Toshiba Computers

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid 1.759 € for my new Toshiba with 2 year warranty. After 3 months troubles started. I had in in the first 8 months 3 times on service, each time I had it on service it took them 1 month to return. Now my computer still doesn't work well and I tried to retrieve the money, but the vendor where I bought it and official Toshiba service they both gave me some ** problems, the thing is even though the computer is not working well they don't want to give me back my money. I have a computer that lags, mouse pad on it is not working... Don't buy Toshiba... I am writing this because I am trying to get some drivers for it and it says that I need to put in serial number in order for them to help me, when I put in my serial number there are problems again... I have had it with Toshiba. Stay away from it. If I could give them - stars I would.

I was unable to see my image when using Skype on my Toshiba laptop, despite the blue camera lamp being illuminated. I could see the person I was calling but all they or I could see was a black square with a revolving arrow. I had already paid $149 to Microsoft and Skype to diagnose the problem and they had taken remote control of my computer, uninstalled the software, updated the driver and thoroughly tested the software. After 2 hours they concluded the problem was hardware and that I should contact Toshiba.

I did that, and explained EXACTLY what MS level 2 techs had accomplished. Toshiba insisted on doing the SAME things and then elevating the case to their level 2 techs for $29.95. For this they promised to DIAGNOSE the problem, but not necessarily fix it. I agreed. Level 2 wasted more time repeating the efforts of the others and concluded, it must be HARDWARE!!! They gave me 2 contact numbers which I called, only to find the 1st was out of business and the 2nd only dealt with commercial applications!

In frustration I played with the computer MYSELF for another half hour and discovered that my Kaspersky security system was blocking my camera in the name of "privacy." I switched the block OFF and all was resolved! So obviously Toshiba DID NOT DIAGNOSE the issue as promised and thus stole $29.95 from me. When challenged they cursorily dismissed my concern. Recommendation, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY on TOSHIBA support. They are clearly incompetent. It was I, a dentist that fixed the problem.

I've owned my laptop for less than a year. Throughout the course of this period, my computer ($650.00) experienced numerous issues from the moment that I pulled it out of the box. The keyboard keys will randomly lose their function; the volume keys hardly ever did anything to control volume (often nothing would happen when you pressed them, even after I just purchased the laptop), the brightness keys worked even less of the time. They'll randomly stop working on you, even if you just pressed them and they worked 30 seconds prior. The computer will not reach its maximum brightness, and when you try to turn the brightness up it'll say it's at max when it is not because the screen will be dimmed at 70% for no reason.

AFTER all of this annoying bull transpiring since I bought the computer, one day it just decided to turn itself off. Then after attempting to turn it back on, it'll work for about 15 seconds and then turn back off. When you call customer service, some derelict that works for Toshiba will tell you that it's fine after ensuring your warranty has ran out, then they'll pretty much just hang up on you. This was a motherboard crash because I had a competent source look at my computer. Upon looking into this issue with my laptop, big surprise, everyone with my laptop has this problem. Because Toshiba is an awful company that will take your money and sell you something that a designer probably manically laughed at after he finished designing this computer in 4 minutes.

In short, the Toshiba corporation sells awful, trash products that will not last. Spend the same amount of money on a Sony, Dell, anything. I would spend it on a dirty diaper before I gave more money to this cheapskate company. To Toshiba product designers - if you aren't kidding, or malevolently making your products this horrible, then you should find another profession.

Contacted technical support and paid $69.99, they recommended purchase recovery data at a cost of $39.99 and I paid the cost. I received the media followed the instructions and could not get it to work. Called Toshiba on the phone for hours and their support specialist could not correct the problem. I have spent more than 6 hours in total on the phone with Toshiba. I requested a refund and was told I would hear back on Monday, 3/27/17, and to date I have not received a call from Toshiba. I called Toshiba today requesting a refund and a refund specialist is suppose to get back with me today. I have received the worst service and I asked for an address to send my complaint and they have not given me anything today, 3/31/17.

This Toshiba Satellite C855 laptop is just the worst thing ever. It takes a very long time for images to open and browsing the internet is so frustrating. Never in my life another Toshiba product will trespass my doors. I hope I could send them this heat box for an analysis. Not even an '80's computer could be so slow.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

The battery on my Toshiba Satellite L55 has never lasted more than 3 hours. After 11 months, the original battery lasted only one hour. I use my computer 5 days a week, mostly with Google Docs and Slides. I NEVER have played games on this computer and access YouTube videos sparingly, for classroom purposes only. I am a teacher. I called Toshiba after the 11 months and they sent a replacement battery. That was great, until the replacement battery is down to staying charged only 90 minutes after only three months.

I called Toshiba again, but now that the laptop is out of warranty, they will not replace the replacement battery. I should have called months sooner when I first noticed the battery was lasting only a couple of hours, but it was a back burner chore to do, so I delayed. So now if I want a battery, I must order a new one for $93. When I pay $600 for a computer, I expect better service. Toshiba also does NOT offer an extended warranty or maintenance program. I will never buy Toshiba again.

Purchased a touch screen Satellite laptop in August 2016. In February the right side of the screen stopped responding to touch and a little box and circle started appearing at the centre of the bottom of the screen where the cursor started dancing around which means you cannot control the cursor. A toolbar also keeps jumping up on the screen and flashing on the screen on and off. I called the support centre where the rep came on my laptop and saw the problem. He informed me that my phone support had expired so I need to pay $150+ for phone support for a year to continue the conversation. Otherwise I will have to send back the laptop at my cost to California to be repaired. Please note that the screws also fall out of the laptop, I have to put tape over them to keep them from disappearing.

I find it very difficult to accept this service as in the past I have had warranties honoured to me in Jamaica without spending any money and done within days - I call and report the problem, and determination is made on phone and within days a Technician turns up to replace the part. Needless to say I have regretted this purchase and would never again purchase another Toshiba product.

I received a Toshiba Satellite Laptop for Christmas as a gift. The second time I opened it the touch screen developed a crack in the screen. The laptop was never dropped. I am 65 years old and very careful with computers. I contacted Toshiba. They told me that they would not cover it under warranty as the warranty had run out. The warranty was only good for 90 days as it was a refurbished laptop. However when my daughter purchased it for me as a gift, she asked about the warranty and was told and it is posted on the laptop that although the Toshiba is not new it is warranted by Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. under its standard Limited Warranty, excluding any coverage for external blemishes.

The standard warranty is one year, not 90 days. Toshiba refused to honor this warranty. In addition, the crack appeared less than 90 days from the date I received the computer as a gift. Granted it had been over 90 days from the purchase date but it was sitting in the box waiting for Christmas and unused until that time. Toshiba's Customer service stinks. When you ask to talk with a supervisor they just pass you around and you never actually ever get to talk with a supervisor.

I had to buy my son an engineering laptop for school and the guy at Best Buy recommended the Toshiba brand. We purchased this computer in August and have been given the runaround since the end of January. NEEDLESS TO SAY IT'S STILL NOT FIXED. I URGE YOU BUY ANYTHING EXCEPT TOSHIBA!!! This time around I'll spend the additional and buy a MacBook.

I purchased a Toshiba laptop a year ago which I barely used and when I used it for 3 or 4 days consecutively, it crashed on me 4 days out of warranty. I called Toshiba and they tried to troubleshoot it and couldn't. I sent it to TriStar at my expense and they replaced the hard drive. It didn't work when I got it back and had to send it to TriStar again. The third time I am still having issues and they want me to send it to TriStar again. I am refusing and demanding that they come up with another resolution and replace my laptop and they won't. I regret the day I purchased Toshiba because of this.

Purchased Toshiba laptop in 2015 as I was returning to college to complete my bachelor degree. Approximately 3 months after purchasing, laptop began shutting down completely in the middle of working on it! Took laptop to Best Buy twice for same thing! They said third time I would have to send to Toshiba. I sent laptop Toshiba said they fixed it and it was sent back! At this point it was closing in on the 1 yr warranty expiration date! Received it back and it began doing the exact same thing only 3 weeks later! Sent it again and had to argue to send it back for same problem! I still had to pay shipping! Still having issues with starting and processing very slowly! To the point I would never purchase another Toshiba product... ever!

In August 2015 I purchased a Toshiba Satellite S55-C (part number: PSPTNU-00E00M) from Staples for my daughter at college. She returned to school this January, and after owning this Toshiba product for 16 months the motherboard died. She brought the laptop to the school IT department that verified the unit wasn't damaged, that the connection where the keyboard connected was defective. The laptop would work with an external keyboard, but with limited room at the dormitory this wasn't an option. I did have a warranty for the laptop, but I thought I would try Toshiba customer service, and they were craptastic.

For only $135 I would receive a box to ship the garbage to them, they would then evaluate the issue and only charge $350 for a "refurbished" motherboard. Why refurbished, because after being manufactured for one year it was discontinued. And during the design some genius decided "Let's use a special motherboard that is a custom product, not utilized in other Toshiba products, and will be obsolete once we stop manufacturing this garbage." I then was speaking with a friend in Northern Michigan who also visited a Staples and purchased a Toshiba for his wife. Her laptop stays on her desk, is never moved yet after 13 months the hard drive failed. They also contacted Toshiba, were told the same thing and had to pay out over $250 for a new hard drive.

Toshiba offered no compensation or goodwill seeing the condition of the laptops were like new. I will never buy another one of their products, and will be happy when they go out of business. FYI, Staples did offer a $100 gift card for the aggravation which was above and beyond. They were not responsible for the product, but they understand customer service and appreciate their customers. Toshiba could learn a thing or two.

Don't buy this laptop!!! This laptop was good the first few months, then the mousepad stopped working, which I did not really mind. Then bammm it happened, the keyboard stopped working. The screen freezes here and there and my laptop would always factory reset by itself which gets really annoying when you lose all your work. I spent a lot for this laptop and I expected a good quality laptop. I really regret buying this and will not buy anything from Toshiba again. I put 1 star out of 5 because the first few months were good when this laptop still worked. Toshiba customer service sucks when you do not have a Toshiba computer repair shop nearby and only Toshiba television shops.

I bought Toshiba laptop computer at Best Buy about little more than a year ago. I've carefully used the laptop and it was on my desk all the time. I've suddenly began to see the small dots on my laptop screen(looks like dead pixels) and it wouldn't go away. I've used bought and used several different brand of laptop computers and I've never experienced this before. I would not consider buying Toshiba products in the future.

I got a Toshiba laptop in Dec. 2014 for Christmas. Not long after having it I started having issues. (wire pinching so wouldn't connect correctly) Sent it back and they said they fixed it. Worked for a while again and I had to send it back not long before my yr. warranty ran out. This was for the same issue. I asked them to send me a new laptop since this was the second time for same problem. They would not and said they fixed the problem. Just started having same problem again. Called and because warranty is out they said I would have to pay for it this time. Could not get anywhere with them. So I took it to a local computer guy. He said, "Who worked on this before because they rigid it with glue?" Couldn't believe it.

Called Toshiba again and they still will not do anything. Was told by Staples and 2 local computer guys that they don't even recommend Toshiba anymore because of their poor customer service. Cannot over $600 was spent on a laptop that only lasted 2 years with having been "fixed" twice. Do not waste your time or hard earned money on this company.

I owned a Toshiba Satellite C55-B5350 Laptop computer for 1.5 years before the motherboard failed. I took it to the computer repair shop and they determined that it was a motherboard failure, possibly the charging system on the board. This computer sat on my desk for the most part. In the past I have worked as a programmer and traveled with my computers for years and have never had a complete failure like this. Ironically, I purchased this Toshiba to replace my Dell Inspiron that was getting older, just to be safe. But now I transferred all the data back to the old Dell and it is still working fine. Neither Staples, where I purchased the computer, nor Toshiba had any interest in standing behind this product due to it being out of the 1 year warranty. I would think with as major a failure as this they would have done something to protect their brand.

My current 17" Toshiba notebook has been perfect. Good screen, great speed, all features (backlit keyboard, USB 3.0, USB charging of even an Ipad, built-in wireless and display adapters work well, and the Windows upgrades from 7 thru 10 have installed flawlessly. Could have been better only if it was free. If the feature set, memory, O/S, storage and port connections meet what you need in a Toshiba model, get it!

I have had the laptop for more than 5 years. It has been dependable and I have never had any problems with it. I like the DVD drive for watching movies, etc. I like the Toshiba laptop brand. I hope they continue to make them available with DVD drives.

I have bought 2 Toshiba laptops based on price and will never do again. The customer service is awful!!! I do not think the Toshiba company actually has a customer service division as I have never been able to reach anyone.

I have very good luck with this computer. Everything seems to work for a change without any problems. Would get another like it. This is the first computer that does not have a mind of its own and doesn't go off on tangents.

Had a Windows 10 upgrade Dec. 11 that killed my start up. This was exactly a year to the day I picked up my computer. I didn't register until a couple of days later. I had purchased Dec. 8, 2015 and it was shipped to Walmart. When I called support they told me I was out of warranty, BC they start it from the order date 12/8 not when you have in hand 12/11 or register 12/14. So the clock starts to tick days before you even open the box! They wanted me to pay them for support because it was out of warranty (not even a couple days grace period) and couldn't tell me if they could fix, just wanted money upfront. I had already done all of the recommended diagnostics. Note: I'm also a computer professional and test them for a living.

When I asked them if they suggested anything else, they said they would "walk me through it again". No thanks. Had already done several times! There is NO US call center only India and if you don't understand someone, they won't transfer you to someone else. You are told you have to call back. Generally, they were not helpful, sometimes outright rude, stuck only to a script. I had to repeat myself on multiple calls although I had a case opened. I ordered a restore disk through Toshiba.com and it mostly loaded but consistently stopped at the same place 88% after partition updates in the install. At first they refused to send me another copy, telling me it was my hard drive... Yet my drive ran the install for over 2 hours. I suspect they sent a bum file on the restore thumb drive they sent, as do the folks at Microsoft who have been great and who have also been working with me (without expecting compensation).

The Toshiba call center does not have a survey, and will not escalate issues or give you a consumer complaint dept. This tells me they are completely uninterested in customer satisfaction/feedback. All other US numbers I googled send you back to the same horrible call center. So you are in support purgatory because they are useless. Not sure if I'll get my year old laptop working again and have spent over 12 hours of my life, I'll never get back. One thing I am sure of, I will never buy a Toshiba product of any kind ever again!

Too many problems with memory and computer crashing in the middle of a job or email. Machine crashed way too often in the middle of operations. Memory filled up too fast. Desktop icons come and go for no reason.

Touchpad off center, all inputs and outputs located on sides. Needed to add 1 gig memory, had 2 and had low mem warning. 4 years and never a computer failure only virus, malware and program conflicts have interfered with operation. Battery life about 4 hours.

Just a very reliable device. I've had my laptop for over 5 years. It's been very reliable. If it were not for some self-imposed difficulties, I would've had no problems at all. It does almost everything I need it to and then some. I plan to upgrade in the near future though. Not because of any issues with my device. But because it's just time (smile). I would/will definitely recommend my Toshiba to anyone listening.

Tough, reliable and secure. My Toshiba satellite is one of the best investments made. Since 2011, was one of the best tools that a blogger / publisher can have by your side.

It a good laptop for what I use it for. If you want to play games and look at facebook it a good computer. If I had the extra money I would of like to put account app on here. Its doesn't have a lot of app for that.

It is a very user-friendly computer and their customer care is great. I like this laptop because it's easy to use. It's easy to transport and it's battery is a long life. I have never had any problems with it.

My satellite laptop is 4 months out of warranty. My LCD screen started to melt from the inside out. When I called Toshiba, my case was "escalated" and they sent me a box to send my computer for a diagnostic test. I described the burns to the Toshiba rep as a gray mark that first appeared on the screen, followed by a burn on the core case, followed by what looked like a cigarette burn. It is clearly a FIRE HAZARD! These burns occurred when the computer was plugged into an electrical outlet and the battery was at 100%.

At any rate, Toshiba just got back to me and said an external heat source caused the burn and that it would cost $161, plus to fix it! Really? I have to pay for a defective computer. They said, "Well you said a cigarette could have caused the hole!" I said, I described the hole as looking like a cigarette burn. I don't smoke and my computer is nowhere near a heat source. Toshiba will not make this wrong a right! Not good as it is clearly a fire hazard.

I am a review on behalf of a PC engineering company. We don't purchase Toshiba laptops due to the issues we have had in the past. We sell mainly Dell as we believe they are the best manufacturer out there. With on call assistants and extendable warranties. However a member of staff from one of the companies that we provide IT support for already had a Toshiba laptop. It was coming up with a hard drive fault. With the laptop still being under a year old we sent it to Toshiba as it was still in warranty. No point us pulling it apart when a Toshiba technician could still do it. As they know their system's better than we do.

We sent it off on the 20/10/2016. We received the laptop back on the 08/11/2016. We knew from the terms and condition it would take up to 21 days for the repair to be completed and returned to us. So we were ok with the 18 days it took. However when we received the laptop back and began to get it ready to go back out to the customer it would switch itself on after being shut down. We were unable to fix this issues and as this wasn't happening when we sent it off we determined this issues was caused by Toshiba.

I called to make them aware of the issue and they said I had to send it back as a new repair. I did this, and they received the laptop on the 12/11/2016. I then didn't hear from Toshiba till the 22/11/2016. They said they could find no fault with the laptop and needed more information about the issue. I responded immediate wanting to get it resolved as fast as possible. I then didn't receive a response till the 01/12/2016. I had sent 2 emails to them in that time regarding an update which weren't responded to, so I called on them to ask as to the progress of my repair only to find that none of my emails had even been read!! I prefer to send emails when it comes to complaints so I have written evidence. I was told the information about the problem was sent to the repair team.

I then got a response from Toshiba saying parts need to be ordered. At this point the laptop had been with them for over 24 days. I emailed to ask how long they should be with the repair. I didn't get a response so I called them. Only to find the replacement motherboard was out of stock and on back order. When I asked if I would get it before the new year he said he didn't think so. How can they think this is acceptable customer service? I now have a customer that hasn't been able to do any work from October till the new year. Appalling service. I don't know how they are still in business.

It's of good quality including its services and the product itself. Whenever I bought electronic I usually choose Toshiba because its quality is best, long lasting. You feel confident whenever you used these product. It is still useful even beyond its warranty period. Its features does not outmodel the other products. It can stand the test of time and remain useful even the warranty period is already expired. I bought a television and used it for ten years without undergoing any repair. Only the lightning hit it that I have to sent it to repair but after repair I still able to used it for two years before I give it out to a friend who really asking for a television because she cannot afford to buy.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Headquartered in Tokyo, Toshiba is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with roots that extend back to 1875. Now, Toshiba offers a full range of hard drives, digital storage solutions, digital displays, business solutions, laptops and tablets. Toshiba laptops are built for high-performance to keep up with numerous business applications and are available at select retailers.

• Portege Z Hybrid: Toshiba’s Portege Z Hybrid laptops are designed to combine ultrabook performance with tablet portability.
  • Portege WT20 Tablet: Toshiba’s tablet is designed for performance and business use. It is a thin tablet computer that blends portability and durability.
  • Tecra C series: The Tecra C series of laptops are all-around functional laptops designed to run basic business programs. They are designed for portability and efficiency.
  • Tecra A series: The Tecra A series of touchscreen laptops come equipped with extra power to run many different business applications.
  • Tecra Z Series: Toshiba’s Tecra Z series of laptops are designed to be durable and portable for the worker on-the-go. They are built with lightweight shock-absorbing material that keeps them from becoming cumbersome.
  • Best for Toshiba laptop computers are best for businesses and consumers who want a reliable, work performance all-around laptop.

Compare Computer Brands