Toshiba Computers

3.9/5 (684 ratings)
Shop Now on Amazon

About Toshiba Computers

Toshiba Computers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba Computers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2011

After 10 months of complaints, I returned my computer for repair near the end of the warranty. They returned my computer after replacing the fan and convinced me that I had software issues. I recently realized that they did not even look at the other problems that I told them about. My computer is still having them and have gotten worse. Toshiba admits that my computer has had hardware issues but won't take any responsibility for their previous misdiagnosis and lack of repair.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2011

I have owned Toshiba's before and never had a problem. Since I have bough this computer, I have had nothing but trouble. I bought an extended warranty so I was covered two years. One week after it expired, the charging jack went out. Two weeks later, the motherboard went out. I'm really upset about this and am wondering if anything is going to be done. Thank you. Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2011

One of the usb ports does not work, so I contacted Toshiba because it's still under the warranty, I was not comfortable in shipping the computer to be repaired. Apparently, they were going to replace the hard drive with no reason, and if they determined that the laptop was misused, which didn't happen, I had to pay for the repairs, I sent a complaint with no answer I regret buying a Toshiba. I feel that I wasted my money specially on this time that we're struggling with the bad economy. They're not there for the customer. And my question is why this company allowed to rob the customers selling defective merchandise and not being sanctioned or force them to respond to the customers complaints that have in good faith believed that they were getting a good product?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2011

I am a 3rd stage ovarian cancer patient who in Sept. 2011 purchased at Toshiba satellite laptop from Best Buy in Oxnard, Ca. In less than three months with less than twenty hours of usage, my son had just started to charge it. Within 15 min. it shocked and burned him, and the top outer case was melted. He instantly unplugged it. Had he not been right there, it would have burned his house down. We decided to return it to Best Buy, but before we did, I looked up online for any reports of Toshiba satellite (# C655D-58209) laptops melting from overheating. I was amazed at the hundreds of complaints that had been filed from other consumers.

He returned it to Best Buy the next day and was told that he damaged it, and even though it was under warranty, there was nothing they could do! We will not be sending it back to Toshiba because they will not fix the problem, and in some cases, they are keeping the laptops. After the horror stories I have read from other consumers, I suggest that anyone that is considering buying a laptop, do not purchase a Toshiba product and to boycott Best Buy. Please check it out for yourselves online! I will be filing reports to the BBB, Consumer Affairs, Attorney Generals Office, US Fair Trade Commissions, Keyt News .I will be going online to warn others about this. I am also going to organize a site where people can get information on filing a Class Action Lawsuit against Toshiba and Best Buy for selling defective products. Anyone interested in getting this resolved please contact me.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2011

I had purchased a TOSHIBA LAPTOP (Model C650-D 5010 S. No 5A053859Q) from a reputed computer dealer Landmark Infonet Pvt Limited Gurgaon on 10/11/10. Dealer showed me the catalog & convinced me to get One year International & 3 year Domestic Warranty for my laptop. Last week I had problems with my laptop so I contacted Toshiba customer care on 18002008674. He advised me to contact the service station in Intarvo Technology limited Shop no 12, 13, 14 First floor Ganpati complex old Delhi Gurgaon road, opposite Payal cinema Gurgaon, 122001.

The service center verified the system & asked the Toshiba office, he then refused to fix it because he said the system is not covering warranty for laptops more than one year. I show him the document & catalog as evidence but he told me I am helpless. Service center again advised me to contact the dealer. Today, I discussed with the dealer but he was also unable to do anything and did not give the reason and proper explanation. As per above statement, I was thinking I got cheated by either the dealer of Landmark Infonet Pvt limited or Toshiba company. Please suggest & help me on what do to next so I can get my laptop repaired under warranty case.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2011

My worst experience ever! They won't fix my 2 months old computer under warranty for free! They want me to buy some recovery CDs for $30in order to fix my computer, this after my hard disk crashed and losing all my data! For 2 days, I spent on the phone more than 10 hours! The worst tech and customer service ever! Several complaints were made. Don't ever buy Toshiba! Stay away!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2011

Toshiba has stole $293.36 of my money on 5-13-11! Help!

I purchased a 3-year on site extended warranty service plan on 5/13/11. I called on 12/5/11 to request tech support for my Portege r835-p50x laptop. I was told they only showed my one year original manufacturer warranty and I would have to mail the laptop to them. I explained to them my on site warranty purchase, gave them product serial number, product part number, and confirmation number of warranty purchase to no avail. They claim there was a glitch in their system and they would take care of activating the warranty purchase. Since my calls on 12-5-7, 12-7-11 and 12-14-11, there’s still no extended warranty in their system. Help!

They have had my money for 7 months. If I had not called them for tech help, I would never have known about this problem. I have spoken to two managers and several non-managers. I called several diff numbers and left negative online Toshiba survey response. I left message at media relations in California (no response). I left email message to Michael ** the manager (no response) and have asked for a corporate office number where someone actually answers and offers to help me but the last employee, Johnny, refused. I was even offered a refund by manager Laudens in Arizona but I refused it then.

Where can I get an extended warranty now after buying this laptop from Best Buy on 4-27-11 and the first 30 days to obtain an extended warranty has run out? I want an adjustment of my warranty for the 7 months it has not been validated or my warranty extended by 7 months or a total refund with interest from Toshiba. If President Sasoki (Chairman & Ceo of Toshiba) reads this, I hope he will call me to discuss. That is if he is still president. Toshiba deserves to be fined, black listed, penalized, etc., for this unacceptable treatment of me their customer.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2011

Replacements bulbs lasting only 8 months on my DLP projection TV (model # 65HM167; serial # 35119052). Is there a rebate on bulb replacement? I replaced 2 bulbs within 1 year and now the TV doesn't work at all, no picture, no sound. I bought the unit June 2, 2007. I understand there is a lawsuit on lamps and maybe on the set itself.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite laptop in February 2010. Up until a month ago, I had no complaints whatsoever, about the laptop. One day, I opened it up and turned it on, and the whole right side of the screen was white. I restarted the computer to see if it would fix the problem, but it didn't. Frantic, because I had a major project due that week, I rushed to the computer repair place in town, and the guy there tells me that the liquid crystal in the screen had gone bad. He further inspected the computer, and said that the screen was not cracked, and that he saw no signs of abuse, and that if the computer was less than a year old, then Toshiba would repair it under warranty.

I went back home and called the warranty center. I spent about an hour on the phone with some man in another country. I told him exactly what happened, and he informed me that Toshiba would repair it under warranty, no problem! In order for it to be repaired, I had to send it to the Toshiba Repair Depot in Kentucky. What the representative on the phone did not tell me is that, I would have to cover the cost of the shipping. Being a full-time student, with no job, and a single mother living with her parents, I did not have the extra money to pay $30 for a special box to ship it. I borrowed the money from my parents, which was not a big deal, because I would rather pay $30 for a box over $300 for a new screen any day. I waited for the box. When it finally came, I shipped it right away. As of today Toshiba has had my laptop for over 2 weeks.

I got a call this morning saying that the Depot cannot repair my computer, because the warranty does not cover the damage, and they will repair it for around $300. First of all, I bought the laptop at Sam's Club for $349. Why the heck would I pay $300 for a new screen, when I could buy a brand new laptop for just a few more dollars? Second, If the computer is not covered under warranty, why did the representative tell me that it was? Third, since they're not going to fix my computer, can I have my $30 back, so I can pay my parents back? This company makes great computers for a great price, but their customer service sucks big time! I will never, ever buy another Toshiba product, just because of this right here. I guess they can sell their computers so cheap, because they make up for it ** their customers out of money for repairs. What is a warranty for, if it serves no purpose? Is there anything I can do about this at all? I would appreciate some advice if anyone has any.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2011

I made the mistake of buying a Toshiba earlier in the year - An L775D and it has an issue due to a hardware defect where the clock runs about 78 minutes per hour. After six months, they have a fix for it. The only catch is that I have to pay $25 to buy their special shipping box and to ship it to them. What kind of company doesn't stand by their products and makes the customer responsible for significant defects?

In the Toshiba forum someone posted something that rings true. It is like buying a car that fails within a week and having the customer pay to have it towed back to the dealer. Better yet, the Toshiba person from the consumer affairs department tried to explain how charging shipping is for the customer's benefit since they are using the savings to upgrade their facility so they can fix more of their defective products.

I can either give Toshiba more money or have a laptop that doesn't keep correct time. I would recommend you not to buy a Toshiba laptop. If it is defective, you are responsible for the shipping costs.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2011

Regardless of the make or model of Toshiba laptop you possess, good luck getting any action out of Toshiba customer no-service. After a solid month of

dealing with them I have concluded that they have no intention of honoring their agreement, made that time I purchased my laptop to repair or replace my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L675 D, should it be defective. My screen started blinking and flashing less than one month after I purchased it.

After following Toshiba's instructions to do various things to address the situation, I started getting hard drive failure warnings, followed by the dreaded blue screen. At that point, I dutifully shipped off my laptop to the repair depot. After ten days turned into 3 weeks, I called to see why my machine was still in limbo. I was informed that they had put it on hold for parts. My subsequent phone inquiry elicited an excuse that a parts hold extends their repair time frame by 7 to 10 days.

The rep was actually counting off the days on his fingers. When he got to 10 and realized that his excuse no longer held water, he apologized and said that he would e-mail someone to find out what the delay was, and he would "call me back immediately". Ten days later, after nothing had changed, I called again. I was informed by a supervisor that my laptop was put on a new hold on December the 5th, and that there was no other remedy available to me. Basically, there's no-one else to talk to, and if I complain to Toshiba corporate or post on a board like this one, they could care less. I told him that he had lost a customer, and he basically kissed me off and hung up. Please take this under consideration when you consider purchasing any Toshiba product. I am going to. I would appreciate if any attorney handling class action lawsuits against Toshiba would contact me.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2011

I bought a Portege R705 a little over a year ago. In that time, my PC has been repaired three times. Each time, I told (and have documents proving it) them that my power cord was not working properly. Each time, Toshiba ignored it. I called them last month stating that my cord was almost completely out and I really needed them to replace it. They stated that I was now 1 month past my warranty so I had to buy one. I told them I had previously requested it and it should have been included in my warranty! This morning, my child was asleep in my bed.

I was charging my PC and went to move my computer to find that the cord was melting and smoking. It had melted on my bed and was in the process of melting into the port of my computer. When I called Toshiba, their response to me was, "Can you call back Monday? " Flippin' really? Well, I am sick of their poor customer service, their joke of a "case manager" and the fact that they do not stand behind their product or take something like this seriously!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2011

Toshiba classifies all mechanical component failures, mechanical bond failures, assembly failures, design failures, etc. as physical damage. If you buy one of their laptops and the DVD tray falls out two weeks after the purchase, they will tell you that the problem is "physical damage" and the customer is responsible for repair costs. I love the way they imply negligence upon the customer. If the casing of your computer starts coming apart eight months after purchase, it is also a "physical damage" issue. It is never a "physical failure" or "design weakness" issue. If your hinges freeze in position two weeks after purchase, you guessed it, "physical damage," not physical failure on behalf of Toshiba. You, the customer are negligent and guilty, and Toshiba does not even need to see the laptop unit to be able to determine these facts. Check their warranty and buy another brand.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2011

I had my Toshiba Satellite laptop for less than a year. It never worked correctly from the day I got it. I sent it in the first time to be fixed and explained it would not let me back up to disc or online or anything because it would overheat and shut down. Because of this, they would need to get the information off of hard drive. They totally ignored and wiped everything out. The computer came back with a lot of initial problems. Six months later, it crashed again. I called the representative, I told him that it was a lemon and that I wanted a new one.

I need them to try to get the data off my hard drive since I had now lost everything twice in less than a year. The representative promised me that he would put note in case file and told me to put the letter in with the computer. All was totally ignored. Toshiba didn’t even try to save anything once again. I have asked for my hard drive back so I could get a professional computer company to try to extract data and I have not heard from Toshiba.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2011

I purchased 2 laptops in on July 21, 2011. They both do not have the correct video cards in them. So, I contacted Toshiba and here is the story: The first technician did well and found the problem. "Sir, there is not an NVidia Video card in your system." And he then sent me to the sales department who sent me back to the technical support. The second technician would not listen, made me repeat the troubleshooting process, and then sent me to sales. I told her I would not have purchased a non-NVidia card. The reason I was buying these laptops was because of the NVidia video which is required to run the SolidWorks CAD software. She said that it was too late and sent me back to the technical support that insisted on repeating the process again and then I was sent to the sales representative who said that this is what I ordered. Funny! How they had the NVidia driver in there but not the card? 3 hours later, I gave up, never again.

I took a chance not buying Dell and a real chance on a Toshiba. It was a bad choice on my part. If they continue to treat customers this way, I doubt Toshiba will last another year in consumer products. Their team should have offered to correct or upgrade the 2 laptops I purchased. I easily would have paid the price but none of their personnel would even get me to a sales representative that could offer a solution. I actually bragged to a few colleagues on the laptops. Now, I feel silly. If they only knew how ready I was to buy their new Qosmio X770. Dell would have fixed my problem and probably sent a technician to my business location to do it. I am on a new mission to spread the word, "Toshiba is a disaster, don't buy anything from them, you will get burned!”

Original review: Dec. 5, 2011

I bought Toshiba satellite L505 from Jordan on 31/12/2010, and they didn't inform me about having to register online to activate international warranty. When I moved to Kuwait, my laptop was making loud noise sound while starting up and then the charger stopped working. When I went to Toshiba Service Center in Kuwait, they informed me that it's not registered for international warranty and I have to pay around US$100 for a new charger & to pay to solve the problem of sound which may be sound card or from a software.

I'm wondering why I need to register online for international warranty when I bought the laptop from a certified dealer. Also, why was I not instructed to register. Meanwhile,upon searching the internet, I found out that charger problem is very common. Does that mean bad service from the dealer or very bad Toshiba product?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite computer less than 1 year ago and I've sent it in 5 times! I filed a BBB complaint and the infamous Jennifer *** backed a claim from their repair department that my computer had water damage; only she didn't know that they had written me back and stated they made a mistake and my computer did not have water damage! I hate Toshiba; I'm screaming from the mountaintops to everyone I know never to buy one!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2011

I bought a Toshiba satellite computer in Atlanta, GA on January of this year. After about 2 months of usage, the computer died on me and I sent it for repair in one of the authorized Toshiba repair centers in Lima, Peru. They had my computer for over 30 days and they returned it to me indicating the HDD drive failed (something I guess that’s not uncommon but still they serviced my computer still under warranty).

Later, I moved to Brazil for work/studies and my computer experienced the same problem and died yet again. This time getting it serviced here was such a hassle and after long negotiations they had me send it to a computer shop in Sao Paulo. They have had my computer over 60 days in this place and still I'm not hearing from them what's going on. I called Toshiba US support as well as the Brazilian one many times over and they can't give me a reason why my computer is being delayed this long for repairs.

I have even asked for refund or credit towards other models of Toshiba, but they strongly refuse to do so indicating that is not covered under the warranty and that I have to wait for it to be returned to me no matter how long they take in doing so. So far I've had my computer working for 3 of the 10 months I owned it. The warranty is about to expire next January and for what I've seen in the Toshiba support forums, this problem with this Toshiba model is not uncommon and there are hundreds of comments in the matter.

Toshiba refuses to extend my warranty even after repairs are completed. And asking for a refund or exchange for a better working model is out of the question apparently.I need to know whether is possible to initiate legal actions against this abuse by them in forcing me to accept their defective product. I will appreciate your help in this matter.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2011

I called on November 19 after trying to restore the operating system on my daughter's Satellite. I was told that the warranty expired, but if I paid $35 I would have an extended warranty and the problem I described could be corrected over the phone. After taking me through processes that I already tried, I was told that the computer was corrupted and needed to be sent in. I would be pro-rated for the $35 that I had already paid.

I called back at 3:50 pm on November 25 to find out that I had no extended warranty because it was not available for my computer and that I would not receive a discount based on the money I had paid. I was lied to by the first tech support. The estimate for repairs I was given today is close to the price of the computer. I am very upset and see by reading reviews online that several other people have been lied to, too. I want my money back. Why would I be told that I was buying an extended warranty? I am outraged!

Original review: Nov. 24, 2011

Laptop owned for ~9 months and the hinge and casing are coming apart. Do not close the screen that often. Should be able to expect at least 12-months warranty worth of quality. But no, they say it is physical damage that requires an additional warranty purchase. Never another Toshiba.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2011

I bought a Toshiba satellite c655d-5200 on October 29th 2011 and the DVD drive does not work. I called Toshiba and they had me do a system restore. Now, the whole drive does not work. I work as a customer service representative from home and the laptop is my only computer and a necessity for work to process calls. Not only will the store not take it back (only three weeks old ), but Toshiba wants me to pay to mail it in, and will not replace it.

I had loss of money while I have no computer. When I spend $400 for a laptop, it should have no issues in 14 days! It had caused loss of work, time, and the cost of purchase.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2011

SA 300-23E S.N.496747784, battery not working! Alfuttaim service in Bahrain charged BD 200 to fix the problem, and when they return the Toshiba laptop is totally dead. The problem occured before the warranty period since the laptop was gifted to my daughter in Goa, India! I was unable to get it for repair, I need an authorized person's attention to resolve the issue before I go to legal authorities. The product should work at least 2 to 4 years but I faced the problem from the 9th month. I expect immediate response to this matter.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2011

This past July, I purchased a Toshiba Satellite that would have been my sixth Toshiba computer. The quality flag was waving, but I paid no heed to it - for the first time, no extended warranty was offered. Anyway, the computer was DOA (dead on arrival). I had the option to send it back for repair or for a refund. Disturbed, I opted for the refund. Three months later, with a great deal of hassle, I received my refund. Apparently Toshiba does not back up their products anymore. When they discontinued their extended warranties, they basically stated that quality, from now on, was going to be inferior. This is the typical made in China quality attitude we now expect, but we never expected it from Toshiba. Shame, shame on you, Toshiba!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2011

I purchased my first ever laptop (I unwittingly believed Toshiba was a well-known quality brand.) It was a Toshiba Equim OS Vista Home Premium. I have never been talked at so rudely by a customer services person in my life! I called after only 2 days to report that my media player crashed continually and was told it was corrupted. I replied when can they collect it for repair to be told download a different media player, and when I tried to argue I was told that I have been given my answer and stay on the phone as long as you wish. It is costing me $1.50 per minute and I have been on more than 30 minutes and he laughed at me. I then proceeded to have many problems, one after another, to the point that as soon as I factory restored it, another problem occurred.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba Satellite in August 2008. It worked fine for about a year and then started crashing on me with the blue screen of death-- making reference to some obscure memory fault. I rebuilt the machine numerous times using the image stored on the hard disk. I also performed all the MS updates with the same results-- blue screen of death. And this is with zero apps loaded!

After rebuilding the machine six times over the course of a few weeks (it took about 4 hours to rebuild and do the updates), I decided to do one final rebuild (without updates) before chucking the POS in the trash. Interestingly, the machine has not crashed since that final rebuild (no ms updates). The downside is that I used the machine exclusively as my video output from Netflix into my wide screen TV. I load no apps. I performed no updates. No antivirus. Just a bare machine. In addition, a client of my wife handed me his Toshiba. It crashes repeatedly giving the all-to-familiar blue screen of death.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2011

I have under warranty HP laptop . It had a problem with making noise and overheat. I registered complaint to get repaired by HP on Aug-07-2011, they sent an empty box to my old address, MI. Again I requested to change my address in their system. 2nd time they send again old address it happen like 5 times with me. They have a bug in their system. Manually, they can able to change of address at my information but shipment going on initial registration address till I am getting trouble with HP support system. Please can any one help me to case file against the HP or sue them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2011

I bought a Toshiba laptop in May 2011. It stopped working in October. The authorized center in Katy, TX could not fix it. I was forced to pay $25 to ship it to the Toshiba repair depot. I received an email from Toshiba that the laptop has been fixed and has been mailed back.

I was suppose to get the repaired laptop back by November 5. I didn't receive the laptop until November 10 because it was mailed to a wrong address by Toshiba. I made several phone calls to Toshiba from November 7 to 9 but were of no help. They promised to have a customer service manager return my calls but no one called back.

Later on, I found out it was left on the porch of another apartment in another building as that is the address that Toshiba shipped it to. Fortunately, the person delivered it to the complex office.

When I got it, key pad was malfunctioning and the "S" key was broken. I talked to a case manager and was extremely rude. He did not apologize for the wrong mailing or the delay and even wanted me to ship the laptop to their California depot again. That means I will pay another $25 and not have the laptop for the next 15 to 20 days. He was extremely rude and not helpful.

My suggestion to people is to stop buying Toshiba products because their quality has gone down and their customer service is pathetic.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2011

I purchased a Toshiba L755. There is serious vibration, which cannot be repaired. I sent it in 3 times, and it was returned back three times, still the problem persists. The safety warning for vibration was disabled, thereby trying to fool me that the computer was repaired when it really wasn't. Toshiba will only replace the computer with a "refurbished" unit but not of the same model.

Warranty states very clearly that this computer within one year will be repaired or replaced. Toshiba will not honor it's warranty. I now have a computer which cannot be repaired, and will not be replaced with the same model. Toshiba has walked away from the written warranty, stating company policy requires them to do so. This is fraud. Do not buy Toshiba products.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2011

Less than a month ago I bought a L755 at Future Shop. Probably less than 6 hrs total on time it completely went dead. The lights on the front lit up and that's it. I’m heading to Future Shop right now. I’ll keep you posted but don't buy a Toshiba.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2011

I purchased a L635 kids' laptop in April of 2011. The laptop is still under warranty. The laptop locked up, and had to be powered down while in WIFI mode. The battery was drained, so it had to be charged. After plugging in the battery, and waiting a few hours, the screen was cracked. Toshiba is saying that it is not under warranty.

I have sent in to the repair depot to get diagnosed. I know what the answer will be. I have found numerous complaints filed against the company for the same problems. It is kinda funny, that these many people, would lie if they actually did not cause physical damage to the machine. My 8 year old daughter is now without a computer, and they want $300 to have the laptop repaired. The original cost of the computer was $375. I will not stop, and I will continue to escalate this with Toshiba, until they either fix it, or give me another computer, and honor the warranty.

Toshiba Computers Company Information