1.17/5
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

129 Nuance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I purchased this "Premium Edition" in 2012. Set it up and never figured out how in the World to use it. I decided to try it again in my new computer. Lo and behold There is no hope this "Premium" 12 product on Windows 10. If they can't a fix to keep up to date what good are they? $300 for a product that can't be updated. They should have named it Dragon Drops because it is more like Dinosaur Crap. Naturally Speaking Of Course.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I bought Dragon last year (August) and I have tried to use it and quite frankly this version is awful, it crashes all the time. I've had version 3 and 4 before and there were small issues, however I just can't say anything good about it at all now. I have wasted my money on a very inferior version and I'm not happy. I also updated this to version to 6.8 and it's still hopeless. I have also noticed that everyone else is having the same problems. What I would like to know is can I get a refund? I have been waiting online for over 35 mins for someone to answer the phone and all I get is please hold. Stay away from Mac 6 Dragon Professional. Eventually got onto Nuance and they say 30 days is their limit so I am out big bucks for a useless product. How can they get away with this, they only put an update to fix all the errors before Xmas and it made it worse.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I've been using PaperPort 14.5 for years and although there were problems occasionally I was not prepared for the massive issues when upgrading to Windows 10. The 10 upgrade removed PaperPort from my computers. Nuance Support was not very helpful simply me to "kindly reinstall the software." Unfortunately the extra cost of the disk and extended support (rip off) since the initial support only lasts 90 days. I often never receive the hard cd for installation. The extended download electronically usually works once and they want you to spend another $7.99 for another not to mention the constant harassing of their telemarketers.

I have it installed on five machines but I am actively looking for other solutions. The real kicker is they actually only have support or customer service M-F 8-5. The links to their help and downloads are broken and it can't figure out which of my passwords to use. If you can find an alternative, I strongly suggest you do so. Oh, and once you install their stuff, good luck getting all the files out of your device. It took me over two days (and I'm an IT guy) to get rid of them everywhere that Microsoft uninstall does not remove. Dragon is even worse.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Just upgraded to Dragon Professional Personal 15. I am running latest upgrade of Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3. I did a fair amount of dictation, mainly into Word, Outlook, and played a bit with machine control and tried using "intelligent" commands. DNS accuracy is the best of any of their versions I have used (I have been using it since v2). Phenomenal. Unbelievable. And easy!. That's the good news. It does what it says it does better than any other product.

Now for the less than good news. It worked great for a couple of days except when I used Outlook. When Outlook was running for a while it starts getting unusably slow and drags down DNS with it. Then I started getting an error from DNS saying it was having trouble with a 3rd party app. Once I got that error the 1st time, I got it every time I started DNS and the product became useless. So I snapshot the error and sent it along to Nuance Cust support. Their reply was basically RTFM! I couldn't believe it. So I started researching the error on my own and started running into sites like this one. I was having little luck. I uninstalled and re-installed DNS (that was not without its own problems) but continued to get the 'trouble with...' error from the get-go.

So, it occurred to me that something else changed on my machine between the initial install that worked well enough to have given it 5 stars and the 2nd install that fails to run at all. The only relevant possibility was my license for Avast Premier had expired. So I renewed it and got the latest version. My research turned specifically to DNS vs Avast. Bingo! There are loads of people having the same problem. I updated Avast's setting to ignore the entire Nuance program folder tree. DNS is now working GREAT again except when running alongside of Outlook. And I'm sure that issue is purely a Microsoft problem. Hope this helps some folks.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I installed and started using PaperPort 14 on my surface. Had PaperPort 11 for years. The new version does not recognize Windows 10 OS. It keeps telling me it is XP. I checked all the compatibility settings and they are correct. Online help is down for system upgrades and the office is only open M-F. Error message code is for XP only. MS says issue with Nuance, not OS. Nice to know that I pay good money for no service and defective software.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nuance?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I have used Dragon Naturally Speaking (DNS) 12 for a couple of years. It worked fine on my old computer but that one caught fire. I replaced it and ran DNS first under Win. 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10. Then I found Win 10 would not run my secondary SATA drives. I reverted to Win 8.1 with a fresh boot. Now Nuance won't let me use DNS because they say I have used up the number of machines I can use it on. This is not true. I have only used it on the old computer (caught fire) and now this one. Can I discuss this with them? No. They have already blocked my account. Seems I must either buy DNS all over again or go elsewhere. Either way, they don't care. I call it customer disservice.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Purchased product so an elder friend could send emails without typing with her arthritic fingers. Purchased Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home (company is called Nuance). Installed software, and immediately software stated either the desktop computer had no sound card (it has a sound card) or there was something missing from the sound card. I contacted tech help from the Dragon Dict. website. The tech help had me install the remote access for my computer. The tech looked at it, then told me that the fault was viruses (on a new computer?) and I could purchase their assistance for 1 year at $49.99 or for life for only $149.99. So here I am with a new product software that cost $60, but apparently it won't run until I spend a minimum of $49.99 for assistance from the company I bought the product from. For all I know the 'problem' is easily fixed/corrected, but I won't know without expenditure of $.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017 The way it handles corrections does not work correctly. It's just plagued by bugs. I consistently encounter the same functional errors, making it difficult to reliably make a correction. Then out of the blue the cursor will jump to a random location and either you are dictating into nowhere or right in the middle of your document.

I have received nothing notable from customer service as to a reason or a final fix to this issue.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

This software is suppose to make you more efficient with your work. What you gain in typing speed you rapidly lose, and then far more, in terms of getting around and undoing the multiple errors, crashes etc. Not worth it. I urge Mac customers to NOT use this software. Major reasons:

1) The software crashes when using Word 2011 and Word 2016. It occasionally crashed Word along with it. Updating to the latest version of Dragon for Mac did not help. 2) Customer support is poor. They respond to questions by asking questions, and then ask you to call them for more information. This is after you have wasted your time filling out forms etc online. To top it off -- after 90 days you have to start paying for technical support!!

3) The correction command does not work properly -- you are supposed to say "Edit one" in order to edit one of the suggested corrections, but instead it replaces the word you were trying to correct with, "edit one". 4) It has happened that it suddenly selects a bunch of text and deletes it when you are trying to edit. This happens when you are using a mix of manual editing and voice commands - which is most of how you will do it. Minor reasons: You can create custom editing commands -- but they get erased once you edit the software.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

I bought Nuance Dragon Mac 5.0 some years ago and recently upgraded to yours Dragon for Mac 6.0. This can be a very rewarding an accurate program. But incredibly Nuance Dragon released Dragon for Mac 6.0 with what their tech support referred to as a "known problem" with using this program to dictate in Microsoft Word the world's most widely used word processing program.

What does "known problem" mean? Answer? Nuance can't fix it. So I have bought a program that simply doesn't work -- Dragon for Mac 6.0 freezes after three or four minutes of dictation -- and not only does Nuance not work, tech support has no idea when a solution might be forthcoming. I ask if the program will work with Apple's Pages program - and am told that "we think so." Doesn't this wretched company test their programs before releasing them onto the market -- with a very steep upgrade price for a program that, can like its predecessor, simply doesn't work. Nuance sucks big time.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

There seems to be something crooked about this company. Some of the other reviewers seem to echo this. I've owned dragon for years and have had ongoing issues where I purchased an upgrade online in response to an email and then I call the company and they don't have any record of me. I find out later somehow they're split into different entities and if you buy online it's an inferior experience. Anyway, I just wanted to support what others were saying is that the lack of response, the poor english skills of people answering calls and just the general "vibe" from this company is poor. I will not buy pdf from them again because of this, but I don't know that there's an alternative for the Dragon product.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2016

I first used Paperport 9, then bought the Pro version of 12. Now suddenly, after several years, they included an update that invalidates its use unless I buy an update I don't need or want. I've read several other complaints where they could not get rid of it. In my case it was easy, I simply did not buy their product and they removed my entire version! Not exactly what was expected (or deserved!)

I don't know how they get away with this kind of larceny. The Pro version I bought had no such requirements, time limited use or required updating. They got this to me via an update. I expected the update to be used the way most software companies use it... to repair errors, etc. That's the last time I will use an update from anyone with software I have purchased that is supposed to be stand-alone software. I won't even register software anymore.

This is their way of getting you to pay and to be on their "cloud" version which costs money all the time. I do not like being ripped off, that is what it feels like... being scammed, very MS-like. These guys did not invent paperport. They bought it a few years ago but now run it like mobsters. I am not going to look through receipts from 7 years ago but I have the original box and am a registered user of theirs, pic attached. I am looking for a replacement and would appreciate any qualified suggestions! Thank You.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

I've used Nuance PaperPort for more than a decade with several HP scanners - flatbed/sheetfed combos - and would love never have to use it again. In a reinstall on a new machine last January, it cost three weeks and umpteen conversations with several youngsters who could barely read from their scripts, or pronounce the words, to figure out why the scanner couldn't talk to Windows 10. They never did figure it out, and on repeated re-inquiries, continued to feed me the same ineffective information. I finally got the hardware to talk to PaperPort somewhere in early February, and as vexed as I was, at least I was done with them.

Until about two hours ago, when I tried opening the program and got the message you will see below. When I clicked on the link to "tech note 6629", I got their dumbfoundingly stupid web page. No site map, no "tech note" page, nothing. Another wasted thirty minutes. Finally, hating to do it, I submitted another appeal for assistance. Since my warranty is out on PPort 14, they may actually CHARGE me for a service that they're supposed to supply free to the tech-minded (thirty years experience with computers). I suspect that this is the kind of modest fraud that the company has been getting away with for a while. The program was never all that good; now, it's worthless. Somebody point me to a good software suite that works with a hardy old HP scanner, please.

Updated on 08/11/2016: I rec'd an email response after posting my problem on their website. (The response contained a direct link to "tech note **" which was not otherwise findable on the site through the error message that PaperPort produced; And by the way, when you click "ok" on the message, the program closes.) The suggestion was that I delete any compatibility options in the program's Properties box; I opened Properties, found that there were no compatibilities checked, closed it and wrote back that I had found nothing. So what next? This morning I rec'd another reply, from a different tech. They advise a registry hack, which to me always strikes me as playing chicken with a complicated system if you don't know what you're doing, and sometimes even if you do. Anyway, I created a recovery point (which I strongly advise) and then followed their advice.

What they suggest: Access Regedit and export the registry (rename it) somewhere, follow their steps, which involve deleting two different registry keys, reboot, open PaperPort. See what happens. In my case, the program opened without closing, but it could not (for reasons inexplicable to me and to the program) find my scanner profiles. I have written back to their support folk and am waiting for a reply.

In the meantime, I restored the computer and tried the following workaround: Go to the ProgramData folder in the c:\ drive. It's hidden, so make it visible. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Nuance PaperPort 14. Create a desktop shortcut to Nuance PaperPort 14. The folder contains links to specific routines within PaperPort, the most important of which is ScanDirect. If you're lucky, when you click on ScanDirect it will bring up a clunky but working dialogue box of options (Feeder or Flatbed, etc). Find the one that works and click "Ok". So far, this works. Not ideal.

Original review: July 6, 2016

When I found your site, I was amazed at all the people who have had the same issues with Nuance Dragon 13 that I have had. I have used version 12 before, but upgraded a year or 2 ago, and have not been able to properly use it since. (I had to remove the version 12 before installing the 13. I think my original was a download to get it quicker.) It just does not seem to configure properly, and after hours of trying, I just give up for a few months. Using Windows 10, and I see here that it is just not compatible. It is really sad that they do not stand behind their products because I would really like to be able to use it.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I hate this company and the lousy software they spawn and go to great lengths to keep it off my computers just as they go to great lengths to keep their software on my computer. Any company that has to resort to such deceptive and sleazy practices is dishonest at it core and should be avoided. One also needs to write the vendors that bundle this garbage with their software and complain about them including software that I consider a virus by its very nature. This is basically ambush software and very hard to get off your computer once you make the mistake of installing it.

Original review: May 21, 2016

I like the software: I've been using it for many years. I'm not at v12.5 (I see warning EVERYWHERE not to upgrade to 13, so I'm not going to). But what drives me mad with my current version is that every time I run it the software goes looking for various install files, doesn't find them, and I need to start the install from square one. Crazy. Nuance is a company that is VERY difficult to love.

Original review: April 14, 2016

DO NOT BUY DRAGON NATURALLY SPEAKING 13.0 FOR WINDOWS 10. The two are not compatible regardless of what Nuance claims. And they cannot fix the problems. When you open it, close it and then try to open it again, the microphone does not respond. However, the program keeps running in the background which prevents your computer from going to sleep. That means, if you use a password to wake the computer, it is not required which means you have NO security on your computer. You literally have to force a restart in order to clear the problem. Nuance cannot nor will not even acknowledge the problem exists. I'm trying to get my money back but what they put you through makes that impossible. BAD PRODUCT, EVEN WORSE COMPANY!

Original review: April 8, 2016

Customer service??? Unavailable! Annoyance??? Tantamount! I can't believe that there is a company out there that will put up a customer service number on their web page that leads nowhere. The issue starts with the voice command prompt that comes out of nowhere while listening to anything with my headphones on my LG Optimus Mobile. There is nowhere to turn this off. I have contacted LG, and got nowhere with Nuance. As far as I can see, it's a bully tactic to boost use of their service.

Original review: March 30, 2016

I bought cheap computers, school and kids; they break and Nuances can't be removed. You have to call customer service to download on another computer, but they're not open evenings or weekends. This has happened 3x's, bought 3 nuances. I called once, customer service told me to download and call back, I called in 15; got a recording they closed so I went out and bought another nuance. I would drop them in a heartbeat if another company surpasses them!

Original review: March 2, 2016

Bought late version of Dragon 12. Doesn't work with new MS Office and Nuance have still not updated version 12.5 and clearly don't intend to, because they just want to flog you version 13. Nuance website makes it impossible to find any UK support telephone number. When I managed to find it on the internet from an independent site customer services said I had to buy version 13 at full price and didn't even apologise or sympathise with a customer who had very recently bought a £150 product from them which was useless after just a few months. Avoid this company. Bottom line for them is profit.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2016

I have tried to use this program for several years and time and time again it DOES NOT WORK!! "Failure to launch UI server"! And there is no help with Nuance support which sucks. They put out a defective product and they know it. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! You will be sorry.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I've wasted an entire afternoon trying to print out a preliminary idea for a commission I've been asked for and baffled as to why the printer is not printing it at the normal size of A4. Hours later I find that this Nuance Paperport has been installed on my PC without my knowledge and has been getting in between my graphics program (PaintShop Pro) and my printer (HP Envy) and changed the default to 8" x 10" which is useless for my purposes. I am furious this has happened. I don't download crap off the net and I don't use 'apps' on my PC and the only things recent are updates on programs and devices I have had for a long time.

The only exception to that is this execrable Win 10. I HATE it with a passion and want my Win 7 back. I don't DO celebrities. I don't WANT the news on my PC and I don't need telling how to do my tasks. I certainly don't want any software I haven't asked for ripping up my precious spare time! Too many thuggish companies/programs now. I have removed it from my computer and I don't care if it's the next bees knees of whatever. I won't be using it.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

Always worked with Mac until I upgraded. Now it crashes, usually after I have forgotten to save every 5 seconds. Worst thing is that there is nobody to speak to at Nuance. The contact numbers are false which find disgusting. It is a crap piece of software. More infuriating by far than useful.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

I have purchased five versions of Dragon NaturallySpeaking over the years, always hopeful. But, you see, there were always issues. Like the cursor jumping randomly, random selection and deletion in documents. That's always fun especially since I write professional legal documents. Now, it's just shutting down and not working, consequently, neither am I :(.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

After downloading Windows 10, I installed Dragon NaturallySpeaking 14 as an upgrade from 13. Neither works w/ Windows 10 despite what Nuance says. Their technical support, apparently based in India, has been a total waste of time.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I have had to purchase two copies of Dragon Speak and now they are telling my latest copy is no longer supported as they have launched pro13. This is a load of crap. I am filing complaint with BBB as they should have to support the product for longer than GodDamn Year!!! So not buying upgrade and advising everyone of my followers to never ever buy their products again. It is just stupid to pay that much for a program and get ** support.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2015

Many thanks to whoever created this blog, although I wish I had have found this page before installing Paperport! We purchased a Brother printer (MFC-L2700DW) from a well known and trusted Australian supplier which arrived on Wed 24th Sept 2015 (yes, we live in Australia). Used the Brother installation disk to install the printer's software - including Paperport - on my husband's Windows 7- 64 bit PC. After selecting the option to register our printer with Brother online, BANG, we lost our internet connection. Tried to uninstall Paperport via Windows Install/Uninstall Software option. No luck. Windows couldn't uninstall it. Tried again via the Brother's software uninstall feature. Again, no luck. Placed a call with the Brother support line to which they replied the next day.

Their technician offered the same procedures we had already tried and yet again - no luck. It was explained to us that because Paperport is a 3rd party/proprietary software provider, Brother didn't support it and that our problem should be taken up with our internet service provider because it was a connection problem! What? We eventually solved the problem ourselves, by rolling the system back to an earlier Windows automatic backup. NOTE: If you haven't turned this feature ON in Windows, do it now!! Luckily my husband had set this windows option ON to auto backup every Sunday, so he didn't lose much plus he regularly performs data backups.

Once that was done, we amazingly could access the internet again - so much for it being an internet service provider problem! From reading the experiences of others here on this forum regarding other products branded under the Nuance label - namely Dragon Naturally Speaking Ver: 11 - my husband had purchased this product some years back and remembered his utter disgust & frustration at never being able to use the software because, well, it never worked! Being so long ago, my husband didn't recognise the Nuance brand and if I had of known, I never would have tried to install Paperport. Reading the many problems their products have created over the years, it is hard to believe this company - Nuance - is still in business, and continues to cause such heartache to so many of we, the unsuspecting customers/users.

I guess if we've learnt just one thing from this horrible experience with a Nuance product, it's to never install 3rd party software given away on a disk, even if it is supplied by a respected supplier such as Brother. Actually, you'd think that Brother's quality control procedures would include regular ongoing testing of their 3rd party partner's products before releasing them to the consumer. Hope this information is of some use to someone.

Original review: July 12, 2015

After several tries in the past over the last many years, I decided to give Dragon another shot. Bad move. I purchased the disk from Office Depot so I would not have any download issues. Still no help. Of course, getting support from Nuance is like pulling eye teeth. I have their PDF programs as well. Good programs but lousy service and support and none at all on the weekend. For those of us who work for a living, we do not have time during the week the spend hours on end waiting for a tech, only to be given a lower level guy reading out of a manual who eventually has to pass you on to someone else. This company seriously needs to buck up its customer support or be prepared to go out of business just as their many predecessors who carried Dragon have done.

Original review: July 3, 2015

When I attempted to launch Dragon 13 earlier today, I received an error message "failure to launch - UI automation error," prompting me to contact technical support. I explained to this person the problem, and also explained to him that I am in the process of moving from one home to another, and that I had already moved all my software to the new house.

The representative informed me that my only option was to purchase a replacement disk. I noted that this solution was not acceptable given that I would have to wait for delivery of the disk; he concurred. I asked him if I could download a copy, prompting him to suggest that he might be able to get approval. After being on hold for several minutes, he returned, apologizing that since I had purchased a disk he could not secure permission for me to reinstall the program through a download; I don't recall being given the option of disk or download when last I upgraded because I would have opted to download the installation (Earlier he mentioned that to resolve the problem would require uninstalling and reinstalling the program). When I asked him if the reason for the decision was to prevent me from "stealing" the software, he responded affirmatively.

I asked to speak to his manager or another person who had the responsibility for the decision. In turn, he allegedly attempted to transfer my call but after several minutes the connection was severed. I have been a Dragon customer for approximately 15 years, and am honestly aghast to be treated in such a distrustful manner. While the representative with whom I spoke was polite, he was obviously bound by company policies over which he had no control. My frustration only increased when I was not able to speak directly with the person who presumably does have the authority to permit a downloaded installation today.

Finally, the company's website makes it very difficult to send a representative an email message. I wasted several minutes searching for a way to contact customer service without success. Nuance would do well to consider the impact of its policies and practices on its customers. Earlier today I would have classified myself as a loyal customer. This experience has left me very dissatisfied. I will look for an alternative provider soon.

Original review: June 2, 2015

Re: Nuance Dragon Home ver 12 (purchased in 2014). On 5/31/2015 out of nowhere, I also "suddenly had Win XP issues" on my win 7 machine (Really?). After hours of forums, much research, effort, etc., I finally uninstalled the software. Once uninstalled, now the software wont re-install or re-activate even though my Nuance profile indicates I am registered and activated. The service terms say that after more than 90 days from official activation; want licensees to pay them $10 minimum per question to ask how to fix these "timeouts" or customers can buy the 2015 upgrade "on special" for only $79.99 . Wow, what a concept!

Within the online community, some may believe it is prudent that consumer organizations should investigate complaints about certain companies allegedly embedding software "timeouts" that many consumers may have paid over $100.00 to license and use. I believe they may calling for the rest of us to patronize other software companies for the time being, until things look better for the unwary consumer.

Nuance Company Information