Neutrogena

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I started using the Neutrogena Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Wash around 3 days ago & noticed that my skin was extremely dry and flaky. Not realising it was the product I used it again. Today on the third day of use my neck is very red and sore almost like a chemical burn. (Thank goodness I tested it only on my neck rather than my whole face!)

I bought Neutrogena SPF 60 Ultra Sheer sunscreen with helioplex. Put some on Friday morning. By Friday evening my face began swelling with huge water bags under my eyes. I had blotches and hives only over the neck and face where I used it. I went to hospital next morning, got hydrocortisone cream and now have to get an emergency dermatologist appt. I'm suppose to be going on vacation in 5 days and feel like crying. I look like a monster. Even if the eye and facial swelling goes down it'll be a long while for the burned skin to heal. It's like a chemical burn. I don't know if my skin will ever recover. Never buy Neutrogena. If only I'd looked at reviews it would have been plain and obvious this stuff is not consumer worthy.

I purchased Neutrogena foaming cleaner and it broke my face out. I have had burning and itching on my face. My face peeled and it was a horrible experience. I no longer use the product but my face feels horrible. I have never in my adult life had such horrible skin and on my face! This really angers me and is very upsetting why is this still in the stores. I wish I could give no stars... One star is too many.

DONT USE Neutrogena face wash!!! Holy heck!!! Yesterday I woke up with this horrible, red, sandpaper like rash. Like Little, tiny bumps all over my face and neck!!! Incredibly painful. No makeup on the planet could cover it! Ok, ok example: take your face and stick it in acid and pull it out. Wallah!!! You have the fresh face melt look!!! I had no idea what it was. So me being the Researcher I am... or am obviously not, took symptoms to google... first thing that popped up was 367 complaints on Neutrogena face wash from chemical burns!!! WTH!! I told my husband, "you know I'm sick of spending a fortune on facial cleanser. I'm going to buy the inexpensive stuff. It has great reviews. I bet it will work fine!!?"

Rant, rant, rant!!! I'm never buying the cheap stuff again and I will be leaving reviews everywhere I can to save the next poor soul from this incredibly painful experience. I can literally say I'm melting??? I couldn't find these bad reviews until I typed in the issues. Great reviews were coming up when typing in the product. That's ridiculous. People need to know the severity of using these cleansers. I'm literally stuck at home with my face burning, itching and flaking off.

I decided to try this scrub that I found at the drugstore and since I have sensitive skin I figured this scrub would be good because it's "natural". It says it has no harsh chemicals or anything like that. I started using it about 2 days ago and I realized today when I was washing it, my face seemed like it was burning a little bit so I didn't think anything of it. I thought maybe it was just burning a little because it's cleaning? I don't know. Now I come to realize my face is worse now, burning SO BAD it feels and looks like a sunburn. My face is swollen and I can't touch it at all. It feels horrible. I can't even apply makeup because it feels so tender. I applied apple cider vinegar because it helps sunburns and I figured it would also help this burn. And then I applied Coconut oil. It feels much better now but after seeing all these reviews I hope I don't wake up tomorrow with my eyes shut! I will never buy their products again!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Neutrogena?

Neutrogena makeup liquid - Well I bought this product thinking it would be great. Much to my surprise it was horrible. It will not spread evenly on my face at all. It made my face blotchy. Makeup here and there. I tried everything a sponge, my finger, and even the dry pad. Then I'm thinking maybe a soft tissue nothing work. One day I was getting in the car driving with a friend. She said to me, "What's wrong with your face. It's all blotchy." I looked in the mirror. Oh my God. I had to get a tissue out of my bag to get it off my face. It was a mess. At one point it had got on my sink. I couldn't get it off my sink. It's spread. I had to use bleach and go over them few times.

I chose to buy Neutrogena's oil free grapefruit facial cleanser and facial cream because I have occasional adult acne flare ups. Neutrogena products have good reviews online so that was the deciding factor in my purchases. However, after 3 wks of believing I am having an allergic reaction to either some food or environmental factor I stumbled upon these Consumer Affairs reviews. I am shocked to see so many reviews from people who have used these same products and describe the exact same symptoms that I am experiencing. I am wondering if Neutrogena will refund the money I spent?

After recently buying Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub I started feeling very itchy after only 2 uses. After day 3 my itchy skin turned into a rash all over my body. This product states it prevents breakouts but that couldn't be any further than the truth! I've used their products in the past but never had this type of reaction. I ruled everything else out, since this was the only new product I started using in quite a while. Obviously it doesn't affect everyone this way but I would recommend trying a small section on your body before using this product on your entire body. I'm glad however that I didn't use it in my face.

I'm very angry. When you buy a product that is hypoallergenic, is for that reason. The allergic reaction was redness all over my face, burning, itchiness, swollen cheeks and the eyelids, that was the worse. I can barely open my eyes from the swollen eyelids. This is not hypoallergenic and reading all the horror histories I doubt this is dermatological tested. People use this on their faces Neutrogena! The most delicate skin in the body. I no longer trust you or your dermatologists.

My face looks exactly like Julia from Durham, NH's. I used Neutrogena Deep Clean facial cleanser a few days after Christmas and within days both eyes were puffy and water blisters appeared on my cheeks and now my face is raw, red and flaking. I had to go to my PCP and she provided me with a prescription for **. How is it these products are still on the market and that there isn't a class action lawsuit with all of these people experiencing the same results?

I had the most awful, terrible experience with Neutrogena visibly clear Pore and shine daily scrub, the Pink grapefruit oil free moisturizer and the facial wash. I bought these products a month ago from a local store... and I regret it. My entire life I have never had any skin problems up until I started using these garbage products. I noticed a week after using the scrub and the pink grapefruit facial wash, my skin suddenly became flaky and dry. I then bought the Pink grapefruit moisturizer, it actually made it worse. I have black bumps all over the sides of my face and on the chin too. It's not going away. Neutrogena products should just be removed from the market. Considering my personal experience and other reviews I saw here, I will just throw all this poisonous stuff into the bin. Otherwise handing it down to someone would be tantamount to witchcraft on the highest level.

I've used this product Pore cleansing scrub before and loved it but recently I tried it again. When I first put it on, my skin burned and I rinsed it off. My skin is covered in red bumps but it's starting to get worse after I used ** cream. That made my skin worse and so I put cold water on it and it started to go down. Thanks Neutrogena...appreciate that allergic reaction.

I don't have acne, but I do have tiny little bumps, so I thought I'd give Neutrogena's Oil-Free (this is why...) Pink Grapefruit Scrub. Within minutes after washing it off of my face I began to feel burning, my cheeks felt hot to the touch. I got into the shower, and after getting out I looked in the mirror to see every area I used it on bright red and swollen and then began to feel like I was being stabbed by tiny little needles all over my face. The pain is terrible. It wasn't until after trying to find out why it was happening that I found so many reviews similar to my experience on this product. I don't understand how this is still on the market! I wish I had looked it up prior to using it! But Neutrogena boasts about its dermatologist recommended garbage that I thought I could trust it. I don't think I'll ever try another product from them again after this. I fear for my skin.

Christmas order made almost 4 weeks before Christmas. It never came. When I called Customer Service (twice) received HORRIBLE customer service. No explanation except possibly a "glitch" in the system and "It could have been anything." No effort to rectify the situation... just extremely snarky attitudes. I've used these products for years and years. NO MORE!!! I'm telling all of my friends and relatives, too.

I have never had any problems with Neutrogena products until now. I recently purchased this face wash and after using it this morning my face started peeling... burning... itching... flaking... My cheeks are red and swollen, my eyes are burning and beginning to swell. I really wish I would have checked the reviews on this product before buying it because my face is literally in hell right now. I honestly thought it was my makeup or something I had touched at work but after doing some research I quickly discovered the culprit. Please please PLEASE test this Cleanser before you use it just in case you have a reaction as well. This is horrible and I'm disappointed in Neutrogena for the first time in years. Why are they still selling this product when there are so many people having the same reaction? You have broken my trust in your products. Congrats.

I bought the product Neutrogena oil-free acne wash on Sunday and used it because my sister had HIGHLY praised it so I decided to give it a try. The first night was fine. On Monday it was great too. Tuesday I noticed my skin getting bright red, and itchy. I didn't itch it of course, and didn't know the cause, so I put moisturizer on. Moisturizer did not cure the dryness. I should've read reviews before purchasing the product. Now I have been having to go to school with somewhat of a burn all over my face. It is almost like a sunburn, but I never went in the sun. My face feels tight, itchy, and uncomfortable, and I absolutely hate it. I don't know how to make it go away.

I am BEYOND pissed about my recent experience with Neutrogena's rain bath body wash. I have been using neutrogena for years so I'm confused as to what the problem is with this product. I have chemical burn all over my face which on day one and two burned so bad that I cried. By day 3 and 4 my skin was bumpy, red, sore, dry and peeling. Day 5 the peeling along with bumps spread. By day 6 my face is a mess and now itches and burns. It's so bad that I am going to see a dermatologist then a lawyer!

Neutrogena Pink Grapefruit Acne wash - my 14 yr old daughter starting using this item. 3rd day she woke up in extreme pain. She had suffered what appeared to be a chemical burn. It took a week and actually spread over her cheeks. The images are the day I called the company before it had spread. It peeled and everything like a sunburn except we didn't go on vacation. Someone is more than welcomed to contact me. This is an obvious problem that is more than an allergic reaction. I will be forwarding to the state AG office. They sent us a $1 off and $3 dollar off coupon for the trouble with a refund check for the product of $9.

I purchased this product (NEUTROGENA Oil Free Acne Wash) earlier this past week. I used it on Thanksgiving and later that night and Friday morning my face was red and itchy and had bumps on it. I didn't even think about using the product. Then Friday night I took a shower from my face being so itchy. I used the product again and it made my face even worse. I will never recommend this product to any nor ever use it again. I will definitely read reviews from now on before I try something.

I purchased this face wash on Friday and used it that night. I used it again Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night I started seeing some bumps all over my face. My face is dry, tight and itchy. I wish I would of read the reviews before purchasing this product. Neutrogena should be ashamed of themselves as a big company. There are several and if not maybe a hundred or so bad complaints about this product. Everyone is complaining about the same problem. So why is this product still on the market? Stay away from this. Its garbage!!! And will have your skin looking Worst THAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT!!

I first used Neutrogena oil-free acne wash yesterday, Friday Nov. 11, 2016 at around 6pm and it's Saturday Nov 12, 2016 10pm and my face is dry!! It burns so bad and it's really red! My face looks like it's breaking out worse than it was before I used it and it's really noticeable! I read the low star comments of people's experience and now I'm scared because I don't want my face to look even worse tomorrow and the day after because I go to school!!! My neck also feels really dry and I never used Neutrogena on my neck! I just want to crawl up in a corner and cry. :(

In 39 yrs, I have never had acne or skin blemishes in my face and I do not wear make up. Recently I noticed I have pimples under my eyes and a friend recommended that I use this face scrub. It was the worst decision of my life. I used this product for a week and under my eyes and cheek areas on both sides of my face are full of painful, large pimples for almost a month. There are also several large dark spots. I am afraid to put anything on my face but water. My husband says I look sick and can't believe my beautiful dark skin looks so bad now. Well for the past week I have been wearing cover up on my face just to go to work and not be stared at and that barely works.

I used this facial cleanser for two nights before going to bed. After the first night, my acne seemed to be gone but in its place I had some itchy redness and my skin felt strangely dry. Nevertheless, encouraged by the acne's disappearance, I applied the cleanser again the next night. BIG mistake. My whole face looks as though it is badly sunburnt and my skin feels scaly like nothing I have ever experienced before. Sure, the original acne is gone, but now I have tiny red bumps all over my face.

Nothing I have tried using to soothe the skin has worked so far, and it feels like the worst kind of sunburn - actually very painful. After reading these reviews, I think I am going to try aloe vera. However, it is incredible to me that such a well-known company like Neutrogena is apparently selling *multiple* products which cause people to have unsightly and painful reactions like mine and the reactions others have described. I will never again use a Neutrogena product and don't recommend that others do, either.

Decided to try a new face wash and chose Neutrogena for a change, which I will regret for a long time. I woke up with a patchy, red, swollen eye... followed by the rest of my face being covered in tiny itchy bumps. The texture of my skin is scaly, like chapped lips. My eyes burn every time I blink. Horrifying! I even don't feel well physically... lethargic, sleepy. This is only the first day, and I pray it doesn't get worse. I'm also horrified now finding so many reviews like mine across this site and the Web. This needs to stop! This is unacceptable! Neutrogena needs to take ownership of the damage they are causing to so many consumers! Stay away from this brand!

I buy the Ultra Gentle Face Cleanser and I love it. Been using it for about 1 year. I went to buy the pore refining toner and the face cream with spf in it. I used these products for my daily face routine so I used it 3 times. This is not including the cleanser because like I said it works well for my face. I woke up this morning and my face was red, itchy, burning. Little white and red dry pimples all over my forehead and a patches all over my face. These products hurt my skin and I can't seem to make it go away. I tried everything - is rinsing my face with cold water, aloe Vera, calamine lotion and it's still there. It feels like a dry sunburn. I'm frustrated and my face looks like crap. I'm going to get my money back and hopefully my skin heals fast. :( Very sad. Please the people from this company take the time to read and RECALL these products. They are not safe.

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Scrub, Pink Grapefruit - Bought this to try to clear up a breakout before a big event in a couple weeks. Used before going to bed 3 nights ago. Woke up with one eye completely swollen shut and the rest of my face was so swollen I was hardly recognizable. Have taken ** and that has not yet touched it. Dr. is prescribing **. I'm hoping the swelling and redness go down soon. I look like I've been beaten. My poor BF is getting glares when we go out.

I had the worst experience with a facial cleanser ever. I used Neutrogena deep clean facial cleanser. My face turned red immediately. It looked like a sunburn and looked haggard. My skin is on fire. It itches and it hurts. Today is the 3rd and my face still feels the same. I returned the product to the store I purchased it from. But the damage is done to my skin. Note to self: stay away from Neutrogena. I will not take a change again.

About two weeks ago I decided to try Neutrogena Pore Refining toner & their "healthy skin" face lotion. When I first put it on it stung a little but I didn't pay much mind to it thinking that's how the toner worked. After the toner I put on the face lotion because it had spf & I was going out. At first it was fine but then throughout the day I started noticing tiny bumps on my face. When I got home & washed my face & I looked in in the mirror I was horrified! My face was swollen, red & had a ton of tiny, white, zit looking bumps.

I tried some home remedies but nothing helped. I went to the dermatologist which told me it was an allergic reaction. He gave me some hydrocortisone cream to see if it will help - it didn't. It caused me to break out more. A few days later my skin started getting extremely dry & scaly. I couldn't wear makeup or put anything on my face. Everything stung!!! It was so painful & extremely itchy! I have been miserable to say the least. Here I am 10 days later & STILL have this terrible allergy. Seems like I'm not the only one who's had this kind of reaction. These products should be banned!!! Neutrogena is by far the worst product line in the market.

I too have experienced a major Breakout from Neutrogena Grapefruit acne wash. I'm currently treating my skin with natural home remedies to get my skin back to its normal state. Never will I ever recommend anything by Neutrogena. This company should definitely be sued for false advertisement.

I tried the grapefruit Neutrogena face wash a while ago and ended up with what I guess is an allergic reaction but really it felt like a chemical burn on my face. My face turned red and puffy and anything I put on to soothe... stung. Eventually it did subside and flake like sunburn. Fast forward about a year later, I forget about the experience and while staying at a friend's house, I used the green Neutrogena face wash they had. Ended up with the same chemical burn like with the grapefruit wash. Same burning sensation, same red puffiness and now the same dry flaking of skin like sunburn.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1930 as the cosmetics company Natone, Neutrogena is today part of the Johnson & Johnson Conglomerate, which bought the independent company Neutrogena in 1994. The company is known for being dermatologist recommended, and their product line includes skin care, cosmetics and sun care.

• Great for acne-prone skin: Neutrogena is best known for solving acne problems for men and women. They have moisturizers, cleansers, kits and cosmetics for facial and body acne.
  • Widely available: Consumers can buy Neutrogena products online or in most major drugstores and pharmacies. Price conscious consumers can enjoy an extra discount and coupons when they sign up for Neutrogena’s email newsletter.
  • Anti-aging: Women who are concerned with the appearance of their skin as they age can shop for a wide range of anti-aging products on Neutrogena’s website. Choose the product that works best for your anti-aging concern, whether it’s wrinkles, defense, pore refining, toning or microdermabrasion.
  • Free shipping and returns: Consumers can enjoy free shipping on all Neutrogena orders placed directly from the company’s website that are $25 or more. Enjoy a full refund (minus shipping costs) for items returned within 30 days of the shipping date.
  • Active Facebook community: Neutrogena’s Facebook page is very active, and the company posts information about skin-related topics, such as skin cancer and acne. They respond publicly and privately to consumer questions and complaints.
  • Best for Neutrogena is best for women with acne and women seeking anti-aging skincare and cosmetic products.

Compare Makeup Brands