2. Shopping
  3. Makeup Brands

3.8/5 (330 ratings)

About Neutrogena

Neutrogena Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?

Original review: June 7, 2016

I started using Neutrogena day and night cream about 5 days ago. Was tingling, but I thought it was just working. Every time I used it, it got worse. I quit using on the 5th day because my face broke in red welts and seriously stinging.

Original review: June 5, 2016

I've been using the pore refining toner of Neutrogena for quite some time now and I must say, it works well on my skin. It is gentle - doesn't irritate my skin and it leaves my skin feeling fresh and not dry. I've tried different products before but most of them gave me redness or breakouts. The only thing is this kind is not available in Manila. I get my supply from Amazon in the US and let my relatives bring it to me when they visit here. I hope it becomes available here soon.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I have used Neutrogena facial bar a few years back, and I miss using it now. It's not a local brand, so it's a hard-to-find item, at least to where I usually shop. What I liked about it is how I walk out of the shower smelling good and feeling clean after using it, but the best thing is how it feels good on my skin. I'll buy one if I see one. :)

Original review: May 25, 2016

I had a horrible reaction after using Neutrogena's Grapefruit face wash. I woke up the next morning with a swollen face, VERY eyes swollen, the skin around my eyes felt like it was on fire and turned dark red and flaky. The rest of my face was covered in a bad rash (I've never seen anything like it... I DID take pictures, but I'm not ready to make them public since they look so bad). I ended up going to my regular doctor, then a dermatologist AND then an eye doctor. The whole ordeal cost me hundreds of dollars, a ton of my time, and it took weeks to clear up. It was so bad that I didn't want to leave my house. Please do NOT buy this product. And, important - if you experienced a similar reaction, write a post. People need to know! Also - be sure to take a photo... even if you never share it with anyone. I suspect a Class Action will happen at some point. And, if so, add me to the list!

Original review: May 23, 2016

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Redness Soothing Facial Cleanser, has given me a severe itchy red rash on my face, neck and chest and puffy eyes. This stuff should be taken off the market. Redness soothing, more like redness making. I am in pain from scratching like mad, not getting much sleep from scratching. Please people do not buy this. How many complaints does it take.

Original review: May 22, 2016

A cousin gave me a bottle of Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash saying I should try it and that it was better than the local product I'm using. I tried it for a few days and my skin became extremely dry and rubbery. Maybe it doesn't work well with Asian skin or our tropical weather. But I won't be using it again.

Original review: May 19, 2016

I have tried a number but not much Neutrogena products but with the very few that I have tried, so far they've met my expectations. I have tried their Pure and Free Baby Sunscreen, Neutrogena ultra sheer pure mild, and their body oil and by far, it has delivered the result that I was expecting for. But, the last time I was in the USA, boy I was glad that they have a 110 spf oil-free lotion sunscreen particularly for the face. I am a nature lover and am always out of town during weekends be it at the beach, mountain, falls, island hopping or simply on a road trip... you name it as long as there's nature. So, I'm always exposed to sun and I'm happy that there's a higher spf that would shield my skin.

With this product, it shields my skin 6 layers deep from skin aging. And from the various summer activities I've had this summer being exposed to the sun, my skin was protected. In fact, when I recently met my high school friends, they were surprised my skin didn't get tan at all considering the amount of time I spend in the sun. Overall, I'm happy with it and will continue to use and buy their sunscreen product and would try their other products as well.

Original review: April 29, 2016

Was using the Pink Grapefruit face wash for about 2 weeks. All of a sudden my face broke out in hives. I have a red rash all over my face and bumps everywhere. They will not go away. I'm not the type of person to get pimples or blemishes on my face. My face feels like it's on fire and it feels like someone is pouring alcohol on an open wound. Don't recommend this product to anyone.

Original review: April 22, 2016

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit - This product should definitely be taken off of shelves. I used the product and the next day I broke out in hives. It has been almost 3 months and these hives continue to come and go. I have used Benadryl and cortisone for temporary relief but looks like it's not going away unless I see a dermatologist. I thought it was all in my head but after reading numerous reviews all the symptoms are there. The burning face and red patches. I am disgusted with Neutrogena and will let everyone I know to stay away. Someone needs to be held accountable.

Original review: April 22, 2016

This product is beyond awful! I used it for two days straight this week, and on the third day, my face was terrible! I woke up with my eyes sore. Face was red, swollen, blotchy, and ITCHING! It honestly felt like a very severe sunburn at first! My face also felt so dry, it felt like it was going to crack! It literally felt like sandpaper to the touch! Nothing helped with the itching or burning, and even water caused more pain! Over the next two days, even after discontinuing use, the itching and burning moved down my neck and to my earlobes. Also, little, tiny blisters appeared on my cheeks, above my mouth and above my eyebrows! I read that you could use 1% Hydrocortisone cream, so that is what I have been relying on, along with Benadryl. PLEASE do not buy or use this product. It is beyond HARMFUL!!!

Original review: April 21, 2016

I have always used Neutrogena and this is the first for me using the grapefruit face wipes. I am HIGHLY DISSATISFIED. I have my high school graduation in 2 months and not only did these wipes irritate my skin it also gave me hives! I AM NEVER BUYING THIS PRODUCT AGAIN!!!

Original review: April 17, 2016

I have tried various different Neutrogena skin care products, from sunscreen to lotion, makeup removers to face washes. Every single Neutrogena product is HORRIBLE! The makeup remover made me break out with zits, the sunscreen CAUSED ME TO BURN more than usual, the lotion made me rash over and itchy, and the worst was the face wash, which made my face swell, break out in zits, turn red and rashy, itchy, and it felt like a bite.

Original review: April 9, 2016

SEVERE allergic reaction. Look and feel like burn victim or like someone with shingles on face. Burning described by others on post is accurate. Practically incapacitated. After reading other posts, I too, am appalled that there is no recall or lawsuits. I picked Neutrogena BECAUSE claim dermatologist recommended. Shame on you Neutrogena.

Original review: March 30, 2016

Well, I always thought that Neutrogena was a product that I could trust. I use their face wash and have even used their acne wash. This issue with my face, I believe, is from their product Neutrogena Rapid Clear stubborn acne daily leave-on mask. I only used it a few times, because suddenly I have been getting terrible acne. I have a rash on my neck, and my left eye was extremely irritated last night, and my face is irritated, itchy, dry, and burned. Luckily, I don't have an extreme burn. I have looked up treatment recommendations online and am treating my face with aloe vera.

I am now looking up the product reviews online, and seeing issues similar to mine, and some much worse because they continued to use the product even after they had the problems that I am experiencing. I always look at product reviews before purchasing anything. I didn't this time, because I trusted the brand. Boy, was I wrong. I took Benadryl last night and this morning, and it hasn't helped.

Original review: March 30, 2016

Fresh Foaming Cleanser - Used this face wash. Felt great the first night. Used the next two nights. After not quite a week I woke up with skin that felt like it was on fire, red, and quite swollen. By that evening, my face/jaw/neck were COVERED in tiny white hard bumps!!! It felt like a fever in my face. Been taking Benadryl. Coconut oil has helped. Feels like it will be at least a week before this is going anywhere. Very dissatisfied not to mention painful.

Original review: March 16, 2016

I am currently on holiday in Argentina and bought their Deep Clean gel as I ran out of my normal product and thought they had a reputable name. I have used it three times. After the first night I woke up and my eyes were all puffy but I didn't think to associate it. I used it twice more the next day and the morning after my eyes were all swollen and red, scaly and a disaster! I can't believe it of such a company. I shall be spreading the word to everyone I know, and after reading so many complaints online it's astounding they are still selling the products. Very disappointed and in much discomfort far away from home, I had to pay £50 for an appointment with the doctor here to get some treatment.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2016

I have used these wipes for at least a year and was always happy with them. But just last week when I used them I woke up in the night with my face on fire, red and raised places on my checks and forehead, and awful itching. I went to a dermatologist who did not suggest this could be the cause. She prescribed medication and when my face was better I unfortunately tried the wipes again and now I am right back where I started. Did something new get added to this product? This is awful and I will never use them again and highly recommend that no one else does either.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

Neutrogena Naturals Acne Cream Cleanser - I bought this at Walmart because it was on clearance for $1. I have used this cleanser one time and oh my gosh! My entire face/neck is stop sign red! It's swollen, very itchy and there are little white bumps all over my cheeks. My face is so hot you could probably cook an egg on it. I had to call off work today because I look and feel awful. This stuff is going in the garbage!! I have been putting aloe vera all over my face and also taking Benadryl. This was bad enough to make me never want to try any other Neutrogena product again.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2016

I purchased the Neutrogena Acne Treatment Kit for my 13-year-old son. After 2 days of using it as directed, his face burned, was bright red (like a bad sunburn), and was tight. He went to school hoping that it would get better after a couple of hours. Unfortunately, 14 hours later it is still painful, red, and tight. These are the symptoms noted by numerous other customers. I have used oatmeal packs to help take down the swelling and gave him Benadryl. Hoping it will get better. Neutrogena should be held accountable for a product that has harmed so many people.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne Spot Gel - I bought this product for my lovely 13 year old daughter to apply with a q-tip to just a few pimples. She followed directions, using it only for two days before she noticed it was drying her skin in those areas and beyond to the point of being flaky. We discontinued use immediately.

On the fourth day AFTER discontinuing use (yesterday), the treated areas started to turn very, very red and within a couple of hours those same areas became raised, severely inflamed and her entire face turned red like a severe sunburn with the "treated" areas of concentrated burn growing. We treated her face last night with just rinsing with cool water and then applying fresh cut aloe vera from a plant we have here at home. We also applied organic chamomile tea bags which we steeped and then let cool down all the way, followed by more fresh aloe vera. I also gave her Benadryl and sent her to bed.

This morning, it seemed to not be better, then throughout the day, it seemed to get worse. I had to be away from her for a few hours today and when I returned home it was worse. I took her to my friend tonight (as soon as I could reach her) who is a natural aesthetician and she made a coconut oil infusion and put it all over my daughter's face and let it sit for a few minutes before gently blotting off the "greasiness" portion of the coconut oil with a cool, soft wash cloth. This seemed to help and to start to calm her skin. We did the oil again tonight just before bed, again blotted with the cool cloth and sent her to bed with some Benadryl. I just checked on her (by the flashlight of my iPhone as she is asleep) and it does not look any worse, but it also does not look any better. I am praying that my sweet girl is better in the morning.

If it is worse in the morning (Being today is Super Bowl Sunday and all offices are closed) I will call for a dermatology referral and get her in right away. If this scars my child... watch out Neutrogena. I will come after you with a vengeance that will make you wish that you were dealing with the devil himself rather than this Mama bear. After reading the copious complaints, which are stunningly similar to ours, regarding various Neutrogena products, I am not sure how they still have products on shelves and how they can legally and morally sell them to the general public. I plan on letting everyone know our experience and will go after the company to reimburse us for any and all costs related to treating and remedying this situation.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

I wish I had googled this product before I used it. I also used for 2 days, woke up this morning my eyes were almost swollen shut, my face was on fire tight and dry/scaley with hundreds of tiny little itchy water bubbles all over my face, eyelids cheeks, forehead, upper lip you name it. This is a horrible company. I experienced something similar with their tanning spray a few years back. I had a full body rash the day I was in a wedding. I never knew what caused it until now. I emailed the company these products need to be off the shelves!!! Tell everyone you know!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2016

After using the face wash Friday and Saturday morning my eyes formed red blotches under them and became swollen while I was at work. My skin feels like plastic. It looks extremely sunburnt and is hot to the touch. Last night it became painful so I used some vaseline around my eyes and they feel a little better, but my skin is still crispy and bumpy. Usually I don't write any reviews... But after seeing all of the others I am disappointed in Neutrogena and Walgreens for keeping this product on the shelves.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2016

I have used many Neutrogena products in the past and I use their eye makeup remover every single day with no trouble. I accidentally left my Clean & Clear Morning Burst at my boyfriends over the weekend so I was just going to improvise with a product my roommate that was in the bathroom; Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne Treatment.

After using this product for only 3 days as a substitute I noticed my face looked sunburnt after my workout, then after my shower it did not go away and within the next hour I had tiny bumps all over my cheeks and chin and even neck; which then made those places extremely dry and flaky. I did not know what was causing this crazy breakout so I continued use for 2 more days before stopping use. Wearing face makeup is almost impossible. I am seeing my dermatologist soon just to see what she thinks and in the meantime, I am just staying moisturized with my Mary Kay face moisturizer. Sorry I don't have a cure to help anyone else out yet!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

I began using this face wash and after two days of using it I noticed my upper lip began to swell and little white bumps formed! The only way to get rid of them for me was to scrub my lip to the point of peeling off the skin, then putting hydrogen peroxide all over them allowing a scab to form then applying lots of Chapstick/Neosporin to my lip so that the scabs would then slowly fall away.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I usually love Neutrogena products. I've always had great success with their sunscreen and face washes. That was until I used their pink grapefruit body wash. I used it in the shower just on my legs because I'm prone to mild acne on my thighs. 20 min later I broke out in huge red hives all over my legs and butt. They were itchy and painful. So I put some cortisone on my legs and it seemed to help so I calmed down and went to sleep. The next morning my legs were even worse so I had to call out of work to go to the hospital, where I got on IV of steroids and a prescription for prednisone. 20 min after getting home the rash started up again so I took my prescription along with benadryl and fell asleep. I was so relieved when I woke up from my nap, my rash was almost gone. Don't waste your money on this product unless you want to miss work and go to the hospital.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I spent over a thousand dollars at the allergist to realize I was terribly allergic to the makeup wipes. My eyes swelled up and under my eyes filled with fluid and took weeks to go down, with benadryl and cortizone. Most recently I bought the pink grapefruit wash, and again my eyes swelled, my under eyes filled with fluid and I had tiny hives then they became dry, itchy and scaly. It wasn't until I googled the wash and I read complaints that I realized it was the damn wash. I have been walking around looking like hell. Benadryl and cortizone yet again. Terrible.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

I have only use this wash one night and the next morning my face was extremely itchy, very red, swollen, and with little white bumps all over. It looks very irritated. I haven't use any other thing so I'm sure this product cause this. And I only bought it because my face was more oily than normal and I didn't want acne to appear. I have had very mild acne before and have used products with salicylic before and never had a problem.

It's just really hard to believe that Neutrogena keeps selling their products and they let them. I have found so many exactly the same problems from people who used this. It's been 4 days and I'm still with the same problems and my face looks horrible. I'm going to a doctor today! If there is a lawsuit against this company, I'm in!!! It ruins your daily life since you can't sleep due to bad burning and itch, you have to schedule a doctor's appointment, pay a doctor, can't go to work, get horribly stress and worry, etc etc. Can a company that makes so much money selling products be honest and sell a descent product? Nobody should go through this... It's a nightmare..

Original review: Jan. 4, 2016

I spent New Years Day 2016 in the emergency room on IV's due to a severe allergic reaction to this product. My eyes were almost swollen shut as well as my face and I had a bright red rash with burning and itching. This product is not safe and I am going to get legal help for my damages and hospital/pharmacy bills. Terrible product!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2015

I purchased a bottle of Neutrogena Oil Free Pink Grapefruit Face Wash in good faith from what I thought was a trusted brand. There are NO warnings on the bottle saying that this wash is not suitable for sensitive skin. After two days of use I woke up with severe swelling to my face and in particular my eyes and my skin felt like it was on fire. Very itchy and sore. I took an antihistamine tablet but this did not help in bringing the swelling down although it gave temporary relief to the itching.

The second day the swelling had not gone down and what can only be described as 'alligator/lizard' skin appeared all over my face with tiny white pustules similar to whiteheads appearing all over my face. It itched like crazy and I was in tears. Not only was my skin dry, scaly and covered in white head blisters (NOT like acne!) but my face was swollen, red and terribly itchy. The second night I took a stronger antihistamine and covered my face in Epaderm Ointment (similar to E45 or Cetaphil Cream). The next morning the redness and swelling had gone down but my skin is still a scaly mess. I think it will just have to peel to get back to normal.

My recommendation to anybody who has had a similar reaction, drink plenty of water, keep taking antihistamine (Benadryl, etc) to help with the itching, wash with a very mild emollient face/body wash such as those mentioned above. AVOID putting any other creams/cosmetics other than paraffin based creams such as E45. At night use vaseline on the face to help with the dryness. Other than that you will just have to wait it out.

Unfortunately for me this happened over Christmas and Christmas day was ruined not only for me but for my family as well as I was in so much pain and so miserable. With so many reviews with similar symptoms it is unforgivable that this product is still on the market. I am too embarrassed to add images of my terrible face. I may once recovered show some before and after photos.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2015

I used this product at night and my skin felt good. The next day I used it and my face turned lobster red and was so tight and itchy. I thought it needed time to adjust to the new product. The following day my skin felt like sandpaper, was dry, cracking and peeling, super red, and terribly itchy down my jaw and neck. Today I am getting a bumpy rash around my ears and jaw, along with all the other issues. This stuff is terrible! Three times of use and I now have all these issues to fix. It's going in the trash!

Neutrogena Company Information