Mary Kay Cosmetics

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I decided to help a neighbor that bought Mary Kay products to sell. Felt bad for her so I had her over to do a Mary Kay party with 3 other friends. Well let's just say it was very unpleasant to have this host pass out in the middle of my floor higher than a kite. Walk to her place to get more products (lives in walking distance) to show which wasn't needed, there was plenty of products to look at. Fell asleep at her place getting products then fell asleep on the floor when she got back. To top it off we gave her cash. She gave me one of my products that was 32$ which was junk and 16$ that I gave her for a product which I never received. Then the item my girlfriend order was never delivered which the lady said she would give to me to give my girlfriend. That was 3 weeks ago. So total of 40$ out of my pocket to cover my girlfriend that never got her product.

To top the cake off she accused us of two products missing which was ridiculous. My friends make damn good money, they don't need to take from someone that's obviously ill. She had said she didn't even know what her inventory when we ask if she had a certain products. So I would say I would never do this again. Funny story to tell I guess.

Yes I am from Virginia. My Mary Kay consultant is Varonda ** of Chesterfield Virginia. I became acquainted with Varonda at a friend's wedding. She was the makeup consultant and she became my Mary Kay consultant since that day. I've been using the bronze concealer for years then the name change to bronze 1. It was a black tube, it had .3 oz Net WT./ 8.5g/ now the new concealer in its fancy tube that you got to push in and out to get the product out like you were pumping out lip gloss with the little brush on it. At 4 more dollars and less product at .21 oz. Net WT./6g. Now in spite of my consultant and I being friends over the years I may have to go out and find another product Summer and the same ingredients but more product for the buck.

I have been laid off lately and finances are struggle but I always prided myself on looking great everyday. Now I can't afford my concealer at the price Plus less product. It's gone within 3 weeks, with the tube it lasted for months without me having to purchase more so quickly at $16 and some change. Disappointed Mary Kay very disappointed. I've been a lover of Mary Kay products ever since 1986. Now I may have to find something else.

I'm in the process of now. I'm going to Macy's or Dillard's checking out the ingredients to make sure the product is good for my face and not going to break me out - something I never had to worry about as far as a concealer with Mary Kay but being that the new bottle is more important than your customer than keep paying for the bottle - oh the lip gloss models - who cares about that. I don't have a problem with school using mine and I'll take 2 and then listen to when it's almost gone you can cut the bottom and get the rest of the product out a couple more days it last.

My consultant also is afraid she's going to lose a lot of customers due to this new and fancy bottle that nobody gives a hoot about. Check yourself either the product the new bottle and no clients but you got a new fancy bottle and a lot less product for $4 and change more we can't afford it and we know how to do math.

P.S. Please change back before I won't have to go nowhere else if it's not broke why try to fix it. Why? That's all I'm saying. Can't be about money. Mary Kay has been around for quite some time. I was thinking about becoming a consultant but now I don't know. I know I'm a circle of friends well I work at office and we want to look good and represent who we are as ** women but we can't afford home family and paying for a product that is going up and we're not getting the product not understand $16 if you added a couple more ounces on to that.... again think about it, please hurry.

I started using Mary Kay somewhere between the 1959-1963. I am now 75 years old. I never had pimples in my life. Now I do. I used all #1 products. I do realize I have aged and our bodies change. Have you ever considered producing the original products again? The original oatmeal mask was especially a wonderful blessing and we mixed it with water. Then it changed and came premixed and that was good too. I always applied mask two nights a week. Now my pores are large and I truly believe if I had the original mask my problems would be solved. I loved the makeup that you put on with water. Now the makeup seems to be greasy. My skin is now dry. I used all the products as instructed.

I do not love the TimeWise products of today. In fact, I really don't love any of them. Yes I do, the Extra Emollient Night Cream. I'm thrilled that it is still available. I was a Mary Kay consultant for several years until I was hired as a civilian employee for the Air Force. Do you remember some years back the Coca-Cola Co. decided to change the coke? They came out with a new name, Classic Coke. That change wasn't a good change and they went back to the old coke recipe. On one side of a can of Coke it says, Coke original formula. Could you not bring the original Mary Kay products back as an option for customers to purchase? Thank you for your time and will look forward to hearing from you.

I have used Mary Kay Cosmetics for more than 40 years. Over the last few years the product has changed and I am no longer happy. Although I have tried some of the "replacement" products, now that I am completely out of Day Radiance I am going to find another line. I realize the desire to be modern, but I see these changes as letting go of your older, faithful customers who, frankly, need your product to remain vital and young looking. I have always credited my 62-year-old-face that looks like I'm 40 to 2 things: good genes and Mary Kay. I will always have good genes but I'm looking for a replacement for Mary Kay.

I am writing to see if anyone other than me gets frustrated with trying to get the mineral powder out for use with the current container? I have used this for many years and like the product. however, am daily ticked because I have to use a brush to "beat" the powder out of the container, which is very small too! I have tried to stay loyal to Mary Kay (started using at 18) and have used for 30+ years. Due to products changing over the years I am only a consumer for certain products now. Wondered if someone has ever considered a different packaging so that consumers can actually use all of the product paid for and don't have to leave a small percentage of product in the container because it's impossible to get it out. Attached is a pic of a brush that I've used to "beat" the powder out of the container. Your thoughts?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mary Kay Cosmetics?

I love Mary Kay products. I have been using the skin care line for a month. What a difference in the feel and look of my skin. I will never buy another line of cosmetics.

Tried already a number of foundations from other brands and Mary Kay's TimeWise liquid foundation was the only one that my skin loved - clean, firm and smooth finish look plus no breakouts after. I'm glad I finally discovered what's perfect for my skin and I'm removing it with regular soap too. I think it's for all skin type so to those who haven't tried it yet and still struggling finding the right product for their skin, maybe all you need is this product of Mary Kay to have that effortlessly flawless skin.

I have used Mary Kay Cream Foundation since 1984 if go I would out. The color was Golden Bronze. Everywhere I would get compliments. I wore crimson to finish and wine berry lipstick. It took me 10 minutes start to finish to do my cleansing and makeup application. I felt confident, amazing, and beautiful. I have purchased the product on and off the last decade hoping to get results. I just recently purchased the Medium Coverage Foundation 504. I can not stay quiet. I don't have any compliments or feedback. I feel dry and my skin looks uneven. PLEASE understand Mary Kay Products were set apart. It was a wonderful and age defying product that other companies had too caught up with. I will also add there is no other product close to the cream foundation yet. I would like to see the foundation return and I know I will become a true fan again.

I have been using Mary Kay day radiance cream since 1972 but now that they have changed their product and no longer make the day radiance cream. I find the makeup hard to apply, very drying to my skin. I have always had dry skin and the day radiance cream was perfect so I will be returning my new makeup and looking for a different brand. I am very disappointed in this company.

First off, I did this to help a friend. This Mary Kay rep had been basically harassing her to have a party. I agreed to this "free facial" thinking how relaxing and what a fun girls night it'd be. Well turned out you do it on yourself. The entire time this rep (name was Crystal I believe) was going on and on about this skin line. I had a headache by the end of it to say the least.

The products were okay but no high end makeup and the price was unreal. She'd said how good it is for your skin yet this girl did not have good skin, she didn't know any of the ingredients. And afterwards I HAD A REACTION. I had blotches all over my face!! This woman had the nerve to try and sell me on a 360 dollar kit when in our heads we were just looking forward to a FREE facial. Which didn't even go well at that. I told her I could never afford that and she tries setting me up for payment plans. THEN she wants my friend to JOIN in that ** establishment. I've met more of these consultants and never given them a time of day since. They are ALL equally money hungry and VERY pushy.

I've been using Mary Kay basic skin care since 1980. I was a consultant for a few years. I can honestly say that I believe these products have kept my skin and myself young looking. That being said, I am now 59 years old and about a year ago they got rid of the original Basics and now have "Timewise". Within 2 weeks of using it I noticed wrinkles in my face. Being a dedicated user, I continued, though every product I try is disappointing. Literally, if I knew of a skin care line that was as good as the originals I would switch in a second.

I find them too expensive for the quality of the product they are selling now. PLUS-- my face feels dry all the time and long gone now is the soft and silky feeling of my face. Now it's just... ugh. Let's just say it isn't soft anymore. I missed the Creamy Cleanser the most, and I miss masking every once in a while. I now use the 3 in 1 facial cleanser and I HATE IT. Just hate it. Every time I use it- I hate it. Shame on Mary Kay cosmetics. If Mary Kay were still alive, she'd fire all of you.

I was contacted by a representative name Porsche that was given to my number to her from my girlfriend Amber, thanks Amber! She text me to death about a free facial and she was going to pamper me, finally I agreed! Worst mistake ever. She came over but the facial is free because you give it to yourself. Then here comes the upsell - it's a great deal starter kit. Btw I am wearing the makeup by now. I said "fine," starter kit come with cute bag, $102.00. Then I am at son's soccer game and he get in car after game and "mom why is your face like that?" I look in mirror and blotches everywhere. I immediately called the representative Porsche and told her to cancel my order. Then she told me that she already did the order when we agreed, she wouldn't give you her till Monday, this was Saturday!

I call Monday to Mary Kay and tell them not to charge my card or credit it back. They tell me they can't do anything until the product is since it's been sent already and once it sent to the representative as she sends it back they credit my credit card! So now I'm responsible for their representative sending my stuff back that's on my car, why don't let that fly. I'm gonna call the bank and I'm going to have a stop payment on that! It's an upsell, I was even nice enough to tell her instead of me buying that product I'd be happy to get some perfume or something else, another purse or something. She just wanted to upsell "all you're getting a great deal at $600 worth of product for only 100. You really should just give it another try."

On top of all of it she signed me up as a selling representative when I didn't want to sell anything and I'm getting emails all weekend long about selling the product! Please just go to mall and get a real facial at Clinique or anything besides this high school bs and get quality products without the upsell and deceit I received on Porsche - a rep for Mary Kay! Please email me.

I ordered and received $300-worth of Mary Kay products. The consultant Caroline hounded me to do a party. I absolutely hate their products!! The primer and mascara irritate my eyes something terrible, they go red and puffy! And their miracle cream makes me break out in pimples!! It is so oily and gross!!! Don't waste your money on these products!!! I cannot get the consultant to return my messages and it's now past 90 days so I can't even return them to get my money back!!!

I just became a Mary Kay Consultant for a few weeks. My experience was the first week of using one of their cleansers. I broke out. I told my director ** about my break out. Her suggestion was that I should try another brand of Mary Kay cleansers and that made my face worst. I could not go to work because of the itching and rashes all over my face. I informed my director ** of my problem. The day I texted her she said she is attending her sister's birthday party and cannot focus on my problem at the time. She never contacted me to find out how I was doing and that was on April 28, 2015.

All the people who brought lipstick from me they complained the lips does not stay on more than a few seconds. I informed my director and she said that lipsticks are not meant to stay on your mouth for a day. That was not correct. I got a bad impression from my director ** that all that matters is recruiting me as consultant so she can make money. The moment I am selling Mary Kay products she has nothing to do with me. I have all my text messages and phone call where she hounded me down to make orders. Mary Kay products are no longer what it used to be. It watering down. I stop using the Mary Kay cleanser and products and my face has cleared up and itching stops. I have the products I invested money in and cannot use them.

I got suckered into "joining" back in 2004, via an old friend, due - severe life changes, and zero $, following my divorce. She'd promised me the business was a great opportunity for me: socially, financially, etc. The 'starter kit' cost me $100 I honestly did not have, but was required for being a new Rep. Atop that, I (Naively) allowed her to order me $300 worth of new product (my cc, of course), that she'd promised I would sell within a week or so: sugar scrubs, shower kits, daily cleansing kits, etc. - Well, 3 weeks later I had sold only 2 scrubs (which were way overpriced for their quality, the "scent" lasting barely a few minutes) and 1 shower kit (a family member who was being nice), and thus left stuck with the other pricey products, I could not sell, to save my life. I ended up having to half-price the rest, just to get rid of it.

MK headquarters was no help, as wasn't the weekly "sales" meets I'd religiously attended. A bunch of red-jackets "praising" each other for, what I'd considered, hugely meager sales totals for the week (generally $50-$150). And a few newer Rep prospects, whom of course never returned (go figure. They weren't fooled) I was too naive then to realize the real, bogus deal. Overall, huge, expensive lesson learned. This is not the 50s, 60s, or 70s when door-sales and solicitations were common, and the community ladies held regular home cosmetic, Tupperware, etc. parties. Very sad to read about others unfortunate experiences with expired product and no-refund. Consumers get ripped off every day, from cosmetic and skincare lines promoting false promises and overrated, pricey products. Caveat Emptor.

Awful products. Company reps don't know the ingredients and you are allowed only one tiny drop of a few products she thinks you'll like. After 90 minutes of drilling and games about becoming a rep, you were told what kit to buy and then taken aside and pressured one on one before you could leave. Then without warning she asked what day you would like as your appointment... she comes out to your house to do your makeup and sell you more products. You are encouraged to have friends come. Then you get text and calls constantly. It's horrible for a person like myself who doesn't want to offend. What's worse is the products are awful! The cleanser is like a greasy cold cream and the moisturizer is waxy. My face broke out in 2 days! Don't use Mary Kay.

Had a Mary Kay party at my house, the ladies told me that I had to go to the store and purchase snacks for the party, so I did. The women were very unprofessional, my Mary Kay lady also brought a friend that sold jewelry. My Mary Kay lady was not very informational, couldn't answer my questions. You can tell that both ladies were just there just to try to make money, they didn't care about their customers at all! I did order a facial scrub, perfume and the eye renewal and paid with my debit card and the lady was supposed to bring me the eye renewal to my job. She never contacted me so when I called her, she tried to say that I did not purchase it. She's not answering any of my phone calls or text messages...

I will never have those women at my house ever again, and I will never order Mary Kay makeup... very upset and disappointed about my experience. She never had me fill out any paperwork for an order and she never left me a receipt for the items that I did purchase. The only receipt that I have is my bank account statement.

I bought $184 worth of makeup product from Mary Kay. The consultant was very pushy and rude to me but I wanted to try it out. I have used makeup from the dollar store that is better quality. I knew it would be a hassle to get a refund, but I didn't know just how much of a hassle. I contacted the consultant who at first would not agree to refund me my money but rather exchange, even though I wanted to return everything. She was insulting and kept ignoring me every time I tried to set something up. I finally called the company but was told they "would talk to her and it may take a little while, we close early today for a retirement party". Great, thanks.

After being called un-Christian, rude, and a thief, for not returning the gift I got for hosting the party (which I didn't have to return) she finally refunded me my money via cheque. I guess we will see if it actually goes through or not. I will never, ever purchase, nor recommend this company to anyone ever again. Horrible customer service and the products are expensive and not quality.

I just bought almost $300 in Mary Kay products, and had a horrible experience with the independent consultant "Collette". First she sold me the wrong color for my skin, second she tried to blame me for her mistakes, and the worse of all was that she was treating me as her employee, not as a client. She was so demanding and abusive. She made me feel awful. I'm a client, I don't work for Mary Kay. After so many demands I got tired and decided to give everything back to her, but she refused to bring me my money. She wants me to work with her schedule, and want me to go to her, and it has been like this since the beginning because she said she was too busy to help me. So if I wanted something I had to go to her. After some text messages, which she was being very bossy, and I was trying to make her understand that I was not her employee, she said she would put me in the small claims. And now I ask, for what? I just don't wanted to have anything to do with her....just wanted my money back, and give her products back. Decide to buy Mary Kay was the worse thing I did.

I started using MK TimeWise products last Friday, 3/9/12. I bought the package which was cleanser, moisturizer, tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, night solution and day Solution. This was all $125, tax included. By Monday, my skin felt very sensitive, and I saw no results. When I woke on Tuesday, my eyes were all puffy, my face was swollen, my skin felt like sandpaper, and I had brown blotches all over. My skin felt like it was shrink-wrapped. On Wednesday morning, I woke and my skin was peeling off and my skin looked horrible.

Now, Friday the 16th, my skin hurts; it is still peeling and flaking off. I have a doctor's appointment later and don't know what will happen to my skin.When I spoke with the rep who sold me the products on Wednesday, she said that I would have to switch to another product in the MK line. Clearly, I will not be doing that.

Mary Kay products were never received. I purchased products from a Ms. Jamie ** of Hendrix Oklahoma a few months ago. She was just starting her business so all items had to be ordered. Each time I contacted the consultant, she would tell me the order was on its way. To make a long story short, she kept my $105. I was supposed to get 1/2 off the retail price of the products. I got nothing! I have always loved the products. It's sad that someone can take advantage and ruin such a good thing.

I have recently bought Mary Kay products for ** who pointed out she was a Mary Kay consultant and has been for seven years. I had spent over $400. And after using the product, my skin is itchy and burning. My eyes swelled.

I later on found out the products were over a year old. This was horrifying. But not only was the products out of date, but she was not a consultant. So no refund, no product exchange or anything. This is very disappointing as she also claims to be one of the top consultants and is using these products on children for school dances. She should not be allowed to do this. Imagine if the parents of these children were to take it further. Knowing she wasn’t a consultant, she is selling/using Mary Kay and harming children.

I purchased the new serum from my friend who sells Mary Kay. I never ever had lines deep under my eyes and now I do after one time use of this product. They are deep. I can’t get rid of them. I was so upset that I gave her the product back. She agreed I never ever had these deep lines until I used this product. Guess what, I still have them almost 2 months later. She told me Mary Kay was going to test what I gave back to her. What’s up with the research? I never once had deep lines below my eyes as I do now after using this new product. I am upset and blown away using a product once and this happened to me. I have always used Estee Lauder and never had a problem. I tried something new and my face is ruined. Ask her, she is shocked herself. And I do have photos of me before and after using this serum one time.

In June of tis year I returned To Mary Kay Inc $400.00 worth of cosmetics Priority to their HQ. I sent the form they had sent me which stated I had until 6-6-01 to return it. I had been a MK rep for about 2 years and never made any money. Their merchandise is non returnable except for 400.00 worth the rest you are stuck with. Also you no longer can be a rep if you return anything.

My husband and I waited until 11-20 01 we never heard anything from them. When my husband called their number they told us that thw paperwork must have been altered because their computer said we had until 1-6-01 to return merh. I told them it was exactly as we recieved it and we had a notarized copy. We then asked for return of the merch they told us that it was destroyed per the agreement. Their only answer was read the agreement. We got a call from a Nancy which reiterated the status quo. So now I am out $400. in merchandise which I could have sold at discount elsewhere postage and time I also have another 300.00 wort Icant do anything with.

Mary Kay preys on women with tis "image" and then rips them off-its ok to buy their stuff but dont complain. I consider that they broke their promise via good faith I returned the merch in good fait and they acted in bad faith. I have since sold Avon and have been making money doing so ie-tey have no problems taking returns. I hope you can help me retrieve my money my husband only returned back to work last month and my daughter just had a baby so we could use this cash.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Mary Kay Ash was an entrepreneur who launched her cosmetics company Beauty by Mary Kay in 1963. Her skincare line for men launched in 1964. Today, three and a half million Mary Kay independent consultants are empowered to sell products online and in person to make a commission and receive discounts on their own Mary Kay products.

• Virtual makeover app: Use Mary Kay’s virtual makeover app, available on the Apple app store, Google Play and the Amazon app store, to get a realistic portrait of how their products will look on you. Virtually test out different shades of eyeshadow, lipstick and more with no risk.
  • Resources: Mary Kay’s online resources include videos and articles that offer beauty advice. Learn ideas for beauty on a budget, tips for every skin tone and more on Mary Kay’s website.
  • Social responsibility: Mary Kay is committed to positively impacting the world with their recycling initiative, sustainability initiative and commitment to ending domestic violence around the world with their “Don’t Look Away” campaign.
  • Personalized attention: Shopping with a Mary Kay beauty consultant gives consumers personalized, individual attention that will help them find the best products for their skin. Shop with a Mary Kay consultant who you know, or find one near you on Mary Kay’s website.
  • Full range of products: Find a full range of fragrances, cosmetics and skin/sun care  products on Mary Kay’s website. Your Mary Kay consultant can help you with all of your skincare needs, from eyeshadow to sunscreen.
  • Best for Mary Kay is best for women who want a personalized skincare shopping experience.

Compare Makeup Brands