1.13/5

formerly Norton Antivirus

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Norton offers online protection for your computer, tablet or smartphone. Choose from a variety of plans starting at just $5.99 depending on your needs. New plans offer LifeLock Identity Theft Protection and enhanced security for all your devices to give you the peace of mind that your personal data is kept secure.

BOTTOM LINE

Norton Security offers comprehensive digital protection services, from malware to ID theft protection, for one monthly price.

PROS

• ID theft protection services
  • Virus protection promise
  • Affordable plans

CONS

• Covers limited number of devices

Top Norton Security Reviews

01/02/2018

This is the only antivirus I've used for the last twenty years and it's always kept in good stead. Thumbs up. I would recommend this without reservation.

01/04/2018

I have used other software in the past and always ended up regretting that decision. Overall Norton has been the best for me. Their customer support is very helpful and 24 hours.

Norton Security features

Depending on which plan you select, Norton offers a variety of services to protect your devices and personal information. Their virus protection promise guarantees a full refund if their software catches a virus and their US-based restoration team can't remove it.

Plan features include:

• Lost wallet protection
  • Credit monitoring
  • SSN and credit alerts
  • Data breach notifications
  • Bank and credit card activity alerts
  • Fictitious identity monitoring
  • Court records scanning
  • 401k and investment alerts

In addition to these features, plans each offer a level of reimbursement for losses due to identity theft. Called the Million Dollar Protection Package, the feature includes stolen fund reimbursement starting at $25,000 and coverage for up to 1 million in legal fees.

Comparing Norton Security plans

The three most popular plans offered by Norton Security are the Standard, Deluxe and Select plans. While they have much in common, there are key differences in their parental control, ID theft protection and cloud storage.

PlanStandardDeluxeSelect
Standard10GB1$7.99
Deluxe50GB5$9.99
Select100GB5$14.99

Norton Security cost

Norton’s security packages range from $8 - $35 per month, or $40 - $260 per year. If you opt to pay annually, you can save up to $90 on the total cost.

Do we recommend Norton Security?

If you're worried about your digital devices or identity theft, we think Norton Security is an excellent option. Their partnership with LifeLock expands the scope of their offerings, allowing them to serve multiple areas of your life with one streamlined service. Affordable plans are available, and comprehensive options exist for added protection. Bonus features like cloud storage and parental control make Norton a great go-to for most digital security needs.

Norton Security Reviews

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

After having been your loyal customer since at least 2009 (yes, at least 10 years), out of nowhere the company started FORCING advertisement without consent. It is bad enough Microsoft and others are doing this, but this is a Computer Virus, PC and Cyber Security, protection and your firewall. Which is supposed to be protecting you from such abuse... And they use their installation to abuse your trust and push ads.

For those 10 years, just like many other customers, I continued to come back to them, because I liked the product and trusted it to protect me. Now, your company is the main violator in my PC, forcing advertisement via every means possible, SPAMMING via emails. FORCING Pop-Ups via the Windows taskbar, and even through the browsers if we opted not to install the browser protection, or if we chose not to use the password product, etc. That is an abuse of your clients. And for the first time in 10 years, I intend to find some other provider I can trust. And I hope many other clients take the step to demonstrate this is not acceptable. Shame on you!

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

Do not purchase Norton. If you want to cancel you WILL NOT GET YOUR MONEY BACK. They have auto renewal which I used. 66 days into my subscription, I wanted to cancel because I found something else that works just as well and costs less. Too bad for me, I didn't find this other option 6 days ago and have time to cancel Norton then. They were more than willing to cancel Norton for me but KEEP MY MONEY. They said I only have 60 days to cancel my subscription. I should have the entire 365 days to cancel my subscription. They tried to first say I received the renewal email, etc. and use that as an excuse. Here's the thing, I found something else I wanted to go with instead, wanted to cancel my subscription and get a refund for the remaining time I had left which is a reasonable request. They will not do it under any circumstances because it is "their policy not to give refunds after 60 days".

So basically they have my money and will not give good customer service and do the right thing and let me have my money back. They are "more than happy" to cancel my subscription though. I would be happy to get free money too! Who wouldn't! So very frustrated with them. If you're thinking about going with Norton, DON'T. They are dishonest and deceitful and will keep your money if you don't fit within their 60-day refund policy. If only I would've realized this 6 days ago, I wouldn't be stuck with them now. I cannot wait for my remaining subscription to be finished. I will never use Norton ever again.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Two years ago I purchased a one year subscription for Norton Home Security. I went with one of their competitors. I called as well as sent an E-mail to cancel their home security service. This was for the period Oct. 2017 to Oct 2018. One year later, Norton fraudulently bills me. I receive a statement from them "ONE YEAR AFTER I CANCELLED THEIR SERVICE", billing me for another year! This is outright fraud.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

They are in a conspiracy to work the Internet for millions! This is how it works: Google gives Norton exclusive right to place a 'marker' on websites searched in Google Chrome. The marker is either a question mark or a green symbol. Naturally, persons searching will go for the green symbols. If your website has a question mark you will want a green symbol which you can get here: safeweb.norton.com.

If you don't have a Norton account, you will need to create one if you want to proceed getting your green symbol. This is where they gotcha. The next day you will be getting attractive solicitations of 50% off to subscribe. A person would probably think; if I don't subscribe I may not get the green symbol - and you probably won't! I know a person who has a website and applied for the green symbol but didn't subscribe as he already had computer protection from another company. It has been over two months now and he still hasn't got the green symbol! So he had better subscribe to Norton if he wants one.

That is the Norton Plan to get every website in Google search subscribed. Imagine the millions and millions of dollars they will make! If you have a green symbol on your website now you had better renew your subscription when it is due. Otherwise, you will probably get a notice that Norton can't guarantee your website is still safe and you will be back to a 'question mark'. So Norton will keep racking in millions and millions of dollars and probably be giving Google a nice cut for letting them do this.

What can you do? You can notify your senators and congressperson about getting a law to the effect that, "No person or company shall place any marker on another person or company website and any marker on there now shall be removed". It would also be advisable to begin Anti-Trust action on Google for allowing this to happen as they have too much power on the Internet.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Needed help installing Norton Security, was charged extra $89.99 for help after already paying for security for 3 devices. Then it was installed with a different email which wasn't me and cannot change it after waiting over 50 minutes on hold for help. Then they resell the same product to me again. No phone numbers or email addresses that were provided on the internet worked.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

Was notified that they had charged my credit card $188 two days ago for a renewal. No prior notification that it was due. LIFELOCK is included with this but their inability to give prior notification proves they may be incapable of fixing anything because they are incapable of proper billing. Not to be trusted.

Hello Patrick,
I hope this message finds you well. Just wanted to send a quick note to check if you had a chance to go over our reply to your review asking for more information. Could you check your private message at your convenience and get back to us with the requested information? We will be more than happy to help.

Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

I have auto renewal and noticed they charged me £62.99 for Norton Internet subscription. They then upgraded this to Norton 360 deluxe which I noticed is £29.99. Despite spending hour on the chat and telephone they just gave me the run around with no credit. They have ripped me off and come renewal I'll use someone else - useless support system. I dread to think what would happen if you had a security problem as they are slow to respond, are very unhelpful. DON'T USE.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 12, 2019

I couldn't get registered with LifeLock/Norton so I called support. They were all nice but all had accents. I couldn't understand them and they couldn't understand me. I wasted 2 hours of my time. I want my money back!

Hello George,

I hope you’re doing well. I have responded to your review through a private message. If you have any further questions, please reply back to our private message at your convenience. We will be more than happy to help. You may also reach us through various other support options provided at: www.norton.com/contactcs.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I was considering renewal but thanks to complaints in the social media, I found out that by renewing subscription to Norton’s security program for 1 year, you are authorizing Norton to withdraw money from your account each year for every next renewal at a regular price which is usually $120. That fact is confirmed by the very fine print in the e-mail for renewal sent to me by Norton. Also, on the original box of the Norton Security at the bottom right corner with letters meant to be missed by purchases the text reads: “Restrictions apply. Must be enrolled in automatic renewal service online.”

PLEASE BE ADVISED that this shady practices are also used now by McAfee. I have used Norton for the last about 5 years. No MORE. I switch to Kaspersky which shares first place with Norton as the best protection tested by many labs. The pointed downside for Kaspersky is that it does not have the option to backup your data on a cloud, which I have never used with Norton, literally for security reasons. I have NO trust in today's corporations.

Nino ** - Canada

Hello Nino,

Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I too am a victim of auto renew...and what's worse...it renewed under a "dead" email address. Upon recognizing being charged twice I contacted the company only to be farmed out to India where I received a complete runaround. And could not decipher what was being said. Went online and received a circular argument live chat. I have been with Norton since it's inception, but their deceptive, sneaky renewal system sent me running. Terrible deceitful practices.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information