Tennessee Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 16, Ch. 15, Part 5, Sections 501-505; Title 16, Ch. 15, Part 7, Sections 712-735; Title 16, Ch. 15, Part 8, sections 801-807; Title 16, Ch. 15, Part 9, Sections 901-905.
- Dollar Limit:: $15,000; in counties of more than 700,000 population, $25,000. No limit in forcible entry and detainer cases or to recover specific personal property, except $25,000 limit for alternative money judgments in personal property cases in counties of less than 700,000. Where To Sue: Where defendant resides or is found or where injury occurred. To recover personal property Where property is. Corporation resides where it maintains an office.
- Service: Certified mail, sheriff, deputy or constable.
- Hearing Date: Set by court.
- Attorneys: Allowed.
- Transfer: Before hearing, defendant may request transfer to Circuit Court (must provide affidavit explaining why defense warrants transfer).
- Appeals: By either side for new trial; to Circuit Court within 10 days.
- Special Provisions: Equitable relief limited to restraining orders. No jury trial. No formal pleadings required.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.