Before you get there, ask what the consultation fee is, and how long the consultation can last. Some lawyers offer free consultations -- and you should be sure to ask for this when making your initial appointment.
On site or by phone, ask lots of questions:
- Have you handled cases like mine before? How many? Do you have any similar cases now?
- Are you familiar with alternative forms of dispute resolution (mediation, arbitration, etc.) An attorney with several options for handling a situation can be more creative and cost-effective.
- Can you estimate how long this might take?
- How much is this likely to cost and what will be included ?
- How often does your firm bill?
- When can I expect you to contact me? Do I need to call/e-mail to check up on things?
- Would you give me a reference or two?