1.67/5
Based on 164 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

258 Avon Cosmetics Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 31, 2018

Avon Customer Services is DISGUSTING. Their fig diffuser oil totally destroyed the paint on my bathroom windowsill after a few seconds when I accidentally spilt it. There is no warning on the product saying to keep it away from paint or I wouldn't have sat it there in the first place. They took 8 months of multiple emails and phone calls to eventually tell me 'Tough! It's your own fault'. And their attitude was so rude and dismissive. I will NEVER buy anything from them again.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I'm a representative and there are times when I have tried certain products and I got allergic to them. But they work great on some of them. My lines and wrinkles you cannot see. I have a customer she noticed I do not have any lines or wrinkles and the customer wanted to know what I used, the products that you use it all depends on how they are used. If used properly you will notice no lines and or wrinkles.

Get expert buying tips about Makeup Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

My Avon rep has sent my order back after asking her about animal testing. I always thought Avon had ceased to test on animals. She told me it’s another company that do it! Also many companies use another for animal testing. I asked if she could just deliver the pajamas then. Instead I was told to stop contacting her & she had sent my order back?! I have the right to ask a question surely without her being so rude! I am one angry ex customer in Grimsby!!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2018

Been Avon rep 8 months, initially enjoyed it. However things went awry quickly. It's taken 3 months to get a returns book. I refuse to pay money for items that should be easy to send back. So now I've been charged interest. Owe £388 6 days ago now £441. No means of paying it. They have charged me twice for unreturned items. Can't get through to anyone in English. They make it impossible to return stuff and send you items several months after they was ordered like you remember who ordered them. Also send replacement items that no one wants.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I tried this very popular company - twice! But it was a waste of time! Both times! First of all the only good thing about it - Is the startup fee! It’s very affordable! Then you will have to advertise your website to death; and go door to door to get steady customers! - Or try to sell it to your distant relatives or so called friends! And still it doesn't work! Despite how cheap their prices are! I still got complaints from customers - to lower it more! It was never cheap enough for them! Until I realized it’s enough! And no responses of orders online either for any orders! Despite my advertising it on social sites! So I'm done with them! Just because it’s easy to get started and cheap-doesn't mean it will work out for you! It’s not for everyone!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avon?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I placed an order from Avon website, I paid the transport to be delivered within 3-5 working days. After 4 days I realised I will not get my order (£49), I checked my confirmation mail from Avon and I realised I didn’t have any reference number for my order, I phoned customers service. I was put on hold and then hanged up... I was not impressed. When I emailed them they apologised but requested to speak with my husband which name was on the delivery address, what he had to do in all of this when I place the order and I paid with my own card??? Very disappointed... Very poor customer service!!! Not recommended!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I placed an online order because I was wanting some eyeliner. I normally would order through my cousin but since she doesn't sell Avon anymore I had to do an online order. I ended up receiving an order who belonged to someone else states away from me. I contacted Avon's customer service and they told me they would send me the right order but I needed to ship the wrong order back. They said they would email me a UPS label via email so I could print it out and send it back.

When I opened the email the attachment they sent me was a 1,300 page document with a bunch of letters and numbers on each page. I figured it was a mistake so I called customer service back and asked them to resend me the label and they did. Once again I opened the email and it was another 1,300 page document with no label. I then emailed Avon forwarding the document that was sent but never got a response. They apparently do not want their products back that bad. I won't be attempting to contact them anymore.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I placed an order with Avon in August and did not receive my products, They refuse to speak to me as I am not a representative. What kind of service is that? They are still out of stock after 3 months and say I MIGHT only get my things end of November like they say every month for the past 2 months. I will never buy Avon again after I have received my products from Avon. I AM DONE WITH THEM!!!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

I'm a rep of 5 years and customer of some 30 years with AVON UK. I love the ANEW anti-aging range and it is their best ever. I like the LUXE range too. I would like to see AVON perfect the premium end of their products to ensure affordable high quality luxury and "bulletproof" make-up suitable for make-up addicts. My customers still demand paper brochures, however the online customer enjoys a faster service and social media is helping this along. AVON UK keep listening to your customers and reps and it will keep you in good stead for another 125yrs.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I recently started selling Avon, my first order place they messed up. Never sent out then tried to fix order and messed up again. It took them 3 tries to get an order with 3 items right. When I called into customer service they keep repeating themselves. I constantly had to get them to admit this was their error! Then they credited me 10 dollars and took that back in some fraudulent charge, the profit is change for a Rep they could care less. The website is a detour for first time buyers online. Very hard to navigate and unfriendly. I haven't quit because I'm trying to give them a full chance and I love smelling and looking good and meeting people and giving great cust. service experience. I am somehow sadden to know I'm competing with my own company who is selling products online and through Amazon instead of referring customer to a local Rep. I stubborn so I guess I'm either going to get burned real bad or make this work.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I am an Independent AVON Representative and Sales Leader (Part-time) going into year 5 in my local area. I joined because I like the products and I like the social aspect of serving customers in person or online, plus it is really local, I can serve most of my customers without using transport and that is a plus. I consider myself to be a customer turned order taker. I use the products myself and have a fair amount of home wear/clothing and beauty products all bought from AVON UK. I even source product from eBayers if I cannot get it from AVON (sold out or rare items). I like it that much. I am lucky to have some loyal customers who make me feel they look forward to their goods and to me.

The business becomes more personal and it is no longer just about making money. All my customers were customers of AVON long before I joined. Some of them were reps before and they just want to continue buying products they have come to rely on. AVON as a business have had their ups and downs but they are improving their processes. I have no plans to leave them in the near future. Just keep making good products, use more plant based ingredients and provide your reps with more online tools to appeal to the new tech savvy customers.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I quit being a representative on 1-30-17. I had a credit on my account for almost $50. I was told that they hold the funds for 30 days before submitting for a refund. After the 30 days it takes another 2-4 weeks for the refund to be submitted. It is now 10 weeks later and I was told a refund was submitted four days ago and it takes two weeks to arrive. So that is a total of three months waiting for MY money to be returned to me. Not acceptable!

Original review: March 23, 2017

I became an Avon rep a few months ago, wanting to earn some extra cash in my spare time. Delivery service was appalling. They delivered at 6 am and refused to deliver any later. Difficult to speak to anyone within customer service and get a sensible answer, Collection service lost my returns and despite receiving an email from Avon stating that they had confirmation that my return had been collected by the driver and that it was on the way back to them. They have since recharged the items to my account.

I called the helpline and gave them the collection receipt details and was told that was enough, then I received an email that Avon has not received my items and I will be charged for them again. I had to call them again and now they are saying that I need to prove that the items were sent back despite them already emailing me to confirm they had been collected. Collection drivers would not turn up to collect unless they also had something to deliver and all Avon would say is "oh sorry we will book it in for next month!!!" Avon does not care about their rep or customers, they only care about their own profit. I cannot represent a company like this. They will try to charge anything if you are not careful. Do not recommend.

Original review: March 21, 2017

Every time I find an Avon product I really like and buy a lot of, they discontinue it! I am so disgusted with their habit of taking away great and good selling products and attempting to replace them with shades that are boring. Here are 2 examples: The eye shadow quad that had 4 beautiful blendable shades called "Vibrant Spice" was great, then it was discontinued. It was replaced with dull version called "Desert Sunset" or something like that. Those simular shades are so plain and washed out looking that I almost returned the item but didn't want my neighbor who sells Avon to have to return it. I long for Vibrant Spice to return, but was given no hope according to Avon.

Before that there was a lip/cheek color of Blush Sparkle that was discontinued about the same time after I purchased 2 of the small clear compact like containers. There were others over time as well. These have been normal ongoing selling products, not special additions. Suddenly after selling for years, they are gone. Not fair! I want Vibrant Spice to come back. It is really the prettiest shadow shades of the whole quad line!

Original review: March 16, 2017

I am new to Avon products and happened to find an Avon book in the waiting area of a vehicle repair shop. I contacted the representative whose information was on the back and she happened to live a few blocks from me. I met her at her house and she went over the products I was interested in and she happened to have a few samples I could try. I ordered a few items being new to the brand and really liked them. I really enjoyed her professionalism.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I just started with Avon and on my first order I was very confused. I processed and paid for the order in full (so I thought) online. However when I received my order, there was a balance they claim I owed. I went back online to review my order, only to see that my invoice had been changed. Luckily for me, I was smart enough to print out my original order immediately after I paid for it. Although this mystery balance owed was a small amount, it is a very deceptive way to swindle reps out of money. So after deciding to pay the mystery balance, I closed my account. Avon is no longer an honest company and their products are not as good as they once were.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I became an Avon rep a few months ago, wanting to earn some extra cash in my spare time. I was told I would get 'freebies' catalogues without a charge for 2 campaigns which I did, but I also got a designated area as to where should I deliver them. Some of that area was convenient for me but the rest of it I could not imagine reaching by foot. On the other hand, the area behind my house was already taken by another rep, which I wasn't told at the time. I did distribute some catalogues to that area because I did not get enough orders in my designated area to make any money, yet I was charged with an admin. fee.

After that I have received a very rude phone call from a local area manager, how did I dare to go to another rep area (which I did not know, that the area next to my house was already taken) and I said I want to quit Avon anyways because IT COSTS ME TO DO IT. (Admin. fee plus buy your catalogues and only get paid commission on orders above something?? No thanks).

Not satisfied with delivery service; not arriving when expected. Having to chase my delivery up to know where is it. Not satisfied with returns: Collection service was good (Hermes) but despite returning items on time my Avon account recharged the items to me. I called the helpline and gave them the collection receipt details and was told that was enough, then I received an email that Avon has not received my items and I will be charged for them again. I had to call them again and only then was told they would update my account and that Avon has, after all, received the products. Avon does not care about rep or customers, they only care about their own profit. They will try to charge anything if you are not careful. Do not recommend.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I recently purchased ANEW CLINICAL INFINITE LIFT, I used this product around my eye area only, omg I feel like I have had a SKIN PEEL. My eyes have become sore, dry and severely wrinkled. I am taking antihistamines, using sudocrem, and having to moisturize at least every 2/3 hours per day!! I have contacted Avon direct but all that they have said is to contact my representative! I am highly dissatisfied with Avon and would NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2017

I had been a customer of Avon for a good 20 yrs. On moving to a new area I was pleased to find an Avon Rep for the area who I had ordered from regularly for a good 18 months. She became quite friendly inviting me round to her house for coffee and also trying to sell me Avon products which she had stockpiled in a spare room. I was quite alarmed to find that she didn't hesitate in using these products on me to show me how they looked i.e. nail varnishes, etc., hoping to sell them to me or another unsuspecting customer. Them of course not knowing she had opened them already and shortening their shelf life. When she told me her granddaughter liked to see them too. I found this quite unprofessional. After ordering shower gels which were on offer at the time, I thought it strange that they didn't smell very strong and suspected they had been taken out of the rep's stockpile of goods.

I gave in great consideration, and decided to leave a message on the order form in the Avon book cancelling her and asking her not call again. After leaving the brochure with the note I was then called on at least 3 times by this rep and her husband who professed to be in partnership with his wife in selling Avon. The first time they called I ignored the door. But after the third time I opened the door after the continuous banging of the letterbox only to be faced with what I can only resemble as a human Rottweiler. She questioned me about the note trying to make out there was another reason why I didn't want Avon from her. She completely ignored the fact that I didn't like the way she did business. At that point her husband got out of the car, hands in pockets and appeared quite threatening. I asked them to leave but they were persistent!!! When they left I thought that was the end of the situation. But no, they appeared again at my friend's next door gossiping.

At this point I was so fed up I decided to ring Avon and spoke to customer services who passed the message on via email to the district Manager. I heard nothing... I then sent at least 4 additional emails to Avon insisting they deal with this so-called rep and her husband. And to date I heard nothing. I am very disappointed in the way Avon has not dealt with this situation and find as a large company their dismissive attitude to what I can only say as a very bad representative of what was a successful business. I later find out that 4 other people on the estate stopped dealing with this Avon rep because of orders not being fulfilled and the arrogant nature of the rep and particularly her husband.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2017

I should have known not to order with Avon after my first email with my representative. I used to order Avon many years ago and thought I would try again because it was usually a great experience. My representative lives close by and in the first email, she described that having orders delivered to her home was not what she usually do because it's "hell to get the money from them". I thought this was inappropriate considering this is my first interaction with you and it is not fair to categorize me as others who do not pay you on time. I ordered my items on December 21st and needed to return one a few days ago because one didn't work out. I contacted my representative who replied that she needs to know the reason for my return and typically when she places an order, there is a return she has to pay to ship it back.

As a company, your representatives shouldn't passive aggressively let their customers know that they have to pay for shipping back. That is not the customer's concern. I was planning to return the item the weekend after Christmas, however I was out of town and requested to bring it the next weekend which she said was no problem. Then I receive an email informing me that she is sorry but the items had to be returned by January 5th. Okay... then why wasn't I informed of that? Doesn't the Avon website say two months for returns? I dropped the item off at her house and wasn't even greeted by my representative who had her husband answer the door and ask why I was returning it. Again, not a great impression. I received my cash back and that is the last time I will ever order from Avon again.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Avon treat reps despicably. They make mistakes with returns and orders and make their reps pay for Avon's mistakes. Their telephone operatives speak to you as though they are reading from a script and have no ability to respond to individual issues, insisting on repeating themselves, making no effort to understand or admit errors on their part. Thanks to their terrible returns procedure they have wrongly fined me £35 for a "late" return they failed to collect and left me with a late payment on my credit file because of their error, not mine.

After 2 years of putting up with them, whilst going to great lengths to make my customers happy, Avon have now let me down one too many times and I quit Avon. I like some of the products but they treat their agents terribly Andean addition to that they falsely claim it is a way to earn money. It's merely a way to earn discount on products. This should be made clearer. It is not a viable way to earn a living wage for the vast majority of reps in my experience. They make it very difficult to run your business because the website is unreliable, returns are never processed on-time, they fail to admit responsibility or offer any kind of solution or resolution to problems and there is a complete lack of support.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

They do NO TESTING ON ANIMALS and the skin products feel great on my skin and face. The prices are the lowest for the highest quality products that I've ever found so far. Best products for the best price. The variety is always fantastic and as far as Skin Care goes I don't think there's a wider variety of products known to man. All of the products that I've tried have been fantastic or at least better than average. The prices are very reasonable and I will always be an Avon customer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Good products and priced well. I've been using Avon on and off for years. The products are good as well as price and free shipping is a bonus. I stick with the moisturizers. Not really sure about the makeup.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

AVON does not test on animals, has wonderful products for all ethnicities and skin types, and great sales. I use their website to find sales and promotions, use coupon codes to get free shipping. Their products are top of the line at a very affordable price. I have been an AVON customer for about 40 years, does this tell you something?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2016

Not the best, not the worst from personal experience. Avon has weaken its potency for their fragrances. Their lipsticks overpriced. I like the bath products.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

No better or no worse than any store brand cosmetic. The Avon brand lipsticks seem to turn pink after wearing them for awhile and are more like a stain type of lipstick. Some of the eye shadow colors are nice but they don't last long, by day's end you don't see them anymore.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2016

The orders would come in wrong and any money earned through the e-store they kept when I quit. Then when they wouldn't deduct what I had earned from my balance so I could pay final bill, they charged me $19 late fee. Horrible company!! Don't sell Avon!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I recently placed my first order with Avon. Avon is which is good. The bad point is you are not getting 'Dior' or 'Estee Lauder' products because they are of course not cheap. However Avon is cheap and usable makeup. I like it because you get lots of free makeup with your order online. I had something missing so I called up. Spent about 1 minutes in the queue and then told the man and he said, 'I'll post it to you right away'. To me that's good service. Also my Avon Rep is also lovely and helpful. Good company and good service.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2016

I started with an introductory sign up to sell. Then, I ordered a Premium Starter Kit, with all kinds of products, samples and brochures, they charged 100.00 for, then sent me nothing but a few brochures. When I called, the reps were very helpful and tried to get the order sent, but, were unable, so I was charged for the correct item, sent the wrong item, then asked to reorder, but told I was not allowed to order not that I was signed up. No thanks. I do not want to push their products on my family and friends and watch them in frustration and disappointment. Not the company my Mom belonged to. P.S the review I read while I was on hold about them having you reorder then billing again, most likely saved my **!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2016

The Avon matte nail polish is a waste of money. You put it on, within a few hours it's started to chip. No matter how many layers you put. The worst part is there it stains your nails and skin for days. I wish the actual polish lasted that long. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

Avon expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Avon has been empowering women to be their own bosses since 1886, the year that Avon’s founder, David H. McConnell, began recruiting women who used his products as salespeople. Today, women are still selling Avon as a way to earn extra income. Avon’s product line has expanded to include makeup, fragrances, clothes, skincare, bath and body products and jewelry.

• Become a representative: Women who already use Avon products can save money on their own products while making money selling products when they become a representative. Representatives can sell online, in person or both.

• One-stop shopping: Consumers can buy all of their skincare, makeup, bath and body products, jewelry and clothes from Avon, which can make shopping easy.

• A brand for every beauty dilemma: Avon has several brands that address different beauty dilemmas, such as acne, dry skin, oily skin, men’s skin and more.

• Outlet: Consumers can find quality products at bargain prices by shopping Avon’s online outlet sale. Save up to 65 percent on items, which change regularly.

• Avon Foundation: The Avon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness and providing support for victims of breast cancer and domestic violence. They fund programs, encourage outreach and award scholarships for deserving women.

• Best for: Avon products are best for women, particularly those who want to make extra income by becoming a representative.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs