2. Shopping
  3. Acne Treatment

1.2/5 (545 ratings)

About Proactiv

Proactiv Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Proactiv?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Proactiv?

Original review: March 11, 2021

I signed up for this for my teenage son under the autoship choice. He used it a little while and we determined the system was simply too complicated for him. So I decided to cancel the subscription. Easier said than done. I have chatted and emailed and spoken via phone and chatted again over the course of several months and it is now, today, I think, I hope, they said it was, anyway, finally cancelled. It shouldn't be that hard. I spent a lot of time listening to their spiel about how wonderful their product is, have you tried doing this or that, he just has to use it correctly, blah blah blah. Just freaking cancel when I ask you to. I finally threatened to report them to the BBB in the course of a never-ending chat, and then they finally complied with my request. I don't care if their product will save your soul, I will never buy from them again or recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

I signed up for this subscription, to only receive it one time. I received my 1st initial package and then waited weeks after my next one was expected to only find out after I had to contact them that it had been sent back to them. (They even charged me the shipping fee for it to be sent back.. But I got that back...So I asked for them to resend it and let me know when to expect it... Again never got anything, an email or the product so I had to reach out to them again to only find out it had been sent back AGAIN..... How hard it is to contact the person who is purchasing the product to let them know you guys are having issues. As both times I verified my address, email and phone number but has never been contacted. This is ridiculous. CANCELLED and won't buy again, will also tell anyone who asks about this product.

Get buying tips about Acne Treatment delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I ordered Proactiv on Dec 3 and within ten minutes found a better deal on it elsewhere; attempted to cancel my order (within 15 minutes) and was told "it had already been processed and could not be cancelled". Okay. Then it never showed up and no tracking number was provided, but I was charged. Since this was a time sensitive gift (Christmas), I ordered a second one anyway. Also did not show up, no tracking number provided. When I finally called on Dec 23, and waited 45 minutes to speak with someone, I finally got tracking numbers that indicated neither order was even processed until Dec 17 and not handed off to the USPS until December 23. So I ordered almost a month in advance, was told I couldn't cancel it immediately after ordering it (and was charged) and it wasn't even processed until weeks later.

Customer service was clearly out of country, which is fine, when you can hear the service person (it was too loud to do so) and when they aren't clearly reading from a sales script (he was). It was a hard sell, too, trying to get me to resubscribe, when all I wanted was 1) my tracking numbers and to know why it took so long and 2) to cancel with them forever and make sure they never charge me again for more items that they fail to process or send within a month.

I sued Proactiv as a younger woman and thought the product was good, but their business has really gone downhill and honestly it is not worth the hassle and mess created by their customer service and shipping. I would advise getting from anywhere else/not direct and if you can, avoid the company completely. If you have tons of extra time to track things down and patience for phone wait times and hard sell sales scripts, and can wait over a month for your products, and don't mind being "auto enrolled", then by all means do business with them. If not, stay far far away.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2020

The product works great but I don't recommend subscribing to their membership. You don't have to subscribe anymore because you can now purchase the kits and products at kiosks, Ulta, and even Amazon to name a few places. They claim it's cheaper when you have a membership but it's not and you end up actually paying more in the long run after shipping, handling, and tax fees. I had their "membership" and was out therefore I changed my ship date from 12/29 to 12/7. I received an email stating it was in process and I would receive my product shortly. I tried to track my package on 12/12 and it stated tracking was unavailable, therefore, I reached out to their chat. I was told that all of a sudden there were delays and my order was in the process of being processed.

I tried to cancel my order and was told that since my order was in process of being processed they can't cancel the order or refund me. So it will take 2 or 3 days for my order to process and then another 10 to 14 business days for me to receive a shipment. They told me once I receive my shipment if I want to return it I can return it less shipping and handling.

After several requests they cancelled my membership but yet I still have to pay for the last shipment that hasn't even been sent or processed yet. I can't log in any longer to my account because my membership is now cancelled so I can't even track this shipment. If I refuse the shipment I pay for shipping and handling even though I don't want it (around $15 each monthly shipping) and I have to wait for 3.5 to 4 weeks for my shipment to even arrive. Now I'm doing what should have been done originally, I am driving 5 minutes to pick up my Proactiv. End result, their membership is a joke and you end up paying more. They lie about their prices to rope you in and fraudulently charge you when they shouldn't. Their product works, but you are better off buying from a store.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

You might as well spend the 80$ in store for it. THEY ARE NOT CLEAR in what you are actually paying and what is going on. They never told me I would be making 3 separate payments for the 90 day treatment even though I said I just wanted to try it. Never signed up for the subscription. They told me I’d be charged 39$ but ended up charging me 50$. Not impressed with their service at all.

Original review: May 20, 2020

BUYER BEWARE!! I ordered my son the ONE TIME ONLY Teen kit to try on his severe acne. I made trike sure it was NOT the subscription plan. I get an email this a.m. stating my next subscription was about to ship! Uh, what!?!? I immediately got into a chat and spoke with “Anthony **” and he said it WAS a subscription! I told him no way did I sign up for monthly product, & he said I did. There is something VERY wrong in Proactiv land! I feel this is a scam on their part! He tried to get me to keep it, as well! Dude! NO! I bought it to TRY, not to get ripped off! I screenshot our entire convo just in case the magical cancellation email doesn’t arrive. Also? I see I am not the only person that has had this happen, which furthers my suspicion that it is a scam!

Original review: April 27, 2020

I called to buy my niece and nephew presents. I was told to place 2 separate orders online. I signed back on and saw that I was charged $59.96 not $39.98. And that I had a balance of $35.42 for each!! I was clear I only wanted to supply them with 1 month as a trial. Now I am stuck paying a whopping $130 instead of the $19.99 each.

Original review: April 22, 2020

Product is okay. Product is okay, I won’t pretend like it didn’t clear up my acne at first but I do still have acne on the regular... but ordering from them is a rip off. They charge my card twice a month every month and claim I owe them 54$ for a month they charged my Discover card AND my bank account. I’ve emailed them about it several times with no response. I chose to email because I have printed my bank and card statements. I was a prepared to scan the document and attach to my email for proof. Months later they still won’t respond and still claim I owe them. You are better off buying this product flat out at the beauty supply store such as Ulta. At least then you won’t pay 6$ in shipping and be charged twice a month. They actually had the gall to claim I owe them $110 after my account was canceled. The product is not at all worth the financial risk.

Original review: April 19, 2020

Proactiv is a company I will never trust again. I ordered Proactiv 1 time on July 25th 2019 and made sure to not check recurring payments as it was just something I wanted to try. I was then charged $54.48 on August 19th 2019, they admitted this was their fault, they would remove me from all reoccurring payments and refunded me on August 27th. Then again completely unsolicited charged me $54.48 on March 9, 2020. I called once again and they apologized, refunding me and saying that it was marked not to have me as a customer anymore and they don’t know why I was charged again.

Then again, on April 6th I was charged AGAIN!!! I called Proactiv again and I’ve finally reached the point of frustration and they said my account was noted saying that I would get a refund and marked off of any payments but a supervisor saw it and said No, that I have to pay!!!! Finally realizing Proactiv can’t be trusted I got my credit card company involved as this is now credit card FRAUD that is happening. My credit card company agreed. Now I am getting mail sent to my house saying I owe them $87.88 NOW. THIS IS A HORRIBLE COMPANY THAT IS OPERATING FRAUD. DO NOT TRUST THEM!!

Original review: March 22, 2020

So, I thought I was doing my teenage son a favor and a good thing by looking into getting this for him. Like so many other disappointed people, I guess I put way too much stock in the advertising and did not bother to check first. First of all, this stuff doesn't work. And when you realize it is not working as advertised, good luck getting any resolution with them.

Second, and the more painful part, now they got you. You are on a subscription that is going to keep making you pay until you change your bank account and remove their ability to charge you. You can call and cancel (I have twice already), but they still keep billing you every month their fee. When you cancel, apparently all that does is make sure they do not send you any more of their product, but canceling does not stop them from continuing to bill you monthly. There is no resolution to this for me until I finally had to cancel my bank account and change my number - and then, you are pleasantly surprised with a hit on your credit because you now have a collections account on your record.

Proactiv author review by ConsumerAffairs

Proactiv is a household name when it comes to acne treatment. Launched in 1995, the company's popular products are the result of 10 years of research.

• Hydrating ingredient: The best kind of acne treatments can dry out your skin, which is why good skin hydration is important during treatment. Proactiv uses hyaluronic acid to put moisture back into your cleansed and treated skin.

• Money-back guarantee: The company promises to return your money if the product doesn't work for you. Just send the bottles back if you are not satisfied.

• Free products: Proactiv's introductory kit comes with free gifts to help support your clean, healthy skin regime.

• Smart target: Patented technology helps to direct more of the medication into your pores. This means better overall coverage and faster treatment.

• Full range of products: Products can be purchased individually or as part of a kit. Extra products like the exfoliating brush can be added to any order.

• Anti-microbial: In addition to anti-bacterial ingredients, Proactiv has added an anti-microbial ingredient to better treat localized infections within and outside of the pores.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team