1.85/5
  • 1 star
Based on 111 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 6, 2017

155 Clinique Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have used Clinique Superbalanced Makeup teint now for almost a month and I loved it, recently my face start to burn every time I applied it. So I had to stopped using it, after all health comes before beauty.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I love Clinique and have used for more than 30 years. What I dislike most is their discontinuing products that I have used and really liked. The products which they provide as replacements are seldom better than or as good as the original. This happens far too often. The last time I went to purchase foundation, my preference was no longer available; I was told I would have to purchase a new product to use prior to applying make-up. The new foundation was one I used several years ago - "Even Better"and I don't like it! Also the shade of blush I used for years was discontinued several years ago as was a palette of eye shadow. If customers like and purchase products--that are obviously popular since they were often out of stock--why change!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Clinique works wonderfully, very silky products that are easy to apply and give me the best complexion I can hope for. My only worry is that animals are being tested in the manufacture of these products and my next cosmetic purchase will be Essence of Rock and Doll. I'm told this cosmetic product is cruelty-free because it doesn't do any testing on animals for its manufacture.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

This product is given out as a sample. The company claims the products are allergy tested, but I am not sure what allergens they evaluate. This product contains whey protein, a major allergen. Product burned my face. Clinique still claims there are no known allergens, but there are, if you ask for the ingredients.

Resolution response: May 21, 2017

Customer service is slow, but they did end up getting back to me, which I appreciate. I still wish they didn't discontinue the 01 shade of bb cream...

Original review: May 7, 2017

When I wrote Clinique I asked them if they have discontinued their BB Cream Shade 01. I had elaborated saying it was the perfect shade for my mother and myself. I told them that my mother had recently passed away and I'm wondering about this BB Cream. No one responded. A week later I wrote again letting them know I called the store and found out from the department store. I called that I found out it was discontinued. Sad. Really, the lack of acknowledging my emails, discontinued product and atrocious customer service. I will not be back. Ever. When you feel like I feel, Show the companies how you feel with your money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clinique?

Original review: April 26, 2017

Clinique products is all I ever use and although I'm very happy with the wide range of make-up, perfumes, and cleansers I use from Clinique. I am very disappointed in the level of customer service. I placed an online order for a few items although my delivery seems to be missing 1 item. I have emailed 9 times. I have phoned only to be on hold for 20 minutes to be disconnected before actually speaking to anyone. I've also tried online chat only to be told nothing she can do. Email or phone customer service. You would think for the size of this company and the price they charge they would actually care about customer service.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I have only just been introduced to Clinique eyebrow pencil which I liked. But I will not buy it again because of the ridiculously short length of actual pencil inside the plastic holder. It's a lot of money for such a small amount of product. Also with the fine pencil you can't wind it back. I wound it all out to see how much was left and of course I couldn't wind it back and it snapped off. A complete expensive waste.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have bought Clinique Stay-Matte sheer pressed powder oil free for 10 years and have no issues until the last few purchases. It seems like your product is old or you have changed something because it gets crusty after about 10 uses and falls apart. This is a hefty purchase to be throwing a 3rd of it away.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

A few years ago I made a purchase and because of your generous free offer I was introduced to the dramatically different moisturizer and moisture surge. I love how my face feels and looks. My Mom and sister keep asking me my secret, LOL. "Forever a Clinique Fan!!!"

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Good product. It provides awesome coverage, not heavy, doesn't break my skin out, conceals my dark spots, diminishes the appearance of my lines, makes me look ten yrs. younger.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

It good for people who has allergies. My favorite they no longer carry. Found another one that is good but our skin doctor says it will cause white heads.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

This is a quality product that does all that it says it does and more! I have been using Clinique products since I was 27 years old. I am now 66 and my skin mirrors the quality of Clinique. Rosacea was diagnosed when I was 56, and Clinique has managed to keep it under control. I always recommend it to my friends!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Quality varies among different types of cosmetics, but are overall good. Clinique is expensive, but the products I buy from them are worth it. The quality varies depending on the type of makeup you buy. Lipstick, eyeliner, and mascara are all fantastic, while their eyeshadows are a little weak.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Online I purchased two bottles of Aromatics Elixir perfume from a Debenhams. It was on offer for £58.33. When it arrived I opened the first bottle to find that the aroma that I know very well as I have used it for fifteen years or more was not the same perfume smell. Have the formula been altered? I have sprayed and sprayed the perfume all over my body and the clothes I am wearing but the aroma doesn't last. It's become a rubbish product for an expensive price.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Skin doesn't break out from product. Many times, when using their blushes, when there is about 2/3 of the product left, the product in the compact begins to crumble into chucks. It is very disappointing, messy and makes this product very expensive. I really enjoy when the company offers free gift samples with a purchase. I can only get this brand at a few speciality stores, which makes me have to travel to a mall Macy's or Lord and Taylor. This can be somewhat inconvenient. I highly appreciate when the counter reps call me to advise of their promos.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I love the wide variety of colors of Clinique eyeshadow and lipsticks and blushers. The makeup shades base makeup shades are very good. Also they always have one that matches my skin. 20 cosmetics excelled in most major department stores. Then sales ladies are very knowledgeable about the product and can help you pick out the correct colors and Products that go with it. Best the best of all is their bonus time so you get to try different products for free if you buy just a small amount of their other products.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

Clinique is relatively allergy free. For those of us with skin sensitivities, it's the only way to go. I find Clinique safe to use. There are no ingredients in most of the products that I have a reaction to. I also find that the lotions accomplish what they tell me they will do. My face feels moistened without being sticky or feeling weighed down.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I purchased Clinique foundation and loved the natural look and feel of the makeup. However, though this product is listed as hypo-allergenic, it is the ONLY makeup that has ever dried out my skin and given me a rash. I do not have sensitive skin at all and I never have dry, flaky, or rashly skin. There must be something in this product which is unhealthy and even toxic to the skin. I came on here looking to find out what that could be... Apparently there are many other bad reactions in the customer base too. I don't know how a company could hope to remain in business like this. I did notice that there were no Clinique counters in most department stores anymore, and in the one who did sell it, the Clinique counter was all the way in the back and poorly attended.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

I am currently really suffering from a severe reaction to the Clinique Custom Repair Serum. My face and under my eyes is puffy and sore and I've had to go to the doctor to get some strong antihistamine. This has been going on for two days and I'm still in agony. I can't believe I've reacted to a very expensive cream in such a way. There should be a clear warning on this product. I am going to write to the company and explain what's happened. Beware anyone else using Clinique!!!

Original review: Sept. 24, 2016

I bought this product a week ago. I used to use Youth Surge SPF 15 with no comments. It was perfect. Then the lady who is responsible to sell this product convince me to go for this product. I put it on my face every day. On the third day I start having irritation on my chin. Then later on fourth day my chin looks very dry (It looks I did not use my cream. Very dry). I keep use it then I suddenly on the sixth day I have a swelling around my eyes and the skin dry. I do not know what to do. Help.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2016

When I was in college, I tried out Clinique's 3-step system for acne treatment/daily skin care. It involved using a facial cleanser, an exfoliating lotion, and a moisturizing lotion. Even though it said to apply these three items twice daily, I only did it once a day, when I took my evening shower, and it cleared up 95% of my acne within a week. I did not like the sunscreen they offered as the day-time moisturizer to use with this system, it often irritated my eyes. But the regular moisturizer was fine. Clinique is also very customer service oriented. Once I ordered more facial cleanser and when it arrived it had leaked all over the box. They sent me another bottle free of charge and there was no hassle. All in all, I would definitely recommend this product to other people!

Original review: June 9, 2016

A friend gave me this Clinique moisturizer as a gift last Christmas. I started using it right away. I used it every morning and after 3 days or so started noticing some breakouts on my skin. I didn't blame the moisturizer yet and continued using it still. But the breakouts did not fade. After weeks of using, I decided to stop using it. After a few days, there were no more breakouts on my face. Maybe it's just coincidence or what but after some time I tried to use it again - lo and behold 2 days after breakouts started to appear on my face again. I guess this moisturizer is not for me.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I received a sample for this Smart Repair serum and loved it. I purchased the 1.7 oz, serum and on first use I broke out in red bumps and skin irritation. I only used it now for 4 days, I am still using it as I am hoping this might stop to break me out. If it does not stop to break me out I will have to take it back. I would think that when spending $89 it would be a good tested serum. I have used other serums that did not break me out, and might have to make a change from Clinique.

Original review: May 20, 2016

My boyfriend gave me a Clinique Happy Perfume as an anniversary gift. It was my first time to use this brand and I was really Clinique Happy! It smells soooooooooo good! It is not too strong. It is really pleasant to the nose. I think it's better than my current perfume. I receive compliments from my friends and officemates. They say my perfume really smells so good. I wish I have known about Clinique Happy before. I'm gonna change to Clinique now. I'm gonna give this as a gift also to my mother. Hope she likes it as well!!! This is really a great product! Love it soooo much! I'm happy with Clinique Happy!

Original review: May 14, 2016

I wanted to improve the face products I used on a daily basis. I don't frequently get breakouts but when I do, they are pretty bad. I decided to try out Clinique's 3-step products. After the first day, my cheeks, chin and upper lip dried out and started peeling very badly. My face began to itch horribly and it was painful to stretch any part of the skin of my face. Days 2 and 3, I followed up on the dryness with some argan oil (different product -- not Clinique) and my face calmed down a bit, but the dryness kept coming back.

I started thinking that maybe my face is reacting because it is a different product and my skin isn't used to it -- however, after searching online, it seems as though this is a common reaction from many people to Clinique's products. It's the end of Day 3 and my skin still feels and looks as though it suffered a chemical burn on my cheeks, chin and upper lip. My forehead is now beginning to itch and one side of my face along the jawline is starting to breakout. I do not recommend these products at all. They seem to be too harsh.

Original review: May 9, 2016

I bought your Redness Solutions Makeup a month ago, and had Mia, at the Walden Galleria Mall help me. I was so happy with my results, that that night, I wrote an email to you regarding how it made my rosacea skin look and feel fantastic, and how I literally cried at the counter because I couldn't believe the results... well, I was dead wrong.

The next day, and for SEVERAL weeks after, my eyes swelled up, my skin around my eyes PEELED, my eyelids were swollen almost shut, my eyebrows were flaking because of the dryness and irritation. I work 16 hr shifts and was difficult to go to the doctors (that is how bad my face was) I was put on 2 allergy medications, all due to the makeup!!! My face was on fire!!! I looked like I aged 20 yrs with the bags under my eyes, let alone the puffiness. I felt wheezy in the chest. I couldn't believe that this product could do so much damage. I did return it, but literally... it took over 3 WEEKS for the symptoms to even start to disappear! My face was a mess! It was on fire for weeks! This is the worst makeup ever.

Original review: May 5, 2016

I bought Lash Doubling Mascara because it was from Clinique and my eyes are sensitive to some mascaras. This mascara would irritate my eyes so badly, they would burn and start watering. When watering, the mascara would streak my face with black running down my cheeks. Very disappointed in this product.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I'm sure Clinique works well for some people, but I strongly advise people who have sensitive skin to avoid. I usually use Avene skin recovery cream ever since I had a minor acne problem a short time ago. I had ran out of Avene so for about 3 days I used some Clinique superdefense that I've had for a short while. My skin has come out in a horrible, itchy rash, looks awful and I feel terrible. What is worse is that the lady in Clinique had talked me into buying it and it was expensive! I bought it along with the Clinique 3 step acne blemish solution (which also made my acne worse). Be really careful with Clinique products.

Original review: March 25, 2016

Bought Clinique foundation because I've heard such good things. Purchased on a Friday, began using on Saturday and by Tuesday started getting a rash. By Wednesday had to start Benadryl for the red, itchy rash that started on my jaw line and went to neck.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I used a sample of Clinique Superprimer Face Primer for about a week. At first it was excellent. It done its job. But I began to break out. My skin does not tend to react to products such as this. But this gave my skin a bad rash, it looks like heat rash. It is very itchy and my skin is very sensitive right now. I wouldn't recommend this to people with very, very sensitive skin. It doesn't say what on the label and it is not for all skin types.

Clinique expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Clinique revolutionized skincare with their 1968 debut of their now iconic three-step skincare system, which was the first marketed skincare regiment to be created by a dermatologist, allergy-tested and 100 percent fragrance-free beauty product collection. Today, the company sells their products worldwide and online.

• Clinique for men: Clinique’s special line of men’s skincare includes shave cream, aloe shave gel, post-shave soother, cleansing and toning products. These are specifically designed for men’s skin. Buy them separately or as a set.

• The Wink: Read up on the latest in wellness, makeup and lifestyle news on The Wink, available on Clinique’s website. Learn makeup tips and tricks from the experts, and discover the answers to all your makeup related questions in The Wink’s index.

• Online foundation finder: Use Clinique’s handy wizard to determine which foundation is best for your skin tone. You’ll quickly receive recommendations on which foundation works best for your skin along with additional products that can complete your skincare routine.

• Power couples: Clinique’s online “power couples” section gives consumers the best skin care and makeup combinations to match their skin needs. Choose from acne, hydration, lifting/firming, redness or uneven skin tone.

• Allergy tested: Clinique is dedicated to creating allergen-free makeup and skincare products. They formulate their products without any known allergens, and then test each product 12 times on 600 people. They start over if one or more tests results in an allergic reaction.

• Best for: Clinique is best for men and women who want allergen-free makeup and skincare solutions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs