- Statues: New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated; Title LI, Ch. 503, Sections 1-11. Rules of District and Municipal Court, Rules 4.1 through .28, 1.11.
- Dollar Limit: $5,000.
- Where To Sue: Where plaintiff or defendant resides. If defendant is nonresident, where defendant conducts business, owns land, or where injury/breach occurred.
- Service: First class mail sent by court; if that fails, personal service by sheriff.
- Hearing Date: At least 14 days from service.
- Attorneys: Allowed.
- Transfer: If defendant requests jury trial (allowed in any claim exceeding $1,500), case transferred to superior court.
- Appeals: By either side for review of law, not facts; to Supreme Court within 30 days.
- Special Provisions: No real estate cases. Defendant must answer within 30 days of service or lose by default. Failure to appear will result in loss by default.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.