Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.08/5

Just For Men Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

I had been a user since it was introduced in the early 90s. When they came out with the Beard and Mustache formula, I also began using it on my mustache and goatee. However, in 2008, I began to get leaking sore on my bottom lip and blisters several days after using it. I inquired about a change in formula and they denied it 100%. There is no doubt in my mind that they did and it is what is causing these blisters and sores. When I discontinue, they go away. I had to shave all my facial hair off and keep it off. I did continue to use it on my head with the only problem being a slight itching. I recently wanted to grow the mustache again so I put some on my new mustache growth and lo and behold, 2 days later, blisters on my bottom lip.

Here's something I found on Wikipedia: One of the active ingredients is PPD, p-Phenylenediamine, which was voted Allergen of the Year in 2006 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society. Some users switch to henna-based products, such as Wolfshead Beardye as a result. I'm going to file a complaint with the FDA and also refrain from using this product. Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative?

Original review: July 29, 2014

I used Just For Men beard for over 5 years and now here in 2014, in the month of April, I use the Just For Men beard color and broke out. Try a few more time and every time it got worst. So bad that I had to go to the hospital to get help. Face broke out so bad it start running and my face had swollen up.

Original review: July 24, 2014

I have used JFM for over 3 years and just like most of the comments within the last month I have noticed a significant change to the product, my face, and beard. My face now itches like crazy and I have had problems sleeping at night. I have developed scaly patches that seem to be permanent. I have red bumps that oozes pus daily. This has been a living hell for me; limiting me to going out as I often like to. I highly recommend everyone to immediate cease using this product and if there is a class action suit, someone please post the needed information.

Original review: July 24, 2014

My boyfriend used this on his goatee and had it on for 4 min, showered and rinsed it off. Had a little bit of burning afterward, then that night he woke up with his face swollen and pus coming out and burning. The next morning, it was worse with the swelling, fluid/pus dripping from his cheeks and his chin and painful burning. He decided to go to the doc later that am. They gave some antibiotic cream and said to take some Ibuprofen. He came home, still painful burning and swelling and had to keep a towel under his chin to catch the liquid dripping out of his chin - it was so bad. He of course missed work today and will stay home again tomorrow. It's been a painful, horrific experience the last 48 hours and he's still miserable.

Original review: July 20, 2014

Devastating results and a truly dangerous product that should be banned. I used this product three times - the last time I developed severe scalp irritation and weeping/bleeding scalp sores that persisted for well over one month. During this period my life was agony. The worst was to follow hair loss. Now some four months after my last Just for Men application my hair seems to be returning to normal i.e. not falling out by the handful!

I have since switched to regular hair dyes (marketed for women) with excellent color results and without the suffering or apparent risk of baldness. If you still feel you want to give this product a chance take the allergy test very seriously and do it for every application. In my case the allergy test was negative so consider testing the product on your scalp behind the ear as recommended with other hair care products.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Just For Men?

Original review: July 17, 2014

I used Just for Men beard and mustache. Gave me allergy, my beard and mustache itching and bleeding.

Original review: July 16, 2014

Used this product in the past, and it has worked great. About five days ago, I applied the product to my facial hair, let set for five minutes, and then immediately took a shower to wash out as instructed. I noticed slight itchiness immediately, and the next day it got worse. Everyday the skin irritation worsened. After using antihistamines and cortisone cream for several days, I saw my doctor. He prescribed prednisone due to the extreme rash and the way it is spreading on my face. I am on the 1st day of prednisone, hoping this will cure my rash. This product should be banned!

Original review: July 15, 2014

I have been using Just for Men for 12 years now and never had a problem until 2014. I get these painful and pus-leaking sores on my mustache area that will not go away. The dermatologist gave me a steroid foam but it burns so bad and just made it get blood-red and feels worse now. Any recommendations on what to do? How long does it take to get rid of these things. Has anyone found an alternative to JFM? I don't get this reaction on my hair, just the beard. Thanks to anyone that has info.

Original review: July 11, 2014

I was a loyal customer that used the product twice a week for over 10 years. However this past April/May I started breaking out in severe itchy rashes. The cracking of my upper lip is so painful with every opening of my mouth to talk, laugh or eat. I have applied cortisone cream neosporin, Benadryl and even an over the counter eczema cream. No relief. The scarring is very obvious and peeling constantly. I have gone grey and red and scaly. It is very itchy and painful. The itchy and peeling has gotten so bad that friends and family noticed I was always scratching my goatee, my chin and my upper lips. I have tried carman, blister and Vaseline for my lips. I am happy to see my experience is not alone.

Original review: July 9, 2014

I have been using JFM for many years on my beard without problems. The new formula came along and now the last couple of times of using it I break out in sores. Itches like mad and puss coming out of the sores. At first I wasn't sure what was causing it. The new formula should be taken off the shelves. I have emailed JFM and am waiting on a reply which I suspect will just say to stop using the product. Something should be done about this.

Original review: July 4, 2014

Horrible experience with this product - use it for years. Now there's blisters on my lips and face. Please someone come out with a safe hair product for men to color their gray hairs.

Original review: July 4, 2014

I have been useing Just For Men for over a year and never had a problem until now. Last week my face started getting light around my goatee. Then it started burning. Now I have blisters. I am suppose to go to a big cookout on the 4th of July which is tomorrow and meet with people I haven't seen in over 30 years. I can't show up with the area around my mouth looking like this. I need to contact someone because this doesn't make any sense. And I see that it's not only me and it seems that this product got bad starting this year. If someone would please let me know how to fix this, can you pass it along. I have a picture up but the cream on my face may have covered up the blisters and I don't wanna remove the cream. Now my face is leaking.

Original review: July 2, 2014

I've used this product with great results for over 10 years. However with the last few applications I experienced itching, redness, blistering (with clear liquid coming from the blisters), burning, and extreme dry skin after a few days. I'm afraid I might have some scarring to deal with also. I'm so upset with this product right now, I will never use it again. I just googled this and it really surprises me to see all of these similar customer complaints. Something has definitely changed with the formulation of this product and it disturbs me to think someone else will go through what I am going through. Recall JFM now before someone gets seriously hurt!

Original review: July 2, 2014

I used Just for Men and got a bad burning rash on hmm face, a rash on both arms, chest and my legs. I eventually got puss filled pockets on my head and left jaw. I had to post go on several rounds of antibiotics and steroids. I have some permanent scarring.

Original review: June 30, 2014

Started using this in November 2013 with little problem. Skin test were fine. May 2014, got a horrible weeping sore on my upper lip. Dr. thought impetigo because there were other sores, then thought cold sores on second visit, and went through that prescription. Had it cultured, no hsv1 (thank god). Turns out to be the reaction everyone is talking about here. Different formula or build up reaction? Don't know, but it really sucks, and isn't going away. Quit the product. Guess I'm growing grey gracefully. This product is bad news.

Original review: June 27, 2014

I have been using this product for six months and no problem. But last month I developed itchy followed by oozing blisters. It was getting worst everyday. I never suspected allergy from the 'JUST FOR MEN' hair dye. I went to the dermatologist who thought as 'acne'. After a week of anti viral, nothing good happens. Again I go the doctor, he says maybe it is folliculitis and gives me prescription for antibiotic and anti viral. After two weeks medication it subsided. Yesterday I applied hair dye. Boom! Within five minutes I started getting the same reaction on my skin. Now I know this is the culprit. I wonder how this product, which is unfriendly with the skin can be in the market. Please do something.

Original review: June 25, 2014

Purchased on 6/22/2014 and had used product in the past without a problem. Used as directed and developed shortly after swelling, redness, blisters with yellow discharge and scabbing. I'm in so much pain. This product is dangerous. The damage may leave scarring on my face for the rest of my life.

Original review: June 22, 2014

I bought this product, followed the instructions to the letter, and the next couple of days I was miserable. Every place on my face that came in contact with this solution became red and swollen. The next day, my face was oozing clear liquids that would dry up and form uncomfortable scabs and felt like sandpaper and it made my skin tough to move for even the most common facial expressions: smiling, eating, etc. This stuff needs to be taken off the shelves before it hurts someone else. I can't go out in public and prefer to stay inside so I don't have to let anyone see the condition this concoction has left my face in. I will deal with my gray beard hair and I won't go near this product ever again.

Original review: June 22, 2014

I have used JFM for over 7 years without a single problem and with good results. Purchased several boxes of the "New look" JFM and it's changed. My scalp, ears, and neck suffered burning and severe itching. Never had this problem with the previous "old" JFM. Took the whole lot back and got my money back. Won't ever use this stuff again.

Original review: June 21, 2014

I had been using Just For Men for a couple months without any issues. Now my face is swollen, clear oil sticky substance leaking from my face, itching. I don't know what happened but this is something that clearly needs to be taken off the shelf, ASAP!!

Original review: June 21, 2014

I started using JFM about a year ago at the request of my wife. Around October I developed neck pain/discomfort and headaches. Lived with it for a couple of months until decided to see a doctor. MRI and X-rays of my head were OK and showed natural signs of aging but nothing else. Sent to a pain doctor who injected the back of my head a couple of times and diagnosed the problem as tension headaches.

I am 54 and a business owner for 17 years. I understand what stress does but I had never reacted to stress like this, ever. Anyway, my wife applied JFM on my hair again a couple of days ago and a bit spreads over below the left side burn. The very next day I developed contact dermatitis and a bleeding sore below the side burn. Scare to death thinking this is skin cancer I go into a Google search like most people and find these very helpful forum. Now I wonder if everything is connected. Only one way to find out, will stop using immediately.

Original review: June 19, 2014

I thought it was me... but after reading all the complaints I know this not to be the case... it's the product. My face itched, the skin flaked off and I now have a permanent dis-coloring outlining my mustache. I do not believe it is safe for human usage and should be pulled from the shelves!!

Original review: June 19, 2014

Just purchased my second box of JFM beard and mustache. Identical symptoms as described by others... Itching, weeping lesions. I have attempted to remove product, and have applied Benadryl and an antibiotic. I have taken pictures to document. Either their formula has changed, or there are 363 people whose body chemistry suddenly changed (I'm sure countless others are unreported). This product is dangerous and should be removed.

Tomorrow, I will begin taking steps to help pass the warning, as I suggest we all do. I will contact the company and begin researching steps to provide better consumer protection. Please, take a moment to share your experience with this site, and the sites that sell it. JFM must acknowledge and deal with this dangerous product change/alteration.

Original review: June 14, 2014

I used this product for years on my mustache and goatee, no probs. Used it 12/062014 and my face is on fire. I've now got blisters, pus oozing down my lips and chin, and scabs. My lips are so sore. It's driving me crazy. I can't leave the house. I'm so angry at JFM. What have you done to the product?? I'm in agony. I've tried burn fell packs, sudacrem, it's not helping at all. I haven't had much sleep since. I'm so itchy. Someone please help.

Original review: June 11, 2014

My boyfriend had been using this product for years with no problem until a few months ago. Recently he has been complaining of his face itching, sores with stuff oozing and swelling with headaches. He didn't know what was happening or why until yesterday he saw on TV about what was happening to a lot of men using this product. After reading all the reviews we are convinced it's JFM. I am never purchasing this product again. Right now his face is swollen.

Original review: June 6, 2014

Used JFM Beard Dye for a few years with no problems. Used the product recently and noticed burning and subsequent blistering of the skin. Took a couple of weeks to clear up. There must be something different in this product now, as I've used with no adverse effects in the past.

Original review: June 4, 2014

I too have been a victim of this nasty product. I have used the dark brown beard dye for years and it worked fine. Recently I broke out with the intense itching, red sores that ooze liquid, and white scaly patches. This has happened several times to me. I even bought another box because I thought it was a bad batch. This time is even worse. I have been home bound for a week now because I look so bad. I emailed the company and gave them all the information on the boxes and their only response was to stop using it. Something clearly needs to be done about a class action suit. It takes forever for these sores to go away. Hopefully it won't leave permanent scars.

Original review: May 27, 2014

I started using Just For Men beard dye to cover my gray hair and noticed sores and blisters. I did not know the exact cause of them until the correlation became evident as I again used the product and the sores and blisters returned. Last night I applied the dye to the upper cheek for the first time, a few inches below my eyes. I woke during the night scratching as it woke me up with the itching sores. The sores and blisters are extensive and bleeding which is embarrassing to be at work leading group therapy but I have no leave for the first year of employment with this hospital.

If I don't go to work, I don't get paid and I have a child to support in college. I will never use JFM product again. I wonder what this has done to my internal organs if my external ones are bleeding and inflamed. This product should be removed from the stream of commerce and victims should be compensated.

Original review: May 26, 2014

Wow, It must be a change in their formula. I have used JFM for the last 3-4 years just fine, but the last box I bought a few weeks ago is giving me terrible rashes and itches. Not as bad as many of the comments I have seen, but enough for me to prefer grey as my new brown! It seems international as I live in Australia!

Original review: May 24, 2014

I first tried this product about 6 months ago when I tried growing a goatee for the first time. I kept getting scabbed up pus blisters on my chin. At first I didn't associate it with JFM. I just assumed that because I've never grown a goatee before it was a reaction to growing hair on my chin after close to 30 years of shaving. I finally gave up on the goatee, and decided to use the remaining product on the sides of my head that starts to grey. Well SAME reaction as my chin, so now I KNOW the product is responsible for the bumps, blisters, pus and scabs. Along with that, I accidentally got some of the product on the top of my ear, and that spot too got the blister/scab, etc. I'd love to know of any lawsuits. I would be happy to join. But more importantly.... Is there a SAFE product to use?

Just For Men Company Information