3.58/5
Based on 32 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

1001 Toshiba Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 4, 2018

We have 3 Toshiba laptops and we absolutely love them!!! The oldest we have owned for 7 1/2 yrs now (w/ Windows 10). Still keeps up better than these cheap 2gb ram w/ Celeron processor they are trying to sell these days haha. They look a little dated, but they most certainly keep up. My advice is get educated on tech specs inside computers and price compare... Side notes: Replaced battery, charger, screen and HDD (as a collective for all three devices). Screen damage was due to my own negligence...

Original review: June 3, 2018

Toshiba is my favorite laptop brand. They last forever in laptop time, my last one gave up the ghost after 8+ years! They are stylish, easy to use, durable and versatile.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 2, 2018

I am very satisfied with my Toshiba laptop which I have had for three years when I bought it to replace my previous Toshiba which was running slowly. This present model is very reliable, has soft touch keyboard, and easy to see symbols everywhere. It also has dependable battery life.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Toshiba has NO support and has high pressure to purchase support that other makers provide for free. No OS discs available. Extremely rude when trying to get support. Laptop has NEVER worked correctly!

Original review: May 30, 2018

Toshiba laptop is a good tool at a reasonable price with no known (yet) problems. Provides 1 TB hard drive, and 16 GB memory, and 17.3" diagonal display. Purchased at Costco 3 years ago, and is still holding up well. Solid workable laptop. Only thing lacking is solid state HD which would enhance performance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

Original review: May 24, 2018

The Toshiba computer is really good. I had Windows 10. 16 gig RAM. It's pretty thin and not heavy. Battery life is ok, but not great. The touchscreen is awesome.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've had the Toshiba Satellite for 5 years now. It's a quad core processor with 8 cpu's. I have never had a problem with the product. Upgraded from XP to the latest release of Windows 10 without any problems. It's a real solid product.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My older model Toshiba, Satellite L455D-S5976 is easy to use. I'm not a real techie person but this model has seen its years and remains relatively easy to figure out on the Windows 7. Even if I get something wrong, it is very forgiving. I have a newer Acer and like it too but it is locked up for some reason so I use my old standby Toshiba.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have bought Toshibas for years and a few HPs. I have really liked everything about them. When I have had problems or questions, Toshiba has been right there for me. Whether online chat or calling, problem solved! I am due to update my laptop again, not because anything is wrong with it, but I'm downsizing from a 15" to something a bit smaller!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have had a Toshiba Satellite S50 series laptop, which I purchased mainly because it still had a drawer for a CD as well as a port for a flash drive. I have had it for 4 years now and have no problems with it at all.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

We've had a reliable experience with Toshiba laptops. Both of our current models have survived several rough encounters and we have replaced both batteries after about 3 years.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

The Toshiba laptop that I have is decent but I've had it for over 10 years. It works good but is not the fastest pc around. But in general Toshiba is reputable but their support sucks. If you want a decent computer for a reasonable price then I would go with a Toshiba laptop.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Have a Toshiba Satellite -- never buy any other brand. Price point is good, and they are extremely durable. Fits all my needs to a big "T." When it comes time to replace it, I'll be getting another Toshiba.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I've had my Toshiba Satellite A665 for over 5 years and the only problem with it is the keyboard had to be replaced. The speed is excellent and updates are easy to apply. Before it was purchased, I did research on the brand thru Consumer Report. It was rated "Best Buy" for the reliability and cost. I really don't have any complaints regarding this computer.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I had 1 Toshiba while my HS & college children went through HPs like nothing. The only problem I have had with Toshibas is battery and power cords not lasting.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Toshiba is a good quality computer and very affordable. I liked my computer but it is somewhat heavy, so not easy to transport. Also the battery did not last, which is ok, because I keep the computer at my desk and is always plugged up.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius p55w-b5112 and it's AWFUL. I loved the fact that it's a touch screen but I have had to have the fan replaced 3 separate times now and I have to use an external mouse because the mouse pad no longer works. I have had this computer for 1 year. I have never in my life had a crappier laptop than this one. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Toshiba has been such a letdown and a disappointment to me. I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop last year and it has been a living nightmare. When I bought it, the headphone jack and ethernet port did not work at all. I called Toshiba and an Middle Eastern person, who could barely speak English, answered. I tried to explain my problem, but I could not understand a word he said. Eventually, I understood him to be saying that I would have to pay $30 shipping to send it in for a repair. I was very surprised that I would be charged for their mistake. I decided to wait and I called back the next day.

Again, I was stuck talking to a Middle Eastern person who COULD NOT be understood. But eventually he said that it would now be $40 for shipping. I was incredulous! I could not believe it! I was so pissed that they would try to raise the shipping price on me when they were the ones who caused this problem to begin with! Eventually I decided to do it myself, since I know what I am doing when it comes to computers. After I fixed it, I promptly sold it and vowed to myself never to buy another Toshiba product again. I wouldn't let my worst enemy buy anything made by them, much less a friend. I hope this review keeps you from making the mistake I made of purchasing a Toshiba product.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Toshiba Laptop Computer apparent manufacture defects, multi problems that Toshiba fails to take care of knowing it is hardware issue. Touch Screen mouse freezes, white circle translucent bubbles form, flash, cause mouse to freeze, touch screen freeze up - necessary to hold bottom right corner bubbles down, pull off to one side of screen then take left hand to gain control over mouse in order to go to upper right of screen to then have mouse mobile to shut down or restart.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Toshiba Satellite S55 has been down 75% of the time in year and a half. Hard drive replaced by Toshiba twice. Video card now out. Toshiba won't replace. Says it's out of warranty. Service support online takes forever to speak with anyone. Toshiba shows no concern that their customers received their monies worth. Purchasing a Toshiba laptop is throwing money away.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Toshiba is reliable, and I have recommended it to my friends and family - it is easy to maintain, and the overall appearance is good. Keyboard is nicely sized, and there are sufficient usb ports for the various peripherals that I liberally use. I even like the built in webcam (I hated Dells). Hope this all helps.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

After my first experience with the Toshiba laptop I did not want a second one because this brand breaks easily. The keyboard is very weak, battery life does not last the full four hours, it gets heated and shuts itself off without warning.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The Toshiba Satellite is a very nice laptop that is durable and works great. I use it on a daily basis, haven't had a problem with it at all, and recommend its purchase.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I give lower ratings on durability because it develops malfunctioning hardware. Lately, the laptop freezes up in the middle of doing work and it needs to re-booted. Quite annoying! Also, the original battery didn't last too long and had to be replaced, like within a year. While overall the laptop has delivered value, Toshiba needs to address the hardware/battery issue to better compete with other brands.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

5 years ago I had a Toshiba hard drive that crashed and I lost over 20 years worth of documents and pictures (this was before I learned to back up to other sources). I sent the defective drive back and Toshiba replaced it no questions asked. I recently had another hard drive (different brand) that crashed on me and I lost another 10 years worth of stuff (I know I should always have my stuff backed up but these were pictures of my ex and I was only saving them on a drive for my son for when he was older since it's his father).

I was recently having computer issues and needed to dump my computer so I backed everything up to 2 Toshiba hard drives. While scanning through the hard drives I found a backup file from 5 years ago. Upon clicking on the backup and installing the contents on to my computer I found EVERYTHING that I thought I lost 5 years ago! 20 years worth of files and pictures have been on my Toshiba hard drive this entire time!! I don't know how they did it but I am eternally grateful! I would highly recommend Toshiba hard drives to anyone who would ask! Thank you Toshiba, you basically saved my life and all my files from my two children that I thought were gone forever!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've had the computer for almost 2 years now. My children purchased it for me. The assistance I received for general operating issues due to my lack of knowledge was great. Techs were patient. I've had no problems with the laptop's performance.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchased a Toshiba computer 2 years ago and the motherboard recently crashed. When I took it into the repair shop they said, “It was the 7th one of the same model with the same issue.” I understand it was no longer under warranty but would have expected it to last longer than 2 years. Customer care was of no use and was passed on to two different reps who gave the same robotic answers and offered no resolution. I would think that Toshiba would stand behind their products rather than hiding behind their 1 year warranty. I will never purchase another Toshiba product again.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have 2 Toshiba Laptops, same model, same purchase date. I use one for banking and paying bills and the second one for everything else. I also keep Geek Squad Support active. On average, I have to call Support or visit store twice a year. I don't know if this is normal downtime for a home computer.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

If you have a Toshiba and it had issues you should just trash it and get a HP, Dell or Lenovo. The warranty on Toshiba is the worst I have ever seen. Been in business for over 20 years and have never had trouble with warranty like with Toshiba. After you finally get them to send the part (hard drive) that needs to be replaced they will send out a used part. If the used part fails they do not want to replace it even if it is less than 3 months old. I will make sure I have any of my customers buy anything but Toshiba. With the laptop still being under warranty they finally decided to send me a second Hard Drive replacement. But you can guess what kind of drive they sent out again. Yes, it was another used drive (refurbished).

When I called to complain was told that is their standard on warranty parts. Not only do they send out refurbished drives but again I had to give them cc on file to charge me $242.00 if they do not receive the bad drive back (so they can send out to other people that need warranty parts). We are talking about a 500GB hard drive that cost $50 new. With all this said I hope everyone stops buying Toshiba laptops. Maybe then they will see how treating people wrong will affect our business.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The Toshiba Satellite Pro 50 I purchased for my son to go to college with stopped working after 5 weeks! I sought support. The only authorized dealer is 90 minutes by car from the large city he lives in. The other choice was to send the laptop to Ontario, across the country. There is no other support to solve this problem that is with a brand new laptop under warranty. They will not offer the opportunity to seek help or diagnostics at any other dealer or computer support center. There was no option or offer to send a replacement or temporary laptop for use during the time when I would not have any to use. My son is in college in another province and now has no laptop to do his work which is impacting his success. This is highly disappointing and I will NEVER ever purchase or recommend this company and their products.

Toshiba expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokyo, Toshiba is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with roots that extend back to 1875. Now, Toshiba offers a full range of hard drives, digital storage solutions, digital displays, business solutions, laptops and tablets. Toshiba laptops are built for high-performance to keep up with numerous business applications and are available at select retailers.

• Portege Z Hybrid: Toshiba’s Portege Z Hybrid laptops are designed to combine ultrabook performance with tablet portability.

• Portege WT20 Tablet: Toshiba’s tablet is designed for performance and business use. It is a thin tablet computer that blends portability and durability.

• Tecra C series: The Tecra C series of laptops are all-around functional laptops designed to run basic business programs. They are designed for portability and efficiency.

• Tecra A series: The Tecra A series of touchscreen laptops come equipped with extra power to run many different business applications.

• Tecra Z Series: Toshiba’s Tecra Z series of laptops are designed to be durable and portable for the worker on-the-go. They are built with lightweight shock-absorbing material that keeps them from becoming cumbersome.

• Best for: Toshiba laptop computers are best for businesses and consumers who want a reliable, work performance all-around laptop.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs