Seagate Technology

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased Seagate Plus portable device one month ago. Now it's not working. I have backed up files entrusting I'd never have a problem. Wrong. I see Seagate want $49 and $650 to recover data. Wow! So their product doesn't perform and now they want around $700 to get my files I scanned and backed up!!!

My Seagate Backup Portable Plus crashed after only 6 months of careful use. Their website gave me no information regarding whether or not file recovery was covered under my warranty. It took me forever to actually find a number to call support. I had go through at least 6 automated prompts to get on a line, and then I waited for 10 minutes and a representative never came available.

My Seagate external hard drive failed before a year was up. Seagate Recovery Services, a service of Seagate Technology, promised a 3 week turnaround but took nearly 6 months. During that time communication was nearly impossible and extremely poor. At the end, very little was recovered. I lost nearly everything (this was my back-up) and paid full price. During the initial conversation I was told that I should expect an external hard drive to fail. When I asked how many backups I should have, I was told "Oh, 4 or 5..." Use Seagate products at your own risk. Avoid Recovery Services at all costs. You have been warned. This is an unprofessional and unreliable company.

Unfortunately I have purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drive. This failed so I downloaded the software they offer to try to recover files. I saw that they required a license and since I felt the company was reputable, paid for the Technical license. Got an immediate response and my account was immediately charged the $299 fee. Great. Not so great. The key they sent me does not work and after multiple calls to the service group, they could not find my purchase on the first and the second, they said they would have to look further into the issue. Not giving me any satisfaction, I canceled the order. I now have to wait up to seven days to get the funds sent back. This appears to be a scam. No solution, just have to discard the drives and lose the data. Bad Company to do business with.

I bought an external Seagate Slim Backup Plus on January 13, 2017. It started to go bad on May 12-13, 2017. May 16, 2017 (today) the drive has become almost completely inaccessible. I believe the problem is the PCB Bridge Chip. My drive's light will come on for about 5 to 10 seconds before shutting off, and the platters within keep rotating. Seatools cannot find the drive at all when trying to run it. I have tried this drive on 2 different versions of Windows and a version of Linux without success - the latter to see if it was indeed a Windows issue.

Expecting consumers to supply the packaging for warranty returns with no option to be sent the packaging or to not have nearby service centers is bad business practice. My original box had to be tossed due to apartment issues. Seagate needs to get their act together. Salespeople buy these things, so I'm quite surprised that Seagate is still in business because it's a little hard to sell a product you cannot believe in due to a high failure rate. I would have gone with the brand my mom uses had my College sold that brand - I'm well versed in this stuff. My mother bought another brand of External HDD around 2006 and it still works.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Seagate Technology?

I had a tekkie friend build my gaming computer. He chose a Seagate hard drive because it was "a better value". It failed after the first month. A warranty replacement was sent. It failed after an hour. That's 100% failure rate for me. It was either not packaged for transport properly (and was damaged during transit) or a cheaply made hard drive, or both. The replacement was shipped from China. I am writing this review to let people know that you cannot trust a Seagate hard drive so don't buy one. After reading other reviews I see that I am not alone. We need a support group!

I just purchased a 3TB SATA Internal HDD Model STB3000100 hard drive and when attempting to partition it I'm only offered 800 meg of space. So I downloaded the DiscWizard software. It didn't do any good.

I bought Seagate Backup Plus a while ago. 3TB. After using it one year or so, it show I cannot use anymore as it is asking me to reformat. I tried Seagate recovery software. It was displayed that it can recover files, but asking me to buy the software for a hundred bucks in order to recover files. I will not buy Seagate product anymore in the future. I don't recommend it at all.

Hello, I bought two Seagate ext. HD 1TB yesterday (19th Dec) in Curry's PC World in Tottenham Ct Road. I only saw the 'headline' price of £46.99 and it was not until I got to the 'til to pay did they explain that I have to make a claim for the cashback. But they did not say I have to wait 30 days to do this - that appeared for the first time on the receipt which I read when I got home a day later and looking at Seagate's website it is described as a 'Reward'. There was no mention on the shelf what 'cashback' really means and there is a minimum 30 day delay to realize this.

This is a very dubious, at best distasteful, and at worst others might say this is some sort of financial scam. Curry's and Seagate are using the public as a loan facility and making us remember to go to the cashback claim website - not immediately (why not? It is because they will invest our money and prosper further). It is grossly misleading and distasteful. Most consumers would rather pay the lowest prices at the point of sale than have to claim a 'Reward' (they are insulting consumers' intelligence!). Imagine if everyone started doing this.

I should add PC World charged me the higher of two prices displayed for the same item - they then had to give me a refund, presumably that will be after a delay too. Curry's and Seagate are bringing themselves into disrepute through this promotion (there may be many more). I will not purchase another product from Seagate/Curry's in the future and hope others will reflect on with whom they wish to do business with too. Where has integrity in business gone?

Over the past 5 years, I have owned 3 Seagates all of which stopped working within 12 months. This week, it happened WHILE I was working on a file that was saved on the disk. I didn't have a chance to back up this particular disk and essentially lost 5 years of vital data... but here is where it gets interesting. This time I decided to call their tech support to find out why their hardware keeps failing. The Seagate rep, Mr. Faycal ** said, "I don't trust hard drives. They are not reliant." Then proceeded to try to sell their "data recovery services" for $800. Every tech I spoke with couldn't explain the reason for the hardware failure... I didn't drop/damage it, it didn't get wet or too hot... etc. It simply quit. I had my entire IT team working on it with no success.

TO ME, it feels like this company is building subpar hardware knowing their consumers may not be discipline enough to always back up and data and thus be in a vulnerable position to purchase their data recovery services. If this is the case, is this any different than some kind of ransomware holding your important data ransom until you pay??? If I pay $100+ for an external drive, why do they CONSISTENTLY stop working within 12 months?? I think agencies should look into this so consumers can be protected and not fall into their trap.

I just had a Seagate external drive crash on me out of nowhere for no reason. Never been dropped and has sit undisturbed since I got it. Used it as storage for all of my videos, photos, and projects. Luckily I did have a backup but there was a lot that was not back up in time. I sent it off to a data recovery company and paying $800 to get my data back. They said that Seagates are the most common brand they have to deal with for the same reasons and have a very short and unexpected shelf life. Never again will I trust a Seagate product. Nor should you. Remember to have multiple backups and to back them up frequently.

I recently purchase a Seagate external hard drive for mac. Now I plugged it in, and the options don't make sense - it talks about uploading to the cloud, but I don't need an external hard drive for that. I tried to find help online, but it did not recognize the serial number. Seems this doesn't work at all.

Seagate BackUp Plus 2Tb drives are not fit for the purpose. Drive #1 bought 7 April 2014 so I could backup data and reinstall the Windows system on my PC, this drive failed 12 September 2014 and 1.7Tb of data was lost! Drive #2 received 10 October 2014 failed 29 February 16. Drive #3 received 8 March 2016 D.O.A.! Drive #4 received 17 March 2016 initially tested and set aside as I didn't trust it. I recently the purchase of a TV with USB recording and thought I would try using the drive with this. It was connected in 16 September and was faulty on 17 September!! All the drives have had the same fault - the SATA - USB3 interface failing.

The drives themselves work and pass SeaTools, unfortunately when the interface fails it corrupts the data and partition tables on the drive so reliable recovery is impossible (In an external dock Windows reported an un-formatted drive with 2 partitions one RAW and one unallocated) Recovery software tried to save 1.7Tb data from a 700Gb partition giving thousands of numeric files all of them gibberish. Currently Seagate support have responded saying my drive is now out of warranty. I'll re-use the drive in a 3rd party enclosure. I will never buy or recommend Seagate products. I'll stick to the likes of WD as I have one of their 300Gb drives that's been on continuously for over 8 years and hasn't given any problems.

I purchased a Seagate portable drive a year and a half ago. The point of these drives is to store your information for a long time. On this drive are all the photos of my recently passed grandma, and all the videos from her 90th birthday party. To Seagate a drive not working may not seem like a huge deal. It is covered under warranty still so they agreed to replace it. But what happens to the data on it. Well... I have had three quotes from data recovery specialists and all have quoted upwards of $250. I paid less for the drive itself. I am furious that the company have not taken responsibility and covered the cost of recovering the file which if they had decent products would be lost in the first place.

Just before finishing my phone call to their support centre I inquired how long a drive should last. How long is the expected life span of one of you hard drives? The point is they last a long while to store my data until I need it again. Well he said there was no expected life. Basically it's a good thing they have a three-year warranty because they don't have any projected lifespan for the devices. Solid business plan Seagate. They have lost a customer and they will continue to lose them as I will tell everyone I know how dodgy this company is.

I have just purchased this drive a few days ago. Immediately there was an issue with opening the drive's application, as it would lead to a non-existing website. Since Seagate support is only available during work hrs and I am too busy working, I have emailed the support query with my issue. They got back to me, saying they could not understand what the issue was. So I took time off work in order to reach them and the automatic response was that the support services are closed due to the company meeting (??), i.e. no human is available to talk to. Since I've bought it on Amazon, I am returning the device, as it is becoming obvious to me that this is 1 giant consumer rip off scheme.

I purchased a WD Passport with a Seagate Data recovery. When it came time to use this warranty Seagate made this the most impossible thing to do. First it took endless amounts of phone calls to just open the claim. Once opened I sent my drive off and expressed to them that I needed ALL the drive back so that I could send it to WD for a new drive after. They said that would be done. Nothing was recovered. Fine. I got the drive back and not ALL of it was there. The outer black shell was not included. This means that I now can't even send it to WD to get a new drive! When I called Seagate about this I of course got passed off from staff member to staff member, all of which could do nothing about it. So because of Seagate I had 0 data recovered, 0 drive replacement (they nulled my warranty with WD) 0 help and 0 support. This is the worst company ever! I work in tech and will never deal with seagate or anything to do with them again.

About 2 years ago my desktop hard drive was replaced with Seagate hard drive by Hands On Computer Repair service from Grand Prairie, Texas. I have hardly used this computer past 2 years because I was not satisfied with noise it was making. I have taken back to computer repair shop and was told everything was fine. It was just a fan making a noise. It still bother me and I did not used it since I have an iPad.

Well just recently I have to print some documents so I turned this computer and was unable to connect to Windows so I finally take it to another computer repair shop and told that my hard drive was no good. Contacted Seagate and appealed for their 3-year warranty but was told that I must go thru shop purchased the item.

So I go back to Hands On Computer Repair Shop, but they will not stand by their service because it has been 2 years (bad customer service). I informed them of 3-year warranty and convinced them to get it exchanged for replacement. I will probably get another bad one but I want them (Seagate and Hands On Computer Repair Shop) to go through the motion to stand by their service or at least make effort to fix the problem. If they replaced something with warranty then they should stand by it not like I told them I want a full refund. I am asking for refund on hard drive or replacement. I am upset with both Seagate and Hands On Computer Repair Shop for poor customer service. Bad customer service all the way around. I give both only 1 star!!!

I purchased 2 1TB Backup Plus disc back in 2014, and we used them to store our photos. However, I found that couple months ago that both disk lost its data without any reason. Those disks are used so less often that I don't see any reason they are broken already. When I search on internet I found that Seagate offers their software recovery plan, which cost $99. I think this is a total rip off. If there is a software recovery that is available to these default Seagate disks they should be made available to all customers. Also, it seems like I'm not the only victim here since lots of the people complained about this disk. I'm very curious why there is not a class action suit already.

I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB from Best Buy. It may have worked once or twice but it doesn't anymore. It was so new that it still had the plastic on it. I finally took it to Best Buy and they took it to the back. They came out 2 minutes later and said "it doesn't work." I asked "why?" and the clerk said, "it's a Seagate." Since then I only buy WD Passport and never had a problem. I've searched for online help from Seagate or even postings on trouble shooting it and there is absolutely nothing. Now I have to throw away a new 1 TB hard drive. I will never buy a Seagate product again.

We purchased a Seagate backup drive (serial: **) not even 2 years ago. We saved pictures taken over the last 10 years of our lives and in preparation to our wedding we realized that the drive was broken. We called the company and they told us that data recovery will cost us a $599 or $699 after a $50 diagnosis.We thought the price tag was a bit much considering it is a $100 device so we took it to a local repair shop that diagnosed it with a mechanical failure so couldn't actually worked on it, as this is a manufacturing flaw.

Today (4/15/16) I called back to check if the warranty would cover it since it is a mechanical failure and they said no. We relied on this product to save our life memories and just like that they were held ransom with no other alternatives. How's that fair? How is that the mechanics of a device advertised as a "safe" place to keep your data size to work, due to mechanical failures, and there is no other alternative other than paying $599 or $600?

Hard drive inoperable. 50 dollars to open a case and 550 to recover data and put on new hard drive that will probably crash again! No responsibility for their product. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT! WHEN IT DIES YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!

I purchased a 1 TB external hard drive in 2008. Early 2009 the drive failed to operate. I purchased another Seagate 2 TB external hard drive. Because of the failure of the first drive when I saw the WD external portable drive available, I purchased one of those. I backed everything up from the large Seagate drive. I purchased two more WD portable drives - and I also purchased a 2 TB portable drive model SRD00F1. In less than 1 1/2 years the portable drive has now failed. WDs are working perfectly - the large external isn't being used for fear it will fail but I have backed it up for that very reason.

Seagate has offered NO support to recover the data. Is this their way of making money on desperate consumers who need their data and depended on them to offer a good product to protect and backup their data? This is a total RIP OFF. Why is nothing being done to force this company to stand behind their products and the data recovery? Does anyone think that the consumer is intentionally (or unintentionally) destroying the data retrieval process/ability?!? Has ANYONE had any luck working with Seagate?

I had connected by Seagate drive to my Smart TV. The drive was not identified by the Smart TV. Further to my horror, when I connected the drive to my PC, the data was not accessible on my PC. The PC could just not identify the drive. When I try to recover the data with the software from the Seagate site, I was told that I will need to pay US$ 99 for the license of the data recovery software!!!

This is a high handed approach by Seagate!!! Seagate has not made their drives robust. The data is not accessible for the slightest reason and then they want to charge me for the data that is on the drive that I have paid for. They should have recovered the data for free as their drive did not work. I can understand if there is a physical damage and the data is lost, but for flimsy reasons the data is not accessible. It shows up in data recovery packages but I need to pay more than the cost of the drive to recover!!! I am amazed at the same. It seems Seagate does not care for its brand name and just wants to make a quick buck!!!

I bought a Seagate 3 terabyte and it lasted 2 months. When I went to Best Buy to have them try and save the information, they wanted to charge me. Seagate wants $500 to salvage the material I lost. If it breaks in less than a year, they should be required to salvage the material for free. I bought it with the idea it would work and be dependable.

The hard drive should last at least two years. The last few have lasted barely a year or less. If you need dependable back-up, this is not for you. It should come with a warning to buy two so when one crashes, the other will be there. I'm pasting what Seagate sent me. They charge a lot to retrieve information and guess what I discovered? Forty percent of Seagate hard drives crash in less than a year.

I have a GoFlex for Mac and I'm having an encryption issue. It asks for the password and I entered it several times. It wouldn't show up on the desktop, either. I contacted Seagate and the man kept repeatedly telling me about Apple's new rules. I've had this problem before 10.9.4 and it popped up with Snow Leopard as well. It says to enter the "Seagate Password" specifically. I showed the support guy the screenshots as well. (He claimed that he couldn't get them and had to have them sent to him.) Not only did I keep getting the same speech, he denied that there's a security option from Seagate. He's never heard of it, it doesn't exist and the only thing he can do is erase.

This is ridiculous, it's not a OS issue and I've had this problem long before the current version exists. The issue isn't about the drive not popping up, it's about being told that what I'm saying isn't true, despite proof. Passing the buck to Apple repeatedly when Apple wasn't to blame for this problem every single other time is stupid. They don't even have a decent form to complain to. I clicked on email and they had this tiny little form that I could barely address the issue in. I wrote the issue in as much detail as I could, but I never plan on using Seagate products again.

I purchased a Seagate Expansion 1 TB portable external hard drive on 11/12/12. I purchased a Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB portable external hard drive on 2/9/13. I purchased the Backup Plus as back-up for the portable, which to that date had been working. Both drives, containing important data, ceased to be recognized on any of my computers early in March of 2013, with the result that my data had become inaccessible. I initiated a support case with Seagate Technology on 3/9/13, requesting recovery of my data. Since that time, I have had back-and-forth e-mail contact with various Seagate employees during which I was offered replacement of the defective drives but no recovery of my data unless I chose to purchase additional data recovery services from Seagate.

The employee with whom I've had the most recent contact is Bryce **, CRT Administrator, at Seagate Technology (405-324-3257 www.seagate.com). The reason given by Seagate for refusing to provide data recovery at no additional cost is that the warranty for these drives explicitly excludes data recovery. In other words, Seagate claims to have no responsibility for restoration of data lost as a result of drives becoming defective during the warranty period and instead, offers to sell recovery services at additional cost to customers; this despite the fact that the sole purpose of those drives is the containment of data that the customer can retrieve as needed. If the drive ceases to function, it is no longer just the hardware which is lost to the customer, but also the data it contains.

After considerable research online, including review of Amazon.com comments, I discovered that my experience with Seagate drives is far from unique. One person noted in her complaint that Seagate was in essence holding her data hostage! I thought that was rather well put. In fairness to Seagate customer service, I was given, after several exchanges, a key to its self-service recovery program, for which Seagate normally charges $99. I was given the key free of charge. But the program did not work in part because of its technologically advanced terminology, and I was not given the additional help I requested in order to understand the program, other than being sent a users' guide which was more like a guide for a technician than for a lay person!

I had no choice but to have my data recovered by a reputable professional data recovery service, Datatech Labs (via Microcenter Computer and Electronics), and I have requested reimbursement for the cost of that recovery from Seagate. Seagate claims that it is not within its power to grant that request, again giving the wording of its warranty as reason. Instead, Seagate was now offering me larger capacity replacement drives, completely ignoring my comments to the effect that by reason of my experience with Seagate drives to date, I have no reason to trust any replacements they might send me.

I am checking out New York State law concerning the validity of Seagate's warranty since it limits its responsibility to replacement of the hardware even though it is also the data, and not just the drive, that is no longer available to the customer. Some states have laws disallowing product warranties that exclude compensation for consequential damage. I'm hoping New York State is one of them. If that is so, I would have a basis for a suit against Seagate Technology. In any case, I suggest that Seagate be given a wide berth by folks looking for external hard drives.

I bought a Seagate external hard drive and when I downloaded it, there was an array of harmful programs: Error expert v1.5. Easy Software Solutions hard drive. I had RegWorks from Macao. Some of these registered as dangerous on my Web of Trust-WOT. This Seagate external hard drive was corrupted. I had to uninstall all this bad stuff.

I bought an HP computer with a Seagate hard drive in November 2008. Suddenly, in January 2011, my computer says no more hard drive. I did a search on HP and I found issues with Seagate hard drives. Of course, when I registered my computer, they want all the information. But did I get an urgent email warning of the defective hard drive? No. I also learned from Seagate's website that they knew that the hard drive was defective. So, I am writing to ask if they could at least get my data recovered--that's all I want. "Sure," they said, for $700-$2,500. Apparently, they sell a bad part to HP, who installs it and then sells it. As a result, I lost all my data, emails, everything--even valuable pictures.

The BlackArmor external hard drive was purchased for the security and protection of my audio recording business. Files failed and apparently, the $160.00 that was paid for the drive features for keeping data safe is a waste. Tech support only offered for first 30 days? They promise to keep the data safe then charge $200 and up to recover? No available work round options to try. Passwords chosen don't work. Maxtor BlackArmor first, but the entire Seagate corporation is as worthless as the so-called "tech support" they offer!

Using the BlackArmor for backup, I was doing a fresh install of Windows XP Pro so I backed up all my important files to this beautiful, fancy, good for nothing paperweight. After wiping my C drive clean and doing the installs, restoring the files from the Maxtor was supposed to be "a sure thing". Well, the drive wasn't even detected after my password was typed in and now the con artists want me to pay their recommended data recovery service to get my music and audio data (which was to be used for financial gains through several movie soundtracks, radio commercials and voice over contracts. Not to mention the artists who used to use my studio and location for their recording venue).

This company has set a new and much higher bar for ripoff business practices. There has to be something done about this type of outfit ripping off Americans through overcharging for faulty products and then being able to either sell our work back to us or worse, steal it outright for their own benefit. $3000 plus hours of very hard and tedious work has been wasted, as well as the loss of income sustained by not being able to finalize any contracts without a finished product to offer my customers. Then the issue of having to redo all lost work and beg clients not to seek other audio engineering services. This has been an absolute nightmare!

They sold me a defective hard drive and I lost a lot of irreplaceable data. I checked to see if I could at least have my product replaced and their website said it was under warranty and I should send it in. So I sent it in, completely intact, other than what was wrong on the inside. I got it back weeks later and the back was ripped off. I called the warranty branch and they accused me of doing that damage to the product and said they wouldn't replace it. I did no such thing. I suspect them of doing the damage to avoid replacement. I lost 100's of pictures from my school trip to China, music and other documents and the cost of the product.

Seagate Technology Company Profile