Michigan Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Michigan Compiled Laws, Ch. 600, Subchapter 84, Sections 8401-8427.
- Dollar Limit: $3,000.
- Where to Sue: Where defendant resides or where breach or injury occurred. If suing local government entity, suit must be brought in location of that entity.
- Service: Personal service. Certified mail with return receipt; mail service must be made by clerk.
- Hearing Date: 15-45 days from service.
- Attorneys: Not allowed.
- Transfer: If either side requests or defendant counterclaims for more than $3,000, case tried under regular civil procedure of court. Either party may, before trial, transfer to general civil division or require that District Court judge hear the case.
- Appeals: If trial was before district court magistrate, either side may appeal for new trial to small claims division of the District Court within 7 days. Otherwise, not allowed.
- Special Provisions: No equitable relief. Right to sue may not be transferred. No libel or slander, intentional torts or fraud cases. No jury trial. Plaintiff may not file more than five claims in one week. Court may refer cases to mediation or arbitration.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.
At ConsumerAffairs we love to hear from both consumers and brands; please never hesitate to Contact Us.
Advertisements on this site are placed and controlled by outside advertising networks. ConsumerAffairs.com does not evaluate or endorse the products and services advertised. See the FAQ for more information.
The information on our website is general in nature and is not intended as a substitute for competent legal advice. ConsumerAffairs.com makes no representation as to the accuracy of the information herein provided and assumes no liability for any damages or loss arising from the use thereof.
Copyright © 2018 Consumers Unified LLC. All Rights Reserved. The contents of this site may not be republished, reprinted, rewritten or recirculated without written permission.