1.19/5
Based on 495 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: April 22, 2018

575 Proactiv Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought the product for my kid. It really irritated the skin so I decided to cancel. They bill monthly and then send the quarterly package. Trying to cancel is a nightmare. Customer “service” is nonexistent, probably because most of the calls are handled by companies overseas (I asked and they said they were in the Philippines). Their English skills are marginal and they primarily read from a script. When seeking help for a problem, the language skills are not there to really help so it is a waste of time. I requested a US representative, they said it will take 24 to 48 hours. This company’s practices should be investigated because I think they purposely disregard requests to cancel, and charge without authority.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I only used it 2 days in a row and my face started burning. Felt like my face was on fire. And now I have red spots all over my face and dry spots too. My face hurts so much. I have never had a reaction like this from any other kinds of face products. And it does say not to be in too much sun exposure but I work nights so that wasn't it at all. Beware people.

Get expert buying tips about Acne Treatment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I would never recommend using this company. You create an account and give them billing rights. Well... I have cancelled my account multiple times and surprise keep receiving product and bills. I have called again and again to have them returned and credited only to behold I can only return them if I PAY SHIPPING for THEIR mistake. This last time I was promised a shipping label to return. Was told it would arrive in 6-8 weeks. So today what do I get in the mail... a notice from them threatening collections. I cannot express enough. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I had an account profile, with my card payment info on file, but they do not bill to that. Why ask for it then? I kept getting an overdue invoice and would have to call to ask them to bill my card. So, I had to call to pay the bill. When I informed the gal that I had paid towards it, she said she did not see any payments on file. I had to go to my Chase account and I found the payment there as proof. In this day and age, it is unbelievable that Proactiv does not allow for your bill to be paid online and therefore to also show payments that have been made. They only accept payment by check, money order or over the phone.

You cannot change your next shipment to be delayed online, only by phone speaking to an agent. You cannot quit the recurring shipments online, only by phone. It is completely setup to get you into a recurring subscription that is a complete pain to change. I demanded that they close my account. Well now, I can no longer retrieve my order history online, but my account is still up and "My Next Shipment Date" is still showing and will not allow me to make changes to cancel it. I feel like this is Columbia House calling from 1984...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I used this product which to be fair was really good and cleared my skin. I stopped using this product about a year ago as I stopped receiving it. No idea why. Out of the blue I had a payment taken out in November and a payment taken out today! I moved address about a year ago and updated this on the website which states delivery address. Still not received the product.

Called them today and they have advised they cannot refund me for November’s even though I did not receive it. I said I would like to speak to a manager and their response was it will take up to 10 days for a call back of a manager! Which, being an industry staff member myself is not very good customer service. I am appalled that when I changed the delivery address that the delivery address in fact did not change! The csr advised that I ‘should have called’ which it does not state this on the website! Which is their error, not mine! I will update my review in around 10 days when I get a call back from a manager.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Proactiv?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I was disappointed with the product because it didn't work, but most of all disappointed with their customer service and advertising. The advertising is extremely misleading, because when you place your first order they don't tell you that you're locked into a 3 month contract for £75. When you try and cancel the contract customer services are unfriendly and unhelpful, even if you want to return the product because it doesn't work. The company is totally misleading. DON'T TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A BARGE POLE, YOU'LL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Proactiv has confirmed they have received my returned items, but REFUSE to issue a refund. Told me it would take 12 weeks to process the refund... no refund yet. Call to see what the status is... I am told that they received the return after the 60 days, even though I sent it before. And they will NOT give me the money back, THEY CONFIRM THEY HAVE THEIR PRODUCTS!!! Operator said she didn't know why I was told 12 weeks, because that would have they only guarantee up to 60 and I needed to call sooner. Again... They have their products and kept my money. $131!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Proactiv claims you can pay just $19 per month with a subscription but that is not true. After a few months they started sending me 3 months of product at a time and charging me $89 plus S/H. Of course 3 times $19 is only $57. When I contacted them to discuss this I finally had to cancel my subscription because they just wanted to argue with me. Proactiv makes deceptive claims for pricing on the site and then confuses the issue by saying the product you ordered was somehow different from the $19 offer. Of course there is no difference, both are 3 pcs and identical. They could have easily corrected the problem, but chose not to. Companies like this are unethical.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Called the 0800# as started using my new cleansers since the package change only to notice the cleansers product has also changed. Was told there is no change in the product. I've been using for 5 yrs and I know that it's changed. The call centre refused to acknowledge so I cancelled my order.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

