3.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

71 Mary Kay Cosmetics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Recently purchase (last Monday to be exact) the TimeWise cleanser and day cream as I have been eyeing it for quite sometimes since it got raves review. 3 days of using I completely stop because my skin become tight, super dry and itchy. Usually my skin is very easy to work with any product but it surprises me as much as disappoint me to make my skin become like this. It also causing burning sensations and I have to slather Vaseline onto my face to avoid it from breaking.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have been a loyal Mary Kay customer for many years. I have sensitive skin and have a hard time finding products that don’t burn my skin, and the TimeWise lotion has kept my skin healthy for years. They recently changed the formula. It is thick and is scented and burns...I now have burn patches all over my face. I can’t believe that I have to find another face cream...so horribly disappointed. Goodbye, Mary Kay. You blew it.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

This product states that it is “suitable for sensitive skin. Oil-and-fragrance-free,” however it HAS a fragrance...a STRONG fragrance. So much so that my nose and throat started itching five minutes after applying it to my neck only! My neck began to turn red and started itching after about ten minutes, so I had to wash everything off and take a Benadryl to avoid a full blown allergic reaction.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have nothing but great things to say about this company. Several years ago or more they had a lip gloss that I loved. They took it off the market because somebody felt something was wrong. Nobody I knew of had any issues with it but because somebody felt something might be wrong. I don't think they've ever been told like other companies out there to quit false advertising also. Mary Kay is very conservative about what they will say a product does. And what I have found it's far more and faster than what they legally can say.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have been using Mary Kay for almost 12 years. Absolutely love the products! I have to say I'm so happy they switch to the new Timewise 3D. I'm looking younger and younger. I think it's funny to read some of the reviews about how the bottles are smaller in actuality. You don't have to buy the night and day solution anymore plus the moisturizer so you're actually saving money. And the Timewise 3D is more concentrated. You only need a pea size amount.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mary Kay Cosmetics?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have used Mary Kay skin care products for the past three years consistently. I have seen a definite improvement in my skin overall as well as enjoyed getting more compliments on looking younger. Consistency is definitely key when it comes to taking care of your skin. I highly recommend the skin care products. The cosmetics can be subjective with everyone having a favorite but the supplements in Mary Kay are some of the best in the industry. From the charcoal mask, to the glycolic peel, to the microdermabrasion set and bio cellulose mask -- all of these amazing products allow for a spa-like experience at home at a more affordable cost. I will be a Mary Kay products user for life!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have been using Mary Kay for 5 years and recently moved to a very dry climate... I use the Repair line and thanks to my Mary Kay my skin has not dried out one bit... I am over 50 and having the best skin of my life. Thank you Mary Kay!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have a twelve year old daughter that was struggling with acne. I took her to the dermatologist and they gave her a cream as they felt it was temporary, but that didn't work. I decided to buy the Clear Proof line as a recommendation from a consultant, I was a bit skeptical at first since I hear most acne treatments dry out the face and more. Well I'm happy to report this was not the case, after 2 weeks of consistent use her face started to look much better and in 4 weeks they were gone. Her skin is very soft and well moisture. I couldn't be more happy with the results.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I've been a Mary Kay skincare user for almost 5 years. It took some adjustment to the "new" formula. But after a lot of adjustment (because your skin needs time to adjust to a new formula) my skin has never looked better. In December Mary Kay launched brand new color formula called Cromafusion! It's fabulous! It lasts all day and I don't even use primer! I love all the products I've tried from MK!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I have been using the TimeWise Miracle 3D skin care products for about 3 months. I love these items and what they have done for my skin. The moisturizers are not heavy and I can see a huge difference in my eczema.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve used Mary Kay products for 30 plus years and have always been happy. I’m sorry to say your new 3D 4-in1 cleanser is not a good product to clean your face. It won’t remove my make-up or eye make-up when I wash my face. It makes my face oily and have a residue that is left behind. I don’t understand why you would change a product like the 3-in1 cleanser for normal/oily skin if it worked so well. I’m now using Dove bar soap until I can find another product that works. I have very sensitive skin and Mary Kay was one that didn’t burn my skin. I’m so disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

45 years. That is how long I have been using MK. Just not as satisfied as I was. Something has changed in the formulas. TimeWise is not same. The eyeshadow no longer stays on even with primer. The lipstick has changed to gel formula, it does not stay on as well. My favorite shade is gone, caramel toffee. I am seriously considering going to CVS and trying something new.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I have been a Mary Kay skin care user for 41 years and have used TimeWise etc. Never disappointed until I was informed that M K has discontinued the original TimeWise line and switch it to TimeWise 3D, purchased the cleanser, toner, day and night cream it and only used it 3 days, it had a heavier texture Vaseline feel to it. My face broke out and felt greasy. What a disappointment, now will have to find a new skin care products, why change a good product? Had to retuned all of it.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Disappointed in the new version Timewise Moisturizer. I have use this product for years and loved it. Now it is thick, greasy and smells? Suppose to be fragrance free. It went from 3 oz to 1.7oz for same price. Really? I will not buy again and am considering not purchasing any Mary Kay products. All my favorites have changed formulas. Why don't they want to cater to people who love their products and come back to something they can trust. Not anymore it appears.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

Beware! My sister-in-law had a Mary Kay party that she won and Tia ** was the beauty consultant. I purchased 3 items for a total cost of 72.08 using my debit card. She recorded my number on the sales slip. A couple of weeks later I received my items. Charge to my card was made shortly after the party. I didn't think anything of it. Month passed and in the month of July I noticed charge activity with her name. After further investigation, she had used my card number and put through 7 charges totaling 208.00. I canceled my card and report it to the bank and Mary Kay.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have used this product for decades but the changes in the formula have given it a greasy feel and even an odd smell even though it is marketed as "fragrance free." The size has been reduced from 3 ounces to 1.7 ounces which is a 43% increase. This is hardly the value I had come to expect from Mary Kay.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

A few weeks after I had gone to a bridal show I received a call from a Mary Kay rep saying that I had won a free "pampering" session for me and up to 5 other girls. The lady claimed that there would be refreshments such as food and beverages there at this "pampering" session and that it would be a totally fun and relaxing experience for me and the other girls. The day comes and me and 3 other friends of mine travel almost an hour away to this Mary Kay studio to meet up with the lady. We get there and awkwardly walk into a meeting with 6-8 older women dressed in all pink. The lady proceeds to walk past them and brings us into a small back room with cheap tables and chairs set up.

We all sit down in front of a small mirror and plastic makeup tray that has tiny ladybug drops of creams, cleansers, etc. The next hour and a half were nothing but awkward and cringe worthy. The lady/sales rep would show us how to use a certain product on our tray and then she would try to explain which tube of product she was holding and she didn't even know! She kept having to reference the tubes to figure out what she was trying to get us to use on our face. After she went over with us how to apply and use the products on our makeup trays she then went on to talk about herself for a good 10-15 minutes. She went on to tell us that in her 19 years of working for Mary Kay she has gotten 7 cars, a ton of trips, and of course bragged about her multiple and unjustified tax write offs.

She then had us fill out an info card about ourselves that only asked us questions about becoming a sales rep like: would you like to become a Mary Kay sales rep today if you were shown how to sell product, etc. After listening to her go on about herself and how she makes so much money from the company... the lady then told us to use our phones and write down the girls in our phones names and numbers to get an item for free. Really what the lady was trying to do was trick us into giving her more clients that she can call/text/bother and probably scam into getting a free "pampering session".

When we were done filling out everything she wanted us to she then tried to pressure us into buying her products and my friends and I already felt uncomfortable and awkward and just wanted to run out the door at this point. We all had to lie to get the lady off our backs by saying we would text her about the product we wanted once we got home since we "didn't have any money on us". Once we were FINALLY free to leave and go home and hopefully never speak about this again. She proceeded to bring us to another small room where our "refreshments" were.

The free snacks she tried enticing me with over the phone were really just leftover dry cookies and cheese that the group of pink wearing ladies from before that were having their meeting had left over and not ate. My friends and I just cringed and said no thanks and quickly got out of there. Now that I'm home I've come to realize my free "pampering" session was really just a scam to get the sales rep more clients/try to convince people to become a sales rep themselves. Overall a horrible experience and I have learned my lesson and will never do business with Mary Kay now or in the future.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

My skin is very sensitive. When I find a brand that works for me I am dedicated to it. Thus Mary Kay is all I use. No advertising will alter my experience.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

Makeup goes on much better with healthy skin and with this product you get both! The new 3D TimeWise is hands down the best skin care you can buy that is on the market today. Not only do they have great skin care products, but the make-up is superb as well. If you are not into make-up, try their skin care products! It will make a world of difference to your skin. One last thing, ladies, wrinkles are a thing of the past with this product! Try it and you will see the results!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Other products use to cause my skin to hurt and sting. My skin has improved and cleared up since using Mary Kay & and it stays in place in humid climates and it feels good.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I enjoy using Mary Kay for 14yrs, have no bad remarks. It's a company that stay solid behind the functions of their products. They do work for the specific functions and you get Amazing results. Botanical set is 100% natural and Acne set is better than these pills that they serve.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Mary Kay continues to deliver incredible products. Moderately priced for the working girl. There are many ways to purchase their products which makes it so easy. Great value too!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have been using this brand makeup for over five years. It feels great on the skin, is non-irritating and the variety of colors makes it an easy choice.

Original review: June 19, 2018

For YEARS I have peered the TimeWise Daily Moisturizer & LOVED it. The tube contained 3 oz of product for $32. Well, I just received my latest order. They have DOWNSIZED the tube to ONLY 1.7 oz & are STILL charging a whopping $32. Talk about CORPORATE GREED. NO MORE!!! I've ordered the LAST of Mary Kay. I hope the unbridled GREED is worth the customer base you will, most definitely, be losing.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I have been using Mary KAY since 1999. The skincare is top notch while affordable. The makeup is amazing too. I love trying before you buy. My consultant is always there to answer my questions. I have NEVER felt pressure to buy products. The company culture is VERY supportive of women donating millions to women’s shelters and diseases that affect women. They are also environmentally friendly using recycled material in packaging.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I sold and used Mary Kay for years and loved it. They gave a great return policy and once you know a salesperson you always have an in to get the product.

Original review: May 19, 2018

I was invited to the Grand Opening of a friend’s Mary Kay business. Initially, I blew it off because I felt that I would be pressured into buying things and that it would be a waste of time. I was part of a group of people that were invited to this grand opening. The day of the grand opening, no one showed up. Therefore, my friend and her trainer/mentor rescheduled it for today. I got a text on Monday from her mentor stating how important it was for me to attend the grand opening on Saturday morning because if she didn’t have any models, she wouldn’t be able to be trained.

So here I was thinking that I was going to get a facial and some make up and everything. The grand opening began at 9:45 AM. I got there 5 minutes late thinking that I was really going to embarrass my friend with my tardiness. However, when I walked in, they were not even set up and ready. They ran 15 minutes behind and all of the guests just stood around awkwardly waiting for the grand opening to begin. It was awful. The facial that we were supposed to receive, we did ourselves. So here I drove 35 minutes out of my way on my Saturday morning under the impression that my friend’s training was absolutely contingent on my attendance. She didn’t touch me once.

I did my own facial and applied my own make-up while listening to her mentor give a seminar on the history of Mary Kay, all of their products, and how much money she has earned with Mary Kay. I would have rather have spent the night in jail than to sit through all of that crap. It was horrible. They also promised us a complimentary continental breakfast, which by the time we were allowed to eat it, it was 12:00 noon. So that defeated the purpose. It was just so turned off by the entire experience.

Towards the end we played a “game” which consisted of going through our phones and writing down as many females contacts as possible. So they tricked us into giving them leads under the impression that we would win a prize. We didn’t win any prizes. When I got home, I was so furious. I also read that many other consumers had broken out in either hives or acne bumps after using their products. I immediately showered and scrubbed all of their products off. I understand in sales that “if you’re not lying, you’re not trying,” but this experience took the cake.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I have a very close friend who became a MK consultant not too long ago... maybe two months. She gave me a makeover and it was a good time. While she was giving me the low down on all of the products for 2 hours, I wanted to kill myself. I purchased the $200 kit along with blush, eyeshadow. (I DID NOT WANT THE LIPSTICK)!! She said my lipstick made me look like a corpse. The bronzer was a good buy. I also purchased brushes and blush, which I liked. Needless to say, I spent $345 for the kit and kaboodle. No problem. I got home the next day and was overwhelmed with all of the steps needed to put on the makeup in the morning and evening.

I was at work and noticed how bad the foundation looked on my face. With all of the moisturizers, I looked like the Valdez Oil spill. Because she is a very good friend, I took the hit. The nighttime moisturizer burns the heck out of my face. What I didn't appreciate, was her telling me how badly my makeup looked (before) and I would look much better with MK products. Needless to say, I am going back to my CoCo Chanel!!! All of the MK products will be in the trash. Moisturizers, base, cover up, cleanser and that damn lipstick she made me buy! The only thing I liked the loose powder and the brushes!

Original review: April 17, 2018

I ordered from a friend of mine that started out with Mary Kay, out of state, and I wanted her to succeed so I ordered from her. A month and a half went by and no order. I contacted Mary Kay Corp on April 17, 2018. I received a call back 9 hours later and the Rep on the phone came up with 100 excuses why I never received my order. I am NOT mad at my friend, but with the Rep that called me. She explained my credit card WAS charged and she needed me to verify that the card WAS charged. BUT I received an email explaining to me that my credit card was never charged. HMMMMM... let's see... Mary Kay says I was NOT charged and then all of a sudden I was charged a month and a half ago, today.

I am in Law School and this is a GREAT example of a civil lawsuit waiting to happen. If they did indeed charge me for my order in either February when I placed my order, or (today) in April when I contacted Mary Kay about my order, they are GUILTY on both accounts of fraud. As a Corporation, they committed fraud by not charging me as in agreement with buying the products and then, as they agreed on the phone that they did charge me or they did charge me. If they did charge me again, in April, when they contacted me by phone, they are committing fraud without my knowledge. This company has lost my faith in them and I will NEVER purchase from them again. Buyer Beware! Consultants... find something else to do with your time!!!

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have read many of the reviews about Mary Kay and am quite surprised by many of them... Mary Kay has been in business since 1963. The format pretty much remains the same, except now there is social media. You invite people to have a pampering party, and you are shown the products, you get to use them, find your color, like or not like something, and buy or not buy. The fact that many of you felt you were "duped" means you read more into this than it was. An MK consultant cannot touch your face... you must do that. How many of you really felt you were getting a free salon facial for free? Why would someone do that? This is how Mary Kay advertises... thru consultants. Not all are good, not all are reliable, but many, many love this business and are excellent at it! Next time look it up on the computer so you know what you are getting in to... or call the consultant!

Mary Kay Cosmetics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mary Kay Ash was an entrepreneur who launched her cosmetics company Beauty by Mary Kay in 1963. Her skincare line for men launched in 1964. Today, three and a half million Mary Kay independent consultants are empowered to sell products online and in person to make a commission and receive discounts on their own Mary Kay products.

• Virtual makeover app: Use Mary Kay’s virtual makeover app, available on the Apple app store, Google Play and the Amazon app store, to get a realistic portrait of how their products will look on you. Virtually test out different shades of eyeshadow, lipstick and more with no risk.

• Resources: Mary Kay’s online resources include videos and articles that offer beauty advice. Learn ideas for beauty on a budget, tips for every skin tone and more on Mary Kay’s website.

• Social responsibility: Mary Kay is committed to positively impacting the world with their recycling initiative, sustainability initiative and commitment to ending domestic violence around the world with their “Don’t Look Away” campaign.

• Personalized attention: Shopping with a Mary Kay beauty consultant gives consumers personalized, individual attention that will help them find the best products for their skin. Shop with a Mary Kay consultant who you know, or find one near you on Mary Kay’s website.

• Full range of products: Find a full range of fragrances, cosmetics and skin/sun care  products on Mary Kay’s website. Your Mary Kay consultant can help you with all of your skincare needs, from eyeshadow to sunscreen.

• Best for: Mary Kay is best for women who want a personalized skincare shopping experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs