3.29/5

464 Neutrogena Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 18, 2019

My husband bought the Rapid Clear Stubborn Acne product & used it. He scrubbed/rinsed with regular soap afterwards. Even after doing so, it completely ruined our bed set- bleached it. Brand new bedding that we got from our wedding. We called customer service & explained everything. They told us there was nothing they could do because the warning label says "avoid contact with fabric, as it may bleach". Again my husband washed after use with other soap & it still bleached our sheets & pillow cases. Obviously you put this product on your face/body & you are going to go to sleep at some point. How else could this have been prevented?? They obviously do not care about their customers as long as they're 'covered' even though that warning is NOT clear & should not cover them. Now we are stuck with $175 worth of brand new stuff that had been ruined thanks to this product. If I could post photos of our bedding now I would.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Been using Neutrogena face lotion for years. This year something very traumatizing happened to my face. I finally after several months of going through Hell, missing work, going to the Doctor, being on steroids and not being able to even leave my house, figured out what it was. Neutrogena!!! Huge red swollen itchy scaly “weeping” patches all over my face, eyes burning and swollen nearly shut! These patches were actual deep red “burns” on my eyelids, cheeks and chin! Narrowing it down with the help of my Doctor was a HUGE ordeal! Thank GOD I’ve finally discovered what it was! I literally broke down in tears when I realized what it was! PLEASE PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT!!! I cannot stress enough! This company owes me and soo many others more than just an apology! The pain, discomfort, missed work, embarrassment etc. has been monumental!!! I cannot describe the relief I feel knowing that this is finally over...

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

After several months of wondering why my face was so red and burning every time I got out of the shower, I discovered through researching on this site, that maybe it was the body wash I was using. I assumed it was windburn or cold, dry winter air wreaking havoc on my skin. It never got better. It didn't itch, just severe redness and a rash once on my chin with little bumps. So I decided to stop using it, the first time using just water, problem solved! I've used Neutrogena products in the past with no problems, something has changed. I also use their facial cleanser. Not anymore. It's only been one day, but my skin already feels so much better not using the products.

Original review: April 3, 2019

After using Neutrogena oil free acne wash four years ago I had a terrible experience to say the least. After using once I woke up to a swollen face covered in tiny white dots and dry as a desert. I looked horrible. I checked online and realized hundreds of people were experiencing the same results. It’s Horrific that years later this product is still on the shelves!! It took me a week of emotional and physical trauma to get back to myself. I vowed never to buy Neutrogena products again.

Recently I went on vacation and used someone’s sunscreen spray not realizing it’s Neutrogena Beach Defense sunscreen. After two days use I got swolllen eyes and blotchy face and my entire body covered in itchy hives. I have never had hives or allergic reactions to anything else. I'M STILL SUFFERING ONE WEEK LATER as the hives are still not fully away and I’m still taking **. And lo and behold there are tons of reviews online of people having the same reactions to them. BEWARE!!! Neutrogena has harmful ingredients and THE COMPANY SHOULD CLOSE DOWN. Never buy anything from them.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I started using this acne facial wash with hydro boost water gel as Moisturizer 2 days ago, and now my face just had tiny red bumps and rashes (worst on my chin T.T) JUST LIKE THAT!! 2 ** days and now I cannot talk to anyone because it feels like they're looking at the rashes Neutrogena gave me. WON'T RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE. WASTE OF MONEY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?

Original review: March 24, 2019

On March 18, 2019, I went to Target to try this product the (Neutrogena facial cleansing bar). I read some reviews online with people saying it help with oily skin, and will have your face feeling really clean. I washed my face with this cleansing bar on March 18th the day, I bought it. It lathered good, and I washed my face with it before, I went to bed. The very next day when, I woke up my skin felt really tight. So I looked in the mirror, and my entire face was (RED, AND MY SKIN WAS LITERALLY BURNED)! I washed my face with cold water, and it was so raw that, I could barely touch it. I had red patches on the sides of my face, around my nose, over my entire chin, all over my jaws, and EVERYWHERE! I didn't know what to do so, I hurried up, and put ** on it. I noticed the next 2 days it still was barely healing, because it was literally scabbing up in DRY PATCHES. I kept it moisturized all day every day, but the ** wasn't healing it fast enough.

I googled all kinds of stuff to use, and that is when I found HUNDREDS OF HORRIBLE REVIEWS ABOUT THIS PRODUCT DAMAGING OTHER PEOPLE'S SKIN JUST LIKE IT DID MINE'S. So I immediately went to GNC, and purchased (Natural Brand-Filtered Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel), I went to T.J. MAXX to buy some (Rose Water-Hydrating Face Mist, with Hyaluronic Acid), and I went to Walmart to purchase: (Shea Moisture- Ultra Healing All-Over Hydration- 100% Raw Shea Butter). I immediately sprayed the rose water on my face in the car, and opened up the aloe gel, and put it on my face with my index finger. The aloe vera gel stings just a (little bit for 2 secs), but that is because it is killing the bacteria on your face. I immediately felt it work in seconds! I then rushed home to put the shea butter on my face and placed ** on top of it.

My face started healing immediately after 4 hours and looking at my face in the mirror those super red spots were fading! I even dapped my face with a paper towel to see if it was really working, and to look at it dry. OMG!!! The spots on my face are literally healing, and I'm going to repeat this regimen every day until my face heal all of the way up. Now I do know I have to keep some moisturizer on my face throughout the day at work so, I will use the (ROSE WATER MIST). So if any of you guys have been affected by the HORRIBLE PRODUCT THAT NEED TO BE TAKEN OFF OF THE MARKET ASAP! Please follow these steps to start your process of healing:

1) Spray your face with-(Rose Water-Hydrating Face Mist, with Hyaluronic Acid).
2) Rub your face with-(Natural Brand-Filtered Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel).
3) Rub your face with-(Shea Moisture- Ultra Healing All-Over Hydration- 100% Raw Shea Butter).

4) Rub your face with **.

I know everyone skin is different, but this is what is working for me. I was sooo embarrassed to even go anywhere with my face with red burned patches all over my face. Everyone staring at my face, and asking me what happened to it is just simply embarrassing. Not to mention, I have beautiful clear skin, but I just wanted to try something to help with it being so oily. I wish I would've found this website before, I even bought this product. Like my face is going to take a few weeks to heal like it should, and I don't even want to leave my house. That is how bad it is!!!

This product need to be BANNED FROM THE FDA, because it is damaging people's skin, and I'm quite sure worse than my situation! I used this product one time for one day, and now it is going to take weeks for my skin to heal properly! I regret ever buying this product, and I hope my regimen help hundreds of people who have suffered skin damage from (NEUTROGENA FACIAL CLEANSING BAR)! :)

Original review: March 20, 2019

Do not buy the grapefruit wash. I am a 21 year old male who previous had very minimal to no pimples. One maybe every few weeks. I bought this because my Stridex pads were out of stock. I used it twice, got a burning sensation both times so I stopped. 2 weeks later. I give it another whirl, the next day, my face is broken out, it burns and is painful, and also my hands even have some acne on them. Please take my advice and stay away.

Original review: March 13, 2019

I purchased this product to relieve dry skin on my face because I read “good reviews” online. After using one night before bed, I woke up with a few pimples. I thought nothing of it at the time. However, after 2 more applications, I woke up the following morning with hives all over my face. I have never had acne before - maybe a pimple every now and then. It is horrifying what has happened to my face. I am too embarrassed to leave my own home. I am seeing a dermatologist tomorrow who hopefully can repair what this product has done to me. Buyers beware!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Do NOT purchase the Neutrogena grapefruit wash! After purchasing, the next day my eyes were swollen, and my whole neck broke out in a rash! My skin is peeling really bad and my neck is burning. I had to go to the ER because I broke out so bad.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Bought Neutrogena pink grapefruit foaming scrub on Friday 2/22/19. By the next day my face felt irritated and eyes were swollen so me thinking it was allergies took allergy medicine. By Sunday my eyes were so swollen it looked like someone beat me and my skin under my eyes and on my cheeks were red burning and itching. I stopped using the product Sunday morning. When I started putting everything together and the only new thing I had done was buy this product. It is now Tuesday and it has not gotten better after reading reviews on this product I’ve come to a conclusion it must be a chemical burn. I look crazy and nothing is making it better so please be careful if you buy this product.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have used this brand for years and never had an issue until this product. I used this to wash my face and did not use any other products. I woke up the next morning with my face and neck red and burning and then turned into itching. It felt like a chemical burn or allergic reaction. Now I am on day four since the use of the product and I am still red and itchy all over my face and neck and including my eyelids. This is by far the worst product I have ever used. And after just one google search I found MANY women who have gone through the same thing! How are they still able to sell this product with such drastic reactions? Run away from this product and never ever ever buy it!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Facial mask left burn and small blisters on my daughters face! Terrible terrible terrible! Will never ever buy another Neutrogena product again! Buyers beware! I suppose you get what you pay for! As for myself, have never used any of their products. I only use high end products but my daughter is 1200 miles away at college and her and her girlfriends will go shopping and buy what’s available to them. It’s a shame that this happened and I will definitely buy and ship her the products she needs before she runs out so this will never happen again!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I purchased Neutrogena hydro boost hydrating serum with hyaluronic acid in it. Used it two nights on my face and it caused a rash. What is it? I'm surprised described for an I have a rash under both eyes. All its little red bumps under both eyes and I bought this stuff the other day and put on a vote of what two nights and now all this isn't what I was doing a review it’s gave me a rash. I have tiny red bumps under both eyes there and my skin is inflamed and red.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I bought this foundation thinking that it would help with the discoloration on my face left behind by acne scars. The claims are to "keep skin healthy and even tone and texture." It did the exact opposite. After a couple days of using it, my skin was cracked, scaly, and itchy. I looked at the ingredients: titanium dioxide, aluminum, and aluminum byproducts. Ingredients that you would find in ANTIPERSPIRANT. It sucked all of the moisture out of my face and left me red and splotchy. It's taken days of heavy moisturizing to repair my skin. Will never be purchasing their products of any kind ever again.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I bought the Neutrogena anti aging cream for fine lines and crow's feet. After using for 2 months, twice a day, I did not notice any difference. I tried to submit my comments with a 1 star rating and the company declined to post. I tried it again the next day with the same results. Beware of ANY company that will not let you post a negative review.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I have used Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes for many years without any problems. After my most recent purchase of a new package, I woke up with a red, puffy rash all over my face and neck. Nothing about my day-to-day routine had changed, so at first I didn't know what had caused the rash. Coincidentally, I was at home and didn't wear makeup for the next few days and the rash went away. The day after that, when I removed my makeup with a wipe again, I woke up with another rash. It was even worse this time! I will not be purchasing this product again.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have used this product before and never had a problem. I bought a bottle of it and used 2 days ago in the shower. I woke up the next day with my eyes almost completely shut and my whole face swollen and red. The swelling has gone down a little and my face is really dry now. The reviews seem to start with people having reactions this past year in November. Maybe it's a bad lot.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Horrible product and customer service. I went through Neutrogena's website to get any form of help with my displeasure on their garbage product and received none. An automated response was the only thing I received and a headache and rash from their scented horrendous products. Oil-free acne facewash is complete trash and also their spot treatment is even worse. It leaves your skin feeling worse and the smell makes me want to throw up. I read the ingredients and not to my surprise, it contained carcinogens as well. Naturally, they use the cheapest products to make a buck. Stay away from this terrible brand, opt for something that isn't just a money grab. I am absolutely appalled at their product and customer service. Stay far away!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I noticed a tingling. Thought, "Well ok." 2nd night same thing. Thought ok. 3rd night OMG burned so bad. Under my eyes and cheekbones hurt so bad. All swollen. Can't use anything on my face. So very upset. I feel so hurt by this product. Will never use Neutrogena again.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I bought Neutrogena face wash a few days ago for my teens. I decided to use it first. Washed my face... Went on with my day. Later that night I realized...my face had pimples...and small bumps. It had a bunch and dry patches. My skin never has problems. I've never been allergic to anything in my life so I just thought maybe it was a bit strong for me and the lotion I used after wasn't strong enough. So I washed it again adding oil. Later I realized I was itching and was swelling then I knew it was a reaction. Day 2 swollen. I took 1 **. Went to bed. This is day 3. I woke up. I'm swollen even more. My face itches. I returned everything to Walgreens yesterday and have been forced to pump myself with **. I look crazy. If it doesn't go down by today I will be forced to go to the doctor.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I was using the Neutrogena Refining pore exfoliating cleanser. Never had an issue. It was my go-to for the best skin I ever had. I was using it for so many years and somebody in the company decided to changed the formula. On the bottle it says new and improved. When I used that new and improved bottle I broke out. At first I thought it was me. Then I tried it again and broke out again. I contacted the company and they wanted me to call the hotline. I waited again for months to try it one more time before returning it or throwing it out (a waste of my money) and again I broke out with bumps all over my pores and face. I'm so glad I had a tube of Aveeno scrub and that is my go-to for now on. Why change a formula that works for so many people?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Used this product for two days. Woke up the second day my face was so swollen and burning itching feeling. I had to call into work. It’s so bad. This is really uncalled for. Neutrogena needs to do something. Like reimburse me for the day I had to miss off work and my doctor visit. I’m beyond mad.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I use little makeup, but washed my face with these Neutrogena Miceller Wipes, while traveling. My eyelids burned and became overly dry, irritated, and uncomfortable. Within about an hour, itchy bumps and scales began appearing on both eyelids. I was advised to take an **. It looks terrible, and continues to be itchy, and I’m going on several weeks dealing with the misery. I tried to warn users with a review on the Neutrogena website; however, my review was rejected and not published. I believe this is irresponsible and will now boycott their products. I hope consumers will be cautious using these wipes - and avoid this uncomfortable allergic reaction. Raised, lumpy, crusty, scales are painful, and concerning, so close to my eyes. Please beware! Just use water and a gentle dermatology-approved skin cleaner - or gentle soap. Forget these wipes! This misery is not worth the convenience of using this product.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I honestly wouldn’t wish this product on my worst enemy. After using this product the left side of my face went numb, my eye swelled up and intense migraine. I was on steroids for a week for my face! Never use this product!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Recently I had bought Neutrogena’s Oil-Free Acne Wash since it says ON THE BOTTLE #1 recommended right. WRONG! My face and eyes have been swollen for almost 2 days now. I have stopped using the product. I have only used it for a total of 2 days. First day I used it everything seemed great. I loved how soft feeling it was on my face. That morning I woke up, looked in the mirror and had broken out in acne 10xs the amount I went to bed with. Not only that but the face & eyes were so swollen even when I tried to fully open my eyes they were still tiny slits. Every person & skin type is different. But I should of definitely read the reviews on this product before purchasing! Now I am still icing my face & taking Benadryl to make the sweeping go down. What a complete nightmare this was????

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I liked using it until I read the full list of ingredients. It contains parabens. I wish I could finish the jar. But I am too afraid. I want a safe product to use on my skin. Please give me some advice.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

After using the Liquid oil-free eye makeup remover I experienced inflammation, burning/itching sensation and swelling of both eyes. I went to my doctor and am taking a tapered dose of **. Buyer beware!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

While this product seems to do the job fairly well, it's the dispenser that doesn't work properly and causes a consumer to not want to buy this product. It's very difficult to open the dispenser without actually breaking it. I attempted to leave a review on their website, where I noticed quite a few similar complaints from other customers asking for assistance on how to open the product. After I wrote my review, it appeared it went through a review stage. And I received an email from Neutrogena that stated they wouldn't publish my review because it didn't meet the website guidelines with no other info.

However, my review was similar to others and was actually kinder than any of the other reviews on their site which complained about the dispenser mechanism. If you can't leave an improvement suggestion on a company's site, how will improvements happen? I can only assume they simply pick and choose the reviews they will publish based on what they feel a consumer should know about their products.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I bought the face wash to treat acne, knowing that Neutrogena is a well known brand. First time, I used at night before I went to bed. Woke up next morning with my skin really tight and dry. The acne looked better, so I assumed the dryness was a part of the treatment. By the evening it was starting to get itchy, blotchy and inflamed. Next day, skin looked really inflamed with red hives, and painful and itchy. Near the mouth area it is starting to peel. I usually check reviews before I buy, first time I made a mistake of not checking reviews. :-(

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I've been trying to be in contact with a customer rep for 4 days straight by giving them emails and calls but they never answered! I placed an order 9 days ago but they haven't given me any updates about the order. They literally have the worst customer care service.

Neutrogena expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1930 as the cosmetics company Natone, Neutrogena is today part of the Johnson & Johnson Conglomerate, which bought the independent company Neutrogena in 1994. The company is known for being dermatologist recommended, and their product line includes skin care, cosmetics and sun care.

• Great for acne-prone skin: Neutrogena is best known for solving acne problems for men and women. They have moisturizers, cleansers, kits and cosmetics for facial and body acne.

• Widely available: Consumers can buy Neutrogena products online or in most major drugstores and pharmacies. Price conscious consumers can enjoy an extra discount and coupons when they sign up for Neutrogena’s email newsletter.

• Anti-aging: Women who are concerned with the appearance of their skin as they age can shop for a wide range of anti-aging products on Neutrogena’s website. Choose the product that works best for your anti-aging concern, whether it’s wrinkles, defense, pore refining, toning or microdermabrasion.

• Free shipping and returns: Consumers can enjoy free shipping on all Neutrogena orders placed directly from the company’s website that are $25 or more. Enjoy a full refund (minus shipping costs) for items returned within 30 days of the shipping date.

• Active Facebook community: Neutrogena’s Facebook page is very active, and the company posts information about skin-related topics, such as skin cancer and acne. They respond publicly and privately to consumer questions and complaints.

• Best for: Neutrogena is best for women with acne and women seeking anti-aging skincare and cosmetic products.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs