1.72/5
Based on 130 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

183 Covergirl Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I have been using Katy Kat Eye Mascara for a while and had no problems with it. I started using a different kind for a while and then went back to Katy Kat Eye. I ended up with a bad eye infection. I thought it was pink eye but it's not. My eye is very painful and swollen. It's very red and teary. Also it feels like something is in it and it doesn't want to stay open. I will never use this mascara again or any other Covergirl product.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Covergirl Trublend Matte Made Transfer Resistant Foundation - I’ve seen all these commercials about how it’s transfer resistant and it’s not... I tested it for myself and it got all over my shirt sleeve... I have acne and it does not cover at all. It is my shade and it’s just too pigmented orange. When I buy a product I am expecting it to fulfill what they are saying it will do. I’m sorry. I don’t really want to pay $12 for something that really isn’t what they say it is. I’m pretty disappointed.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I'll start by saying that I don't wear makeup daily, but for the last 6-9 months or so, every time I use either of the Cover Girl Lash Exact & Flourish Mascara and Perfect Point Plus Eye Liner, I've been having extremely itchy, watery, bloodshot eyes. Two weeks ago, I wore the mascara and eyeliner for the first time as I had been off work due to the government shutdown, so didn't have a need to wear makeup. The next day, I wake up with my eyes crusted over with yellow "goop", for lack of a better term. I assumed it was pink eye and went to the doctor and was given antibiotic eye drops.

I tossed all my products, which I by the way just opened for this use and completed the eye treatment as prescribed for 7 days. Just to be sure it was clear, I waited another week and had bought all new eye makeup (I only wear mascara and eyeliner). I tried it again yesterday and I'm right back at square one with the yellow "goop" in the eyes to the point where I can hardly open my eyes. Not sure what Cover Girl has done, but something in the formulas have changed and I can no longer use your products, which is sad because I truly like your products - even more so now that you've recently gone cruelty free.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I purchased an eyeliner product. It was faulty. After speaking to Covergirl and Coty, they agreed to send me a $20 gift certificate for reimbursement. They mailed it to me during a postal strike, I received the letter just days after the expiry on the gift certificate, also the letter had no date so I don't actually know when it was sent. I called both companies and both basically told me "too bad, they don't send out replacements". Unbelievable that they would not just issue a new one, they punished me for something out of my control. I am still out the money for the faulty eyeliner.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I loved the Covergirl Ink It eyeliner for the way it would glide on smoothly and its staying power and have bought it several times in the past 2-3 years. However, they may have recently changed their formula because now when I apply it, within 10-30 minutes my eyes are watering and irritated. It took me a couple of weeks to realize it was the eyeliner causing the problem. I have never experienced makeup allergies, and I'm in my 40s, so this was a huge shock. I will need to find a different brand to try. Right now, it's just a huge relief to have uncovered the cause of my severe eye pain/watering/redness.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Covergirl?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Holy. Cow. I bought the buff beige foundation for about $8 at Dollar General, the pump kind. I bought it because I had left my good foundation at home and needed something quick. I usually use Milk Blurr Foundation which I highly recommend for everyone and anyone especially someone with sensitive skin. Anyway, wow. I have the worst rash all over my face and neck because of this useless foundation that wasn’t even the correct shade and made me look idiotic for nothing. I have blisters. I’m so itchy. If there wasn’t five feet of snow where I live I swear I’d have poison ivy.

This is extremely uncomfortable and slightly embarrassing. I’m sick of people asking me what’s wrong with my face and neck. Anyway, before I started using a more high-end foundation I used Covergirl often. I never had this issue. I’ve seen many complaints about them changing their formulas. Why would you do that, Covergirl? You got so many of us out here looking a fool and actually physically suffering. Do you test on animals? This terrifies me. Can’t imagine what they go through. I’m done with Covergirl completely. Truly disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

You recently changed the formula in the Ink It eyeliner. I loved the old one, I had finally found an eyeliner that went on easily, stayed put and was reasonably priced. The last time I bought it, the packaging is different, there’s a message that it is a New improved formula (not exact words?) on packaging. It now makes my eyes burn and I will have to switch to another brand. What did you add to it??? I see many posts and reviews about this. Please switch back to the last formula!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Generally I've had great experiences with CoverGirl and Maybelline cosmetics, with the exception of a few lip glosses and mascaras. There are a few of both that haven't lived up to color quality or product quality such as a mascara drying out too soon, or a lip gloss or pencil that does not match its shade.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I like the product. I like the eyeshadow, the lipstick and the makeup. It makes my face feel nice and the eyeshadow has good colours and there’s different shades of lipstick.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

I've been using Covergirl for many year. I don't use a lot of makeup and even though there are newer things on the market this one suits me fine so I just keep buying it. I'm an older lady and I have some discoloration on my face and the Covergirl compact seems to cover that very well. The cost is minimal compared to other brands. I feel that at my age I am not a beauty queen and why should I spend more.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I have been using Covergirl makeup for many years. The color blends that they offer are good for me. I can't seem to find those color blends in other brands. The makeup is priced right for me. I also use their face powder.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Katy Kat mascara clumps and does not go on smoothly. Her lipstick has decent colors and goes on ok and stays on, the reddish colors. Mascara needs improvement but the blue color of it is good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have been using CoverGirl eyeshadow and pencils for more years than I can remember. Someone in the company thought it was a good idea to change the sleek oval shape to an awkward rectangle. Then they changed the glue on the eyeshadow stick so that the foam end keeps coming off... even after using it for just a few times. I have to use Elmer's glue to put it back on. This happens with EVERY eyeshadow, not just one, so they are now using a cheaper type of glue that does not work.

Also the eyeshadow itself is now hard and difficult to get enough on the foam end to put on my eyelids. I have to apply several times to get my eyelids covered like I want and it never used to be like this. They have changed the glue and the eyeshadow itself and I will be looking for a new brand. The eyeliner pencils break constantly. I don't think they test their products before they put them on the shelves and they are taking whatever shortcuts they can to save money. They have lost a long-standing customer. I have had enough of their junk.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I've been a long time user of Covergirl mascara (over 20 years), but recently they changed their product. I bought the new "Total Tease" and used it a couple of times before I got an eye infection. Cleared up with meds, but I threw out all my eye makeup and started fresh. This time I bought Full Lash Bloom. Within days I had an eye infection again and required more medicine. I stopped using mascara for over a month and just bought Revlon - no issues so far after several weeks use. My doctor told me it was a bacterial infection from the mascara. I won't be buying Covergirl again.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I have used Cover Girl Cheekers blush and the single eyeshadow for decades without issue. The last time I purchased these items (just a few weeks ago) I noticed they were more crumbly than usual. Usually these products last me at least 2 or 3 months or more. I am just about out of both due to the rapid crumbling away. New formula, undoubtedly...I am super disappointed and probably will look for a replacement product with another brand. It won't be easy to replace what I have used and loved for decades. I don't know why you have to ruin a perfectly good product and lose faithful customers.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Purchased new makeup due to an eye infection that I had. Bought all new Covergirl products, Peacock Flare Mascara and Covergirl foundation with SPF because I’m very fair. Well, after using the product, I woke up with swollen, itchy eyes. Fortunately, not as terrible as other people’s pictures I have seen in this review post. However, bad enough to scare small children. I am definitely not purchasing any more Covergirl makeup... kinda over this itchy redness.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I used the Katy Kat eye mascara and right now I’m seeing a specialist to check my eye, missed work two days, bought all sort of medication and now my eyes are sensitive to lights... What kind of mascara is this for goodness sake, I have never had any kind of eye problem and now the doctor is suggesting I use medicated glasses, went to Shoppers drug mart where I bought the mascara to tell them what had happened and the manager asked if I wanted a refund, she didn’t show empathy towards me. Nothing, I am a call center agent and now I can’t even work without wearing sunglasses, I’m supposed to be at work today and I’m stuck at the doctor's office, my head is aching, me eyes are hurting, I’m literally crying right now... someone pls help me, this is really bad...

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

I have watched the current ad with the older woman who laments that some women reach a point where they ‘give up’ and she’s wondering (looking at herself in a mirror) when that time is? I am not sure what the approach and desire of this ad is. When I watch this ad, looking like her at any age is not what I aspire to do. In fact, I am 70 this year and THIS is what 70 should look like. No offense to her but this ad just doesn’t make me want to be Covergirl anything.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I have been buying Covergirl eyebrow pencils for as long as I can remember. They recently switched their packaging but I was able to find my colour. Was thoroughly annoyed when the pencil kept breaking, thought defective set. Bought another package and same thing happening. I am getting half the product as it keeps breaking on me. I am reading lots of other issues with eye infections for mascara and eyeliners and will no longer be buying anything Covergirl again. You guys messed up bad with this recent quality dive.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Purchased these pencils at a Walmart in my area. As of lately the pencil tips break off the pencils when you sharpen them so you're really only getting half of the product you're paying for. More importantly, I have started to break out in my eyebrow area! I have never broke out on this part of my face! Also, I'm 61 years old. This has to be a reaction to the eyebrow pencils. I will never use them again. Must be some type of chemical in them now. Terrible, terrible quality. What is going on here???

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

A few times I used Covergirl eye pencil it made my eyes watery and when I woke up my eyes had so much of goo that it was hardened and my eye was shut closed. It also gave me conjunctivitis, threw it away now and going to get some eye drops.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Process of elimination with make-up and thankfully I wear very little. I am thankful to find the complaints here about Covergirl mascara since they confirmed the results I experienced using Star Wars brand mascara by Covergirl. Painful eyes, watering, tissue tears, unable to focus and more! Sounds like a recall is in order so who is holding this company to the fires in getting these products all mentioned in the reviews off the market and not returning a product to market until they fix the ingredient formulas that seem to be suddenly causing physical harm. This mascara is in the garbage...

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I bought the purple Ink It eyeliner because I’d been using CoverGirl products for years with no problem. It was a trusted brand. Each time I wore the eyeliner the next day my eyes would be bloodshot. At first I thought it was coincidence, but it kept happening. The last time I wore it the very next day I woke up with BOTH eyes swollen and like they had pink eye. I went to doc who said bacterial infection and gave me eye drops. I ditched all make up for well over a month, pitched the Ink It eyeliner, and will try another brand.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I will start by saying that I have used CoverGirl mascara since I was around fourteen years old. I have never had an issue prior to 2017. In late July I got the Katy Kat mascara, and the next day I woke up with my right eye swollen shut, red, with a film of pus, and I was in a great amount of pain. I went to the eye doc, and he said it was a bacterial infection likely from me working with kids. I did not think it could have been my CoverGirl product, because all of the mascaras I have used in the past have been great. I stopped wearing makeup for 3 weeks, threw out all of my old makeup, and the infection cleared up. I was cleared to wear makeup again, and shelled out over $100 to replace all of my brushes, etc. The day after I wore the makeup, I then had infections in BOTH eyes. I received a stronger prescription, threw away all of that makeup, and started the process all over again. This was at the end of July, and it is now the end of September.

I feel ridiculous for not realizing that it was my mascara, but it was always a tried and true product for me. I've spent around $60 on replacing this product since July, only to find that it was this product that has made me sick. I am now on steroid eye drops because of how many times I've had an adverse allergic reaction to the CoverGirl products. I found out that it was the mascara because I tested my makeup one at a time over the span of a few days. The morning I applied my mascara was the same day that I started to feel that familiar eye pain and pressure by nightfall.

Whatever they have changed in their products has been a poor decision on their part, considering many are having reactions to this mascara, and they have lost a long term customer because of it. I will never be using CoverGirl again, and I've shown my friends my pictures (they were all worried and confused about it as well) and my friends and family are also changing brands because they are afraid that it will happen to them, too.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Covergirl is a decent brand for everyday life and products are generally well thought out. Easy to use and offers something for everybody but it is more geared toward people under 30.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I purchased Katy Kat mascara some time ago and after using it the first time, I noticed my eyes were itchy but couldn't figure out why at first. I figured that the reaction may be the mascara since that was the only thing that changed in my daily routine. I had ran out of mascara so I used the Katy Kat (forgetting about the issue I had before) and by the end of the day my eyes got super itchy and puffy. My eyes were swollen for 4 days, I missed work and previously scheduled plans. The only thing I could do to relieve the pain and discomfort was take ** and sleep. I contacted CoverGirl and they gave me a rather generic scripted response with a $9 voucher for the cost of the product. Although it isn't about the money per se, it's the way in which it was handled that is disturbing. This is an absolute horrible product and even worse customer service.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have used the CoverGirl brand for as long as I can remember but recently I purchased the "So Lashy Blast Pro Mascara" in Black and had a terrible allergic reaction twice. The first time I used it on July 9th, I went to a family party, came home and used makeup wipes to clean my face before bed. The next day, my eyes felt itchy and the next couple of days swelling and itching increased. I saw the doctor on July 13th. I told her about the new Mascara and new foundation (also CoverGirl) but that I had also been around some dogs at the party but we couldn't pinpoint what was causing the reaction. She said not to throw the makeup away and try again in a few weeks.

After a week, the intense itching and swelling subsided but I waited an additional week before using anything on my face just as a precaution. This past Monday, July 24th, I put a small amount of the Mascara on and within a few hours I could feel the itching again. I used just water and a washcloth to clean it off immediately instead of a makeup wipe in case the mascara and wipe were acting in conjunction with one another. Tuesday I woke up to red swollen eyes that continued to swell all day. This morning, July 26th, I woke to my eyes almost being swollen shut. The pain was awful and the itching made things worse. I started to use a topical steroid cream prescribed by my doctor 2 weeks before and it has helped tremendously.

I've never paid attention to the mascara I bought because like I said, I've always used CoverGirl and have never had an issue. I usually switch up the type of Mascara every time trying new brushes etc. Now that I'm looking up the product online, I see that it is not one of the Mascaras listed as hypoallergenic​ but I was unaware of my allergy until now. I'm disappointed that this was the one time I bought a more expensive CoverGirl Mascara and had such a miserable experience.

Original review: June 15, 2017

In April I bought Katy Kat Eye mascara and have since battled itchy, angry red circles around my eyes, oozing and painful reaction. And when the swelling goes down my eyes look scaly and still itch. I was not sure what was causing this reaction because I get the same reaction from exposure to latex. I quit using mascara for a week and over the past two days I have finally had normal eyes again. So, I used the mascara again yesterday and what do you know, today I woke up with the same itchy red area (it's not my eyeballs, it's the skin around my eyes). Then as luck would have it, a friend of mine posted on Facebook a photo of her eyes and the description of her reaction was exactly what I have been experiencing. We got to talking and guess what mascara she recently purchased??? Katy Kat Eye! They need to get this off the shelves!

Original review: June 10, 2017

Covergirl outast lipcolour (new formula) - My lips poofed up like I had a Botox injection. Both were red and sore peeled. I said I have been wearing this since it came on the market. I loved this lip colour and told all my friends about it. Something has changed in the formula of it. Now my lips are naked. I cannot find another one I like.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I have been a CoverGirl customer for 50 years and I absolutely hate the new compact for their blush. It is larger with square corners (which will eventually wear holes in my makeup case) and the mechanism for opening and closing absolutely sucks. You just lost a faithful customer CoverGirl. There are better containers out there!

Covergirl Company Information