Toshiba Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Don't buy this laptop!!! This laptop was good the first few months, then the mousepad stopped working, which I did not really mind. Then bammm it happened, the keyboard stopped working. The screen freezes here and there and my laptop would always factory reset by itself which gets really annoying when you lose all your work. I spent a lot for this laptop and I expected a good quality laptop. I really regret buying this and will not buy anything from Toshiba again. I put 1 star out of 5 because the first few months were good when this laptop still worked. Toshiba customer service sucks when you do not have a Toshiba computer repair shop nearby and only Toshiba television shops.

I bought Toshiba laptop computer at Best Buy about little more than a year ago. I've carefully used the laptop and it was on my desk all the time. I've suddenly began to see the small dots on my laptop screen(looks like dead pixels) and it wouldn't go away. I've used bought and used several different brand of laptop computers and I've never experienced this before. I would not consider buying Toshiba products in the future.

I got a Toshiba laptop in Dec. 2014 for Christmas. Not long after having it I started having issues. (wire pinching so wouldn't connect correctly) Sent it back and they said they fixed it. Worked for a while again and I had to send it back not long before my yr. warranty ran out. This was for the same issue. I asked them to send me a new laptop since this was the second time for same problem. They would not and said they fixed the problem. Just started having same problem again. Called and because warranty is out they said I would have to pay for it this time. Could not get anywhere with them. So I took it to a local computer guy. He said, "Who worked on this before because they rigid it with glue?" Couldn't believe it.

Called Toshiba again and they still will not do anything. Was told by Staples and 2 local computer guys that they don't even recommend Toshiba anymore because of their poor customer service. Cannot over $600 was spent on a laptop that only lasted 2 years with having been "fixed" twice. Do not waste your time or hard earned money on this company.

I owned a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5350 Laptop computer for 1.5 years before the motherboard failed. I took it to the computer repair shop and they determined that it was a motherboard failure, possibly the charging system on the board. This computer sat on my desk for the most part. In the past I have worked as a programmer and traveled with my computers for years and have never had a complete failure like this. Ironically, I purchased this Toshiba to replace my Dell Inspiron that was getting older, just to be safe. But now I transferred all the data back to the old Dell and it is still working fine. Neither Staples, where I purchased the computer, nor Toshiba had any interest in standing behind this product due to it being out of the 1 year warranty. I would think with as major a failure as this they would have done something to protect their brand.

My current 17" Toshiba notebook has been perfect. Good screen, great speed, all features (backlit keyboard, USB 3.0, USB charging of even an Ipad, built-in wireless and display adapters work well, and the Windows upgrades from 7 thru 10 have installed flawlessly. Could have been better only if it was free. If the feature set, memory, O/S, storage and port connections meet what you need in a Toshiba model, get it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

I have had the laptop for more than 5 years. It has been dependable and I have never had any problems with it. I like the DVD drive for watching movies, etc. I like the Toshiba laptop brand. I hope they continue to make them available with DVD drives.

I have bought 2 Toshiba laptops based on price and will never do again. The customer service is awful!!! I do not think the Toshiba company actually has a customer service division as I have never been able to reach anyone.

I have very good luck with this computer. Everything seems to work for a change without any problems. Would get another like it. This is the first computer that does not have a mind of its own and doesn't go off on tangents.

Had a Windows 10 upgrade Dec. 11 that killed my start up. This was exactly a year to the day I picked up my computer. I didn't register until a couple of days later. I had purchased Dec. 8, 2015 and it was shipped to Walmart. When I called support they told me I was out of warranty, BC they start it from the order date 12/8 not when you have in hand 12/11 or register 12/14. So the clock starts to tick days before you even open the box! They wanted me to pay them for support because it was out of warranty (not even a couple days grace period) and couldn't tell me if they could fix, just wanted money upfront. I had already done all of the recommended diagnostics. Note: I'm also a computer professional and test them for a living.

When I asked them if they suggested anything else, they said they would "walk me through it again". No thanks. Had already done several times! There is NO US call center only India and if you don't understand someone, they won't transfer you to someone else. You are told you have to call back. Generally, they were not helpful, sometimes outright rude, stuck only to a script. I had to repeat myself on multiple calls although I had a case opened. I ordered a restore disk through Toshiba.com and it mostly loaded but consistently stopped at the same place 88% after partition updates in the install. At first they refused to send me another copy, telling me it was my hard drive... Yet my drive ran the install for over 2 hours. I suspect they sent a bum file on the restore thumb drive they sent, as do the folks at Microsoft who have been great and who have also been working with me (without expecting compensation).

The Toshiba call center does not have a survey, and will not escalate issues or give you a consumer complaint dept. This tells me they are completely uninterested in customer satisfaction/feedback. All other US numbers I googled send you back to the same horrible call center. So you are in support purgatory because they are useless. Not sure if I'll get my year old laptop working again and have spent over 12 hours of my life, I'll never get back. One thing I am sure of, I will never buy a Toshiba product of any kind ever again!

Too many problems with memory and computer crashing in the middle of a job or email. Machine crashed way too often in the middle of operations. Memory filled up too fast. Desktop icons come and go for no reason.

Touchpad off center, all inputs and outputs located on sides. Needed to add 1 gig memory, had 2 and had low mem warning. 4 years and never a computer failure only virus, malware and program conflicts have interfered with operation. Battery life about 4 hours.

Just a very reliable device. I've had my laptop for over 5 years. It's been very reliable. If it were not for some self-imposed difficulties, I would've had no problems at all. It does almost everything I need it to and then some. I plan to upgrade in the near future though. Not because of any issues with my device. But because it's just time (smile). I would/will definitely recommend my Toshiba to anyone listening.

It a good laptop for what I use it for. If you want to play games and look at facebook it a good computer. If I had the extra money I would of like to put account app on here. Its doesn't have a lot of app for that.

It is a very user-friendly computer and their customer care is great. I like this laptop because it's easy to use. It's easy to transport and it's battery is a long life. I have never had any problems with it.

My satellite laptop is 4 months out of warranty. My LCD screen started to melt from the inside out. When I called Toshiba, my case was "escalated" and they sent me a box to send my computer for a diagnostic test. I described the burns to the Toshiba rep as a gray mark that first appeared on the screen, followed by a burn on the core case, followed by what looked like a cigarette burn. It is clearly a FIRE HAZARD! These burns occurred when the computer was plugged into an electrical outlet and the battery was at 100%.

At any rate, Toshiba just got back to me and said an external heat source caused the burn and that it would cost $161, plus to fix it! Really? I have to pay for a defective computer. They said, "Well you said a cigarette could have caused the hole!" I said, I described the hole as looking like a cigarette burn. I don't smoke and my computer is nowhere near a heat source. Toshiba will not make this wrong a right! Not good as it is clearly a fire hazard.

I am a review on behalf of a PC engineering company. We don't purchase Toshiba laptops due to the issues we have had in the past. We sell mainly Dell as we believe they are the best manufacturer out there. With on call assistants and extendable warranties. However a member of staff from one of the companies that we provide IT support for already had a Toshiba laptop. It was coming up with a hard drive fault. With the laptop still being under a year old we sent it to Toshiba as it was still in warranty. No point us pulling it apart when a Toshiba technician could still do it. As they know their system's better than we do.

We sent it off on the 20/10/2016. We received the laptop back on the 08/11/2016. We knew from the terms and condition it would take up to 21 days for the repair to be completed and returned to us. So we were ok with the 18 days it took. However when we received the laptop back and began to get it ready to go back out to the customer it would switch itself on after being shut down. We were unable to fix this issues and as this wasn't happening when we sent it off we determined this issues was caused by Toshiba.

I called to make them aware of the issue and they said I had to send it back as a new repair. I did this, and they received the laptop on the 12/11/2016. I then didn't hear from Toshiba till the 22/11/2016. They said they could find no fault with the laptop and needed more information about the issue. I responded immediate wanting to get it resolved as fast as possible. I then didn't receive a response till the 01/12/2016. I had sent 2 emails to them in that time regarding an update which weren't responded to, so I called on them to ask as to the progress of my repair only to find that none of my emails had even been read!! I prefer to send emails when it comes to complaints so I have written evidence. I was told the information about the problem was sent to the repair team.

I then got a response from Toshiba saying parts need to be ordered. At this point the laptop had been with them for over 24 days. I emailed to ask how long they should be with the repair. I didn't get a response so I called them. Only to find the replacement motherboard was out of stock and on back order. When I asked if I would get it before the new year he said he didn't think so. How can they think this is acceptable customer service? I now have a customer that hasn't been able to do any work from October till the new year. Appalling service. I don't know how they are still in business.

It's of good quality including its services and the product itself. Whenever I bought electronic I usually choose Toshiba because its quality is best, long lasting. You feel confident whenever you used these product. It is still useful even beyond its warranty period. Its features does not outmodel the other products. It can stand the test of time and remain useful even the warranty period is already expired. I bought a television and used it for ten years without undergoing any repair. Only the lightning hit it that I have to sent it to repair but after repair I still able to used it for two years before I give it out to a friend who really asking for a television because she cannot afford to buy.

Bought child a Toshiba laptop based on price despite mediocre reviews. Screen went flaky (intermittent flashing) in September. Contacted their customer service and learned that every negative thing I'd heard was true. First round of customer service calls required about a week of email exchanges and photos. Had to resend everything at least once "because their system lost it." Result: They decided the screen was water damaged and therefore not covered by warranty. Oh well, it's my child's laptop and so its totally possible. No problem, that's EXACTLY why I bought an extended warranty through Office Depot because it covers just that situation.

Because laptop is less than a year old, all they need is a letter from Toshiba saying exactly what they told me on the phone - that their warranty doesn't cover that damage. TOSHIBA NOW COMPLETELY REFUSES TO WRITE THAT LETTER. Over three hours, three service reps and two managers (and three case numbers, every transfer seems to lead to a new one - oh, and had to resend all the pictures again because amazingly their system lost it again), I got two resolutions that were simply a mailed copy of the warranty I had sitting on my desk in front of me.

The last call, however, is infuriating. They went back on their original judgement and now require me to mail the laptop to their depot for repair - the full time telling me that if it *is* the water damage they originally suspected I will be billed for the repair they originally refused to make. So, the way I see this going down is: I am writing two checks for shipping and wasting all this time so they can tell me they won't cover the repair and then I will be writing two checks to ship the laptop to the extended warranty people. NEVER TRUST A COMPANY THAT IS SO SKETCHY AND GUTLESS THEY WON'T PUT THEIR DECISIONS IN WRITING. What I am curious about is what Toshiba gets out of changing their mind about refusing the warranty.

I have owned two Toshiba brand within the last 3 years. My first one hard drive crashed at 1 year and 6 months. I went to Best Buy and purchase Toshiba Radius Satellite P55W-B5112, I should have learned my lesson and go with other brands. This laptop cost me $669 at the time when I purchased last year. I kept having issue with my hard drive just like the first laptop. I called Toshiba Customer services and was advised that my warranty had expired therefore I would have to pay for them to troubleshoot my laptop. I explained my situation that this is the second time I've had this issue with Toshiba brand. The representative showed no symptom at all and kept telling me that there is nothing they can do to help me out.

I asked to speak to the manager and I got supervisor. I explained my situation to the supervisor and was told that I need to reset the computer to the factory reset because the partition in my HD got corrupted. I tried to do a factory but I kept getting disk failed error and get the black screen. The supervisor advised me to use Recovery media desk since my HD got corrupted. It erased everything. I told him I don't have a recovery media and then he states that I would need to purchase one from them. This is ridiculous.

This company just proved that they are all about making money instead of find solution. I asked him to ship me one as a curiosity but he couldn't. He then transferred me to another management department. Note. I have been on the phone for almost 1hr, after speaking to the management department, the lady said let me try to see if I can bend the rule for you and placed me on hold for 10min. When she returned she basically told me the exact same response as the supervisor. I was so frustrated that I wasted 1hr and half trying to get them to send me a recovery media.

Going forward I will never ever buy any more Toshiba brand. Lesson learned. For some of you who are thinking of owning Toshiba brand, please be careful and make sure to do your research, because sometimes is not all about saving money, it's more about durable and reliable products are. Good luck and stay away from Toshiba laptops!!

I purchased a Toshiba laptop, keeping getting an error message that it's crashing. They refused to repair as they no longer support a computer that is not two years old. When I tried to escalate the call, I am told no one is available. This is a global company and no one is home at 8:00 CST. Merchants are jeopardizing their reputation by having this produce in their stores. Please do not buy their products.

Toshiba Satellite C55D-B5102 Touch Pad - This Satellite is my second and last Toshiba. Battery time on a full charge lasts about 30 minutes, but the worst feature is the touch pad, which has a mind of its own constantly changing screen sizes on me when it does function - which is a constant irritation. Got a good discount on it after last Christmas through Best Buy in California through Amazon - BIG MISTAKE! The only consideration offered by Best Buy was to pay for a repair policy through Computer Geeks. The only remedy I believe I have is to re-solder the ground going to the touch pad. I'll wait until I get another pc so that I can transfer my software first...while typing this paragraph I have had three screen size changes - a continual irritating problem.

About my Case no. ** regarding broken left hinge on my laptop under one year warranty. Got the response from customer relation center Wil / Employee no. **. Broken hinge even it's manufacturing defect it can not be replaced under warranty. This is really not about spending few dollars out of pocket but is really about Toshiba attitude & bad customer service, even accepting Toshiba's manufacturing defect not replacing the hinges under warranty.

We bought one of the best levels of Toshiba computer, if price is any measure. Not a device I'd buy again. My wife finally gave up trying to get the computer to work and paid $100.00 for support. That was something of a waste. After no less than 20 hours online, they finally admitted that the computer was the problem and no, contrary to what tech support told her, in the end, the computer did not have a virus. So, we paid $30.00 for a return box and shipping. We've gotten like 4 emails for this joke they call Toshiba and we're still waiting on the shipping box. God only knows how people like this stay in business. In the end, I wished I'd bought an Apple. Most of my Apple using friends laptops are 7 to 12 years old. They're still on these old machines and are spending their days being productive instead of wasting hours trying to fix a crappy Toshiba laptop. God, why or why did I waste my time and money on this?

Worst company ever. Have tried for almost 3 weeks to get shipping directions and label to send in a 9 month old computer that does not work. Have spoken to 6 different people to get this done and no one helped. It should be against the law for a product to be sold in America and not have American speaking customer service people answering phones that actually care about their product. Toshiba SUCKS!!! What a waste of time and energy. Not to mention I use this computer for my business and I'm literally shut down. Would love to see businesses who care this little close down.

This is my 2nd Toshiba (Satellite C55) and by far it's the worst laptop I've ever owned. Extremely sensitive key pad (even after adjusting mouse control). I constantly get my screen turning sideways. There's no indicator light to let you know when a program downloads and have you seen how they package the hard drive inside? It cheap, cheap, cheap. Never again Toshiba. You've trashed a good product.

I got 17' laptop on Apr 19 2016 for 400 dollars plus tax. On Aug. 21 it's stop working. I shipped laptop for repair in Toshiba repair center. They received it on Sep. 2. I was informed that laptop will be fixed in 7-10 business days. On Sep.16 it was still in repair process. I called supervisor and was informed that they can not replaced hard drive because no hard drive is stock. I said that nothing wrong with hard drive, so he opened a new case and 2 days I see on website update about other part what need to be replace, they don't have it stock also. I was keep calling and finally Oct.3 got the info. I need to wait until the end of October. In mean time I was informed my warranty has expired. So I demand my money back.

I CALLED 5 TIMES before I got a call back. On Oct.11 I was talked I will get just 320 back as a Visa card which I need to wait for 4 to 8 weeks. Original offer was 190 because depreciation value (After 3 months old?). THIS COMPANY ARE CROOKS. WE NEED TO GET CLASS ACTION CASE AGAINST THIS COMPANY. Compliance about them on ALL consumers web sites and blogs.

My Toshiba Satellite purchased in November 2015 was still under warranty when it suddenly died on August 21, 2016. I worked with the charger plugged in but not on battery. After time on the phone with tech support it was determined the problem was with the battery. I was told a new battery would be shipped under warranty. Toshiba took my credit card number in case I didn't return the defective battery and promised the replacement battery would ship within 7-10 days. Well, it's October 10th and the ship by date has been revised for the 3rd time, to November 4th. No explanation, no email. I need to log in to the website and see the new ship date. Trying to navigate the telephone menus to get a real live person to explain this is an exercise in futility. Why do I have the feeling that I will never see a replacement battery from Toshiba?

I purchased Toshiba Satellite from Toshiba direct on June 2014. In March 2015, I noticed white spots on the screen and the battery does not last more than 2 hours (It should last 5-6 hours according to specifications). I called Toshiba support and asked for replacement since it's in warranty. They replied that the warranty covers a repair and not replacement unless the unit is fully nonfunctional! The unit was sent and they replaced both the battery and the LCD (as they say!). When I got the unit back in 2 weeks and upon getting the unit out of the shipping box, I found that the frame was loose! I called them again and they asked to send it back again! They replaced the frame and the cover! I complained and asked them that since they now replaced 4 items (the LCD, frame, cover & battery and some small stuff) it would be more practical to replace the full unit to avoid any future problems!

They stated that the replaced parts have their own warranty outside the laptop warranty! I got the laptop back in July/August 2015! In April 2016, I started to have issues with the frame. While cleaning the screen with a soft cloth, I noticed that a press on the bottom of the frame close to the right corner makes the screen switch off! Releasing the press will restore the screen back on. I ignored this because I fed up with Toshiba quality of service until last month when the screen started to fade out unless I press on the frame or knock the back of the cover until it is restored! I called Toshiba again complaining and as expected, they said the laptop warranty is over! I notified them that this is related to the repair so both it is warranty of the repair and replaced parts and notified them that they already had issues with the screen and frame so apparently it is a quality of parts or repair!

They said that the warranty of parts follow the laptop warranty (They apparently lied to avoid any more repair)! I asked them so how they would think I can trust any repair since the current issue is related to the repair basically! They first said that a repair when the laptop is out of warranty (a repair that I pay for) will have 1 year warranty unlike if it is repaired in warranty then it follow the laptop warranty! Later when I asked if that means that they don't care enough while repairing in warranty since it will have no warranty, they said any replaced parts or repairs don't have warranty. I asked if that means if I repair it now on my own, and it fails again after 5-6 months will I have to pay again, they said yes! Apparently, they are non-professional! I would like to ensure the consumer protection rights should interfere against such dealers that do not provide quality products particularly laptop is expensive (I got it for around $1,000)!

I have been trying since September 2013, just to get a message to Toshiba customer service. However they have so many sites I just kept sending and sending with absolutely NO satisfaction! September 2013, yes 3 years ago... My granddaughter was getting ready to start University and of course needed a computer. She had worked so very hard for every dollar. We had heard that Toshiba was a great product. So she took her $600.00 and bought one. I convinced her it was an excellent product and if by chance something went wrong Toshiba would take care of her. We bought it at Future Shop. (big mistake).

Within the first 2 months it started having problems and she was not able to use it for her school work. Future Shop took it back, not caring if she needed it for her classes or not. And when she phoned after a week she was told it would take at least another week. They ended up changing the motherboard. Actually it was changed twice in the first few months. On one of the trips to get it fixed Future Shop kept it almost 3 weeks. She was starting to fail some of her classes because she needed the computer for her schoolwork.

By I believe February 2014, she had to purchase another computer as the Toshiba was a nightmare and the people that they have warranty it are useless! I am just so frustrated... I have this $600.00 piece of... sitting in my home. Don't want to throw it away... (don't know why) I am hoping that Toshiba will ask me for this old one and send her a replacement that perhaps is up to the standards that got them their good reputations in the first place. So... I really hope this gets to someone that gives a hoot! I have not put down all the problem but I think whoever reads this will get the idea. So... Thanks for reading. I hope... and I also hope that I hear from someone... anyone... that represents this company!

I send my laptop for repair. The guys in the repair depot broke the usb port and now they say it's not covered by Toshiba. I regret buying this. Never buy Toshiba.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Headquartered in Tokyo, Toshiba is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with roots that extend back to 1875. Now, Toshiba offers a full range of hard drives, digital storage solutions, digital displays, business solutions, laptops and tablets. Toshiba laptops are built for high-performance to keep up with numerous business applications and are available at select retailers.

• Portege Z Hybrid: Toshiba’s Portege Z Hybrid laptops are designed to combine ultrabook performance with tablet portability.
  • Portege WT20 Tablet: Toshiba’s tablet is designed for performance and business use. It is a thin tablet computer that blends portability and durability.
  • Tecra C series: The Tecra C series of laptops are all-around functional laptops designed to run basic business programs. They are designed for portability and efficiency.
  • Tecra A series: The Tecra A series of touchscreen laptops come equipped with extra power to run many different business applications.
  • Tecra Z Series: Toshiba’s Tecra Z series of laptops are designed to be durable and portable for the worker on-the-go. They are built with lightweight shock-absorbing material that keeps them from becoming cumbersome.
  • Best for Toshiba laptop computers are best for businesses and consumers who want a reliable, work performance all-around laptop.

Compare Computer Brands