3.75/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

MAC Cosmetics

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 1, 2017

20 MAC Cosmetics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

Bought liquid lipstick from Nykaa... Divine. Very much dissatisfied with the product. Very thick and does not spread on the lips evenly and give appearance of paint rather than lipstick... Already using SO ME and very happy with it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I started out purchasing Mac as a permanent makeup solution for fashion, media, social outing, and professionalism. I went back the Carlsbad Mall and was approached by a saleswoman, demonstrating how to use the Mac makeup for under eyes. I did not agree with the saleswoman at the time and I said, "No thank you, I just need a eye liner, over from there." She guaranteed it will make my eye shine but I said, "My pupils are shiny enough." She responded, "Your eye's like around your eyebrows, but all around the eyes." I responded, "No thank you, I just need liner." She replied, "Like the one in your hand." I said, "I'm going to pay for it as soon as I make it to the counter." The saleswoman says, "My station, right here" and I replied "Before the checkout stand?" The saleswoman replied, "Yes." I replied, "I only need this eyeliner" and she says, "Is it liquid, is liquid eyeliner." I said, "No, just eyeliner, something I can put on."

The saleswoman jumped in my face and I went forward and landed near her work chair but was not sitting. The saleswoman say, "You're already over here, just allow me to put this, do your eyebrow, eyeliner." I said, "I don't think I would like it." I tried to make it to the checkout counter, and the saleswoman notice me trying to leave and said, "Just let put, what color do you prefer," and notice the black eyeliner in my hand. By then the lady at the checkout had left and returned and walk to me to say, "Just let her put on the makeup." I said "It is eyeliner. You're on your own."

The saleswoman asked the checkout lady, "Do you prefer liquid or the old eyeliner pencil?" The checkout lady say, "Liquid. I have it now." The saleswoman says, "That is what I am trying to explain, the pencil is old news, liquid is what is in." I said, "I rather keep the old pencil." The saleswoman says, "Why?" I said, "How long does it take to dry?" She says, "You can't answer a question with a question. Just sit back and let me." She then attempted to grab her makeup gear and I sprinted the checkout stand and left the eyeliner and the mall.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Love Mac products, however their lipsticks don't last on your lips for a long time. The Liptensity line is supposed to last for hours but doesn't last for longer than 15 mins.

Original review: May 21, 2017

Mac has changed its formula in their lip gloss by adding coconut oil. I have noticed since wearing the Lush Glass my lips burn and peel which cause me to have to now moisturizer my lips before gloss or completely stop using gloss because of the change in the formula. Also MAC has discounted the Dazzleglass (per MAC Associates) which looks great on us girls with naturally plump lips.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I got a cosmetic kit from MAC in January 2017. When I got the kit I realized that both lipsticks included are dried out and low quality. I sent them back (paid ~$15 for shipping) and asked for refund or replacement, as they said they would do if the customer was unhappy and sent back the product, but nothing has happened after more than 3 months of sending them back their product. Not even an email of explanation! I am so unhappy! Don't buy from them! I need to add that I also got some other products that I liked, but this one was more pronounced to me, so I would give 0 stars if I could!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MAC Cosmetics?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

From personal experience. Although it fits my skin tone better than most details are skipped on product longevity. The product is good and has a variety of products for all skin tone.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Very innovative company for women of all diversities. Great selection. Quality products. Fun and special themed collections. Not tested on animals in the US. I love their innovative products and colors. They are a bit pricey but they last a long time and they have unique collections. Negative - It concerns me that their products sold out of the US may be tested on animals as I emailed them about this.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I love the variety of colors in the MAC line. I especially love the lipstick because the color you see in the tube is the color that goes on my lips! It doesn't change!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

It last longer on my face and a Latin it's hard to find makeup that define your skin and with Mac I found it. I love the products but I hate customer service. The lack of Hispanic employee to understand our need and skin make it hard to shop in the store.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2016

Foundation is smooth and gentle. Good shades to choose from, lip gloss great colors. Blush very smooth and stays for a long time. Eye pencil goes on smooth. It stays for quite a time, doesn't go smudgy. If it waterproof it stays for a long time. It is easy to clean with clear water. I like the way it stays all day long. I've got no idea what components they use but I do know that they test on animals and I do not appreciate that. I would like for them to go more natural and green. It is not the only brand I use but I like to use it. It is cheap but good for the product quality. I would definitely recommend the brand for all kind of people.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2016

It is a brand that contains much variety and so recommend. You find a lot of professional and personal use from brushes, blushes, powders, fasteners, foundation, lipstick contain a variety of colors. I am very satisfied with everything they sell as this check for professional results and each product will fulfill its promises and fulfill my high expectations. Its quality is the best because as said it's for professional use therefore containing good products, and its price is worth it for the good product you are selling me. I feel the price is a little expensive but clear with how good is the product. I'm willing to pay a little more to receive such quality.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2016

My favorite thing about MAC products would be their lipstick. I love the fact that it comes in a multitude of colors, as well as matte and gloss finishes. MAC products are always one of my favorites to use. Between the variety of products and colors I always feel happier and prettier wearing them. The quality of MAC products is amazing. It leaves my skin feeling natural rather then looking greasy or like I caked on a bunch of product. Between the variety of MAC products and the natural look on my skin makes purchasing MAC well worth the value. One of my favorite brands to use.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Bronzer, eyeliner, lipstick, eyeshadow, sometimes the brushes that are included, foundation matte, foundation is also good to use. Does not crease like other ones. It works well. Best I have used. Worth the price for sure if you're willing to spend the cash cause this isn't cheap but I used to use real and covergirl but does not compare to this Mac brand at all. Very long lasting makeup and is easy to take off. Doesn't penetrate in the skin, not too heavy like the other ones I have used. The lipstick stays thru anything and I mean anything. I'd recommend to anyone who's had problems with their previous makeup and will see great results. The price is worth it for the quality of the makeup.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Mac has a variety of products that one can never imagine. Lovely range of products. I am extremely happy with the product. I will definitely recommend it to others. The quality of the products are A1. Very good product for all types of skin. The product brought a great value to my life. The best product I have ever used. I am indeed very satisfied.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

They offer everything. Eye products, face, lips, even nails. Plus they have amazing skin care. They offer tons of different finishes on products. Matte, shimmer, etc. They come out with different collections and limited edition products. They have beautiful highlighters. The quality is amazing and it is a great price point. I love the way their products work. I use their fix plus spray every single morning before applying my foundation. Plus it is perfect for using to spray on an eye brush and make eye shadows more vibrant. I never have a problem with eye liners or mascara smearing. Which is a huge plus because most other brands smudge like crazy. Everything I use lasts all day and stays looking just as it was when I first applied. The quality of all of their products are top of the line. The pigmentation in the eye shadows, blushes, lipsticks, lip liners, etc. are amazing. Never blotchy or patchy. They stay put for hours.

Lots of companies come out with limited edition products but it seems like the quality is less than the regular line but Mac's limited edition items are the exact formula as the rest of the line. I do believe some items are priced a little high for the amount of product that comes in certain pans but the value of the products are so good that I never mind. A lot of their skin primers, sprays, and moisturizers have completely changed appearance of the way my skin looks after applying foundation. It never looks heavy or dry.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Well they all the usual eyeliners, lipsticks, foundations so I wish they would come up with a different variety or something new like deep blue eyeliner or lipstick. Something different to explore. I am satisfied with the foundations and eyeliner mostly because they easy to apply and don't smear that easily also. Quality of these products are ok as expected for price they charge. They do tend to last longer than no brand names on foundation and mascara. I am mostly satisfied with the value you get for your money. Wish they would come up with some specials though like two for one, buy one get one, etc.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

WOW THEY HAVE A LOT - EYE COVER UP, PENCILS, THINGS FOR THE LIPS, SHADOWS, A GREAT VARIETY OF EVERYTHING. I like the eye cover up the best. Omg. Beyond excellent... it covers well. I've been using Mac for over 5 years and I can't stress enough how well I love it... and covers so much in the eye cover up. I've got dark circles and it's excellent. Fantastic, wonderful, long lasting, superb, rich, classic, doesn't feel greasy at all. It feels like smooth and radiant on your skin. Well I'll tell you products out there are tons of money and for what you spend on MAC you are getting way more than your money's worth and beyond.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

They have eyeshadows in various shades. Their primer is one my favorite Mac products. They also have a variety of lipstick shades. I am happy with the results, especially Mac's primer product. You only need to put a very small amount of prime on each eyelid and make your eyeshadow last all day long. A pot lasts several months and the primer can also be used as eyeshadow. Quality is excellent. Mac eyeshadow and lipstick shades are well pigmented and long lasting. They last for several months and the value you get is worth the money you spend. Before using Mac primer product, by the end of the day applied eyeshadows would be all gone. Since I have started using Mac primer, I don't have to worry about this issue. My eyeshadow lasts until I clean my makeup!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

Foundation and lipstick are readily available. I love the mascara because it did not smear. Pressed powder stays on all day. Eyeshadow colors are beautiful. I do not use eyeliner but again it looks great. The girl did a full makeup session with me. My daughter said I looked very pretty. The foundation matched my skin tone. The pressed powder helped my foundation stay. The eyeshadows were amazing. The lipstick stayed on all day. The ingredients were very natural. The products had purer ingredients than the drug store variety. My skin is sensitive and I didn't get itchy. The price being higher was worth it. The makeup is a good value. It lasts a long time. It is how amazing the cost was of the makeup was. I've heard other brands that are expensive and just don't last.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

Mac offers a wide range of colors for different skin types and tones. The selection surpasses their competitors. The lipsticks and eye shadows have an outstanding formulation and color selection. The cosmetics are long lasting and will last throughout the day. They are also a great value. The eyeshadow paints make a great eyeshadow primer and help the eyeshadow colors pop and last longer. The lipsticks are true to color and pigmented.

The quality ranks with higher end products. Performance is outstanding. The ingredients are non-irritating and quality. Mac does not use substandard ingredients. High quality ingredients equal a high standard performance. Mac delivers. It is nice to get a high-quality product for reasonable price. Mac makes shopping easy. Great products. I know I can count on Mac where others have failed. A wide selection of products makes easy shopping.

MAC Cosmetics expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Known for their bright colors and bold makeup statements, MAC cosmetics is a prestige makeup brand with a heavy emphasis on the artistry behind makeup. Their makeup is featured on stage at New York’s fashion week, and consumers can find MAC products at select high-end retailers.

• Make a statement: MAC’s bold colors allow men and women to make a statement with their makeup on the runway, on Halloween or in their everyday life. MAC honors individuality and uniqueness, and their makeup allows for dramatic application and creativity.
    • Consultations: Consumers who aren’t sure where to start with MAC’s line of products can schedule a free 10-minute overview with a MAC consultant to learn about their products. Consumers can also schedule 30, 60 or 90-minute makeup applications with their local MAC representative.
    • MAC makeup studio: MAC’s first ever makeup studio is now open in New York City. Schedule an appointment for a makeup application or  lesson customized just for you.
    • MAC AIDS Fund: In 1994, RuPaul was the first face of MAC’s VIVA GLAM lipstick, a product that was created to raise money and awareness for the AIDS epidemic. Then and now, 100 percent of the purchase price of VIVA GLAM lipstick (minus VAT when applicable) goes toward the MAC AIDS Fund. The fund provides financial support to underserved populations and regions around the world, and to date has raised over $400 million solely from the sale of VIVA GLAM lipstick.
    • Against animal testing: MAC products have never been tested on animals, and the company is actively working to eliminate animal testing in all cosmetic brands, ingredients and companies. They have recently partnered with the Institute for In Vitro Sciences (IIVS) in an effort to eradicate the practice of animal testing.
    • Best for: MAC Cosmetics is best for men and women who want a bold makeup look. Also, consumers who want a prestige makeup product that does not test on animals.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs