Nvidia

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've always had the pleasure of owning laptops that have Nvidia on them and they've always been great. My current laptop has a GE Force GT520M Cuda (1 Gig) and it has never let me down, save for a couple of very rare instances. About 90% of games I've installed have worked, with some exceptions that are probably not the fault of my video card. The graphics are always smooth and there are hardly any crashes that occur. On the other hand, our other laptop has an AMD Radeon whose specs are about the same as my laptop's Cuda, and it is incompatible with ALMOST ALL of our games. It's been a frustrating experience trying to install games in that laptop since many of them just don't seem to work. Whether it be PC games or emulators, it just flat-out sucks. When I finally get to buy a new laptop, you all know which video card I'll be looking for. Can't wait to play new games with a high-powered Nvidia powering them.

GTX TITAN X Nvidia will not honor warranty. Beware before you buy Nvidia cards. There is no phone support for Nvidia, only emails or online chat. Representative are very rude. I have a card that's less than a year old with 3 year warranty but they did not want to honor it and the only answer I am getting is that they don't want to RMA it with any explanation why. So I know I will never buy from them again. EVGA and Gigabyte have much better support and were very helpful trying to help me even though the card was from Nvidia. So my recommendation is STAY AWAY FROM NVIDIA BUILD CARDS. If you not sure look at the box.

I am using a Sony Vaio vgn-sz670fn and I am having problems running it in the speed mode. In this mode, the PC displays weird characters and thick-colored lines, then overheats and shuts down. After researching about this problem, I found out that the GPU (NVidia GeForce go 8400m) has caused problems to hundreds of PC buyers because it was NVidia's fault. Also, I read that a class action suit had been filed against NVidia and final settlement was going to happen in Dec 2010. Can I get my GPU replaced, or get a working laptop?

P.S. The images are not mine but they reflect the exact problem I am having.

Nvidia's Optimus technology allows laptops and mobile devices to save power by turning off their dedicated graphics chips and relying on a less powerful (and less power-hungry) graphics chip for most common tasks. While the technology has been on the runway for over a year, and there have been rumors of Nvidia working on a solution since last September. The commitment level is hardly an acceptable response from a company with hundreds of millions in revenue and a company that recently received the finger from Linus Torvalds.

Optimus is not supported on Linux without a software hack, generously provided in the form of Bumblebee. Like all hacks, it's unreliable, relatively difficult to implement, and does not offer a total solution to the problem. This means that laptops using Optimus have relatively poor power management, incomplete 3D support, and an overall tricky user experience for Linux users, who represent a fast increasing component of PC users. In 2002, the top distribution of Linux on distribution had 473 daily hits on Distrowatch.com. In 2013 that number is well over 3000. Nvidia still gives us only proprietary drivers that frequently have support issues on the latest hardware and in the case of Optimus, abandonment thus far.

The FOSS community has reached out to Nvidia time and time again. There are efforts to provide open source drivers through the Nouveau project. It has been proven time and time again that when companies provide some open source code, such as in the case of Atheros chips from Qualcomm, the FOSS community will respond with proper support for these devices and essentially eliminate the burden of driver maintenance altogether. We would gladly fix the bugs with closed or open source drivers. The bottom line is, we want to solve problems instead of waiting on Nvidia. If Nvidia will not release any parts of their driver code open source under some license, then they have a responsibility to provide proper Linux support.

Arguments about commercial viability have no merit anymore. Valve's experience with increased performance on Linux and their commitment to the Steam-Box are clear examples of the turning tide towards Linux desktops becoming a major player as a software platform. The utter disaster that is Windows 8, complete with a 40GB+ minimum installation size and a Frankenstein interface with no user choice, clearly shows that Windows' decline will continue. Mac and OSX have clearly demonstrated that platform strength is not a barrier to competition when the user experience is amenable to new user adoption. Nvidia is arguably one of the primary reasons why Linux on desktops is sometimes a difficult proposition and requires skilled user intervention to get basic services working.

Nvidia's legacy of bad Linux support runs deep. Nvidia's proprietary Linux driver installers are anything but simple to operate in conjunction with any Linux package manager besides maybe Yum and Aptitude. The proprietary installer is written with the philosophy of explicitly supporting several system layouts instead of detecting, as every other application that needs to use these resources on Linux seems to do, the location of libGL.so for example. The result is a temporarily broken system and some fiddling around with symlinks to either revert to a managed installation or clean up after the proprietary installer. In all cases, this can be done by inspecting which file was missing and correcting the symlink. FOSS provides ample support for locating files on Linux, but these tools are not provided with the installer package.

Nvidia is a company whose ignorance has been pointed out and whose willful arrogance towards the entire FOSS ecosystem is against its own financial interest. Nvidia as a hardware manufacturer is currently in a squeeze between increased chip integration, the consequent omission of discrete graphics chips, and entrenched OS and CPU vendors such as Windows and Intel who want nothing more than to scorch the competitive landscape to a barren wasteland. Failing to support Linux properly, given their access to the code and the relative charity of the FOSS community, is completely intolerable. It is apparent that the only thing that Nvidia might react to is consistent, strong reprehension from users and consumers. The cost in hours of support from Linux maintainers for Linux users is untold. The cost in lost users, the headaches of being unable to use 3D software, and the dead ends encountered by Nouveau developers are a tragedy of human capital. When will this company do the sensible, socially responsible, and financially essential task of hiring some well-known and totally willing FOSS maintainers, giving them access to the source code, and letting them provide proper Linux support?

I bought a computer many years ago, looking at 3-4 years. Two years ago it broke down, specifically the graphics card. I just found out that this is the NVIDIA GeForce 8400m GS, which I also now know is the one recalled 2 years or so ago. I don't know if there is something else I can do about this or not. If there is and you can help me, that would be wonderful. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nvidia?

My Dell XPS 1530m which has a Nvidia graphics card fried my computer. It was not cheap and I was never informed of any class action law suit despite being registered. I want it replaced. It was not cheap.

My husband purchased a Dell XPS laptop for me on Valentine's Day 2009. I started having screen problems in May 2011. It started with rainbow colors on the screen, then the white screen of death, and finally just a black screen all in a span of 4 months. We have just found out about the problems with this particular model laptop and the subsequent class action lawsuit, which closed March 2011. If Dell knew of all the problems with this laptop, why didn't they inform us or offer the extended warranty to us?

Even with the numerous phone calls between Dell and my husband and I, Dell still has not told us of the problems with these screens. They did emphatically tell me that they can assure me that my problem is not with the motherboard or video card and that I likely needed a new screen. Well, needless to say, a new screen did not resolve the problem. How can I bring action against Dell or try to join in the class action lawsuit? Dell should be told to stop selling this model until they resolve the issue with nvidia and overheating.

I have a 5yr old hp dv2125 with an nvidia geforce 6150 which exhibited display problems, no display specifically, during the first month. I had it repaired by HP and was able to use it for another 10 months. The issue reoccurred right after my warranty expired, so I brought it in to a local tech which cost me $150 for the repair. The issue got fixed when they replaced the graphics card with the same model. It worked for another 3 months and the no display issue reoccurred. We later found out that this was an issue with nvidia video cards. We gave it another shot and took it back to the technician which cost another $150. That's $300 which was less than this laptop's worth. They had the laptop at their facility for a while for burn tests saying that the laptop kept on failing them. I got it back after weeks and it worked fine after a few weeks. That was when I gave up on having it fixed.

Years later, we googled the issue and found out that there was a legal claim for this. Apparently all laptops with this video card were affected with the same no display issue. I called hp and was informed that the claim ended. But we were never notified, despite the fact that the laptop was registered and that hp had all our details. The announcement was released years after its purchase so there should be at least some attempt to reach affected customers. Otherwise, the claim should not have an expiration. HP also told me to retrieve the claim from Nvidia since it was the defective product but when I checked nvidia's site, the claim ended last March 2011. Can you please provide me the details on how I can go about this issue? Thank you.

I went to turn on the Dell XPS 17 M1530 one morning but the screen was black. I took it into a computer shop and they said the graphics card needed to be replaced. I just read the post about Nvidia's faulty graphic cards. I just paid $589.83 to have a new video card put in it because the GeForce 8700M GT went out. So are you saying that there's a lawsuit and you can file complaints about the faulty hardware? May I get refunded because I had the exact same graphics card placed back in the PC? I was completely unaware of this issue. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I just read that Nvidia was found guilty on a class action lawsuit concerning damaged PCs. I had a new laptop that was ruined by a graphics card. I have a computer repair statement blaming problem on issues with Nvidia, laptop software Windows Vista, and HP laptop. I didn't know of the class action suit, and I want to join the action. I would like my laptop PC repaired or replaced.

I was a class member who submitted a claim in the NVIDIA GPU Lawsuit/Settlement. My Dell XPS M1530 was one of the models with the faulty NVIDIA video processors. This laptop cost me $1500 from Dell and the processor did go out which resulted in a totally black screen that doesn't light up or do anything when turned on. I filled out the claim form and submitted it online as soon as I found out about the lawsuit. I sent in documentation, called the number given for the settlement administrator 3 times, and wrote 2 follow-up letters to the settlement administrator. I have never received any communication back from the lawsuit or had my Dell laptop NVIDIA video processor replaced as they promised.

The lawyers and settlement administrator received a lot of money to repair/replace these laptops but they did not follow through with fixing mine. The NVIDIA settlement administrator never responded to any of my written documents, claim, or letters I wrote. What can I do to get this laptop fixed or replaced? The video processor was faulty and the Dell XPS M1530 was not a cheap laptop to buy. So basically, I'm out of laptop while the administrators and lawyers, ect. profit from the settlement and don't keep their end of the bargain. I was entitled to having the video processor replaced but they totally disregarded my claim form, my receipts for the Dell XPS M1530, and all my correspondence for replacement.

Failing Nvidia GPU chipset:

The reason for this issue is because the Nvidia GPU used in the majority of these cases are soldered to the mainboard using very weak unleaded solder and eventually with heat break away from the motherboard. The process of repairing them is what is called a "reflow" process. I do offer these services for $75 a laptop and offer a 30-day money back guarantee on my services. I would require you to ship the computer both ways also. I am an A+ Certified computer hardware technician with 5 years of experience in laptop GPU repair. You can reach me at ** if you are interested in this repair.

The display goes bad due to Nvidia graphic card. I have HP dv6599eo and it is my personal computer. Everything works very well, but there are no graphics-- only some bad colors.

I am using Windows 7. I talked to some experts about this problem. They said that I should replace with a new motherboard for my laptop, but it will cost a lot to me.

This is a copy of my email from the courts. I was left out with thousands of other of this lawsuit for lack of contact. On December 20, 2010, the Court issued Final Approval for The NVIDIAGPU Litigation. (See Docket Item No. **.)As this objection has been filed subsequent to the Courts issuance of Final Approval, the Court finds that Class Members objections should be properly directed to the Claims Administrator of the Settlement or to counsel for the respective parties.

(1) The Claims Administrator can be contacted at: Rosenthal & Company LLC75 Rowland Way, Suite 250Novato, and CA 94945 (2) Counsel for the respective parties can be contacted at: Class Counsel: Defendants: Jeff S. ** Robert P. ** LLP Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP One California Plaza 405 Howard Street300 S. Grand Avenue, Suite 3900 San Francisco, CA94105

Date: 04/01/2011 04:47 PM Subject: NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Claim Inquiry (See Docket Item No. 319) (So it was presumed to be delivered.) I never received a postcard and have owned the same home for years. I guess the third party handling the claims did not following all the proper protocol. They said they only had to email the claimant about the settlement; no US mail follow up was required: Section 6.4 of the settlement states that Members of the Class shall receive direct notice from the Administrator either: (1) By US Mail, or (2)Email to be followed by US mail in the event notice is unsuccessful.

I guess when I did not get the email you should have notified me by mail? I will once again contact the courts and notify them that you the claims administrator has neglected to contact the class to file their claims. What will you do with all the funds from the Class that you don’t have to pay out to the rightful claimants, why is it we have class actions when the class is not paid their share of the payout?

My HP just went out due to the GPU and I have been trying to get someone to fix it and was just told of this lawsuit. What can I do as my HP DV7 is only three years old and HP did not help direct me to this situation even after they were asked of it?

We have an NVIDIA graphics card (8400M) in our Sony laptop computer. We have had to get it replaced 3 times since this problem came to light. Now, the forth card is going on this same computer. The graphics card is now failing. It started with lines on the screens and then the gamma appears to go out of whack. If we continue to use this computer, it will fail after a while.

You published an article back in December ( https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/10/nvidia-settles-faulty-processor-suit-dell-hp-compaq-mac.html).

Not sure if you are aware that NVIDIA, contrary to the court approved settlement language, is trying to send out sub par products to all HP class members.

Dissatisfied HP class member has created a new site (**) and obtained the Center for Class Action Fairness to seek fair remedy from the court.

It would be great if you can do a follow up article and mention our (non-profit) site so that other HP class members are aware of the situation.

We only have about a week before the filing so please hurry.

The ruling specifically states alike model will be the replacement, yet the information provided on the site appears to contradict this. It states that a Compaq CQ50 will be the replacement computer for HP/Compaq class computers. In one place, it states that this will be the only replacement; in another, it indicates it is a replacement for most models in the class. The court documentation clearly states that alike or similar replacement model will be provided. Well, not wanting to screw myself out of a decent computer, I decided to call them to question the replacement.

They were adamant that the judge had approved this Compaq computer. When questioned further as to where that was in the court ruling and documents, I was directed to more info on the site. Well, turns out the court documents seem to support the information we were initially given; that it should be alike or similar model. I'm not a rocket scientist, but tell me how a 15.6" Compaq would be similar to an HP DV9310US with a 17" screen and high-end audio? To me there is no similarity in the two.

I understand there is an issue with certain video graphic cards made by Nvidia. I don't know if my card is affected by this problem, but my screen display will not work, displays a blank screen, and I cannot use my laptop.

I just spent $120 for Windows 7 upgrade. All was working well for two weeks, then the screen suddenly went out during routine use.

I wish to be contacted, especially if there is a class action lawsuit against Nvidia. I have HP Pavilion dv6449us with Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 video graphic card with shared memory. I am in a clutch now, wasted money on new Windows, and no laptop to use.

Display does not work and the video card overheated.

I have heard of class action lawsuits against Asus and/or Nvidia for faulty graphics cards. I bought my laptop from Best Buy and it is an ASUS UX50V with a Nvidia GeForce G105M graphics card and I can't update the graphics card at all. It never has worked since I have had the computer and they keep asking me to send it in for repair without answering any of my questions or every attempting to listen to my problem.

I want to sue Nvidia, Asus, Best Buy, whoever is legally responsible for putting/selling me this defective graphics card without telling me/issuing a recall. I have had this computer for nearly 7 months trying to resolve this issue on my own but I guess it's time for some legal action. Please let me know if there is anything you could do to make this instance right. Thank you!

I purchased a laptop that had an 8400 graphics board in it manufactured by this company. Not only were all the drivers non-functional with the laptop since the time I had it, but the hardware was faulty as well. Because it is a HP laptop, neither company has ever had a solution to this problem. Furthermore I still suffer issues from their faulty drivers in yet another Hp computer.

The NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT Graphic Card on my Sony Viao laptop (model VGN-FZ283BN) has failed twice in the two years following purchase. The device was purchased January 28. I purchased a three year extended warranty on the Sony notebook which has covered the cost of repairs each time. The inconvenience caused by this problem must not me overlooked as it has caused me much suffering.

On June 2, 2008, I purchase my Compaq Presario F700 Notebook PC. This completely crashed in Aug, 2010. When taking to a compute repair shop, I was told although it had the NVIDIA Chipset in, this was not under recall. The Motherboard went bad and this could be due to the Chipset. A thorough check was made on my laptop that declared it un-fixable except for a new motherboard. I understand that my warranty was up but feel there still should be some compensation for problem since this Chipset had problems since Nov. 2007. If there is a Class Action for this problem I would like to be included.

I have purchased 2 different GeForce 9500 gt 1Gb video cards and both burnt out within 6 months. No, I never overclocked them nor do I even know how. I am now high and dry without a video card for either of my PC's. I will never purchase another card from them again.

As many of other complaints, currently out of warranty, the graphics card forcing blue screen of death on HP Pavilion dv900 laptop which was the GeForce 8M series graphics card, which is giving a nvlddmkm.sys error and which is associated with the Nvidia graphics card. This resulted into a thousand dollars worth of an electronic device that cannot be used due to this error on NVIDIA's part

I bought a Dell XPS M1710 in July 2006 and in June 2009, a month before my warranty expired, my video card failed like others with artifacts on the main boot screen and would not display anything after boot screen. Dell replaced the card under warranty. Three months after the replacement, the supposedly new card failed. I called Dell and they told me that it was out of warranty, but I could purchase a new or refurbished card. I did not want to spend more than $450 so I spent hours looking through the web and found that others (many others) had this same problem and fixed it by baking the card. This did work which proves the bad solder joints, but only lasts for about 1-2 months at a time.

Now, being July 2010, I am fed up with everything and want Dell and NVidia to acknowledge the faulty design and replace this card with a new, working fault-free model.

My HP Pavilion Laptop graphic card went out and HP refused to fix the problem even though they are aware of the ever growing situation with the Nvidia 860 video card. I use this laptop for work, so I have lost all my files and paperwork. Not to mention that I was forced to purchase a new laptop.

The Dell M1710 I have has an NVidia 7900 graphics card which has recently failed. The screen would blank out after booting windows. Doing some research online, I found that this is a common issue. Some claim it to be weak soldering, but it's not something I can say for certain. Checking with Dell, I found that a repair job required a replacement to the motherboard, which I was told is integral with the graphics card. This is false, and a quick look on YouTube can prove that. I asked them about it but they would not replace just the graphics card (the total quoted for the fix was in the neighborhood of $528.00 and involved refurbished parts.)

They eventually transferred me to their parts sales, which took some discussion before they looked up the cost of a supposed new card, which they wanted about $710.00 for. As I mentioned, there are a lot of people coming up with similar problems with their 7900/7950 graphics cards. One of the biggest problems here is that there are no alternatives as the graphics cards were designed specifically for Dell laptops. From the experiences of others, replacing the card with another of a similar or same model will only result in the same problem occurring again not far down the road.

My XPS M1710 video card (a Nvidia 7950 GTX) died which has made the laptop unusable. I need a laptop for work, but have to provide my own, and had to purchase a new (non-Dell) to replace when I found out the replacement card would cost $750 and it would be the same card that has been continually failing.

Nvidia Company Profile