1.19/5
Based on 505 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

585 Proactiv Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

These company is a crook. Their products does not work, and very hard to cancel. After waiting for 20 mins on the phone and canceled, they continue to send bill without sending products. Repeating writing, and calling for them to stop sending bills has no effects on them. Month after month, they keep on sending bills without any products. Be aware believing those ad on TV. These people are crook.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

If I could, I would give these people a NEGATIVE zero. Poor customer service, poor satisfaction, rude and stupid agents... I could go on. But the real problem is, don't purchase this unless you want to end up in the ER because your face is falling off. You then agree to only pay like 30 or 50 bucks for the product... only to find that they end up (without permission) taking 200 dollars out of your account. So you call up to cancel it and the card was already canceled they took it anyways.

They give you a hard time, and won't take your card off. Or refund it... finally talk to someone else that kinda has a brain to claim that they will refund all of the 200 dollars back into your account only to find that they give you $39.00 back and literally tell you to ** off. If you have a brain, stay clear of these people and their mindless stupidity. Go to Walmart and buy Stridex, or maybe Clearasil something that actually keeps your face clear and doesn't EAT your skin. I should sue, but they aren't even worth it. Good day.

Get expert buying tips about Acne Treatment delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Proactiv has acknowledged they are aware that this charge was fraud yet continue to harass me and threaten collections. And really, this is the response I get to my message? Did Doris even READ my message??? Original Message: Comment = This charge (89.85) was determined to be fraudulent activity on my credit card. Please remove this charge from my name. Order #** Creditor Account #**. I just spoke with a technician at Proactiv who advised this was cancelled in April 2018 so I should not be getting bills or be sent to collections. Please stop collections procedures and remove this activity from my name. I have notified Proactiv on several occasions.

Response: "Dear Shannon, Thank you for contacting Proactiv® regarding account #**. If you feel that your charge card has been compromised, please contact your credit card company for further action. In addition, we encourage you to report this incident to our Suspicious Activity Department, to ensure that we have a comprehensive record of this matter. Our Suspicious Activity Department can be reached at 888-652-8904 from 8:00 am to Midnight EST 7 days a week. Shannon, if you need additional assistance, you may reach Customer Service at 800-235-6050. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Thank you, Doris."

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was a Proactiv customer for over 6 years, then found a cheaper product with a greater concentration of ** (Perrigo), cancelled my recurring order, then they send me an additional order and after I returned it unopened, then followed up multiple times with the rather dense third party billing company, and showed them the proof of delivery, they send me an e-mail saying, "You're good, we received the shipment and account is clear and closed." THEN... I started getting past due billings and threats for collections.

I think Proactiv has a pretty good product, but if you look closely into the ingredients you find little medicine and lots of fluff and fragrance, with fancy marketing and packaging. I'd rather use the Perrigo which is get 'er done medicine without the fancy poop. Anyway, companies like Proactiv sadly ultimately learn the hard way that you can fool some people some of the time but when you're all ate up on your accounting end and start hassling folks, well, it comes out like rain in review like this. : ) My advice - shop around - make sure those "results" aren't just in your mind.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

This is a product that works well for me. I have a subscription and although I believe it to be overpriced and I detest the packaging -- the bottles keep changing and breaking (getting cheaper and cheaper) -- I have used it. Recently they were out of what I ordered so they SUBSTITUTED WHAT I ORDERED FOR SOMETHING I DID NOT WANT, DID NOT ORDER, AND CANNOT USE AND THEY CHARGED ME FOR IT!!! Cancelling my subscription. I would buy the products if they were available at the drugstore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Proactiv?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018
Original review: July 15, 2018

I ordered a 30 day treatment for my teenage daughter, having seen the advert on TV. It was obvious that I was signing up for a recurring purchase. The 30 day treatment was quickly followed with a 90 one for which, I was billed 3 installments totalling £79. I wasn’t very happy as I thought I was only purchasing a month’s worth. I, however, paid off what I owed but made contact with CS requesting that my account be cancelled. The last payment went out in June and I thought that was it. On checking my account, I noticed that more money had been drawn from my account on Friday. I emailed CS and asked them to refund my money as my account was supposed to have been cancelled. They responded asking for further info in order to deal with my issue.

I sent the info requested and did not get any response. I came onto this site and noticed how much issues people were having cancelling their accounts and/or getting their money back. This morning I spoke to my bank requesting that all future payments be stopped and after having explained what the issues were, they said that they would not only stop further payments but would also request for my money back. I have just checked my account and the money has been returned. Just wanted to share as I think it may help. I won’t be using the Proactiv site again and I hope that they are aware that if they do send me any more products, I will not be accepting them and they will not be able to take any more money from my account.

Original review: June 25, 2018

Issues with Proactiv.com: 1. Didn’t understand that I was buying into a subscription. 2. Calls to cs are inefficient and tangential. Canceling subscriptions and returning products require two very lengthy conversations with cs who are not native English speakers and who speak slowly and deliberately. Reps painstakingly touch every single base whether apropos or not. No return address is available online. Contact with a rep is necessary. 3. Snake oil and cultish.

Original review: June 23, 2018

I don't have any negatives to report about Proactiv, except maybe the price is a little high. I have been a member since 2004 and God bless them! I hit the acne phase at 18. Dealt with it for 2 years and finally called Proactiv. First wash was so cleansing and it was working immediately. I was almost 100% clear within weeks. In 14 years I have been curious about a couple products. When I call to ask about a sample size to try they ALWAYS thank me for my years of being a customer and offer to send me a full size bottle of that product free of charge. I think that is so nice and appreciative. It's too bad it doesn't work great for everybody and some have bad interactions with the company representatives. If I have learned one thing in my life, you catch more bees with honey! Be nice and not crappy and entitled and things will work out for you! Thanks Proactiv!

Original review: June 15, 2018

I was a member of a class action lawsuit against Proactiv for which I was provided a merchandise certificate entitling me to $75 worth of merchandise. Proactiv not only billed me for the product they also continued to ship product after I had made numerous calls to stop shipping. I requested a call tag numerous times as I had requested they stop shipment in a timely manner. I was finally provided a call tag after which I returned the fraudulently shipped products. I retained proof of delivery and made several calls after I stared to receive letters from a collection agency. Proactiv stated they received the product but it was beyond the acceptable return date. The company shipped products after I cancelled the order and requested they credit the credit card used as I was entitled to the Class Action Lawsuit award.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I bought the product for my kid. It really irritated the skin so I decided to cancel. They bill monthly and then send the quarterly package. Trying to cancel is a nightmare. Customer “service” is nonexistent, probably because most of the calls are handled by companies overseas (I asked and they said they were in the Philippines). Their English skills are marginal and they primarily read from a script. When seeking help for a problem, the language skills are not there to really help so it is a waste of time. I requested a US representative, they said it will take 24 to 48 hours. This company’s practices should be investigated because I think they purposely disregard requests to cancel, and charge without authority.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I only used it 2 days in a row and my face started burning. Felt like my face was on fire. And now I have red spots all over my face and dry spots too. My face hurts so much. I have never had a reaction like this from any other kinds of face products. And it does say not to be in too much sun exposure but I work nights so that wasn't it at all. Beware people.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I would never recommend using this company. You create an account and give them billing rights. Well... I have cancelled my account multiple times and surprise keep receiving product and bills. I have called again and again to have them returned and credited only to behold I can only return them if I PAY SHIPPING for THEIR mistake. This last time I was promised a shipping label to return. Was told it would arrive in 6-8 weeks. So today what do I get in the mail... a notice from them threatening collections. I cannot express enough. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I had an account profile, with my card payment info on file, but they do not bill to that. Why ask for it then? I kept getting an overdue invoice and would have to call to ask them to bill my card. So, I had to call to pay the bill. When I informed the gal that I had paid towards it, she said she did not see any payments on file. I had to go to my Chase account and I found the payment there as proof. In this day and age, it is unbelievable that Proactiv does not allow for your bill to be paid online and therefore to also show payments that have been made. They only accept payment by check, money order or over the phone.

You cannot change your next shipment to be delayed online, only by phone speaking to an agent. You cannot quit the recurring shipments online, only by phone. It is completely setup to get you into a recurring subscription that is a complete pain to change. I demanded that they close my account. Well now, I can no longer retrieve my order history online, but my account is still up and "My Next Shipment Date" is still showing and will not allow me to make changes to cancel it. I feel like this is Columbia House calling from 1984...

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I used this product which to be fair was really good and cleared my skin. I stopped using this product about a year ago as I stopped receiving it. No idea why. Out of the blue I had a payment taken out in November and a payment taken out today! I moved address about a year ago and updated this on the website which states delivery address. Still not received the product.

Called them today and they have advised they cannot refund me for November’s even though I did not receive it. I said I would like to speak to a manager and their response was it will take up to 10 days for a call back of a manager! Which, being an industry staff member myself is not very good customer service. I am appalled that when I changed the delivery address that the delivery address in fact did not change! The csr advised that I ‘should have called’ which it does not state this on the website! Which is their error, not mine! I will update my review in around 10 days when I get a call back from a manager.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I was disappointed with the product because it didn't work, but most of all disappointed with their customer service and advertising. The advertising is extremely misleading, because when you place your first order they don't tell you that you're locked into a 3 month contract for £75. When you try and cancel the contract customer services are unfriendly and unhelpful, even if you want to return the product because it doesn't work. The company is totally misleading. DON'T TOUCH THIS COMPANY WITH A BARGE POLE, YOU'LL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Proactiv has confirmed they have received my returned items, but REFUSE to issue a refund. Told me it would take 12 weeks to process the refund... no refund yet. Call to see what the status is... I am told that they received the return after the 60 days, even though I sent it before. And they will NOT give me the money back, THEY CONFIRM THEY HAVE THEIR PRODUCTS!!! Operator said she didn't know why I was told 12 weeks, because that would have they only guarantee up to 60 and I needed to call sooner. Again... They have their products and kept my money. $131!!!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

Proactiv claims you can pay just $19 per month with a subscription but that is not true. After a few months they started sending me 3 months of product at a time and charging me $89 plus S/H. Of course 3 times $19 is only $57. When I contacted them to discuss this I finally had to cancel my subscription because they just wanted to argue with me. Proactiv makes deceptive claims for pricing on the site and then confuses the issue by saying the product you ordered was somehow different from the $19 offer. Of course there is no difference, both are 3 pcs and identical. They could have easily corrected the problem, but chose not to. Companies like this are unethical.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Called the 0800# as started using my new cleansers since the package change only to notice the cleansers product has also changed. Was told there is no change in the product. I've been using for 5 yrs and I know that it's changed. The call centre refused to acknowledge so I cancelled my order.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

We have not used Proactiv products for more than a decade. No purchases, no shipments, and no subscriptions. We don't even live at the same address or have any of the same credit cards as when we first sampled Proactiv. We received a Proactiv package today out of the blue. My wife telephoned the company to inquire why we received this random shipment with what appeared to be a $123 bill attached to it since no one in our house made such a purchase. The company said this was a third-party fraudulent purchase and would not refund our money even though the "fraudulent" money went to their company.

They recommended instead that we call our credit card company to report the fraudulent activity so that they could cancel my card and refund the money. That's right, a third-party hacker decided to get my credit card information and make a purchase from Proactiv so that Proactiv would get the reward for fraudulent activity and not the hacker. I'm not sure how dumb Proactiv thinks we are. This is straight up theft. Proactiv received payment from my credit card company and then made my credit card company cover the "fraudulent" purchase. Sounds like Proactiv figured out how to make some free money.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I've been using Proactiv since 2004. I started with their original formula and used it for about 4 years. I had minimal breakouts prior to using this product but like others, I wanted clearer skin and didn't want to have to deal with acne. The original formula worked and I stopped having breakouts. At the four year mark, aside from the kit's high cost, I figured my acne problems were long gone and decided to stop using Proactiv. BIG mistake. Not only did I started having breakouts again, this time they were painful cystic acne. The flare ups were so bad I didn't even want to leave the house. My family felt bad for me and were so concerned I was becoming a recluse. I then started to use the Proactiv original formula again but for some reason it lost its effectiveness. I continued to have painful breakouts... daily.

Luckily, (I thought at the time) Proactiv released the new Proactiv Plus line. I switched to Proactive Plus and after several weeks my acne, started to clear up. I thought, "WOW, there's hope". Cut to July 2017. I visited my dermatologist because I've noticed small bumps were starting to grow along my hairline and I also started developing brown spots. She said the bumps were clogged pores and that the brown spots were from sun damage. After mentioning to her that I've been using Proactiv Plus for several years now, she advised that I wean off of the product by using Proactiv's Gentle Formula line and gradually stop using it altogether. She told me that Proactiv Plus is very harsh on the skin which is why I had sun damage. Mind you, I don't sit and sunbathe. I avoid the sun like a plague - to the point that my GP prescribed me Vitamin D because I was deficient from not getting enough sunlight. So, why the sun damage???

I followed my dermatologist's instructions and once again switched, this time to the Gentle Formula - a month after switching, I started experiencing more breakouts throughout my face. I thought maybe my skin is going through withdrawals... That was in July and in September, I called Proactiv and spoke with someone in their Consumer department about trying Proactiv MD. Let's just say I started using it in September, and to this day, I've had nothing but really bad painful breakouts. Two days ago, I tried to go back to Proactiv Plus and now my face is red and itchy plus I have swelling around the eyes.

Since last night I decided to just wash my face with Dove soap and use moisturizer which I'm hoping will reduce the swelling and redness. I'm on a quest to find some relief because my face stings and itches as I'm typing this review. I'm very disenchanted that this product doesn't seem to be working for me anymore and my skin condition has worsened compared to when I initially started using it.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

The product itself was okay, but after five years of using it and trying their new lines, it did nothing to fix my acne problems. I tried to cancel three times, and on the third time, I told them 3640 to remove my account and debit card number. They claimed they did this, and four months later, I received another shipment and they charged my card, the one they claimed to have removed. I did not authorize the purchase and received no notification of it until the package arrived at my house. I complained to them for the second time, and they said I can return the item (at my expense) and they will refund the money. I have yet to receive confirmation of this, and I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one because I do not believe they will do as they said, since they lied to me the first time. And I received no explanation as to why they did it. I’m very disappointed in this company.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

NOT EVEN WORTH A STAR! I don't even know how to describe how upset I am. They want me to pay for something I did not receive. I tried talking to them and they would not help me. I even have photos to prove it. I wish I can post it here. So I have monthly shipment and I have been using it for months. Nothing really has changed in my skin. I got a replacement card so obviously my payments would not go through. I ignored it and not changed the card because I did not want to receive anymore shipments. But they still sending me, so I paid for it to be fair.

Now, I received an invoice dated August 21, 2017 with the amount of 131.82. So again, I paid for it just so I wouldn't think about it, not knowing if I received it or not. I have too many problems and Proactiv should not be one of them. Then I keep receiving emails that I have to pay this past due invoice amounting 131.82. So I ignored it because obviously I am not receiving anything anymore for a long time and I just paid a check. And it's already November and still receiving it and said they will put my account on credit collections. So I looked up my account and see my order history. Even my account is already closed I should still see it, it's my right, but there is nothing on it. So I talked to them and tell them my problem. They explained to me that my last check was applied to my FEBRUARY package and they are asking for MAY package.

So I told them how would I even know I received that package if I haven't received it for a long time and I cannot see my order history. One of them said they could replace it but they cannot take out the invoice and they changed it to "look for the package if I am not sure if I received it" because she was advised to say it. Okay, how can I look for a package that I haven't received in a long time? That was stupid, I just said okay because I am already upset. So I breathe and called again and make them understand my point.

First: why are they keep sending me packages I have not paid and my card is not on file. Second: why did they sent a package if I already have a balance from previous package. Third: The invoice I paid is dated August so it should reflect both past balances. The last invoice should have two 131.82 with total of 263. 64. They told me they are giving separate invoices for different packages. I mean, who does that? People who tried to get money from people that's for sure. So my mom advised me to just pay for it so I wouldn't have record. I feel cheated, it is so unfair. I am paying for something I did not receive or not even my fault because I am scared to have record. DO NOT BE LIKE ME. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I actually love this product. Getting acne for the first time as a 50-year-old has been a battle that has caused much stress and frustration, and this product helped me within the first two weeks. I have been completely acne-free for a few months now. However, knowing which of the products I want to continue to use (not all of them are effective for me), I tried to place a customized order first online and then via phone. When I tried to order online, it wouldn't allow me to because I was not a member. I called the toll free number to order. I had received a Proactiv catalog from which I was ordering and the catalog advertised "free shipping with any $40 catalog order."

When placing my order with the customer service rep, I was told I would be paying the $9 plus for shipping and handling. I complained and was told sorry. I then asked to speak with a supervisor. I waited on hold for a few minutes before being connected to one. At first, I was told no again, that only members were given free shipping. I pointed out that nowhere in the catalog does it specify the free shipping was for members only, and that there were two separate codes given, one for members and one for the regular price.

I was then told that that may be from Proactiv but they are a third-party vendor who does not honor the catalog. But when I asked if one could order directly from Proactiv, she said no. Wait, what? Do they not see the problem here? Finally, she agreed to credit the shipping for my order, which I thanked her for and must give them credit. I only hope now that I don't start getting repeat shipments as many others report in their reviews. For such a highly-advertised, star-studded product, no one should have to fight to get what is right from this company. I'm torn between being thankful for what it has done for me and the experience I just had on the phone. And time will tell if I continue to receive orders I did not place.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I had placed my first order back in March after seeing a deal in the weekly newspaper clipping for a Trial Size of the Proactiv kit for approx. $20. I looked at the discount deal and thought, "What the heck! With the 60-day money back guarantee, I have nothing to lose if I do not like the product." If I had realized what a scam this company is, boy, could I have saved myself from many headaches. But we're getting to that.

Later on, when I finally began using the products, I was not happy with the trial products, I just felt that they did absolutely nothing (except further exacerbate my acne due to my sensitive skin) and so I decided to quit using them upon noticing I was breaking out. Around the time I stopped using the product, another shipping came, this time for the 60-day regular sized kit priced around $60. I looked online and realized that the skincare kit was a monthly automatically shipped order.

I'll admit that I should have read the fine print better but still, I called up Proactiv to ask to cancel any future orders which they CLAIMED TO HAVE DONE and reassured me that I would not be receiving any more orders. They were gracious enough to send a return shipping label so I would not have to pay shipping and offered me a free package of the gentle (sensitive) skin care kit since I had reacted to the normal skin care kit. So I agreed since it would be provided at no extra cost to me. Honestly, I just hate having. I used the sensitive skin and guess what? It still broke me out and did nothing to my existing acne. So I called back to follow up and let them know that I didn't like the sensitive skincare line (since they consistently kept trying to sell me the line so that I would not leave as their customer. And that was that. Or so I thought.

Flash forward to end of Oct. and I get a credit statement that Proactiv has once again charged $22.14 onto my card. I call them to see what's up and they inform me that unlike what I had been told, that my account had NOT been cancelled and simply my orders had been pushed back 6 months (so that I would be still receiving shipments of the awful Proactiv). The lady works with me to provide me with a return shipping label so that I can ship the Proactiv package back (which I have yet to receive). She also promises that she cancelled my account so I ask for a way that I am able to confirm this (since we know how well that went last time!) and she hangs up on me (Thanks a lot CARRIE!)

She had taken down my number at the start of the conversation in the event that she loses the line so I wait about 10 minutes for her to call back. But she never does. So at this point, I'm pretty sure that it was no accident. So I have to call back three times before I finally get hooked up with customer service rep (they have a faulty and annoying automated robot pick up before transferring you.) I have to reiterate my entire situation before she is able to help me out. Finally, I ask if there is somewhere I can go to make a complaint about the order confusion or the awful customer service which she "checks" and says no. So here, I am, taking the matters into my own hand to make sure that I am able to get MY customer complaint out to the public.

Being a customer of Proactiv is a giant headache that is not at all worth it because it is apparent that they only want your money in the way that they try to shove all their products onto you when you just want to cancel your shipments. I left feeling CHEATED and SCAMMED. The worst part is I have to clean up THEIR mess and receive no compensation or free gift for having to go through this since I don't even want their products. Just take it from me... and stay FAR away from this brand. ZERO STARS!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I have seen Proactiv advertised for years on Tv. I have a preteen boy with acne and have been trying over the counter products. One night I was watching TV and I saw an advertisement for a trial size Proactiv product for $9.99, plus shipping and handling. I proceeded to order it online and I think the order came out to $17.00. The trial size Proactiv arrived and I started using it on my son. Within a week or two, I walked out of my front door and saw a box at my feet, it said free gift inside. I proceeded to open it and realized I was opening a Proactiv box with big bottles of the Proactiv product, with a billing statement attached. The bill was for $79 which said they will bill me in two sessions. I panicked and called the Proactiv Company. I told them do not take money out of my account, it could screw me up. If I wanted more product I would have ordered it. They told me they would send me a shipping label, to send it back.

Then I called my bank and they told me they had already took money out for the product. I told the bank what happened, the bank put the money back into my account and stopped Proactiv from billing me more. The bank also told me that when I received the shipping label to take it to the post office and get a tracking number and bring it to the bank to back up what they just had done for me. The shipping label finally showed up, after I called Proactiv about 5 times. I sent the Proactiv product back, gave the bank the tracking number that the post office gave to me and I thought all was fixed.

A few weeks later I received a bill for $9.84, saying I owe Proactiv for shipping and handling, to pay for sending back a product I did not order. Now it is into collections, the agency is called North Shore Agency. I googled the Proactiv Product and found out that the Proactiv Company forces the product on people. Trial, means to try a product out, then if you like it, you order more. I also read in reviews that it goes on to your credit report. I want to fight this mess. Proactiv should be ashamed of themselves. Read about it! It has not only happened to me. I guess the product is not that good.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I ordered Proactiv online on September 24th, 2017 and received an order confirmation email right away. Then a couple of days passed and I wondered why I hadn't received an email with shipping details/estimate. I decided to call the Proactiv customer service number (provided on their website) to ask when my order would ship, and they ended up telling me they don't have the product in stock. I asked why that wasn't stated on the website and how I didn't receive an email informing me that it would be back ordered, not only did they not have a reason, but they also didn't know when they would have Proactiv in stock. They apologized and hung up the phone on me. I thought that was very rude so I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor - the supervisor was worse and also hung up on me.

At that point, I just wanted my money back, so I called and told them to cancel my order and they said they already cancelled my account... They canceled my account without asking me if I wanted to cancel it. Since then I've been asking for a refund and they keep saying I haven't been charged. The charge shows on my bank statement and I called my bank to make sure (3 times) and my bank said Proactiv has already taken the money out of my account. I called Proactiv again and asked to speak to a manager, the manager called me back and said he could do NOTHING. It is now September 30th and a total of 3 supervisors have hung up on me so far - I'm furious! This has been the worst online purchase and customer service I've ever experienced. They actually stole my money! I have now filed an investigation through my bank to get my money back from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Please never use this company. It is a big SCAM. I have ordered once from them to try the product. They have charged my card with another order not even sending an email that they will send another parcel. I have contacted customer service and I’ve said that I do not want any future products from them. The girl on the phone said that it will be the last one and if I decide to keep good, if not to return paying for the return, but she never told me that in the future they will attempt again and again to charge my card. Luckily I have contacted my bank and I been explained that it a fraud to take the money without my authorization and I asked for the card to be cancelled. Now I keep receiving the emails to pay the outstanding balance. I’ve got in touch again with customer services and they refused to accept me to return the parcel and advised to pay. I said clear that I will not make any future payment for anything that I never wanted again and I never ordered.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

At 51 yrs old I would have thought I would be done with acne, but unfortunately that's not the case. I tried every over the counter product out there, and even saw a dermatologist seeking help. Nothing worked. Then I tried Proactiv. It not only worked for my adult acne, but my husband who suffers from rosacea started using it and it has helped him as well. I like that I am able to order as I need it, and not have it shipped every 30 days. I also like being able to select what items I want to order each time, and not having to receive items we may not use. I highly recommend to anyone suffering from acne or rosacea.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I had made the mistake of ordering Proactiv online last August. I liked the product well enough. It's the billing and customer service scams they pull that are unbelievable. I received an email 5 days ago telling me that I was being sent to collections for a January 2017 shipment. I called CS and was told that the funds that came out of my account in January were for the October order and that was how the plan worked. That they sent you the product, then billed you 90 days later. I told the woman that was insane. No company could make money shipping products and billing 90 days later. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she claimed she was. I asked for someone above her. Was told I would be called back. That didn't happen. Shocker.

Now, here's where it gets good. I call back two days later. Speak to CS Rep, who then gets flustered explaining what has happened after she agreed with me about the shipping policy. And not billing 90 days later. I was quickly put on hold. And another gentleman was put on. We went back and forth regarding payment. I requested a copy of my account details. After checking all of my account. A 90 day order placed on 8/3/16 was billed to me on 9/15/16. On 10/13/16 is a single item purchase. Then, they claim they sent me another shipment (90 days worth) on 10/25/16. This what they are claiming my January payment went to. I have never received any type of mail or email regarding this until the collection email.

After January the shipments are close to on time. And billed on or the next day. They have had my CC on fill the entire time. So where this missing "payment" came from is a mystery. In addition to all of this. The first CS woman chastised me for changing my cc number in January. I told her bluntly it was my account and I could change what card I paid with anytime I liked. I requested to have my account canceled but have been since made aware that you have to specify that you want you credit card canceled. I did receive a cancellation email, which I did get. I hope that Proactiv was recording my call. Because I know I was. I am keeping every bit of correspondence. And I have every intention of pursuing this further if this harassment continues.

Proactiv expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Proactiv is a household name when it comes to acne treatment. Launched in 1995, the company's popular products are the result of 10 years of research.

• Hydrating ingredient: The best kind of acne treatments can dry out your skin, which is why good skin hydration is important during treatment. Proactiv uses hyaluronic acid to put moisture back into your cleansed and treated skin.

• Money-back guarantee: The company promises to return your money if the product doesn't work for you. Just send the bottles back if you are not satisfied.

• Free products: Proactiv's introductory kit comes with free gifts to help support your clean, healthy skin regime.

• Smart target: Patented technology helps to direct more of the medication into your pores. This means better overall coverage and faster treatment.

• Full range of products: Products can be purchased individually or as part of a kit. Extra products like the exfoliating brush can be added to any order.

• Anti-microbial: In addition to anti-bacterial ingredients, Proactiv has added an anti-microbial ingredient to better treat localized infections within and outside of the pores.

• Best for: Teenagers, young people, pregnant women, those receiving hormone treatment and adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs