3.22/5
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

32 MAC Cosmetics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Last Saturday 03/11 I had a wedding and a friend and I asked for a lot of time in advance a date for makeup at the MAC store of Aventura Mall in Florida. When we arrived there were a lot of people in the store and all the make-up artists were busy, my friend's appointment was at 4pm and mine at 4:30 pm. She went first, I kept waiting for my turn, it was 4:40 pm and nobody attended to me. Finally the manager arrived in a hurry and did not even bother to clean my face before proceeding to make up, hydration was a lot to ask! When I asked her why She didn't clean my face first, he got upset and threw 2 wet wipes for me to do it by myself. She left and didn´t come back anymore.

I was already nervous because I was shortening the time to get to the ceremony and I could not find another place to put on makeup at 5pm. I got tears from my nerves and the helplessness of not being able to do anything. The makeup artist who was attending my friend tried to solve the situation and, she gift me a lipstick. So, I got another make-up artist, who did a good job, but I had never felt so mistreated in my life before. It should be noted that the service was not for free. I paid $ 60 plus the tip. The star is for the make-up artist who finally attended me.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

At the Park Place Mall in Tucson, Arizona I stood patiently in line to purchase a repeat foundation. It was clear that I was waiting. While waiting for 10 minutes other customers demanded to be wait upon and the sales clerks enabled this rude behavior by letting them cut in front.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I had a very bad experience in MAC Cosmetics POS in Amsterdam Airport in the morning of Sept. 16th. I had purchased MAC Cosmetics before (in London) and loved the product and the service at the point that I was looking for more products to buy on that day in Amsterdam. When I stepped in, the shop was empty, and the two Sales Attendants were chatting by themselves in local language - no greetings. I started looking around and trying on some lip pencils and after few minutes one of the girls approached me asking how she could have helped. I told her I was looking for a nude lip pencil and lipsticks to go with and she, after indicating me the area (it was in front of me) she continued what she was doing before, leaving me to check and choose by myself.

I had no idea which color was matching better my skin color so I kept on trying with no success. After that she came again, with serious face, asking if I had decided. I answered no, had a look around and left. I was definitely disappointed by the rudeness of the Attendants of such an international and actually good brand. I will definitely buy again MAC because the quality and the price are great, but not in that POS.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I've read a lot of negative reviews about MAC just now and I'm shocked. I've been using their product for a few years and it's my favorite and my go-to makeup. I own a LOT of makeup such as Urban Decay, Tarte, Jacklyn Hill, BH cosmetics, Too Faced, etc. And out of all of them MAC is my favorite. Though Urban Decay and Lorac is just as good, my MAC stays on all day. I also like how I can choose colors for my palette. I spent $55 on a palette with 7 colors of my choosing. I don't know of any company that lets you do that. I love this product and would recommend it to anyone. Always try before you buy things. Now this makeup isn't cheap but it's highly pigmented and blends well. My favorite color is the smokey mauve. You can use it for a smokey eye (my favorite to do) or a sweetheart look.

As for the employees, unlike many other people who reviewed on here who had negative service, my service varies from expected service to great service. They always striked up conversation and got me what I wanted. I think MAC is the better makeup company out there. Hands down. My name is Rose and I'm from Plymouth, MI.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

MAC is a really good brand, the value for your money is great and you'll love how you look and how great it is to your skin. The product serves woman of every age group.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MAC Cosmetics?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

The quality and selection of this make up brand is the best! I have used it 25 years now and other than using Bobbi Brown as well are happy with the results.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Minus 1 rating. Please teach these girls customer service skills. I stopped going to M.A.C. Cosmetics in the Macy's store in Aventura Mall, Aventura, Florida because of the rudeness of the girls behind the mac counter. Yesterday was my 3rd and probably last visit to the M.A.C. store within the Aventura Mall. Salesgirl Janelle was quite rude! I have many other options to purchase makeup! M.A.C. Human resources please train your girls in customer service or you will be losing customers.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

I bought this product (MAC INSTACURL LASH) on the advice of the sales assistant. It would have to be the worst mascara I have ever bought and used. The wand is thick so therefore my lashes become thick and stick together and it takes a very long time to dry. The applicator can be wound out straight or curved, I wished I had been told this before I purchased. Do not buy this product. There are many more out there that are cheaper and easier to use, that give you a professional look.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I had a horrible experience with one of the girls in Mac in Flatiron Mall, Broomfield, CO in spite of buying $100 product because I just asked her to try the product before I buy. She not only refused in a rude manner but also said to me that she does not like me. I asked for her manager. She got one of the other girls in the store and they both said they are tired of helping the customers and they are done for the day while it was just 3:30 pm. I have been buying MAC products and I was treated this way, I went to buy eyelashes but I didn't buy them and even today I have not bought because of this rude behavior. This should be escalated because such people should not be in customer facing environment.

Original review: June 5, 2018

MAC had great service. I use the foundation and it’s very smooth. Love the concealer, works wonders. I have used the eyeliner gel and it’s very clean putting on. I also love their lipsticks because they have a variety of colors.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I do like the lipsticks (colors and somehow they wear) for the most part, seemingly allergic to something in their eyeshadow and only theirs? NOW, onto the brow pencils, the last two I used with nearly every stroke they would break off and no I don’t open it too far, I’ve taken photos of the size pieces that would break off. I sent them these photos along with a message on their Facebook page as the store I purchased from is 25 miles away. They responded to take them to the store for exchange (too far plus first one gone), and then gave me an address to customer or consumer care to write to which I did and NEVER heard back from them.

I bought through Mac in Ulta and that is an issue in itself. The Mac employees out of an official Mac store aren’t as friendly or experienced in my experiences with them! But my nearest Mac store is an hour and a half away, boo. So now I’m out literally like $35 for two pencils I may have gotten less than half dozen eyebrows filled in. What a rip off and lousy customer service, customer service is so bad everywhere anymore but when it’s good I’m sure to give lots of business and praise because I’ve worked in the industry and I know how to treat people correctly and follow through.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I booked an appointment at Edgars East Rand mall Boksburg 1459 for my birthday on the 31st of March. I went for makeup at 3 and the lady asked me if I want lashes or mascara and I asked the lady if the lashes were included in the R500 for makeup and she said yes. When I was done and paid R500 she came back and said it's short R220 for lashes. We debated and since I was late I paid and left. I am not happy at all. Please see this matter through and get back to me. How can I pay R220 for fake lashes. Thank you!!!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Bought liquid lipstick from Nykaa... Divine. Very much dissatisfied with the product. Very thick and does not spread on the lips evenly and give appearance of paint rather than lipstick... Already using SO ME and very happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I started out purchasing Mac as a permanent makeup solution for fashion, media, social outing, and professionalism. I went back the Carlsbad Mall and was approached by a saleswoman, demonstrating how to use the Mac makeup for under eyes. I did not agree with the saleswoman at the time and I said, "No thank you, I just need a eye liner, over from there." She guaranteed it will make my eye shine but I said, "My pupils are shiny enough." She responded, "Your eye's like around your eyebrows, but all around the eyes." I responded, "No thank you, I just need liner." She replied, "Like the one in your hand." I said, "I'm going to pay for it as soon as I make it to the counter." The saleswoman says, "My station, right here" and I replied "Before the checkout stand?" The saleswoman replied, "Yes." I replied, "I only need this eyeliner" and she says, "Is it liquid, is liquid eyeliner." I said, "No, just eyeliner, something I can put on."

The saleswoman jumped in my face and I went forward and landed near her work chair but was not sitting. The saleswoman say, "You're already over here, just allow me to put this, do your eyebrow, eyeliner." I said, "I don't think I would like it." I tried to make it to the checkout counter, and the saleswoman notice me trying to leave and said, "Just let put, what color do you prefer," and notice the black eyeliner in my hand. By then the lady at the checkout had left and returned and walk to me to say, "Just let her put on the makeup." I said "It is eyeliner. You're on your own."

The saleswoman asked the checkout lady, "Do you prefer liquid or the old eyeliner pencil?" The checkout lady say, "Liquid. I have it now." The saleswoman says, "That is what I am trying to explain, the pencil is old news, liquid is what is in." I said, "I rather keep the old pencil." The saleswoman says, "Why?" I said, "How long does it take to dry?" She says, "You can't answer a question with a question. Just sit back and let me." She then attempted to grab her makeup gear and I sprinted the checkout stand and left the eyeliner and the mall.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Love Mac products, however their lipsticks don't last on your lips for a long time. The Liptensity line is supposed to last for hours but doesn't last for longer than 15 mins.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Mac has changed its formula in their lip gloss by adding coconut oil. I have noticed since wearing the Lush Glass my lips burn and peel which cause me to have to now moisturizer my lips before gloss or completely stop using gloss because of the change in the formula. Also MAC has discounted the Dazzleglass (per MAC Associates) which looks great on us girls with naturally plump lips.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I got a cosmetic kit from MAC in January 2017. When I got the kit I realized that both lipsticks included are dried out and low quality. I sent them back (paid ~$15 for shipping) and asked for refund or replacement, as they said they would do if the customer was unhappy and sent back the product, but nothing has happened after more than 3 months of sending them back their product. Not even an email of explanation! I am so unhappy! Don't buy from them! I need to add that I also got some other products that I liked, but this one was more pronounced to me, so I would give 0 stars if I could!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

From personal experience. Although it fits my skin tone better than most details are skipped on product longevity. The product is good and has a variety of products for all skin tone.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Very innovative company for women of all diversities. Great selection. Quality products. Fun and special themed collections. Not tested on animals in the US. I love their innovative products and colors. They are a bit pricey but they last a long time and they have unique collections. Negative - It concerns me that their products sold out of the US may be tested on animals as I emailed them about this.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I love the variety of colors in the MAC line. I especially love the lipstick because the color you see in the tube is the color that goes on my lips! It doesn't change!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

It last longer on my face and a Latin it's hard to find makeup that define your skin and with Mac I found it. I love the products but I hate customer service. The lack of Hispanic employee to understand our need and skin make it hard to shop in the store.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Foundation is smooth and gentle. Good shades to choose from, lip gloss great colors. Blush very smooth and stays for a long time. Eye pencil goes on smooth. It stays for quite a time, doesn't go smudgy. If it waterproof it stays for a long time. It is easy to clean with clear water. I like the way it stays all day long. I've got no idea what components they use but I do know that they test on animals and I do not appreciate that. I would like for them to go more natural and green. It is not the only brand I use but I like to use it. It is cheap but good for the product quality. I would definitely recommend the brand for all kind of people.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

It is a brand that contains much variety and so recommend. You find a lot of professional and personal use from brushes, blushes, powders, fasteners, foundation, lipstick contain a variety of colors. I am very satisfied with everything they sell as this check for professional results and each product will fulfill its promises and fulfill my high expectations. Its quality is the best because as said it's for professional use therefore containing good products, and its price is worth it for the good product you are selling me. I feel the price is a little expensive but clear with how good is the product. I'm willing to pay a little more to receive such quality.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

My favorite thing about MAC products would be their lipstick. I love the fact that it comes in a multitude of colors, as well as matte and gloss finishes. MAC products are always one of my favorites to use. Between the variety of products and colors I always feel happier and prettier wearing them. The quality of MAC products is amazing. It leaves my skin feeling natural rather then looking greasy or like I caked on a bunch of product. Between the variety of MAC products and the natural look on my skin makes purchasing MAC well worth the value. One of my favorite brands to use.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Bronzer, eyeliner, lipstick, eyeshadow, sometimes the brushes that are included, foundation matte, foundation is also good to use. Does not crease like other ones. It works well. Best I have used. Worth the price for sure if you're willing to spend the cash cause this isn't cheap but I used to use real and covergirl but does not compare to this Mac brand at all. Very long lasting makeup and is easy to take off. Doesn't penetrate in the skin, not too heavy like the other ones I have used. The lipstick stays thru anything and I mean anything. I'd recommend to anyone who's had problems with their previous makeup and will see great results. The price is worth it for the quality of the makeup.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Mac has a variety of products that one can never imagine. Lovely range of products. I am extremely happy with the product. I will definitely recommend it to others. The quality of the products are A1. Very good product for all types of skin. The product brought a great value to my life. The best product I have ever used. I am indeed very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

They offer everything. Eye products, face, lips, even nails. Plus they have amazing skin care. They offer tons of different finishes on products. Matte, shimmer, etc. They come out with different collections and limited edition products. They have beautiful highlighters. The quality is amazing and it is a great price point. I love the way their products work. I use their fix plus spray every single morning before applying my foundation. Plus it is perfect for using to spray on an eye brush and make eye shadows more vibrant. I never have a problem with eye liners or mascara smearing. Which is a huge plus because most other brands smudge like crazy. Everything I use lasts all day and stays looking just as it was when I first applied. The quality of all of their products are top of the line. The pigmentation in the eye shadows, blushes, lipsticks, lip liners, etc. are amazing. Never blotchy or patchy. They stay put for hours.

Lots of companies come out with limited edition products but it seems like the quality is less than the regular line but Mac's limited edition items are the exact formula as the rest of the line. I do believe some items are priced a little high for the amount of product that comes in certain pans but the value of the products are so good that I never mind. A lot of their skin primers, sprays, and moisturizers have completely changed appearance of the way my skin looks after applying foundation. It never looks heavy or dry.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Well they all the usual eyeliners, lipsticks, foundations so I wish they would come up with a different variety or something new like deep blue eyeliner or lipstick. Something different to explore. I am satisfied with the foundations and eyeliner mostly because they easy to apply and don't smear that easily also. Quality of these products are ok as expected for price they charge. They do tend to last longer than no brand names on foundation and mascara. I am mostly satisfied with the value you get for your money. Wish they would come up with some specials though like two for one, buy one get one, etc.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

WOW THEY HAVE A LOT - EYE COVER UP, PENCILS, THINGS FOR THE LIPS, SHADOWS, A GREAT VARIETY OF EVERYTHING. I like the eye cover up the best. Omg. Beyond excellent... it covers well. I've been using Mac for over 5 years and I can't stress enough how well I love it... and covers so much in the eye cover up. I've got dark circles and it's excellent. Fantastic, wonderful, long lasting, superb, rich, classic, doesn't feel greasy at all. It feels like smooth and radiant on your skin. Well I'll tell you products out there are tons of money and for what you spend on MAC you are getting way more than your money's worth and beyond.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

They have eyeshadows in various shades. Their primer is one my favorite Mac products. They also have a variety of lipstick shades. I am happy with the results, especially Mac's primer product. You only need to put a very small amount of prime on each eyelid and make your eyeshadow last all day long. A pot lasts several months and the primer can also be used as eyeshadow. Quality is excellent. Mac eyeshadow and lipstick shades are well pigmented and long lasting. They last for several months and the value you get is worth the money you spend. Before using Mac primer product, by the end of the day applied eyeshadows would be all gone. Since I have started using Mac primer, I don't have to worry about this issue. My eyeshadow lasts until I clean my makeup!

MAC Cosmetics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Known for their bright colors and bold makeup statements, MAC cosmetics is a prestige makeup brand with a heavy emphasis on the artistry behind makeup. Their makeup is featured on stage at New York’s fashion week, and consumers can find MAC products at select high-end retailers.

• Make a statement: MAC’s bold colors allow men and women to make a statement with their makeup on the runway, on Halloween or in their everyday life. MAC honors individuality and uniqueness, and their makeup allows for dramatic application and creativity.

• Consultations: Consumers who aren’t sure where to start with MAC’s line of products can schedule a free 10-minute overview with a MAC consultant to learn about their products. Consumers can also schedule 30, 60 or 90-minute makeup applications with their local MAC representative.

• MAC makeup studio: MAC’s first ever makeup studio is now open in New York City. Schedule an appointment for a makeup application or  lesson customized just for you.

• MAC AIDS Fund: In 1994, RuPaul was the first face of MAC’s VIVA GLAM lipstick, a product that was created to raise money and awareness for the AIDS epidemic. Then and now, 100 percent of the purchase price of VIVA GLAM lipstick (minus VAT when applicable) goes toward the MAC AIDS Fund. The fund provides financial support to underserved populations and regions around the world, and to date has raised over $400 million solely from the sale of VIVA GLAM lipstick.

• Against animal testing: MAC products have never been tested on animals, and the company is actively working to eliminate animal testing in all cosmetic brands, ingredients and companies. They have recently partnered with the Institute for In Vitro Sciences (IIVS) in an effort to eradicate the practice of animal testing.

• Best for: MAC Cosmetics is best for men and women who want a bold makeup look. Also, consumers who want a prestige makeup product that does not test on animals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs