Sample Demand Letter When Rebate Is Not Received

City, State, Zip

RE: Failure To Receive Rebate by Offer Date

(Date)

To Whom It May Concern:

I purchased a (product details), on (date) at (store) in (city and state). My decision to purchase this product was based upon your offer of a mail-in rebate of $_____ ("offer"). My purchase of the product constituted my acceptance ("acceptance") of your offer, creating a binding and enforceable contract between us.

I have performed my obligations under the contract. I paid the full purchase price and then proceeded to fill in the rebate form provided by you. I included all information requested to process my rebate, but to date I have not received a check in the amount of $____.

I respectfully request you process payment and mail it to me at the address indicated within 30 days. I have re-attached all information originally sent for your convenience.

If I do not receive payment in full by (date 30 days from mailing), I will begin legal proceedings against you and will file complaint reports with the Federal Trade Commission, the Attorneys General of the states of (your state) and (the company's state), as well as selected consumer advocacy publications and local and state consumer affairs departments.

I am sending copies of this letter to these agencies and organizations to encourage your compliance. I am also filing a report with ConsumerAffairs.com for inclusion on their Web site.

Thank you for your prompt attention and resolution of this matter.

Sincerely,

(signature)

(Your name typed)

cc:

Federal Trade Commission
6th & Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

Hon. (name of Attorney General)
Attorney General, State of (state)
(address)

Hon. (name of Attorney General)
Attorney General, State of (state)
(address)

ConsumerAffairs.com
11400 West Olympic Boulevard, Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Important Notes

Be sure to keep a copy of your demand letter. If the company does not respond, you will want to send the entire file, including the demand letter, to the FTC and the other agencies.

You can find state Attorneys General and other consumer protection officials in our Consumer Protection Directory.

More on this topic ...
Rebate: Discount or Lotto Ticket?
Where to Complain