Toshiba Computers

3.9/5 (684 ratings)
Shop Now on Amazon

About Toshiba Computers

Toshiba Computers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba Computers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro computer. Within 6 months, the drive failed. This was a work purchased machine. But since I was based abroad (Singapore), I had to handle this contact with Toshiba locally. They didn't have the correct warranty information and so incorrectly charged me an inspection fee. The repair dragged on for more than 5 weeks and the system was not correctly functioning at that time. I changed jobs at that time so then the machine was left for my old employer to fix. They took the old hard disk back without any care for the fact that confidential data was on the disk. It was as if they owned my data.

The support, although very kind and polite, was hampered by slow and unresponsive support, e.g., 10 days to send a physical disk from Europe with recovery information on it. I also bought a dock (Dynadock) to connect my peripherals. The video on the dock is poor on performance. The refresh rate is slow and I certainly cannot watch video on the screen. The un-dock function does not work. The video does not turn off. I do not know what the undock feature does. The software update is not updated. I had to manually search for the latest drivers from one of their suppliers to get the video to actually operate on my new (Lenovo) computer. There are other drivers and I doubt they are updated correctly, despite me having downloaded the latest drivers from Toshiba.

I have a LCD 37" flat screen TV. It had problems within 2 years. The power board and control board failed. I’m massively disappointed with a company who I previously was satisfied with. As you can see, I've bought a range of Toshiba gears.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba laptop 3 months ago from **. The screen cracked when I barely touched it, and Toshiba tells me that it is physical damage, and that is not covered by the warranty. It shouldn't be considered physical damage, unless something physical is done to it. I guess I bought a disposable laptop for over $300. I will never purchase a Toshiba or from Wal-Mart again! The computer should be replaced.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2011

I replaced my very old QosmiG35 with a new Satellite L775 only 3 months ago. I bought it at BrandsMart in Miami. That was a huge mistake. This Satellite crashes almost 5 times a day for no reason at all. It just goes blank. In addition to that, the touching pad and the cursor activator are very inconveniently located. Way much to the left. I am not left handed! I really miss my old Qosmio, even older by far was a very superior machine. My Satellite is in full warranty. I even purchased a 2 year extension. Is it possible that I could trade it for a Qosmio? If that is not possible, how I go about to send the Satellite for repairs or replacement? Can you help me?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2011

The computer that I purchased from Toshiba on 8/9/11 for college began to malfunction at the end of September. I sent the computer to the Toshiba Repair Depot with the notice that the computer was not booting up. I also noted that there were display issues that presented themselves as discolored pixels and warped colors on the screen. After receiving the computer from the repair depot, it presented the same issues within a week. Upon contacting customer service, I was told that I could either send the computer in for repairs a second time, or I could file a complaint against the Repair Depot.

I chose the latter. And upon speaking to a case manager, I found that receiving a new computer was not an option nor was a full refund, even though I have a standard one year limited warranty. The case manager, Chad, refused to let me discuss my case with a supervisor, stating that it was against company policy. He would not discuss further options to rectify the situation. My only option was to send the same faulty computer in for a second time or to pay for out of pocket repairs by an authorized dealer. I have sent my computer out for repairs again, with no further communication with Toshiba.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba A665 laptop on 8/8/10. After a couple of months the screen became blank and I thought I had a virus. I didn't do anything with it until the time of my birthday when my boyfriend said he would have it repaired for my birthday. We took it back to Best Buy and it was sent to have repairs under the warranty. Toshiba replaced the motherboard, it wasn't a virus after all. I got my computer back on or about 8/18/11 and everything worked fine until 10/25/11 when the exact same thing started happening again.

I contacted Toshiba and they said they couldn't fixed the problem without me paying for it, warranty on repairs are only for 30 days. If the same thing has occurred again within a 2 month period, I believe that it is a defect in the computer itself and should be repaired at no cost to me for the defect. I have read what other people have posted on here and other websites and found that there are many people with same problem. Toshiba CS basically told me that they don't recognize the problem and it serves their best interest not to fixed my computer with me paying for it. I didn't pay over a $1000 for something I have to have repaired for the same thing over and over again.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2011

The second hard drive failure in 2 months time. Turn around for first repair is 3-4 weeks. Second repair has better turn around (2 weeks), but they shipped the computer to the wrong address. We'll see how long this repair lasts once it is shipped to the correct address. I would buy something other than a Toshiba.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2011

I brought a Toshiba laptop and I didn't use it that much. But as soon as I started using it, the screen messed up, so I sent it in to see what the problem was. They said the LCD was damaged and to my surprise, the three year warranty I purchased doesn't cover it. They expect me to pay over three hundred dollars to have it repaired. A brand new laptop, they should have to pay for the repairs not me.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2011

I recently purchased a Toshiba laptop. It crashed within a week. They replaced the motherboard for the laptop. After a month of this replacement, the hard disk crashed and I lost all my data. And again after 3 weeks the system crashed and this time I sent it to their technicians in Toronto. I receive the computer after 3 weeks and again it crashed today. It is refusing to boot up.

I have hardly used this computer and I think I wasted my hard earned money on this junk. I am still waiting for a replacement of a new computer since I think that there is a serious issue with this computer that was provided to me.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2011

I purchased a new Toshiba Satellite laptop approximately 3 months ago. I have always liked Toshiba. I owned another Satellite computer for many years and I never experienced any negative issues with it. It is only now that I am having problems. Anyway, I am the mother of five children with another on the way. I have returned to school to further my degree and used student loans to pay for my laptop. Within the first month of using it, I began to have problems with the keyboard. I would hit a key and the letter would not show up and when I would try to type a paper, the letters would show up delayed.

I also noticed that when Windows would pop up I would get a couple lines on my screen and hear a static sound. Two of my keys had also popped off but were not broken. I was able to put them back on. I contacted Toshiba to complain about the keyboard. I did not complain about the other issues at that time because I seemed to be the only one that noticed them. When I asked others including my husband, they could not see or hear what I was talking about. Anyway, the technician on the phone told me that the keyboard would probably need to be replaced and it would be covered under the warranty.

Then I mentioned how I couldn't believe this happened so early on and that even two of my keys popped off. Then he told me that if the keys popped off, the keyboard would not be covered under the warranty. I tried to explain they were not broken, but he kept referring to them as such. I decided to hang up and forget about it because I was getting nowhere. I still continued to have keyboard problems and also noticed the computer was beginning to get excessively hot. I was also having issues with the ac adapter connection in the computer and the cord along with the occasional lines on the screen.

About two weeks ago, I was in the middle of school work when I got a huge white block across the top of my screen and within seconds my entire screen was full of lines and a large black blotch in the top left hand of the screen. It looked to me like the LCD ruptured. Of course, I contacted Toshiba get a repair order started and have the shipping box sent to me. I pack it up and my husband takes it directly to FedEx. There are two people in front of him, both shipping their Toshiba laptops to the same location as mine. The person at the counter even made a comment. About three days after they received my laptop, I got the news of what they say was wrong with the laptop. My hard drive was bad and the LCD screen is broken. They replaced the hard drive, but the screen was $308.00 because it is not covered.

I sent an email back asking how could that possibly happen when that laptop has never left my sight, has not been dropped, or stepped on. I also asked them if they found out what was wrong with the keyboard and the USB port that was not working. I told them that the repair would have to wait until next week when my husband got paid because I did not have the money right now and I should not have to pay for this anyway. I received an email today stating that the hard drive was replaced, the power cord was replaced because there was no power in it, they replaced a component within the keyboard, did not find anything wrong with the USB port, and the LCD was broken. They shipped it back stating I was refusing to pay for the uncovered repair on the screen.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2011

I was stonewalled by Toshiba's tech support, and stonewalled by the escalated "PR" person--and truly stonewalled by the "PR" person's manager, who "does not take calls." I posted the complaint below here, and on several other sites. What do you know? But don't I get the sweetest, most cloying voice mail from a Toshiba person wanting to see if they can "make things right" with my Better Business complaint?

Well, it's a day late to help me out. They had their chance during the hours that I spent on the phone with their front line personnel. I have already returned their defective laptop (for the second time), and the final time, taken the cash and bought a competitor's PC. And, unlike the Toshiba, this PC prompts you to make the backup CD's automatically, before you have a problem.

And, unlike the Toshiba backup CD creator program, this PC actually runs a verify process after each CD has been created to ensure it made a good readable CD. Before you need it, run it, completely erase the hard drive, and then discover one of the necessary CD's is unreadable. Bottom line: stay away from Toshiba.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

I bought a Satellite laptop. It is made of a set of recovery DVDs through the program provided to do so. The process went seemingly perfectly. I had a serious problem on the laptop that called for a restore to fix, and it proceeded through disk 1, asked for disk 2, but disk 2 was blank. The Toshiba program failed to write anything on disk 2, but acted as if it had, leaving me with an incomplete recovery set. It is now formatted and useless hard drive.

I called their support and I was directed to a hidden and protected partition that has the recovery process that can be launched, and it seemed to work. But, no! It wanted disk 2 even though it was running from the hard drive. So their "recovery" program was defective from the get-go.

They are willing to have me ship it back for warranty repairs, but I need this PC and can't wait the indeterminate amount of time it will be gone for. I asked for a set of recovery DVDs to be sent to me instead. They will ship them to me for $24.00 plus freight costs. They will not budge on this, and their PR rep says her supervisor "does not take phone calls".

Well, I won't buy Toshiba junk anymore. I am returning this PC to the retailer for a refund and will never buy another Toshiba product ever again! All this customer ill will for $24.00.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2011

I have a Toshiba laptop, model Satellite L655-15X, and serial number **. The date of purchase was December 9, 2010. Since three months, the laptop fan speed increased and failed to shut down. The laptop was given for repair to the Toshiba service center at Riyadh as working condition, with the mentioned fault, on September 10, 2011, and the laptop was rejected as dead condition.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

They are the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. While trying to get technical support for my Toshiba laptop, I was told to wait for a call back from a more advanced technical support. I had to call back a couple of days later and was disconnected right after giving them my information. That happened 3 times. After fixing the computer on my own, I tried to get my $35 technical support fee back. Good luck! There is absolutely no effort to try to make the customer feel like they are a priority, and they don't care!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

I bought my Toshiba laptop on August 11th at Wal-Mart. It wasn't the most expensive laptop, but it suited my needs as a student. When I took it out of the box, the computer felt cheap right away. It was so flimsy and poorly made. And I noticed the plastic border edges of the screen were not fully attached to the screen. I knew it was an issue. But class was starting and I just didn't have the time to take it back. Well, after a month of using the computer, the right hinge broke. I didn't drop it at all. It just broke. It took me awhile to contact Toshiba because of school, but I eventually did a few weeks ago. They charged me $24.95 for shipping! It took a week for the laptop to "arrive" at the repair depot, and two days to repair it, then 5 business days to get back to me. I just got the computer back today. Nothing has been fixed despite the little sheet they included of what had been fixed. The computer also has dirt on the bottom and edges! I'm very dissatisfied with Toshiba.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2011

I have a Toshiba Satellite L450136 laptop. I purchased this laptop on November 2010. The left mouse has been repaired, and now, October 2011, the screen is blank with nothing working at all. I have been told that the motherboard is not working. Toshiba do not want to know. This laptop is for a 12 year old boy for school. How can he do his homework? I cannot afford another laptop. He is brokenhearted.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

I bought a Satellite A660 at the end of April. Within three weeks the hard drive failed beyond repair. After months of trying to get a refund, hours on the phone, and being treated horribly including being told that a supervisor refuses to take my call, I relented on the refund and opted to have the computer repaired. It is now October 19th and I just got the laptop back. Now, right out of the box, the keyboard is malfunctioning and I'm again being told I need to send it in for repair. How is this even possible?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2011

I purchased a Qosmio X505 in December 2009. The computer starts to reset itself since March 2011. I sent it to Toshiba's authorized repair center. After 7 months, they couldn’t get my computer back to work, because the motherboard is not available. I placed others in National Parts as Toshiba told me. But they said that they no longer have it as Toshiba put that part in obsolete state.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2011

I purchased my laptop 22 months ago and it failed completely. I have now learned that there has been a problem with the motherboard with this particular model (l500) worldwide and it's difficult to get a replacement motherboard. Why do we have to pay for faulty equipment worldwide, surely when it's a very common problem with a specific model? We should have the repairs done free of charge or have a replacement laptop.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

In 2009, I purchased a Toshiba Netbook computer model NB205-N211, for my daughter. For the past year, the machine has had problems booting. It does nothing except the power light comes on, the hard drive starts for about 3 seconds and then it sits there. My daughter discovered that letting it 'cool down' by removing the battery and unplugging it worked but she never told me about it until recently. The machine may have still been under warranty when it first failed to boot. I researched the problem and found forums with hundreds of people complaining about the exact problem. The most popular solution was to put the computer in the refrigerator for a while. That was the last thing I tried because I know that is not a good thing to do to a computer but after trying other things I gave up and put it in front of an air conditioner.

In less than 5 minutes the computer booted. This was after trying for several days with no luck. It seems to stay running as long as it is not powered down again. I work with computer problems daily, professionally, so I have some understanding of these kinds of issues. I am convinced that there is a problem with the system board. I called Toshiba and they will not acknowledge the extent of the problem. Instead, they told me to do a System Recovery. All this will do is erase all of my data and restore the software back to its original state. A total waste of time. They also gave me this advice knowing that the computer would not boot. A system board replacement will probably cost over $200. I can tell that the Toshiba support rep, Laurie **, that I spoke to on Oct 12 was reading from a script. They are trained very well to deny any knowledge of problems with their computers and then give totally crummy advice and try to sell you something else like repair service. This computer cost about $330 so spending $200 to fix it makes no sense to me.

I also have another Toshiba Satellite Laptop Model M305D that has recently failed with a bad system board. Toshiba told me that the hard drive was bad so I purchased one but that was not the problem. That computer is also less that 3 years old. So I have 2 Toshiba computers now that have major problems that started after only 2 years of use. Toshiba should own up to these engineering defects and offer a replacement or free repair. The time I have spent on these 2 computers I will never recover. But I learned a valuable lesson and that is never to buy Toshiba again.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2011

On February 28, 2011, I purchased a new Toshiba Satellite L655-S5155 laptop. About two months ago, my CD/DVD burner quit working. It still has power to it, but the motor has burnt up and will no longer spin the disc. I have called several times; I spoke to a supervisor and a case manager, with NOTHING but the runaround. I cannot go without my laptop for a month or more; shipping it in, and waiting for it to be fixed and shipped back. I work on computers and small electronics for a living. I asked if they could send me the part, let me install it and ship the old one back to them. They replied, "That’s not within our policy sir. I am sorry, but that cannot happen". I asked, “Well, how about letting me take it to a repair center?” They gave me the only two numbers within 75 miles. I called both places.

Both repair centers told me that, "Toshiba changed their policies, and they can no longer work on satellite computers, only Satellite Pro's and above". So, I called back and spoke to the case manager again! I reminded her that she has a job because of me, the consumer, and they should worry more about accommodating the customer instead of making ridiculous policies. I still got the same ** (for the lack of a better term). So, here is what I have decided to do. I am buying the part on my own, and I am mailing you along with the BBB, plus anyone in the market for a new computer will know about this. Trust me. A lot of people ask for my input on computers. So, I figure this will at least cost them $40,000 in lost revenue. So, I hope that $40.00 part was worth it Toshiba. Enjoy!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2011

While deployed to Iraq, I bought a Toshiba laptop which I now gravely regret to have done. Anyway, recently my wireless chip quit on me, and I was only able to connect to the internet using an ethernet wire. I called Toshiba customer support and gave the representative a detailed report of the issue I was facing. I explained to the representative that I was only trying to obtain information in order to purchase the wireless chip which I need in order to connect to the internet by wireless means. He stated we needed to perform some troubleshooting steps in order to see what the issue was with the computer. This is after I told him numerous times what the issue was.

After I performed the initial troubleshooting steps he gave me, the issue still was not resolved. And he stated that in order to troubleshoot the laptop further, it will be a $35.00 fee. Once again, I told him I just needed the correct information in order to replace the chip to fix the issue I was having in trying to connect to the internet. He stated I will have to pay $35.00 dollars in order for him to assist me any further. I then asked him approximately four times if he can guarantee me when I am charged $35.00 that my issue will be resolved. He stated yes. After hearing this, I agreed to pay $35.00 in order for the representative to further assist me. He then instructed me to back up my laptop to an external hard drive, for which he gave me step-by-step instructions on how to it.

After I was finished backing up the computer, once again, I called the company for further instructions. The representative on the phone asked me, "Now that your laptop has been restored to the factory settings, does your wireless switch work?" I informed the representative I am still having the same issues I initially called about, and he told me the wireless chip needs to be replaced. I told the representative that's what I initially stated when I first called, and his only reply was "I will have to transfer you to the out-of-warranty support section," so I can obtain instructions on where to send my laptop in order for it to be repaired. I then asked the representative if they can now assist me in restoring the information on the external hard drive back onto the laptop, and he stated they are not trained on how to do that. I told the representative that makes no sense at all, and asked, "How are you able to instruct a customer on how to do something but is unable to fix it?" Once again, he gave me his rehearsed line of "we are not trained on how to restore backed up information to a laptop or computer." I asked the representative to transfer me to the customer complaint department, but the department was closed.

The following business day, I called the customer complaint department, and after explaining the issue I was having to numerous representatives, my call was bounced around between the customer complaint department and tech support. To this day, my laptop still has the issue I initially called the company about, and my backed up information is on an external hard drive.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2011

Too bad, I cannot choose zero as rating choice. I will never buy another computer or any other appliance from Toshiba again. In more than 30 years, I have owned computers made by Apple, Dell, HP, and Toshiba, and Toshiba by far is the worst. I purchased an L505, a little over a year ago and have had nothing but problems with it since. The inability to connect to an internal network drive is one of the many things wrong with it, and the fact that while typing on the laptop's keyboard often will end up deleting your file irretrievably is another. The keyboard and cursor pad have minds of their own. However, the fact that I am unable to use a wireless connection other than my home makes having a laptop pointless.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2011

This is my worst customer experience in a long time.

I sent my laptop in to be repaired because I spilled some water on it. It was my fault, so I paid for the replacement of motherboard and RAM and actually believed that it would be 5 to 10 business days for me to get the computer back. It has now been three weeks under repair, and there is no ETA on ordered parts (this is a Toshiba depot, is it impossible to have standard parts in stock?), and the customer support center and the depot has been shuttling me back and forth. They actually had the gall to blame the delay on 'physical damage' to the laptop (yeah, that's why I sent it in for repair!). No attempt to take responsibility for dropping the ball - pathetic.

When did this become acceptable?

Lesson: don't buy Toshiba, or forget the warranty - assume if it breaks, you'll just replace it, or make sure warranty covers 3rd party service to avoid this depot nightmare.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2011

The motherboard was found faulty resulting to loss in battery backup and inability to boot the system. The fault was observed after the expiry of warranty period (within two years). I need to understand why a customer has to pay another Rs 15,000 to get the original motherboard though he had paid a net of Rs 41,000 at the time of purchase. I need the explanation from Toshiba why the money I paid at the time of purchase has no value. I do not want to make any claim but at least Toshiba should make a survey of their product and check out if the product is worth giving the service to customer. Product is model number PSMC3L -02600H Satellite - M200 with serial number 87130964Q.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2011

On 6/I4/2011, I went to Micro Center to purchase an Acer laptop (as I had an Acer previously) but was talked into a refurbished Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5130, because it had a "better processor" (my mistake is trusting the salesperson at Micro Center, but that is another story). Total cost with service plan was $329.98. It came with a limited 90-day warranty.

89 or 90 days after my purchase, the screen didn't work on 1/2 of the screen and looked like there was a leaf inside the screen. I went to Micro Center the same day to see if they are an authorized repair center. Yes, they are, but they said Toshiba won't cover the cracked screen. That is upsetting, of course.

I went home and called Toshiba. I don't know the name of the person, but they seemed to have an Indian (the country) accent. I am assuming they outsource their call center. They said they will not cover it, because I accidentally damaged it (huh? really? If I dropped it and the screen was cracked, I wouldn't be calling you). I then talked to the supervisor (also with an Indian accent). I try to tell them I did not drop it, kick it, step on it, or give it to someone else to use (the first customer rep seem to insinuate that I gave it to someone else). I also tried to explain that a product, like a screen, should not break under normal use within the first 90 days of purchase. For example, picking up and setting down a laptop and opening and closing the cover/lid should not damage the screen. This was to no avail. I was pretty upset at the end of the call and felt screwed over (I told the 2nd rep that).

I found out a replacement screen is at least $350 on Toshiba's website. Yikes! However, I was able to take the computer apart and found a new screen on eBay for $68. I ended up putting the screen in with the help of a tech-savvy friend. I then wrote Toshiba a 9/22/11 letter. For your information, it has some repetitive info in it. I received a call on 10/2/11 from Marisa in the "Escalation Department" (interesting name). We spoke on 10/4, and she just said the same thing. My steam had run out, so I just told her thanks for the call, although I cannot do business with Toshiba again.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2011

I am just reading all the complaints that people have posted concerning Toshiba netbooks. I have a N305 that is just out of warranty and prior to my $400 dollar investment, I wish that I had investigated the complaints and disrespect that the company is receiving.

Online, people were praising the low cost of netbooks, saying that you can't go wrong and worst comes to worst, and they are disposable, so replacement is the way to go. That is **! I'm sure with the world in the shape it is in, cannot simply make an "inexpensive purchase" like this, each year. What's more this company makes the repair of my FL inverter not practicable, by attaching it to the screen doubling the cost of replacement cost, ($100) expect me to pay them up to $160 for repairing the defective part and further insulting me by charging $40 to the bill for shipping. Cost not to exceed $390 for a computer that retailed at $400.

They should be made accountable for their manufacturing or not put a product, like this out on the market. I invite anyone who reads this to contact me and investigate starting a class action law suit to bring an end to what seems to be a trend in manufacturing industry practices, these days. People have been known to win a lawsuit after signing a release from injury, when they are injured and I like many consumers feel injured, because as I told them at Toshiba, technology should be the only thing that makes their product obsolete and not due to the quality of their workmanship or manufacturing defects.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba laptop from Best Buy in Warwick, RI in April of this year. Also, I bought a Geek Squad Protection. The Best Buy employees set my computer up, but they never informed me of a recovery disk. So 1 month later, when my computer stopped working because of a faulty hard drive, that was when I learned that I needed a recovery disk. My computer was sent out and returned 1 month later.

I traveled a lot and I was also in the process of relocating. So in early September, when I settled in Atlanta, GA, I contacted Toshiba to order my recovery disk. Amazingly, the $24.00 price that I was quoted a week earlier had risen by $10.00. I was informed that my disk would arrive in 3-5 days and my $34.00 was for the shipping and handling.

Five days went by, but still no disk. I called and inquired about it. I was told that I was misinformed and that it was actually 6-8 days. So when 10 days went by (all of these were business days), I called them but I was told, again, that I was misinformed and that my $34.00 was for the right to use the disk. It was not for the shipping and handling.

So today, which is 13 days into my ordeal, my disk finally arrived. I plugged it into my computer, but nothing happened. I called technical support and after 5 minutes of trying things, I found out that they only sent me half of what I needed. I called the "personal number" of Brenda in customer relations. I talked to a person named Chad. I told Chad about my ordeal and asked if Toshiba would be willing to send the missing part overnight considering that they have failed me several times already. He told me that it was not possible. I then asked what my chances are for a refund considering once again the failure to fulfill job duties. He told me that it was also not possible. I then asked to speak with a supervisor but I was told that I cannot. That was a lie. So then I asked when my order will be shipped. He said, "I don't know. There are orders in front of it." I asked if he can bump it up since their failure should not be my fault, but he declined. I asked again for his supervisor but he said no. I then called the corporate office to file a complaint. The person whom I spoke with there told me that I have been overcharged and that he would direct my call. That led me to the escalation department, which I was asked to leave a message and I would be contacted within 24 hours.

The lack of compassion for a customer from both Best Buy and Toshiba for their failure to meet customer needs amazed me. When did mediocrity become acceptable in this country? I will never again use Best Buy or Toshiba. If I did not pay $1,000.00 back in April, I would throw the computer out the window.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2011

My mother purchased a Toshiba satellite laptop for me as a gift on 4-21-11. The Hard Disk Drive (HDD) crashed around 9-03-11 and the toggle button for the mouse stopped working. I returned it to Best Buy (not easy considering I'm still recovering from back surgery) and they serviced it. They claimed that it is just a software issue. It still runs excessively hot, so I know it's the HDD regardless of any software issues. I've spoken to both the general store and the geek squad supervisors. The former said they would speak to the tech supervisor and return my call, which she never did. The latter was not kind to me at first and then, he basically denied what he said.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2011

Early December 2010, I purchased a 12" Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop at Best Buy in Albuquerque for $600.00. The computer was "bad" right from the box. In Dec. 2010, I drove three round-trips at 5 1/2 hr driving time per trip (yes, I live way out in the boonies and drive to town once a week). The computer finally malfunctioned for a sales associate. It was promptly replaced with another new Toshiba, still in the box. In Feb. 2011, the laptop was only three months old when it quit. It was mailed back to the manufacturer for a new processor. Upon its return from the manufacturer, it sat at the Best Buy store while I was out-of-state for 2 months. I notified Best Buy by phone that I would be unavailable to pick up the machine. I gave a date by which I would return and drive to Albuquerque to pick up the machine. They said, "Okay, no problem."

In April 2011, I picked up my 5-month-old computer. The battery was shorted out internally and would not accept any electrical charge. I went back to Best Buy. I put a request for "new" battery on my credit card, to be reimbursed when the "now old" battery was returned to the manufacturer. Now, my 8-month-old machine will no longer play DVDs. Toshiba claims that the warranty period applies from date of purchase of the 1st, "original" computer, even though it had been replaced by another new computer and then by a new processor. But the id number is different!

In actuality, even if that were their method of determining a warranty period, the first, "original", computer is not yet one-year old. And as defined by their warranty period system, it would still be under warranty. However, Toshiba refuses to honor, inspect, or even consider replacing or working on the machine. This business ethic would never be allowed in U.S. of A. So, how do they get away with it? Needless to say, I shall speak widely of my unsatisfactory treatment by Toshiba, my monetary loss, time loss, out-of-pocket expenses, and the many telephone calls with interminable periods on hold, and then sometimes getting disconnected/dropped. But then, I do have a wonderful, dependable, affordable Dell computer that I had to purchase while the Toshiba was either inactive or was "away".

Original review: Sept. 22, 2011

When I sold computers many years ago, I noticed Toshiba's almost never were returned. I have a 2007 M65-9093 and a new satellite P770D with MS7 that I'm just getting used to. I am keeping my comments focused on Toshiba. There are at least some quality indicators that should always be observed.

The 2nd video output has now way to screw in the video output, which tells me that this is a cheap construction. Also, no rear ports, which are all placed on the sides. The volume control beeps and I can't silence it. I paid more than $1000 for this and it's ok. But not being able to screw down the second monitor means cheaper construction. I wonder if I should expect to find other shortcuts.

Toshiba Computers Company Information