1.71/5
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Covergirl

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 9, 2017

161 Covergirl Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I bought the purple Ink It eyeliner because I’d been using CoverGirl products for years with no problem. It was a trusted brand. Each time I wore the eyeliner the next day my eyes would be bloodshot. At first I thought it was coincidence, but it kept happening. The last time I wore it the very next day I woke up with BOTH eyes swollen and like they had pink eye. I went to doc who said bacterial infection and gave me eye drops. I ditched all make up for well over a month, pitched the Ink It eyeliner, and will try another brand.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2017

I will start by saying that I have used CoverGirl mascara since I was around fourteen years old. I have never had an issue prior to 2017. In late July I got the Katy Kat mascara, and the next day I woke up with my right eye swollen shut, red, with a film of pus, and I was in a great amount of pain. I went to the eye doc, and he said it was a bacterial infection likely from me working with kids. I did not think it could have been my CoverGirl product, because all of the mascaras I have used in the past have been great. I stopped wearing makeup for 3 weeks, threw out all of my old makeup, and the infection cleared up. I was cleared to wear makeup again, and shelled out over $100 to replace all of my brushes, etc. The day after I wore the makeup, I then had infections in BOTH eyes. I received a stronger prescription, threw away all of that makeup, and started the process all over again. This was at the end of July, and it is now the end of September.

I feel ridiculous for not realizing that it was my mascara, but it was always a tried and true product for me. I've spent around $60 on replacing this product since July, only to find that it was this product that has made me sick. I am now on steroid eye drops because of how many times I've had an adverse allergic reaction to the CoverGirl products. I found out that it was the mascara because I tested my makeup one at a time over the span of a few days. The morning I applied my mascara was the same day that I started to feel that familiar eye pain and pressure by nightfall.

Whatever they have changed in their products has been a poor decision on their part, considering many are having reactions to this mascara, and they have lost a long term customer because of it. I will never be using CoverGirl again, and I've shown my friends my pictures (they were all worried and confused about it as well) and my friends and family are also changing brands because they are afraid that it will happen to them, too.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

Covergirl is a decent brand for everyday life and products are generally well thought out. Easy to use and offers something for everybody but it is more geared toward people under 30.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I purchased Katy Kat mascara some time ago and after using it the first time, I noticed my eyes were itchy but couldn't figure out why at first. I figured that the reaction may be the mascara since that was the only thing that changed in my daily routine. I had ran out of mascara so I used the Katy Kat (forgetting about the issue I had before) and by the end of the day my eyes got super itchy and puffy. My eyes were swollen for 4 days, I missed work and previously scheduled plans. The only thing I could do to relieve the pain and discomfort was take ** and sleep. I contacted CoverGirl and they gave me a rather generic scripted response with a $9 voucher for the cost of the product. Although it isn't about the money per se, it's the way in which it was handled that is disturbing. This is an absolute horrible product and even worse customer service.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have used the CoverGirl brand for as long as I can remember but recently I purchased the "So Lashy Blast Pro Mascara" in Black and had a terrible allergic reaction twice. The first time I used it on July 9th, I went to a family party, came home and used makeup wipes to clean my face before bed. The next day, my eyes felt itchy and the next couple of days swelling and itching increased. I saw the doctor on July 13th. I told her about the new Mascara and new foundation (also CoverGirl) but that I had also been around some dogs at the party but we couldn't pinpoint what was causing the reaction. She said not to throw the makeup away and try again in a few weeks.

After a week, the intense itching and swelling subsided but I waited an additional week before using anything on my face just as a precaution. This past Monday, July 24th, I put a small amount of the Mascara on and within a few hours I could feel the itching again. I used just water and a washcloth to clean it off immediately instead of a makeup wipe in case the mascara and wipe were acting in conjunction with one another. Tuesday I woke up to red swollen eyes that continued to swell all day. This morning, July 26th, I woke to my eyes almost being swollen shut. The pain was awful and the itching made things worse. I started to use a topical steroid cream prescribed by my doctor 2 weeks before and it has helped tremendously.

I've never paid attention to the mascara I bought because like I said, I've always used CoverGirl and have never had an issue. I usually switch up the type of Mascara every time trying new brushes etc. Now that I'm looking up the product online, I see that it is not one of the Mascaras listed as hypoallergenic​ but I was unaware of my allergy until now. I'm disappointed that this was the one time I bought a more expensive CoverGirl Mascara and had such a miserable experience.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Covergirl?

Original review: June 15, 2017

In April I bought Katy Kat Eye mascara and have since battled itchy, angry red circles around my eyes, oozing and painful reaction. And when the swelling goes down my eyes look scaly and still itch. I was not sure what was causing this reaction because I get the same reaction from exposure to latex. I quit using mascara for a week and over the past two days I have finally had normal eyes again. So, I used the mascara again yesterday and what do you know, today I woke up with the same itchy red area (it's not my eyeballs, it's the skin around my eyes). Then as luck would have it, a friend of mine posted on Facebook a photo of her eyes and the description of her reaction was exactly what I have been experiencing. We got to talking and guess what mascara she recently purchased??? Katy Kat Eye! They need to get this off the shelves!

Original review: June 10, 2017

Covergirl outast lipcolour (new formula) - My lips poofed up like I had a Botox injection. Both were red and sore peeled. I said I have been wearing this since it came on the market. I loved this lip colour and told all my friends about it. Something has changed in the formula of it. Now my lips are naked. I cannot find another one I like.

Original review: May 14, 2017

I have been a CoverGirl customer for 50 years and I absolutely hate the new compact for their blush. It is larger with square corners (which will eventually wear holes in my makeup case) and the mechanism for opening and closing absolutely sucks. You just lost a faithful customer CoverGirl. There are better containers out there!

Original review: May 3, 2017

I bought Covergirl Perfect Point Plus eyeliner in Deep Burgundy around Christmas time. I used it brand new and suffered a reaction in both eyes. It was horrific. Puss, swollen, burning, eye pain, headache, and bloodshot (I mean demon possessed) eyes. I couldn't believe this was from one application of this eyeliner. Nevertheless, I didn't want to find out again so I set it aside.

On May 3, 2017, I was wearing a burgundy shirt and thought how nice that eyeliner would look with it. I was thinking, surely that eye infection couldn't have been the brand new eyeliner. Maybe, it was coincidence? I chopped off the top 1cm just in case and used it. Within hours, my eyes were burning, swelling, and itching so I washed it off. Too late! I am having the same reaction as last time. The pictures I have attached are from day two. One eye is clearing up faster than the other. There are what appears to be blistering as well. I have been wearing eye makeup for 28 years and have never had a reaction like this! I would like to know what this eyeliner is made of that could be so allergenic? This seems like a danger to the public, but what else can I do except write a review?

Original review: March 18, 2017

Poor quality for the Line Exact Eyeliner. When I first used it, it seemed to go on relatively smooth but 5 days later it acted like it was out of ink. I shook it so much I was afraid it would pop right out of its slot. It didn't but it didn't get any more ink to come out of it. I generally like Cover Girl as an inexpensive cosmetic & always use Cover Girl mascara (hate the constant changes & names) but this was my first time using their eyeliner. Started out good and pooped out way too soon.

Original review: March 17, 2017

I have used the same black eyeliner by Covergirl for 25 years. Even had to buy my mother her own since she loved taking mine. I buy it and a black mascara and a pressed powder in light beige every 3-4 months and keep it covered or closed. Always have. Now every time I put it on, my eyelids swell and my eyes become red and inflamed. My cheeks get itchy. This has happened more than once and even it is brand new! What happened? Did you change your formula w/o telling anyone? Same thing happened to 3 other people I know. That is 4 customers you have lost. Total fail CoverGirl. I really liked your cosmetics, too.

Original review: March 9, 2017

I am going to be 54 years old in 3 weeks. I have been using same CoverGirl products since I starting being allowed to wear makeup with I was 16. I bought the same mascara, shadow, and lip gloss I always have last week. I know, not very hip -- I just like to find products I like and stick with them as I hate shopping. As I type this my eyes are swollen almost completely shut and have very angry, red circles around both. The doctor said I looked like I had either just been beat up or had work done. My throat was swelling as well. MY BP is through the roof. I REALLY need to know if there was a change in anything and if so, I think CoverGirl was negligent in not placing that info on the product.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

I bought a faulty eyeliner at Wal-Mart, I opened it and it was all smashed up into the cap. I have always used your products and have never had any problems with any of my makeup. I contacted by phone 2 months ago, I was assured O was you mg to be send a voucher or something to replace the damaged one. I have been waiting patiently to no avail. Can someone pls explain to me why I can't get either a voucher or money back? I believe I have been more than patient. I am disabled and have limited monetary resources. What seems like change to you and your company is hard earn money to me. The name of the eyeliner is 230 black ink. I gave All the need information to whomever I spoke on the phone that day.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

Dear CoverGirl, cover boy, or cover Muslim whatever you are marketing yourself as now. You have lost a customer. I grew up and have used Maybelline most of my life. Silly me to take advantage of a Walgreens CoverGirl sale. NEVER AGAIN. Your products are all inferior. Concealer, lipstick, eye shadow, blush and mascara. Just awful applicators and brushes. Good luck with your new perv marketing base. We all see you are using inclusive issues to pawn off crappy makeup on to the idiot masses.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I recently purchased Ink It eyeliner by Covergirl, used it one time, half hour later my eyes are flaming red and oozing a gross gunky goo. Had to contact my doctor for eye drops to clear up the infection!! I am not impressed with this particular product.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

They have a variety of different shades in all areas, and I like the way I look and feel. CoverGirl is one of the best cosmetic companies with a good product that is affordable by almost everyone.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

It is the best product for my financial situation and not as high quality as the high dollar brands. The reasonable prices are what keep me coming back to them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

Their products do not irritate my skin. I have used other brands in the past and they don't hold up like CoverGirl. CoverGirl products don't clog your pores and it's not heavy like most products and it smells good.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

The foundation makeup I use is smooth and covers dark areas well. There is a wide choice of colours available. The consistency blends well into skin. I also use CoverGirl lipstick and have tried many other brands, but none lasts like theirs. The colours are lovely- though I always return for the same favourite. This makeup is my favourite. Colour and consistency are perfect for my skin. The price is very reasonable and always available at my Uniprix Pharmacy. I find that their lipstick never clumps or wears off quickly. I love the creamy consistently.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

I have been using this brand for years. Product works well for me. I do not use a lot of makeup and I want to spend a lot of money. Love the lipstick.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

Very disappointed in this concealer. Don't get me wrong, I love Covergirl products as they are affordable and totally worth the price. I have purchased another concealer by them but this time decided to change it up. The day I purchased and went to use it the concealer only gave an illusion it was filled and had barely any concealer inside the bottle.

Resolution response: July 14, 2016

This issue has been resolved.

Original review: July 6, 2016

I have had pink eye FOUR TIMES in 2 months! I recently had switched to CoverGirl LashBlast! First I thought I contracted it from the grocery store germs. Next... who knew? BUT after the 3rd time I thought it might be a reaction of some other thing... Yes! My pink eye had cleared up. I wasn't wearing ANY eye makeup. Then I opened yet another NEW package of CoverGirl LashBlast... woke up again with pink eye - pus in both eyes!!! I have spent over $400 on hospital visits, medications, and NEW makeup! Just to wake up this morning, AGAIN, with disgusting pus crusted over my bloody red eyes!! We need to stop them from infecting more people!! I have pictures of my nasty eyes!

Original review: May 19, 2016

Not only do I get great looks with CG's matte lipsticks, I also get softer and hydrated lips. CG's lipstick is a winner especially that at an affordable price, it matches the quality and stunning effects of the most expensive cosmetic brands--maybe because CG spent more on the content of the lipstick rather on the casing. With its long-lasting impact, always available shades and no chap lips after effect, CG will always be in my beauty kit for daily use.

Original review: May 1, 2016

I usually use the Queen foundation and it has been the best one out there by far compared to even the top brands. I have been using it for about 6 years. For the last year every time I try to find the makeup in the store it was no longer available. I found another location and after a while it was no longer available and I was told it was changed out for something else. No reason as to why. I continue to look for it but as I have been wearing my last 2 compacts of foundation I noticed that my face would get spotchy and acne and oily. I chose to stop putting it on for 2 weeks and clean my skin and I stopped having the problem. I went to wear it again and the same thing happened and the color looks to be orange on me with the new compact. Something is very different and I would like to know what please as I really did like the makeup.

Original review: April 29, 2016

I have used Covergirl products for nearly 30 years. A couple years ago, they tried a new compact case that broke within the first week. I chose to go to another company. As I noticed they had brought back the old case, I switched back to Covergirl. I purchased a compact yesterday, just to open it & find that they changed the mirror to a little tiny one inch thing you can't even see yourself in. I use my compact mirror to apply my makeup - this tiny mirror simply will not work. For all the money they make, this is a ridiculous way to cut corners. I'll be leaving Covergirl products, once again. Outrageous.

Original review: March 28, 2016

I tried Covergirl foundation in both liquid and compact. It is the worst product. The liquid streaks. I can't blend it even with a beauty blender. It also left me with breakouts which is funny cause I don't break out. The pressed powder does not cover, instead, made me look like I powdered cocaine all over my face. The mascara is nasty. It clumps and it caused my lashes to break. Very drying. The Covergirl line is worthless. No wonder it's cheap. I've started using Kat Von D and Benefit products. Honestly it's better to invest in better product that's gonna be safe and work and last. Their product is cruelty-free makes me feel good.

Original review: March 15, 2016

I too thought I'd give CoverGirl a try as I liked the new design of the brush. Within 2 days I had a massive eye irritation, went to the doctor and was told I had pink eye. Meds for 1 week, a day off work. Threw away all my eye makeup, replaced it with new CoverGirl mascara, same thing happened... Went back to Maybelline and no issues... That proved to be a very costly switch for me... Never again. It also flaked very badly.

Original review: March 5, 2016

I have experienced a SEVERE allergic reaction in my eyes. Eyes became extremely itchy, swollen and felt like sand had been thrown in them.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2016

I have always used Covergirl mascara and I recently bought the Star Wars Super Sizer mascara. My eyelashes started to fall out. I have very long eyelashes and now have only 1/2 of my eyelashes. I switched to a Maybelline brand and I didn't like how the mascara worked, but my eyelashes slowly started growing back. Five days ago, I switched back to LashBlast Volume Mascara, and lo and behold, more eyelashes fell out. Has Covergirl changed their formula? Has anyone else had this happen?

Original review: Jan. 1, 2016

I got two separate mascaras. One was LashBlast 24HR and one was Bombshell Volume, around 20 dollars. They are awful. Clumps and hurt my eyes. I don't think I will waste money on cover girl again. I have used Maybelline for 35 years and got these cause of a 2.00 dollars coupon. I did not save.

Covergirl Company Information