Illinois Small Claims Court Information
- Statues: Illinois Supreme Court Rules, No. 281-289.
- Dollar Limit: $10,000.
- Where To Sue: Where defendant resides or injury occurred.
- Service: Personal service. Certified or registered mail with return receipt, by clerk for fee of $2.00.
- Hearing Date: Between 14 and 40 days after summons issued.
- Attorneys: Allowed; required for corporations.
- Transfer: If claim or counterclaim is over $10,000.
- Appeals: By either side for review of law, not facts, within 30 days.
- Special Provisions: Jury trial available at request of either party. No discovery. Court may order installment payments. Court may order arbitration.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.