Aabies African Hair Braiding

Charlotte, NC

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I made an appointment with an agreed upon price and while sitting in the chair and 1/2 way finish with my hair, they decided to change the price from 100.00 to 120.00. I complained like hell, but treated like **. I wound up paying 105.00. These people (Africans) including Aada's on Sugar Creek (same experience) try to pimp, hustle, or take advantage of ** with every dollar as if we are stupid and they can ** us over. It makes me sick as a ** "Israelite" of Hebrew religion sold to America via ** and ** Anglo-Saxon slave masters.

They know this and do not accept ** (majority from my experience) and if all of us ** refuse to patronize or spend over 100.00 for services, then we hold the power to put their asses out of business and they can go back to Africa and pimp other **. They view us as RICH RICH RICH... and that just isn't so with a lot of us. And, I refuse to be taken for granted. And think it is incredibly sad and awful that we are treated this way by them. What the hell is their problem? Envy? Jealous? WTF.... DO NOT PATRONIZE AFRICAN BRAIDERS ANYMORE!!! ... GO TO ** off CRAIGSLIST, NEIGHBORHOODS, HOMES, TEENS, etc. etc.

I was really skeptical about letting this place do my hair because of all the nightmares I've heard from people getting their hair done from here. I'm not going to make this long and lengthy but what I will say is RUN, RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!! You guys don't know what you're doing!!! You guys are pretending!!! Stick to braiding and leave the sew in's to the pros!

There no reason three people should be in my head doing a lace frontal. I could see if I was getting my hair braided then it would make sense to have three or four people and you're here but not doing so when. That's when I knew that I should have gotten my ass up and left right then and there. My frontal is not sewed down properly and it's not even. Some of the frontal is sitting on my forehead and other areas are not. I was charged $100 and with service like this it should have been free! If the females in the shop braiding hair would spend less time talking about clients and laughing at clients they might could actually do some impeccable work!

THE SERVICE SUCKS!!! Oh and you guys might want to be careful about what you are saying around clients! Don't get it twisted and think Americans only speak one language! Some of us went to private school and are college educated! And the only reason I gave 1 star is because it's required to give at least one star. Brenda acted as if she wanted to diffuse the problem but took forever to do so. So I left. I paid the $100 but I WILL NEVER RETURN AGAIN TO ANY OF THE LOCATIONS. And the receipts that they are giving customers does not have any of their company's logo on it it's a blank paper with the time and date and the amount paid. JUST KNOW WORD OF MOUTH IS WORSE THAN ANYTHING!!! FOH!!!

I've been a customer at Aabies off and on for several years and despite poor service in the past, the braiders have usually done a good job. The last visit I made however has resulted in the 1 star rating and I will never return. I went in to get braids for myself and my daughter. As always, they were price gouging and tried to overcharge. I've never been there and been charged the same price for the same service. There is always an extra fee they try and charge for something but if you haggle or threaten to leave they will usually come around. It's a shame you have to do that but that's the way it goes.

There is a sign that says hair is included in the price of the braids but apparently that isn't the case. The price they try and charge for the hair is almost twice as much as what you will pay if you go buy your hair at Tisun in the same strip mall. Many of the braiders are very unprofessional and rude. I was in the shop over 9 hrs because the braiders constantly stopped working with myself and my daughter to service other customers. Aabies gets a lot of business but the braiders do not conduct business well and the customers are not treated appropriately.

The owner has gotten too big for her pants. She tells a customer she do not need their money really. I have been a customer way over 10 plus years. Aabie is rude, nasty, and do not know how to talk to customers. She hung up the phone repeatedly. As an owner please go back to school and take an Ethics class on how to deal with customer in a more pleasant way than hanging up the phone. Please people value your time and money. Go to a salon where you are appreciate, and well respected as a customer. Who controls all incoming calls to a salon because she do not trust their employees... No other than Aabie.

I will never go to Aabies again or recommend anyone to go there! The hair they used was so cheap, it caused a fungal infection on the back of my neck from where the hair was!!! They overcharged me also. The staff was so unprofessional. The only time they communicated with me was when they were talking about how much it would cost which was $185 for some box braids small as my head is...come on! A couple of days later my braids started to come out one by one. I'm a licensed cosmetologist and I've never experienced anything like this...this place is the absolute worst!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aabies African Hair Braiding?

It has been about a week and a half since I have gotten faux locs from Aabies on N. Tryon. My scalp for the past 2 days has been scabbed all over and very itchy because it's healing. The braiders (3 total - can only remember one of their names - Marta) twisted my hair so God-awfully tight! Now I have had tight braids before, but they loosened up after a few days. Because they used some type of heavy hair to do my locs, I think that made the trauma to my scalp even worse. A few of my friends saw my scalp after a week and said, "Goodness! You need to take those out TODAY! They are pulling your scalp!"

I had spent my last on this hairdo ($250) so I just didn't want to take them out. I didn't have money for another hairdo after I wasted the money on this one. On a scale of one to ten, at times my pain was 9 every day for about a week. Like I said, my scalp is healing now, but I think I'll take some pictures of the condition of my scalp and see what avenues I might able to pursue (refund and/or compensation for pain and suffering). I wouldn't wish that pain on my worst enemy. They will never ever get another penny from me, and I was a faithful micro braid customer for the past 2-3 years up until this.

I have been to plenty hair braiding shops but none as horrible as this. For starters instead of the stylist telling me she could not do my style, she attempted and it was all wrong. She kept looking at a pic I brought with confusion. Then she showed me a style of cornrows I didn't want but settled on because I wanted to leave at a reasonable time (which still took super long to do - 15 cornrows took 4 hours). Then they were getting busy but forgetting about the people who were already there waiting and taking the people who just walked in.

One girl got her hair done there 2 weeks ago and two braids came out. She only wanted to fix the 2 braids. They gave her such a hard time asking her who did them. When she said it's all different people, they began speaking in their language and ignoring her request until she got frustrated and started cursing them out and demanding to see the manager. They ignored her request and acted like they didn't know what she was saying. Bottom line, I will NEVER go back there again, it's an overpriced, hot ghetto, stinkin' mess of a business and whoever the manager is should be aware.

Very unprofessional environment - that's the first thing I want to say. When I called I specifically ask for Senegalese twist and how much they cost and the lady said 150 so I schedule my appointment at 2. I went to the Rock Hill location bc that was the address they had online and I called them bc no one was there and they said they were working in the Charlotte store that day. I was so skeptical about driving all the way to Charlotte but I went anyways bc I made an appointment and didn't want to keep them waiting.

So I arrive there around 3 and right off back from the time I walked into the store the two ladies inside were rude to me and told me they couldn't do my twist bc my hair was too short and told me that I should get box braids instead and told me to pick out a size, and I was stuck on them telling me my hair was too short bc yea I had got my hair cut in a style like two months before but my hair grows pretty fast so I had enough length. As I'm sitting here arguing with these two lady another lady comes in and talked and reasoned with me so I went for it but when she told me the price 175 I told her that I was told 150 on the phone and that's all I brought and I wasn't going to an atm so she agree to the 150 and gets started.

While washing my hair she tell me to sit back now and only washed my hair with shampoo and no conditioner and get this the towels. They call themselves drying your hair with the towels that you washed and dry your car with, And their sink was broken. They had to dump the water out with a bowl. When she sat me down to do my hair she kept stopping and stopping. What really pissed me off is that she and the other women stopped to buy stolen clothes from a woman that came in to the shop. Then I had five different women in my hair who all kept stopping to do other stuff. They didn't speak to me the whole time I was there but talked in whatever language they spoke. They were so rough on my hair and would smack their teeth and got frustrated whenever they messed up. And I didn't leave the shop until 9.

These are by far the worst and unprofessional stylist I have ever been to and there is no doubt in my mind that they are even license. If they are then they shouldn't be. I have never had to leave a bad review with any salon but I do not agree with the way they treat their customers and the box braids I got were done poorly. I have hair sticking out of braids and they were cutting my real hair that were sticking out. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I called and asked the price ($150) for senegalese twist. I get there and I am told that it is going to be a completely different price ($300). It was difference of $150 so I declined. Someone then followed me to my car and says to me "we can split the difference. pay 225." I said "no." I have 3 friends who said they were treated the same way. I will never go back.

I went into Aabies after reading their website with a fine tooth comb. I read all the reviews, so my experience is partly my fault. I went into the 5030 Tryon St location. One woman rudely asked me what I needed. I told her I wanted the $100 micro braids. She begins with exactly what I've been reading about telling me that she can't do the $100 braids because they're out of that hair, and that "special" is over with. She also stated that they shouldn't run that commercial anymore. I politely told her there was no commercial and that it's on their website. She got really angry and said "Well I can do it with this hair (she pointed at some non human hair) for $125." I said "No thanks I came here for the $100 dollar micros." She then asked if I can go to an ATM. I told her I could but wouldn't because I'm here for what is advertised on the website.

So I picked up my keys, purse and water and began to leave thanking them all for the wonderful customer service. Then one lady said "OK here sit, I will do it for you, while the other lady I was dealing with looked at me like she wanted to kill me." They were speaking French. However the first lady was telling the woman braiding my hair to make sure she puts it in tight pony tail and that I look like Elmo from Sesame St. The braids were "OK," but I was waiting for her to fulfill her friend's request to put my hair up in a tight pony tail. I'm sure the cops would have been there had she tried it with me. Talk all the smack they like but purposely put me in pain they would have been in pain. DO NOT GO THERE. THOSE WOMEN ARE EVIL, LONELY AND ON A CONSTANT HUSTLE to trick customers out of more money.

So, I made a last-minute decision to get my hair done. The girls who usually do my hair weren't taking any appointments after 5 pm and I get off at 5:15. So I found Aabies who would take me at 7. I called the number for the Eastway location, and all she said was 'okay' and was hard-pressed to get off the phone. I showed up at the Eastway location around 7:10. It was empty. I called and they said they were on Tryon. I walked in the first N. Tryon location and they said I was at the wrong one. So finally, at 7:30 I found the location I was supposed to be at. I felt bad about it, but all I wanted were two goddess braids, one on each side. Sort of like cute little French braids. So I showed the woman who was going to do my hair a picture of the style I wanted and she said they were cornrows, not goddess braids and she was going to do goddess braids...I had no problem with this.

The first one she finished was hideous. She didn't care if I had washed my hair, nothing. She just started. She was doing someone else's hair and without washing her hands, moved straight on to mine! I tried not to complain because I was so late. Then, she put the braids on the very top of my head! I looked like Grace Jones meets Captain Spock and they have a love child (Rest in Peace, Leonard Nimoy). She was telling me in English they were beautiful, and then grabbed a jar of gel and practically filled my head with it without asking if I'm okay with gel, and I hate it!

Then (because the women are very ignorant and assume that they are the only ones who speak Yoruba), began commenting on how ugly it was and why I would ask for such a thing. They talked about whether or not I was trying to be a boy, or a lesbian. The woman doing my hair was sarcastically defending me saying I was beautiful, like Ms. Celie (from the Color Purple). They were all talking so much smack about me and eventually the woman doing my hair just commented that she was going to get $30 dollars out of me for it! I addressed her about her comments, and she pretended she didn't speak English suddenly. I cried so much. That hairstyle made it all the way to my house that night where I promptly took it out, and cried at how badly they'd hurt my feelings and how ugly my hair was. I'm asking for my money back.. Hands down worst hair place I've ever been. I'd never recommend it. I'll post pictures of my hair later.

So I'm sitting here right now getting in medium sized twist. I will guide you from the moment I walked in to the final result. The first lady to acknowledge us was quite okay. She asked us what we came for. I then proceeded to tell her we made an appointment online and I'm here for it. She then call two ladies to decide whether she wanted to do my friend's hair or mine. (Oh yeah my friend and I came. What I had originally made the appointment for was faux Locs but did not like the example provided. My friend came for twist.)

The two females called to do the hair took a while to compromise on who was doing who. They finally decided and I of course I got the most miserable one. Yippee!! Because I have gotten this before on my island, I told them the type of hair I wanted. They then asked me to follow them (into a hair room). Here's how the conversation went.

Her: "What color hair do you want? 1? Ok yes 1." They asked and then answered for me. Luckily I did not mind the color and just said, "yup." I was taken to a chair where I was seated down and argued with on the size I should get. I could see the lady getting annoyed because I wanted medium size and she was saying small. They basically tell you what you want on your own head!!! She finally went ahead and did close to the size I wanted. I am now waiting to see the results. I will complete this review as soon as I am done!

I came to 5030 N Tryon location for a retwisting. Was given a price on the phone then when I got here it was a different story. Don't go there if you can help it...

Aabies is the worst african braid shop in Charlotte. I got box braids and one week later my hair was sticking thru the braids and falling out. I have went there several times thinking they would get better but it just keep getting worse. I wouldn't send anyone to this place ever. Not for braids or a sew in. They suck baddddd. And they have the nerve to charge you a lot of money for their mess.

Had a 10 am appointment on Tues 5-27. Only one woman acted like she knew what I was referring to when I expressed that I wanted tree braids which they advertise many styles on the website. She took me in a room full of hair to choose the color and told me tree braids was only one style and I had no choice in that matter. She quoted a price of 195.00 without the 20 dollars off Tues special that is advertised on TV and the website. I was told later that the hair that I chose did not come with the 20 dollars off any style over 100 dollars special.

During the 4 and a half hour process the woman doing my hair (no introduction) only said to me "If I help her separate the hair she could go faster." No other words were exchange, not would you like a glass of water, piece of candy, nothing! They hooped, hollered and passed out candy - loud and unprofessional in what seemed like some celebratory gathering. The hair is not human as they said it was, hard stiff brittle and after spending 200 dollars I will never again go back or recommend that anyone else does. They act like they don't speak good English until it comes to what they'll charge you. No price list, poor communication skills which communication skills should be required when doing business legally in the US.

Went to Aabies because I needed to get my dreads retwisted fast and last minute. The only thing they did right was do it. I called and was told to be there at 9:30am. I got there at 9:25. I waited, and waited, and waited. The door was locked and no one was there at all. I called the number back and got no answer, the only reason I continued to wait was because I absolutely needed my hair done that day.

At 10:15 a girl finally got there (no clue what her name was). I followed her in and she said "you need to wait until I finish eating". And continued to eat. I asked her if she accepted visa (since the website and the woman I talked to both said it is), she said no. I told her I would be right back because I had to go to an ATM. She says "hurry up". After I got back she: 1. Did not even wash my hair. 2. Put regular gel, not dread wax on it. 3. Was just rude the whole time. Never again. Worst experience and most non professional I've ever received a service from.

My visit to Aabies salon was very good. I got cornrows done and also took my daughter to get some goddess braids. In my opinion, they did a great job, As soon as I got there, I got a good price. They showed me the colors of hair my daughter wanted and the styles of braids. They had a huge book of styles and I liked that a lot. I got my cornrows up in a bun and it's still up. It has been in for almost 3 weeks. My daughter's goddess braids also came out good. Her hair is not nappy or any of that and they are very fast at braiding and gentle so I will be visiting them soon. Great job! Don't listen to the rumors until you try it yourself. You won't regret it; I didn't (:

I went to get micro braids right before Christmas 2012 in the Rock Hill, SC location. I am very unhappy with the work this time. My braids are already coming out, and my hair has not been done a full month yet. They did not braid it down to the end of my hair so all my hair is sticking out of the braids and is very puffy. I tried calling numerous times and no one returned my call; I even sent an email. I went by the location in Rock Hill and no one was ever there. I finally received a call back this week January 15, 2012. I was told to go to the Rock Hill store to let them look at it for them to tell me there is nothing they can do about it. That was my second bad experience with Aabies. I will not be returning. Also, it is true they change the prices as they get in the middle of the hairdo.

When my mother and I walked into Aabies on North Tryon, we told the ladies what service we desired to have done. I was given a price of $45, my mother $120. The ladies then proceeded to argue about who was going to do our hair. I have natural hair that had been straightened, so I needed it to be washed for my style to turn out right (braided updo). I received attitude because my hair needed to be washed. My hair was then washed with cold water and barely any shampoo. So of course, my natural curls did not return. Without combing my hair at all, the ladies proceeded to blow dry my hair and it was not totally dried. My hair was braided without being combed. While my hair was being done, I was told it should be $85, not the original price I was given.

When my hair was finished, it was frizzy and the ends were unraveling. I was asked what was going to be done with my ends. I didn't know. When I go get my hair done someplace that I would have to finish it?! When I looked in the mirror, I was disgusted with the outcome. When leaving, I put my bonnet back on and the braids were out within 30 minutes. I went to a different salon and had my hair done professionally. Aabies is definitely not professional. The ladies were arguing the entire time we were there, complaining about our hair, going up on prices for both myself and my mother's hair and I did not see one license hanging up anywhere in the shop. It was a waste of time and money. I will never go there again.

I had went into Aabies braiding hair salon to get micros in the front and sew-ins in the back, but I guess the girl didn't understand what I had wanted her to do. She started micro braiding my whole hair. After the first week, I had one braid came out then after that, another braid fell out. Now this is the second week. My hair looks like it's been in there for 4 months, but only been in there 2 weeks. My braids are falling out with my hair in it along with braids coming loose. I went to the salon where I had gotten my hair done explaining to her the problem. One of the girls that had done some of my braids stated to me that "I can re-braid your front and back over then fix the one that came a loose".

The girl was trying to tell me the reason why my hair was sliding off my hair was because of my new growth. I explained to her no matter how much new growth I get, my hair does not suppose to look like this. I get my hair braided all the time by Africans back at home. Then she stated, "the only thing that I can do is re-braid the front over the back and fix the ones that came out". I told her no because that does not make sense because my braids in the front and back and some in the middle are going to be fresh and the other ones, that does not make sense. She said that was the only thing that she can do. I stated to her, "No, I didn't want them doing my hair again. Just give me my money back because $195.00 is too much to be losing especially if I'm not satisfied with my hair". She said that is their policy. The other girl said that if Aabie says to give me my money back.

One of the girls gave me a card and told me to call these numbers to get in contact with the owner. Me and my mother have been calling these numbers, leaving messages. The owner still has not gotten back with us. Every time we call, they say she's not in, she has gone to church, she won't be in until Tuesday. It's too many excuses. What kind of owner does not care about her business? They are making up too many excuses, not giving me my money back and I'm not happy about this situation at all. Very bad customer service.

I had a very hair-braiding experience with Aabies. I got my hair braided by them on November 22, 2009. On January 30, 2010, I started the process of taking my braids out. After finally getting the braids out and starting the process of washing and conditioning my own hair, my hair became really tangled and matted down. And I was not able to comb it at all.

I come to find out after my hair started coming out from the combing. I realized it wasn't my hair just being tangled up; the Aabies hair braiders (2), who did my hair, put some type of bonding or nail glue in my hair, I guess, to keep my braids from coming out so prematurely. I did not authorize them to do no such thing nor was I asked by either braider if it was OK or advised on what they were doing. I only found this out after I attempted to take braids out on January 30.

It took me 2 days of washing and conditioning my hair to try to undo what they had done. Of one of these days, I had to miss 8 hours of pay (February 1, 2010) because of the severity of the condition of my hair. I couldn't comb it or do anything with it. I finally was able to get my regular stylist to help on February 1, 2010.

After several long hours of conditioning, treating, and combing what she could of my hair, she was finally able to get it out. I find this very unprofessional behavior, embarrassing, and now by telling my story, I have heard a lot of people complain about this business now due to my experience.

I have also seen on the Better Business Bureau that they have a Grade F. I would like for this business to be looked into, because they can't keep getting away with treating consumers who spend a lot of money on braiding like this, just doing whatever to make money. I would also like to be fully refunded the $185 i spent on the braiding, the 8 hours of pay I missed from work and the mental distress it has caused me.

I would also like some compensation for my hair coming out and treatment i will have to endure going forth, due to breakage and damage done to my hair from this. loss of pay from work,

I was in the process of transitioning from relaxed/permed hair to all natural hair--chemical free. I wanted a style that would allow my natural hair to grow a bit more for length. There was a service at church that Sunday, that I was responsible for--needless to say, I wanted my hair to look nice. I had been listening to the radio station which advertised micros (really small braids) for $100.00--at this african braiding shop called Aabies.

My family and I went to check out the shop. They had two different locations in the N. Tryon area in Charlotte. One was closed, however, the location inside the shopping center was open so I went in. I felt a bit uneasy because there was no friendliness with the staff. They just stared and stared. I took a look at some books and I was so uncomfortable--I left. This was a Saturday night. My husband convinced me to go back that next morning, Sunday and try again. He said it was 8pm at night and they were probably tired, since they are open until 12 midnight.

Well, I went in the next morning and the lady that began working on my hair was an older lady and she convinced me that she wanted to do the best for my hair. As I sat in the chair a man came around with a pad and a pen. I am not sure if he was deaf or didn't speak English--anyway he came around and had me sign the sheet as I was about to get service and then he waited around like I was supposed to do something else. I looked at him like--may I help you and the lady says "he is waiting for you to pay the 100.00. I said, But I haven't even seen the finished product nor had any kind of service.

She asked me what color I wanted my hair, I informed her I needed something to match my brown hair color--number 4. She then told me that the man with the key had left--the deaf guy who wanted to be paid in advance--and he was the only one with the key to the room of hair. She said that she could start my hair with some red color at the back and fill in the brown when he came. What is that? There is no red anywhere in my hair.

Next, as she begain braiding my hair with the braid hair. I informed her that I did not want my hair braided too tight. I wanted to keep my edges. Some individuals braid too tight and pull on your scalp, and your hair comes out--this especially likes to happen around the edges. Then we had an argument b/c she was intent on braiding so tight that the corners of my eyes reached my ears. I told her it was too tight and she said that she wanted to do a good job.

I told her that she could do a good job without pulling my scalp that way. I have had braids before and they were not nearly so tight. She became upset and began speaking african/french with the other braiders. I knew she was talking about me, but didn't care. As long as she loosened up a bit on her braiding. Four hours later, she was finished. She was bragging to the other girls because she finished the micros in such a short amount of time. Perhaps I should have been a bit wary of that.

Well three days later after receiving the braids---THEY STARTED COMING OUT! Now my husband and I paid 100.00 and 3 days they started coming out. So we went back and they told me the lady who did my hair was not there. I said, well my braids are coming out--what am I supposed to do about this. So, the girls who were there began work on my head--it was about 4 of the braiders on my head and rebraiding the braids that came out, and those that look like they were about to come out.

What a hassle. I only kept those braids in for less than 2 weeks. They were all different sizes and kept coming loose. When you pay a price for anything and that price is a good bit of money --like 100.00--you want quality. Well, I got no quality--it was a rushed job and a horrible one at that. I don't recommend this shop for braiding to anyone. They have horrible customer service at this Aabies location, were short of patience, and very mean. I wasted 100.00 that I could have used elsewhere, like on my three children or my husband.

Aabies African Hair Braiding Company Profile