Mary Kay Cosmetics

• 5%
  • 17%
  • 36%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mary Kay Cosmetics?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mary Kay Cosmetics?
    Customer Service

Reviewed Oct. 20, 2019

I have been a faithful Mary Kay customer for 30 years. I have even been a consultant twice in that time. I love being able to call my consultant and tell her the products I’m out of and knowing exactly what I will get and if I’m not satisfied knowing I can return the product for a refund. With all that being said... I understand being up to date on making the best product. However I was very disappointed 6-9 months ago to find that they changed the TimeWise skin care. The product is almost twice as much $$ and I haven’t seen any benefits of how it’s better. As a matter of fact, I’m not ordering more. I’m currently using Neutrogena and I truly miss the old TimeWise skin care.

Today I realized I need to order foundation and went to my consultant's website to find the foundations have been completely changed again. It seemed like they just changed them a year or 2 ago. I’ve also read the reviews of the new foundations and it doesn’t seem that anyone is pleased with the product. I never write reviews so to say I’m disappointed in Mary Kay is an understatement. Is anyone else feeling this way???

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2019

This company has a wide variety of products. I have been using them for years & receive numerous compliments regarding my face. People ask what products I use. The MaryKay representative is always very knowledgeable, helpful & willing to take back or exchange anything that may not be working for you. She is also willing to spend time with you selecting the best product for you.

Reviewed Oct. 4, 2019

Mary Kay has often discontinued products I love, but no love is worth the torture and death of animals. It has come to my attention that Mary Kay, which had previously discontinued testing its products on animals, has resumed this cruel practice. My experience with the company has certainly had its ups and downs over the decades, but this is the end of the relationship. The reason for the reversal is money, love of money, which, as they say, is the root of evil.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2019

I made an order from Mary Kay. And mistakenly chose the wrong shade of foundation. I wrote to them immediately about this and I was advised to return the order however, I was shocked when I was told that they can not exchange the product to the shade I wanted. Because I supposed to have a check before placing the order. I admitted to them that it was an honest error but they refused to help. All the products were returned to them as they were posted to me, unopen, and unused. Within the 30 days specified in their policy. What kind of organisation is this that refused to abide by their own policy. This is shocking! They claim to be empowering women. What kind of empowerment is this?

Reviewed July 18, 2019

After 20 years of using the Timewise cleanser and moisturizer, which I loved, I am now leaving Mary Kay. Just tried their new Timewise and the feeling, and the burning was so awful, I tried to wash it off my face. Why in the world would they change a good thing. Contacted my consultant and told her to pick it up and give me a refund. Goodbye Mary Kay!

Reviewed July 6, 2019

I'm shocked to read so many negative reviews. I had a great experience with the product. I first used the normal/dry TimeWise Miracle 3D set, and I noticed an instant difference in brightness and cleanliness. Then I started getting some acne. My consultant advised I try the combination/oily formula instead (I exchanged it all for free). It's been two weeks, the acne is gone, and I get regular compliments on more even skin tone, less redness, more radiance, and just better confidence in myself, too. Love it. My advice is, if you have a bad consultant, that isn't the company failing you, it's the consultant. It's worth finding a consultant you trust, who will work with you on returns and refunds if you need them, and someone who will work with you and your particular skin care needs.

Reviewed June 30, 2019

I was an Independent Consultant for several years and prior to that I had used these products for years. However when they changed their formula I got chemical burns on my face. I sent in a lot of documentation and was given the run around. I can’t and won’t back a company whose products literally burn my skin and cause lasting skin issues. My eyes remain dry and very sensitive now since these chemical burns. I did see my ophthalmologist and medical doctor. I also quit selling because if it did that to my face and skin I sure don’t want it doing that to my customers. What was once a brand that couldn’t be beat is now worse than ever now. Our founder is probably turning over in her grave now since the company she worked so hard to build up has went down the drain with quality.

Reviewed June 21, 2019

I had no trouble with the original Timewise formula. Unfortunately, the new 4-in-1 formula broke my face out and left my skin feeling unclean/sticky. I also did not like the new scent. I’ve been using Mary Kay for years, but I’m sad to say that I will have to find a new product.

Reviewed May 27, 2019

I’ve used Mary Kay for over 15 years and loved it. However my original consultant is now very hard to get a hold of. Tried another one and it took over 2 months to get what I ordered. I’m now on my third and held my first ever party and it was a complete bust. She didn’t bring wine, which was agreed she would bring, because she got drunk the night before so she didn’t want it. I had 2 attendees that had asked for it since I said it would be there. She completely blew the foundation matching on 3 out of 5 of use because she didn’t let us take our original makeup off first, myself included. Then didn’t allow us to remove what she had us put on first to accurately try the next color.

So who knows if that is actually the correct match. She had us all looking like clowns at the end of the night. Didn’t take the time to find individual colors for any of us. I was very embarrassed. The new moisturizers are now day and night instead of one tube for both. I find them both (especially the day moisturizer) to be very heavy to wear, you can always feel it on your face. It’s like its own layer instead of soaking into your skin. I don’t want to discontinue to use the brand but I’m definitely struggling, especially since I can’t find a consultant willing to take the time to do the job right.

Reviewed May 23, 2019

I have used Mary Kay Time Wise Moisturizer for approximately 25 years. I am 52 years old and always get compliments on how young I look. Well, I ran out of moisturizer and I ordered some more from my consultant. I received the tube of timewise moisturizer night cream today. I just put it on and it is drastically different from the old. After one application my face is stinging and feels dryer than when I applied it. I have eczema and sensitive skin. I am so disappointed. As many others have said on this site. Why would you change something that has been so perfect for so many people for years!! I will not be ordering more. Please reconsider continuing the original time wise line.

Reviewed May 22, 2019

I've been using Mary Kay for over 25 years. I do not like the new cleanser. It leaves a heavy, sticky residue on my face. Even after I've cleaned my face, I have to add water to remove the residue. It leaves my skin tight and dry. The former cleanser was not heavy, it was smooth and creamy and worked perfectly. I don't understand why the company keeps discontinuing the products that have worked for years. I never thought I'd have to find another cleanser for my face, or think about stopping using Mary Kay, but I think that's where I'm headed. I also don't like the fact that the Botanical freshener was also discontinued. So, after I finish this last tube of cleanser, I will be looking for a new product to use.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed May 19, 2019

I purchased a few items and found an issue w/ the foundation. I e-mailed my consultant twice and she did not reach out to me! "So much for customer service!" I am just writing this to let y'all know that you better make sure that the product is going to work for you after she leaves or you're STUCK w/ it!!! BEWARE!!!

Reviewed May 15, 2019

I do not recommend MK products because I began using their products in 1969. My face skin looks smooth and I have loved and enjoyed their products - however the latest discontinued product is the last straw. I now can no longer purchase the Cleansing Cream I used - and that makes EVERY product I began with has been discontinued. Buy off the counter Ponds products - just as great for your skin and I do believe they are the same as MK. The very least a company should do is offer new products - and NOT discontinue their original line. I say within the next few years all MK products will be discontinued and they will go out of business - UNLESS they offer at least their basic cleansing & moisturizer. When and if you do - let me know, because I sure do need some.

Reviewed May 13, 2019

I give two thumbs up to MK products! Have been their customer off and on since the 80's and have absolutely no complaints! The day cream makes my eyes water a little at first, but that's the only negative thing, otherwise everything is great and I'm 55 years old and people are always asking me, "what's your secret?" Just reordered $400 worth of stuff and can't wait to get it! And let me mention also, how sweet and courteous and super helpful my sales rep, Jess is, she's tops!

PriceStaff

Reviewed May 6, 2019

About 10 years ago, I was a user of Mary Kay cosmetics. I enjoyed the parties where we got to try out the products, from skin care to makeup. There seemed to be a big turnover of consultants, so I found it difficult to always find the products I liked. 7 years ago, I attended another party that was wonderful, and went through all the skin care and makeup products at this party. This consultant was on a huge push to recruit consultants. Since I had zero interest in being a consultant, she had no interest in me and again I had trouble getting the products. I quit using Mary Kay products.

Recently I have attended 2 parties in the last 6 months. The first was all about skin care and being a consultant. It was ok, but I was more interested in the makeup. We didn't even receive a catalog of the products offered. This consultant quit. Last week, I went to a party for a friend who had just become a new consultant. Her district manager was the consultant I had tried to work with 7 years ago, but was now relishing in her success as a district manager because of the number of consultants she had recruited. She was teaching the new consultant, so did the party. The manager did a high pressure presentation about being a consultant and that was not what I attended the party for. Most of the time was spent on this, but they did present skin care and that was it. No makeup.

I asked to see a catalog and was told to hide it in my pocketbook because others might want one. I got to try no other products. With zero interest in being a consultant, I was pretty disgusted and will never attend another MK party or use their products. When hearing that the consultant gets 50% of the cost of each product, and obviously the regional manager also gets a big cut of what her consultants make, I came to the conclusion that this makeup costs very little to make. While there are some good ingredients in their products, I believe the amount of those ingredients is well hidden to keep the cost of making their products extremely cheap so that they can pay the consultants and managers.

Reviewed April 24, 2019

I have been using Mary Kay for 15 years. I recently purchased the new Timewise Kit. It has caused irritation almost like a burn and caused my face to break out. I tried to leave a review on their site but it was rejected. No negative reviews allowed apparently. I will not be recommending it or purchasing it again. I will be looking for a new skin care line.

Reviewed April 24, 2019

Over the years that I had been using Mary Kay's 3-in-1 Cleanser, my skin had been doing very well. I would get many compliments on my skin from familly members and colleagues. However, since I have been using the 3D 4-in-1 cleanser, my skin has become very irritated. I really feels like my skin is burning. I did not realize there was such a stark difference in the two cleansers. While I do have dry skin, and use the normal to dry skin formula, my skin has started to peel, which was not the case before using the 3D 4-in-1 Cleanser. It took my astute colleague's commenting that the product might actually be burning my skin to help me realize that it indeed was the cleanser that sparked the changes in my skin.

Why in the world would a company that touts itself as being a premier skin care company just stop creating products that were working so well? I can see adding another product to the line of skin care that the company offers, but Mary Kay should never just stop producing a product. I don't know what I will do with the unopened container of 3D 4-in-1 Cleanser. Perhaps I will post an ad on Craigslist asking if someone who does not have sensitive skin wants the cleanser. I eventually will probably stop odering from Mary Kay altogether because of this heartbreaking experience. I'm so glad I never let my sister talk me into working for Mary Kay over the years.

Reviewed April 21, 2019

The new 3D Cleanser and Serum is not for people with sensitive skin. My face breaks out in pink blotches every time I use it. Never happened before. I never had a problem with the previous formula. Now I have to find a different product.

Reviewed April 18, 2019

I sell Mary Kay, but I am so frustrated because they keep changing products people love. Just recently, they changed the TimeWise skin care line (for the worse). They are also swapping out the foundations again! It is just a marketing gig to get the consultants and consumers to purchase more. I understand how this works, but leave it alone when people are happy and buying the products. I have thought about quitting several times but have ladies who count on me. I am not pushy and never have been. I do not play into the game but am still very discouraged by their moves lately.

Reviewed April 17, 2019

I have been faithfully using Mary Kay products for over 25 years and I will never use another product. I'm turning 50 this year and I get many compliments on how young I look and that my skin looks wonderful. People think I'm in my younger 30's. I've tried other product lines and in comparison, they were too harsh, heavy, stinky, or just not for me. I've been to places with my sons and have been mistaken for their sister, which makes me feel great. I believe in the Mary Kay products and know that they continue to improve them. Just like technology, products are constantly changing; same for Mary Kay. I will say, as a Beauty Consultant, the products are not for everyone. People get used to a product and then the company changes it. Unfortunately, changes are not always better and we lose customers. If products are returned to me, the customer will receive a 100% refund.

I always try a product before telling my customers about it. If I don't love it, I won't try to sell it. The company welcomes your comments, feedback, and suggestions. For the customers that their skin broke out, were you using the correct TimeWise 3D formula for normal/dry or oily/combination? If skin breaks out, you may be using the wrong formula. Switching the formula will work and I've had great customer success stories. Unfortunately, there are places where the water has been the culprit and made the products not work for everyone. I've read many of these reviews and feel sorry for those that had a negative experience with Mary Kay or one of their consultants. It is a wonderful company to work for and I believe in their products.

Reviewed April 14, 2019

I was very frustrated and upset with my experience with Mary Kay, not in the product, but in the consultant. I went to a wedding show and won a pampering session for me and 5 guests plus a gift card to spend. The day of the party came and 2 of my family members were sick and couldn't make it. The consultant, JESSYE **, then told me I would have to reschedule based on those guests not being able to make it.

However, this was 45 mins before the party was supposed to start and she should have already been on her way over to set up. I tried very hard to find more guests to come since my mom had already arranged food and drinks and had set up for the party. I also had let her know that the people coming were planning to buy products as well as the guests that couldn't make it, so she wouldn't be losing out on business. I believe that Jessye should have told me before that day that if I didn't have all my guests present then she wouldn't be coming. It was all a joke. Because I didn't want to reschedule, I'm therefore not getting the gift card I had supposedly won.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed April 13, 2019

I used the original Timewise moisturizer and cleanser and loved it. They changed the formula to 3 D and it smells awful and was so heavy on my skin. Not to mention it burned my face and neck leaving it red. Then I noticed the new 3 D bottle was much smaller but the price was still the same. I couldn’t order a product without being harassed wanting me to have parties or give my consultant my friends and family's names and phone numbers. I feel like the company is all about recruiting new salespeople. She was just too pushy for my taste and quit ordering from her.

Reviewed April 9, 2019

I have been using Mary Kay Timewise Age-fighting moisturizer for years. They have now changed the formula to this Age Minimize 3-D Day Cream. I applied it once and had to wash it off immediately. The scent is unbearable and my skin began to burn. I have allergies to scented products and this one put me right over the top. If I could find a website for just May Kay complaints, I would have done so.

Reviewed April 4, 2019

I had used the Timewise skin care with no problems, in fact it helped my sensitive skin quite a bit. But when the company stopped selling it I tried the new 3D set and I broke out horribly and my skin became inflamed and had red bumps all over. I stopped using it for a week and my skin completely cleared back up. I returned the products, which were still full, and was told I couldn't get a refund because my consultant didn't have the money and ended up with an exchange of $100 in make-up instead. I will never buy from this company again. The new skincare is horrible and the fact that I couldn't get my money back is just wrong.

Reviewed March 30, 2019

Previously I am a user for MK starting botanical melacep botanical and 3d and my skin so dry. Not all of skin care can use MK. I hate MK beauty consultant! They just want to earn money and not being loyal with me. She is my class mate but in order to achieve her dream she was not being honest with me.

Reviewed March 21, 2019

DRIED MY SKIN OUT AND ITCHY - I've used Mary Kay skin care for 35 years! I was very disappointed in the new 3D! Then they discontinued the botanical line which was a bad move entirely for those with sensitive skin as I typically need to use both moisturizers! There is no way I can use the new 3D unless I want more rapid aging from dehydration.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed March 3, 2019

I attended a Mary Kay party many years ago...probably in the 80's! One of my friends decided to host it for a friend of hers that was beginning her business. I knew from the beginning that this was to be an instructional facial as the consultants have a "no customer contact" clause in their agreement. I figured that was fine because I wanted to be able to learn how to apply the products anyway.

The party was fun and I loved the way she began with a hand treatment then had the table set with individual trays with mirrors and products for everyone's specific skin type. After the introductions and a bit of the consultant's story as to why she decided to begin her business and a few minutes about the history of the company and the fact that they donate millions to domestic violence shelters and cancer research she asked if we had any questions. I was quite impressed with the philosophy of the company.

She then began to instruct us on the application of each product and while everyone was doing their thing she explained each product and the ingredients in it. Well at the end my face felt wonderful so I purchased the whole set for approximately $125 at that time. I received my products and began using them faithfully and noticed that my face was breaking out. The consultant had called me about two weeks after I began using it for a follow up to see how I was doing and I told her my situation. She said UK try using it for another two weeks and these were the impurities in my skin coming out and it would clear up. I kept using it and each time she called to check up on how I was doing I told her...no better and I wanted to return my products and just get a refund. She apologized and asked when a good time was to get together. Within 2 days she had her products back and I had my full refund!

Fast forward to 2013...a friend of my son's was a director and was having an Army Mom's appreciation day at her home. I told her of my past experience and she said they now had a new Timewise Repair skincare. I figured I'd go and not purchase anything...well...that day when I finished with the facial my skin felt fantastic. Because the set was expensive I only purchased the cleanser, serum and night cream with retinol. I began using it and my I actually began getting compliments on my skin from friends. I then purchased the day cream and used what I had for a few more months.

I loved it so much I decided to become a personal use consultant. That way I could get my products for half price! I did this for about three months then all of my friends wanted me to have a party at my home so they could try this great product. I had invited 5 guests and my Director ran the party and all of them purchased the Skincare which I used plus some makeup. I still did not was to recruit people as I am retired and just wanted to service my friends and get my own products. Well, my friends told their friends and I began building quite a large client base. I now have approximately 125 clients all via word of mouth. I know this is not a huge profit after expenses but it is extra cash which affords us the luxury of visiting our son and his family wherever he is stationed and a few extras.

The main thing I can say about this business is one must believe in the product, the philosophy of the company and most of all deliver exceptional customer service. I still do not actively recruit; however, I do have a team member... a friend who has signed up for personal use! It seems that the issues most people who have commented here is with their consultant not delivering the type of customer service she should be... plus not being knowledgeable about the products. When something doesn't work for a customer then it should be changed or a refund given. All I can say, speaking only for myself, is that my skin has never looked better and people cannot believe that I am going to be 69 years old!

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2019

Recently purchase (last Monday to be exact) the TimeWise cleanser and day cream as I have been eyeing it for quite sometimes since it got raves review. 3 days of using I completely stop because my skin become tight, super dry and itchy. Usually my skin is very easy to work with any product but it surprises me as much as disappoint me to make my skin become like this. It also causing burning sensations and I have to slather Vaseline onto my face to avoid it from breaking.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2019

I have been a loyal Mary Kay customer for many years. I have sensitive skin and have a hard time finding products that don’t burn my skin, and the TimeWise lotion has kept my skin healthy for years. They recently changed the formula. It is thick and is scented and burns...I now have burn patches all over my face. I can’t believe that I have to find another face cream...so horribly disappointed. Goodbye, Mary Kay. You blew it.

Reviewed Dec. 21, 2018

This product states that it is “suitable for sensitive skin. Oil-and-fragrance-free,” however it HAS a fragrance...a STRONG fragrance. So much so that my nose and throat started itching five minutes after applying it to my neck only! My neck began to turn red and started itching after about ten minutes, so I had to wash everything off and take a Benadryl to avoid a full blown allergic reaction.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2018

I have nothing but great things to say about this company. Several years ago or more they had a lip gloss that I loved. They took it off the market because somebody felt something was wrong. Nobody I knew of had any issues with it but because somebody felt something might be wrong. I don't think they've ever been told like other companies out there to quit false advertising also. Mary Kay is very conservative about what they will say a product does. And what I have found it's far more and faster than what they legally can say.

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2018

I have been using Mary Kay for almost 12 years. Absolutely love the products! I have to say I'm so happy they switch to the new Timewise 3D. I'm looking younger and younger. I think it's funny to read some of the reviews about how the bottles are smaller in actuality. You don't have to buy the night and day solution anymore plus the moisturizer so you're actually saving money. And the Timewise 3D is more concentrated. You only need a pea size amount.

Price

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2018

I have used Mary Kay skin care products for the past three years consistently. I have seen a definite improvement in my skin overall as well as enjoyed getting more compliments on looking younger. Consistency is definitely key when it comes to taking care of your skin. I highly recommend the skin care products. The cosmetics can be subjective with everyone having a favorite but the supplements in Mary Kay are some of the best in the industry. From the charcoal mask, to the glycolic peel, to the microdermabrasion set and bio cellulose mask -- all of these amazing products allow for a spa-like experience at home at a more affordable cost. I will be a Mary Kay products user for life!

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2018

I have been using Mary Kay for 5 years and recently moved to a very dry climate... I use the Repair line and thanks to my Mary Kay my skin has not dried out one bit... I am over 50 and having the best skin of my life. Thank you Mary Kay!!!

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2018

I have a twelve year old daughter that was struggling with acne. I took her to the dermatologist and they gave her a cream as they felt it was temporary, but that didn't work. I decided to buy the Clear Proof line as a recommendation from a consultant, I was a bit skeptical at first since I hear most acne treatments dry out the face and more. Well I'm happy to report this was not the case, after 2 weeks of consistent use her face started to look much better and in 4 weeks they were gone. Her skin is very soft and well moisture. I couldn't be more happy with the results.

Reviewed Dec. 11, 2018

I've been a Mary Kay skincare user for almost 5 years. It took some adjustment to the "new" formula. But after a lot of adjustment (because your skin needs time to adjust to a new formula) my skin has never looked better. In December Mary Kay launched brand new color formula called Cromafusion! It's fabulous! It lasts all day and I don't even use primer! I love all the products I've tried from MK!

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2018

I have been using the TimeWise Miracle 3D skin care products for about 3 months. I love these items and what they have done for my skin. The moisturizers are not heavy and I can see a huge difference in my eczema.

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve used Mary Kay products for 30 plus years and have always been happy. I’m sorry to say your new 3D 4-in1 cleanser is not a good product to clean your face. It won’t remove my make-up or eye make-up when I wash my face. It makes my face oily and have a residue that is left behind. I don’t understand why you would change a product like the 3-in1 cleanser for normal/oily skin if it worked so well. I’m now using Dove bar soap until I can find another product that works. I have very sensitive skin and Mary Kay was one that didn’t burn my skin. I’m so disappointed.

Reviewed Nov. 26, 2018

45 years. That is how long I have been using MK. Just not as satisfied as I was. Something has changed in the formulas. TimeWise is not same. The eyeshadow no longer stays on even with primer. The lipstick has changed to gel formula, it does not stay on as well. My favorite shade is gone, caramel toffee. I am seriously considering going to CVS and trying something new.

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2018

I have been a Mary Kay skin care user for 41 years and have used TimeWise etc. Never disappointed until I was informed that M K has discontinued the original TimeWise line and switch it to TimeWise 3D, purchased the cleanser, toner, day and night cream it and only used it 3 days, it had a heavier texture Vaseline feel to it. My face broke out and felt greasy. What a disappointment, now will have to find a new skin care products, why change a good product? Had to retuned all of it.

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2018

Disappointed in the new version Timewise Moisturizer. I have use this product for years and loved it. Now it is thick, greasy and smells? Suppose to be fragrance free. It went from 3 oz to 1.7oz for same price. Really? I will not buy again and am considering not purchasing any Mary Kay products. All my favorites have changed formulas. Why don't they want to cater to people who love their products and come back to something they can trust. Not anymore it appears.

Reviewed Oct. 17, 2018

Beware! My sister-in-law had a Mary Kay party that she won and Tia ** was the beauty consultant. I purchased 3 items for a total cost of 72.08 using my debit card. She recorded my number on the sales slip. A couple of weeks later I received my items. Charge to my card was made shortly after the party. I didn't think anything of it. Month passed and in the month of July I noticed charge activity with her name. After further investigation, she had used my card number and put through 7 charges totaling 208.00. I canceled my card and report it to the bank and Mary Kay.

Reviewed Oct. 16, 2018

I have used this product for decades but the changes in the formula have given it a greasy feel and even an odd smell even though it is marketed as "fragrance free." The size has been reduced from 3 ounces to 1.7 ounces which is a 43% increase. This is hardly the value I had come to expect from Mary Kay.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2018

A few weeks after I had gone to a bridal show I received a call from a Mary Kay rep saying that I had won a free "pampering" session for me and up to 5 other girls. The lady claimed that there would be refreshments such as food and beverages there at this "pampering" session and that it would be a totally fun and relaxing experience for me and the other girls. The day comes and me and 3 other friends of mine travel almost an hour away to this Mary Kay studio to meet up with the lady. We get there and awkwardly walk into a meeting with 6-8 older women dressed in all pink. The lady proceeds to walk past them and brings us into a small back room with cheap tables and chairs set up.

We all sit down in front of a small mirror and plastic makeup tray that has tiny ladybug drops of creams, cleansers, etc. The next hour and a half were nothing but awkward and cringe worthy. The lady/sales rep would show us how to use a certain product on our tray and then she would try to explain which tube of product she was holding and she didn't even know! She kept having to reference the tubes to figure out what she was trying to get us to use on our face. After she went over with us how to apply and use the products on our makeup trays she then went on to talk about herself for a good 10-15 minutes. She went on to tell us that in her 19 years of working for Mary Kay she has gotten 7 cars, a ton of trips, and of course bragged about her multiple and unjustified tax write offs.

She then had us fill out an info card about ourselves that only asked us questions about becoming a sales rep like: would you like to become a Mary Kay sales rep today if you were shown how to sell product, etc. After listening to her go on about herself and how she makes so much money from the company... the lady then told us to use our phones and write down the girls in our phones names and numbers to get an item for free. Really what the lady was trying to do was trick us into giving her more clients that she can call/text/bother and probably scam into getting a free "pampering session".

When we were done filling out everything she wanted us to she then tried to pressure us into buying her products and my friends and I already felt uncomfortable and awkward and just wanted to run out the door at this point. We all had to lie to get the lady off our backs by saying we would text her about the product we wanted once we got home since we "didn't have any money on us". Once we were FINALLY free to leave and go home and hopefully never speak about this again. She proceeded to bring us to another small room where our "refreshments" were.

The free snacks she tried enticing me with over the phone were really just leftover dry cookies and cheese that the group of pink wearing ladies from before that were having their meeting had left over and not ate. My friends and I just cringed and said no thanks and quickly got out of there. Now that I'm home I've come to realize my free "pampering" session was really just a scam to get the sales rep more clients/try to convince people to become a sales rep themselves. Overall a horrible experience and I have learned my lesson and will never do business with Mary Kay now or in the future.

Sales & Marketing

Reviewed Aug. 30, 2018

My skin is very sensitive. When I find a brand that works for me I am dedicated to it. Thus Mary Kay is all I use. No advertising will alter my experience.

Reviewed Aug. 25, 2018

Makeup goes on much better with healthy skin and with this product you get both! The new 3D TimeWise is hands down the best skin care you can buy that is on the market today. Not only do they have great skin care products, but the make-up is superb as well. If you are not into make-up, try their skin care products! It will make a world of difference to your skin. One last thing, ladies, wrinkles are a thing of the past with this product! Try it and you will see the results!

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2018

Other products use to cause my skin to hurt and sting. My skin has improved and cleared up since using Mary Kay & and it stays in place in humid climates and it feels good.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2018

I enjoy using Mary Kay for 14yrs, have no bad remarks. It's a company that stay solid behind the functions of their products. They do work for the specific functions and you get Amazing results. Botanical set is 100% natural and Acne set is better than these pills that they serve.

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2018

Mary Kay continues to deliver incredible products. Moderately priced for the working girl. There are many ways to purchase their products which makes it so easy. Great value too!

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2018

I have been using this brand makeup for over five years. It feels great on the skin, is non-irritating and the variety of colors makes it an easy choice.

Price

Reviewed June 19, 2018

For YEARS I have peered the TimeWise Daily Moisturizer & LOVED it. The tube contained 3 oz of product for $32. Well, I just received my latest order. They have DOWNSIZED the tube to ONLY 1.7 oz & are STILL charging a whopping $32. Talk about CORPORATE GREED. NO MORE!!! I've ordered the LAST of Mary Kay. I hope the unbridled GREED is worth the customer base you will, most definitely, be losing.

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed June 12, 2018

I have been using Mary KAY since 1999. The skincare is top notch while affordable. The makeup is amazing too. I love trying before you buy. My consultant is always there to answer my questions. I have NEVER felt pressure to buy products. The company culture is VERY supportive of women donating millions to women’s shelters and diseases that affect women. They are also environmentally friendly using recycled material in packaging.

Reviewed June 5, 2018

I sold and used Mary Kay for years and loved it. They gave a great return policy and once you know a salesperson you always have an in to get the product.

Sales & MarketingPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed May 19, 2018

I was invited to the Grand Opening of a friend’s Mary Kay business. Initially, I blew it off because I felt that I would be pressured into buying things and that it would be a waste of time. I was part of a group of people that were invited to this grand opening. The day of the grand opening, no one showed up. Therefore, my friend and her trainer/mentor rescheduled it for today. I got a text on Monday from her mentor stating how important it was for me to attend the grand opening on Saturday morning because if she didn’t have any models, she wouldn’t be able to be trained.

So here I was thinking that I was going to get a facial and some make up and everything. The grand opening began at 9:45 AM. I got there 5 minutes late thinking that I was really going to embarrass my friend with my tardiness. However, when I walked in, they were not even set up and ready. They ran 15 minutes behind and all of the guests just stood around awkwardly waiting for the grand opening to begin. It was awful. The facial that we were supposed to receive, we did ourselves. So here I drove 35 minutes out of my way on my Saturday morning under the impression that my friend’s training was absolutely contingent on my attendance. She didn’t touch me once.

I did my own facial and applied my own make-up while listening to her mentor give a seminar on the history of Mary Kay, all of their products, and how much money she has earned with Mary Kay. I would have rather have spent the night in jail than to sit through all of that crap. It was horrible. They also promised us a complimentary continental breakfast, which by the time we were allowed to eat it, it was 12:00 noon. So that defeated the purpose. It was just so turned off by the entire experience.

Towards the end we played a “game” which consisted of going through our phones and writing down as many females contacts as possible. So they tricked us into giving them leads under the impression that we would win a prize. We didn’t win any prizes. When I got home, I was so furious. I also read that many other consumers had broken out in either hives or acne bumps after using their products. I immediately showered and scrubbed all of their products off. I understand in sales that “if you’re not lying, you’re not trying,” but this experience took the cake.

CoveragePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed April 22, 2018

I have a very close friend who became a MK consultant not too long ago... maybe two months. She gave me a makeover and it was a good time. While she was giving me the low down on all of the products for 2 hours, I wanted to kill myself. I purchased the $200 kit along with blush, eyeshadow. (I DID NOT WANT THE LIPSTICK)!! She said my lipstick made me look like a corpse. The bronzer was a good buy. I also purchased brushes and blush, which I liked. Needless to say, I spent $345 for the kit and kaboodle. No problem. I got home the next day and was overwhelmed with all of the steps needed to put on the makeup in the morning and evening.

I was at work and noticed how bad the foundation looked on my face. With all of the moisturizers, I looked like the Valdez Oil spill. Because she is a very good friend, I took the hit. The nighttime moisturizer burns the heck out of my face. What I didn't appreciate, was her telling me how badly my makeup looked (before) and I would look much better with MK products. Needless to say, I am going back to my CoCo Chanel!!! All of the MK products will be in the trash. Moisturizers, base, cover up, cleanser and that damn lipstick she made me buy! The only thing I liked the loose powder and the brushes!

Verified purchase
    Customer ServiceContract & TermsPriceStaff

Reviewed April 17, 2018

I ordered from a friend of mine that started out with Mary Kay, out of state, and I wanted her to succeed so I ordered from her. A month and a half went by and no order. I contacted Mary Kay Corp on April 17, 2018. I received a call back 9 hours later and the Rep on the phone came up with 100 excuses why I never received my order. I am NOT mad at my friend, but with the Rep that called me. She explained my credit card WAS charged and she needed me to verify that the card WAS charged. BUT I received an email explaining to me that my credit card was never charged. HMMMMM... let's see... Mary Kay says I was NOT charged and then all of a sudden I was charged a month and a half ago, today.

I am in Law School and this is a GREAT example of a civil lawsuit waiting to happen. If they did indeed charge me for my order in either February when I placed my order, or (today) in April when I contacted Mary Kay about my order, they are GUILTY on both accounts of fraud. As a Corporation, they committed fraud by not charging me as in agreement with buying the products and then, as they agreed on the phone that they did charge me or they did charge me. If they did charge me again, in April, when they contacted me by phone, they are committing fraud without my knowledge. This company has lost my faith in them and I will NEVER purchase from them again. Buyer Beware! Consultants... find something else to do with your time!!!

Reliability

Reviewed April 9, 2018

I have read many of the reviews about Mary Kay and am quite surprised by many of them... Mary Kay has been in business since 1963. The format pretty much remains the same, except now there is social media. You invite people to have a pampering party, and you are shown the products, you get to use them, find your color, like or not like something, and buy or not buy. The fact that many of you felt you were "duped" means you read more into this than it was. An MK consultant cannot touch your face... you must do that. How many of you really felt you were getting a free salon facial for free? Why would someone do that? This is how Mary Kay advertises... thru consultants. Not all are good, not all are reliable, but many, many love this business and are excellent at it! Next time look it up on the computer so you know what you are getting in to... or call the consultant!

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed March 21, 2018

Hi, I am having a terrible experience dealing with this company’s customer service. I was selected for a free makeover where this lady name Dawn who is the president of the company in New Jersey branch. She came to my place to basically show me about the company history and the products, also on sharing my friends' contact I received some free products from her. I then bought some more products from her in spite the fact that I already was comfortable with my current products just to give a try to a new company. I bought a CC Cream from her saying that let me try if it does not work I will return you back. After trying the CC Cream I did not like it so I told her about my experience but she insisted to me to try one more color. She sent me another CC Cream to try but unfortunately it did not work for me, so I was trying to reach her to return it back.

This time she told me the story that she cannot take the return but need to buy something else. I was amazed by this and I decided to buy a eye gel. I am trying to reach her since a week but she is not calling me or picking up my calls. She is saying me that I need to ship her back the both the CC Cream after that she will order the eye gel. I told her that why do I need to spend money on courier to return the stuff back. When she was trying to make me one of the representative under her she use to call me every day and message. Now her purpose is over so she is now not responding to me. I just want to return the CC Cream and get my eye gel by next week since I am traveling for 2 months and end this transaction. I am just so done with this and would never recommend anyone for Mary Kay, very poor service by people at a President level.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2017

I bought some cosmetics from this woman named Shilpi in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. She demanded the money in advance saying that she couldn't pay for the product up front so I paid her. I did not get my items after 3 months of begging and phoning and emailing. She became rude and abusive cursing and swearing and issuing threats of what she could get people to do to me and my property if I continued to contact her. I am out $746 and $0.22. I should take a fraud case against her but I hear she's in deep financial trouble with many people so therefore I would just be in the lineup of other people that she ripped off.

She is one pushy woman and I was a fool to purchase anything from her because she has such a dislikable personality but I felt that the products might help with my skin issues but I never did get to find out because she got the money and I got nothing. I would say do not do business with Mary Kay based on this Shilpi from Saskatoon because if they sanction and condone sales reps like her I can just imagine what it would be like if you had a problem with the product. I do not read much good about Mary Kay or their pushy salespeople who are just simply dishonest and in it for a quick cash grab and move on to the next sucker.

Customer ServiceCoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 5, 2017

My fiancé received a free pampering session after winning a contest at restaurant. She and I went with two others. It was less of a pampering and more of a seminar where we listened to the achievements of every consultant there. It was boring but we got to try free product. Well they try and recruit you as well, telling you about all the money you can make. At the time I was interested in becoming a consultant. I was out a job and thought it might be a good new experience. Well the lady who was running our party ignored me in favor of the other people with us, despite me being the first to show interest. So I decided against it fast.

My fiancé bought a decent amount of stuff and she set up a payment plan. So flash forward a few weeks and my fiancé lost her job because the store she was working at closed and her other job only worked her 10 hours a week. All this was unexpected so we made sure to communicate these things with her and she told us to let her know when she should start payments again. At this point the Mary Kay lady had given my fiancé a little under half of what she bought. At another party I was invited to by my sister, I was given the rest of my fiancé's goods before any more payments were made and in the middle of the job mess.

Flash forward a couple of months and my fiancé has more hours at her current job, however we are behind on some bills. All through this, we are communicating our situation and she seems to be understanding. Then one night in the middle of a family emergency, we get a text from the lady's assistant asking if it would be okay to take out a big chunk of money. Due to the emergency, we did not respond right away. Not even an hour later, I checked our account and the money was missing without us saying it was okay. We told the assistant that the money was rent money and we could pay $50 every other week in correspondence with my fiancé's paycheck and the amount was agreed on. And now just today, we get a text saying they are going to take out money on a day that was not agreed on. We have not received the rest of the money they said they would put back.

The icing on the cake is that the Mary Kay seller is saying how she needs the 150 that is remaining to provide for her family. Thing is, she has made enough to get a free car that gas is covered by the company and now she has an assistant that she did not have at the beginning of all this. Here I am working two jobs at the moment to catch up on some bill and for Christmas. And this lady has the nerve to say that the money we owe her is life or death. And she is not even saying it to our faces but instead through her assistant. While I do understand that she basically runs her own business, it is not her fault for giving us all the product when steady payments were not being made and leaving it up to chance and letting us take so long to pay. She should of kept them until they were paid for. Mary Kay has great products but beware if you buy from them. They are more concerned about the money and making a sale than keeping clients.

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2017

You have literally hundreds of thousands of customers begging for the comeback of the original cream to powder day radiance, the cream foundation, oatmeal mask, the whole lot of it. I was a loyal Mary Kay client as was my mother and her mother before her. They wore the original foundations in the 60's through the early 90's - when I developed the worst case of severe cystic acne that left permanent scars that were so severe, they were written about in the Journal of Dermatology, Florida in 1991.

When you changed the original pan style cream to powder to this weird creamy greasy mess, we bought it... I used it... And less than a month later I was having cysts lanced at the doctor. I was 17 back then. Lots of other teens who wore the original MK back then were also breaking out. Took months to clear up. "We don't recommend MK to our acne patients," was my dermatologist's advice. It was the new formula. Prior to that, everything was great and I was flawless. I realize teens develop acne but my mother and friends who used the makeup also broke out severely. Coincidence? Possibly. But I don't think so and never have. My adult 50-something mom had to change lines because your products caused her to develop severe acne too - at age 50! I read in another review that a woman in her 70's went through this same situation due to a formula change in a different product by MK - severe acne at age 70?

I realize there are loons out there worried about erroneous gluten allergies and other cosmetic ingredients but to the majority of us, we would like your "old products" to return. I cannot prove that your formula change back then caused my severe reaction but I believe it did. Estee Lauder recently changed all their formulas of Doublewear - a staple since the 60's and they lost most of their Doublewear-wearing customers as a result. The old formulation was flawless, kept skin young and acne-free and everyone was happy. Now, all the reviews spew forth reactions and chemical burns, lashes that fall out and acne... I'm in the acne category. Please bring back the old way.

PriceStaffReliability

Reviewed Sept. 7, 2017

Product is always reliable, less expensive than some store brands and they have sufficient variety of colors and products for various types of skin. Also, polite and knowledgeable sales representative.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

I have used Mary Kay products for almost 20 years. I won't use anything else. It also saves me money because my rep knows exactly my foundation color and helped me find a color pallet that matches my tone. This has saved me a lot of money over the years. I love their product so much that I have decided to become a Mary Kay consultant.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingStaff

Reviewed June 4, 2017

A friend of mine recently bought a dress from Davids Bridal Tampa. Through this purchase she somehow was automatically entered into and won an "ultimate pampering package for you and 6 friends." This "treatment" included a deep pore cleanse, a microdermabrasion treatment, lip and hand treatment. We were promised "free pampering and a goodie bag." Initial communication was through email and the representative never referred to themselves as a Mary Kay sales rep, but as MK Skincare. My girlfriends and I coordinated a date for a spa day. Some of us took off work and others arranged for childcare. We traveled an hour south for this "pampering."

2 hours prior to the appointment the winner received a text from the consultant asking to reschedule. We tried to reach the consultant, but we were unsuccessful. We had already made the trek down there, so we went to the appointment. When we arrived at the St Pete studio we were greeted by two women that were surprised to see us. Our presence seemed to inconvenience them. We were told that our contact went home sick and that we could still receive pampering, but no goodie bags. One of the women brought us into a room that was decorated in Mary Kay posters and furnished with a cheap foldable table and chairs. The 5 of us were told to sit down at the table as makeup palette trays were placed in front of each of us. For the next NINETY minutes we were given a history of Mary Kay, a walk through the products (without ANY information on the safety or ingredients in each product), and a sales pitch to order and sell Mary Kay products.

This was the most deceptive encounter I have ever endured with a product line. The sales representative had an attitude when there was hesitation to try a product due to health concerns and conditions. The funniest moment was when she told the group that we would play a game for a chance to win a gift card. She handed out papers and pens and proceeded to ask us to write down as many women's names and phone numbers for a pampering session. The winner received a business card for $10 off Mary Kay products. Within hours of this sales pitch one of the women broke out in hives on the entire upper half of her body. I will never purchase any product from Mary Kay. Deception is not a good sales tactic.

CoveragePrice

Reviewed March 30, 2017

First of all a few years back they changed their concealer. The packaging is smaller and the price was raised. Then the price was increased once more. Now they have done away with the original conceal and replaced it with a product that is not as good and still even less product with a higher price. Mary Kay used to have hands-down the best mascara in the industry. Mary Kay used to have hands-down!! They started to change the actual product but kept the packaging.

I noticed that my eyelashes begin to fall out. My customers quit ordering it. Now they have other mascara products that Are not as good and I nor my customers buy the mascara anymore. The packaging of the eyeshadow in the blush has changed. You get much less product and the price is higher and the quality is not as good as it was at one time. My two faves mascara and concealer have been changed in order for the company to make more money by selling sub optimal product (less of it for a higher price).

But the upside to this is I had to look for a new foundation and the foundation Born this Way offers full coverage. I don't even need the concealer and it feels really good on my face. So anyone who feels like me and is looking for something new and better try Born This Way foundation. I do not work for the company. My 16-year-old daughter told me about it. Anyway just kind of bummed out and feel let down by Mary Kay. By the way I sold and used Mary Kay for 15 years. There is no reason for me to sell it anymore.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2017

I recently had a bad experience with Mary Kay. I won a drawing for a free one hour facial! The prize was for a 1 hour pampering facial & one on one beauty consultation, & free samples. So I made an appt. with the beauty for my facial. I was really looking forward to just relax and be pampered. So I went to the consultant's house in Little Elm, TX. When I got there I went inside, and she took me into her kitchen. There were 2 other girls sitting at a table with little plastic trays in front of them. I was really confused for a minute. I asked her about the facial & she said "Yeah, there's a little numbered tray in front of you, & I've already squirted some of each product in the numbered spots. Now I'm gonna walk you through each step & show you how to do it." I said, "So basically we give ourselves a facial while you watch?", she replied "Yeah". So much for relaxing.:(

Ok so that sucked but at least I'll get a goodie bag with some samples at least, so it's not that bad, right? She told me that since I was a box winner from the drawing I get a "swag bag" when I leave. I was really looking forward to it the whole time. Once I had left and was down the street I opened the bag ready to see all the goodies, but instead my heart sank. All I got was 1 packet of pore minimizer & 1 packet of microdermabrasion, a mint & her business card. That is THE worst swag bag I've ever seen. I felt kinda taken advantage of. Like she tricked me by misleading me into thinking I'd be getting a traditional facial. And then that "swag bag" that was just a slap in the face. I get more samples than that out of a magazine! After that experience I don't think I'll be buying any more products nor referring any of my friends to either. Sorry, I really like your products. Just had a bad experience & bad consultant.