1.50/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 11, 2018

147 Maybelline Cosmetics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 11, 2018

I purchased the tattoo eyebrow from Maybelline and followed the instructions. Worked ok not brilliant, and later that afternoon started to get a itchy rash. Took off my makeup and applied e45. Woke up the next morning to a swollen face and eyes and a angry itchy rash over my face and eyes, had to go and buy allergy tablets to try and help!! Would not recommend this product!! This is the first time I have used their products and definitely will be the last time.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Their color choices are great and I have never had the mascara smear or smudge. The base makeup doesn't feel like you’re wearing a mask, but feels fresh and they have a wonderful array of lipstick colors that match almost everyone’s skin color.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have been using Maybelline mousse for years now. Mousse has been the only makeup that fits my skin tone and blends well. Recently, I've bought it and it have my eyes and face very irritated with rash and gives and burning. I washed my face numerous times and I've been on ** for a week. It's sad that these companies put harmful ingredients in their products. I will no longer be using their products. Disgusted!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

In searching for a new foundation for mature skin, FIT Me Dewy + Smooth was one of two brands that came highly recommended - and the first one I tried. I'm 51 years old and frequently mistaken for a 30-something. My skin tone is uneven, blemish-free, no blackheads, small pores, slight redness across the bridge of my nose and cheeks and I inherited dark circles under my eyes. Not knowing what to expect the first time, I cleansed my face as usual, skipped moisturizer, applied my usual primer - and after 10 minutes or so (my usual wait time between applications) I applied FIT Me Dewy + Smooth. While the foundation had a slight-medium thickness coming out of the bottle, the same definitely was not true when applied to my face - it felt so lightweight.

This foundation was easy to apply and blend and felt like silk once set. Without powder. The coverage was even and my skin actually looked 'dewy' - a term I thought was simply an overused marketing ploy - which was a very nice surprise! FIT Dewy + Smooth lasted all day which, for me, was a first. In fact, my face still looked 'dewy' until I washed it just before going to bed! The second morning, I used moisturizer after cleansing and primer before foundation. Everything was the same as the day before - except it didn't last all day. I skipped moisturizer on day three and, just as I had suspected, it made a huge difference. The foundation again lasted until bedtime. LOVE this product - and I will definitely recommended to friends! I am now searching for under eye coverage, any recommendations? P.S. I didn't bother trying the second foundation. FIT Dewy + Smooth is amazing!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

This past New Year's, 2017, I purchased two new eyeshadows manufactured by Maybelline, New York: Color Tattoo Concentrated Crayon Eyeshadow. I applied them, as directed -- and have worn cosmetics my entire life. Unfortunately, at the New Year's Party, my eyes began to feel dry and sore, as if I had been punched in both eyes. When I got home both eyelids were swollen. I removed all the make-up, put some cold compresses on my lids, which relieved the discomfort, and went to sleep. The next morning, my eyelids were red, puffy, itchy and one eyelid had a small bubble on it. Fortunately, I got an appointment with my dermatologist that afternoon and she prescribed a steroid-based salve, which relieved the allergic symptoms, BUT it took a full 4 weeks for the redness and itching to go away. Consumers beware of these particular eyeshadow sticks! Obviously, the concentration of ingredients can irritate delicate skin around our eyes.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maybelline?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have been using "great lash mascara" for many, many years. About 9 months ago I purchased two pkgs. due to a promotion. The first pkg. I opened felt very lightweight. It was lightweight because there was not a drop of mascara in the container and the brush was completely dry. I started using the second container and I believe that Maybelline has changed the formula. The mascara is filled with small clumps that look nasty on my lashes. My eyelids have been red and itching. Please go back to the original formula that I loved for 30 + years.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I have always used Maybelline products with no issues. I bought the Master Precise eyeliner in Black Comet. I loved it, no issues. Bought another one 2 weeks ago and it's causing my eyelid to become red and swollen. I stopped wearing it for a week and my eyelid returned to normal. Yesterday; I decided to try it again. BAD MISTAKE! My eye started hurting about two hours into work, then would water. It burned throughout the day until I could get home and wash it off. Last night my eyelid was so heavy, and then I couldn't see. My eye burned and watered in stop. I don't know if something has changed with this recent purchase, but something is not right. I see so many others experiencing the same red swollen eyelid effects.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I recently started using the Unstoppable eyeliner, a quad PK of eyeshadow and great lash mascara. I have used Maybelline in the past but most recently used a different brand for a while. Bought this because it was cheaper. After a week or so of use, my eyelids were red, itchy and rough. They began swelling and looking puffy. Then a few days later, I woke up like this picture on Sunday Dec 17. I have narrowed it down to the makeup as the cause. Never again will I use anything made by this company. I have never in my life had a reaction to anything. What are you putting in these products?

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I use the eye care products that bring out the beauty of the natural eye. I love the mascara that darkens and separates each eye lash. When the product is applied at the right angles, I notice that my eyes appear to sparkle. Perhaps it is my opinion, but I like it. Additionally, this company makes the colors that bring out the best in me. I look better in certain colors and many companies do not carry what I need. However, Maybelline makes the shades that work best for me and I will continue to use their products as long as I can. Thanks for a great product.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I used Maybelline purple eyeliner on my eyes and within a matter of 2 hours my eye was itching. In a matter of 5 hours swollen watery and both eyes look like I have pink eye or something wrong. Infection bad.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I've used the Age Rewind forever and never had a problem but I decided to switch up my concealer and wanted to try the Fit Me. First time using didn't seem to have a problem but the second time I noticed a burning sensation which is an automatic red flag for me. I didn't use it again. When I woke up the next day I noticed tightness on my face, seemed a bit dry and red. It has now been 3 days and it has just gotten worse. My cheeks are swollen. My face is extremely itchy. Thankfully I have an appointment with my doctor in the morning hoping to get some relief. I will not purchase another Maybelline product ever again.

Original review: June 23, 2017

Decided to try some new foundation so I picked out the Velvet Dream. That night my face was itching and I had bumps all over it. I've never had issues with any make-up products. That night I decided it was the new foundation. I thoroughly washed my face and haven't put anything on it since. Two days later and my face is still not back to normal. I immediately discontinued use and threw it in the garbage where it will remain. What is going on Maybelline?

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have used Maybelline products for over 40 years and never had a problem. Recently I have bought new mascara and eye makeup remover. I broke out in a horrible rash under my eyes. The rash then moved to my top eyelids. Itchy and burning. I went to my ophthalmologist, dermatologist and internist and through a process of elimination discovered it was my Maybelline eye products. I will be notifying all my Doctors so they too can pass along suggestions to future patients. I strongly suggest Maybelline reconsider their new formulas, especially after reading all these negative reviews.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have happily used this product for several years. However, my latest purchase has resulted in my eyes burning and tearing badly about 20 minutes after I've applied it. At first I thought maybe it was something in the air, but after the reaction I had again this morning (My third application) there's no longer any doubt that it's the eyeliner.

Original review: May 23, 2017

I have been using Maybelline products for many years. After more than a year of unusual burning skin rashes on my face and neck and literally TEN different allergists and dermatologists, I finally concluded all this is due to the products I have used for so long. I went on vacation where it was VERY hot. We spent a lot of time in the pool so I didn't wear any makeup for a solid week. It was the first time I have been completely clear in more than a year! As soon as I started my normal routine again, the terrible skin condition came back. I now have to find other products, which is so hard to do and very costly. Maybelline, what did you do??? Sadly a former customer...

Original review: May 15, 2017

I absolutely love the Maybelline Fit Me Matte and Poreless foundation. The formula is great and it blends well. I decided to try the Fit Me concealer and that was a big no-no. The 1st time I used it under my eyes it burned. I just thought my skin was sensitive that day. The 2nd time I used it the concealer burned me again and I knew it was the concealer then because I had on a different foundation. I am not sure what ingredient irritates my skin but it's one of them... Shame on you Maybelline for using your customers for test rats!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have been using Maybelline Superstay Better Skin foundation for approximately six months with no problems. I ran out and recently purchased a replacement bottle. I started developing a red and itchy rash on my face. I didn't think it was from the foundation at first since I'd been using it with no problems. I was put on steroid cream by my dermatologist along with antihistamine pills. The rash would get a little better, but once I stopped the steroid cream it would come back. My face was bright red, scaly and itchy, with hives! My face swelled up so much I could barely open my eyes!

I finally figured out through a process of elimination that it was from the foundation. Argh! It looks like I'm not the only one either after reading other posts. I've contacted Maybelline and reported my experience. I've never had an allergic reaction to any cosmetics and even got an allergy patch test in my search for what was causing it. Just take a look at my pictures! It was awful. It was almost like a chemical burn that would itch and burn. My whole face peeled off. I'm only writing this in hopes I can save someone else from going through what I just did. Don't use this foundation!

Original review: May 10, 2017

If you're obsessed with makeup videos on YouTube then you are aware of the amount of women on there who advocate and praise this product. Claiming it to be the best concealer they've ever purchased. I decided after many months to finally make my purchase. After my first application I noticed the next morning that my under eye area had a dry red rash like my skin had been burned, as well as some eyelid swelling. I have NEVER had an allergic reaction from drugstore makeup before. So, I thought maybe it was just a fluke and maybe I had gotten too much sun that day.

Well, after my second application a couple months later my eyes swole up again!!! I'm so disappointed in this company and women everywhere need to be notified. I don't consider myself to have sensitive skin because I've NEVER had a problem purchasing drugstore makeup. Maybelline has changed their formula or has done something to their product and has not alerted their consumers. SHAME oN YOU Maybelline. I will never purchase another product from them.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Whatever new formula they are using in the Ultra Liner waterproof eyeliner is definitely causing eyelid problems. I have used Maybelline for over 10 years and have never had a problem. Along with many of the other reviews in reference to this particular reaction, my eyes swell as well a couple hours after applying it. Never using any of their products again.

Original review: March 28, 2017

Applied this foundation a couple of times and noticed my skin became oily. A few days later I broke out in hundreds of white pustules along with redness, swelling, pain and itchiness. Never ever using anything from Maybelline again. I am very disappointed with this product as well as the company.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I used this product two days ago and immediately it started to burn my skin and the next day my face was swollen and had blotchy red spots all over it and still does and the swelling is worse! Never again will I use any of their products!!!

Original review: March 1, 2017

Bought the Maybelline New York Eye Studio Master Precise liquid eyeliner. I applied it and everything was fine. Wore it through the whole day. At night I started feeling my eyes real heavy. I thought I was just tired. The next morning when I woke up I could not open my eyes. I went to the restroom and noticed my eyes were super swollen and red. Had to go to work like that and now throughout the day my eyes are still a bit swollen and that's that I took an allergy medicine. My eyes feel super itchy. Never again.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I do like the Mousse foundation. The Maybelline product is widely available. All makeup brands use the same type of model. A young woman to advertise the products. However I am in my mid 40s. Makeup companies need to do more to enhance products for different age groups. Imagine if Maybelline etc. did a category for over 40s with makeup that really targeted the problems of 40 year olds and above. Loss of moisture and elasticity means some of these mousse foundations are not suitable for this skin. Makeup companies need to realize that women are all ages, shapes and colors. Makeup needs to be more personal.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

I've used the same brand of Maybelline eyeliner for going on 5 years. However, recently I bought a brand new tub of eyeliner and within 5 minutes of applying my eyes were swelling shut. I had to go to the doctor as a result plus miss work, which I have the doctor's note proving. It is now two weeks later and I'm still on medication waiting for the swelling to be completely gone. I've also been trying to contact the company repeatedly however they keep sending me a number to call which always happens to be conveniently busy or out of service. I am very displeased and am not going to stop until someone acknowledges this. Obviously they either changed their product without alerting the consumer or they are packaging expired/bad products. This is unacceptable and after experiencing what I did I should not be playing cat and mouse with this company.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

Li here, I have heard that Maybelline Baby Skin Instant pore eraser is one of the best in the market, so I after a few months from not using any I decided not to go back to the one I used before and bought myself Maybelline Instant pore eraser. Immediately after using it, I noticed that my vision went blurry especially on my left eye. I thought it might be nothing so when I got to work I wiped it off and my left eye was left with a haze. I skipped 3 days, though vision on my left eye had remained blurry. I then tried it again this morning and the same thing happened and I wiped it off immediately and my vision became poorer.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2016

I have never had a problem with drugstore makeup brands but one week ago I started using Maybelline's FIT concealer. After a few days I started noticing bumps all over my face. They became itchy and red and I cannot seem to get rid It. I started doing my research and I have found people have had the same problem as me! I will never use Maybelline again. Awful experience!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

I have been using Ultra liner for a long time. Recently I notice when I remove the makeup my eyelids are swollen red and very sensitive with a burning sensation. I'm unable to apply any makeup for a day.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2016

I usually do not write reviews of this nature – however, I'm hoping it will help someone else. I purchased Maybelline Master Kajal about six month ago. I used it while on vacation in a developing country. When I suddenly got an eye infection, I thought it was a result of SOMETHING from the country I was visiting. However, two days ago I used the eyeliner again because it went with my outfit and all of a sudden I got a very nasty eye infection again – mirroring what happened when I was on vacation. My eyes became very red and yellowish mucus formed. There was so much mucus the morning after use that my eyes were actually sealed closed. I had to use water to closely open my eyes. Once I got them opened, they were swollen and looked like I have pinkeye. I did a Google search and realized other people were having similar problems. As a result, I decided to share my experience.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

So like 5 years ago I started using Define a Brow to fill in my very sparse brows. About a year ago I finally switched to an organic one and wow! What a difference. Now whenever I am forced to use the Maybelline my head hurts so bad, my face feels tingly and my eyes hurt too. So apparently I had just gotten used to it over the years. I never liked using it because of the chemicals and parabens they use. That's why I finally switched to an organic one. I feel like they should switch out their harmful chemicals. My hair hasn't grown back at all. I worry that it's because of all of the chemicals from the Define a Brow. Use organic if you can. I like the Tarte brand personally (amazonian clay). Doesn't give me a headache.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

I've never had a reaction to any product before. The instant I put this on, it burned. I immediately took it off with makeup remover. I have red burns under my eyes! I'm so upset. I will never buy anything from Maybelline again.

Maybelline expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Maybelline revolutionized eyelashes when Mabel Williams first started experimenting with extending her eyelashes in 1915. They are still known for their mascara, and they also produce and sell face creams, foundation, powder, blush, primer, lip products, nail polish and other cosmetic products and tools. Consumers can find Maybelline products online and at popular retailers globally.

• Makeup Explorer: Use Maybelline’s Makeup Explorer tool on their website to find your perfect makeup match. Narrow your results based on the type of product you are looking for, your trouble areas and your desired finish.

• Video lessons: Learn top tips and tricks for applying makeup by watching videos on Maybelline’s website. Their video library has over 50 lessons, which are all available for free.

• Makeup trends: Stay up-to-date on all the latest makeup trends by visiting Maybelline’s website or by subscribing to their email newsletter. Email subscribers receive frequent updates on the latest news and trends in the makeup industry.

• Get featured on Instagram: Use #mnyitlook on Instagram for your chance to be featured on Maybelline’s Instagram feed. See how real women wear Maybelline’s products.

• Budget friendly: Maybelline products are affordable, and they are available in drugstores and super stores nationwide.

• Best for: Maybelline cosmetics are best for budget-savvy women looking for a great mascara.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs