Wisconsin Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Wisconsin Statutes Annotated, Ch. 799, Sections 01- 45; Ch. 421, Subchapter III, Section 401; Ch. 808, Section 04.
- Dollar Limit: $5,000; none in eviction cases.
- Where To Sue: Where defendant resides or does substantial business; where breach or injury occurred; where subject property is located. For consumer credit claims, where customer resides, collateral is located or document signed. Corporation resides where it has principal office or where it does business.
- Service: Certified or registered mail, or personal service by any disinterested adult resident. For evictions, personal service required.
- Hearing Date: Set by court.
- Attorneys: Allowed; required for assignees.
- Transfer: If either side requests jury trial or if defendant files compulsory counterclaim for more than $5,000, case tried under regular civil procedure of Court.
- Appeals: By either side for review of law, not facts; to Court of Appeals within 45 days (15 days in eviction cases).
- Special Provisions: Jury trial available. A motion for a new trial must be made within 20 days of judgment.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.