Ohio Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Ohio Revised Code Annotated Title 19, Ch. 1925, Sections 1-18; Ohio Rules of Civil Procedure.
- Dollar Limit: $3,000.
- Where To Sue: Where defendant resides, has a place of business or where breach or injury occurred. If defendant is nonresident, where plaintiff resides. Corporation resides where it has principal place of business or an agent.
- Service: Certified or express mail by clerk; return receipt required. Personal service available; plaintiff must file written request with clerk, who will deliver paperwork to sheriff for personal service.
- Hearing Date: Within 40 days of filing of complaint.
- Attorneys: Allowed. A corporation may proceed through an officer or employee, but may not cross-examine, argue or advocate except through attorney.
- Transfer: If either side requests, if defendant counterclaims for more than $3,000 or at courts discretion, case tried under regular civil procedure of appropriate court.
- Appeals: By either side for review of law, not facts; to Court of Appeals within 30 days.
- Special Provisions: No equitable relief. No jury trial. No discovery. No libel or slander cases. Right to sue may not be transferred. Court may order arbitration.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.