3.13/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: Jan. 29, 2018

995 Toshiba Computers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I've had the Toshiba Satellite for 5 years now. It's a quad core processor with 8 cpu's. I have never had a problem with the product. Upgraded from XP to the latest release of Windows 10 without any problems. It's a real solid product.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

My older model Toshiba, Satellite L455D-S5976 is easy to use. I'm not a real techie person but this model has seen its years and remains relatively easy to figure out on the Windows 7. Even if I get something wrong, it is very forgiving. I have a newer Acer and like it too but it is locked up for some reason so I use my old standby Toshiba.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I have bought Toshibas for years and a few HPs. I have really liked everything about them. When I have had problems or questions, Toshiba has been right there for me. Whether online chat or calling, problem solved! I am due to update my laptop again, not because anything is wrong with it, but I'm downsizing from a 15" to something a bit smaller!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I have had a Toshiba Satellite S50 series laptop, which I purchased mainly because it still had a drawer for a CD as well as a port for a flash drive. I have had it for 4 years now and have no problems with it at all.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

We've had a reliable experience with Toshiba laptops. Both of our current models have survived several rough encounters and we have replaced both batteries after about 3 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Toshiba?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

The Toshiba laptop that I have is decent but I've had it for over 10 years. It works good but is not the fastest pc around. But in general Toshiba is reputable but their support sucks. If you want a decent computer for a reasonable price then I would go with a Toshiba laptop.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Have a Toshiba Satellite -- never buy any other brand. Price point is good, and they are extremely durable. Fits all my needs to a big "T." When it comes time to replace it, I'll be getting another Toshiba.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I've had my Toshiba Satellite A665 for over 5 years and the only problem with it is the keyboard had to be replaced. The speed is excellent and updates are easy to apply. Before it was purchased, I did research on the brand thru Consumer Report. It was rated "Best Buy" for the reliability and cost. I really don't have any complaints regarding this computer.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I had 1 Toshiba while my HS & college children went through HPs like nothing. The only problem I have had with Toshibas is battery and power cords not lasting.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2018

Toshiba is a good quality computer and very affordable. I liked my computer but it is somewhat heavy, so not easy to transport. Also the battery did not last, which is ok, because I keep the computer at my desk and is always plugged up.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have a Toshiba Satellite Radius p55w-b5112 and it's AWFUL. I loved the fact that it's a touch screen but I have had to have the fan replaced 3 separate times now and I have to use an external mouse because the mouse pad no longer works. I have had this computer for 1 year. I have never in my life had a crappier laptop than this one. I would not recommend this to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

Toshiba has been such a letdown and a disappointment to me. I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop last year and it has been a living nightmare. When I bought it, the headphone jack and ethernet port did not work at all. I called Toshiba and an Middle Eastern person, who could barely speak English, answered. I tried to explain my problem, but I could not understand a word he said. Eventually, I understood him to be saying that I would have to pay $30 shipping to send it in for a repair. I was very surprised that I would be charged for their mistake. I decided to wait and I called back the next day.

Again, I was stuck talking to a Middle Eastern person who COULD NOT be understood. But eventually he said that it would now be $40 for shipping. I was incredulous! I could not believe it! I was so pissed that they would try to raise the shipping price on me when they were the ones who caused this problem to begin with! Eventually I decided to do it myself, since I know what I am doing when it comes to computers. After I fixed it, I promptly sold it and vowed to myself never to buy another Toshiba product again. I wouldn't let my worst enemy buy anything made by them, much less a friend. I hope this review keeps you from making the mistake I made of purchasing a Toshiba product.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Toshiba Laptop Computer apparent manufacture defects, multi problems that Toshiba fails to take care of knowing it is hardware issue. Touch Screen mouse freezes, white circle translucent bubbles form, flash, cause mouse to freeze, touch screen freeze up - necessary to hold bottom right corner bubbles down, pull off to one side of screen then take left hand to gain control over mouse in order to go to upper right of screen to then have mouse mobile to shut down or restart.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

Toshiba Satellite S55 has been down 75% of the time in year and a half. Hard drive replaced by Toshiba twice. Video card now out. Toshiba won't replace. Says it's out of warranty. Service support online takes forever to speak with anyone. Toshiba shows no concern that their customers received their monies worth. Purchasing a Toshiba laptop is throwing money away.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Toshiba is reliable, and I have recommended it to my friends and family - it is easy to maintain, and the overall appearance is good. Keyboard is nicely sized, and there are sufficient usb ports for the various peripherals that I liberally use. I even like the built in webcam (I hated Dells). Hope this all helps.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

After my first experience with the Toshiba laptop I did not want a second one because this brand breaks easily. The keyboard is very weak, battery life does not last the full four hours, it gets heated and shuts itself off without warning.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

The Toshiba Satellite is a very nice laptop that is durable and works great. I use it on a daily basis, haven't had a problem with it at all, and recommend its purchase.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I give lower ratings on durability because it develops malfunctioning hardware. Lately, the laptop freezes up in the middle of doing work and it needs to re-booted. Quite annoying! Also, the original battery didn't last too long and had to be replaced, like within a year. While overall the laptop has delivered value, Toshiba needs to address the hardware/battery issue to better compete with other brands.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

5 years ago I had a Toshiba hard drive that crashed and I lost over 20 years worth of documents and pictures (this was before I learned to back up to other sources). I sent the defective drive back and Toshiba replaced it no questions asked. I recently had another hard drive (different brand) that crashed on me and I lost another 10 years worth of stuff (I know I should always have my stuff backed up but these were pictures of my ex and I was only saving them on a drive for my son for when he was older since it's his father).

I was recently having computer issues and needed to dump my computer so I backed everything up to 2 Toshiba hard drives. While scanning through the hard drives I found a backup file from 5 years ago. Upon clicking on the backup and installing the contents on to my computer I found EVERYTHING that I thought I lost 5 years ago! 20 years worth of files and pictures have been on my Toshiba hard drive this entire time!! I don't know how they did it but I am eternally grateful! I would highly recommend Toshiba hard drives to anyone who would ask! Thank you Toshiba, you basically saved my life and all my files from my two children that I thought were gone forever!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I've had the computer for almost 2 years now. My children purchased it for me. The assistance I received for general operating issues due to my lack of knowledge was great. Techs were patient. I've had no problems with the laptop's performance.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I purchased a Toshiba computer 2 years ago and the motherboard recently crashed. When I took it into the repair shop they said, “It was the 7th one of the same model with the same issue.” I understand it was no longer under warranty but would have expected it to last longer than 2 years. Customer care was of no use and was passed on to two different reps who gave the same robotic answers and offered no resolution. I would think that Toshiba would stand behind their products rather than hiding behind their 1 year warranty. I will never purchase another Toshiba product again.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have 2 Toshiba Laptops, same model, same purchase date. I use one for banking and paying bills and the second one for everything else. I also keep Geek Squad Support active. On average, I have to call Support or visit store twice a year. I don't know if this is normal downtime for a home computer.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

If you have a Toshiba and it had issues you should just trash it and get a HP, Dell or Lenovo. The warranty on Toshiba is the worst I have ever seen. Been in business for over 20 years and have never had trouble with warranty like with Toshiba. After you finally get them to send the part (hard drive) that needs to be replaced they will send out a used part. If the used part fails they do not want to replace it even if it is less than 3 months old. I will make sure I have any of my customers buy anything but Toshiba. With the laptop still being under warranty they finally decided to send me a second Hard Drive replacement. But you can guess what kind of drive they sent out again. Yes, it was another used drive (refurbished).

When I called to complain was told that is their standard on warranty parts. Not only do they send out refurbished drives but again I had to give them cc on file to charge me $242.00 if they do not receive the bad drive back (so they can send out to other people that need warranty parts). We are talking about a 500GB hard drive that cost $50 new. With all this said I hope everyone stops buying Toshiba laptops. Maybe then they will see how treating people wrong will affect our business.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The Toshiba Satellite Pro 50 I purchased for my son to go to college with stopped working after 5 weeks! I sought support. The only authorized dealer is 90 minutes by car from the large city he lives in. The other choice was to send the laptop to Ontario, across the country. There is no other support to solve this problem that is with a brand new laptop under warranty. They will not offer the opportunity to seek help or diagnostics at any other dealer or computer support center. There was no option or offer to send a replacement or temporary laptop for use during the time when I would not have any to use. My son is in college in another province and now has no laptop to do his work which is impacting his success. This is highly disappointing and I will NEVER ever purchase or recommend this company and their products.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Graphic card failing in this 13 month old Toshiba Satellite. Toshiba Tech support is not interested since the laptop is out of warranty. Tech I used here says that the graphics hardware (Card) is "Integrated" with the motherboard. There is no fix and I now own a $500 paperweight.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I spend my one year saving on my SAP training for this I choose Toshiba as a laptop for installation. This system neither satisfied me nor there is a setup of Toshiba in Riyadh because I need to replace its motherboard and they don't have any after sale point even no body in computer market was able to help me. I'm in deep trouble. Such a big company with rotten eggs.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Bought new Toshiba c55t-5300... 2015. Within 4 months had to replace the Toshiba hard drive, did so then it happened 2 more times. Nevertheless replaced them twice, then next the bios would not let me enter the "advanced mode" so I could change the boot order, still can't, even though I created both CD and USB boot recovery discs... They wouldn't work... Now Toshiba says I need to repair my computer "efi" but in order to get the repair disc have to send away to Japan and that going to be $50.00 for the discs. I suspect the bios gone wrong on the motherboard and the discs won't work...

Why toshiba did not include the repair discs in the box when I bought it new... What gives with that? Damn thing cost me 700 bucks, not even 2 years of use... Toshiba shame on you and I thought Japanese people were honorable people. Shame you going to put your self out of business if you keep this up, not only will you go out of business but hurt the very people that work to make Toshiba what it is today... What are you today? Inconsiderate, liars, and rude... Won't be buying your products anymore!!!

Original review: July 15, 2017

My Hard Drive died. It was a Toshiba Satellite. It had died before. When it did they lost all my stuff for me. The man who fixed it here showed me a refurbished hard drive Toshiba replaced under their warranty. Had I know they were so rotten, I would have reacted sooner to their deceptive ways. There will never ever be a Toshiba product bought by me again.

Original review: July 3, 2017

I called in 3 weeks ago to get my laptop virus free. They charged me 69$ saying they will fix the problem. 1st week they didn't finish the process. 2nd week they said they can't cause my hard drive is failing. 3rd week they said even though my hard drive is failing they can still fix it and won't refund my money. I spent 3 weeks of my only day off dealing with their non English uneducated department. Worst customer experience ever and I will be posting on all my social medias with thousand of followers to let them know not to buy Toshiba. So now I am stuck with a non working computer and $69.99 less in my bank for a new one. Thanks.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I own a Toshiba Satellite E45-C Laptop. My laptop has had a few quirks since I purchased it a year ago, putting windows that I was working on behind windows that I wasn't working on, turning the touchscreen on a number of times after I turned it off, but nothing too major till two days ago. Now whenever I unplug my computer it turns off; the battery reads fully charged but any disruption of AC power and the laptop goes dead. Today I finally had time to call tech support and the lady who barely spoke English would not tell me anything but the fact that my warranty had EXPIRED FOURTEEN DAYS AGO and for me to receive any support I would have to pay for it.

I had already explained my issue so I asked if she had any advice or I would simply need to pay up and then pay for repairs that would add up to the original cost of this glitch-filled piece of junk but she simply wanted more of my personal information and would provide no answers. The reason I didn't give any of my personal information out is because everything I have read on the internet indicated it was an unfixable problem. Of course that unfixable problem came directly after the warranty expired. I WILL NEVER BUY A TOSHIBA AGAIN.

Toshiba expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Headquartered in Tokyo, Toshiba is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation with roots that extend back to 1875. Now, Toshiba offers a full range of hard drives, digital storage solutions, digital displays, business solutions, laptops and tablets. Toshiba laptops are built for high-performance to keep up with numerous business applications and are available at select retailers.

• Portege Z Hybrid: Toshiba’s Portege Z Hybrid laptops are designed to combine ultrabook performance with tablet portability.

• Portege WT20 Tablet: Toshiba’s tablet is designed for performance and business use. It is a thin tablet computer that blends portability and durability.

• Tecra C series: The Tecra C series of laptops are all-around functional laptops designed to run basic business programs. They are designed for portability and efficiency.

• Tecra A series: The Tecra A series of touchscreen laptops come equipped with extra power to run many different business applications.

• Tecra Z Series: Toshiba’s Tecra Z series of laptops are designed to be durable and portable for the worker on-the-go. They are built with lightweight shock-absorbing material that keeps them from becoming cumbersome.

• Best for: Toshiba laptop computers are best for businesses and consumers who want a reliable, work performance all-around laptop.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs