Toshiba Computers

3.9/5 (684 ratings)
Shop Now on Amazon

About Toshiba Computers

Toshiba Computers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba Computers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

Like so many others before me, I bought a Toshiba laptop in May 2011 that the hard drive went out on after eight months. In warranty, I took it to the place I bought it at, Best Buy. They sent it out to have the drive replaced. Now, I don't have an operating system anymore. Somewhere along the line, I missed the prompt to create an operating back up. ***. Plug and play my a***. I spoke to three people at Toshiba, two in India and one told me he was in the US but I have my doubts. I got absolutely nowhere with them and unfortunately, nowhere with Best Buy either. It's a buyer beware world once again. I will never buy a Toshiba again and I'm posting this note anywhere I can think of. It is crap. They don't send any disks with these units anymore and you're out of luck if you think they will help. I was so frustrated I don't know what else to say. I am tired of working for peanuts, (yes, I'm lucky to have a job) and getting nothing for my hard earned dollars.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

I bought a Toshiba Netbook in June of 2011. In November 2011, it stopped working. It would no longer turn on at all. I took it to a service center who evaluated it in my presence and told me the problem power related and should be covered under warranty. I put it in it's case and put it in my closet until after the holiday season. I notified Toshiba in January 2012, who sent me a box to send it to them. Upon their evaluation, they told me it was wet and was not covered under warranty. They emailed me pictures showing me the moisture. This is a scam. The service center did not detect the presence of any moisture nor was their diagnosis related to any moisture. This laptop has never ever been near any water at all period not even a glass of water. I own several laptops as well as computers in general and know the dangers of drinking and typing. I have no way of proving my point because sometime after they received this Netbook, it was introduced to water which has completely voided my warranty and left me with a worthless six month old netbook. What can I do?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2012

I have saved for 1 year to purchase a laptop for my son for Christmas. Within 5 weeks of using, a line came across the screen. No problem, I thought, I have a 2 year warranty with Toshiba. I spoke to technical support, and after his online diagnostics failed, he said that UPS would pick it up the following week. No problem or worries on my behalf, as I thought it will be easily resolved, so I put my trust in them. I was also thinking that after only 5 weeks of using, maybe I got a faulty batch. It was picked up one day, and we waited for the repair and return. I was then being blamed for dropping the computer, to give it a cracked screen, which I can assure definitely never happened. I was then asked to pay $280 to fix or $80 to return my unusable 5 week old laptop! I then sent a letter of complaint, after speaking to Trading Standards with a check. I got a phone call saying they do not accept checks, but within 2 days, I got an email saying "order acknowledgement".

I thought at the time "what is that about", as I had no reply from my complaint letter. Then yesterday, I got an email saying "repaired", and UPS are delivering it today. Great, I thought, they have compassion, and accepted that the damage wasn't done on my behalf. Me and my son was so excited to get the laptop back today. It did turn up, but the screen fault was worse than when we sent it! It is now totally unreadable. How does one get a response from Toshiba, or at least some compassion? I am totally disgusted with their customer services. I never did get a reply from my letter to them, just some emails that actually gave me "hope" and sympathy. Now I have a 2 month old laptop, that I have worked all year to save for, that actually isn't even worth a penny! Where is the justice in that? How could they get away with it?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

I bought a Toshiba laptop in the summer of 2010. I spent a few extra bucks--$1000 to get something pretty decent. This past November the laptop broke on its own. It randomly asked me for a BIOS password even though I never set one. Windows doesn’t even boot up. I contacted customer service in December, and they told me that it is a known issue with Toshiba laptops and I’ll have to pay to have it repaired since it was out of warranty by a couple months.

So the beginning of this month I put in a repair order and my debit card was charged $119 just to have a box sent here to have it shipped out. Guess what? The box never arrived. I have contacted customer service about this, been transferred about and had a lot of time spent on the phone. They have no record of my repair order, even though my card was charged! I don’t know what to do. I’m already over $1120 in the hole because Toshiba is a crappy company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2012

I bought my computer on Oct. 2010. In December, my WMAX went out. I had to take it to Best Buy where I bought it from. They sent it to the "Authorized Service" to have it fixed and got back sometime in January. Then my hard drive crashed in early April. I took it back to Best Buy, where they again sent it off. When I got it back, there was nothing on it at all. They told me I needed to contact Toshiba, which were my first contact and a horrible experience!

They told me I should have sent it to them not the store I bought it from and I had to buy a new program to have my system reset. After much arguing, I sent it to their Depot and they had it reprogrammed. I told them when it was at Best Buy, again when it went to the Depot (in writing!) that I needed a charger, mine was not working properly. I got no response. I then called them again, stating that my charger did not work properly. They denied me getting one. I called again in November again requesting a charger but now I am out of warranty, never mind I had previously requested a new charger.

This thing was crap and I had my feel of Toshiba Customer Service. So, I'm sitting on my bed doing my school work and I go to move my computer and the charger and computer were so hot that the charger was melted to my bedspread! They responded quickly to this event. I sent the computer and charger off to be repaired and got it back in days. Here is the good part! They sent me back my computer as is saying the stickers were not melted but water marks. The port was damaged but it was not due to melting and that the cord was not melted, it was because I cut it! I am Furious! I not only have written documentation requesting the item be fixed, I have pictures of the damage from before I sent it in, and now I have proof of the company accusing me of trying to fraud them! I think I am seriously going to sue Toshiba for the damage and defamation of character! I wish I could sue them for horrible customer service!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2012

My thrive experienced a wireless connection problem, no big deal, you figure it's relatively new and under warranty, call customer service, which proved to be stressful and non productive. I talked to three agents, all who proved helpful. I know tablets is a new territory, but I've grown to expect quality products and service from Toshiba. This was a very disappointing experience. I eventually got the connection problem back, through no help from your guys. They need more training, reference number120123008084.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2012

It was bought at Office Max in 2010. I started experiencing system crashes/freezes on my Toshiba Satellite within 3 months. I talked to their tech support and advised that we reboot but all data was lost. It happened again just prior to the expiration of the warranty.

I called Tech support demanding a new unit. They explained it was because of the new automatic system updates and again, talked us through a reboot. Again, all data lost. No new unit was issued and it happened again last week. Tech support was contacted again, but now I am 45 days out of warranty. I have logs of all calls made prior to expiration, all due to the same problem. My take is it’s not a "new" claim, its failure to resolve or continuation of the old but they say no dice and no new unit issued.

The logs include hold times of almost 30 minutes only to have the call picked up and immediately disconnected. When I ask to speak to a supervisor due to lack of acceptable response, I am told it is their policy not to escalate calls. I will never buy Toshiba again. Product = F and Customer Service = F.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2012

I purchased a brand new Toshiba laptop as well as the extended warranty package about 6 months ago. After owning this product for 5 months it decided to overheat after being plugged in overnight to charge. I discovered the problem the next morning when I went to use my computer. The computer itself was hot to the touch and when I went to open it I discovered that the screen was cracked. Much to my despair I was lucky that my house didn't burn down. I immediately called your customer support center, which by the way was a difficult challenge because the person I initially spoke with could not speak English very well. After about an hour of going back and forth with the "customer service rep" the arrangements were made to ship my computer for the repairs.

The next incident occurred about 2 weeks into Toshiba having my computer, which has been a huge inconvenience to me due to the fact that my computer is used for my job. I received a phone call from Claudia, who by the way needs a lesson in how to speak to customers, stating that the problem couldn't be duplicated and that my computer would no be fixed unless I paid for the repairs. I asked to speak to her superior.

Not only did she refuse to let me talk to anyone higher up, but it was basically put to me that I would be stuck with this piece of ** product! Not only am I highly upset that Toshiba does not stand by the products that they manufacture, the employees are horrific as well. As a consumer, I want to thank you for one of the most ** experiences. I will never purchase anything with the name Toshiba or anything affiliated with Toshiba. I will file a formal complaint online and warn people about what can happen to them prior to purchasing Toshiba products.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2012

I bought new laptop. It was broken upon delivery. I had to send in for repairs. When it came back, same issues. It broke again. I sent it back again, opened it and it is completely corrupt now. I attempted to boot several times, booted with a checker board screen then kept freezing up and won't boot up whatsoever. They said they would call within 24-48 hours. I have not heard back.

They refused to refund money, said they will never refund any money. They said it has to be sent in for repairs under warranty of a minimal four times before they would think about replacing my defective computer. I am a photographer. I am losing clients and business because I paid $1200 for a laptop that has never worked. I told Toshiba I am losing work and they said nothing can be done. It is still under warranty and they said to keep shipping it in to them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2012

This is sad. Our company has bought laptops by Toshiba only for 11 years. And this time, we went to the Toshiba Mexico site and bought L675D-S7106, new - not reconditioned. And it was Spanish operating system. In fact, 90 days later, we start to get colored lines on the screen. We start the warranty process. We registered the machine but, the system had issues with the serial number. So we sent the proof of purchase to the closest Toshiba tech support office, they never responded. That was over the holidays, so we contacted Toshiba's main office in Mexico and sent them the proof of purchase and they said they don't cover lines in the screen.

So we went back to track the machine. This was a Wal-Mart Texas machine that didn't sell, so it go bulked to Toshiba Mexico who opened them and changed language of operating system, and resealed them and sold them for $200 more than Wal-Mart did. So further, we checked our accounting department for the tax receipt for it. They issued it for $200 less than we paid, we threatened them with reporting to federal agency and they sent a new one. At last resort, we went to Toshiba international site and put in the serial number, and it said it wasn't the model of the machine we bought, and after 4 months, the serial number is wearing off the computer decal - and this is a Toshiba direct product, or is it a fraud - we'll never know.

Our company cannot get to speak to any honorable people at Toshiba. I guess they are not honorable people there. But, we won't be buying another Toshiba, let them drop dead. They buy screens without warranty to build warranted laptops, when there are monitor makes out there with 1 year guarantees. Toshiba has dropped from first class to last on our list.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2012

I had my hard drive replaced while still under warranty, it took almost three and a half weeks to get the computer back. When I finally get the computer back, it has no software on it, completely wiped, no windows 7, nothing. After numerous calls to technical support, they were supposed to send me a shipping label to send it back to their depot, to have the programs loaded. They then call me and tell me that the warranty has expired and unless I pay for the restore, there is nothing they can do. Toshiba had my computer from December 12, 2011 until January 7, 2012. My warranty expired on December 25.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2012

The laptop was sent in for our company with a flex cable issue and was received by the warehouse in good condition. I got a call a week later with a picture sent to me of a cracked screen and no one at Toshiba will help me. Customer service hangs up when asked for a supervisor and the company will not respond to our complaints.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2012

I bought my laptop April 16th 2011 (A665-S6100X). The “X” is there because the first 6100 was recalled due to hardware issues. Five months in the CPU fan quit working and the laptop overheated. I sent it in for repair and it was free of charge for warranty. Four months later the same CPU fan fails again intermittently cooling the CPU. This time they want me to pay $29.99 to ship it to them.

Are they really getting so many warranty claims they have to now charge shipping for their warranty coverage? I told the representative that if they are unable to repair the problem, they should replace the laptop with a different make and model or refund my money as stated by federal law and they told me that wasn't an option. There are only 3 months left on my warranty, and I am almost certain this fan will fail once the warranty is out and leave me with a computer I paid $900 for that never worked correctly in the first place.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2012

Toshiba had to replace my hard drive within 3 months of purchase. Then, within 40 days of getting it back, the hard drive went again. They reopened the first repair order due to the error code I was providing. But when they received the laptop, they stated that the sensor under the cap lock key changed color indicating water may have hit the key. They could not determine if it was damaged but wanted $175.00 to replace the keyboard before any warranty work would be done. The key worked before it left my home, because I spent 3 days on the phone with tech support running recovery scans. In my opinion, they are simply trying to get back some of the costs for all the warranty work they have to do, because they are making defective products. It’s funny how they were able to find the one key on the keyboard that the sensor went off on. And it seems funny to me since the keyboard worked perfect before leaving my home.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2012

I bought a Toshiba laptop. I’m very happy with it except the optical drive stopped working (DVD drive). I carefully checked that it was the drive and not a software issue or issue with the CD I was using. I talked to customer service after a long time on hold and asked if I could just send the drive to them. They agreed that there was clearly a problem with the drive but said that I had to send the whole laptop at my expense.

The Toshiba website says they will send parts if it is something that can be easily replaced (and it doesn't get much easier than an optical drive). When I asked the customer service rep about that he just repeated his rehearsed lines. I asked to speak to a supervisor which led to another 10 minutes on hold. They promised to call me back, but never did. Based on all the other reviews, I knew better than to trust them with my computer so I just bought a replacement drive from eBay. So much for warranty support.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2012

On December 24,2011, I purchased the Toshiba 32gb Thrive. Three days later, I picked it off the counter and the upper glass cracked where my thumb was. I called Toshiba and was given the runaround about the glass of LCD screen not being covered under the warrant. I sent it in to be looked at for repair because was told if there was no damage, they would have it fixed. Not the case, they refused to repair. I spent two hours on the phone being passed from one person to the next with them telling me that it is my fault it broke and that I should be more carefully.

Finally, I called corporate and left a message. Three days later, someone called and still the same runaround that, "It's not covered and you should read the warranty prior to purchase," she says every time. This is crap. If it was six months, okay but four days not buying it. I will never buy another Toshiba product. They do not care about their customers and will not stand behind their product. I guess the commercials we see are crap and make believe. I would not recommend the company to anyone ever.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2012

When I play any video file in my Toshiba C650 laptop, the video running slow down sometimes. What can I do now?

Original review: Jan. 15, 2012

I purchased a Toshiba laptop and within 1 year, their tech group diagnosed its motherboard as bad and replaced it. That board went bad again, rendering the computer useless. Their Customer Service said, “Sorry, our replacement parts (from their own tech repair), are only under warranty for 30 days.”

I spoke to two customer service reps, understood that they were following policy, and patiently asked to speak with someone that could make a decision, as this response obviously doesn't make sense. That request was denied.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2012

I bought a Toshiba laptop (type A665-S6094/CORE, model PSAW3U-0DE039, serial YA336778K). This system does not even deserve a one-half star. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow for that option. I have never been so disgusted and disappointed in a product like this in all my life! I will tell everyone I know and post everywhere I can to make others aware.

I purchased this laptop because of the specifications on it and the wonderful rave reviews it had. I was looking for a new state-of-the-art laptop and thought I had really found "The One." What a joke! I purchased this on the last week of December 2010. I took it back to the store less than 60 days after purchase, as the entire hard drive was fried!

It was swapped out for a brand-new same model. Once again, on April 26, 2011, less than 60 days later, I took back the entire fried hard drive. I couldn't even turn unit on, causing me to lose everything I had on it yet once again. It was swapped out for a brand-new one that day also. On January 9, 2012, I was back once again with yet the same problem--hard drive totally shot, again causing me to lose everything I had on it.

In my opinion, this make and model should be recalled! As far as I am concerned, after 3 of these same brand-new laptops all having this type of severe problem with the longest time being just about 8 months before losing all use of it and having to be without it, you really would think the manufacturer would realize there is an obvious problem. I don't even know why I bothered sending it out. After all, what is going to happen? Well, they will fix it or replace it.

Once again, I will have the same model and I'm quite sure, the same problems. Their solution? Take it home and see how long it takes to crash this time? I have owned many computer systems and still do but never a Toshiba. Rest assured, it will be the last one I purchase. It costs me valuable time and money running back and forth to exchange or repair it.

At this rate, I truly believe I would probably be able to purchase a new one cheaper by the time I finish paying for my time away from my business, gas, etc. to keep returning the same model. I was told there is also some type of Lemon Law on these items. I guess I'd better check into it, considering this will be number 4 that I will pick up and wait to see how long I can actually use it before it crashes again. Personally, 3 times in a year is just ridiculous!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

Toshiba refuses to sell an extended warranty for Christmas gifts even if you aren't the one who bought it, and it was a gift you received 30 days past the purchase date. I received a Toshiba Thrive 32gb tablet on Christmas day as a Christmas gift. Less than 2 weeks later, I tried to purchase an extended warranty. The tablet was sealed in the box until Christmas day. On Christmas day, I charged it for a few hours then turned it on and proceeded to register it.

Toshiba is refusing to sell me an extended warranty, because you have to buy the warranty within 30 days of purchase date. I am sorry but Christmas is the biggest gift date of the entire year. It is recorded in their system when it was first registered. I think there should be a grace period for Christmas gifts. I will never buy another Toshiba item again. Apparently according to reviews, I am reading here many people are having problems with Toshiba in regards to warranties. Why purchase an item that costs a lot of money from a company unwilling to take care of their customers? My money will never go to their company again.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

I bought a Toshiba laptop for my college-bound son in May 2011. Less than six months later, the disk drive failed. He's in a panic, but coming home for Thanksgiving with the computer. Toshiba's warranty says, "Ship it back to us and we'll fix it." Only, this is a mission critical computer for him, we don't have time to ship it anywhere. I pay $350 to have the drive replaced, software picked from the damaged drive, file transfer, etc. Now, I know Toshiba isn't going to pay my costs, but I figure at least they ought to replace the damaged disk drive.

So, I call their warranty people and offer to ship the bad drive back in exchange for a new one, so that if there's a disk failure in the future, I won't have to buy a second drive! Of course, they'll hear nothing of it. The rep says, "You can ship it to us if it's in warranty and we'll fix it." This is after I had carefully explained, in almost the exact same words, that I understood their policy. Translation: "We have a script and we're sticking to it." Since I'm in Dallas, I asked the rep if she knew what's in Round Rock, TX, about 2 hours from here. Her response was, "No, sir." I said, "Dell Computer is there, and I don't think I'd have this problem with them, so this is the last Toshiba product my family will ever buy. " And she says, "Is there anything else we can for you?" It's like they've done anything in the first place.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2012

I would like to write what an epic failure this company has been so far when it comes to timely repair. I bought the C655D-S5210 laptop 6 months ago and the computer just stopped working. It gave me some weird message. After I talked to support, they stated to send the laptop in for repair and would take 7 to 10 business days to fix. I sent the laptop back and obtained proof of delivery. This is the 6th business day and the laptop is still not shown received in their system.

After talking to the depot person twice, they are still looking for the laptop. I stated, "Why don't you ask the person who signed for it!?". They have yet to return my calls. This is complete and utter failure of procedures of how a business works. At this point I think the laptop is lost due to some moron who could not do his job properly. I will never buy or deal with Toshiba again. They are useless failures.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

We purchased a Toshiba laptop, and I have never had any problems with Toshiba. Their tech support was helpful. Unfortunately we got a ** laptop I needed to have the hard drive replaced. I waited a month and received an email that they were mailing me my repaired laptop. I received nothing that stated anything was wrong and even checked on the status and was told the item was repaired and mailed back on 1/7/12. They never repaired it. Instead they sent me some bogus pictures and accused me of spillage! No email or phone call to say something was wrong. The funny thing is I just got it back and there is no sign of spillage at all. I am so upset and after having to make three calls I was told to sue them!

I am so mad I will let every veteran know with a big sign on my wheel chair what a terrible company they are. I spoke to 3 people who could care less. There was no spillage. This was a ploy to get more money out of me. I was told they will not repair a computer with spillage but the next sentence was if I would pay them they would take it back to repair! What a hoax. I will let everyone I know, every veteran I know, every contract for VA, VBA and Congressional liaison know what a ** company this is. Where is the customer service? I was told to get an attorney. I could hear the sarcasm of the employees. Disgusting! Be warned!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2012

I purchased a Toshiba Laptop on the end of July 2011 for my daughter. What a mistake. I noticed the top left corner of the base splitting open every time we opened and closed the notebook and the keyboard was no longer working after a few months (she started using the onscreen keypad).

I contacted them and I had to either pay $24.99 to ship it back or ship it back at my own. My daughter called in first. The customer service representatives barely spoke English (language barrier). They then wrote the email and contact information down wrong because we never received the email to print out the label. I called about a month later after questioning my daughter about the box that is supposed to arrive and confirmed the information with the customer service representative and they had the wrong email and wrong telephone number. I then gave them all of my information. Again, they wrote down the wrong information because when I sent the laptop into them, I never heard from them regarding the repair.

I finally called because it was in repair status for almost two weeks. They had the wrong home number but I gave them my cell number as well, so I don't understand what the problem was. Then, they tell me that to repair the keyboard and the base, it's going to cost me $175. If I have a warranty then why am I paying anything. They say that the keyboard ribbon was cut. I asked why I am replacing the base board when it's a Toshiba defect. They say it's because it's not considered a defect at all, it had to be something that we did. We had to have applied some type of pressure by closing or opening it to hard. There's no way that Toshiba made a terrible product and that's why it's falling apart in less than six months.

I believe that I'm not the same person with this problem and they know it and that's why it's not covered. I told Amber that I wanted to file a complaint. She couldn't transfer me to the corporate office or anything because it's internal, she said. She then gave me the name of an authorized dealer who could repair the laptop without voiding out my warranty which is good for nothing.

So, I either have to let them fix it or go to the authorized dealer. Either way, I'm paying more money for their poorly made product. I just paid almost $430 for this laptop then to pay $175 on top of that is ridiculous. I will never purchase another laptop from them ever again.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2012

30 days without the laptop or fix it myself. When the hard drive failed, Toshiba expected me to send my entire laptop to them to diagnose and repair. Most companies can remotely diagnose a failure such as this and can send a replacement for the customer to install. I had to purchase my own replacement hard drive so my daughter could keep using the laptop at college. This cost me about 25% of the cost of a new laptop. This is horrible customer service. I recommend that nobody purchase a laptop from Toshiba due to the poor service. I had to purchase a replacement hard drive out of pocket.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2012

The laptop was poorly engineered and it overheated because of a weak fan. When I sent it in for repair and they returned it, the computer still overheated. This time I repaired it myself. Several screws were missing and the screws that hold down the cooling fan were not in place. The laptop was $900 plus several hundreds more for Toshiba to fix. It never ran properly.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2012

No rating at all. I have purchased three Toshiba laptops and have had problems with every one of them. On my last two a blue screen keeps popping up. The last one, bought for $298.00, is getting a blue screen that says something like “check BIOS caching and shadowing”. I bought these computers from Wal-Mart who will not take them back, nor is the warranty any good. I have only had this laptop for less than three months. I am very disappointed in Toshiba who is selling these crappy pieces of what they call high quality computers. I am unable to use my laptop, which I use for school purposes. It is causing me to miss class due to this blue screen and no one will take responsibility in fixing.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2012

I purchased my Satellite A505-S6960 from Best Buy with an extended warranty and began to experience motherboard problems. Two of the USB ports are not working. It gets extremely hot and the battery doesn't last a good 2 1/2 hours. I will never purchase another. I regret purchasing one and Best Buy refused to offer an extended warranty probably due to the issues with them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2011

My laptop is one year old. I have had many issues with it. Toshiba still doesn't want to solve my issues, even though my laptop has extended warranty. My laptop doesn't work properly. This disables me to communicate and take some courses.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2011

RE: Toshiba C655D-S5200 laptop computer; serial #: 6B147477Q; purchased: 9-23-2011 Wal-Mart, Monticello, KY 42633; purchase price: $328.00

I purchased the above described laptop computer and had immediate problems with it. The computer was slow and the touchpad was difficult to use. I worked with the computer for weeks trying to tweak the settings to allow the touchpad to work normally. Since I typically use my laptop at night for only a couple of hours, this was a time-consuming process. I had no success. I then loaned the computer out to my daughter, who was taking online college courses, to let her test it out. She could not get the touchpad to work correctly either, and even had the computer kick her out of a test due to the erratic cursor. I have purchased several laptops in my lifetime, Compaq, HP, Lenovo, Sony Vaio, and the touchpad in each of them worked right out of the box (as did everything else). I have never had to tweak any settings, nor struggle to get the touchpad to respond appropriately.

I called Toshiba customer support on 11-15-11 at 10:30 pm eastern time and spoke with John concerning the issues with the touchpad. The cursor/mouse was erratic and unpredictable. It would click by itself, and would fly across the screen with the slightest touch. Tapping was accomplished only by thumping, and the cursor would disappear. I was told to tweak the settings and try that out. He gave me a case number, **. This did nothing to help.

On 12-20-11 at 2:15 pm, I again called customer support. I spoke with John. I reiterated the above problems which still continued and again said that the computer was slow. The tweaking of the settings did not work and I needed something else done. He said I had to rebuild the computer to factory. I explained that I needed to back up my files first. He said to do that and then call back. He gave me a case number, **.

On 12-22-11 at 5:20 pm, I again called customer service. I spoke with Luigi. I expressed concerns over the program "Microsoft Office" I had on my computer. It was my last of three installations of that software, which is expensive, and I did not want to lose it. He said the password would be remembered on the computer despite the rebuild. He assured me the computer would remember my software and re-install it. He talked me through the rebuild and gave me a new reference number, **.

The rebuilding of the laptop seemed to speed it up some, but it did nothing for the touchpad. So, on 12-26-11 at 12:45 pm, I called customer service back. I spoke with Steve. He created a "depot repair" order and said he would send a box in which to return the computer for repair, for the touchpad had to be replaced. He then said it would cost me thirty some dollars to mail the laptop to them to be fixed. I was incredulous. I told him I would not pay to fix a brand new computer. He said the cost was not to fix it, but for shipping. I said I will not pay another dime to fix a brand new computer.

I asked him why I should pay for something to be fixed which is brand new. He again said that I would have to pay the shipping. I requested that he check to see if there was a drop off point close to me, but he said there were none. I again reiterated that I would not pay anything to get a defective product repaired under warranty. He suggested that a manager call me back. I accepted. He said that a manager would call me back within 24-48 hours.

On 12-28-11 at 1:40 pm, I called customer service. I spoke with Ryan. I explained that I did not receive the promised call within 24-48 hours. He told me that I would have to pay the shipping costs. I said I wouldn’t and asked to speak with a supervisor. He said he would try to transfer me, but the last time he attempted it, it took 10 minutes. I said that was all right as I had already been on hold for over 25 minutes. I was transferred to Arnie. He told me that I had to pay the shipping. I said I wouldn’t and asked to speak with a manager, because he was not the second level responder.

He transferred me to Kistine, who also said I would have to pay shipping. She was arrogant and condescending. I explained the above and that I would follow up with Consumer Affairs, Federal Trade Commission, State Attorney General, California Attorney General, the Better Business Bureau, and the president of the company. She was not concerned. She merely reiterated her insistence that I pay shipping. I hung up.

First of all, I feel it is totally ludicrous to ask the consumer to pay to have a brand new computer fixed. Toshiba might argue that the fee is for shipping, not repairing the product, but that is a lame argument. The cost is burdened upon the consumer when it should be at the expense of the company who manufactured the product. Merchantability laws basically state that products should perform the functions for which they were created. If the touchpad doesn't work, then the laptop cannot be used to perform the functions for which it was made and purchased.

This situation should be remedied at the expense of the manufacturer, not the consumer. No matter the argument, it is the consumer who is paying to be able to use a product which should already work. If this is their policy, which is not advertised in a readily visible area on the box of their products, then they should be required by law to replace the cost of the item and pay to receive their item back. They should either fix the product for free, at no cost (whether shipping, handling, grafting, or otherwise), or refund the cost of the item and pay to ship it back to their location.

Toshiba's policy for warranty work is absurd, deceitful, and should be unlawful. There are countless websites, message/post boards, twitters, and other groups vociferously stating the same type responses to the horrible customer service at Toshiba. They not only testify to the same type problems I am expressing, but countless customers have actually paid the money to send in their products to have service done, all with horrible results. Fake problems, such as water damage or dropping abound. Items held hostage until large sums are paid to retrieve them, huge repair bills for problems that did not exist when sent in, fabricated declines of warranty coverage, and other problems too numerous to mention fill the pages like an antediluvian flood of ink. Mine is by no means an isolated problem.

Toshiba Computers Company Information