3.56/5

1013 Toshiba Computers Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2019

My operating system failed on my laptop after being out of warranty and I paid $99.95 for a one time fix subscription. I had called a little too late in the day so before they closed and they gave me a Case ID number and told me they would call me at a specific time tomorrow. The next day, they never called me and I had to recall them myself after waiting for half an hour and get a new helper. That helper neglected our session and didn't bother to tend to my computer when the troubleshooting was failing and he never called me back even though he said he would.

I didn't have time for weeks after those sessions to try and mess with it again, and finally I had free time a month later to try and get it fixed again. When I tried again, they told me that my subscription expired after 14 days (they didn't tell me this when I paid for it) and that I would have to buy it again. After I said no they put me on hold for another 5 minutes to tell me they can do it for a lower price, like $69. I refused that offer and asked for a refund because they didn't fix my laptop, and they said no because they already did troubleshooting on my laptop, and so that's what they call "service", even if it was only attempts. They will rip you completely off if your product is out of warranty.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Last year (June 2018) I purchased a Toshiba Tecra laptop via my company's EPP with CDW. This past Saturday, I shut my laptop down. A couple of hours later, I turned it back on again and was prompted for a password. This is a password I did not set. After 3 attempts, my laptop shuts itself off. After doing some research and finding that this is not a problem I can resolve myself, I called Toshiba Support. I found several articles describing the same problem that I had. The users called Toshiba Support, were told to press CTRL then TAB then CTRL then ENTER. A Serial and Challenge code appear. Once the user provided these details to support, a Response code was given to them and their computer was unlocked.

When I called to report my problem, the first person I spoke to did absolutely no troubleshooting with me and went straight to asking for my address so I could ship the laptop back. Lazy. I told him that wouldn't be happening and that a ticket should be opened and escalated instead. Several hours later, I received a call from someone at Toshiba telling me to email passwordremoval@toshiba.ca and I should receive an unlock code within minutes. I emailed them immediately but did not receive any kind of acknowledgement from this mailbox so I was unsure as to whether or not I had sent it to the correct one. Again, several hours later, I still had not received a code or a call.

Once I returned home from work, I called Support again (1.800.663.0378) and the person I spoke to was completely unhelpful. First he was unable to find my ticket based on my name or my phone number. I provided him with my ticket number and he was finally able to bring my ticket up. However, there were no updates in it. What is the point in a ticketing system if no one's going to update it? I asked him to confirm the email address I sent my Challenge code to since I did not receive confirmation after I sent my email. He literally said "well you sent the email so clearly you know the address" completely missing the point that I wanted to MAKE SURE IT WAS THE RIGHT ADDRESS. He full on refused to confirm that I had emailed the right address. I hung up on him. Don't care if he heard what I said as I was hanging up.

This morning, I finally received this message from Toshiba: "Hi, Thank you for contacting Dynabook support. Password removal is not covered under the manufacturer's warranty program, and is a billable service. Also, please provide proof of purchase for the unit. Thank you. Dynabook Support." This is absolutely unacceptable. This laptop is less than a year old. I did NOT set this password. I am NOT paying for it to be unlocked. Toshiba can take this laptop and shove it up their uptight **. Have a great day.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I contacted the Toshiba Warranty Department several times about updating my then expired warranty and changing the ownership of it, or at least the email of it. Even with Proof of Purchase, I would get a stock email from Toshiba saying that they could not do that either because I had another case (on a different matter open) or because they couldn't do it. Yet, I had not received a single response to my email updates when I got these emails from them asking them to close my existing cases or ignore them and fulfill the standing request. Toshiba's email and online support are very unresponsive and contact options outside of calling are nonexistent.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

At the retail stores they come comparable with all the specs as the rest of the brands. I spent about 800 on a new laptop only to use it for regular internet searching, Word documents and a tiny bit of Excel work. After about a year the computer completely slowed and lost almost all performance. "Yes I had Norton virus protection."

At a certain point I thought maybe it just had too much stored data so I wanted to just reset it to factory settings. I watched Youtube videos and followed all instruction to try to do so myself. I couldn't get the laptop to reset, so I decided to call Toshiba customer service. And after spending about 15 minutes going through their automated system, I finally got a real person and they wanted to charge me $99 to help me. What a joke!!! that's what I like about Apple, you get a real person right away if needed and they help you for free!! I will never buy a Toshiba product again. Fact. I gave it one star only 'cause I couldn't give it 0 stars.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I have a Toshiba laptop that has been working very well for the most part. However, I had concerns about something causing my computer to shut down. Although, this happened only one time, I wanted to get help to make sure nothing got into my system. I called Toshiba technical support and instead of them providing me (their customer) with basic troubleshooting support, they were more interested in making more money and trying to sell me a $99 fee for troubleshooting service because my product was out of warranty. My product is 3 years old and the first time that I call the company for support, they try to sell me something else. Very disappointing and not customer friendly at all. Apple provides technical troubleshooting support to customers indefinitely. Why can't Toshiba?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The Satellite laptop is a horrible unit, most of the keys don't work, nor the touch sensor, it is horribly slow, the start button rarely works, takes prolonged period of time to connect to the internet, the cooling fan runs a lot. Would never buy another. Soon as can afford new HP will throw my laptop away as not to pass it on to someone I know have them mad at me.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Because their virtually non-existing customer support and warranty, customers are left on their own to deal with the crashes of their computers. I have Toshiba Satellite and while it supposedly has all the amazing features, it crashes twice a day, the battery already died after about 2 years, the Windows 10 also makes it unbearable, the memory cannot handle all the processes that Windows 10 starts on its own. Some features randomly decide not to work, and etc etc etc. I’m extremely unhappy with it, to the point that I use my phone over the laptop.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

In 2015 we purchase 2 Toshiba laptops, after approximately 2 years the hinges on both computer began to have problems making it difficult to shut the laptops. The screen then became disconnected from the computer. It was a poor design. Toshiba was not willing to do anything to correct the issue. We definitely won't buy Toshiba again!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I bought my laptop new and after about 3 yrs, the hinges slowly started breaking! They are made of a cheap hard plastic that DOES NOT deal well with actual using (open and shutting) them. I am a photographer, so I did use my laptop a lot to edit photos. Although after spending hundreds of dollars I never thought the hinges would crap out!! That's just the beginning! Once they start breaking, it causes the WHOLE FRAME TO FALL APART! I was not able to close it. I literally had to duck tape the frame to use it until I was able to purchase A DIFFERENT BRAND LAPTOP! NOT A GOOD PRODUCT. :(

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Hinge failure created many problems with the functioning of the equipment. I contacted Toshiba's Customer Service to discuss the problems identified by a Toshiba authorized computer technician. The representative suggested that equipment had been dropped or perhaps damaged by another user. I explained that it was used by only one person and had never been dropped or shipped. Needless to say, he maintained his position that it had been dropped even in light of the technician's statement about the undersized hinges.

Toshiba offered to make repairs at their facility in California at my own expense. No discount or apology offered. We have owned one other Toshiba Satellite and was pleased enough to purchase another. I did a search on the issue and learned this has been a common problem that necessitated a class action lawsuit. Oh well, will never purchase from Toshiba again!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I had returned a Lenovo laptop I received as a gift to get a Toshiba touch screen satellite laptop as I have always preferred Toshiba in the past. What a mistake! The first year the battery pack needed replacement as it had fried some other components (apparently a known Toshiba problem in recent years). As the laptop was under warranty - although Toshiba did not offer great customer support, nor help - Best Buy returned and had the laptop sent out to be fixed. The laptop was ok, but I'm not a heavy computer user. Less than a year later the laptop refuses to stay powered on! It boots up anywhere from 5 to 45 second before turning off. Toshiba support will not help as they only, although begrudgingly, honor a one year warranty for their products.

I chose to refuse to pay the 70$ for them to diagnose the issue, although Toshiba support insisted it was a software aka Microsoft Windows corruption of the hard drive, which was interesting considering they hadn't even remotely logged onto my laptop to ascertain what the problem could be. Interestingly I removed the battery and am running on the A.C. adapter and the computer booted right up! Now I understand it's another battery pack issue from inferior products Toshiba has started using in recent years. I'm writing to help consumers out there make an informed decision when buying electronics, and I can't insist more to stay away from Toshiba products and their so-called technical support! Good luck!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I purchased a Tecra C50-C1510 laptop and the product does not match the price (on Toshiba.com). There are laptops that cost $299 and have bright LEDs. This laptop has some so-called "Anti-Glare" on it, but I think the lights are way too dim. Plus, the performance is too slow for what it is described for. The processing is a rip off! Just because of a feature that is added yet taken away in modern laptops, this laptop is created badly to compensate for that feature (i.e. HDD). The battery does not last even when you apply "battery saver". It is very difficult to multi-task. The warranty is split where software situations are not covered and hardware situations supposedly are! Something must be done to improve relations with customers who took their hard-earned money to purchase from a company who sells inferior products!

Original review: June 4, 2018

We have 3 Toshiba laptops and we absolutely love them!!! The oldest we have owned for 7 1/2 yrs now (w/ Windows 10). Still keeps up better than these cheap 2gb ram w/ Celeron processor they are trying to sell these days haha. They look a little dated, but they most certainly keep up. My advice is get educated on tech specs inside computers and price compare... Side notes: Replaced battery, charger, screen and HDD (as a collective for all three devices). Screen damage was due to my own negligence...

Original review: June 3, 2018

Toshiba is my favorite laptop brand. They last forever in laptop time, my last one gave up the ghost after 8+ years! They are stylish, easy to use, durable and versatile.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I am very satisfied with my Toshiba laptop which I have had for three years when I bought it to replace my previous Toshiba which was running slowly. This present model is very reliable, has soft touch keyboard, and easy to see symbols everywhere. It also has dependable battery life.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Toshiba has NO support and has high pressure to purchase support that other makers provide for free. No OS discs available. Extremely rude when trying to get support. Laptop has NEVER worked correctly!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Toshiba laptop is a good tool at a reasonable price with no known (yet) problems. Provides 1 TB hard drive, and 16 GB memory, and 17.3" diagonal display. Purchased at Costco 3 years ago, and is still holding up well. Solid workable laptop. Only thing lacking is solid state HD which would enhance performance.

Original review: May 24, 2018

The Toshiba computer is really good. I had Windows 10. 16 gig RAM. It's pretty thin and not heavy. Battery life is ok, but not great. The touchscreen is awesome.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've had the Toshiba Satellite for 5 years now. It's a quad core processor with 8 cpu's. I have never had a problem with the product. Upgraded from XP to the latest release of Windows 10 without any problems. It's a real solid product.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My older model Toshiba, Satellite L455D-S5976 is easy to use. I'm not a real techie person but this model has seen its years and remains relatively easy to figure out on the Windows 7. Even if I get something wrong, it is very forgiving. I have a newer Acer and like it too but it is locked up for some reason so I use my old standby Toshiba.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have bought Toshibas for years and a few HPs. I have really liked everything about them. When I have had problems or questions, Toshiba has been right there for me. Whether online chat or calling, problem solved! I am due to update my laptop again, not because anything is wrong with it, but I'm downsizing from a 15" to something a bit smaller!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have had a Toshiba Satellite S50 series laptop, which I purchased mainly because it still had a drawer for a CD as well as a port for a flash drive. I have had it for 4 years now and have no problems with it at all.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

We've had a reliable experience with Toshiba laptops. Both of our current models have survived several rough encounters and we have replaced both batteries after about 3 years.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

The Toshiba laptop that I have is decent but I've had it for over 10 years. It works good but is not the fastest pc around. But in general Toshiba is reputable but their support sucks. If you want a decent computer for a reasonable price then I would go with a Toshiba laptop.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Have a Toshiba Satellite -- never buy any other brand. Price point is good, and they are extremely durable. Fits all my needs to a big "T." When it comes time to replace it, I'll be getting another Toshiba.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I've had my Toshiba Satellite A665 for over 5 years and the only problem with it is the keyboard had to be replaced. The speed is excellent and updates are easy to apply. Before it was purchased, I did research on the brand thru Consumer Report. It was rated "Best Buy" for the reliability and cost. I really don't have any complaints regarding this computer.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I had 1 Toshiba while my HS & college children went through HPs like nothing. The only problem I have had with Toshibas is battery and power cords not lasting.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Toshiba is a good quality computer and very affordable. I liked my computer but it is somewhat heavy, so not easy to transport. Also the battery did not last, which is ok, because I keep the computer at my desk and is always plugged up.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius p55w-b5112 and it's AWFUL. I loved the fact that it's a touch screen but I have had to have the fan replaced 3 separate times now and I have to use an external mouse because the mouse pad no longer works. I have had this computer for 1 year. I have never in my life had a crappier laptop than this one. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Toshiba has been such a letdown and a disappointment to me. I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop last year and it has been a living nightmare. When I bought it, the headphone jack and ethernet port did not work at all. I called Toshiba and an Middle Eastern person, who could barely speak English, answered. I tried to explain my problem, but I could not understand a word he said. Eventually, I understood him to be saying that I would have to pay $30 shipping to send it in for a repair. I was very surprised that I would be charged for their mistake. I decided to wait and I called back the next day.

Again, I was stuck talking to a Middle Eastern person who COULD NOT be understood. But eventually he said that it would now be $40 for shipping. I was incredulous! I could not believe it! I was so pissed that they would try to raise the shipping price on me when they were the ones who caused this problem to begin with! Eventually I decided to do it myself, since I know what I am doing when it comes to computers. After I fixed it, I promptly sold it and vowed to myself never to buy another Toshiba product again. I wouldn't let my worst enemy buy anything made by them, much less a friend. I hope this review keeps you from making the mistake I made of purchasing a Toshiba product.

Toshiba expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokyo, Toshiba is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with roots that extend back to 1875. Now, Toshiba offers a full range of hard drives, digital storage solutions, digital displays, business solutions, laptops and tablets. Toshiba laptops are built for high-performance to keep up with numerous business applications and are available at select retailers.

• Portege Z Hybrid: Toshiba’s Portege Z Hybrid laptops are designed to combine ultrabook performance with tablet portability.

• Portege WT20 Tablet: Toshiba’s tablet is designed for performance and business use. It is a thin tablet computer that blends portability and durability.

• Tecra C series: The Tecra C series of laptops are all-around functional laptops designed to run basic business programs. They are designed for portability and efficiency.

• Tecra A series: The Tecra A series of touchscreen laptops come equipped with extra power to run many different business applications.

• Tecra Z Series: Toshiba’s Tecra Z series of laptops are designed to be durable and portable for the worker on-the-go. They are built with lightweight shock-absorbing material that keeps them from becoming cumbersome.

• Best for: Toshiba laptop computers are best for businesses and consumers who want a reliable, work performance all-around laptop.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs