Maybelline Cosmetics

L'Oreal

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I use the eye care products that bring out the beauty of the natural eye. I love the mascara that darkens and separates each eye lash. When the product is applied at the right angles, I notice that my eyes appear to sparkle. Perhaps it is my opinion, but I like it. Additionally, this company makes the colors that bring out the best in me. I look better in certain colors and many companies do not carry what I need. However, Maybelline makes the shades that work best for me and I will continue to use their products as long as I can. Thanks for a great product.

I used Maybelline purple eyeliner on my eyes and within a matter of 2 hours my eye was itching. In a matter of 5 hours swollen watery and both eyes look like I have pink eye or something wrong. Infection bad.

I've used the Age Rewind forever and never had a problem but I decided to switch up my concealer and wanted to try the Fit Me. First time using didn't seem to have a problem but the second time I noticed a burning sensation which is an automatic red flag for me. I didn't use it again. When I woke up the next day I noticed tightness on my face, seemed a bit dry and red. It has now been 3 days and it has just gotten worse. My cheeks are swollen. My face is extremely itchy. Thankfully I have an appointment with my doctor in the morning hoping to get some relief. I will not purchase another Maybelline product ever again.

Decided to try some new foundation so I picked out the Velvet Dream. That night my face was itching and I had bumps all over it. I've never had issues with any make-up products. That night I decided it was the new foundation. I thoroughly washed my face and haven't put anything on it since. Two days later and my face is still not back to normal. I immediately discontinued use and threw it in the garbage where it will remain. What is going on Maybelline?

I have used Maybelline products for over 40 years and never had a problem. Recently I have bought new mascara and eye makeup remover. I broke out in a horrible rash under my eyes. The rash then moved to my top eyelids. Itchy and burning. I went to my ophthalmologist, dermatologist and internist and through a process of elimination discovered it was my Maybelline eye products. I will be notifying all my Doctors so they too can pass along suggestions to future patients. I strongly suggest Maybelline reconsider their new formulas, especially after reading all these negative reviews.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maybelline?

I have happily used this product for several years. However, my latest purchase has resulted in my eyes burning and tearing badly about 20 minutes after I've applied it. At first I thought maybe it was something in the air, but after the reaction I had again this morning (My third application) there's no longer any doubt that it's the eyeliner.

I have been using Maybelline products for many years. After more than a year of unusual burning skin rashes on my face and neck and literally TEN different allergists and dermatologists, I finally concluded all this is due to the products I have used for so long. I went on vacation where it was VERY hot. We spent a lot of time in the pool so I didn't wear any makeup for a solid week. It was the first time I have been completely clear in more than a year! As soon as I started my normal routine again, the terrible skin condition came back. I now have to find other products, which is so hard to do and very costly. Maybelline, what did you do??? Sadly a former customer...

I absolutely love the Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless foundation. The formula is great and it blends well. I decided to try the Fit Me concealer and that was a big no-no. The 1st time I used it under my eyes it burned. I just thought my skin was sensitive that day. The 2nd time I used it the concealer burned me again and I knew it was the concealer then because I had on a different foundation. I am not sure what ingredient irritates my skin but it's one of them... Shame on you Maybelline for using your customers for test rats!

I have been using Maybelline Superstay Better Skin foundation for approximately six months with no problems. I ran out and recently purchased a replacement bottle. I started developing a red and itchy rash on my face. I didn't think it was from the foundation at first since I'd been using it with no problems. I was put on steroid cream by my dermatologist along with antihistamine pills. The rash would get a little better, but once I stopped the steroid cream it would come back. My face was bright red, scaly and itchy, with hives! My face swelled up so much I could barely open my eyes!

I finally figured out through a process of elimination that it was from the foundation. Argh! It looks like I'm not the only one either after reading other posts. I've contacted Maybelline and reported my experience. I've never had an allergic reaction to any cosmetics and even got an allergy patch test in my search for what was causing it. Just take a look at my pictures! It was awful. It was almost like a chemical burn that would itch and burn. My whole face peeled off. I'm only writing this in hopes I can save someone else from going through what I just did. Don't use this foundation!

If you're obsessed with makeup videos on YouTube then you are aware of the amount of women on there who advocate and praise this product. Claiming it to be the best concealer they've ever purchased. I decided after many months to finally make my purchase. After my first application I noticed the next morning that my under eye area had a dry red rash like my skin had been burned, as well as some eyelid swelling. I have NEVER had an allergic reaction from drugstore makeup before. So, I thought maybe it was just a fluke and maybe I had gotten too much sun that day.

Well, after my second application a couple months later my eyes swole up again!!! I'm so disappointed in this company and women everywhere need to be notified. I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin because I've NEVER had a problem purchasing drugstore makeup. Maybelline has changed their formula or has done something to their product and has not alerted their consumers. SHAME oN YOU Maybelline. I will never purchase another product from them.

Whatever new formula they are using in the Ultra Liner waterproof eyeliner is definitely causing eyelid problems. I have used Maybelline for over 10 years and have never had a problem. Along with many of the other reviews in reference to this particular reaction, my eyes swell as well a couple hours after applying it. Never using any of their products again.

Applied this foundation a couple of times and noticed my skin became oily. A few days later I broke out in hundreds of white pustules along with redness, swelling, pain and itchiness. Never ever using anything from Maybelline again. I am very disappointed with this product as well as the company.

I used this product two days ago and immediately it started to burn my skin and the next day my face was swollen and had blotchy red spots all over it and still does and the swelling is worse! Never again will I use any of their products!!!

Bought the Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Precise liquid eyeliner. I applied it and everything was fine. Wore it through the whole day. At night I started feeling my eyes real heavy. I thought I was just tired. The next morning when I woke up I could not open my eyes. I went to the restroom and noticed my eyes were super swollen and red. Had to go to work like that and now throughout the day my eyes are still a bit swollen and that's that I took an allergy medicine. My eyes feel super itchy. Never again.

I do like the Mousse foundation. The Maybelline product is widely available. All makeup brands use the same type of model. A young woman to advertise the products. However I am in my mid 40s. Makeup companies need to do more to enhance products for different age groups. Imagine if Maybelline etc. did a category for over 40s with makeup that really targeted the problems of 40 year olds and above. Loss of moisture and elasticity means some of these mousse foundations are not suitable for this skin. Makeup companies need to realize that women are all ages, shapes and colors. Makeup needs to be more personal.

I've used the same brand of Maybelline eyeliner for going on 5 years. However, recently I bought a brand new tub of eyeliner and within 5 minutes of applying my eyes were swelling shut. I had to go to the doctor as a result plus miss work, which I have the doctor's note proving. It is now two weeks later and I'm still on medication waiting for the swelling to be completely gone. I've also been trying to contact the company repeatedly however they keep sending me a number to call which always happens to be conveniently busy or out of service. I am very displeased and am not going to stop until someone acknowledges this. Obviously they either changed their product without alerting the consumer or they are packaging expired/bad products. This is unacceptable and after experiencing what I did I should not be playing cat and mouse with this company.

Li here, I have heard that Maybelline Baby Skin Instant pore eraser is one of the best in the market, so I after a few months from not using any I decided not to go back to the one I used before and bought myself Maybelline Instant pore eraser. Immediately after using it, I noticed that my vision went blurry especially on my left eye. I thought it might be nothing so when I got to work I wiped it off and my left eye was left with a haze. I skipped 3 days, though vision on my left eye had remained blurry. I then tried it again this morning and the same thing happened and I wiped it off immediately and my vision became poorer.

I have never had a problem with drugstore makeup brands but one week ago I started using Maybelline's FIT concealer. After a few days I started noticing bumps all over my face. They became itchy and red and I cannot seem to get rid It. I started doing my research and I have found people have had the same problem as me! I will never use Maybelline again. Awful experience!

I have been using Ultra liner for a long time. Recently I notice when I remove the makeup my eyelids are swollen red and very sensitive with a burning sensation. I'm unable to apply any makeup for a day.

I usually do not write reviews of this nature – however, I'm hoping it will help someone else. I purchased Maybelline Master Kajal about six month ago. I used it while on vacation in a developing country. When I suddenly got an eye infection, I thought it was a result of SOMETHING from the country I was visiting. However, two days ago I used the eyeliner again because it went with my outfit and all of a sudden I got a very nasty eye infection again – mirroring what happened when I was on vacation. My eyes became very red and yellowish mucus formed. There was so much mucus the morning after use that my eyes were actually sealed closed. I had to use water to closely open my eyes. Once I got them opened, they were swollen and looked like I have pinkeye. I did a Google search and realized other people were having similar problems. As a result, I decided to share my experience.

So like 5 years ago I started using Define a Brow to fill in my very sparse brows. About a year ago I finally switched to an organic one and wow! What a difference. Now whenever I am forced to use the Maybelline my head hurts so bad, my face feels tingly and my eyes hurt too. So apparently I had just gotten used to it over the years. I never liked using it because of the chemicals and parabens they use. That's why I finally switched to an organic one. I feel like they should switch out their harmful chemicals. My hair hasn't grown back at all. I worry that it's because of all of the chemicals from the Define a Brow. Use organic if you can. I like the Tarte brand personally (amazonian clay). Doesn't give me a headache.

I've never had a reaction to any product before. The instant I put this on, it burned. I immediately took it off with makeup remover. I have red burns under my eyes! I'm so upset. I will never buy anything from Maybelline again.

I have been using Maybelline eyeliner since I was 12 (my mom went to work before I left for school...hehe) and I am 66 now. I have never developed a rash, I have never had any problems with it and I will continue till I meet my mom again in heaven. I just started using 24 hour super stay lipstick and while I agree with most I read here, it no way lasts 24 hour. I really feel they should change the name to 12 hour because that is about it but either that or lower the price 50%. I pay about $10 a shot for a container that doesn't last that long but it beats the frustration of having to apply and reapply others over and over during the day... Better than most I can honest say.

I recently buy the Maybelline 24 hour staying lipstick and used it for the first time and it destroyed my lips. I have cuts and blisters on my lips and it is extremely painful. They're also very swollen so when speaking it is very mumbled now.

I have been using Maybelline Mascara for at least 30 years. Recently I bought a replacement. The shape and size of the brush is different. "Oh well," I thought. I have been using it for two weeks and noticed immediately that my eyes became red and looked like I had pink eye. Very irritating like I had something in my eye. Didn't make the connection at first. Have stopped using the mascara and my eyes are better. I wonder if I have done permanent damage. Will be going to an eye doctor shortly.

I bought this product because I heard so many good reviews about it. I started using this as soon as I purchased it. A couple of days later I started getting itchy around my eye area and around my cheeks. A week passed and I started getting little blotches around my temples. They were very itchy. I just thought it was the sun and me sweating. Until I realized the only new product I was using for my face was the foundation. The foundation gave me a weird reaction. I have never gotten any kind of allergic reaction to any facial product. I know now that I am never using Maybelline's products ever again.

I have been buying Maybelline 24hr stay for 4 years now, wearing it daily. Never had any issues, always got compliments which was awesome... Till recently I have gone to buy my foundation and noticed it's in a new bottle stating new formula :$ not happy. Since I have been buying the new and improved 24 hr stay I find... I am now buying twice the amount I was with the old formula. HATE the pump lid rather than just pouring it out. By the end of the day it's worn off in sections on my face (never had that problem before). I find it extremely hard to blend it as it always looks blotchy and different colored, rubs on to clothes badly....? WHY CHANGE SOMETHING FANTASTIC for CRAP!!!

I've bought Maybelline cosmetics lately and was surprised. It's very affordable and can be used for everyday wear. I got their blush 'em and I like the shade of the one that I chose - it just gives me the right amount of glow on my cheeks and can be worn on the day to work and even at night when you're out on dates. I also bought their brow define + fill duo. I like the color of the deep brown. It's not that strong when used but can give you much needed definition on your brows. It's also very easy to use and glide over your brows. If you are looking for makeup that won't hurt your pocket, buy Maybelline. It's not that bad at all.

I bought Maybelline Eyeliner last month on 11 May 2016 from a Department Store - Kamdhenu in Andheri West. I have not used/applied the product once and it has dried up and not working. IS this kind of products being sold/supplied by the Maybelline Brand???

I bought Maybelline black eyeliner of the Maybelline midnight series. I do not use eyeliner on an everyday basis but occasionally. I have used other eyeliners in the past that has not had any such adverse effect. I found it very harmful. After wearing the eyeliner, I started developing pain around the eyelids and head gradually. Led to migraines. Did not realize that the pain was due to the eyeliner the very first time I used it. But after a month when I used again, I realized the only reason I could get eye pain was due to this eyeliner. Have never had this problem ever before.

Even after having medicines, the pain seemed to subdue very slowly. Pain persists on the eyelid area. It takes very long to overcome it. It has been a very horrible experience for me. I researched about the product and I believe that some of the chemicals being used are causing this problem. I am surprised that such a leading brand could sell a product that is not well tested. Please do not buy this product for your own good health.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Maybelline revolutionized eyelashes when Mabel Williams first started experimenting with extending her eyelashes in 1915. They are still known for their mascara, and they also produce and sell face creams, foundation, powder, blush, primer, lip products, nail polish and other cosmetic products and tools. Consumers can find Maybelline products online and at popular retailers globally.

• Makeup Explorer: Use Maybelline’s Makeup Explorer tool on their website to find your perfect makeup match. Narrow your results based on the type of product you are looking for, your trouble areas and your desired finish.
  • Video lessons: Learn top tips and tricks for applying makeup by watching videos on Maybelline’s website. Their video library has over 50 lessons, which are all available for free.
  • Makeup trends: Stay up-to-date on all the latest makeup trends by visiting Maybelline’s website or by subscribing to their email newsletter. Email subscribers receive frequent updates on the latest news and trends in the makeup industry.
  • Get featured on Instagram: Use #mnyitlook on Instagram for your chance to be featured on Maybelline’s Instagram feed. See how real women wear Maybelline’s products.
  • Budget friendly: Maybelline products are affordable, and they are available in drugstores and super stores nationwide.
  • Best for Maybelline cosmetics are best for budget-savvy women looking for a great mascara.

Compare Makeup Brands