- Statues: Oregon Annotated Statutes, Title 5, Ch. 46, Sections 405-570; Title 6, Ch. 55, Sections 011-140.
- Dollar Limit: $7,500.
- Where to Sue: Where defendant resides or where injury occurred. In contract suits, where performance expected.
- Service: Certified mail with return receipt, sheriff, constable or court-approved adult.
- Hearing Date: Set by court.
- Attorneys: Not allowed unless court consents.
- Transfer: If defendant counterclaims for more than $7,500, or defendants claim is greater than $750 and s/he requests jury trial, case goes to Circuit Court.
- Appeals: By defendant (or plaintiff that counterclaims) for new trial; to Circuit Court within ten days.
- Special Provisions: Defendant must answer within 14 days. Cases may be referred to mediation or arbitration. No class actions.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.