Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!
  2. Shopping
  3. Makeup Brands

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.42/5

Mary Kay Cosmetics Reviews

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

I have used Mary Kay cosmetics for over 40 years. I am now 78 years old and do not any wrinkles save for a few lines around my mouth. Mary Kay has a wide range of products targeting dry, combination, and oily skin that seem to work for everyone.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

This company has a wide variety of products. I have been using them for years & receive numerous compliments regarding my face. People ask what products I use. The MaryKay representative is always very knowledgeable, helpful & willing to take back or exchange anything that may not be working for you. She is also willing to spend time with you selecting the best product for you.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I'm shocked to read so many negative reviews. I had a great experience with the product. I first used the normal/dry TimeWise Miracle 3D set, and I noticed an instant difference in brightness and cleanliness. Then I started getting some acne. My consultant advised I try the combination/oily formula instead (I exchanged it all for free). It's been two weeks, the acne is gone, and I get regular compliments on more even skin tone, less redness, more radiance, and just better confidence in myself, too. Love it. My advice is, if you have a bad consultant, that isn't the company failing you, it's the consultant. It's worth finding a consultant you trust, who will work with you on returns and refunds if you need them, and someone who will work with you and your particular skin care needs.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I give two thumbs up to MK products! Have been their customer off and on since the 80's and have absolutely no complaints! The day cream makes my eyes water a little at first, but that's the only negative thing, otherwise everything is great and I'm 55 years old and people are always asking me, "what's your secret?" Just reordered $400 worth of stuff and can't wait to get it! And let me mention also, how sweet and courteous and super helpful my sales rep, Jess is, she's tops!

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been faithfully using Mary Kay products for over 25 years and I will never use another product. I'm turning 50 this year and I get many compliments on how young I look and that my skin looks wonderful. People think I'm in my younger 30's. I've tried other product lines and in comparison, they were too harsh, heavy, stinky, or just not for me. I've been to places with my sons and have been mistaken for their sister, which makes me feel great. I believe in the Mary Kay products and know that they continue to improve them. Just like technology, products are constantly changing; same for Mary Kay. I will say, as a Beauty Consultant, the products are not for everyone. People get used to a product and then the company changes it. Unfortunately, changes are not always better and we lose customers. If products are returned to me, the customer will receive a 100% refund.

I always try a product before telling my customers about it. If I don't love it, I won't try to sell it. The company welcomes your comments, feedback, and suggestions. For the customers that their skin broke out, were you using the correct TimeWise 3D formula for normal/dry or oily/combination? If skin breaks out, you may be using the wrong formula. Switching the formula will work and I've had great customer success stories. Unfortunately, there are places where the water has been the culprit and made the products not work for everyone. I've read many of these reviews and feel sorry for those that had a negative experience with Mary Kay or one of their consultants. It is a wonderful company to work for and I believe in their products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mary Kay Cosmetics?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

I needed to return a product and the consultant they assigned me to told me to send pics of the product. I did that and explained why I wanted to return the product. She basically ignored me after that. I called the Mary Kay customer service line. Less than helpful. They told me they will reach out to her and she would contact me in 2 business days. Nothing. I then sent a email to Mary Kay with all info, pics of product, copy of emails to my so-called consultant. They asked for more info, which I provided. It’s been a week and nothing. Do yourself a favor and go to an actual store/make-up counter with a real consultant who wants you to be happy with their product. Mary Kay should be ashamed of themselves.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Had tried products in the past, they were ok. Nothing special. Eyeshadow pigmentation disappointing. Not much of a variety. Prefer other brands. Won a “free microdermabrasion facial” “pampering session” from a local restaurant, definitely wasn’t expecting to show up to a sales pitch, trying to be recruited as a rep and the facial being pea sized product I’d put on myself. To call that a microdermabrasion facial is laughable. Nothing pampering about trying to be sold a ton of expensive skincare products you don’t need and being hammered about joining the sales team. I do love makeup but was only shown 1 eyeliner and 4 eyeshadows. And even with a $25 gift certificate still paid $7 for 1 liquid shadow and eyeliner pen.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Terrible customer service! Called to cancel an order. Was told "cross your fingers" to see if they could cancel the order. I have been a consultant for two years and I have never been this disappointed! Customer service rep was very dismissive. I ask for a supervisor and was transferred to a voicemail without being told I was being transferred to a voicemail. Was also told that NO refunds are given and I cannot exchange the products for something else. Will be sharing this experience with anyone who is interested in Mary Kay. I have never had anything bad to say about Mary Kay and actually promoted all products for the last two years. I will never do that again and I will actually encourage people to stay away from this brand from now on since this was the experience I had. I cannot stand by a brand that does not even have compassion for the people that sell it. What a joke!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I have been with the Mary Kay company for 17 years as an Independent Beauty Consultant. In that time I have seen many changes to the product line and many price increases with those changes. I have always been able to roll with the changes however with this new foundation line, I can't even begin to tell you all of the problems encountered by myself and my customers. First of all, you have to go through endless samples to even narrow it down to find a few possibilities. Every shade is so very specific that if you get the slightest tan, you have to change your entire shade. It's virtually impossible to find your shade without cutting open endless sample packets because they don't at all match the shades in the Look book.

The old formulas were simple and the sample packets had a see-through window to assess color. Whoever came up with this new foundation idea has created a nightmare for me and my customers. So if you are not annoyed enough, now MK has about a hundred new numbers of shades and lists them in N, W, and C. It's all just too much! I think this may be the end of my Mary Kay career.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

The minutes I put the day and night cream on my eyes started burning then the itching. I am sitting at my desk and my coworkers ask me, "What's wrong with your face." My face was red and I had welts under my eyes. I use Mary Kay's year ago and had no issues. I cannot use these products anymore.

Mary Kay Cosmetics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mary Kay Ash was an entrepreneur who launched her cosmetics company Beauty by Mary Kay in 1963. Her skincare line for men launched in 1964. Today, three and a half million Mary Kay independent consultants are empowered to sell products online and in person to make a commission and receive discounts on their own Mary Kay products.

• Virtual makeover app: Use Mary Kay’s virtual makeover app, available on the Apple app store, Google Play and the Amazon app store, to get a realistic portrait of how their products will look on you. Virtually test out different shades of eyeshadow, lipstick and more with no risk.

• Resources: Mary Kay’s online resources include videos and articles that offer beauty advice. Learn ideas for beauty on a budget, tips for every skin tone and more on Mary Kay’s website.

• Social responsibility: Mary Kay is committed to positively impacting the world with their recycling initiative, sustainability initiative and commitment to ending domestic violence around the world with their “Don’t Look Away” campaign.

• Personalized attention: Shopping with a Mary Kay beauty consultant gives consumers personalized, individual attention that will help them find the best products for their skin. Shop with a Mary Kay consultant who you know, or find one near you on Mary Kay’s website.

• Full range of products: Find a full range of fragrances, cosmetics and skin/sun care  products on Mary Kay’s website. Your Mary Kay consultant can help you with all of your skincare needs, from eyeshadow to sunscreen.

• Best for: Mary Kay is best for women who want a personalized skincare shopping experience.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team