3.33/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mary Kay Cosmetics

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mary Kay Cosmetics Reviews

Original review: July 6, 2019

I'm shocked to read so many negative reviews. I had a great experience with the product. I first used the normal/dry TimeWise Miracle 3D set, and I noticed an instant difference in brightness and cleanliness. Then I started getting some acne. My consultant advised I try the combination/oily formula instead (I exchanged it all for free). It's been two weeks, the acne is gone, and I get regular compliments on more even skin tone, less redness, more radiance, and just better confidence in myself, too. Love it. My advice is, if you have a bad consultant, that isn't the company failing you, it's the consultant. It's worth finding a consultant you trust, who will work with you on returns and refunds if you need them, and someone who will work with you and your particular skin care needs.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I have been faithfully using Mary Kay products for over 25 years and I will never use another product. I'm turning 50 this year and I get many compliments on how young I look and that my skin looks wonderful. People think I'm in my younger 30's. I've tried other product lines and in comparison, they were too harsh, heavy, stinky, or just not for me. I've been to places with my sons and have been mistaken for their sister, which makes me feel great. I believe in the Mary Kay products and know that they continue to improve them. Just like technology, products are constantly changing; same for Mary Kay. I will say, as a Beauty Consultant, the products are not for everyone. People get used to a product and then the company changes it. Unfortunately, changes are not always better and we lose customers. If products are returned to me, the customer will receive a 100% refund.

I always try a product before telling my customers about it. If I don't love it, I won't try to sell it. The company welcomes your comments, feedback, and suggestions. For the customers that their skin broke out, were you using the correct TimeWise 3D formula for normal/dry or oily/combination? If skin breaks out, you may be using the wrong formula. Switching the formula will work and I've had great customer success stories. Unfortunately, there are places where the water has been the culprit and made the products not work for everyone. I've read many of these reviews and feel sorry for those that had a negative experience with Mary Kay or one of their consultants. It is a wonderful company to work for and I believe in their products.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I attended a Mary Kay party many years ago...probably in the 80's! One of my friends decided to host it for a friend of hers that was beginning her business. I knew from the beginning that this was to be an instructional facial as the consultants have a "no customer contact" clause in their agreement. I figured that was fine because I wanted to be able to learn how to apply the products anyway.

The party was fun and I loved the way she began with a hand treatment then had the table set with individual trays with mirrors and products for everyone's specific skin type. After the introductions and a bit of the consultant's story as to why she decided to begin her business and a few minutes about the history of the company and the fact that they donate millions to domestic violence shelters and cancer research she asked if we had any questions. I was quite impressed with the philosophy of the company.

She then began to instruct us on the application of each product and while everyone was doing their thing she explained each product and the ingredients in it. Well at the end my face felt wonderful so I purchased the whole set for approximately $125 at that time. I received my products and began using them faithfully and noticed that my face was breaking out. The consultant had called me about two weeks after I began using it for a follow up to see how I was doing and I told her my situation. She said UK try using it for another two weeks and these were the impurities in my skin coming out and it would clear up. I kept using it and each time she called to check up on how I was doing I told her...no better and I wanted to return my products and just get a refund. She apologized and asked when a good time was to get together. Within 2 days she had her products back and I had my full refund!

Fast forward to 2013...a friend of my son's was a director and was having an Army Mom's appreciation day at her home. I told her of my past experience and she said they now had a new Timewise Repair skincare. I figured I'd go and not purchase anything...well...that day when I finished with the facial my skin felt fantastic. Because the set was expensive I only purchased the cleanser, serum and night cream with retinol. I began using it and my I actually began getting compliments on my skin from friends. I then purchased the day cream and used what I had for a few more months.

I loved it so much I decided to become a personal use consultant. That way I could get my products for half price! I did this for about three months then all of my friends wanted me to have a party at my home so they could try this great product. I had invited 5 guests and my Director ran the party and all of them purchased the Skincare which I used plus some makeup. I still did not was to recruit people as I am retired and just wanted to service my friends and get my own products. Well, my friends told their friends and I began building quite a large client base. I now have approximately 125 clients all via word of mouth. I know this is not a huge profit after expenses but it is extra cash which affords us the luxury of visiting our son and his family wherever he is stationed and a few extras.

The main thing I can say about this business is one must believe in the product, the philosophy of the company and most of all deliver exceptional customer service. I still do not actively recruit; however, I do have a team member... a friend who has signed up for personal use! It seems that the issues most people who have commented here is with their consultant not delivering the type of customer service she should be... plus not being knowledgeable about the products. When something doesn't work for a customer then it should be changed or a refund given. All I can say, speaking only for myself, is that my skin has never looked better and people cannot believe that I am going to be 69 years old!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have used Mary Kay skin care products for the past three years consistently. I have seen a definite improvement in my skin overall as well as enjoyed getting more compliments on looking younger. Consistency is definitely key when it comes to taking care of your skin. I highly recommend the skin care products. The cosmetics can be subjective with everyone having a favorite but the supplements in Mary Kay are some of the best in the industry. From the charcoal mask, to the glycolic peel, to the microdermabrasion set and bio cellulose mask -- all of these amazing products allow for a spa-like experience at home at a more affordable cost. I will be a Mary Kay products user for life!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have a twelve year old daughter that was struggling with acne. I took her to the dermatologist and they gave her a cream as they felt it was temporary, but that didn't work. I decided to buy the Clear Proof line as a recommendation from a consultant, I was a bit skeptical at first since I hear most acne treatments dry out the face and more. Well I'm happy to report this was not the case, after 2 weeks of consistent use her face started to look much better and in 4 weeks they were gone. Her skin is very soft and well moisture. I couldn't be more happy with the results.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mary Kay Cosmetics?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Mary Kay has often discontinued products I love, but no love is worth the torture and death of animals. It has come to my attention that Mary Kay, which had previously discontinued testing its products on animals, has resumed this cruel practice. My experience with the company has certainly had its ups and downs over the decades, but this is the end of the relationship. The reason for the reversal is money, love of money, which, as they say, is the root of evil.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I made an order from Mary Kay. And mistakenly chose the wrong shade of foundation. I wrote to them immediately about this and I was advised to return the order however, I was shocked when I was told that they can not exchange the product to the shade I wanted. Because I supposed to have a check before placing the order. I admitted to them that it was an honest error but they refused to help. All the products were returned to them as they were posted to me, unopen, and unused. Within the 30 days specified in their policy. What kind of organisation is this that refused to abide by their own policy. This is shocking! They claim to be empowering women. What kind of empowerment is this?

Original review: July 18, 2019

After 20 years of using the Timewise cleanser and moisturizer, which I loved, I am now leaving Mary Kay. Just tried their new Timewise and the feeling, and the burning was so awful, I tried to wash it off my face. Why in the world would they change a good thing. Contacted my consultant and told her to pick it up and give me a refund. Goodbye Mary Kay!

Original review: June 30, 2019

I was an Independent Consultant for several years and prior to that I had used these products for years. However when they changed their formula I got chemical burns on my face. I sent in a lot of documentation and was given the run around. I can’t and won’t back a company whose products literally burn my skin and cause lasting skin issues. My eyes remain dry and very sensitive now since these chemical burns. I did see my ophthalmologist and medical doctor. I also quit selling because if it did that to my face and skin I sure don’t want it doing that to my customers. What was once a brand that couldn’t be beat is now worse than ever now. Our founder is probably turning over in her grave now since the company she worked so hard to build up has went down the drain with quality.

Original review: June 21, 2019

I had no trouble with the original Timewise formula. Unfortunately, the new 4-in-1 formula broke my face out and left my skin feeling unclean/sticky. I also did not like the new scent. I’ve been using Mary Kay for years, but I’m sad to say that I will have to find a new product.

Mary Kay Cosmetics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Mary Kay Ash was an entrepreneur who launched her cosmetics company Beauty by Mary Kay in 1963. Her skincare line for men launched in 1964. Today, three and a half million Mary Kay independent consultants are empowered to sell products online and in person to make a commission and receive discounts on their own Mary Kay products.

• Virtual makeover app: Use Mary Kay’s virtual makeover app, available on the Apple app store, Google Play and the Amazon app store, to get a realistic portrait of how their products will look on you. Virtually test out different shades of eyeshadow, lipstick and more with no risk.

• Resources: Mary Kay’s online resources include videos and articles that offer beauty advice. Learn ideas for beauty on a budget, tips for every skin tone and more on Mary Kay’s website.

• Social responsibility: Mary Kay is committed to positively impacting the world with their recycling initiative, sustainability initiative and commitment to ending domestic violence around the world with their “Don’t Look Away” campaign.

• Personalized attention: Shopping with a Mary Kay beauty consultant gives consumers personalized, individual attention that will help them find the best products for their skin. Shop with a Mary Kay consultant who you know, or find one near you on Mary Kay’s website.

• Full range of products: Find a full range of fragrances, cosmetics and skin/sun care  products on Mary Kay’s website. Your Mary Kay consultant can help you with all of your skincare needs, from eyeshadow to sunscreen.

• Best for: Mary Kay is best for women who want a personalized skincare shopping experience.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs