1.17/5
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

384 Neutrogena Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have been using Neutrogena for many years and up until this (Neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair cream) was satisfied. I don't know what changed but this one tore my face up. I tried it and my face got very red and peeled so I put it back and waited a good while and thought it had to be something else that caused the problem. So I tried it on half my face. I woke up in the middle of the night with my hands itching like crazy. In the morning the half of my face that was treated was red and swollen. Then my whole body started itching, especially my hands and my face swelled on both sides. I am still itching and intend going to a doctor to see if I can get something for that itching. I did call the company and they sent me about four dollars worth of coupons which I will never use.

Original review: May 23, 2018

This is what they sent to me after they emailed me to review their Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair Dark Spot Corrector that I had purchased: "It is the word "Disappointed, plus the two sentences following". It cannot be published to the website, but...our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time! Submit something new." Disappointed. I have been faithfully using it for three weeks for two dark spots on my face, and I have not seen any results at all. Not even a little bit.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 15, 2018

Was using facial wipes since last year from time to time as I do not use makeup very often. However, I developed a severe reaction, blotchy, burning skin on face, neck, and top torso of my body. My skin was dry, flaky, and literally falling off, I would leave powder skin everywhere. I have been to numerous doctors, have had lab work done, seen an allergist, dermatologist, and still am dealing with is skin issue. All I have now is medical bills that are piling up. And when I saw the pictures posted online of what people look like using this product, I realize it's also me! Someone needs to look into this company and fast before more people get disfigured using their products!

Original review: May 15, 2018

My husband Steve who has used this shave cream for years, purchased Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream NEW formula last fall... And immediately he got big RED blotchy hives all over his face, his neck... It was bad. He was in very bad pain. I contacted the company. This stuff should be outlawed. And if they test on animals... BEAGLES>>> I will dislike them even more. Investigate what companies use Dogs to test on. It is not Humane to do this. Companies that test on animals should be outlawed. If we got this reaction to their products... can you imagine the suffering that lab dogs go through...

Original review: May 9, 2018

I bought the two pack of Lavender Makeup remover Wipes and started having some rashes, swelling and itching issues with them. I had to stop using them. I tried them again two nights ago and woke up this morning with hives, rash and very swollen in my cheeks and around my eyes. It’s so bad I can’t go to work. I’m disappointed - I’ve used Neutrogena wipes before and never had this issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?

Original review: May 8, 2018

I used Great Value, or whatever it is. It starts with an E. I needed some more and quick. They usually came in a 2-pack and thought he cant figure this out... I sent my husband and showed him the package, told him EVERYTHING about it. Well, he takes off to Sam's and gets me a huge box of makeup wipes that I did NOT send him to get. I got Neutrogena Lavender Face Wipes. I was mad, until I used them. The makeup came right off, my face did not dry out. It left my face feeling soft after every use. My husband is my hero. Lol and Thanks to Neutrogena too.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I used the Neutrogena Pore Refiner daily scrub for the first time 6 days ago and woke up the following day with swollen eyes, cheeks, redness all over and severe generalized burning all over my face. I resorted to ** of course as I recognized the symptoms as a possible allergic reaction isolated to my face. Throughout this past week, my skin has become significantly dry, severe redness all over and I developed numerous small whiteheads beginning in my nasal fold extending down under my nose. Unable to wear makeup or find anything for topical relief I resorted to ice to numb my face.

This product MUST have these possible side effects listed on the tube... I researched possible side effects and it appears as though numerous others exact complaints/concerns have made it to this site. I have escalated my experience to Johnson and Johnson. This IS NOT a benign side effect profile - severe burning, redness, dry, flaky, cracking and swelling of face that does not resolve regardless of what I’ve tried. Consumers need to know this is being reported often. I would not like to see others ever have to go through this. Unreal 6 days of agitation, discomfort, even disfigurement and will be seeking medical attention as it is not dissipating.

Original review: April 17, 2018

Deep clean facial cleaner - The facial cleanser you all are selling to consumers are toxic poison! My face (along with hundreds of other consumers) looks terrible, after using this piece of ** product. I will never in my life, use any of your products, again in my life!

Original review: April 13, 2018

I started using Neutrogena® Pore Refining® Exfoliating Cleanser Face Wash last night and I today I woke up with this rash! My skin is super dry and itchy. This is the first time that I get a rash with a product. Never using this product again!

Original review: March 28, 2018

I started using the daytime/nighttime moisturizer along with the serum a week ago. My skin is red, temperature wise hot to touch and is cracked/dry all over the area that I used the products on. It is extremely painful and uncomfortable. I have never had any type of issues with other Neutrogena products in the past.

Original review: March 23, 2018

I ran out of my night time face cream that I usually used (which was Neutrogena) so I thought I would try something new. I purchased the Neutrogena triple age repair night cream but didn’t use it right away because I recently had filler injections into my frown line. I waited the 24 hours after having this done to put on any age cream as directed. I put the cream on before bed and noticed a sensation during the night just thinking it was the cream doing what it was supposed to be doing. I woke up the next morning to find that my forehead and eyes were swollen, red, and had bubbles in my forehead. First thing in the morning I went to my Dr. Not sure if it was the filler or the cream doing this to my face. They told me that if it was the filler I would have seen a reaction within 20 minutes of having it done. They asked me if I had used anything new that might break me out like that and the only thing I could think of was the face cream.

I was on steroids for 2 weeks (pills and cream). I had red blotches on my forehead that ended up being pussy. I still have a place on my forehead that has an indentation and worried that it will end up being a scar. My husband found that there were issues with this same product. People having the swollen, red and blotchy face that itched and had bumps. The reviews were answered by Neutrogena asking them to call this number they gave wanting to know about their concerns.

I called the number and the person asked me a lot of questions about when I purchased the product, the product number, how much I spent on it and a few other questions. After all this, they sent me a nice check to reimburse me the money I spent on it, a whole $15.00. (I got it at Walmart) I really feel like I was punched in the gut. They know this product has problems, from reviews since 2015. There is no warnings on this product or possible side effects. I’m very upset about this product. So now I am really worried about the product I put on my face and if this is going to leave permanent scarring. I have never felt anger against anything, but every time I look in the mirror I am pissed that they know something is wrong with this product but won’t put a possible reaction warning on it.

Original review: March 22, 2018

This year I turned 30 years old so I thought I’d give Neutrogena Ageless Intensives a try (anti-wrinkle/night moisturizer). The first night I applied it everything went well, but the second night I applied it my skin immediately started to burn after application. I thought maybe it would go away so I tried not to worry and left the bathroom. I had to go back in the bathroom cause it was getting worse and when I turned the light on in the bathroom I could see my face was red. Never in my life have I ever been allergic to anything, and I’ve used other Neutrogena products before, but didn’t have this issue. I’m highly dissatisfied with this product! Not only do I remember it being about 10-15 bucks but it burned the hell out of my skin and dried it out, it seems I’m not the only one. Also I’d really like to see this product removed from stores, something isn't right. I’d also like my money back... Buyers beware!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I used Neutrogena face scrub and face mask. A day after my skin was crazy dry. My skin has never been this dry. Ever. It hurts when I apply lotion. Now I have no idea what to do. I’m never going to use this product again. It’s so painful.

Original review: March 17, 2018

Bought the face bar cause my 12 yr old breaks out. She used it and after cried her face burned. So I try it and my face is burning like sunburn or something. My husband tested it and his face burned. Skins red and peeling. No way all 3 of us got burned. Be very careful what you use.

Original review: March 16, 2018

In December 2017 I received a 3 pack of Neutrogena body wash. The first time I used the Ocean Mist in my shower was mid Jan 2018. I had put body wash on my washcloth and proceeded to wash my face when I got the Ocean Mist body wash in my left eye. My eye immediately closed tightly and was extremely burning. I tried rinsing my eye with water in which was pretty much impossible as I was not able to open my eye for any length of time. Then I tried eye drops (Murine) and then my I placed a band over my left eye. My eye has not been the same since. The corner where the tear duct is is a purple red color with the skin always being crusty. I believe that my eyelid where my lashes are is also affected. There is no warning on bottle if you were to get it in your eyes. I have not used it since, and do feel I should have went to the ER. My eye is not the same, and for that reason I will have to see a Doctor now.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I started using this Neutrogena pore refining exfoliating cleanser a couple of days ago, my eyes have been so swollen and itchy and they burn and my face Burns. I have these tiny bumps like a rash all over my face, my cheeks, and my whole face is red! I've been popping Benadryl thinking it was allergies but sure enough I just washed my face again with this product and my face is on FIRE so I Googled it and sure enough I found everybody's reviews here... I'll be throwing this product right here in the trash!!! What a waste of $9!!! Everything burns!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Regenerating Cream - I have had swollen, burning face & eyes since using this cream. They say you may have some redding of the face but it should go away. I am miserable since using it. Should be taken off the market!!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I have never given a review before, however my experience was so bad I feel the need to warn others. I have never had problems with my skin before until I used oil-free acne wash Neutrogena. About 1-2 days after I used the wash my face swelled up, red raw, extremely painful and white like pimples covered my face. I took the day off work to attend the doctors who confirmed I had a severe allergic reaction. I was given intense cream for my face along with tablets to control my reaction. Never again will I use this and I will be sure to tell others to stay away. Day two into my reaction and I am still in a lot of pain and my face looks horrible.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have really dry skin, so I did a lot of research and read several reviews before buying this Neutrogena foundation (Neutrogena Hydro Boost Tint) along with the Neutrogena primer. When I washed the makeup off at the end of the day, my skin was burning. The warm washcloth felt like sticking hot pokers on my face. When I was done, my skin (especially around my eyes and mouth) was swollen and red. My husband commented that it looked like I’d been punched in both eyes. I have no idea what chemical they place in their “hydrating” products that causes such horrific chemical burns, but I’ve since had to buy serious moisturizing products and antibiotic ointments to prevent infection from setting in. My skin is now peeling and shedding the layers Neutrogena burned off. It has been a painful nightmare.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I’ve used Neutrogena in the past, the grapefruit scrub, and got a really bad reaction but I thought maybe I’m allergic to grapefruit and didn’t pay attention to it just never used it again. Well I decided to get a new face wash and it’s the cooling gel scrub. Turns out Neutrogena is the issue. My face got a crazy chemical burn, I have tiny water blisters and my face itches like crazy! Not only did I have to miss work, because I’m customer facing and rely on looking decent, but the discomfort I am going through is beyond the roof. My skin is now chapped and I can’t wear makeup, I’m scared to even put a moisturizer on because it burns. So far coconut water is helping at night but other than that idk what to do. I will NEVER buy another product from this brand again. Hypoallergenic my **.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

This is the biggest waste of money I have spent in a very long time. I purchased the Neutrogena Deep Moisturizer for both daytime and nighttime and the Neutrogena Anti Wrinkle Creme. I have used it for 2 weeks and my skin has never felt or looked so terrible. It's dry and itchy, this is just a disgusting product that shouldn't be allowed on the shelves. I have no allergies so it's not like I am having a reaction to anything. What a ripoff.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

The last months ago I bought Neutrogena products include SPF 15 moisturizer, anti-wrinkle intensive serum and face wash for sensitive skin. After while I started to have itchy dry red skin round my eyes, cheeks and upper lip. I never had any reaction with other products except Neutrogena which right now I cannot recommended whatsoever especially I have normal skin, I have been using coconut oil as moisturizer without using any makeup.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I used this product (Face wash) once. The next day my eyes were swollen. This is the second day after use and my face is worse. Dry, itchy, tight skin and swollen eyes. I’ve taken Benadryl and have done cool compress, cucumbers on the eyes and nothing is better. I had to miss work today and if it isn’t better tomorrow I will have to pay for a doctor appointment! I’m never buying any products from Neutrogena again!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2018

I just read the ingredient list on this moisturizer - "A daily retinol facial moisturizer with multi-vitamins". The "active ingredients" list only includes sunscreens. At the bottom of the "inactive ingredients" list, retinol is listed. Seeing as the ingredients are listed in order from highest to lowest concentrations, retinol's appearance second-last on the list (below fragrances and preservatives) would mean that Neutrogena is basically using false advertising in implying that this product has any retinol activity whatsoever. Shame on Neutrogena - I will be boycotting your products.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I normally have very clear skin and have had clear skin my entire life, my face has had a few little pimples lately due to stress. I bought this product made by Neutrogena 2 days ago and I've only used it once. My face started to burn within an hour and now seems as though I have a chemical burn, the next morning (now) my eyes and face are complete swollen, my face is hot and literally burnt. This is a terrible product, I will never buy Neutrogena products again! I've attached a normal everyday picture and 2 of the burn and swelling.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I normally use organic face wash, but since I've been having acne pop up lately I thought I would try Neutrogena Oil Free Acne face wash. The first day I used it my face felt super clean until I woke up the next day with my eyes nearly swollen shut and my face on fire. The second day I used it I woke up the next day and my face was still swollen and now my face is overly dry, skin peeling and has all these tiny inflamed bumps all over my face. My face is so dry that I can barely move it, it hurts. I can't even put moisturizer on it that it hurts so bad.

Never again will I ever buy any of these products again. I'm on my 3rd day and I haven't used the face wash. The swelling has gone down a tad bit but since I got some face wash in my eyes my eyes are bloodshot red and burning. Waiting for my doctor's appt later today to help me fix this situation. But believe me I will never ever buy Neutrogena products again and I will also let my friends and family know as well that this stuff is full of chemicals that can literally burn your face off. Not a happy camper.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was using the cream for 3 weeks and it seems like it was working. Until suddenly my skin started having blotchy red, burning and itchy patches. It was also like dry. All where I applied the cream. Couldn't understand why after 3 wks it started doing this. When I tried to apply more... the skin felt like it was on fire. Now I'm putting olive oil on it to ease the pain as it feels like it was burned. Hope it goes away soon.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

On my birthday a few days ago, I bought Neutrogena Deep Clean facial cleanser. Worst mistake of my life. I woke up the next day with my eyes swollen shut and a horribly gritty rash all over my face. I was rushed to a medical facility and given a steroid shot. My face feels like it is on fire and it's very difficult to keep my eyes open because of the facial swelling. I contacted Neutrogena through Facebook and they asked that I call their toll free number to discuss my reaction. I did call and was asked numerous questions which felt like they were trying to rule out the possibility of this being product related.

My doctor confirmed that it was indeed this product that caused this horrible reaction. Neutrogena offered to refund the cost of the product, which is nice, but what I'd like is some honesty. I specifically asked if there were reports of others with this experience and she said that there were reports of some "redness" but nothing like my case. I'd like to know if anyone else has had this type of reaction. Pictures are before I used the product, then during the reaction and then one of me at the doctor's office to get a steroid injection.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased the Neutrogena Oil Free Pink Grapefruit and Scrub from the Wal-Mart Market in Bossier City on 01/01/2018. I used it for the first time that evening before going to bed. Yesterday, 01/02/2018, I noticed my eyes felt overly irritated and that my skin was super dry and beginning to lightly flake. I came home not knowing what was causing it and washed my makeup off with the cleanser. BIG MISTAKE. Less than 2 hours later my left eye started to swell and weep uncontrollable. I thought I was getting pink eye honestly. Through the night last night I tossed and turned, my face continued to itch and swell. When I got up this morning (01/03/2018) to go to work, I took a shower and could barely open my left eye. Also I noticed that my right eye appeared to be swelling and there was burn like blemishes on my left cheek.

I literally took a photo of my face and sent it to my nurse. She told me to be in the office to see my PCP first thing. He looked at me and immediately said I was suffering an allergic reaction and chemical burns. He asked me what new I was using on my face and that is when it clicked. We sat together and Googled the products and there are horror stories all over the internet. WHY IS THIS PRODUCT STILL BEING SOLD TO THE PUBLIC??? AND WHY ISN'T THERE A CLASS LAWSUIT??? Now I'm out of work today, out medical bills, out money for product that is dangerous, and a chemical burn could scar. SHAME ON YOU, NEUTROGENA. I have attached photos of the product as well as my face before and after ** shot.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My neck and both elbow pits became red and itchy the same day after I used Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash for the first time. It took several days to figure out that it was this product which caused an allergic reaction, but still not sure about the exact component.

Neutrogena expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1930 as the cosmetics company Natone, Neutrogena is today part of the Johnson & Johnson Conglomerate, which bought the independent company Neutrogena in 1994. The company is known for being dermatologist recommended, and their product line includes skin care, cosmetics and sun care.

• Great for acne-prone skin: Neutrogena is best known for solving acne problems for men and women. They have moisturizers, cleansers, kits and cosmetics for facial and body acne.

• Widely available: Consumers can buy Neutrogena products online or in most major drugstores and pharmacies. Price conscious consumers can enjoy an extra discount and coupons when they sign up for Neutrogena’s email newsletter.

• Anti-aging: Women who are concerned with the appearance of their skin as they age can shop for a wide range of anti-aging products on Neutrogena’s website. Choose the product that works best for your anti-aging concern, whether it’s wrinkles, defense, pore refining, toning or microdermabrasion.

• Free shipping and returns: Consumers can enjoy free shipping on all Neutrogena orders placed directly from the company’s website that are $25 or more. Enjoy a full refund (minus shipping costs) for items returned within 30 days of the shipping date.

• Active Facebook community: Neutrogena’s Facebook page is very active, and the company posts information about skin-related topics, such as skin cancer and acne. They respond publicly and privately to consumer questions and complaints.

• Best for: Neutrogena is best for women with acne and women seeking anti-aging skincare and cosmetic products.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs