1.15/5
  • 1 star
Based on 36 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Neutrogena

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 20, 2018

360 Neutrogena Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

I normally have very clear skin and have had clear skin my entire life, my face has had a few little pimples lately due to stress. I bought this product made by Neutrogena 2 days ago and I've only used it once. My face started to burn within an hour and now seems as though I have a chemical burn, the next morning (now) my eyes and face are complete swollen, my face is hot and literally burnt. This is a terrible product, I will never buy Neutrogena products again! I've attached a normal everyday picture and 2 of the burn and swelling.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I normally use organic face wash, but since I've been having acne pop up lately I thought I would try Neutrogena Oil Free Acne face wash. The first day I used it my face felt super clean until I woke up the next day with my eyes nearly swollen shut and my face on fire. The second day I used it I woke up the next day and my face was still swollen and now my face is overly dry, skin peeling and has all these tiny inflamed bumps all over my face. My face is so dry that I can barely move it, it hurts. I can't even put moisturizer on it that it hurts so bad.

Never again will I ever buy any of these products again. I'm on my 3rd day and I haven't used the face wash. The swelling has gone down a tad bit but since I got some face wash in my eyes my eyes are bloodshot red and burning. Waiting for my doctor's appt later today to help me fix this situation. But believe me I will never ever buy Neutrogena products again and I will also let my friends and family know as well that this stuff is full of chemicals that can literally burn your face off. Not a happy camper.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

I was using the cream for 3 weeks and it seems like it was working. Until suddenly my skin started having blotchy red, burning and itchy patches. It was also like dry. All where I applied the cream. Couldn't understand why after 3 wks it started doing this. When I tried to apply more... the skin felt like it was on fire. Now I'm putting olive oil on it to ease the pain as it feels like it was burned. Hope it goes away soon.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

On my birthday a few days ago, I bought Neutrogena Deep Clean facial cleanser. Worst mistake of my life. I woke up the next day with my eyes swollen shut and a horribly gritty rash all over my face. I was rushed to a medical facility and given a steroid shot. My face feels like it is on fire and it's very difficult to keep my eyes open because of the facial swelling. I contacted Neutrogena through Facebook and they asked that I call their toll free number to discuss my reaction. I did call and was asked numerous questions which felt like they were trying to rule out the possibility of this being product related.

My doctor confirmed that it was indeed this product that caused this horrible reaction. Neutrogena offered to refund the cost of the product, which is nice, but what I'd like is some honesty. I specifically asked if there were reports of others with this experience and she said that there were reports of some "redness" but nothing like my case. I'd like to know if anyone else has had this type of reaction. Pictures are before I used the product, then during the reaction and then one of me at the doctor's office to get a steroid injection.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I purchased the Neutrogena Oil Free Pink Grapefruit and Scrub from the Wal-Mart Market in Bossier City on 01/01/2018. I used it for the first time that evening before going to bed. Yesterday, 01/02/2018, I noticed my eyes felt overly irritated and that my skin was super dry and beginning to lightly flake. I came home not knowing what was causing it and washed my makeup off with the cleanser. BIG MISTAKE. Less than 2 hours later my left eye started to swell and weep uncontrollable. I thought I was getting pink eye honestly. Through the night last night I tossed and turned, my face continued to itch and swell. When I got up this morning (01/03/2018) to go to work, I took a shower and could barely open my left eye. Also I noticed that my right eye appeared to be swelling and there was burn like blemishes on my left cheek.

I literally took a photo of my face and sent it to my nurse. She told me to be in the office to see my PCP first thing. He looked at me and immediately said I was suffering an allergic reaction and chemical burns. He asked me what new I was using on my face and that is when it clicked. We sat together and Googled the products and there are horror stories all over the internet. WHY IS THIS PRODUCT STILL BEING SOLD TO THE PUBLIC??? AND WHY ISN'T THERE A CLASS LAWSUIT??? Now I'm out of work today, out medical bills, out money for product that is dangerous, and a chemical burn could scar. SHAME ON YOU, NEUTROGENA. I have attached photos of the product as well as my face before and after ** shot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

My neck and both elbow pits became red and itchy the same day after I used Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash for the first time. It took several days to figure out that it was this product which caused an allergic reaction, but still not sure about the exact component.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I washed my face with the pink grapefruit acne soap Tuesday night. Thursday morning my face was burning. I threw some makeup on and went to work. I was in horrible pain that night. Just as bad Friday. My face just burned and it’s all red and blotchy. Looks horrible. Now this morning it doesn’t burn as bad but parts of my face are extremely dry like sandpaper. I’ve been using baby lotion on my face constantly which my Dr. said is good. She said if it itches get ** cream. Had to call her again this morning because now my eyes are all dry itchy hurting. It feels like I have pink eye. So now I’m off to the store to get eye drops which I’m praying will help. At least my face doesn’t hurt as badly today. Stay away from this product!!! I wouldn’t wish this on anyone. I washed my face with this one time! Just one time. My Dr. said it should clear up in seven days. I’m doubtful on that.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I bought this Neutrogena Blackheads eliminating Facial Scrubs in HK since I am running out of facial wash. On the first time I used it, I felt little itchy but I ignored it. Then when I woke up the next morning I felt a little swollen on my right eye but I just ignored it because I thought it will just go. I went out to roam around then went back to my hotel and washed up using again the Neutrogena. That time I can already feel that both eyes are a little puffy and my skin seem a little dry.

I woke up the next morning and my eyes are swollen shut and my face is swollen. I was even worried because I need to fly back. I was wearing shades the whole day to hide my swollen face. It was a nightmare! I was supposed to enjoy my trip but because of this facial wash I did not. How can they sell this to the market! Up to now, I wasn't able to report to work since I need to medicate my swollen face and take antihistamine. Urggg, this product needs to be thrown. You can destroy someone's face.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

NEUTROGENA Oil-Free Acne Wash, PINK GRAPEFRUIT FOAMING WASH - I bought this product for the first time as I was having breakout issues on my face. I used it on the first evening before bed and then the next morning. My skin felt a little dry and unusually tight, put my makeup on and went out that evening, cleansed my face again with the NEUTROGENA that evening before bed, and when I woke the next morning I could not see out of my eyes as they were so swollen and my face was incredibly and frightening swollen. I cried I couldn't believe how bad my eyes and face were. My skin was like sandpaper and very scaly.

I could not go outside for 5 days. My husband bought anti-inflammatory drops for my eyes. Never before have I ever reacted to a product in my life like this. People stay away from this company. I also never realized that this product is distributed by JOHNSON & JOHNSON. If this can affect you like this tell me how much research has gone into the contents of this chemical-based product and how dangerous it is.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

I have used Neutrogena products in the past with no issues. The day I purchased these products, I used the night cream, and then the next morning showered and used the day cream and that night my face and neck became extremely red and itchy. I had really bad reaction even 2 days later. I did not reapply. I had to take an anti itching prescription medication to get relief from the intense itch, redness and swelling. **I will NEVER BUY Neutrogena products again, EVER!**

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I tried Neutrogena's pink grapefruit foaming scrub and used it for 2 days, on the 3rd day I woke up with extremely dry, red face and neck. As the day has gone on my face feels even worse. It feels so tight and I have broken out into these little white looking zits on my chin and upper lip. My skin feels like scaly sandpaper. I have never had a reaction like this to any product! After reading other reviews that I am not the only one experiencing these issues, this product needs to be taken off the shelf, it's a nightmare.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I had ran out of my usual face wash oil of Olay so thought I'd try something different as had a spot and thought this might do the trick. I used it Fri night and skin felt quite good and fresh, I liked the feeling, so continued to use it on Sat night and immediately I had a rash coming from my neck right up to my face. My neck was on fire and it hurt a lot... had work in morning got up looked in mirror and got a terrible shock. My face was almost double the size and looked deformed but I stupidly slapped on makeup and went to work. That was a mistake. My face hurt. Like hell all day at work and I couldn't wait to wash the crap off my face I had to use a cleansing milk and cotton wool to remove the make up, my skin looked horrendous and I was scared with the disfigurement so soon after using the face wash. I could not go out the house. My poor dog wondered what was wrong.

I went to doctors in morning and was palmed off with a 10mg antihistamine and dermol lotion. I felt upset that the doc hadn't given me a steroid cream/lotion or antibiotic. I took the antihistamine and applied the dermol as my face was so sore and at different parts itchy. The following day my face looked even worse like double the size. My eyes were swollen and my cheeks so puffy I looked actually deformed. I was so scared. I then contacted the pharmacy who said they couldn't give me a steroid cream I would need to go to docs, which I did. I phoned and the doc I saw the previous day said, "Yes. I said to you if it didn't clear I would give you a steroid cream." I said, "Doctor how do I go about getting the prescription?" She said, "No. You can buy it over the counter", I phoned pharmacist again who said that it was very strange that the doctor didn't give me a prescription. I agreed and felt deeply let down by the doctor.

I then had to send my son to the pharmacist to pick up the ** that says do not use on face but as doctor hadn't prescribed me one I continued to use it but I am scared that as it was my son that bought it and I didn't get the chance to speak to pharmacist to make doubly sure it will be safe to use on my face. I applied it and it stung so bad I thought this can't be right, this is three next morning and my face was not much different the next day. My son was nearly crying when he saw me this morning. I am due back to work on Friday and this is distressing me as this has been 4 days later and I'm still having to stay indoors and can't let anyone see me. Please do not use this product. It should not be allowed to be on sale...

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Good products that dermatologists recommend and good shades, moisturizing ingredients, not irritating to sensitive skin. Innovative skin care products that protect while adding smoothness, even tone, natural colors.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I wish I could give this product (Neutrogena oil free Acne Wash cream cleanser) no star. I purchased it and now I'm more worried about my puffy face and the rashes all over my cheeks. Please stay away from this garbage.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Used Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Anti Age Wrinkle Serum and WOW started looking like a puffer fish. Face was red in the beginning, itchiness, got worse with bumps started swelling up, eventually needed to go to the doctor for antibiotics. VERY DISAPPOINTED as they are also not a cheap product. I looked like this for about 1 week and a half.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I used Neutrogena Oil-Free face wash because I ran out of my usual. After the first use, I noticed the next day itchy, red, burning rash and bumps on my face. I didn't use the face wash anymore because the rash became worse and so did the bumps. I started taking two different antihistamines because the rashes became that itchy and irritating. By the second or third day after the one time use, the condition got worse! My eyes were nearly swollen shut!!! The bumps and rash were much worse! I had to go to an urgent care. They gave me a steroid shot and prescribed a week's worth of steroid pills due to the severity of the allergic reaction. I will never, ever use Neutrogena products AGAIN!!! I will stick to Cetaphil! Neutrogena needs to review and revise their ingredients! This is unacceptable to put out product of this low quality! It nearly destroyed my face.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

Caution, proceed and purchase at your own risk!!!! I purchased a Neutrogena facial cleansing bar, with the assurity that this product was a gentle, chemical-free and sensitive facial cleanser behind the counter product you can find (with all of the Neutrogena ads and commercials claiming this to be true). However, within two uses of this product my skin began to become inflamed with a burning sting, red patches, itchiness, and flaky peeling skin.. It was only after I realized what had caused this issue that I came across so many articles and complaints against Neutrogena due to the same cause. DO YOURSELF THE FAVOR AND SAVE YOURSELF THE ANTIHISTAMINE, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I ran out of my usual face wash, so I borrowed some of the Neutrogena Oil Free face wash (clear bottle, orange liquid, with a pump), thinking it would be ok because it is even more mild than my usual face wash. The first night I used it, my face felt kind of hot, but nothing really happened other than tightness and the hot feeling. Second night I used it, still felt hot and tight, add in some itching. When I woke up the next morning, my face was broken out in a rash of redness, tiny bumps, burning, and itching. It was only flared up in the places the face wash touched, but then began to spread. The bumps have spread to my left ear (inside, outside, and behind). It doesn't burn today, but it is very itchy, red and bumpy. Hopefully this goes away soon, I have been using antihistamine gel and pills to ease the flare and itching. Will not be using Neutrogena products again.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I used this product (Hydro boost exfoliation scrub) and 2 days later my face and eyes swelled up and was extremely sore. The doctor said I'd had an allergic reaction and prescribed steroid tablets. My face is so dry now and no cream will improve it so it's back to the docs! Do not use this product too many harsh chemicals in it.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Beach Defense water + sun barrier lotion SPF 70 - I used this product on my granddaughters ages 7 and 5. Both broke out in a real bad rash on their face. Product states "children under 6 months of age Ask a doctor." Please do not use this product. Both broke out the same day and it was worst the next day. I followed directions as stated but it should state "Do not use on FACE."

Original review: June 24, 2017

I've used Neutrogena makeup wipes on and off before (over the last decade) and never recall having an issue. A few months ago, I started using them again daily, now they are part of my everyday routine, and I noticed my eyes got puffy and itchy after several days of use. I continued the use just thinking it was old/ bad makeup. After a couple more days (and with new makeup) my eyes were still irritated. The puffiness went away but my eyelids were left very red, watery, and scaly.

Over the next 5 days, they peeled and flaked and my under eyes had circles/sags. By this time, I seized all cosmetics except for the basic makeup and tried and true face wash/ moisturizer that I knew was safe. My eyes went back to normal. After a couple of weeks I started reintroducing cosmetics one at a time to see who was the culprit. Got to the makeup removers again (and after a couple of days) my eyes got very irritated again. My eyelids got itchy, puffy, wrinkly, and watery. I'm positive that the makeup wipes are the cause. *I will say this though, I use other Neutrogena products and don't have an issue. The body scrub is my favorite soap of all time. I think my eyes are sensitive and that daily use of this product (the makeup remover wipes) is just too harsh. Probably just not for sensitive skin/eyes.

Original review: June 16, 2017

I had a severe allergic reaction to this face sunscreen. My eye nearly swollen shut, blisters, red, itchy rash. My doctor prescribed oral steroids and a steroid cream. Too harsh ingredients. Don't use.

Original review: June 14, 2017

I recently started using two products from Neutrogena; the makeup remover towelettes and the Pink Grapefruit facial (acne) wash. Within a day, my eyelids began to droop and were quite itchy and the flesh under my eyes near the bottom of the orbitals drooped. I even took ** to ease the itching - something I never have had to use. Both upper and lower lid flesh turned red and got dried-out and flaky.

Although I am 56 years old, my skin has always been fairly wrinkle-free, soft and smooth. (I have been told I look much younger than my years.) My eyelids drooped so much that I looked like I am 90. In fact, it was so bad that my left eyelid covered a portion of my eye. I assumed because Neutrogena claims to be hypoallergenic and because I don't have any known allergies at all, that these were good products. To be fair, I am not sure which of the two caused the problem, or both, but I am not going to try to find out by experimenting on my face to eliminate one of the variables.

Original review: May 22, 2017

I used hydroquench cleanser and water gel. The next morning my skin started to go red. A day later my eyes were nearly closed and I had to go to A and E. They prescribed **. I don't know what is in it but please stop. I have never had this reaction to a product before.

Original review: May 13, 2017

I purchased blackhead eliminating daily scrub for my daughter to use after going to the dermatologist. She used it one time and woke up with swollen puffy itchy skin on her face and the front of her neck where she applied it. I took her to her doctor again and they gave her a steroid ** to take however don't feel that has done anything. Now realizing it's not an allergic reaction to anything else except for what she put on her face because that is the only area affected. Now that I have narrowed it down to the blackhead laminating daily scrub. I cleansed her face with Vanicream soap to try to remove any residue of the Neutrogena product. Third day she woke up with itching still around her lips only. At this point we are just applying ** to help with the itching. Never again will I ever use any Neutrogena products especially after reading all these reviews. I should've checked reviews in the beginning. I will be taking this product back to Walmart for a full refund.

Original review: May 12, 2017

My daughter woke up this morning with her eyes swollen shut and her skin bright red from this Pink Grapefruit Face Wash. She said she forgot that the last time she used this product the same thing happened. She is 15 and was worried about her acne- and now her acne is the least of her worries. She has no other allergies so this took us by surprise.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I have been using Neutrogena Men Age Fighter Face Moisturizer with sunscreen for about 6-8 months. About 6 weeks ago I developed a bright red rash that was itching like crazy on my both sides of my neck. I thought it was a food allergy. I continued to use the product and this week again I have an even worse red burning and itching skin. I have been using a Walgreens Calahist to stop the itching and burning that I used on my recurring shingles outbreaks. Additionally I use Udderly Smooth to help heal the area. It has been 3 days and my skin looks the same. I will never again use a Neutrogena product. It even says on the back of the tube "Stop use and ask a doctor if rash occurs". Well that should have told me this product is not GOOD.

Original review: April 25, 2017

I used Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair for 2 days. On the 3rd day I woke up with a burning rash on my face (around my eye) and my neck. My eye continues to swell and the burn is itching and fluid is coming from the burn. Went to Little Clinic and received ** and an antibiotic along with some cream. The swelling is getting worse. I can barely see out of my right eye. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow, I will be going to the ER. I will not be using this product again.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I washed with Neutrogena face wash and was excited to see if I could get my skin clear. It is supposed to be hypoallergenic, so I was surprised when my face started itching and BURNING (I had burn marks on my face like I was sunburned), and then peeling like crazy. It has been about 5 days now and I am only just beginning to see a little bit of an improvement. There were also lots of bumps on my face and dark spots. I can't wait for my face to heal, but am surprised that there are this many people with the same issues. I used to use this same product years ago, and didn't have any reactions. Did they change their ingredients? I will never buy any of their products again.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I started using the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Wash around 3 days ago & noticed that my skin was extremely dry and flaky. Not realising it was the product I used it again. Today on the third day of use my neck is very red and sore almost like a chemical burn. (Thank goodness I tested it only on my neck rather than my whole face!)

Neutrogena expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1930 as the cosmetics company Natone, Neutrogena is today part of the Johnson & Johnson Conglomerate, which bought the independent company Neutrogena in 1994. The company is known for being dermatologist recommended, and their product line includes skin care, cosmetics and sun care.

• Great for acne-prone skin: Neutrogena is best known for solving acne problems for men and women. They have moisturizers, cleansers, kits and cosmetics for facial and body acne.

• Widely available: Consumers can buy Neutrogena products online or in most major drugstores and pharmacies. Price conscious consumers can enjoy an extra discount and coupons when they sign up for Neutrogena’s email newsletter.

• Anti-aging: Women who are concerned with the appearance of their skin as they age can shop for a wide range of anti-aging products on Neutrogena’s website. Choose the product that works best for your anti-aging concern, whether it’s wrinkles, defense, pore refining, toning or microdermabrasion.

• Free shipping and returns: Consumers can enjoy free shipping on all Neutrogena orders placed directly from the company’s website that are $25 or more. Enjoy a full refund (minus shipping costs) for items returned within 30 days of the shipping date.

• Active Facebook community: Neutrogena’s Facebook page is very active, and the company posts information about skin-related topics, such as skin cancer and acne. They respond publicly and privately to consumer questions and complaints.

• Best for: Neutrogena is best for women with acne and women seeking anti-aging skincare and cosmetic products.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

Neutrogena Company Information

www.neutrogena.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use