Avon Cosmetics

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had been a customer of Avon for a good 20 yrs. On moving to a new area I was pleased to find an Avon Rep for the area who I had ordered from regularly for a good 18 months. She became quite friendly inviting me round to her house for coffee and also trying to sell me Avon products which she had stockpiled in a spare room. I was quite alarmed to find that she didn't hesitate in using these products on me to show me how they looked i.e. nail varnishes, etc., hoping to sell them to me or another unsuspecting customer. Them of course not knowing she had opened them already and shortening their shelf life. When she told me her granddaughter liked to see them too. I found this quite unprofessional. After ordering shower gels which were on offer at the time, I thought it strange that they didn't smell very strong and suspected they had been taken out of the rep's stockpile of goods.

I gave in great consideration, and decided to leave a message on the order form in the Avon book cancelling her and asking her not call again. After leaving the brochure with the note I was then called on at least 3 times by this rep and her husband who professed to be in partnership with his wife in selling Avon. The first time they called I ignored the door. But after the third time I opened the door after the continuous banging of the letterbox only to be faced with what I can only resemble as a human Rottweiler. She questioned me about the note trying to make out there was another reason why I didn't want Avon from her. She completely ignored the fact that I didn't like the way she did business. At that point her husband got out of the car, hands in pockets and appeared quite threatening. I asked them to leave but they were persistent!!! When they left I thought that was the end of the situation. But no, they appeared again at my friend's next door gossiping.

At this point I was so fed up I decided to ring Avon and spoke to customer services who passed the message on via email to the district Manager. I heard nothing... I then sent at least 4 additional emails to Avon insisting they deal with this so-called rep and her husband. And to date I heard nothing. I am very disappointed in the way Avon has not dealt with this situation and find as a large company their dismissive attitude to what I can only say as a very bad representative of what was a successful business. I later find out that 4 other people on the estate stopped dealing with this Avon rep because of orders not being fulfilled and the arrogant nature of the rep and particularly her husband.

I should have known not to order with Avon after my first email with my representative. I used to order Avon many years ago and thought I would try again because it was usually a great experience. My representative lives close by and in the first email, she described that having orders delivered to her home was not what she usually do because it's "hell to get the money from them". I thought this was inappropriate considering this is my first interaction with you and it is not fair to categorize me as others who do not pay you on time. I ordered my items on December 21st and needed to return one a few days ago because one didn't work out. I contacted my representative who replied that she needs to know the reason for my return and typically when she places an order, there is a return she has to pay to ship it back.

As a company, your representatives shouldn't passive aggressively let their customers know that they have to pay for shipping back. That is not the customer's concern. I was planning to return the item the weekend after Christmas, however I was out of town and requested to bring it the next weekend which she said was no problem. Then I receive an email informing me that she is sorry but the items had to be returned by January 5th. Okay... then why wasn't I informed of that? Doesn't the Avon website say two months for returns? I dropped the item off at her house and wasn't even greeted by my representative who had her husband answer the door and ask why I was returning it. Again, not a great impression. I received my cash back and that is the last time I will ever order from Avon again.

Avon treat reps despicably. They make mistakes with returns and orders and make their reps pay for Avon's mistakes. Their telephone operatives speak to you as though they are reading from a script and have no ability to respond to individual issues, insisting on repeating themselves, making no effort to understand or admit errors on their part. Thanks to their terrible returns procedure they have wrongly fined me £35 for a "late" return they failed to collect and left me with a late payment on my credit file because of their error, not mine.

After 2 years of putting up with them, whilst going to great lengths to make my customers happy, Avon have now let me down one too many times and I quit Avon. I like some of the products but they treat their agents terribly Andean addition to that they falsely claim it is a way to earn money. It's merely a way to earn discount on products. This should be made clearer. It is not a viable way to earn a living wage for the vast majority of reps in my experience. They make it very difficult to run your business because the website is unreliable, returns are never processed on-time, they fail to admit responsibility or offer any kind of solution or resolution to problems and there is a complete lack of support.

They do NO TESTING ON ANIMALS and the skin products feel great on my skin and face. The prices are the lowest for the highest quality products that I've ever found so far. Best products for the best price. The variety is always fantastic and as far as Skin Care goes I don't think there's a wider variety of products known to man. All of the products that I've tried have been fantastic or at least better than average. The prices are very reasonable and I will always be an Avon customer.

Good products and priced well. I've been using Avon on and off for years. The products are good as well as price and free shipping is a bonus. I stick with the moisturizers. Not really sure about the makeup.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avon?

AVON does not test on animals, has wonderful products for all ethnicities and skin types, and great sales. I use their website to find sales and promotions, use coupon codes to get free shipping. Their products are top of the line at a very affordable price. I have been an AVON customer for about 40 years, does this tell you something?

No better or no worse than any store brand cosmetic. The Avon brand lipsticks seem to turn pink after wearing them for awhile and are more like a stain type of lipstick. Some of the eye shadow colors are nice but they don't last long, by day's end you don't see them anymore.

The orders would come in wrong and any money earned through the e-store they kept when I quit. Then when they wouldn't deduct what I had earned from my balance so I could pay final bill, they charged me $19 late fee. Horrible company!! Don't sell Avon!

I recently placed my first order with Avon. Avon is which is good. The bad point is you are not getting 'Dior' or 'Estee Lauder' products because they are of course not cheap. However Avon is cheap and usable makeup. I like it because you get lots of free makeup with your order online. I had something missing so I called up. Spent about 1 minutes in the queue and then told the man and he said, 'I'll post it to you right away'. To me that's good service. Also my Avon Rep is also lovely and helpful. Good company and good service.

I started with an introductory sign up to sell. Then, I ordered a Premium Starter Kit, with all kinds of products, samples and brochures, they charged 100.00 for, then sent me nothing but a few brochures. When I called, the reps were very helpful and tried to get the order sent, but, were unable, so I was charged for the correct item, sent the wrong item, then asked to reorder, but told I was not allowed to order not that I was signed up. No thanks. I do not want to push their products on my family and friends and watch them in frustration and disappointment. Not the company my Mom belonged to. P.S the review I read while I was on hold about them having you reorder then billing again, most likely saved my **!

The Avon matte nail polish is a waste of money. You put it on, within a few hours it's started to chip. No matter how many layers you put. The worst part is there it stains your nails and skin for days. I wish the actual polish lasted that long. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

I ordered Avon as I usually do on monthly basis. I received my order but there were two lipsticks missing in the box but they were charged on my invoice. I hate that as Avon takes forever to refund a person for such mistakes. We suffer for their mistakes. I called them and told them that I didn't receive the material they charged for. They said I can pay for them then they will add them to my next order. I did as they advised, but to my surprise with the next order they added them but charged them again. I spoke to the team leader, she said she will assist and sort it out. To date, it is not sorted. This is not happening for the first time. This is affecting my credit score. I rather leave selling Avon than having my name tarnished.

I have been selling Avon for over one year and have three recruits. The great thing about Avon is you do not need inventory and do not fall into the trap that you should buy inventory. Hand out your brochures and build a clientele! It's that easy!! Collect for your orders before you order. Use good business sense and common sense!! I have never had any problems with Avon.

I have sold Avon for over 15 years now (with a small break here and there). I love selling Avon. I would overlook a lot of the bad reviews you see. So many people join Avon, expect to bank a million dollars in their first week, buy more than what they profit, and things of this nature and therefore are disappointed when they owe more than what they expect.

First thing first is, you need to understand how Avon works. Do not use profits for personal shopping, build your clientele, work at it and don't give up after 1 or 2 campaigns. Ask for help when you need it, do the online training (it is actually very helpful meaning you can sell more by learning more about the products you are selling). Do fundraisers (VERY PROFITABLE), get out there, don't be scared to approach people, purchase only the amount of books you need. Find reputable businesses to put your books in so that you actually get orders. Take advantage of the online store (FREE FOR YOU) and you can sell to anyone anywhere in the United States (so you can sell to family and friends no matter where they live in the USA and Avon ships it directly to their front door), and SO SO MUCH MORE...

There are so many positives to selling Avon. I sell over $700 every campaign, I setup every weekend and sell over $150 in 3-4 hours in a day, I setup at events, do fundraisers which boost sells even more (a profitable fundraiser can earn you over $1000 in less than 2 weeks AND THATS PROFIT)... WORK IT. IT'S YOUR BUSINESS AND IT WILL ONLY GO AS FAR AS YOU WANT IT TO... If you don't want to sell much, you don't try, have a lack of enthusiasm, and things of this nature then you wont make it far. You can't complain if you are not willing to work your Avon business.

I had a very bad experience with the company. I work with the company for half a year. I have problems with them now. They keep at me to join them again. They are not a good company to work for. They mess up my credit and I thought I was going make money on this adventure. It was worse thing I did.

I tried selling Avon back in May. I soon learned that it was not for me. I put in my very first order in May, I checked my status and it said that my order was not placed. I then placed the order a second time. I was charged twice for the items. They sent me triple the items I needed, so I send them back for a credit. I never received my credit, instead I have been charged for a late fee! I have called numerous times trying to explain what happened. Customer service is a joke and literally argued with me that I never sent my package back or paid for the order. She even sent me my transaction slip proving I paid for it. Now the head leader is harassing me to pay for the items again or send the items. If I knew this company was such a pitiful joke, I would have never signed up for it. I didn't sign up for this.

Of all the business opportunities that I have enrolled in, Avon is the most vicious corporation that I have come across and I would strongly advise people not to get involve in their business offer. Everything about their marketing is deceptive. I placed an order and entered my debit card information a few months ago. Received a confirmation that my order was placed. I took this to mean that my payment was already processed. To my dismay, this was not the case and my payment was late. A late charge was accrued. To make matters more confusing, my sponsor told me about a $100 credit to my account when I enrolled. However, this credit was never applied to my $43.00 payment. When I asked the billing department to explain this to me, they gave me the most complex way how this credit is applied. Avon is a very deceptive corporation. Please be careful and read all the fine details (if you can find them before your enroll).

I love everything about Avon's Exotic Beaches collection. I have the body scrub and the All Over Bronzer. The smell is so addictive and it's so relaxing. I always enjoy my showers when using the body scrub. It's like being in the beach right inside my bathroom. The All Over Bronzer also does not feel sticky on the skin. It gives my tanned skin that shimmery bronze glow that's subtle but stays on all day long. It's perfect to wear during special evening events. It makes your whole look more dramatic plus it also moisturizes the skin. Their Exotic Beaches collection is also in cute packaging with sizes you can comfortably take during travels. I also wish to try the perfume and lotion.

I was an Avon rep for almost 2 years. I did not make money but spent tons of money trying to make that extra buck. The customer service is very rude and nothing but lies. I stopped being a rep because they do not care about their customers or their reps. They back order products and then make you repay for them. They do not ship what they are supposed to and then try to make you pay for it again or state they did ship it out. I had nothing but problems and then got tired of the lies to my customers. Also they lie about some of the ingredients in their products. If you do enough research on products and know what you are looking for then you can just how much bad stuff there is in these products. I will never be an Avon rep. I cannot stomach the lies, poor treatment and the awful products.

I am a representative but as well a customer. Now in a representative point of view I understand the frustration of many when not having been helped by the appropriate customer service reps. That is why I tend to ask for a supervisor or call again until I reach someone whom is reasonable. On a customer's point of view remember unless not told the customer has 90 days MONEY BACK GUARANTEED if item damaged, etc. You cannot blame a WHOLE COMPANY on certain things. Packaging is individual and they have been working on it to better it. As well Avon products has been around 130 years. They have made a name for themselves. Again as a customer I love many of the products, personally not too fond of the makeup but love the gloss and many other things like jewelry. I hope not to offend but to help with my review. Since it is not a flawless company I shall not give the full amount of stars.

About 5 months ago, I ordered 2 Avon bb creams. I initially planned to use one and the other to give to my sister. I bought the Simply Pretty bb cream (cheaper line) and the more expensive skin flawless. I wanted to be able to compare the two and unfortunately, have been disappointed by both. Both tubes give flaky bb creams that are difficult to blend on the skin. They're both definitely oil-based as it increased the oiliness of my facial skin. I already expected that these bb creams may not be satisfactory and indeed they weren't. They're even actually flaking while still inside the tube! I felt that I've just wasted money on these products and so I surely have not considered any Avon cosmetics since then.

I am an Avon representative and Lately they have started ripping me off with returns. In Jan I processed a return and they claimed there was a shortage in it although I am positive that there was no shortages in my return; they refused to give me credit for the item they claimed was short, then a couple of months later I processed another return of a single item and they claimed that there was nothing in the box and they refused to issue me a refund. On top of that they charged me shipping fees for sending an empty box. EXCUSE ME AVON but YOU ARE LIARS and THIEVES! I did not send back an empty box, why would I send an empty box and pay 7.00 dollars to ship it knowing that when you receive it you will deny my refund? They screw over their representatives any way that they can. They are a dishonest company! I'm glad to be finished with them and I will never be a customer of their products again either!

My wife has been trying to order products through Avon since February and we still have not received our product. When we try to contact the rep they never answer the call or the email. And when we try to contact the corporate office, they tell us nothing but a bunch of lies and send us to other departments that tell us more lies. This is crap and they are a bunch of fakes!

I order a necklace from a lady in Dublin, GA. The day that necklace came in I was 60 miles away at a funeral. A family member passed away. I explained this to the Avon rep. She told me if I did not come get that necklace that she will sell it. I had to go to her house and get it. I was told that she would bring it to me and then next thing I know she had posted my name on Facebook about not picking up that necklace that is. This is wrong as she said that I can't file a complaint, that Avon don't care.

Weighted hula hoop broke straight away. Leaking water first time of using.

When Avon makes mistakes, it is up to the rep. to pay. You will be responsible for return shipping charges. If you do not pay for product that you did not receive they still want their money and will charge you late fees and never send you a bill. Don't ever become an Avon Rep.

I asked the representative not to throw Avon brochures and she just drove off and did not pick up the brochure she discarded on the sidewalk. I tried twice to call her and her answering machine says she is not taking calls.

I purchased ANEW reversalist foaming cream cleanser due to my dry skin. I must say, this product does not foam up at all. It is overly thick and the scent is very pungent and not at all pleasant. I have used three times hoping it would grow on me, but not at all. The scent is really unappealing and not feminine. I'd rather have an unscented product than this one. The cleanser left my skin feeling drier than before use. I've purchased other Avon products and have not had a negative experience such as this. Just putting out a note to others that may consider this.

I tried being a rep for AVON in Oct 2015. My first order was over 100 sum dollars in which as a rep I was never really informed that in order for my package to be sent out to me I had to pay a deposit to release the products. OK, so I paid the required amount in order to have the package released, a week or so later I checked to see where the package was at, and they stated that the package was already delivered. NO PACKAGE, tracking number was given, no products. After investigation it was found that the package had to be taken off of my porch. I called AVON and informed them and asked who authorized package to be just dropped off on my porch. They stated that AVON sent notice to drop/leave on porch.

I canceled my account with them and requested a refund. They stated that would have to wait 30 days until account was closed and then would issue a refund check. As of today no refund, I have made several calls and attempts and have spoken to the supervisor in which just recently they stated that the request was sent over to the credit department and the credit department still has not released check even after it had passed time frame... UGH.

This is after several calls of them saying check for 97.00 was to be mailed as of the 30th of Dec. Not only has it not been sent but that once the credit department receives the request to look into the no issue I would have to wait a additional 6 weeks for it to be sent to me and received. I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND anyone being a representative for AVON. They are crooks and they try to keep your money. It didn't take them long to get my money for the PRODUCTS that I never received but it is taking several months to receive my money back.

The clasp broke fairly quickly after purchase and I sent them back 5 months later. Spoke to customer service on the 800 number and they could not even find the return and I used their address label that was printed by them. 6 weeks after sending them back I did not hear anything so I called. I called twice and got two totally different stories and the last story was "you have a 90 day period in which to return a product and get a refund."

Needless to say I will never deal with them again. Their motto "always make sure the customer is happy" is a bunch of crap. They were rude to me, made the comment I had called a few times which was not even true. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told they were not available. What in the world happened to customer service??? I really like their products and a good business would either credit the customer or send another pair of earrings, instead they made me feel like I was lying, like I did not return anything. I will not purchase their products or do business with them unless they correct this.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Avon has been empowering women to be their own bosses since 1886, the year that Avon’s founder, David H. McConnell, began recruiting women who used his products as salespeople. Today, women are still selling Avon as a way to earn extra income. Avon’s product line has expanded to include makeup, fragrances, clothes, skincare, bath and body products and jewelry.

• Become a representative: Women who already use Avon products can save money on their own products while making money selling products when they become a representative. Representatives can sell online, in person or both.
  • One-stop shopping: Consumers can buy all of their skincare, makeup, bath and body products, jewelry and clothes from Avon, which can make shopping easy.
  • A brand for every beauty dilemma: Avon has several brands that address different beauty dilemmas, such as acne, dry skin, oily skin, men’s skin and more.
  • Outlet: Consumers can find quality products at bargain prices by shopping Avon’s online outlet sale. Save up to 65 percent on items, which change regularly.
  • Avon Foundation: The Avon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness and providing support for victims of breast cancer and domestic violence. They fund programs, encourage outreach and award scholarships for deserving women.
  • Best for Avon products are best for women, particularly those who want to make extra income by becoming a representative.

Compare Makeup Brands