1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 10, 2018

56 Seagate Technology Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 10, 2018

This is not a company who stands behind their products. I am trying to return a defective Game Drive. The product lasted a few weeks before it crashed. I went online to return the product. Turns out I have to pay to ship the Game Drive back to them. If that's not bad enough, the instructions on how to return the product are 20 pages long. I'm not kidding - 20 pages on how to return this piece of **. Can't wait to see these people go out of business.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I purchased a Seagate Technology external drive to back up important files. When there is an issue with their product which has the sole purpose to serve as a backup device, I have to pay $79 to recover the files from the device. Again, the sole purpose of this product is to serve as a backup device. Yet when there is an issue with their product, I am to pay another $79? This is nearly the cost of a new device. So I will lose years of files that I used their product to back up so I would not lose. How is this not extortion? What a joke!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I'm forever going to swear off buying anything from Seagate. I used this 5 TB drive (Model SRD0NF2) for all of 1+ months (enough to go past Amazon's return period) before it just suddenly died. The worst part about all this is that I have to repay the return shipping for this defective POS. Isn't this supposed to be covered under the warranty?! That's likely to run at least $25 counting all the insurance and package delivery confirmation they mention to add on to the return. I should've known this Amazon deal was too good to be true.

Original review: March 29, 2018

After this third Seagate product I've used, all 3 have failed with hardly any use and no reasonable fees to recover the data. The organization lives off the recovery costs, not on selling a solid technical product that lasts.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I wanted to say how disappointed I am with Seagate experience. Horrible!!! They are scammers when it comes to retrieving data. Not only they charge a lot of money, they mislead you on the services they are providing. They are impolite when it comes to customer service. I sent them my hard drive to retrieve the data I lost. They contacted me back to say they found it. When I asked them if it was the data I was looking for, they said they don't know for sure. How can I pay them $650.00 not being sure they retrieved the data I need it. They sent me back a piece of metal whats left from my hard drive, and I cannot use it now at all. I lost everything. Stay away from them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Seagate Technology?

Original review: March 2, 2018

We are user of a Seagate central NAS, i.e. on the network backup system, that we had to use its very purpose to restore our data. It took several days and hours of expert support to try to get the information, at a random and massively problematic duplication, with now 2 months into the process trying to recover. Not only that the software failed but also the hardware failed as well, only recognize that the unit as actually a recertified, printed on the unit in black over black with a very tiny prints, hence was used before. Next we got another Seagate ultra thin 1TB that failed on day 2, to find out that, that was also recertified and used before. On the upside, their support personnel are superb in handling stuff and knowledge.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

Two external hard drives I got from Seagate crashed. The first one I bought for school. I needed a lot of space to save a ton of projects for my degree. About midway through the semester my hard drive started making noises, shortly afterwards it crashed. The cord that came with it had been loose since I first got it, but I thought it was supposed to be like that. (It was my first external hard drive.) I ended up losing EVERYTHING. Needless to say I was highly upset and beyond angry. I had TONS of assignments and projects on there that I had to turn in but had to redo. All that stuff also needed to go into my professional portfolio. My product was still under warranty so I called them for a replacement.

By this time I had already started a new semester and wasn't in that particular class anymore so I didn't need to save as much and need as much backup as before, So I just set it aside for a later date for later use. 2 days ago my computer was running low on space so I decided to begin transferring all my pictures and stuff to the external drive. As I was transferring the data the computer shifted and the hard drive fell onto my table, which was only inches away. It immediately started making a beeping noise. I was hoping that my data was safe since I was planning on transferring everything to a cloud at a later date. When I went to look at the drive, for the first time I noticed it said "Recertified" on it.

It didn't even stand out. It was engraved small letters and blended right in. I wasn't familiar with the term so I looked it up. It basically said that it was refurbished and very likely that a customer returned it for repair. At this point I was furious. I was sent a product that had been used, repaired for some issue and sent back out. No wonder when it barely dropped it stopped working. It probably knocked something loose that was barely working anyway. AND I had to pay shipping and handling for them to send me an empty box so I could package it correctly and return it. This is a very cheap product and I will not be purchasing any more Seagate products anymore. My product is still under warranty so even if I try to return and place it, I will most likely get another refurbished drive and pay shipping and handling for their cheap quality, reused product.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I will no longer be purchasing any Seagate products for personal or studio use. I currently have had two Seagate laptop hard drives fail (not the issue, these things happen) and when attempting to use the warranty return process, have discovered that Seagate has changed their policy from having the replacement drives shipped first and the faulty drives sent in return to a 'premium service' at cost of $29.95 USD per drive. Their 'standard' option now requires the faulty drives to be sent prior to replacement, at a shipping and (very specific) packaging expense to the consumer. Neither of these are satisfactory. If a company makes a faulty product, it is their responsibility to cover the costs on returning and replacing the faulty product if covered by warranty.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I originally bought the SEAGATE 4tb backup drive over a year ago and it stopped working within a week, I have since been shipped 4 refurbished replacements. None of which worked after about a week. The best response I have received is the latest when attempting to replace the latest failure (each time at my expense shipping the drive back). I was told the drive is out of warranty and I could go and buy more warranty. (I am at about $180 for this drive so far). After hours of emails and arguing they are going to send me another one. If this doesn't work I am honestly just going to give up and move on with my life except for posting this review: Seagate clearly has no standards for quality. I will NEVER buy a SEAGATE drive again, and I STRONGLY recommend you stay away from this company. It is the single worst technology purchase and experience I have ever had in over 30 years of working with computers.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

Bought a Firecuda for the wife to expand her PlayStation 4 storage. There are mixed reviews about Seagate brand drives and after hours of digging, I picked one up anyway. Seagate makes junk. After 4 months the drive died. I haven't bothered to see if there is a factory warranty because, a pattern in the reviews given is, Seagate customer service is not known for professional excellence. I figured if it does die, I'll take the hit.

Most negative reviews are true. The drives have a short life span and Seagate make a off with your money. I'd like to see them reprimanded for their gross negligence in quality control. According to a major news source about hard disks, Seagate has had a failure rate of 35+% in 2017. This gives credence to the negative reviews given on Seagate retailer websites. I'm not normally offended, but this is pretty insulting. I just bought an 80.00 paper weight. Conclusion: Seagate has a poor reputation. Find a different brand of drive.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2017

I received a 5TB external hard drive as a Christmas gift last year to save travel pictures on. It took several contacts to tech support to get the software to load on my old computer. Their warranty says one year for the box itself and 3 years for the connector plug to the power source. When I tried to add new pictures about a month ago (about 10 months into owning the external hard drive), the box couldn't get power because the metal part to insert into the box was loose. I tried to get a new cord from Seagate since the hard drive was very expensive and the cord and box were still supposed to be under warranty, but they "don't carry them... Go find one from somewhere else" and said the warranty was only for 3 months (I had only used the cord ONCE). I wrote a few more emails and eventually got a response that they'd send me a new cord, but it never arrived. Big scam, worthless and expensive piece of garbage.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Less than 3 weeks old 1TB drive stopped working. Very very bad product, even worse service. No reason for malfunction of drive, something is wrong with their products and they are really bad quality. Would never put any important information on them. Customer service is useless.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I ordered a new 1TB hard disk from eBay and it went dead after a few months usage. When I asked for replacement they sent me a refurbished one because as per them if a hard disk gets damaged before three months then only new replacement is possible. So I used the refurbished hard disk for some days and again problems started and when I checked through Seagate tools it showed irreparable errors in long generic test. I went some 90 kms again to submit that hard drive. After few days I again received a refurbished one and this time on the first day of long generic test it failed. I am tired with the replacement procedures. I suggest others not to get trapped with Seagate.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

My Seagate Plus external hard disk crashed. I contacted Seagate and after many emails back and forth I learned that they will charge me about 600 dollars to recover my saved data. It is very disappointing that Seagate takes advantage of consumers. They do not stand for their products and I will never again buy anything from Seagate.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Seagate would not stand behind product. This is the third senate drive that I have ever had fail. I have had Western Digital USB drives that have been HEAVILY used that are over 4-5 years old. This one was very lightly used and it is already failing. It's primary purpose was storage of iTunes library and backup of my main system drive on Apple TimeCapsule. Thank GOD it was not a primary drive. I am just an endpoint consumer who is disabled. My computer is my only recreation, and as a consumer products should last. What bothered me the most is that the representative that I talked to made no effort to offer a replacement at a reduced cost or do anything that would half-way appease me. It would have been nice to have it replaced by their warranty, but that was not the case here... However a discount on a new drive would have went a long way to establishing brand loyalty.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

2017: bought 2 Seagates this year (1TB in March & a 3TB in August). A short time after each purchase I registered them with Seagate and then went online to purchase 3 year recover plan for each one. This week (mid August 2017) one lost files so I spoke to recovery (I live in the U.K. and they are based in Holland) only to be told that as I did not attach the recovery plan to each external then I was not covered - consequence I have just kissed two $14.99 payments good-bye! - Forgot to add that before learning that I had been passed to 5 different departments and repeated myself 5 times -- note to myself must buy a parrot if I intend to speak with Seagate again.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I purchased Seagate Plus portable device one month ago. Now it's not working. I have backed up files entrusting I'd never have a problem. Wrong. I see Seagate want $49 and $650 to recover data. Wow! So their product doesn't perform and now they want around $700 to get my files I scanned and backed up!!!

Original review: June 21, 2017

My Seagate Backup Portable Plus crashed after only 6 months of careful use. Their website gave me no information regarding whether or not file recovery was covered under my warranty. It took me forever to actually find a number to call support. I had go through at least 6 automated prompts to get on a line, and then I waited for 10 minutes and a representative never came available.

Original review: June 4, 2017

My Seagate external hard drive failed before a year was up. Seagate Recovery Services, a service of Seagate Technology, promised a 3 week turnaround but took nearly 6 months. During that time communication was nearly impossible and extremely poor. At the end, very little was recovered. I lost nearly everything (this was my back-up) and paid full price. During the initial conversation I was told that I should expect an external hard drive to fail. When I asked how many backups I should have, I was told "Oh, 4 or 5..." Use Seagate products at your own risk. Avoid Recovery Services at all costs. You have been warned. This is an unprofessional and unreliable company.

Original review: May 17, 2017

Unfortunately I have purchased a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 drive. This failed so I downloaded the software they offer to try to recover files. I saw that they required a license and since I felt the company was reputable, paid for the Technical license. Got an immediate response and my account was immediately charged the $299 fee. Great. Not so great. The key they sent me does not work and after multiple calls to the service group, they could not find my purchase on the first and the second, they said they would have to look further into the issue. Not giving me any satisfaction, I canceled the order. I now have to wait up to seven days to get the funds sent back. This appears to be a scam. No solution, just have to discard the drives and lose the data. Bad Company to do business with.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I bought an external Seagate Slim Backup Plus on January 13, 2017. It started to go bad on May 12-13, 2017. May 16, 2017 (today) the drive has become almost completely inaccessible. I believe the problem is the PCB Bridge Chip. My drive's light will come on for about 5 to 10 seconds before shutting off, and the platters within keep rotating. Seatools cannot find the drive at all when trying to run it. I have tried this drive on 2 different versions of Windows and a version of Linux without success - the latter to see if it was indeed a Windows issue.

Expecting consumers to supply the packaging for warranty returns with no option to be sent the packaging or to not have nearby service centers is bad business practice. My original box had to be tossed due to apartment issues. Seagate needs to get their act together. Salespeople buy these things, so I'm quite surprised that Seagate is still in business because it's a little hard to sell a product you cannot believe in due to a high failure rate. I would have gone with the brand my mom uses had my College sold that brand - I'm well versed in this stuff. My mother bought another brand of External HDD around 2006 and it still works.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I had a tekkie friend build my gaming computer. He chose a Seagate hard drive because it was "a better value". It failed after the first month. A warranty replacement was sent. It failed after an hour. That's 100% failure rate for me. It was either not packaged for transport properly (and was damaged during transit) or a cheaply made hard drive, or both. The replacement was shipped from China. I am writing this review to let people know that you cannot trust a Seagate hard drive so don't buy one. After reading other reviews I see that I am not alone. We need a support group!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I just purchased a 3TB SATA Internal HDD Model STB3000100 hard drive and when attempting to partition it I'm only offered 800 meg of space. So I downloaded the DiscWizard software. It didn't do any good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

I bought Seagate Backup Plus a while ago. 3TB. After using it one year or so, it show I cannot use anymore as it is asking me to reformat. I tried Seagate recovery software. It was displayed that it can recover files, but asking me to buy the software for a hundred bucks in order to recover files. I will not buy Seagate product anymore in the future. I don't recommend it at all.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Hello, I bought two Seagate ext. HD 1TB yesterday (19th Dec) in Curry's PC World in Tottenham Ct Road. I only saw the 'headline' price of £46.99 and it was not until I got to the 'til to pay did they explain that I have to make a claim for the cashback. But they did not say I have to wait 30 days to do this - that appeared for the first time on the receipt which I read when I got home a day later and looking at Seagate's website it is described as a 'Reward'. There was no mention on the shelf what 'cashback' really means and there is a minimum 30 day delay to realize this.

This is a very dubious, at best distasteful, and at worst others might say this is some sort of financial scam. Curry's and Seagate are using the public as a loan facility and making us remember to go to the cashback claim website - not immediately (why not? It is because they will invest our money and prosper further). It is grossly misleading and distasteful. Most consumers would rather pay the lowest prices at the point of sale than have to claim a 'Reward' (they are insulting consumers' intelligence!). Imagine if everyone started doing this.

I should add PC World charged me the higher of two prices displayed for the same item - they then had to give me a refund, presumably that will be after a delay too. Curry's and Seagate are bringing themselves into disrepute through this promotion (there may be many more). I will not purchase another product from Seagate/Curry's in the future and hope others will reflect on with whom they wish to do business with too. Where has integrity in business gone?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2016

Over the past 5 years, I have owned 3 Seagates all of which stopped working within 12 months. This week, it happened WHILE I was working on a file that was saved on the disk. I didn't have a chance to back up this particular disk and essentially lost 5 years of vital data... but here is where it gets interesting. This time I decided to call their tech support to find out why their hardware keeps failing. The Seagate rep, Mr. Faycal ** said, "I don't trust hard drives. They are not reliant." Then proceeded to try to sell their "data recovery services" for $800. Every tech I spoke with couldn't explain the reason for the hardware failure... I didn't drop/damage it, it didn't get wet or too hot... etc. It simply quit. I had my entire IT team working on it with no success.

TO ME, it feels like this company is building subpar hardware knowing their consumers may not be discipline enough to always back up and data and thus be in a vulnerable position to purchase their data recovery services. If this is the case, is this any different than some kind of ransomware holding your important data ransom until you pay??? If I pay $100+ for an external drive, why do they CONSISTENTLY stop working within 12 months?? I think agencies should look into this so consumers can be protected and not fall into their trap.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2016

I just had a Seagate external drive crash on me out of nowhere for no reason. Never been dropped and has sit undisturbed since I got it. Used it as storage for all of my videos, photos, and projects. Luckily I did have a backup but there was a lot that was not back up in time. I sent it off to a data recovery company and paying $800 to get my data back. They said that Seagates are the most common brand they have to deal with for the same reasons and have a very short and unexpected shelf life. Never again will I trust a Seagate product. Nor should you. Remember to have multiple backups and to back them up frequently.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2016

I recently purchase a Seagate external hard drive for mac. Now I plugged it in, and the options don't make sense - it talks about uploading to the cloud, but I don't need an external hard drive for that. I tried to find help online, but it did not recognize the serial number. Seems this doesn't work at all.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Seagate BackUp Plus 2Tb drives are not fit for the purpose. Drive #1 bought 7 April 2014 so I could backup data and reinstall the Windows system on my PC, this drive failed 12 September 2014 and 1.7Tb of data was lost! Drive #2 received 10 October 2014 failed 29 February 16. Drive #3 received 8 March 2016 D.O.A.! Drive #4 received 17 March 2016 initially tested and set aside as I didn't trust it. I recently the purchase of a TV with USB recording and thought I would try using the drive with this. It was connected in 16 September and was faulty on 17 September!! All the drives have had the same fault - the SATA - USB3 interface failing.

The drives themselves work and pass SeaTools, unfortunately when the interface fails it corrupts the data and partition tables on the drive so reliable recovery is impossible (In an external dock Windows reported an un-formatted drive with 2 partitions one RAW and one unallocated) Recovery software tried to save 1.7Tb data from a 700Gb partition giving thousands of numeric files all of them gibberish. Currently Seagate support have responded saying my drive is now out of warranty. I'll re-use the drive in a 3rd party enclosure. I will never buy or recommend Seagate products. I'll stick to the likes of WD as I have one of their 300Gb drives that's been on continuously for over 8 years and hasn't given any problems.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I purchased a Seagate portable drive a year and a half ago. The point of these drives is to store your information for a long time. On this drive are all the photos of my recently passed grandma, and all the videos from her 90th birthday party. To Seagate a drive not working may not seem like a huge deal. It is covered under warranty still so they agreed to replace it. But what happens to the data on it. Well... I have had three quotes from data recovery specialists and all have quoted upwards of $250. I paid less for the drive itself. I am furious that the company have not taken responsibility and covered the cost of recovering the file which if they had decent products would be lost in the first place.

Just before finishing my phone call to their support centre I inquired how long a drive should last. How long is the expected life span of one of you hard drives? The point is they last a long while to store my data until I need it again. Well he said there was no expected life. Basically it's a good thing they have a three-year warranty because they don't have any projected lifespan for the devices. Solid business plan Seagate. They have lost a customer and they will continue to lose them as I will tell everyone I know how dodgy this company is.

Seagate Technology Company Information