Washington Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Revised Code of Washington Annotated, Title 3, Ch. 3.66, Section 040; Title 12, Ch. 12.36, Sections 010-090; Title 12, Ch. 12.40, Sections 010-800. Washington Court Rules, Part V, Civil Rules for Courts of Limited Jurisdiction.
- Dollar Limit: $5,000.
- Where To Sue: Where defendant resides. Corporation resides where it does business or has an office.
- Service: Personal service by sheriff, deputy, or disinterested adult. By mail one copy by ordinary first-class mail; a second copy by a form of mail requiring return receipt.
- Hearing Date: Set by court.
- Attorneys: Not allowed unless judge grants permission.
- Transfer: At judge's discretion, following a hearing.
- Appeals: By either side when the amount is more than $250; for new trial, to Superior Court within 30 days. (Any party who files a claim or counterclaim cannot appeal unless the amount claimed exceeds $1,000).
- Special Provisions: No equitable relief. Either party has the right to demand a jury trial.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.