We have not used Proactiv products for more than a decade. No purchases, no shipments, and no subscriptions. We don't even live at the same address or have any of the same credit cards as when we first sampled Proactiv. We received a Proactiv package today out of the blue. My wife telephoned the company to inquire why we received this random shipment with what appeared to be a $123 bill attached to it since no one in our house made such a purchase. The company said this was a third-party fraudulent purchase and would not refund our money even though the "fraudulent" money went to their company.

They recommended instead that we call our credit card company to report the fraudulent activity so that they could cancel my card and refund the money. That's right, a third-party hacker decided to get my credit card information and make a purchase from Proactiv so that Proactiv would get the reward for fraudulent activity and not the hacker. I'm not sure how dumb Proactiv thinks we are. This is straight up theft. Proactiv received payment from my credit card company and then made my credit card company cover the "fraudulent" purchase. Sounds like Proactiv figured out how to make some free money.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I've been using Proactiv since 2004. I started with their original formula and used it for about 4 years. I had minimal breakouts prior to using this product but like others, I wanted clearer skin and didn't want to have to deal with acne. The original formula worked and I stopped having breakouts. At the four year mark, aside from the kit's high cost, I figured my acne problems were long gone and decided to stop using Proactiv. BIG mistake. Not only did I started having breakouts again, this time they were painful cystic acne. The flare ups were so bad I didn't even want to leave the house. My family felt bad for me and were so concerned I was becoming a recluse. I then started to use the Proactiv original formula again but for some reason it lost its effectiveness. I continued to have painful breakouts... daily.

Luckily, (I thought at the time) Proactiv released the new Proactiv Plus line. I switched to Proactive Plus and after several weeks my acne, started to clear up. I thought, "WOW, there's hope". Cut to July 2017. I visited my dermatologist because I've noticed small bumps were starting to grow along my hairline and I also started developing brown spots. She said the bumps were clogged pores and that the brown spots were from sun damage. After mentioning to her that I've been using Proactiv Plus for several years now, she advised that I wean off of the product by using Proactiv's Gentle Formula line and gradually stop using it altogether. She told me that Proactiv Plus is very harsh on the skin which is why I had sun damage. Mind you, I don't sit and sunbathe. I avoid the sun like a plague - to the point that my GP prescribed me Vitamin D because I was deficient from not getting enough sunlight. So, why the sun damage???

I followed my dermatologist's instructions and once again switched, this time to the Gentle Formula - a month after switching, I started experiencing more breakouts throughout my face. I thought maybe my skin is going through withdrawals... That was in July and in September, I called Proactiv and spoke with someone in their Consumer department about trying Proactiv MD. Let's just say I started using it in September, and to this day, I've had nothing but really bad painful breakouts. Two days ago, I tried to go back to Proactiv Plus and now my face is red and itchy plus I have swelling around the eyes.

Since last night I decided to just wash my face with Dove soap and use moisturizer which I'm hoping will reduce the swelling and redness. I'm on a quest to find some relief because my face stings and itches as I'm typing this review. I'm very disenchanted that this product doesn't seem to be working for me anymore and my skin condition has worsened compared to when I initially started using it.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The product itself was okay, but after five years of using it and trying their new lines, it did nothing to fix my acne problems. I tried to cancel three times, and on the third time, I told them 3640 to remove my account and debit card number. They claimed they did this, and four months later, I received another shipment and they charged my card, the one they claimed to have removed. I did not authorize the purchase and received no notification of it until the package arrived at my house. I complained to them for the second time, and they said I can return the item (at my expense) and they will refund the money. I have yet to receive confirmation of this, and I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one because I do not believe they will do as they said, since they lied to me the first time. And I received no explanation as to why they did it. I’m very disappointed in this company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

NOT EVEN WORTH A STAR! I don't even know how to describe how upset I am. They want me to pay for something I did not receive. I tried talking to them and they would not help me. I even have photos to prove it. I wish I can post it here. So I have monthly shipment and I have been using it for months. Nothing really has changed in my skin. I got a replacement card so obviously my payments would not go through. I ignored it and not changed the card because I did not want to receive anymore shipments. But they still sending me, so I paid for it to be fair.

Now, I received an invoice dated August 21, 2017 with the amount of 131.82. So again, I paid for it just so I wouldn't think about it, not knowing if I received it or not. I have too many problems and Proactiv should not be one of them. Then I keep receiving emails that I have to pay this past due invoice amounting 131.82. So I ignored it because obviously I am not receiving anything anymore for a long time and I just paid a check. And it's already November and still receiving it and said they will put my account on credit collections. So I looked up my account and see my order history. Even my account is already closed I should still see it, it's my right, but there is nothing on it. So I talked to them and tell them my problem. They explained to me that my last check was applied to my FEBRUARY package and they are asking for MAY package.

So I told them how would I even know I received that package if I haven't received it for a long time and I cannot see my order history. One of them said they could replace it but they cannot take out the invoice and they changed it to "look for the package if I am not sure if I received it" because she was advised to say it. Okay, how can I look for a package that I haven't received in a long time? That was stupid, I just said okay because I am already upset. So I breathe and called again and make them understand my point.

First: why are they keep sending me packages I have not paid and my card is not on file. Second: why did they sent a package if I already have a balance from previous package. Third: The invoice I paid is dated August so it should reflect both past balances. The last invoice should have two 131.82 with total of 263. 64. They told me they are giving separate invoices for different packages. I mean, who does that? People who tried to get money from people that's for sure. So my mom advised me to just pay for it so I wouldn't have record. I feel cheated, it is so unfair. I am paying for something I did not receive or not even my fault because I am scared to have record. DO NOT BE LIKE ME. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I actually love this product. Getting acne for the first time as a 50-year-old has been a battle that has caused much stress and frustration, and this product helped me within the first two weeks. I have been completely acne-free for a few months now. However, knowing which of the products I want to continue to use (not all of them are effective for me), I tried to place a customized order first online and then via phone. When I tried to order online, it wouldn't allow me to because I was not a member. I called the toll free number to order. I had received a Proactiv catalog from which I was ordering and the catalog advertised "free shipping with any $40 catalog order."

When placing my order with the customer service rep, I was told I would be paying the $9 plus for shipping and handling. I complained and was told sorry. I then asked to speak with a supervisor. I waited on hold for a few minutes before being connected to one. At first, I was told no again, that only members were given free shipping. I pointed out that nowhere in the catalog does it specify the free shipping was for members only, and that there were two separate codes given, one for members and one for the regular price.

I was then told that that may be from Proactiv but they are a third-party vendor who does not honor the catalog. But when I asked if one could order directly from Proactiv, she said no. Wait, what? Do they not see the problem here? Finally, she agreed to credit the shipping for my order, which I thanked her for and must give them credit. I only hope now that I don't start getting repeat shipments as many others report in their reviews. For such a highly-advertised, star-studded product, no one should have to fight to get what is right from this company. I'm torn between being thankful for what it has done for me and the experience I just had on the phone. And time will tell if I continue to receive orders I did not place.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had placed my first order back in March after seeing a deal in the weekly newspaper clipping for a Trial Size of the Proactiv kit for approx. $20. I looked at the discount deal and thought, "What the heck! With the 60-day money back guarantee, I have nothing to lose if I do not like the product." If I had realized what a scam this company is, boy, could I have saved myself from many headaches. But we're getting to that.

Later on, when I finally began using the products, I was not happy with the trial products, I just felt that they did absolutely nothing (except further exacerbate my acne due to my sensitive skin) and so I decided to quit using them upon noticing I was breaking out. Around the time I stopped using the product, another shipping came, this time for the 60-day regular sized kit priced around $60. I looked online and realized that the skincare kit was a monthly automatically shipped order.

I'll admit that I should have read the fine print better but still, I called up Proactiv to ask to cancel any future orders which they CLAIMED TO HAVE DONE and reassured me that I would not be receiving any more orders. They were gracious enough to send a return shipping label so I would not have to pay shipping and offered me a free package of the gentle (sensitive) skin care kit since I had reacted to the normal skin care kit. So I agreed since it would be provided at no extra cost to me. Honestly, I just hate having. I used the sensitive skin and guess what? It still broke me out and did nothing to my existing acne. So I called back to follow up and let them know that I didn't like the sensitive skincare line (since they consistently kept trying to sell me the line so that I would not leave as their customer. And that was that. Or so I thought.

Flash forward to end of Oct. and I get a credit statement that Proactiv has once again charged $22.14 onto my card. I call them to see what's up and they inform me that unlike what I had been told, that my account had NOT been cancelled and simply my orders had been pushed back 6 months (so that I would be still receiving shipments of the awful Proactiv). The lady works with me to provide me with a return shipping label so that I can ship the Proactiv package back (which I have yet to receive). She also promises that she cancelled my account so I ask for a way that I am able to confirm this (since we know how well that went last time!) and she hangs up on me (Thanks a lot CARRIE!)

She had taken down my number at the start of the conversation in the event that she loses the line so I wait about 10 minutes for her to call back. But she never does. So at this point, I'm pretty sure that it was no accident. So I have to call back three times before I finally get hooked up with customer service rep (they have a faulty and annoying automated robot pick up before transferring you.) I have to reiterate my entire situation before she is able to help me out. Finally, I ask if there is somewhere I can go to make a complaint about the order confusion or the awful customer service which she "checks" and says no. So here, I am, taking the matters into my own hand to make sure that I am able to get MY customer complaint out to the public.

Being a customer of Proactiv is a giant headache that is not at all worth it because it is apparent that they only want your money in the way that they try to shove all their products onto you when you just want to cancel your shipments. I left feeling CHEATED and SCAMMED. The worst part is I have to clean up THEIR mess and receive no compensation or free gift for having to go through this since I don't even want their products. Just take it from me... and stay FAR away from this brand. ZERO STARS!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have seen Proactiv advertised for years on Tv. I have a preteen boy with acne and have been trying over the counter products. One night I was watching TV and I saw an advertisement for a trial size Proactiv product for $9.99, plus shipping and handling. I proceeded to order it online and I think the order came out to $17.00. The trial size Proactiv arrived and I started using it on my son. Within a week or two, I walked out of my front door and saw a box at my feet, it said free gift inside. I proceeded to open it and realized I was opening a Proactiv box with big bottles of the Proactiv product, with a billing statement attached. The bill was for $79 which said they will bill me in two sessions. I panicked and called the Proactiv Company. I told them do not take money out of my account, it could screw me up. If I wanted more product I would have ordered it. They told me they would send me a shipping label, to send it back.

Then I called my bank and they told me they had already took money out for the product. I told the bank what happened, the bank put the money back into my account and stopped Proactiv from billing me more. The bank also told me that when I received the shipping label to take it to the post office and get a tracking number and bring it to the bank to back up what they just had done for me. The shipping label finally showed up, after I called Proactiv about 5 times. I sent the Proactiv product back, gave the bank the tracking number that the post office gave to me and I thought all was fixed.

A few weeks later I received a bill for $9.84, saying I owe Proactiv for shipping and handling, to pay for sending back a product I did not order. Now it is into collections, the agency is called North Shore Agency. I googled the Proactiv Product and found out that the Proactiv Company forces the product on people. Trial, means to try a product out, then if you like it, you order more. I also read in reviews that it goes on to your credit report. I want to fight this mess. Proactiv should be ashamed of themselves. Read about it! It has not only happened to me. I guess the product is not that good.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I ordered Proactiv online on September 24th, 2017 and received an order confirmation email right away. Then a couple of days passed and I wondered why I hadn't received an email with shipping details/estimate. I decided to call the Proactiv customer service number (provided on their website) to ask when my order would ship, and they ended up telling me they don't have the product in stock. I asked why that wasn't stated on the website and how I didn't receive an email informing me that it would be back ordered, not only did they not have a reason, but they also didn't know when they would have Proactiv in stock. They apologized and hung up the phone on me. I thought that was very rude so I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor - the supervisor was worse and also hung up on me.

At that point, I just wanted my money back, so I called and told them to cancel my order and they said they already cancelled my account... They canceled my account without asking me if I wanted to cancel it. Since then I've been asking for a refund and they keep saying I haven't been charged. The charge shows on my bank statement and I called my bank to make sure (3 times) and my bank said Proactiv has already taken the money out of my account. I called Proactiv again and asked to speak to a manager, the manager called me back and said he could do NOTHING. It is now September 30th and a total of 3 supervisors have hung up on me so far - I'm furious! This has been the worst online purchase and customer service I've ever experienced. They actually stole my money! I have now filed an investigation through my bank to get my money back from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Please never use this company. It is a big SCAM. I have ordered once from them to try the product. They have charged my card with another order not even sending an email that they will send another parcel. I have contacted customer service and I’ve said that I do not want any future products from them. The girl on the phone said that it will be the last one and if I decide to keep good, if not to return paying for the return, but she never told me that in the future they will attempt again and again to charge my card. Luckily I have contacted my bank and I been explained that it a fraud to take the money without my authorization and I asked for the card to be cancelled. Now I keep receiving the emails to pay the outstanding balance. I’ve got in touch again with customer services and they refused to accept me to return the parcel and advised to pay. I said clear that I will not make any future payment for anything that I never wanted again and I never ordered.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

At 51 yrs old I would have thought I would be done with acne, but unfortunately that's not the case. I tried every over the counter product out there, and even saw a dermatologist seeking help. Nothing worked. Then I tried Proactiv. It not only worked for my adult acne, but my husband who suffers from rosacea started using it and it has helped him as well. I like that I am able to order as I need it, and not have it shipped every 30 days. I also like being able to select what items I want to order each time, and not having to receive items we may not use. I highly recommend to anyone suffering from acne or rosacea.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had made the mistake of ordering Proactiv online last August. I liked the product well enough. It's the billing and customer service scams they pull that are unbelievable. I received an email 5 days ago telling me that I was being sent to collections for a January 2017 shipment. I called CS and was told that the funds that came out of my account in January were for the October order and that was how the plan worked. That they sent you the product, then billed you 90 days later. I told the woman that was insane. No company could make money shipping products and billing 90 days later. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she claimed she was. I asked for someone above her. Was told I would be called back. That didn't happen. Shocker.

Now, here's where it gets good. I call back two days later. Speak to CS Rep, who then gets flustered explaining what has happened after she agreed with me about the shipping policy. And not billing 90 days later. I was quickly put on hold. And another gentleman was put on. We went back and forth regarding payment. I requested a copy of my account details. After checking all of my account. A 90 day order placed on 8/3/16 was billed to me on 9/15/16. On 10/13/16 is a single item purchase. Then, they claim they sent me another shipment (90 days worth) on 10/25/16. This what they are claiming my January payment went to. I have never received any type of mail or email regarding this until the collection email.

After January the shipments are close to on time. And billed on or the next day. They have had my CC on fill the entire time. So where this missing "payment" came from is a mystery. In addition to all of this. The first CS woman chastised me for changing my cc number in January. I told her bluntly it was my account and I could change what card I paid with anytime I liked. I requested to have my account canceled but have been since made aware that you have to specify that you want you credit card canceled. I did receive a cancellation email, which I did get. I hope that Proactiv was recording my call. Because I know I was. I am keeping every bit of correspondence. And I have every intention of pursuing this further if this harassment continues.

Original review: July 10, 2017

Proactiv kit was mailed to my house. I never ordered this. The following month another box of Proactiv was sent to my house and my credit card was charged $180.00. I called Proactiv and they told me I signed up online. This never happened. I would never order Proactiv. They told me maybe someone used my credit card. I am the only person living in my house and if someone else got my credit card they would have had it shipped to another address. Somehow Proactiv got my credit card and automatically signed me up for an automatic shipment every month. When I called Proactiv, they would not credit me the money that they charged me. I told them the 2 boxes were never opened and I will send them back and I want to be refunded. They refused to refund me! This is ridiculous, this company scammed me.

Original review: June 28, 2017

After seeing many commercials and pictures of people's Before and after photos after using this product I understand it may work for some people but it failed me. I was just a teen saving up my baby sitting money to buy this Proactiv 3 step system 10 years ago!! And was very excited when it became available in malls I had to buy it! BIG MISTAKE though and looking back at my old photos, I don't understand why I needed it. I had beautiful skin that I would admire. Now if I could just turn back time. I thought I needed Proactiv to clear up small pimples on my forehead and would help me manage future breakouts. Boy was I wrong and I shouldn't have gone one whole month with this product.

After two weeks following directions on this product I was breaking out like crazy all over and this product tells you that you should not stop using it and that it draws out the bacteria in your pores. Don't give up and give it a chance to work or have your money back. My acne eventually turned black and clearly infections happened and then now I'm scarred. My face will never be the same, I lost my self esteem, friends... Plus I dropped out of school because I was ashamed and embarrassed of how my skin looked. That's how much it took a toll on me sadly. Proactiv now has me believe that every product out there is just a scam for money. Thanks Proactiv you got me good, I forever hate my skin and avoid going out in public to this day (not to mention it took me years to accept that my face was always going to be like this). I hope this helps other people. Buyers beware of what you are putting on your skin.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Please Read their terms before buying this. Whatever you understand and the choices they give you when you are choosing you think is super good deal. What they don't tell you is when you click to buy and accept the terms they will be charging you 3 or 4 times of what you thought they will charge you. They tell you, "You can cancel anytime", I call they cancel and never said nothing about it until I saw money coming from my account. I call again they I told I didn't read the term in which that why I'm here writing and paying a lot for what I thought it was something different. Just read.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I ordered Proactiv couple of months ago based on a friend's suggestion, when I googled the reviews, I saw that a lot of people talked about the automatic renewing system and the bad reaction from the company towards that. Unfortunately I thought that I am "smarter" and that I will make sure I don't agree on anything that states an automatic renewal. The product arrived, I didn't like it, I did not find it effective, but I thought it is okay... products are not the same on all skin types.

A month later I found on my bank statement a strange name (Guthy Renker) that took an amount of 35 pounds. When I googled it, I discovered that it is a marketing company that Proactiv deals with. I called Proactiv to ask, they said I can return the package to the address sent from or keep it and I will only pay (17pounds more) (or at least this is what I understood) - apparently the package was the 90 days kit (not the same one I ordered before). I asked my friend who use the product and said that she will pay for it if it's only 52 pounds!

The next month I discovered that they took 30 pounds more and when I called them they clarified that the package worths 99 pounds or something like that, but they can do a discount for me!!! So basically they send you a product you didn't order and decide to take its price from you over three months!! Of course, I decided to return it, so I went to the post office and paid around 9 pounds to send it back!!! When they returned the money, they took 5 pounds off (for the first delivery). So basically I PAID 14 POUNDS FOR NOTHING!!! Never ever think about buying something from them, even if it was the magical product that will transform you to a princess!!

Original review: May 26, 2017

This company sent me product and debited my bank account without authorization. I did order a package from them 5 months ago (December 2016), received it, used it up, and have not re-ordered; however Proactive sent me another package in May 2017 and charged my bank account $32.94. I called to have the debit reversed and they said they would... AFTER I returned the merchandise - the merchandise that I did not order and the reversal on my bank account would be processed within two weeks. Two weeks? Ridiculous.

Original review: May 17, 2017

First off let me say that this is by far the worst company I have had to deal with, and that says a lot since Comcast is pretty horrific too. I ordered this to try out and ended up not being able to use it and wanted to cancel my account. That in itself is impossible. Only way is to call and I was put on hold forever. I also sent in a request form to cancel (no one got in touch w/ me). Finally they answer my call, to tell me that they already sent me my next shipment and charged my account. I was confused since I only ordered my first package less than 2 weeks ago. They refused to refund me until I returned the package that was supposedly shipped out. Never got it. I call back today because I am now seeing another charge of $87 and some change.

I am furious at this point because I've canceled my account and now they are using my card without me authorizing. She said that my account didn't show I canceled it and that I've received my other package. So now they said that I should see a credit back on my card in the next 3-5 business days. Great! Such ** that a worldwide company can do this to people. Their product sucks and they only profit because they have these so called celebrities advertising it. They need to learn customer service and hospitality. I will definitely let people know about their horrible service. And I pray I don't see another charge on my account because if I do I promise I will be up at the corporate office with a lawyer.

Original review: May 15, 2017

My daughter asked me to purchase Proactiv skin care bottle 2 years ago. She received one package and I thought that was it. Few months later, she received another package. I thought it was a mistake. Then another package arrived later. I emailed and called them so many times. They finally stopped sending package but I got bill instead. These people are out there to trick young women like my daughter buying and staying with their products. I looked them up on Better Business Bureau to file complaint but they are not listed. Wonder why?

Original review: May 11, 2017

I ordered an initial acne treatment kit for my 15-year-old son. After seeking advice from a dermatologist I called and attempted to cancel my order. A month later I received another kit and yet another charge to my credit card. I called and spoke with a customer service rep and was assured that further orders were cancelled. A month later I received a paper statement saying I owed more money. I paid it just to be done with these people. Now, a month later I received another kit of acne treatment. I called again to request a return label and cancel my account. I was informed by the company rep again that my account was placed on hold only. Now I am staring at a bill for 68.82 for a product I requested to be stopped. What do you have to do to get rid of these people?

Original review: May 6, 2017

I ordered a 1 month supply from Proactiv for my daughter. She likes it enough that I decided to continue the subscription, but since she doesn't finish the 1 month supply within the month, I chose 2 months delivery. I was not aware that Proactiv automatically sends a 3 month supply in next the shipment, cost almost $99, not a 1 month supply. Their reasoning is because the consumer will save almost $9 in shipping charges, compared to sending 1 month supply every time. I think it's a poor excuse. I am renewing for the same amount of products, if my daughter do not finish the product within the month, why would I order 3 months supply with every 2 months delivery. Ridiculous!!! Do not make sense. So now I have to mail the products back, the customer rep I spoke to was not friendly at all or compassionate. He even told me that I cut him off while he was trying to explain to me that I was saving in shipment by receiving a 3 month supply.

Original review: May 2, 2017

First of all, I read all the fine print. I totally understood the billing with Proactiv. My daughter was 13 and we used the product for about a year. It stopped helping her. I contacted Proactiv and we changed the product. It worked well for awhile and then stopped helping her. I called to cancel my account. Decided to take her to a doctor. Very nice person on the phone. She asked me if I wanted to pay my balance. I wanted too. Of course I was not exactly sure how much I owed. I paid over $40.00. And was told my account was closed.

Two weeks later I was charged again for another installment. I called. Found out my account had never been closed. They had closed another person that worked at the same place I did with only the first name being the same. I paid her account!!! After numerous emails (Some very rude) I was informed I had two accounts in two different names and two different address. Even to someone stupid that didn't make sense. I was glad to have it over and did not push the issue. Just checked my credit card account and once again I have been charged an installment payment. And I received a confirmation that my account had been closed. No, I have not received any other shipments. Now they have charged me around $65.00 for items that was never received. Save yourself the trouble and take your children to the doctor instead. There will be another call to Proactiv. And one to my credit card company. DO NOT START THIS SERVICE!!!

Proactiv expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Proactiv is a household name when it comes to acne treatment. Launched in 1995, the company's popular products are the result of 10 years of research.

• Hydrating ingredient: The best kind of acne treatments can dry out your skin, which is why good skin hydration is important during treatment. Proactiv uses hyaluronic acid to put moisture back into your cleansed and treated skin.

• Money-back guarantee: The company promises to return your money if the product doesn't work for you. Just send the bottles back if you are not satisfied.

• Free products: Proactiv's introductory kit comes with free gifts to help support your clean, healthy skin regime.

• Smart target: Patented technology helps to direct more of the medication into your pores. This means better overall coverage and faster treatment.

• Full range of products: Products can be purchased individually or as part of a kit. Extra products like the exfoliating brush can be added to any order.

• Anti-microbial: In addition to anti-bacterial ingredients, Proactiv has added an anti-microbial ingredient to better treat localized infections within and outside of the pores.

• Best for: Teenagers, young people, pregnant women, those receiving hormone treatment and adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs