Virginia Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Virginia Code Annotated, Title 16.1, Ch. 6: Article 1, Section 76; Article 2, Sections 77-78; Article 3, Sections 79- 118.11; Article 5, Sections 122.1-122.7.
- Dollar Limit: $5,000 (Small Claims Court); $4,500 (General District Court); $15,000 (Circuit Court)
- Where To Sue: Where defendant resides, is employed or regularly transacts business, or where breach or injury occurred. In suit to recover property, where property is located.
- Service: Sheriff or disinterested adult.
- Hearing Date: Set by court.
- Attorneys: Not allowed unless bringing their own suit or representing defendant in transfer motion.
- Transfer: Defendant can remove the case to general district court at any time before the decision is handed down.
- Appeals: By either side for new trial on claims more than $50; to Circuit Court within 10 days of judgment.
- Special Provisions: Eviction cases allowed. Jury trials are not allowed except on appeals.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.