Alabama Small Claims Court Information
- Governing Statutes: Code of Alabama, Title 12, Ch. 12, Sections 31, 36, 70- 71; Alabama Rules of Courts; Small Claims Rules.
- Dollar Limit: $3,000.
- Where to sue: Where defendant resides, or injury or property damage occurred. Corporation resides where it does business.
- Service: Certified mail with return receipt; personal service by sheriff or court-approved adult.
- Hearing Date: Set by court.
- Attorneys: Allowed; required for assignees (collection agencies).
- Transfer: No provision.
- Appeals: By either side for new trial; to Circuit Court within 14 days.
- Special Provisions: Equitable relief available. Defendant must answer within 14 days or lose by default. No eviction cases.
Note: This section outlines the special rules that apply to the small claims courts of all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Filing fees are not listed because they vary greatly and change frequently. Because court rules may change at any time, always check with the clerk of the small claims court to verify the accuracy of the information given for your state.