Avon Cosmetics

Compare Makeup Brands

Research top Makeup Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I recently started selling Avon, my first order place they messed up. Never sent out then tried to fix order and messed up again. It took them 3 tries to get an order with 3 items right. When I called into customer service they keep repeating themselves. I constantly had to get them to admit this was their error! Then they credited me 10 dollars and took that back in some fraudulent charge, the profit is change for a Rep they could care less. The website is a detour for first time buyers online. Very hard to navigate and unfriendly. I haven't quit because I'm trying to give them a full chance and I love smelling and looking good and meeting people and giving great cust. service experience. I am somehow sadden to know I'm competing with my own company who is selling products online and through Amazon instead of referring customer to a local Rep. I stubborn so I guess I'm either going to get burned real bad or make this work.

I am an Independent AVON Representative and Sales Leader (Part-time) going into year 5 in my local area. I joined because I like the products and I like the social aspect of serving customers in person or online, plus it is really local, I can serve most of my customers without using transport and that is a plus. I consider myself to be a customer turned order taker. I use the products myself and have a fair amount of home wear/clothing and beauty products all bought from AVON UK. I even source product from eBayers if I cannot get it from AVON (sold out or rare items). I like it that much. I am lucky to have some loyal customers who make me feel they look forward to their goods and to me.

The business becomes more personal and it is no longer just about making money. All my customers were customers of AVON long before I joined. Some of them were reps before and they just want to continue buying products they have come to rely on. AVON as a business have had their ups and downs but they are improving their processes. I have no plans to leave them in the near future. Just keep making good products, use more plant based ingredients and provide your reps with more online tools to appeal to the new tech savvy customers.

I quit being a representative on 1-30-17. I had a credit on my account for almost $50. I was told that they hold the funds for 30 days before submitting for a refund. After the 30 days it takes another 2-4 weeks for the refund to be submitted. It is now 10 weeks later and I was told a refund was submitted four days ago and it takes two weeks to arrive. So that is a total of three months waiting for MY money to be returned to me. Not acceptable!

I became an Avon rep a few months ago, wanting to earn some extra cash in my spare time. Delivery service was appalling. They delivered at 6 am and refused to deliver any later. Difficult to speak to anyone within customer service and get a sensible answer, Collection service lost my returns and despite receiving an email from Avon stating that they had confirmation that my return had been collected by the driver and that it was on the way back to them. They have since recharged the items to my account.

I called the helpline and gave them the collection receipt details and was told that was enough, then I received an email that Avon has not received my items and I will be charged for them again. I had to call them again and now they are saying that I need to prove that the items were sent back despite them already emailing me to confirm they had been collected. Collection drivers would not turn up to collect unless they also had something to deliver and all Avon would say is "oh sorry we will book it in for next month!!!" Avon does not care about their rep or customers, they only care about their own profit. I cannot represent a company like this. They will try to charge anything if you are not careful. Do not recommend.

Every time I find an Avon product I really like and buy a lot of, they discontinue it! I am so disgusted with their habit of taking away great and good selling products and attempting to replace them with shades that are boring. Here are 2 examples: The eye shadow quad that had 4 beautiful blendable shades called "Vibrant Spice" was great, then it was discontinued. It was replaced with dull version called "Desert Sunset" or something like that. Those simular shades are so plain and washed out looking that I almost returned the item but didn't want my neighbor who sells Avon to have to return it. I long for Vibrant Spice to return, but was given no hope according to Avon.

Before that there was a lip/cheek color of Blush Sparkle that was discontinued about the same time after I purchased 2 of the small clear compact like containers. There were others over time as well. These have been normal ongoing selling products, not special additions. Suddenly after selling for years, they are gone. Not fair! I want Vibrant Spice to come back. It is really the prettiest shadow shades of the whole quad line!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Avon?

I am new to Avon products and happened to find an Avon book in the waiting area of a vehicle repair shop. I contacted the representative whose information was on the back and she happened to live a few blocks from me. I met her at her house and she went over the products I was interested in and she happened to have a few samples I could try. I ordered a few items being new to the brand and really liked them. I really enjoyed her professionalism.

I just started with Avon and on my first order I was very confused. I processed and paid for the order in full (so I thought) online. However when I received my order, there was a balance they claim I owed. I went back online to review my order, only to see that my invoice had been changed. Luckily for me, I was smart enough to print out my original order immediately after I paid for it. Although this mystery balance owed was a small amount, it is a very deceptive way to swindle reps out of money. So after deciding to pay the mystery balance, I closed my account. Avon is no longer an honest company and their products are not as good as they once were.

I became an Avon rep a few months ago, wanting to earn some extra cash in my spare time. I was told I would get 'freebies' catalogues without a charge for 2 campaigns which I did, but I also got a designated area as to where should I deliver them. Some of that area was convenient for me but the rest of it I could not imagine reaching by foot. On the other hand, the area behind my house was already taken by another rep, which I wasn't told at the time. I did distribute some catalogues to that area because I did not get enough orders in my designated area to make any money, yet I was charged with an admin. fee.

After that I have received a very rude phone call from a local area manager, how did I dare to go to another rep area (which I did not know, that the area next to my house was already taken) and I said I want to quit Avon anyways because IT COSTS ME TO DO IT. (Admin. fee plus buy your catalogues and only get paid commission on orders above something?? No thanks).

Not satisfied with delivery service; not arriving when expected. Having to chase my delivery up to know where is it. Not satisfied with returns: Collection service was good (Hermes) but despite returning items on time my Avon account recharged the items to me. I called the helpline and gave them the collection receipt details and was told that was enough, then I received an email that Avon has not received my items and I will be charged for them again. I had to call them again and only then was told they would update my account and that Avon has, after all, received the products. Avon does not care about rep or customers, they only care about their own profit. They will try to charge anything if you are not careful. Do not recommend.

I recently purchased ANEW CLINICAL INFINITE LIFT, I used this product around my eye area only, omg I feel like I have had a SKIN PEEL. My eyes have become sore, dry and severely wrinkled. I am taking antihistamines, using sudocrem, and having to moisturize at least every 2/3 hours per day!! I have contacted Avon direct but all that they have said is to contact my representative! I am highly dissatisfied with Avon and would NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY AGAIN!!!

I had been a customer of Avon for a good 20 yrs. On moving to a new area I was pleased to find an Avon Rep for the area who I had ordered from regularly for a good 18 months. She became quite friendly inviting me round to her house for coffee and also trying to sell me Avon products which she had stockpiled in a spare room. I was quite alarmed to find that she didn't hesitate in using these products on me to show me how they looked i.e. nail varnishes, etc., hoping to sell them to me or another unsuspecting customer. Them of course not knowing she had opened them already and shortening their shelf life. When she told me her granddaughter liked to see them too. I found this quite unprofessional. After ordering shower gels which were on offer at the time, I thought it strange that they didn't smell very strong and suspected they had been taken out of the rep's stockpile of goods.

I gave in great consideration, and decided to leave a message on the order form in the Avon book cancelling her and asking her not call again. After leaving the brochure with the note I was then called on at least 3 times by this rep and her husband who professed to be in partnership with his wife in selling Avon. The first time they called I ignored the door. But after the third time I opened the door after the continuous banging of the letterbox only to be faced with what I can only resemble as a human Rottweiler. She questioned me about the note trying to make out there was another reason why I didn't want Avon from her. She completely ignored the fact that I didn't like the way she did business. At that point her husband got out of the car, hands in pockets and appeared quite threatening. I asked them to leave but they were persistent!!! When they left I thought that was the end of the situation. But no, they appeared again at my friend's next door gossiping.

At this point I was so fed up I decided to ring Avon and spoke to customer services who passed the message on via email to the district Manager. I heard nothing... I then sent at least 4 additional emails to Avon insisting they deal with this so-called rep and her husband. And to date I heard nothing. I am very disappointed in the way Avon has not dealt with this situation and find as a large company their dismissive attitude to what I can only say as a very bad representative of what was a successful business. I later find out that 4 other people on the estate stopped dealing with this Avon rep because of orders not being fulfilled and the arrogant nature of the rep and particularly her husband.

I should have known not to order with Avon after my first email with my representative. I used to order Avon many years ago and thought I would try again because it was usually a great experience. My representative lives close by and in the first email, she described that having orders delivered to her home was not what she usually do because it's "hell to get the money from them". I thought this was inappropriate considering this is my first interaction with you and it is not fair to categorize me as others who do not pay you on time. I ordered my items on December 21st and needed to return one a few days ago because one didn't work out. I contacted my representative who replied that she needs to know the reason for my return and typically when she places an order, there is a return she has to pay to ship it back.

As a company, your representatives shouldn't passive aggressively let their customers know that they have to pay for shipping back. That is not the customer's concern. I was planning to return the item the weekend after Christmas, however I was out of town and requested to bring it the next weekend which she said was no problem. Then I receive an email informing me that she is sorry but the items had to be returned by January 5th. Okay... then why wasn't I informed of that? Doesn't the Avon website say two months for returns? I dropped the item off at her house and wasn't even greeted by my representative who had her husband answer the door and ask why I was returning it. Again, not a great impression. I received my cash back and that is the last time I will ever order from Avon again.

Avon treat reps despicably. They make mistakes with returns and orders and make their reps pay for Avon's mistakes. Their telephone operatives speak to you as though they are reading from a script and have no ability to respond to individual issues, insisting on repeating themselves, making no effort to understand or admit errors on their part. Thanks to their terrible returns procedure they have wrongly fined me £35 for a "late" return they failed to collect and left me with a late payment on my credit file because of their error, not mine.

After 2 years of putting up with them, whilst going to great lengths to make my customers happy, Avon have now let me down one too many times and I quit Avon. I like some of the products but they treat their agents terribly Andean addition to that they falsely claim it is a way to earn money. It's merely a way to earn discount on products. This should be made clearer. It is not a viable way to earn a living wage for the vast majority of reps in my experience. They make it very difficult to run your business because the website is unreliable, returns are never processed on-time, they fail to admit responsibility or offer any kind of solution or resolution to problems and there is a complete lack of support.

They do NO TESTING ON ANIMALS and the skin products feel great on my skin and face. The prices are the lowest for the highest quality products that I've ever found so far. Best products for the best price. The variety is always fantastic and as far as Skin Care goes I don't think there's a wider variety of products known to man. All of the products that I've tried have been fantastic or at least better than average. The prices are very reasonable and I will always be an Avon customer.

Good products and priced well. I've been using Avon on and off for years. The products are good as well as price and free shipping is a bonus. I stick with the moisturizers. Not really sure about the makeup.

AVON does not test on animals, has wonderful products for all ethnicities and skin types, and great sales. I use their website to find sales and promotions, use coupon codes to get free shipping. Their products are top of the line at a very affordable price. I have been an AVON customer for about 40 years, does this tell you something?

Not the best, not the worst from personal experience. Avon has weaken its potency for their fragrances. Their lipsticks overpriced. I like the bath products.

No better or no worse than any store brand cosmetic. The Avon brand lipsticks seem to turn pink after wearing them for awhile and are more like a stain type of lipstick. Some of the eye shadow colors are nice but they don't last long, by day's end you don't see them anymore.

The orders would come in wrong and any money earned through the e-store they kept when I quit. Then when they wouldn't deduct what I had earned from my balance so I could pay final bill, they charged me $19 late fee. Horrible company!! Don't sell Avon!

I recently placed my first order with Avon. Avon is which is good. The bad point is you are not getting 'Dior' or 'Estee Lauder' products because they are of course not cheap. However Avon is cheap and usable makeup. I like it because you get lots of free makeup with your order online. I had something missing so I called up. Spent about 1 minutes in the queue and then told the man and he said, 'I'll post it to you right away'. To me that's good service. Also my Avon Rep is also lovely and helpful. Good company and good service.

I started with an introductory sign up to sell. Then, I ordered a Premium Starter Kit, with all kinds of products, samples and brochures, they charged 100.00 for, then sent me nothing but a few brochures. When I called, the reps were very helpful and tried to get the order sent, but, were unable, so I was charged for the correct item, sent the wrong item, then asked to reorder, but told I was not allowed to order not that I was signed up. No thanks. I do not want to push their products on my family and friends and watch them in frustration and disappointment. Not the company my Mom belonged to. P.S the review I read while I was on hold about them having you reorder then billing again, most likely saved my **!

The Avon matte nail polish is a waste of money. You put it on, within a few hours it's started to chip. No matter how many layers you put. The worst part is there it stains your nails and skin for days. I wish the actual polish lasted that long. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

I ordered Avon as I usually do on monthly basis. I received my order but there were two lipsticks missing in the box but they were charged on my invoice. I hate that as Avon takes forever to refund a person for such mistakes. We suffer for their mistakes. I called them and told them that I didn't receive the material they charged for. They said I can pay for them then they will add them to my next order. I did as they advised, but to my surprise with the next order they added them but charged them again. I spoke to the team leader, she said she will assist and sort it out. To date, it is not sorted. This is not happening for the first time. This is affecting my credit score. I rather leave selling Avon than having my name tarnished.

I have been selling Avon for over one year and have three recruits. The great thing about Avon is you do not need inventory and do not fall into the trap that you should buy inventory. Hand out your brochures and build a clientele! It's that easy!! Collect for your orders before you order. Use good business sense and common sense!! I have never had any problems with Avon.

I have sold Avon for over 15 years now (with a small break here and there). I love selling Avon. I would overlook a lot of the bad reviews you see. So many people join Avon, expect to bank a million dollars in their first week, buy more than what they profit, and things of this nature and therefore are disappointed when they owe more than what they expect.

First thing first is, you need to understand how Avon works. Do not use profits for personal shopping, build your clientele, work at it and don't give up after 1 or 2 campaigns. Ask for help when you need it, do the online training (it is actually very helpful meaning you can sell more by learning more about the products you are selling). Do fundraisers (VERY PROFITABLE), get out there, don't be scared to approach people, purchase only the amount of books you need. Find reputable businesses to put your books in so that you actually get orders. Take advantage of the online store (FREE FOR YOU) and you can sell to anyone anywhere in the United States (so you can sell to family and friends no matter where they live in the USA and Avon ships it directly to their front door), and SO SO MUCH MORE...

There are so many positives to selling Avon. I sell over $700 every campaign, I setup every weekend and sell over $150 in 3-4 hours in a day, I setup at events, do fundraisers which boost sells even more (a profitable fundraiser can earn you over $1000 in less than 2 weeks AND THATS PROFIT)... WORK IT. IT'S YOUR BUSINESS AND IT WILL ONLY GO AS FAR AS YOU WANT IT TO... If you don't want to sell much, you don't try, have a lack of enthusiasm, and things of this nature then you wont make it far. You can't complain if you are not willing to work your Avon business.

I had a very bad experience with the company. I work with the company for half a year. I have problems with them now. They keep at me to join them again. They are not a good company to work for. They mess up my credit and I thought I was going make money on this adventure. It was worse thing I did.

I tried selling Avon back in May. I soon learned that it was not for me. I put in my very first order in May, I checked my status and it said that my order was not placed. I then placed the order a second time. I was charged twice for the items. They sent me triple the items I needed, so I send them back for a credit. I never received my credit, instead I have been charged for a late fee! I have called numerous times trying to explain what happened. Customer service is a joke and literally argued with me that I never sent my package back or paid for the order. She even sent me my transaction slip proving I paid for it. Now the head leader is harassing me to pay for the items again or send the items. If I knew this company was such a pitiful joke, I would have never signed up for it. I didn't sign up for this.

Of all the business opportunities that I have enrolled in, Avon is the most vicious corporation that I have come across and I would strongly advise people not to get involve in their business offer. Everything about their marketing is deceptive. I placed an order and entered my debit card information a few months ago. Received a confirmation that my order was placed. I took this to mean that my payment was already processed. To my dismay, this was not the case and my payment was late. A late charge was accrued. To make matters more confusing, my sponsor told me about a $100 credit to my account when I enrolled. However, this credit was never applied to my $43.00 payment. When I asked the billing department to explain this to me, they gave me the most complex way how this credit is applied. Avon is a very deceptive corporation. Please be careful and read all the fine details (if you can find them before your enroll).

I love everything about Avon's Exotic Beaches collection. I have the body scrub and the All Over Bronzer. The smell is so addictive and it's so relaxing. I always enjoy my showers when using the body scrub. It's like being in the beach right inside my bathroom. The All Over Bronzer also does not feel sticky on the skin. It gives my tanned skin that shimmery bronze glow that's subtle but stays on all day long. It's perfect to wear during special evening events. It makes your whole look more dramatic plus it also moisturizes the skin. Their Exotic Beaches collection is also in cute packaging with sizes you can comfortably take during travels. I also wish to try the perfume and lotion.

I was an Avon rep for almost 2 years. I did not make money but spent tons of money trying to make that extra buck. The customer service is very rude and nothing but lies. I stopped being a rep because they do not care about their customers or their reps. They back order products and then make you repay for them. They do not ship what they are supposed to and then try to make you pay for it again or state they did ship it out. I had nothing but problems and then got tired of the lies to my customers. Also they lie about some of the ingredients in their products. If you do enough research on products and know what you are looking for then you can just how much bad stuff there is in these products. I will never be an Avon rep. I cannot stomach the lies, poor treatment and the awful products.

I am a representative but as well a customer. Now in a representative point of view I understand the frustration of many when not having been helped by the appropriate customer service reps. That is why I tend to ask for a supervisor or call again until I reach someone whom is reasonable. On a customer's point of view remember unless not told the customer has 90 days MONEY BACK GUARANTEED if item damaged, etc. You cannot blame a WHOLE COMPANY on certain things. Packaging is individual and they have been working on it to better it. As well Avon products has been around 130 years. They have made a name for themselves. Again as a customer I love many of the products, personally not too fond of the makeup but love the gloss and many other things like jewelry. I hope not to offend but to help with my review. Since it is not a flawless company I shall not give the full amount of stars.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Avon has been empowering women to be their own bosses since 1886, the year that Avon’s founder, David H. McConnell, began recruiting women who used his products as salespeople. Today, women are still selling Avon as a way to earn extra income. Avon’s product line has expanded to include makeup, fragrances, clothes, skincare, bath and body products and jewelry.

• Become a representative: Women who already use Avon products can save money on their own products while making money selling products when they become a representative. Representatives can sell online, in person or both.
  • One-stop shopping: Consumers can buy all of their skincare, makeup, bath and body products, jewelry and clothes from Avon, which can make shopping easy.
  • A brand for every beauty dilemma: Avon has several brands that address different beauty dilemmas, such as acne, dry skin, oily skin, men’s skin and more.
  • Outlet: Consumers can find quality products at bargain prices by shopping Avon’s online outlet sale. Save up to 65 percent on items, which change regularly.
  • Avon Foundation: The Avon Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to increasing awareness and providing support for victims of breast cancer and domestic violence. They fund programs, encourage outreach and award scholarships for deserving women.
  • Best for Avon products are best for women, particularly those who want to make extra income by becoming a representative.

Compare Makeup Brands