3.77/5

474 Neutrogena Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I have been using the makeup wipes for years, and I have never had a bad breakout or a bad experience with them. They are my go to wipes when I go into a store, every other brand makes my face red, dry, and once swollen. I highly recommend the wipes from Neutrogena.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I am starting to show my age... 56. The small lines and wrinkles that begin around your 40's... they get deeper if you don't take care of your face. So... Neutrogena has the best of the best AND for the best price. Trust me on this because I have used some of the doctor 'made' stuff that costs up to and in some cases over 100 dollars just for one bottle or jar of moisturizer, etc. Their makeup is great. It covers well and never cakey looking on us older gals. It also makes my face very soft and smooth when I use any of their products. Even the all over body lotions feels just as great as the high dollar stuff. I am not saying the high dollar stuff doesn't work but why pay those prices if you don't have to and Neutrogena makes it possible for women like me, on a budget, look and feel just as good as anything that cost 100 dollars or more.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

At 62 and with combination/dry skin, an evening nourisher is important, but I could never use one without a breakout of pimples and aggravating the rosacea I have struggled with over the last two years. I have been using a variety of the Neutrogena night and day creams containing advanced anti-aging ingredients for the past 4 months and have had no breakouts. I have also not had any signs of rosacea. My skin is tighter, both deep and fine lines have decreased, and it feels great!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I like Neutrogena facial cleaning products and their anti-aging products too. Their make-up makes my skin a little oily. And I do not like the way it feels heavy on my face. Their eyeshadow do not really impress me either. Their eyeliner does not stay out very well. And I have tried some of their mascara. Even the waterproof one does not make my eyelashes very full or thick without getting clumpy.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Neutrogena is a quality product that has good effects for skin improvement and excellent value. The facial soaps are non-drying leaving softened skin while helping to clear away any blemishes. The skin lotions have a creamy texture that provides hydrated skin effects and leaves a soft healthy skin glow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?

Original review: July 18, 2019

I was a long time user of Neutrogena facial wipes. In the last several months, I developed red, itchy, flaky eyelids and also along the eyebrow bone and under eye area. I tried everything to rectify the situation...new eye makeup, foundation, eye cream, moisturizers, etc. to no avail. I was miserable and looked terrible with constant red eye areas. Then I wondered if it could be my wipes. I googled it and sure enough, other people had the same problem. I trusted Neutrogena and I shouldn’t have. Only two days after stopping use my symptoms have cleared up! Thinking they must have adjusted the ingredients in the wipes. Obviously will never use again!

Original review: July 15, 2019

I bought this lotion to put in my travel bag for vacation because it was a small bottle. The first time I used it before bed after washing my face. I woke up to my face having red blotches and swollen and my eyelids and all around my eyes were swollen and itchy. I knew I must have had an allergic reaction to something but didn’t know what. Took a week for my face to clear up and now here I am on another vacation and used it again and the same reaction but even worse. It was like a burn all over my face, my neck and chest with red pimples and itching. My eyes are swollen and super itchy and my skin is very dry. I realized it had to be this lotion.

It was the only 2 times that this happened and I used this lotion. I am super pissed. I hope this did not do damage to my skin and it really ruined 2 vacations for me. I will never purchase Neutrogena products again and I am writing a complaint to this company. I went online and seen that other people had the same sort of reaction to this product. Something is wrong and this company should take all their crappy products off the shelves!!

Original review: July 7, 2019

This product has caused my eyes to swell up. This is the only skin product to do this to my face. I've used many other Neutrogena products, but none have done anything like this to me. I'd never recommend it and the product should be pulled in my opinion. What is in this tube? Since I got this reaction, I've been testing to see if the reaction is due to makeup or infection. The makeup is the same that I've used for years and so is the makeup remover (Neutrogena). The problem definitely is this product. I have no food allergies and I've taken an allergy test in recent years. This product causes no pain or burning when it's applied, but over hours it is causing extremely swollen eyelids and clearly -red- eyelids and red skin to the upper brow. It also caused my lower eyelids to slightly swell with red blotches, which weren't as intensely red as the upper eyelids.

I wish there were more details on the packaging about the active ingredients. The upper eyelids were much more red three hours prior to the photo. This isn't an infection or food allergy; time, antihistamine, and zero skin product makes it disappear over 2-3 days. As the swelling lessens, the skin tends to be dry/rough. This product is horrible and I can't believe it's being sold without some larger warning. I don't have allergies, sensitive skin, or sickness.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I purchased Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair and before two weeks of using my face was dry, burning, itching and a rash. I have never had a cream do this in all my life. I am 73 with very few wrinkles and have taken care of my skin my whole life. I have fair skin and I was excited to use this. I quit using this four days ago and my face around both sides of my chin is still broken out, itching all the time and burning. I have a good complexion and never have breakouts, not even when I was younger. I would not recommend this product to any fair skinned person.

I called the company and the representative ask me when I purchased it, which I knew, the bar code and then wanted to know how many times I have used it and then wanted to know my age and the prescriptions I was taking. I told her I haven't had any new prescriptions since 2016 and thought that was unreal that she would ask such personal questions. I will never buy another cream by Neutrogena!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I used these products twice, the first time in the shower (seemingly no reaction), then the next night over the sink, woke up the next day with this dry textured red rash along my face. I am more convinced it was the scrub that lead to the reaction (I believe the ingredients may be too strong to be used as an over the counter exfoliator that says to use at least once a day and up to 2-3 times a day). I think this needs better labeling and should not be encouraging their customers to be exfoliating with this product 2-3 times a day (rather just once or twice a week). I have NEVER had an reaction to any facial wash or scrub before, so this is odd. My face feels like it would after being exposed in the sun without protection, so a bad sunburn that is raw and dry and textured. Note: I have not been in the sun so there is no way this is a sunburn. If I can attach a picture, I will.

Original review: May 29, 2019

After the third day of using the moisturizer, my face had severe hives, was extremely red, and I had pimples all over my cheeks which I never have. My face was burning and itchy. Will stick with Clinique.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I need to warn everyone to please, please spot test these products first. I found that I get allergic reactions to Neutrogena products a few years ago when I broke out in painful itchy hives all along my jawline after using a liquid cleanser. Then I used a moisturizer by them not long after and my face turned itchy and red like crazy. Now just recently I picked up the facial cleansing bar thinking it would be lighter (less ingredients, fragrance free). I now have spots of hives all over my face including under my eyes and all over my forehead. The common denominator? Neutrogena. I used to go "oh, some people have allergies, can't be me" at things like this but my GOD, for the love of God, please don't just slather this stuff on! I'm sure it works for many, hence the extra star, but IT COULD BE YOU!

Original review: May 10, 2019

I use to love Neutrogena so I tried the Hydro Boost. From the first time I got like an allergic reaction but didn't think much about it. After a week of using this product I am now SURE it is this product and stopped. Still my face is swollen, red, itchy, hot, burning and I feel miserable. I spent last night and this morning repeatedly dunking my face in cold water because that is the only thing making it temporarily feel better. I just pray this passes soon and I will NEVER buy Neutrogena again.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have been using expensive cleansers for a couple years & decided to give Neutrogena a try as I was browsing the supermarket aisle. I know their oil-free wash has been on the market forever, so I figured it had to be decent for its price. WRONG! I only used it 3 days & my face is beyond repair. The folds of my nose and the skin around my mouth is extremely tight, dry, flaking, & peeling. I’ve tried using moisturizing washes, creams, hyaluronic acid, & cortisone to clear up the dry, scaly, painful patches without success. I can’t believe the amount of damage this cleanser did in just 3 washes. I recommend staying far away from this cleanser if you value your skin.

Original review: May 2, 2019

My 10 year old daughter now has red burn scabs all over her forehead from using this product ONCE. It burned her skin immediately, and then she woke up with these red scabs all over her forehead. The company has known about this for at least a few years and still does not even have so much as a warning on the package!!! DO NOT USE THESE. They are horrible and shouldn’t even be on the market!!!

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband bought the Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne product & used it. He scrubbed/rinsed with regular soap afterwards. Even after doing so, it completely ruined our bed set- bleached it. Brand new bedding that we got from our wedding. We called customer service & explained everything. They told us there was nothing they could do because the warning label says "avoid contact with fabric, as it may bleach". Again my husband washed after use with other soap & it still bleached our sheets & pillow cases. Obviously you put this product on your face/body & you are going to go to sleep at some point. How else could this have been prevented?? They obviously do not care about their customers as long as they're 'covered' even though that warning is NOT clear & should not cover them. Now we are stuck with $175 worth of brand new stuff that had been ruined thanks to this product. If I could post photos of our bedding now I would.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Been using Neutrogena face lotion for years. This year something very traumatizing happened to my face. I finally after several months of going through Hell, missing work, going to the Doctor, being on steroids and not being able to even leave my house, figured out what it was. Neutrogena!!! Huge red swollen itchy scaly “weeping” patches all over my face, eyes burning and swollen nearly shut! These patches were actual deep red “burns” on my eyelids, cheeks and chin! Narrowing it down with the help of my Doctor was a HUGE ordeal! Thank GOD I’ve finally discovered what it was! I literally broke down in tears when I realized what it was! PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!!! I cannot stress enough! This company owes me and soo many others more than just an apology! The pain, discomfort, missed work, embarrassment etc. has been monumental!!! I cannot describe the relief I feel knowing that this is finally over...

Original review: April 5, 2019

After several months of wondering why my face was so red and burning every time I got out of the shower, I discovered through researching on this site, that maybe it was the body wash I was using. I assumed it was windburn or cold, dry winter air wreaking havoc on my skin. It never got better. It didn't itch, just severe redness and a rash once on my chin with little bumps. So I decided to stop using it, the first time using just water, problem solved! I've used Neutrogena products in the past with no problems, something has changed. I also use their facial cleanser. Not anymore. It's only been one day, but my skin already feels so much better not using the products.

Original review: April 3, 2019

After using Neutrogena oil free acne wash four years ago I had a terrible experience to say the least. After using once I woke up to a swollen face covered in tiny white dots and dry as a desert. I looked horrible. I checked online and realized hundreds of people were experiencing the same results. It’s Horrific that years later this product is still on the shelves!! It took me a week of emotional and physical trauma to get back to myself. I vowed never to buy Neutrogena products again.

Recently I went on vacation and used someone’s sunscreen spray not realizing it’s Neutrogena Beach Defense sunscreen. After two days use I got swolllen eyes and blotchy face and my entire body covered in itchy hives. I have never had hives or allergic reactions to anything else. I'M STILL SUFFERING ONE WEEK LATER as the hives are still not fully away and I’m still taking **. And lo and behold there are tons of reviews online of people having the same reactions to them. BEWARE!!! Neutrogena has harmful ingredients and THE COMPANY SHOULD CLOSE DOWN. Never buy anything from them.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I started using this acne facial wash with hydro boost water gel as Moisturizer 2 days ago, and now my face just had tiny red bumps and rashes (worst on my chin T.T) JUST LIKE THAT!! 2 ** days and now I cannot talk to anyone because it feels like they're looking at the rashes Neutrogena gave me. WON'T RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE. WASTE OF MONEY!!!

Original review: March 24, 2019

On March 18, 2019, I went to Target to try this product the (Neutrogena facial cleansing bar). I read some reviews online with people saying it help with oily skin, and will have your face feeling really clean. I washed my face with this cleansing bar on March 18th the day, I bought it. It lathered good, and I washed my face with it before, I went to bed. The very next day when, I woke up my skin felt really tight. So I looked in the mirror, and my entire face was (RED, AND MY SKIN WAS LITERALLY BURNED)! I washed my face with cold water, and it was so raw that, I could barely touch it. I had red patches on the sides of my face, around my nose, over my entire chin, all over my jaws, and EVERYWHERE! I didn't know what to do so, I hurried up, and put ** on it. I noticed the next 2 days it still was barely healing, because it was literally scabbing up in DRY PATCHES. I kept it moisturized all day every day, but the ** wasn't healing it fast enough.

I googled all kinds of stuff to use, and that is when I found HUNDREDS OF HORRIBLE REVIEWS ABOUT THIS PRODUCT DAMAGING OTHER PEOPLE'S SKIN JUST LIKE IT DID MINE'S. So I immediately went to GNC, and purchased (Natural Brand-Filtered Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel), I went to T.J. MAXX to buy some (Rose Water-Hydrating Face Mist, with Hyaluronic Acid), and I went to Walmart to purchase: (Shea Moisture- Ultra Healing All-Over Hydration- 100% Raw Shea Butter). I immediately sprayed the rose water on my face in the car, and opened up the aloe gel, and put it on my face with my index finger. The aloe vera gel stings just a (little bit for 2 secs), but that is because it is killing the bacteria on your face. I immediately felt it work in seconds! I then rushed home to put the shea butter on my face and placed ** on top of it.

My face started healing immediately after 4 hours and looking at my face in the mirror those super red spots were fading! I even dapped my face with a paper towel to see if it was really working, and to look at it dry. OMG!!! The spots on my face are literally healing, and I'm going to repeat this regimen every day until my face heal all of the way up. Now I do know I have to keep some moisturizer on my face throughout the day at work so, I will use the (ROSE WATER MIST). So if any of you guys have been affected by the HORRIBLE PRODUCT THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN OFF OF THE MARKET ASAP! Please follow these steps to start your process of healing:

1) Spray your face with-(Rose Water-Hydrating Face Mist, with Hyaluronic Acid).
2) Rub your face with-(Natural Brand-Filtered Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel).
3) Rub your face with-(Shea Moisture- Ultra Healing All-Over Hydration- 100% Raw Shea Butter).

4) Rub your face with **.

I know everyone skin is different, but this is what is working for me. I was sooo embarrassed to even go anywhere with my face with red burned patches all over my face. Everyone staring at my face, and asking me what happened to it is just simply embarrassing. Not to mention, I have beautiful clear skin, but I just wanted to try something to help with it being so oily. I wish I would've found this website before, I even bought this product. Like my face is going to take a few weeks to heal like it should, and I don't even want to leave my house. That is how bad it is!!!

This product need to be BANNED FROM THE FDA, because it is damaging people's skin, and I'm quite sure worse than my situation! I used this product one time for one day, and now it is going to take weeks for my skin to heal properly! I regret ever buying this product, and I hope my regimen help hundreds of people who have suffered skin damage from (NEUTROGENA FACIAL CLEANSING BAR)! :)

Original review: March 20, 2019

Do not buy the grapefruit wash. I am a 21 year old male who previous had very minimal to no pimples. One maybe every few weeks. I bought this because my Stridex pads were out of stock. I used it twice, got a burning sensation both times so I stopped. 2 weeks later. I give it another whirl, the next day, my face is broken out, it burns and is painful, and also my hands even have some acne on them. Please take my advice and stay away.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased this product to relieve dry skin on my face because I read “good reviews” online. After using one night before bed, I woke up with a few pimples. I thought nothing of it at the time. However, after 2 more applications, I woke up the following morning with hives all over my face. I have never had acne before - maybe a pimple every now and then. It is horrifying what has happened to my face. I am too embarrassed to leave my own home. I am seeing a dermatologist tomorrow who hopefully can repair what this product has done to me. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Do NOT purchase the Neutrogena grapefruit wash! After purchasing, the next day my eyes were swollen, and my whole neck broke out in a rash! My skin is peeling really bad and my neck is burning. I had to go to the ER because I broke out so bad.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Bought Neutrogena pink grapefruit foaming scrub on Friday 2/22/19. By the next day my face felt irritated and eyes were swollen so me thinking it was allergies took allergy medicine. By Sunday my eyes were so swollen it looked like someone beat me and my skin under my eyes and on my cheeks were red burning and itching. I stopped using the product Sunday morning. When I started putting everything together and the only new thing I had done was buy this product. It is now Tuesday and it has not gotten better after reading reviews on this product I’ve come to a conclusion it must be a chemical burn. I look crazy and nothing is making it better so please be careful if you buy this product.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have used this brand for years and never had an issue until this product. I used this to wash my face and did not use any other products. I woke up the next morning with my face and neck red and burning and then turned into itching. It felt like a chemical burn or allergic reaction. Now I am on day four since the use of the product and I am still red and itchy all over my face and neck and including my eyelids. This is by far the worst product I have ever used. And after just one google search I found MANY women who have gone through the same thing! How are they still able to sell this product with such drastic reactions? Run away from this product and never ever ever buy it!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Facial mask left burn and small blisters on my daughters face! Terrible terrible terrible! Will never ever buy another Neutrogena product again! Buyers beware! I suppose you get what you pay for! As for myself, have never used any of their products. I only use high end products but my daughter is 1200 miles away at college and her and her girlfriends will go shopping and buy what’s available to them. It’s a shame that this happened and I will definitely buy and ship her the products she needs before she runs out so this will never happen again!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased Neutrogena hydro boost hydrating serum with hyaluronic acid in it. Used it two nights on my face and it caused a rash. What is it? I'm surprised described for an I have a rash under both eyes. All its little red bumps under both eyes and I bought this stuff the other day and put on a vote of what two nights and now all this isn't what I was doing a review it’s gave me a rash. I have tiny red bumps under both eyes there and my skin is inflamed and red.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought this foundation thinking that it would help with the discoloration on my face left behind by acne scars. The claims are to "keep skin healthy and even tone and texture." It did the exact opposite. After a couple days of using it, my skin was cracked, scaly, and itchy. I looked at the ingredients: titanium dioxide, aluminum, and aluminum byproducts. Ingredients that you would find in ANTIPERSPIRANT. It sucked all of the moisture out of my face and left me red and splotchy. It's taken days of heavy moisturizing to repair my skin. Will never be purchasing their products of any kind ever again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I bought the Neutrogena anti aging cream for fine lines and crow's feet. After using for 2 months, twice a day, I did not notice any difference. I tried to submit my comments with a 1 star rating and the company declined to post. I tried it again the next day with the same results. Beware of ANY company that will not let you post a negative review.

Neutrogena expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1930 as the cosmetics company Natone, Neutrogena is today part of the Johnson & Johnson Conglomerate, which bought the independent company Neutrogena in 1994. The company is known for being dermatologist recommended, and their product line includes skin care, cosmetics and sun care.

• Great for acne-prone skin: Neutrogena is best known for solving acne problems for men and women. They have moisturizers, cleansers, kits and cosmetics for facial and body acne.

• Widely available: Consumers can buy Neutrogena products online or in most major drugstores and pharmacies. Price conscious consumers can enjoy an extra discount and coupons when they sign up for Neutrogena’s email newsletter.

• Anti-aging: Women who are concerned with the appearance of their skin as they age can shop for a wide range of anti-aging products on Neutrogena’s website. Choose the product that works best for your anti-aging concern, whether it’s wrinkles, defense, pore refining, toning or microdermabrasion.

• Free shipping and returns: Consumers can enjoy free shipping on all Neutrogena orders placed directly from the company’s website that are $25 or more. Enjoy a full refund (minus shipping costs) for items returned within 30 days of the shipping date.

• Active Facebook community: Neutrogena’s Facebook page is very active, and the company posts information about skin-related topics, such as skin cancer and acne. They respond publicly and privately to consumer questions and complaints.

• Best for: Neutrogena is best for women with acne and women seeking anti-aging skincare and cosmetic products.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs