1.00/5
  • 1 star
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 12, 2017

46 Seagate Technology Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I received a 5TB external hard drive as a Christmas gift last year to save travel pictures on. It took several contacts to tech support to get the software to load on my old computer. Their warranty says one year for the box itself and 3 years for the connector plug to the power source. When I tried to add new pictures about a month ago (about 10 months into owning the external hard drive), the box couldn't get power because the metal part to insert into the box was loose. I tried to get a new cord from Seagate since the hard drive was very expensive and the cord and box were still supposed to be under warranty, but they "don't carry them... Go find one from somewhere else" and said the warranty was only for 3 months (I had only used the cord ONCE). I wrote a few more emails and eventually got a response that they'd send me a new cord, but it never arrived. Big scam, worthless and expensive piece of garbage.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Less than 3 weeks old 1TB drive stopped working. Very very bad product, even worse service. No reason for malfunction of drive, something is wrong with their products and they are really bad quality. Would never put any important information on them. Customer service is useless.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I ordered a new 1TB hard disk from eBay and it went dead after a few months usage. When I asked for replacement they sent me a refurbished one because as per them if a hard disk gets damaged before three months then only new replacement is possible. So I used the refurbished hard disk for some days and again problems started and when I checked through Seagate tools it showed irreparable errors in long generic test. I went some 90 kms again to submit that hard drive. After few days I again received a refurbished one and this time on the first day of long generic test it failed. I am tired with the replacement procedures. I suggest others not to get trapped with Seagate.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

My Seagate Plus external hard disk crashed. I contacted Seagate and after many emails back and forth I learned that they will charge me about 600 dollars to recover my saved data. It is very disappointing that Seagate takes advantage of consumers. They do not stand for their products and I will never again buy anything from Seagate.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Seagate would not stand behind product. This is the third senate drive that I have ever had fail. I have had Western Digital USB drives that have been HEAVILY used that are over 4-5 years old. This one was very lightly used and it is already failing. It's primary purpose was storage of iTunes library and backup of my main system drive on Apple TimeCapsule. Thank GOD it was not a primary drive. I am just an endpoint consumer who is disabled. My computer is my only recreation, and as a consumer products should last. What bothered me the most is that the representative that I talked to made no effort to offer a replacement at a reduced cost or do anything that would half-way appease me. It would have been nice to have it replaced by their warranty, but that was not the case here... However a discount on a new drive would have went a long way to establishing brand loyalty.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Seagate Technology?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

2017: bought 2 Seagates this year (1TB in March & a 3TB in August). A short time after each purchase I registered them with Seagate and then went online to purchase 3 year recover plan for each one. This week (mid August 2017) one lost files so I spoke to recovery (I live in the U.K. and they are based in Holland) only to be told that as I did not attach the recovery plan to each external then I was not covered - consequence I have just kissed two $14.99 payments good-bye! - Forgot to add that before learning that I had been passed to 5 different departments and repeated myself 5 times -- note to myself must buy a parrot if I intend to speak with Seagate again.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I purchased Seagate Plus portable device one month ago. Now it's not working. I have backed up files entrusting I'd never have a problem. Wrong. I see Seagate want $49 and $650 to recover data. Wow! So their product doesn't perform and now they want around $700 to get my files I scanned and backed up!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

My Seagate Backup Portable Plus crashed after only 6 months of careful use. Their website gave me no information regarding whether or not file recovery was covered under my warranty. It took me forever to actually find a number to call support. I had go through at least 6 automated prompts to get on a line, and then I waited for 10 minutes and a representative never came available.

Original review: June 4, 2017

My Seagate external hard drive failed before a year was up. Seagate Recovery Services, a service of Seagate Technology, promised a 3 week turnaround but took nearly 6 months. During that time communication was nearly impossible and extremely poor. At the end, very little was recovered. I lost nearly everything (this was my back-up) and paid full price. During the initial conversation I was told that I should expect an external hard drive to fail. When I asked how many backups I should have, I was told "Oh, 4 or 5..." Use Seagate products at your own risk. Avoid Recovery Services at all costs. You have been warned. This is an unprofessional and unreliable company.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Unfortunately I have purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drive. This failed so I downloaded the software they offer to try to recover files. I saw that they required a license and since I felt the company was reputable, paid for the Technical license. Got an immediate response and my account was immediately charged the $299 fee. Great. Not so great. The key they sent me does not work and after multiple calls to the service group, they could not find my purchase on the first and the second, they said they would have to look further into the issue. Not giving me any satisfaction, I canceled the order. I now have to wait up to seven days to get the funds sent back. This appears to be a scam. No solution, just have to discard the drives and lose the data. Bad Company to do business with.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I bought an external Seagate Slim Backup Plus on January 13, 2017. It started to go bad on May 12-13, 2017. May 16, 2017 (today) the drive has become almost completely inaccessible. I believe the problem is the PCB Bridge Chip. My drive's light will come on for about 5 to 10 seconds before shutting off, and the platters within keep rotating. Seatools cannot find the drive at all when trying to run it. I have tried this drive on 2 different versions of Windows and a version of Linux without success - the latter to see if it was indeed a Windows issue.

Expecting consumers to supply the packaging for warranty returns with no option to be sent the packaging or to not have nearby service centers is bad business practice. My original box had to be tossed due to apartment issues. Seagate needs to get their act together. Salespeople buy these things, so I'm quite surprised that Seagate is still in business because it's a little hard to sell a product you cannot believe in due to a high failure rate. I would have gone with the brand my mom uses had my College sold that brand - I'm well versed in this stuff. My mother bought another brand of External HDD around 2006 and it still works.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I had a tekkie friend build my gaming computer. He chose a Seagate hard drive because it was "a better value". It failed after the first month. A warranty replacement was sent. It failed after an hour. That's 100% failure rate for me. It was either not packaged for transport properly (and was damaged during transit) or a cheaply made hard drive, or both. The replacement was shipped from China. I am writing this review to let people know that you cannot trust a Seagate hard drive so don't buy one. After reading other reviews I see that I am not alone. We need a support group!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I just purchased a 3TB SATA Internal HDD Model STB3000100 hard drive and when attempting to partition it I'm only offered 800 meg of space. So I downloaded the DiscWizard software. It didn't do any good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I bought Seagate Backup Plus a while ago. 3TB. After using it one year or so, it show I cannot use anymore as it is asking me to reformat. I tried Seagate recovery software. It was displayed that it can recover files, but asking me to buy the software for a hundred bucks in order to recover files. I will not buy Seagate product anymore in the future. I don't recommend it at all.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Hello, I bought two Seagate ext. HD 1TB yesterday (19th Dec) in Curry's PC World in Tottenham Ct Road. I only saw the 'headline' price of £46.99 and it was not until I got to the 'til to pay did they explain that I have to make a claim for the cashback. But they did not say I have to wait 30 days to do this - that appeared for the first time on the receipt which I read when I got home a day later and looking at Seagate's website it is described as a 'Reward'. There was no mention on the shelf what 'cashback' really means and there is a minimum 30 day delay to realize this.

This is a very dubious, at best distasteful, and at worst others might say this is some sort of financial scam. Curry's and Seagate are using the public as a loan facility and making us remember to go to the cashback claim website - not immediately (why not? It is because they will invest our money and prosper further). It is grossly misleading and distasteful. Most consumers would rather pay the lowest prices at the point of sale than have to claim a 'Reward' (they are insulting consumers' intelligence!). Imagine if everyone started doing this.

I should add PC World charged me the higher of two prices displayed for the same item - they then had to give me a refund, presumably that will be after a delay too. Curry's and Seagate are bringing themselves into disrepute through this promotion (there may be many more). I will not purchase another product from Seagate/Curry's in the future and hope others will reflect on with whom they wish to do business with too. Where has integrity in business gone?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

Over the past 5 years, I have owned 3 Seagates all of which stopped working within 12 months. This week, it happened WHILE I was working on a file that was saved on the disk. I didn't have a chance to back up this particular disk and essentially lost 5 years of vital data... but here is where it gets interesting. This time I decided to call their tech support to find out why their hardware keeps failing. The Seagate rep, Mr. Faycal ** said, "I don't trust hard drives. They are not reliant." Then proceeded to try to sell their "data recovery services" for $800. Every tech I spoke with couldn't explain the reason for the hardware failure... I didn't drop/damage it, it didn't get wet or too hot... etc. It simply quit. I had my entire IT team working on it with no success.

TO ME, it feels like this company is building subpar hardware knowing their consumers may not be discipline enough to always back up and data and thus be in a vulnerable position to purchase their data recovery services. If this is the case, is this any different than some kind of ransomware holding your important data ransom until you pay??? If I pay $100+ for an external drive, why do they CONSISTENTLY stop working within 12 months?? I think agencies should look into this so consumers can be protected and not fall into their trap.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I just had a Seagate external drive crash on me out of nowhere for no reason. Never been dropped and has sit undisturbed since I got it. Used it as storage for all of my videos, photos, and projects. Luckily I did have a backup but there was a lot that was not back up in time. I sent it off to a data recovery company and paying $800 to get my data back. They said that Seagates are the most common brand they have to deal with for the same reasons and have a very short and unexpected shelf life. Never again will I trust a Seagate product. Nor should you. Remember to have multiple backups and to back them up frequently.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I recently purchase a Seagate external hard drive for mac. Now I plugged it in, and the options don't make sense - it talks about uploading to the cloud, but I don't need an external hard drive for that. I tried to find help online, but it did not recognize the serial number. Seems this doesn't work at all.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Seagate BackUp Plus 2Tb drives are not fit for the purpose. Drive #1 bought 7 April 2014 so I could backup data and reinstall the Windows system on my PC, this drive failed 12 September 2014 and 1.7Tb of data was lost! Drive #2 received 10 October 2014 failed 29 February 16. Drive #3 received 8 March 2016 D.O.A.! Drive #4 received 17 March 2016 initially tested and set aside as I didn't trust it. I recently the purchase of a TV with USB recording and thought I would try using the drive with this. It was connected in 16 September and was faulty on 17 September!! All the drives have had the same fault - the SATA - USB3 interface failing.

The drives themselves work and pass SeaTools, unfortunately when the interface fails it corrupts the data and partition tables on the drive so reliable recovery is impossible (In an external dock Windows reported an un-formatted drive with 2 partitions one RAW and one unallocated) Recovery software tried to save 1.7Tb data from a 700Gb partition giving thousands of numeric files all of them gibberish. Currently Seagate support have responded saying my drive is now out of warranty. I'll re-use the drive in a 3rd party enclosure. I will never buy or recommend Seagate products. I'll stick to the likes of WD as I have one of their 300Gb drives that's been on continuously for over 8 years and hasn't given any problems.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I purchased a Seagate portable drive a year and a half ago. The point of these drives is to store your information for a long time. On this drive are all the photos of my recently passed grandma, and all the videos from her 90th birthday party. To Seagate a drive not working may not seem like a huge deal. It is covered under warranty still so they agreed to replace it. But what happens to the data on it. Well... I have had three quotes from data recovery specialists and all have quoted upwards of $250. I paid less for the drive itself. I am furious that the company have not taken responsibility and covered the cost of recovering the file which if they had decent products would be lost in the first place.

Just before finishing my phone call to their support centre I inquired how long a drive should last. How long is the expected life span of one of you hard drives? The point is they last a long while to store my data until I need it again. Well he said there was no expected life. Basically it's a good thing they have a three-year warranty because they don't have any projected lifespan for the devices. Solid business plan Seagate. They have lost a customer and they will continue to lose them as I will tell everyone I know how dodgy this company is.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2016

I have just purchased this drive a few days ago. Immediately there was an issue with opening the drive's application, as it would lead to a non-existing website. Since Seagate support is only available during work hrs and I am too busy working, I have emailed the support query with my issue. They got back to me, saying they could not understand what the issue was. So I took time off work in order to reach them and the automatic response was that the support services are closed due to the company meeting (??), i.e. no human is available to talk to. Since I've bought it on Amazon, I am returning the device, as it is becoming obvious to me that this is 1 giant consumer rip off scheme.

Original review: July 28, 2016

I purchased a WD Passport with a Seagate Data recovery. When it came time to use this warranty Seagate made this the most impossible thing to do. First it took endless amounts of phone calls to just open the claim. Once opened I sent my drive off and expressed to them that I needed ALL the drive back so that I could send it to WD for a new drive after. They said that would be done. Nothing was recovered. Fine. I got the drive back and not ALL of it was there. The outer black shell was not included. This means that I now can't even send it to WD to get a new drive! When I called Seagate about this I of course got passed off from staff member to staff member, all of which could do nothing about it. So because of Seagate I had 0 data recovered, 0 drive replacement (they nulled my warranty with WD) 0 help and 0 support. This is the worst company ever! I work in tech and will never deal with seagate or anything to do with them again.

Original review: July 21, 2016

About 2 years ago my desktop hard drive was replaced with Seagate hard drive by Hands On Computer Repair service from Grand Prairie, Texas. I have hardly used this computer past 2 years because I was not satisfied with noise it was making. I have taken back to computer repair shop and was told everything was fine. It was just a fan making a noise. It still bother me and I did not used it since I have an iPad.

Well just recently I have to print some documents so I turned this computer and was unable to connect to Windows so I finally take it to another computer repair shop and told that my hard drive was no good. Contacted Seagate and appealed for their 3-year warranty but was told that I must go thru shop purchased the item.

So I go back to Hands On Computer Repair Shop, but they will not stand by their service because it has been 2 years (bad customer service). I informed them of 3-year warranty and convinced them to get it exchanged for replacement. I will probably get another bad one but I want them (Seagate and Hands On Computer Repair Shop) to go through the motion to stand by their service or at least make effort to fix the problem. If they replaced something with warranty then they should stand by it not like I told them I want a full refund. I am asking for refund on hard drive or replacement. I am upset with both Seagate and Hands On Computer Repair Shop for poor customer service. Bad customer service all the way around. I give both only 1 star!!!

Original review: June 16, 2016

I purchased 2 1TB Backup Plus disc back in 2014, and we used them to store our photos. However, I found that couple months ago that both disk lost its data without any reason. Those disks are used so less often that I don't see any reason they are broken already. When I search on internet I found that Seagate offers their software recovery plan, which cost $99. I think this is a total rip off. If there is a software recovery that is available to these default Seagate disks they should be made available to all customers. Also, it seems like I'm not the only victim here since lots of the people complained about this disk. I'm very curious why there is not a class action suit already.

Original review: May 31, 2016

I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB from Best Buy. It may have worked once or twice but it doesn't anymore. It was so new that it still had the plastic on it. I finally took it to Best Buy and they took it to the back. They came out 2 minutes later and said "it doesn't work." I asked "why?" and the clerk said, "it's a Seagate." Since then I only buy WD Passport and never had a problem. I've searched for online help from Seagate or even postings on trouble shooting it and there is absolutely nothing. Now I have to throw away a new 1 TB hard drive. I will never buy a Seagate product again.

Original review: April 15, 2016

We purchased a Seagate backup drive (serial: **) not even 2 years ago. We saved pictures taken over the last 10 years of our lives and in preparation to our wedding we realized that the drive was broken. We called the company and they told us that data recovery will cost us a $599 or $699 after a $50 diagnosis.We thought the price tag was a bit much considering it is a $100 device so we took it to a local repair shop that diagnosed it with a mechanical failure so couldn't actually worked on it, as this is a manufacturing flaw.

Today (4/15/16) I called back to check if the warranty would cover it since it is a mechanical failure and they said no. We relied on this product to save our life memories and just like that they were held ransom with no other alternatives. How's that fair? How is that the mechanics of a device advertised as a "safe" place to keep your data size to work, due to mechanical failures, and there is no other alternative other than paying $599 or $600?

Original review: April 6, 2016

Hard drive inoperable. 50 dollars to open a case and 550 to recover data and put on new hard drive that will probably crash again! No responsibility for their product. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! WHEN IT DIES YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

I purchased a 1 TB external hard drive in 2008. Early 2009 the drive failed to operate. I purchased another Seagate 2 TB external hard drive. Because of the failure of the first drive when I saw the WD external portable drive available, I purchased one of those. I backed everything up from the large Seagate drive. I purchased two more WD portable drives - and I also purchased a 2 TB portable drive model SRD00F1. In less than 1 1/2 years the portable drive has now failed. WDs are working perfectly - the large external isn't being used for fear it will fail but I have backed it up for that very reason.

Seagate has offered NO support to recover the data. Is this their way of making money on desperate consumers who need their data and depended on them to offer a good product to protect and backup their data? This is a total RIP OFF. Why is nothing being done to force this company to stand behind their products and the data recovery? Does anyone think that the consumer is intentionally (or unintentionally) destroying the data retrieval process/ability?!? Has ANYONE had any luck working with Seagate?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

I had connected by Seagate drive to my Smart TV. The drive was not identified by the Smart TV. Further to my horror, when I connected the drive to my PC, the data was not accessible on my PC. The PC could just not identify the drive. When I try to recover the data with the software from the Seagate site, I was told that I will need to pay US$ 99 for the license of the data recovery software!!!

This is a high handed approach by Seagate!!! Seagate has not made their drives robust. The data is not accessible for the slightest reason and then they want to charge me for the data that is on the drive that I have paid for. They should have recovered the data for free as their drive did not work. I can understand if there is a physical damage and the data is lost, but for flimsy reasons the data is not accessible. It shows up in data recovery packages but I need to pay more than the cost of the drive to recover!!! I am amazed at the same. It seems Seagate does not care for its brand name and just wants to make a quick buck!!!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2015

I bought a Seagate 3 terabyte and it lasted 2 months. When I went to Best Buy to have them try and save the information, they wanted to charge me. Seagate wants $500 to salvage the material I lost. If it breaks in less than a year, they should be required to salvage the material for free. I bought it with the idea it would work and be dependable.

The hard drive should last at least two years. The last few have lasted barely a year or less. If you need dependable back-up, this is not for you. It should come with a warning to buy two so when one crashes, the other will be there. I'm pasting what Seagate sent me. They charge a lot to retrieve information and guess what I discovered? Forty percent of Seagate hard drives crash in less than a year.

Seagate Technology Company Information