1.87/5
Based on 131 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

175 Clinique Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I visited the Boots in Speke Retail Park in Liverpool 8th December 2018. The Clinique Counter Manager, Olivia did my eye makeup and really natural foundation coverage ready for a Christmas night out. Olivia was so helpful, professional and knowledgeable, I don't usually like full face makeup because it can be too heavy and skin tone has always been mismatched, she did such a lovely job and I received SO many compliments that I had to leave a good review. Thank you so much and Clinique... Olivia is a real asset to your company... Refused to take a tip too, insisting, it's just her job!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I had a little patch of dry skin on my face from using Benzagel which always happens so my mother gave me the Clinique DDM+ to moisturize it. The first day I used it in my dry spot and it didn't seem to do much but I thought it was moisturizing it. Since it is winter I thought about moisturizing only my whole cheek area as my T-Zone is quite oily anyways. I went to bed with it. On the next morning my chin and cheeks itched and the skin in those areas became hard and dry. Not dry enough for flakes to come off but it's so dry and hard. When I smile I get a whole bunch of wrinkles that were never there before.

My skin became a lot less sensitive than it was before, when I touch it it's like a layer of plastic over my skin that I can't get rid of. I used a face mask and bio oil to try to get rid of the dehydrated skin. This is day 3 now and my skin hasn't really shown any improvements. I never should have used this stupid product, I should have just kept with my L'Occitane moisturizer. Now my skin is completely damaged, red, itchy, super dry, hard and wrinkly. I'm only 20 and I really hope this damage is repaired within a couple of weeks at most...

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I just got an email saying the free full size Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ 125ml Bottle from the Cyber Monday deal was cancelled from my order. It says it's unavailable but when I got to Clinique website it's there readily available for purchase. I ordered extra product to qualify for this promotion.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I received an ad in my email that if I ordered $75 I would receive a full-size product for free. I ordered over $90. I selected one of the choices of the full-size product that they offer and it went to my cart showing the costs as zero. When you click check out it disappears from the items purchasing list. I called customer service and I was told that they were out of stock and couldn't do anything about it, even though the ad was only a few hours old. This is the 3rd time in a couple of years that this has happened to me with Clinique.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

The Clinique skin care products I recently bought at Sephora are giving my normal healthy skin terrible rash, redness, itching, burning and all over allergic reaction. I tried the 72 hour moisture surge on my face and also the 3 step (blue for acne) with salicylic acid on my body as a wash (instructions said it can be done) and I am having a terrible reaction. I have never had a bad reaction from cosmetics or hair dye before. I think they should discontinue these products. I am in pain and must take an emergency shower. My arms, legs, face, all are itching. This is a terrible soap. Bad company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clinique?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Bad Experience with Quickliner for Eyes Intense: I for have used many of the Clinique products and for the most part have been satisfied, but recently I got the Quickliner for Eyes in the colour Intense Ebony and was very disappointed. It was very hard and would not transfer the color. I tried calling CLINIQUE and they told me to try wiping it as sometimes there is a slight film on it or try warming the product. I did both to no avail and the liner ended up crumbling when I tried to reapply it. CLINIQUE would do nothing about it. I suggested that the product was old and had dried out, but still no customer support. The customer service is very disappointing considering I am a loyal customer. I would think a company as big as Clinique would stand behind their products. So if anyone is thinking about buying this product, try it on your hand before leaving the store to make sure it is not all dried out.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This product tingles. Didn't think much of it. I now have Erysipelas which is caused by trauma to the face. At first I though I was having an allergic reaction to ** as I had taken 2 for pain (I take absolutely no other medication and rarely take ** or **) when I awoke in the middle of the night with my face on fire and itchy, swollen. I didn't know what was wrong, I then took a ** as I thought it was an allergic reaction. I went to work and it got worse as the day went on. I went to the clinic and was told I have Erysipelas - my research shows this is caused by ‘trauma to the face’ and can take weeks and penicillin to be healed.

I have read the other reviews and I now know for sure that this Clinique clarifying lotion is to blame. Stay away from it! I have never had a reaction to anything like this before, I don't use chemicals or lots of products. I am severely in pain, and disappointed that a product I trusted would leave me looking horrible. Buyer beware. I received this product in the 3 piece ‘gift’ pack with the lotion that is a good product... I think. Maybe I should stop using it as well.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have spent about $750 in Clinique products the past year. Whether you buy from them online or submit receipts for their products you bought elsewhere, you get a point dollar for dollar when you sign up for their Smart Rewards. You are supposed to get free items at different levels starting at 150. They never have the free items in stock!!! You have to be placing an order to get what you EARNED, if it’s available. So keep ordering? I think not. Anniversary gift?

Still out of stock 3 months later. How about those who have anniversaries in the meantime? Points expire on your anniversary even though they can’t fulfill their promise during your year in a timely informed manner. No one is telling you your free stuff is now available- you have to contact them constantly and get nothing for your time (or all your spending as promised. A year I’ve been doing this. It’s not a glitch. They want you to spend away and then oh geez, we’re sorry. Try back soon. Scam. Intentional scam.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have never had an allergic reaction on my face from any products. I switched my foundation from Dior to Clinique with a recommendation from lady at Sephora because it was half the price. We also used the take the day off cleansing balm to take everything off at the store. I woke up next day fine. Put on makeup and then noticed I had major swelling in my face during the day... Later that night I took off Makeup with Clinique, Take The Day Off cream and then the next morning I my face looked like a blown up cabbage patch doll, eyes swollen shut, face super hot and huge... I got steroid shot at urgent care. Took 11 hours for things to simmer down... Then I woke up again this morning and still very swollen on steroids for another 4 days... This has been a crazy ordeal and couldn't go to work yesterday... Awful. Returned all Clinique product I bought.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have sensitive skin and find most brands cause me to develop a rash. Clinique offers a full line of products from cleaning to mascara and a great variety of foundations from barely coverage to heavy.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I love the Clinique Even Better face makeup. I have used it for years. It is creamy and goes on smoothly and give my skin a moist glow. The price for the quality is excellent too.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was reading some of the reviews, and happen to agree that they have changed the formula of some things. I noticed, that the loose powder that I have bought for years, does not feel, or look the same. Plus, I agree with not just Clinique people who like to tell you the color they like. All department store cosmetic people don't know what they are doing. I cannot say how many bottles of foundation that I have thrown away. So, I am looking for another loose powder. Serves you companies right, when you start changing the formulas, and think people won't notice.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I used several Clinique products including several bottles of Toner and Black Diamond eyebrow liner. I developed severe reaction. After contacted the company, I found out Clinique never includes all ingredients on the label. Among these many carcinogen, including a carcinogen called benzophenone, which should be the cause of my bad skin reaction including bleeding, blistering, insomnia. There are people on this website complained about this product for its bad reaction. If you are interested in bringing in a class action. Please contact me. I have filed a lawsuit against Clinique and FDA because in this country there is no clear law to regulate cosmetics. In Europe, benzophenone is clearly and strictly regulated.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Bait and switch marketing on the free gifts... So I’m sitting there at work and I get an email if I spent $28 I’ll get this free gift set. I didn’t need any makeup at the time but my concealer was running low so I thought I’d buy that and find something else to get this free gift set as it looks so darn cute. I clicked the link I had my choice between 2 gift sets- I chose the one I wanted. I then bought $28.83 worth of items which did qualify me for the free gift. But the free gift never came.

When I contacted customer care they said I already had a 15% off discount so I couldn’t get the seven piece set. That went on for three or four emails. Then I finally get somebody higher than that he says I only spent $27. I mean it’s right there on my bank account what I paid. I had free shipping. This is NOT a case where I just got something wrong. By the way this is the second time this is happened to me with Clinique. The makeup isn’t that great. Armani does a much better job with foundation. It cost a little bit more but you’ve got to try it. Anyway this company wouldn’t honor the seven piece free gift set with me and I wanted to share that with everybody so don’t be surprised if it happens to you because I went on their Facebook and it’s happening to a lot of people.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I went in to be matched with a base...the sales associate Nora did not listen to what I wanted or the shade I preferred. She pushed her on product that she wanted on me...which is unprofessional. The base she applied was too light and she would not listen.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have used Clinique Moisturizer since 2000. I genuinely couldn't can't make it through a day without it. I'm almost 50 and I still get asked out by men 10 years younger. I COMPLETELY contribute this to Clinique. Not only does it make my face feel like it absorbed a gallon of water, it isn't greasy and doesn't make my make-up run. This may sound rehearsed but I'm not exaggerating. No cosmetic surgery. ALL Clinique. I'm pretty proud divulging my age!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have used Clinique's moisturizer off and on for over 45 years and found it to be very good. Friends who use it have really great skin, maybe it is just genes.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I can always depend on a Clinique lipstick and definitely different face lotion being in stock. I also like Happy perfume. The lotion really helps my face stay soft and my makeup goes on very easily. The lipstick gives the right amount of color. I did the lip liner which makes it look even better. I love most of the products I have tried from Clinique.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have worn Happy for 20 plus years and I believe that Clinique has changed the formula. The perfume has a similar yet different scent than what I'm used to. It smells just like a knock off brand I bought mistakenly overseas in Dubai. The scent also use to last all day and by the end of my day the scent is gone. This is horrible considering the price of this perfume is much more expensive than before. If you are going to make shortcuts to a product then you need to be fair to your consumers and decrease the price rather than increase it. BAD BUSINESS CLINIQUE! Would appreciate you going back to the old formula as this is my favorite and meshes well with my body chemistry.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I used the eyeshadow base one time and had a reaction that has lasted 2 weeks. I have an appointment with my Dr. this afternoon. Severe itching, redness all around my eyes and my eyes are bloodshot and tearing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have used Clinique Superbalanced Makeup teint now for almost a month and I loved it, recently my face start to burn every time I applied it. So I had to stopped using it, after all health comes before beauty.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I love Clinique and have used for more than 30 years. What I dislike most is their discontinuing products that I have used and really liked. The products which they provide as replacements are seldom better than or as good as the original. This happens far too often. The last time I went to purchase foundation, my preference was no longer available; I was told I would have to purchase a new product to use prior to applying make-up. The new foundation was one I used several years ago - "Even Better"and I don't like it! Also the shade of blush I used for years was discontinued several years ago as was a palette of eye shadow. If customers like and purchase products--that are obviously popular since they were often out of stock--why change!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Clinique works wonderfully, very silky products that are easy to apply and give me the best complexion I can hope for. My only worry is that animals are being tested in the manufacture of these products and my next cosmetic purchase will be Essence of Rock and Doll. I'm told this cosmetic product is cruelty-free because it doesn't do any testing on animals for its manufacture.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

This product is given out as a sample. The company claims the products are allergy tested, but I am not sure what allergens they evaluate. This product contains whey protein, a major allergen. Product burned my face. Clinique still claims there are no known allergens, but there are, if you ask for the ingredients.

Resolution response: May 21, 2017

Customer service is slow, but they did end up getting back to me, which I appreciate. I still wish they didn't discontinue the 01 shade of bb cream...

Original review: May 7, 2017

When I wrote Clinique I asked them if they have discontinued their BB Cream Shade 01. I had elaborated saying it was the perfect shade for my mother and myself. I told them that my mother had recently passed away and I'm wondering about this BB Cream. No one responded. A week later I wrote again letting them know I called the store and found out from the department store. I called that I found out it was discontinued. Sad. Really, the lack of acknowledging my emails, discontinued product and atrocious customer service. I will not be back. Ever. When you feel like I feel, Show the companies how you feel with your money.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Clinique products is all I ever use and although I'm very happy with the wide range of make-up, perfumes, and cleansers I use from Clinique. I am very disappointed in the level of customer service. I placed an online order for a few items although my delivery seems to be missing 1 item. I have emailed 9 times. I have phoned only to be on hold for 20 minutes to be disconnected before actually speaking to anyone. I've also tried online chat only to be told nothing she can do. Email or phone customer service. You would think for the size of this company and the price they charge they would actually care about customer service.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I have only just been introduced to Clinique eyebrow pencil which I liked. But I will not buy it again because of the ridiculously short length of actual pencil inside the plastic holder. It's a lot of money for such a small amount of product. Also with the fine pencil you can't wind it back. I wound it all out to see how much was left and of course I couldn't wind it back and it snapped off. A complete expensive waste.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have bought Clinique Stay-Matte sheer pressed powder oil free for 10 years and have no issues until the last few purchases. It seems like your product is old or you have changed something because it gets crusty after about 10 uses and falls apart. This is a hefty purchase to be throwing a 3rd of it away.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

A few years ago I made a purchase and because of your generous free offer I was introduced to the dramatically different moisturizer and moisture surge. I love how my face feels and looks. My Mom and sister keep asking me my secret, LOL. "Forever a Clinique Fan!!!"

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Good product. It provides awesome coverage, not heavy, doesn't break my skin out, conceals my dark spots, diminishes the appearance of my lines, makes me look ten yrs. younger.

Clinique expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Clinique revolutionized skincare with their 1968 debut of their now iconic three-step skincare system, which was the first marketed skincare regiment to be created by a dermatologist, allergy-tested and 100 percent fragrance-free beauty product collection. Today, the company sells their products worldwide and online.

• Clinique for men: Clinique’s special line of men’s skincare includes shave cream, aloe shave gel, post-shave soother, cleansing and toning products. These are specifically designed for men’s skin. Buy them separately or as a set.

• The Wink: Read up on the latest in wellness, makeup and lifestyle news on The Wink, available on Clinique’s website. Learn makeup tips and tricks from the experts, and discover the answers to all your makeup related questions in The Wink’s index.

• Online foundation finder: Use Clinique’s handy wizard to determine which foundation is best for your skin tone. You’ll quickly receive recommendations on which foundation works best for your skin along with additional products that can complete your skincare routine.

• Power couples: Clinique’s online “power couples” section gives consumers the best skin care and makeup combinations to match their skin needs. Choose from acne, hydration, lifting/firming, redness or uneven skin tone.

• Allergy tested: Clinique is dedicated to creating allergen-free makeup and skincare products. They formulate their products without any known allergens, and then test each product 12 times on 600 people. They start over if one or more tests results in an allergic reaction.

• Best for: Clinique is best for men and women who want allergen-free makeup and skincare solutions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs