foreigners working for them who don’t understand English! According to my attorney, Proactiv is a useless and worthless company that does not stand behind their products. He said they need to be put out of business permanently. I just wish that one of the useless reps have a situation like this and it won’t be corrected. How can I give a gift with a brush missing? I take comfort in the fact that I did get three people to cancel their subscription to Proactiv and two local stores are doing the same!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Again. Proactiv+ sent in error to me. Contacted dept to make them aware; yet again that this had been canceled. Spoke to advisor who was very rude and condescending. Sent complaint however this to same support department who again not recognising what is being said and demanding payment. SHOCKING AND VERY POOR. I would not advise anyone purchases from these people as I feel we are being conned and robbed.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Proactiv is a whole lie. I ordered it cause I saw a lotta positive reviews on their Instagram page. When I received it I started using it & for the first 3 days my skin was looking great but after that it just made my skin worse & worse. Now my skin is severely irritated & dry. I wasn't able to do anything to fix it so I had to go to a dermatologist. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS FOR ANYBODY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Proactiv?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Last year I ordered the three step program twice and both times I received a note in the order that the third step was not available so they were sending me some random item that I didn't request. I called them after the second time. If you are selling a three-step product, then it seems like there should be three steps received. This is just fraud. I called and complained and they promised to send me the third item free of charge. I waited two months and did not receive the item so called again. They told me that they have a note in the system that I had in fact called and they promised to send me the third step. The fact that it hadn't arrived was unimportant to Ariel who answered the phone when I called back the third time. He told me that my account had been canceled two months earlier and so now there was nothing they could do. This is absolutely incredible and complete fraud.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

We've never contacted Proactiv nor ordered anything from them. Somehow, they obtained our credit-card information. Over a nine-day period around the recent holidays, they placed three charges against our card for a total of about $500.00. We're having to cancel the credit card now to protect ourselves.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was on a subscription for Proactiv. I called and mailed several times to cancel my order and even cancelled my credit card due to them continuing to charge. I then started receiving bills in the mail from them. While this was going on, I had not received any product in months! I then received a notice from a collection company where the company had turned me over for $32! Do NOT sign up with this company under any circumstances!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

While living in Guam I ordered an on sale special for my daughter, believe it was around $19 instead of regular priced $34. Product came in the mail and regular price charged to my card. Oh well, but a few months later I notice I am being billed monthly at full price and no product. I assumed it was a one time order. After about 6 months I cancel my card to stop this. Shortly thereafter they start sending me these phony collection notices, outrages! I ignored the collection notices and about a year later they ceased. Worst company I have dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

I bought this for my 14 year old daughter as she suffered with mild acne, but it wasn’t bad. It was a couple of spots on her face but all the time, but no massive patches of blotchiness or spots. However, this treatment has made her skin a million times worse. In the first couple of weeks it seemed to be doing miracles, then more spots than ever started breaking out on her cheeks (she would only usually get them on her forehead) so I took her off the product and back on to what she was on before which didn’t cause any more spots than what she used to have whereas this product did, now she has stopped using Proactiv fully, her skin has now turned into moderate-severe acne and has to be on doctor's tablets. I honestly advise anyone who is looking to use this product not to, not only does it do nothing to your skin, it’s an absolute rip off! Still charge you once you stop your subscription. Honestly wish I never heard about Proactiv.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Avoid their subscription services at all costs, even if the product works for you. Order through a 3rd party vendor if you must have it. Do not do business with Proactiv directly unless you like your money stolen from you under threats of collection. After subscribing to their monthly Proactiv MD kit, my wife gave the product a fair shot for about 5 weeks. It resulted in further breakouts and extremely dry skin, even with their recommended steps. She stopped paying for the product as she did not want to use it anymore, yet they continued to send monthly shipments and bills for product that she did not want.

After several phone calls and rendering payment for product she did not wish to use, they sent yet another shipment. A bill soon followed which she promptly disputed and then later set up a return. Over the phone, Proactiv accepted the return and it was sent back a couple weeks later. They received the return 10/31. Fast forward to the week of 12/17 (6 weeks after they received their product back) and a collections threat shows up in the mail. Livid at this point, we attempt to deal with this one more time via phone, just to be told the product was returned outside the 60 day guarantee window, even though it was sent back only 2 weeks after they authorized the return via phone, and sent via Priority Mail so it would be received in a timely manner.

In short, nobody on the phone would nullify the bill for the product that Proactiv acknowledged they received via return, and insisted the amount must be paid in full. So, $90 stolen out of our pockets to avoid a ding on our credit history, Proactiv keeping the returned product (they've had it for the last 6 weeks, and will keep it far as I know), and several wasted phone calls to incompetent scammer CS employees. I even caught one individual twice on the phone admitting to their shady billing and cancellation practices and that agreeing that it was no way to do business. Avoid Proactiv as a business at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

AVOID- WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER RECEIVED - placed order Sept 2018, order was wrong & service was shocking so cancelled my plan. Cut to Dec 2018 - Proactiv take £29.97 from my bank without any further order or authorisation - this is THEFT! Them because they’ve dispatched goods I never ordered, they REFUSE REFUND until their goods are returned - APPALLING. By the way - I have CANCER!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I bought this product for my 14 yr old and within the first month the product seemed like it was starting to work then it flipped and made her skin worse than when we started. When I contacted the company to cancel the monthly products, they asked why so. I explained and they just didn't care. And you can't even post on their site any review unless it's stellar.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

These company is a crook. Their products does not work, and very hard to cancel. After waiting for 20 mins on the phone and canceled, they continue to send bill without sending products. Repeating writing, and calling for them to stop sending bills has no effects on them. Month after month, they keep on sending bills without any products. Be aware believing those ad on TV. These people are crook.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

If I could, I would give these people a NEGATIVE zero. Poor customer service, poor satisfaction, rude and stupid agents... I could go on. But the real problem is, don't purchase this unless you want to end up in the ER because your face is falling off. You then agree to only pay like 30 or 50 bucks for the product... only to find that they end up (without permission) taking 200 dollars out of your account. So you call up to cancel it and the card was already canceled they took it anyways.

They give you a hard time, and won't take your card off. Or refund it... finally talk to someone else that kinda has a brain to claim that they will refund all of the 200 dollars back into your account only to find that they give you $39.00 back and literally tell you to ** off. If you have a brain, stay clear of these people and their mindless stupidity. Go to Walmart and buy Stridex, or maybe Clearasil something that actually keeps your face clear and doesn't EAT your skin. I should sue, but they aren't even worth it. Good day.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Proactiv has acknowledged they are aware that this charge was fraud yet continue to harass me and threaten collections. And really, this is the response I get to my message? Did Doris even READ my message??? Original Message: Comment = This charge (89.85) was determined to be fraudulent activity on my credit card. Please remove this charge from my name. Order #** Creditor Account #**. I just spoke with a technician at Proactiv who advised this was cancelled in April 2018 so I should not be getting bills or be sent to collections. Please stop collections procedures and remove this activity from my name. I have notified Proactiv on several occasions.

Response: "Dear Shannon, Thank you for contacting Proactiv® regarding account #**. If you feel that your charge card has been compromised, please contact your credit card company for further action. In addition, we encourage you to report this incident to our Suspicious Activity Department, to ensure that we have a comprehensive record of this matter. Our Suspicious Activity Department can be reached at 888-652-8904 from 8:00 am to Midnight EST 7 days a week. Shannon, if you need additional assistance, you may reach Customer Service at 800-235-6050. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Thank you, Doris."

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was a Proactiv customer for over 6 years, then found a cheaper product with a greater concentration of ** (Perrigo), cancelled my recurring order, then they send me an additional order and after I returned it unopened, then followed up multiple times with the rather dense third party billing company, and showed them the proof of delivery, they send me an e-mail saying, "You're good, we received the shipment and account is clear and closed." THEN... I started getting past due billings and threats for collections.

I think Proactiv has a pretty good product, but if you look closely into the ingredients you find little medicine and lots of fluff and fragrance, with fancy marketing and packaging. I'd rather use the Perrigo which is get 'er done medicine without the fancy poop. Anyway, companies like Proactiv sadly ultimately learn the hard way that you can fool some people some of the time but when you're all ate up on your accounting end and start hassling folks, well, it comes out like rain in review like this. : ) My advice - shop around - make sure those "results" aren't just in your mind.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

This is a product that works well for me. I have a subscription and although I believe it to be overpriced and I detest the packaging -- the bottles keep changing and breaking (getting cheaper and cheaper) -- I have used it. Recently they were out of what I ordered so they SUBSTITUTED WHAT I ORDERED FOR SOMETHING I DID NOT WANT, DID NOT ORDER, AND CANNOT USE AND THEY CHARGED ME FOR IT!!! Cancelling my subscription. I would buy the products if they were available at the drugstore.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018
Original review: July 15, 2018

I ordered a 30 day treatment for my teenage daughter, having seen the advert on TV. It was obvious that I was signing up for a recurring purchase. The 30 day treatment was quickly followed with a 90 one for which, I was billed 3 installments totalling £79. I wasn’t very happy as I thought I was only purchasing a month’s worth. I, however, paid off what I owed but made contact with CS requesting that my account be cancelled. The last payment went out in June and I thought that was it. On checking my account, I noticed that more money had been drawn from my account on Friday. I emailed CS and asked them to refund my money as my account was supposed to have been cancelled. They responded asking for further info in order to deal with my issue.

I sent the info requested and did not get any response. I came onto this site and noticed how much issues people were having cancelling their accounts and/or getting their money back. This morning I spoke to my bank requesting that all future payments be stopped and after having explained what the issues were, they said that they would not only stop further payments but would also request for my money back. I have just checked my account and the money has been returned. Just wanted to share as I think it may help. I won’t be using the Proactiv site again and I hope that they are aware that if they do send me any more products, I will not be accepting them and they will not be able to take any more money from my account.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Issues with Proactiv.com: 1. Didn’t understand that I was buying into a subscription. 2. Calls to cs are inefficient and tangential. Canceling subscriptions and returning products require two very lengthy conversations with cs who are not native English speakers and who speak slowly and deliberately. Reps painstakingly touch every single base whether apropos or not. No return address is available online. Contact with a rep is necessary. 3. Snake oil and cultish.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I don't have any negatives to report about Proactiv, except maybe the price is a little high. I have been a member since 2004 and God bless them! I hit the acne phase at 18. Dealt with it for 2 years and finally called Proactiv. First wash was so cleansing and it was working immediately. I was almost 100% clear within weeks. In 14 years I have been curious about a couple products. When I call to ask about a sample size to try they ALWAYS thank me for my years of being a customer and offer to send me a full size bottle of that product free of charge. I think that is so nice and appreciative. It's too bad it doesn't work great for everybody and some have bad interactions with the company representatives. If I have learned one thing in my life, you catch more bees with honey! Be nice and not crappy and entitled and things will work out for you! Thanks Proactiv!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I was a member of a class action lawsuit against Proactiv for which I was provided a merchandise certificate entitling me to $75 worth of merchandise. Proactiv not only billed me for the product they also continued to ship product after I had made numerous calls to stop shipping. I requested a call tag numerous times as I had requested they stop shipment in a timely manner. I was finally provided a call tag after which I returned the fraudulently shipped products. I retained proof of delivery and made several calls after I stared to receive letters from a collection agency. Proactiv stated they received the product but it was beyond the acceptable return date. The company shipped products after I cancelled the order and requested they credit the credit card used as I was entitled to the Class Action Lawsuit award.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought the product for my kid. It really irritated the skin so I decided to cancel. They bill monthly and then send the quarterly package. Trying to cancel is a nightmare. Customer “service” is nonexistent, probably because most of the calls are handled by companies overseas (I asked and they said they were in the Philippines). Their English skills are marginal and they primarily read from a script. When seeking help for a problem, the language skills are not there to really help so it is a waste of time. I requested a US representative, they said it will take 24 to 48 hours. This company’s practices should be investigated because I think they purposely disregard requests to cancel, and charge without authority.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I only used it 2 days in a row and my face started burning. Felt like my face was on fire. And now I have red spots all over my face and dry spots too. My face hurts so much. I have never had a reaction like this from any other kinds of face products. And it does say not to be in too much sun exposure but I work nights so that wasn't it at all. Beware people.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I would never recommend using this company. You create an account and give them billing rights. Well... I have cancelled my account multiple times and surprise keep receiving product and bills. I have called again and again to have them returned and credited only to behold I can only return them if I PAY SHIPPING for THEIR mistake. This last time I was promised a shipping label to return. Was told it would arrive in 6-8 weeks. So today what do I get in the mail... a notice from them threatening collections. I cannot express enough. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I had an account profile, with my card payment info on file, but they do not bill to that. Why ask for it then? I kept getting an overdue invoice and would have to call to ask them to bill my card. So, I had to call to pay the bill. When I informed the gal that I had paid towards it, she said she did not see any payments on file. I had to go to my Chase account and I found the payment there as proof. In this day and age, it is unbelievable that Proactiv does not allow for your bill to be paid online and therefore to also show payments that have been made. They only accept payment by check, money order or over the phone.

You cannot change your next shipment to be delayed online, only by phone speaking to an agent. You cannot quit the recurring shipments online, only by phone. It is completely setup to get you into a recurring subscription that is a complete pain to change. I demanded that they close my account. Well now, I can no longer retrieve my order history online, but my account is still up and "My Next Shipment Date" is still showing and will not allow me to make changes to cancel it. I feel like this is Columbia House calling from 1984...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I used this product which to be fair was really good and cleared my skin. I stopped using this product about a year ago as I stopped receiving it. No idea why. Out of the blue I had a payment taken out in November and a payment taken out today! I moved address about a year ago and updated this on the website which states delivery address. Still not received the product.

Called them today and they have advised they cannot refund me for November’s even though I did not receive it. I said I would like to speak to a manager and their response was it will take up to 10 days for a call back of a manager! Which, being an industry staff member myself is not very good customer service. I am appalled that when I changed the delivery address that the delivery address in fact did not change! The csr advised that I ‘should have called’ which it does not state this on the website! Which is their error, not mine! I will update my review in around 10 days when I get a call back from a manager.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I was disappointed with the product because it didn't work, but most of all disappointed with their customer service and advertising. The advertising is extremely misleading, because when you place your first order they don't tell you that you're locked into a 3 month contract for £75. When you try and cancel the contract customer services are unfriendly and unhelpful, even if you want to return the product because it doesn't work. The company is totally misleading. DON'T TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A BARGE POLE, YOU'LL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Proactiv has confirmed they have received my returned items, but REFUSE to issue a refund. Told me it would take 12 weeks to process the refund... no refund yet. Call to see what the status is... I am told that they received the return after the 60 days, even though I sent it before. And they will NOT give me the money back, THEY CONFIRM THEY HAVE THEIR PRODUCTS!!! Operator said she didn't know why I was told 12 weeks, because that would have they only guarantee up to 60 and I needed to call sooner. Again... They have their products and kept my money. $131!!!

Proactiv expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Proactiv is a household name when it comes to acne treatment. Launched in 1995, the company's popular products are the result of 10 years of research.

• Hydrating ingredient: The best kind of acne treatments can dry out your skin, which is why good skin hydration is important during treatment. Proactiv uses hyaluronic acid to put moisture back into your cleansed and treated skin.

• Money-back guarantee: The company promises to return your money if the product doesn't work for you. Just send the bottles back if you are not satisfied.

• Free products: Proactiv's introductory kit comes with free gifts to help support your clean, healthy skin regime.

• Smart target: Patented technology helps to direct more of the medication into your pores. This means better overall coverage and faster treatment.

• Full range of products: Products can be purchased individually or as part of a kit. Extra products like the exfoliating brush can be added to any order.

• Anti-microbial: In addition to anti-bacterial ingredients, Proactiv has added an anti-microbial ingredient to better treat localized infections within and outside of the pores.

• Best for: Teenagers, young people, pregnant women, those receiving hormone treatment and adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs