1.89/5
Based on 123 reviews that contain star ratings

167 Clinique Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have never had an allergic reaction on my face from any products. I switched my foundation from Dior to Clinique with a recommendation from lady at Sephora because it was half the price. We also used the take the day off cleansing balm to take everything off at the store. I woke up next day fine. Put on makeup and then noticed I had major swelling in my face during the day... Later that night I took off Makeup with Clinique, Take The Day Off cream and then the next morning I my face looked like a blown up cabbage patch doll, eyes swollen shut, face super hot and huge... I got steroid shot at urgent care. Took 11 hours for things to simmer down... Then I woke up again this morning and still very swollen on steroids for another 4 days... This has been a crazy ordeal and couldn't go to work yesterday... Awful. Returned all Clinique product I bought.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I have sensitive skin and find most brands cause me to develop a rash. Clinique offers a full line of products from cleaning to mascara and a great variety of foundations from barely coverage to heavy.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

I love the Clinique Even Better face makeup. I have used it for years. It is creamy and goes on smoothly and give my skin a moist glow. The price for the quality is excellent too.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I was reading some of the reviews, and happen to agree that they have changed the formula of some things. I noticed, that the loose powder that I have bought for years, does not feel, or look the same. Plus, I agree with not just Clinique people who like to tell you the color they like. All department store cosmetic people don't know what they are doing. I cannot say how many bottles of foundation that I have thrown away. So, I am looking for another loose powder. Serves you companies right, when you start changing the formulas, and think people won't notice.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I used several Clinique products including several bottles of Toner and Black Diamond eyebrow liner. I developed severe reaction. After contacted the company, I found out Clinique never includes all ingredients on the label. Among these many carcinogen, including a carcinogen called benzophenone, which should be the cause of my bad skin reaction including bleeding, blistering, insomnia. There are people on this website complained about this product for its bad reaction. If you are interested in bringing in a class action. Please contact me. I have filed a lawsuit against Clinique and FDA because in this country there is no clear law to regulate cosmetics. In Europe, benzophenone is clearly and strictly regulated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Clinique?

Original review: May 12, 2018

Bait and switch marketing on the free gifts... So I’m sitting there at work and I get an email if I spent $28 I’ll get this free gift set. I didn’t need any makeup at the time but my concealer was running low so I thought I’d buy that and find something else to get this free gift set as it looks so darn cute. I clicked the link I had my choice between 2 gift sets- I chose the one I wanted. I then bought $28.83 worth of items which did qualify me for the free gift. But the free gift never came.

When I contacted customer care they said I already had a 15% off discount so I couldn’t get the seven piece set. That went on for three or four emails. Then I finally get somebody higher than that he says I only spent $27. I mean it’s right there on my bank account what I paid. I had free shipping. This is NOT a case where I just got something wrong. By the way this is the second time this is happened to me with Clinique. The makeup isn’t that great. Armani does a much better job with foundation. It cost a little bit more but you’ve got to try it. Anyway this company wouldn’t honor the seven piece free gift set with me and I wanted to share that with everybody so don’t be surprised if it happens to you because I went on their Facebook and it’s happening to a lot of people.

Original review: April 1, 2018

I went in to be matched with a base...the sales associate Nora did not listen to what I wanted or the shade I preferred. She pushed her on product that she wanted on me...which is unprofessional. The base she applied was too light and she would not listen.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I have used Clinique Moisturizer since 2000. I genuinely couldn't can't make it through a day without it. I'm almost 50 and I still get asked out by men 10 years younger. I COMPLETELY contribute this to Clinique. Not only does it make my face feel like it absorbed a gallon of water, it isn't greasy and doesn't make my make-up run. This may sound rehearsed but I'm not exaggerating. No cosmetic surgery. ALL Clinique. I'm pretty proud divulging my age!

Original review: March 14, 2018

I have used Clinique's moisturizer off and on for over 45 years and found it to be very good. Friends who use it have really great skin, maybe it is just genes.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I can always depend on a Clinique lipstick and definitely different face lotion being in stock. I also like Happy perfume. The lotion really helps my face stay soft and my makeup goes on very easily. The lipstick gives the right amount of color. I did the lip liner which makes it look even better. I love most of the products I have tried from Clinique.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have worn Happy for 20 plus years and I believe that Clinique has changed the formula. The perfume has a similar yet different scent than what I'm used to. It smells just like a knock off brand I bought mistakenly overseas in Dubai. The scent also use to last all day and by the end of my day the scent is gone. This is horrible considering the price of this perfume is much more expensive than before. If you are going to make shortcuts to a product then you need to be fair to your consumers and decrease the price rather than increase it. BAD BUSINESS CLINIQUE! Would appreciate you going back to the old formula as this is my favorite and meshes well with my body chemistry.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I used the eyeshadow base one time and had a reaction that has lasted 2 weeks. I have an appointment with my Dr. this afternoon. Severe itching, redness all around my eyes and my eyes are bloodshot and tearing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

I have used Clinique Superbalanced Makeup teint now for almost a month and I loved it, recently my face start to burn every time I applied it. So I had to stopped using it, after all health comes before beauty.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I love Clinique and have used for more than 30 years. What I dislike most is their discontinuing products that I have used and really liked. The products which they provide as replacements are seldom better than or as good as the original. This happens far too often. The last time I went to purchase foundation, my preference was no longer available; I was told I would have to purchase a new product to use prior to applying make-up. The new foundation was one I used several years ago - "Even Better"and I don't like it! Also the shade of blush I used for years was discontinued several years ago as was a palette of eye shadow. If customers like and purchase products--that are obviously popular since they were often out of stock--why change!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Clinique works wonderfully, very silky products that are easy to apply and give me the best complexion I can hope for. My only worry is that animals are being tested in the manufacture of these products and my next cosmetic purchase will be Essence of Rock and Doll. I'm told this cosmetic product is cruelty-free because it doesn't do any testing on animals for its manufacture.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

This product is given out as a sample. The company claims the products are allergy tested, but I am not sure what allergens they evaluate. This product contains whey protein, a major allergen. Product burned my face. Clinique still claims there are no known allergens, but there are, if you ask for the ingredients.

Resolution response: May 21, 2017

Customer service is slow, but they did end up getting back to me, which I appreciate. I still wish they didn't discontinue the 01 shade of bb cream...

Original review: May 7, 2017

When I wrote Clinique I asked them if they have discontinued their BB Cream Shade 01. I had elaborated saying it was the perfect shade for my mother and myself. I told them that my mother had recently passed away and I'm wondering about this BB Cream. No one responded. A week later I wrote again letting them know I called the store and found out from the department store. I called that I found out it was discontinued. Sad. Really, the lack of acknowledging my emails, discontinued product and atrocious customer service. I will not be back. Ever. When you feel like I feel, Show the companies how you feel with your money.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Clinique products is all I ever use and although I'm very happy with the wide range of make-up, perfumes, and cleansers I use from Clinique. I am very disappointed in the level of customer service. I placed an online order for a few items although my delivery seems to be missing 1 item. I have emailed 9 times. I have phoned only to be on hold for 20 minutes to be disconnected before actually speaking to anyone. I've also tried online chat only to be told nothing she can do. Email or phone customer service. You would think for the size of this company and the price they charge they would actually care about customer service.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2017

I have only just been introduced to Clinique eyebrow pencil which I liked. But I will not buy it again because of the ridiculously short length of actual pencil inside the plastic holder. It's a lot of money for such a small amount of product. Also with the fine pencil you can't wind it back. I wound it all out to see how much was left and of course I couldn't wind it back and it snapped off. A complete expensive waste.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have bought Clinique Stay-Matte sheer pressed powder oil free for 10 years and have no issues until the last few purchases. It seems like your product is old or you have changed something because it gets crusty after about 10 uses and falls apart. This is a hefty purchase to be throwing a 3rd of it away.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2016

A few years ago I made a purchase and because of your generous free offer I was introduced to the dramatically different moisturizer and moisture surge. I love how my face feels and looks. My Mom and sister keep asking me my secret, LOL. "Forever a Clinique Fan!!!"

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Good product. It provides awesome coverage, not heavy, doesn't break my skin out, conceals my dark spots, diminishes the appearance of my lines, makes me look ten yrs. younger.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

It good for people who has allergies. My favorite they no longer carry. Found another one that is good but our skin doctor says it will cause white heads.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

This is a quality product that does all that it says it does and more! I have been using Clinique products since I was 27 years old. I am now 66 and my skin mirrors the quality of Clinique. Rosacea was diagnosed when I was 56, and Clinique has managed to keep it under control. I always recommend it to my friends!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Quality varies among different types of cosmetics, but are overall good. Clinique is expensive, but the products I buy from them are worth it. The quality varies depending on the type of makeup you buy. Lipstick, eyeliner, and mascara are all fantastic, while their eyeshadows are a little weak.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2016

Online I purchased two bottles of Aromatics Elixir perfume from a Debenhams. It was on offer for £58.33. When it arrived I opened the first bottle to find that the aroma that I know very well as I have used it for fifteen years or more was not the same perfume smell. Have the formula been altered? I have sprayed and sprayed the perfume all over my body and the clothes I am wearing but the aroma doesn't last. It's become a rubbish product for an expensive price.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

Skin doesn't break out from product. Many times, when using their blushes, when there is about 2/3 of the product left, the product in the compact begins to crumble into chucks. It is very disappointing, messy and makes this product very expensive. I really enjoy when the company offers free gift samples with a purchase. I can only get this brand at a few speciality stores, which makes me have to travel to a mall Macy's or Lord and Taylor. This can be somewhat inconvenient. I highly appreciate when the counter reps call me to advise of their promos.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2016

I love the wide variety of colors of Clinique eyeshadow and lipsticks and blushers. The makeup shades base makeup shades are very good. Also they always have one that matches my skin. 20 cosmetics excelled in most major department stores. Then sales ladies are very knowledgeable about the product and can help you pick out the correct colors and Products that go with it. Best the best of all is their bonus time so you get to try different products for free if you buy just a small amount of their other products.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

Clinique is relatively allergy free. For those of us with skin sensitivities, it's the only way to go. I find Clinique safe to use. There are no ingredients in most of the products that I have a reaction to. I also find that the lotions accomplish what they tell me they will do. My face feels moistened without being sticky or feeling weighed down.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

I purchased Clinique foundation and loved the natural look and feel of the makeup. However, though this product is listed as hypo-allergenic, it is the ONLY makeup that has ever dried out my skin and given me a rash. I do not have sensitive skin at all and I never have dry, flaky, or rashly skin. There must be something in this product which is unhealthy and even toxic to the skin. I came on here looking to find out what that could be... Apparently there are many other bad reactions in the customer base too. I don't know how a company could hope to remain in business like this. I did notice that there were no Clinique counters in most department stores anymore, and in the one who did sell it, the Clinique counter was all the way in the back and poorly attended.

Clinique expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Clinique revolutionized skincare with their 1968 debut of their now iconic three-step skincare system, which was the first marketed skincare regiment to be created by a dermatologist, allergy-tested and 100 percent fragrance-free beauty product collection. Today, the company sells their products worldwide and online.

• Clinique for men: Clinique’s special line of men’s skincare includes shave cream, aloe shave gel, post-shave soother, cleansing and toning products. These are specifically designed for men’s skin. Buy them separately or as a set.

• The Wink: Read up on the latest in wellness, makeup and lifestyle news on The Wink, available on Clinique’s website. Learn makeup tips and tricks from the experts, and discover the answers to all your makeup related questions in The Wink’s index.

• Online foundation finder: Use Clinique’s handy wizard to determine which foundation is best for your skin tone. You’ll quickly receive recommendations on which foundation works best for your skin along with additional products that can complete your skincare routine.

• Power couples: Clinique’s online “power couples” section gives consumers the best skin care and makeup combinations to match their skin needs. Choose from acne, hydration, lifting/firming, redness or uneven skin tone.

• Allergy tested: Clinique is dedicated to creating allergen-free makeup and skincare products. They formulate their products without any known allergens, and then test each product 12 times on 600 people. They start over if one or more tests results in an allergic reaction.

• Best for: Clinique is best for men and women who want allergen-free makeup and skincare solutions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs