1.36/5
  • 1 star
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 8, 2017

564 Proactiv Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The product itself was okay, but after five years of using it and trying their new lines, it did nothing to fix my acne problems. I tried to cancel three times, and on the third time, I told them 3640 to remove my account and debit card number. They claimed they did this, and four months later, I received another shipment and they charged my card, the one they claimed to have removed. I did not authorize the purchase and received no notification of it until the package arrived at my house. I complained to them for the second time, and they said I can return the item (at my expense) and they will refund the money. I have yet to receive confirmation of this, and I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one because I do not believe they will do as they said, since they lied to me the first time. And I received no explanation as to why they did it. I’m very disappointed in this company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

NOT EVEN WORTH A STAR! I don't even know how to describe how upset I am. They want me to pay for something I did not receive. I tried talking to them and they would not help me. I even have photos to prove it. I wish I can post it here. So I have monthly shipment and I have been using it for months. Nothing really has changed in my skin. I got a replacement card so obviously my payments would not go through. I ignored it and not changed the card because I did not want to receive anymore shipments. But they still sending me, so I paid for it to be fair.

Now, I received an invoice dated August 21, 2017 with the amount of 131.82. So again, I paid for it just so I wouldn't think about it, not knowing if I received it or not. I have too many problems and Proactiv should not be one of them. Then I keep receiving emails that I have to pay this past due invoice amounting 131.82. So I ignored it because obviously I am not receiving anything anymore for a long time and I just paid a check. And it's already November and still receiving it and said they will put my account on credit collections. So I looked up my account and see my order history. Even my account is already closed I should still see it, it's my right, but there is nothing on it. So I talked to them and tell them my problem. They explained to me that my last check was applied to my FEBRUARY package and they are asking for MAY package.

So I told them how would I even know I received that package if I haven't received it for a long time and I cannot see my order history. One of them said they could replace it but they cannot take out the invoice and they changed it to "look for the package if I am not sure if I received it" because she was advised to say it. Okay, how can I look for a package that I haven't received in a long time? That was stupid, I just said okay because I am already upset. So I breathe and called again and make them understand my point.

First: why are they keep sending me packages I have not paid and my card is not on file. Second: why did they sent a package if I already have a balance from previous package. Third: The invoice I paid is dated August so it should reflect both past balances. The last invoice should have two 131.82 with total of 263. 64. They told me they are giving separate invoices for different packages. I mean, who does that? People who tried to get money from people that's for sure. So my mom advised me to just pay for it so I wouldn't have record. I feel cheated, it is so unfair. I am paying for something I did not receive or not even my fault because I am scared to have record. DO NOT BE LIKE ME. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I actually love this product. Getting acne for the first time as a 50-year-old has been a battle that has caused much stress and frustration, and this product helped me within the first two weeks. I have been completely acne-free for a few months now. However, knowing which of the products I want to continue to use (not all of them are effective for me), I tried to place a customized order first online and then via phone. When I tried to order online, it wouldn't allow me to because I was not a member. I called the toll free number to order. I had received a Proactiv catalog from which I was ordering and the catalog advertised "free shipping with any $40 catalog order."

When placing my order with the customer service rep, I was told I would be paying the $9 plus for shipping and handling. I complained and was told sorry. I then asked to speak with a supervisor. I waited on hold for a few minutes before being connected to one. At first, I was told no again, that only members were given free shipping. I pointed out that nowhere in the catalog does it specify the free shipping was for members only, and that there were two separate codes given, one for members and one for the regular price.

I was then told that that may be from Proactiv but they are a third-party vendor who does not honor the catalog. But when I asked if one could order directly from Proactiv, she said no. Wait, what? Do they not see the problem here? Finally, she agreed to credit the shipping for my order, which I thanked her for and must give them credit. I only hope now that I don't start getting repeat shipments as many others report in their reviews. For such a highly-advertised, star-studded product, no one should have to fight to get what is right from this company. I'm torn between being thankful for what it has done for me and the experience I just had on the phone. And time will tell if I continue to receive orders I did not place.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had placed my first order back in March after seeing a deal in the weekly newspaper clipping for a Trial Size of the Proactiv kit for approx. $20. I looked at the discount deal and thought, "What the heck! With the 60-day money back guarantee, I have nothing to lose if I do not like the product." If I had realized what a scam this company is, boy, could I have saved myself from many headaches. But we're getting to that.

Later on, when I finally began using the products, I was not happy with the trial products, I just felt that they did absolutely nothing (except further exacerbate my acne due to my sensitive skin) and so I decided to quit using them upon noticing I was breaking out. Around the time I stopped using the product, another shipping came, this time for the 60-day regular sized kit priced around $60. I looked online and realized that the skincare kit was a monthly automatically shipped order.

I'll admit that I should have read the fine print better but still, I called up Proactiv to ask to cancel any future orders which they CLAIMED TO HAVE DONE and reassured me that I would not be receiving any more orders. They were gracious enough to send a return shipping label so I would not have to pay shipping and offered me a free package of the gentle (sensitive) skin care kit since I had reacted to the normal skin care kit. So I agreed since it would be provided at no extra cost to me. Honestly, I just hate having. I used the sensitive skin and guess what? It still broke me out and did nothing to my existing acne. So I called back to follow up and let them know that I didn't like the sensitive skincare line (since they consistently kept trying to sell me the line so that I would not leave as their customer. And that was that. Or so I thought.

Flash forward to end of Oct. and I get a credit statement that Proactiv has once again charged $22.14 onto my card. I call them to see what's up and they inform me that unlike what I had been told, that my account had NOT been cancelled and simply my orders had been pushed back 6 months (so that I would be still receiving shipments of the awful Proactiv). The lady works with me to provide me with a return shipping label so that I can ship the Proactiv package back (which I have yet to receive). She also promises that she cancelled my account so I ask for a way that I am able to confirm this (since we know how well that went last time!) and she hangs up on me (Thanks a lot CARRIE!)

She had taken down my number at the start of the conversation in the event that she loses the line so I wait about 10 minutes for her to call back. But she never does. So at this point, I'm pretty sure that it was no accident. So I have to call back three times before I finally get hooked up with customer service rep (they have a faulty and annoying automated robot pick up before transferring you.) I have to reiterate my entire situation before she is able to help me out. Finally, I ask if there is somewhere I can go to make a complaint about the order confusion or the awful customer service which she "checks" and says no. So here, I am, taking the matters into my own hand to make sure that I am able to get MY customer complaint out to the public.

Being a customer of Proactiv is a giant headache that is not at all worth it because it is apparent that they only want your money in the way that they try to shove all their products onto you when you just want to cancel your shipments. I left feeling CHEATED and SCAMMED. The worst part is I have to clean up THEIR mess and receive no compensation or free gift for having to go through this since I don't even want their products. Just take it from me... and stay FAR away from this brand. ZERO STARS!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have seen Proactiv advertised for years on Tv. I have a preteen boy with acne and have been trying over the counter products. One night I was watching TV and I saw an advertisement for a trial size Proactiv product for $9.99, plus shipping and handling. I proceeded to order it online and I think the order came out to $17.00. The trial size Proactiv arrived and I started using it on my son. Within a week or two, I walked out of my front door and saw a box at my feet, it said free gift inside. I proceeded to open it and realized I was opening a Proactiv box with big bottles of the Proactiv product, with a billing statement attached. The bill was for $79 which said they will bill me in two sessions. I panicked and called the Proactiv Company. I told them do not take money out of my account, it could screw me up. If I wanted more product I would have ordered it. They told me they would send me a shipping label, to send it back.

Then I called my bank and they told me they had already took money out for the product. I told the bank what happened, the bank put the money back into my account and stopped Proactiv from billing me more. The bank also told me that when I received the shipping label to take it to the post office and get a tracking number and bring it to the bank to back up what they just had done for me. The shipping label finally showed up, after I called Proactiv about 5 times. I sent the Proactiv product back, gave the bank the tracking number that the post office gave to me and I thought all was fixed.

A few weeks later I received a bill for $9.84, saying I owe Proactiv for shipping and handling, to pay for sending back a product I did not order. Now it is into collections, the agency is called North Shore Agency. I googled the Proactiv Product and found out that the Proactiv Company forces the product on people. Trial, means to try a product out, then if you like it, you order more. I also read in reviews that it goes on to your credit report. I want to fight this mess. Proactiv should be ashamed of themselves. Read about it! It has not only happened to me. I guess the product is not that good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Proactiv?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I ordered Proactiv online on September 24th, 2017 and received an order confirmation email right away. Then a couple of days passed and I wondered why I hadn't received an email with shipping details/estimate. I decided to call the Proactiv customer service number (provided on their website) to ask when my order would ship, and they ended up telling me they don't have the product in stock. I asked why that wasn't stated on the website and how I didn't receive an email informing me that it would be back ordered, not only did they not have a reason, but they also didn't know when they would have Proactiv in stock. They apologized and hung up the phone on me. I thought that was very rude so I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor - the supervisor was worse and also hung up on me.

At that point, I just wanted my money back, so I called and told them to cancel my order and they said they already cancelled my account... They canceled my account without asking me if I wanted to cancel it. Since then I've been asking for a refund and they keep saying I haven't been charged. The charge shows on my bank statement and I called my bank to make sure (3 times) and my bank said Proactiv has already taken the money out of my account. I called Proactiv again and asked to speak to a manager, the manager called me back and said he could do NOTHING. It is now September 30th and a total of 3 supervisors have hung up on me so far - I'm furious! This has been the worst online purchase and customer service I've ever experienced. They actually stole my money! I have now filed an investigation through my bank to get my money back from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Please never use this company. It is a big SCAM. I have ordered once from them to try the product. They have charged my card with another order not even sending an email that they will send another parcel. I have contacted customer service and I’ve said that I do not want any future products from them. The girl on the phone said that it will be the last one and if I decide to keep good, if not to return paying for the return, but she never told me that in the future they will attempt again and again to charge my card. Luckily I have contacted my bank and I been explained that it a fraud to take the money without my authorization and I asked for the card to be cancelled. Now I keep receiving the emails to pay the outstanding balance. I’ve got in touch again with customer services and they refused to accept me to return the parcel and advised to pay. I said clear that I will not make any future payment for anything that I never wanted again and I never ordered.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

At 51 yrs old I would have thought I would be done with acne, but unfortunately that's not the case. I tried every over the counter product out there, and even saw a dermatologist seeking help. Nothing worked. Then I tried Proactiv. It not only worked for my adult acne, but my husband who suffers from rosacea started using it and it has helped him as well. I like that I am able to order as I need it, and not have it shipped every 30 days. I also like being able to select what items I want to order each time, and not having to receive items we may not use. I highly recommend to anyone suffering from acne or rosacea.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had made the mistake of ordering Proactiv online last August. I liked the product well enough. It's the billing and customer service scams they pull that are unbelievable. I received an email 5 days ago telling me that I was being sent to collections for a January 2017 shipment. I called CS and was told that the funds that came out of my account in January were for the October order and that was how the plan worked. That they sent you the product, then billed you 90 days later. I told the woman that was insane. No company could make money shipping products and billing 90 days later. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she claimed she was. I asked for someone above her. Was told I would be called back. That didn't happen. Shocker.

Now, here's where it gets good. I call back two days later. Speak to CS Rep, who then gets flustered explaining what has happened after she agreed with me about the shipping policy. And not billing 90 days later. I was quickly put on hold. And another gentleman was put on. We went back and forth regarding payment. I requested a copy of my account details. After checking all of my account. A 90 day order placed on 8/3/16 was billed to me on 9/15/16. On 10/13/16 is a single item purchase. Then, they claim they sent me another shipment (90 days worth) on 10/25/16. This what they are claiming my January payment went to. I have never received any type of mail or email regarding this until the collection email.

After January the shipments are close to on time. And billed on or the next day. They have had my CC on fill the entire time. So where this missing "payment" came from is a mystery. In addition to all of this. The first CS woman chastised me for changing my cc number in January. I told her bluntly it was my account and I could change what card I paid with anytime I liked. I requested to have my account canceled but have been since made aware that you have to specify that you want you credit card canceled. I did receive a cancellation email, which I did get. I hope that Proactiv was recording my call. Because I know I was. I am keeping every bit of correspondence. And I have every intention of pursuing this further if this harassment continues.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Proactiv kit was mailed to my house. I never ordered this. The following month another box of Proactiv was sent to my house and my credit card was charged $180.00. I called Proactiv and they told me I signed up online. This never happened. I would never order Proactiv. They told me maybe someone used my credit card. I am the only person living in my house and if someone else got my credit card they would have had it shipped to another address. Somehow Proactiv got my credit card and automatically signed me up for an automatic shipment every month. When I called Proactiv, they would not credit me the money that they charged me. I told them the 2 boxes were never opened and I will send them back and I want to be refunded. They refused to refund me! This is ridiculous, this company scammed me.

Original review: June 28, 2017

After seeing many commercials and pictures of people's Before and after photos after using this product I understand it may work for some people but it failed me. I was just a teen saving up my baby sitting money to buy this Proactiv 3 step system 10 years ago!! And was very excited when it became available in malls I had to buy it! BIG MISTAKE though and looking back at my old photos, I don't understand why I needed it. I had beautiful skin that I would admire. Now if I could just turn back time. I thought I needed Proactiv to clear up small pimples on my forehead and would help me manage future breakouts. Boy was I wrong and I shouldn't have gone one whole month with this product.

After two weeks following directions on this product I was breaking out like crazy all over and this product tells you that you should not stop using it and that it draws out the bacteria in your pores. Don't give up and give it a chance to work or have your money back. My acne eventually turned black and clearly infections happened and then now I'm scarred. My face will never be the same, I lost my self esteem, friends... Plus I dropped out of school because I was ashamed and embarrassed of how my skin looked. That's how much it took a toll on me sadly. Proactiv now has me believe that every product out there is just a scam for money. Thanks Proactiv you got me good, I forever hate my skin and avoid going out in public to this day (not to mention it took me years to accept that my face was always going to be like this). I hope this helps other people. Buyers beware of what you are putting on your skin.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Please Read their terms before buying this. Whatever you understand and the choices they give you when you are choosing you think is super good deal. What they don't tell you is when you click to buy and accept the terms they will be charging you 3 or 4 times of what you thought they will charge you. They tell you, "You can cancel anytime", I call they cancel and never said nothing about it until I saw money coming from my account. I call again they I told I didn't read the term in which that why I'm here writing and paying a lot for what I thought it was something different. Just read.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I ordered Proactiv couple of months ago based on a friend's suggestion, when I googled the reviews, I saw that a lot of people talked about the automatic renewing system and the bad reaction from the company towards that. Unfortunately I thought that I am "smarter" and that I will make sure I don't agree on anything that states an automatic renewal. The product arrived, I didn't like it, I did not find it effective, but I thought it is okay... products are not the same on all skin types.

A month later I found on my bank statement a strange name (Guthy Renker) that took an amount of 35 pounds. When I googled it, I discovered that it is a marketing company that Proactiv deals with. I called Proactiv to ask, they said I can return the package to the address sent from or keep it and I will only pay (17pounds more) (or at least this is what I understood) - apparently the package was the 90 days kit (not the same one I ordered before). I asked my friend who use the product and said that she will pay for it if it's only 52 pounds!

The next month I discovered that they took 30 pounds more and when I called them they clarified that the package worths 99 pounds or something like that, but they can do a discount for me!!! So basically they send you a product you didn't order and decide to take its price from you over three months!! Of course, I decided to return it, so I went to the post office and paid around 9 pounds to send it back!!! When they returned the money, they took 5 pounds off (for the first delivery). So basically I PAID 14 POUNDS FOR NOTHING!!! Never ever think about buying something from them, even if it was the magical product that will transform you to a princess!!

Original review: May 26, 2017

This company sent me product and debited my bank account without authorization. I did order a package from them 5 months ago (December 2016), received it, used it up, and have not re-ordered; however Proactive sent me another package in May 2017 and charged my bank account $32.94. I called to have the debit reversed and they said they would... AFTER I returned the merchandise - the merchandise that I did not order and the reversal on my bank account would be processed within two weeks. Two weeks? Ridiculous.

Original review: May 17, 2017

First off let me say that this is by far the worst company I have had to deal with, and that says a lot since Comcast is pretty horrific too. I ordered this to try out and ended up not being able to use it and wanted to cancel my account. That in itself is impossible. Only way is to call and I was put on hold forever. I also sent in a request form to cancel (no one got in touch w/ me). Finally they answer my call, to tell me that they already sent me my next shipment and charged my account. I was confused since I only ordered my first package less than 2 weeks ago. They refused to refund me until I returned the package that was supposedly shipped out. Never got it. I call back today because I am now seeing another charge of $87 and some change.

I am furious at this point because I've canceled my account and now they are using my card without me authorizing. She said that my account didn't show I canceled it and that I've received my other package. So now they said that I should see a credit back on my card in the next 3-5 business days. Great! Such ** that a worldwide company can do this to people. Their product sucks and they only profit because they have these so called celebrities advertising it. They need to learn customer service and hospitality. I will definitely let people know about their horrible service. And I pray I don't see another charge on my account because if I do I promise I will be up at the corporate office with a lawyer.

Original review: May 15, 2017

My daughter asked me to purchase Proactiv skin care bottle 2 years ago. She received one package and I thought that was it. Few months later, she received another package. I thought it was a mistake. Then another package arrived later. I emailed and called them so many times. They finally stopped sending package but I got bill instead. These people are out there to trick young women like my daughter buying and staying with their products. I looked them up on Better Business Bureau to file complaint but they are not listed. Wonder why?

Original review: May 11, 2017

I ordered an initial acne treatment kit for my 15-year-old son. After seeking advice from a dermatologist I called and attempted to cancel my order. A month later I received another kit and yet another charge to my credit card. I called and spoke with a customer service rep and was assured that further orders were cancelled. A month later I received a paper statement saying I owed more money. I paid it just to be done with these people. Now, a month later I received another kit of acne treatment. I called again to request a return label and cancel my account. I was informed by the company rep again that my account was placed on hold only. Now I am staring at a bill for 68.82 for a product I requested to be stopped. What do you have to do to get rid of these people?

Original review: May 6, 2017

I ordered a 1 month supply from Proactiv for my daughter. She likes it enough that I decided to continue the subscription, but since she doesn't finish the 1 month supply within the month, I chose 2 months delivery. I was not aware that Proactiv automatically sends a 3 month supply in next the shipment, cost almost $99, not a 1 month supply. Their reasoning is because the consumer will save almost $9 in shipping charges, compared to sending 1 month supply every time. I think it's a poor excuse. I am renewing for the same amount of products, if my daughter do not finish the product within the month, why would I order 3 months supply with every 2 months delivery. Ridiculous!!! Do not make sense. So now I have to mail the products back, the customer rep I spoke to was not friendly at all or compassionate. He even told me that I cut him off while he was trying to explain to me that I was saving in shipment by receiving a 3 month supply.

Original review: May 2, 2017

First of all, I read all the fine print. I totally understood the billing with Proactiv. My daughter was 13 and we used the product for about a year. It stopped helping her. I contacted Proactiv and we changed the product. It worked well for awhile and then stopped helping her. I called to cancel my account. Decided to take her to a doctor. Very nice person on the phone. She asked me if I wanted to pay my balance. I wanted too. Of course I was not exactly sure how much I owed. I paid over $40.00. And was told my account was closed.

Two weeks later I was charged again for another installment. I called. Found out my account had never been closed. They had closed another person that worked at the same place I did with only the first name being the same. I paid her account!!! After numerous emails (Some very rude) I was informed I had two accounts in two different names and two different address. Even to someone stupid that didn't make sense. I was glad to have it over and did not push the issue. Just checked my credit card account and once again I have been charged an installment payment. And I received a confirmation that my account had been closed. No, I have not received any other shipments. Now they have charged me around $65.00 for items that was never received. Save yourself the trouble and take your children to the doctor instead. There will be another call to Proactiv. And one to my credit card company. DO NOT START THIS SERVICE!!!

Original review: April 19, 2017

When ordering Proactiv I bought for one month worth of product. While paying bills I noticed that Proactiv charged me again. I called to make sure that I canceled my order with them and request that they return my funds. They explained that they will once they receive the product back. Well here it is a month later and I see that Proactiv has again charged my account and to explained it they use my account again! The customer service is poor and refused to listen when trying to explain that I do not want their product again. Proactiv is trying to force people to buy their product and refuses to return their funds. I will make sure that no one in my family every use this product and I will share my experience with everyone that I know. Bad business!

Original review: April 5, 2017

First the website happily lets you add products but god forbid you want to remove anything (you can't). Their go to answer is the website is being worked on for the past 8 years really?! They began over billing us 73:82 which was strange as as bill shows no arrears? Hmm paid that stopped shipments only to find out now they say we owe $147.00 additional? Bad bad bad customer service and shysty business dealings!!

Original review: March 26, 2017

I bought Proactiv hoping it would help my poor 9 year old daughter. Her breakouts were bad. After a month of proper use, I called customer service for a refund. The woman on the other line recommended I wait until I receive the last package. I did so then called back and canceled and asked what address I should return the items. I returned and checked that it had been received and emailed again. They have not refunded and it's been over a month since return. They don't seem to hold their end of the bargain.

Original review: March 24, 2017

After reading all of these reviews, I am very happy I did not go through with my order process. Being a former customer rep, I understand how people on the other end would think that there would be some remedy to their problems. But the reps really cannot help you with much. They most likely know less about the product than you do. I don't think the title of an answering service should be 'customer representative', it should be 'company representative'. How can one possibly represent a customer when they can't even help them? In any case, my story is the same as most on here. On March 15th, I ordered for myself and my tween. I got a confirmation number, but still two days later, I never received a tracking number. I gave them a break because of the snow that we have been getting. But then it was two more days later and, you guessed it, nothing!

I proceeded to the website to find a 'company rep' number and called. What a surprise... Indian. This means I'm not calling the US despite the 800 number. What the hey, let's see where it takes me. Well, it took me to the knowledge that one of the items in my package was on backorder so my shipment was delayed (an email for this occurrence would have been nice, but who wants to work when you're at work?!). Then the rep continues to tell me that the company was taking it upon themselves to replace the backordered product with another product instead of letting me choose (I thought it would be nice of them to oblige me since nothing was my fault AND they failed to notify me about, oh... EVERYTHING!)

I couldn't even understand what this woman was saying as to the items that they were using to replace the item that was on backorder. I don't even think she knew what she was saying. I'm not trying to make fun of her accent, that's not my style, but I really don't think she knew what she was talking about. In any case, the whole conversation ended with I should receive... blah blah blah within the next 24-48 hours. And guess what? Blah blah blah and another phone call to a rep two days later. So here is the kicker! While I do have a confirmation number for my items, THEY NEVER PROCESSED MY ORDERS! I didn't care for what reason they never did this, I was happy it never happened. I had them just stop everything! No orders, no nothing. The time for lamenting had come to an end.

Anyway, I really didn't want to come on here and tell my seemingly repetitive story, I wanted to pay a HUGE THANK YOU to Simone of Kaleden, BC who recommended the Dove and St. Ives Apricot Scrub. OMG! My daughter and I have been using for only three days and we already see a dramatic difference in our skin. She's getting complimented at school and she's on top of the world! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! And, by the bucket load, THANK YOU, AGAIN!

Original review: March 13, 2017

I used the Proactiv 3 step process and the pore cleanser brush and within 3 days almost all of my acne was gone and not just my face. I have very sensitive skin and I'm allergic to a lot of things but this product cleared up the sweat acne on my legs, neck, face and buttock region and you just use a dab and you can feel the clean.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I tried to cancel my order last August 11 2016. The customer service person argued with me for quite a while about just suspending the product. I told her I DO NOT WANT ANYMORE. PERIOD. Then I see on my visa I get 3 more charges after the cancellation date and for product I DID NOT RECEIVE. 7 MONTHS later another package arrives. I phone customer service. It wasn't cancelled, she suspended the account without my authorization... And I bring up the charges after I had already cancelled my account. Their answer is because I didn't call to complain about charges within 60 days they won't give me a refund. EVEN THOUGH I NEVER GOT ANY PRODUCT. Sham company that outsources their calls to people you can barely understand, so you just give up trying to get what's yours. Oh and my son's face is a zillion times better without this crap!!! St. Ives apricot scrub and Dove soap. Looks like a different teenager.

Original review: March 3, 2017

I originally purchased this product for my teenaged son, but found myself using it as well. I loved the way the product cleaned my skin and helped with the acne associated with middle age. The difference it made on my son's skin was incredible. He had been embarrassed and held back from socializing until three months after starting this program. He was amazed to see his skin clear and stay that way! He has never had his acne return!

Original review: March 1, 2017

I cancelled my membership with Proactiv in 2016 and they sent a shipment 02/17/2017. When I called customer service, I again cancelled my membership and informed them that I did not want this product. I was billed $68.82 for the unwanted shipment. The lady told to ship the product back (it is unopened) and they would delete the balance owed. She then said I would have to open the package to get the address to ship it to, at my cost.

I then Googled Proactiv and found this site. Finding that Guthy-Renker is the parent company, I called their customer service at 1-888-651-6602 and reached a very nice professional woman named Nikki. After explaining the problem and providing the required information, Nikki very kindly informed me that it was their mistake. She then terminated the amount owed, told me not to ship the package back since it was their mistake. She told me it would take about 2 weeks for the whole process to complete and offered to send me a confirmation email within an hour. The hour has not yet expired, but I thought I would review my positive experience here. BTW, the appropriate return address for Proactiv is: 6 Commerce Way, Arden NC, 28704.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I cancelled my membership 9/2016. Both the skincare line and VitaClear. I have cancellation confirmation to prove this. Out of the blue today a box of vitamins arrive. VitaClear by Proactiv and they told me they weren't the same company. Hogwash! I asked them to credit my card and email me a return label. They couldn't email the label, will send standard mail. I recorded the conversation and disputed the transaction with my credit card company. Buyer beware!

Original review: Feb. 10, 2017

Being dissatisfied with Proactiv in April I canceled my account then in October they sent me more that I did not ask for and have charged me 68 for it. I returned the stuff and they have sent to me letters and today an email wanting money. It is ridiculous how they operate.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

Returned to Proactiv after a long time for my daughter after we stopped auto shipment as she didn't need the amount they insisted on sending regularly. Ordered new 90-day supply and was told shipping would be 3-4 business days. That was January 11th. As of today, the order was not received. I called to cancel and was told the shipment was in "warehouse status" and therefore could not be cancelled.

In addition they charged me twice already for $139 each time. I requested that they cancel shipment and immediately credit my credit card for both charges. I was informed that their system is so rigid that they can't stop the order from going out - even though it is MUCH LATER than promised - and they could not credit my cc until package is returned. They are sending return label for product - first telling me I would get full refund less shipping charges and I had to insist that this was their error as shipping so late that they need to pay shipping charges. Customer service supervisor - who I insisted get on the phone was nice but frustrated at having to repeatedly tell me they can't do anything as product in "warehouse status". I will never use this company again. They have set up a system that benefits the company but takes advantage of the customer.

Proactiv expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Proactiv is a household name when it comes to acne treatment. Launched in 1995, the company's popular products are the result of 10 years of research.

• Hydrating ingredient: The best kind of acne treatments can dry out your skin, which is why good skin hydration is important during treatment. Proactiv uses hyaluronic acid to put moisture back into your cleansed and treated skin.

• Money-back guarantee: The company promises to return your money if the product doesn't work for you. Just send the bottles back if you are not satisfied.

• Free products: Proactiv's introductory kit comes with free gifts to help support your clean, healthy skin regime.

• Smart target: Patented technology helps to direct more of the medication into your pores. This means better overall coverage and faster treatment.

• Full range of products: Products can be purchased individually or as part of a kit. Extra products like the exfoliating brush can be added to any order.

• Anti-microbial: In addition to anti-bacterial ingredients, Proactiv has added an anti-microbial ingredient to better treat localized infections within and outside of the pores.

• Best for: Teenagers, young people, pregnant women, those receiving hormone treatment and adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs