1.02/5

formerly Norton Antivirus

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Norton offers online protection for your computer, tablet or smartphone. Choose from a variety of plans starting at just $5.99 depending on your needs. New plans offer LifeLock Identity Theft Protection and enhanced security for all your devices to give you the peace of mind that your personal data is kept secure.

730 Norton Security Consumer Reviews

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 1, 2019

I had been an auto renew member with Norton for several years. My subscription was to renew in June, 2019 and so in May of 2019 I contacted Norton to cancel my subscription. On July 1, 2019 checking my credit card account I found that Norton had charged my account $116.58 for another 13 months (390 days) on June 16, 2019. I then proceeded to contact Norton again and that I should have never been charged since I canceled a month before. Norton employee said that I still had 381 days left on my subscription and the best they would do is give me a 50% credit. I said that this was not right but they would not budge. Do not trust them on a cancellation request. Go into your My Account and delete any credit cards or checking accounts for payment so Norton is not able to steal from you.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I called to cancel my subscription last year. At that time, I requested my auto-renew be cancelled and the charge reversed. I was told that they would do so. Imagine my surprise this year when I noticed I was still paying for Norton! The company refused to refund the fees they took after my cancellation even though per their records the last time I used the product was 2017. All the while trying to cancel for good, they were not the least bit apologetic and even tried to continue selling me -- aggressively -- on a renewal. Norton's sales and billing practices are untrustworthy. I will never do business with them again. Beware of getting caught in their web with any subscription plan.

Original review: June 25, 2019

I had to pick one star, or I was not able to leave this review; they deserve no stars! At one time, many of us had AOL (America Online) email accounts, right? Then, AOL became outdated and many of us moved on to Gmail and other services. I purchased a subscription to Norton Antivirus through my AOL email account back in the 1990's, but when Gmail came along, I wanted to switch to their better platform and services. So, in 2008 I canceled my AOL email account and opened a Gmail account; at the same time I moved my Norton Antivirus over to my new Gmail account and closed it on AOL. Sounds pretty simple, right? Flash forward to October/November of 2018 when I decided to no longer subscribe to Norton Antivirus on my computer through my Gmail account, I went online and clicked "unsubscribe" and all was good. Not so fast...

In December of 2018 a charge showed up on my credit card from Norton/Symantec. I checked my Gmail and confirmed that I had indeed cancelled my monthly subscription, then I called my credit card company to dispute the charge. A few weeks later, I received a letter from my credit card company, they had attached a letter from Symantec/Norton stating that I had not cancelled my subscription. It went on to state "If Customer needs further assistance, we would kindly direct them to our Norton Support Center via the following website". So I contacted Norton support immediately.

To my surprise, guess what I found out! My subscription through my Gmail account had been canceled, BUT they were showing that the charge was for an account on another email address, AOL! As I stated earlier, I had closed that AOL account when I transferred my Norton Antivirus from my AOL account to my Gmail account in 2008. So, for ten years, I was being billed on the same credit card for TWO Norton subscriptions; all the I while thinking the charges were only for one account, what company would ever double charge you....NORTON SYMANTEC!

After over two months on the phone with Norton Symantec, speaking with countless associates, supervisors and their supervisors, I had to repeat my story EVERY time I called. This sounds like a simple issue to all us regular folks, DOUBLE BILLING a customer for the same service is illegal; but apparently not to a billion dollar company like Norton Symantec with all their fine print, red tape and unscrupulous billing methods! After two months of being sent around in circles at Norton, guess what they offered me? They offered to mail me a check for $199.98, that's right, it equals a month and a half of what they had illegally charged me over 10 years!

Corporate thievery wins out again, at the expense of us consumers. Norton Symantec should be ASHAMED of their billing and customer service practices. The amount of money they took from me looks small to them, but it keeps food on my family's table and a roof over our head. If they only realized how hard we all work to survive... Do the right thing Norton Symantec, it is what is JUST and what us consumers deserve.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

I had discontinued my subscription to Norton Antivirus for at least a couple of years and had uninstalled all Norton related software on my computer. However, Norton continues to reinstall itself on my computer. I don't understand how they are able to do this without my permission or my taking actions to install their software. The fact they are able to install themselves onto my computer without my permission is alarming. That seems to be the same way how virus gets onto people's computers. Norton is supposed to be an antivirus program and yet it is doing the exact thing their antivirus program is supposed to prevent and block. While it does not appear Norton has charged me, their practice seems predatory and viral. Norton needs to stop this practice. This is why I stopped subscribing to Norton in the first place.

Hello Jane,

I hope you’re doing well. I have responded to your review through a private message. If you have any further questions, please reply back to our private message at your convenience. We will be more than happy to help. You may also reach us through various other support options provided on our website.

Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 4, 2019

Updated on 06/06/2019: Okay, this is going from bad to worse... I just got an email from Norton thanking me for signing up for their LifeLock program WHICH I NEVER DID. I have not had my part one problem resolved yet where they charged me for two anti-viral programs, and even with the two anti-viral programs I have computer viruses plus malware. Then said I could have those nasty issues erased for ONLY $199.00. Nothing has been resolved, but they did sign me up for their LifeLock. This is becoming a nightmare. Please help.

Original Review: I have been a Norton customer for years. At the time of my renewal I decided to purchase a less expensive security option. I placed my order prior to the date my subscription was due to expire. When I received my credit card statement I discovered they had charged me for two plans. I had a $42 and $125 charges. When I called Norton they needed to access my computer to remove one of the products, The tech told me, at that time, that my computer had been compromised and I had several viruses and malware. But, they could fix it for $199,00.

I found it difficult to believe what I was hearing and told him they had charged me twice for products that didn’t work and wanted to charge me more to repair the damage their products failed to provide protection for. He said “I didn’t get it”. I then asked to speak to a supervisor or someone in customer support. He just said “no” and I said there must be some other option here for me. He then said “you can hang up”. Now I have a computer that needs expensive repairs despite being charged for two security options.

Hello Bonnie,

I hope you’re doing well. I have responded to your review through a private message. If you have any further questions, please reply back to our private message at your convenience. We will be more than happy to help. You may also reach us through various other support options provided at: www.norton.com/contactcs.

Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Norton Security?

Original review: May 22, 2019

I have had Norton security for 10 years and it used to be the best, but since they bought out LifeLock they no longer care about protecting your PC. I had problems and called support. Got a Tech in India that only ran a scan and cleanup which I had already done. Said it was good, but I still had same problems. Every time Norton runs a scan the only thing they do is try to sell LifeLock. I then took it to Staples and they found 64 viruses and 11 malware on my PC. They then cleaned it and replaced Norton with McAfee. Norton refused to give me a refund even though I had 260 days left on my subscriptions.

Hello Allen,

Norton Support

Original review: May 22, 2019

I would like to give 0 stars if I could. I am 68 and not used the computer with Norton for 6 to 7 years. I talked to them on the phone when they do robo calls & told them I now use Apple devices and no longer used the older computer. As I am usually gone in May, I just pay my credit card by phone and do not see the bill. Norton only refunded this year's $108. Charge! NEVER, EVER use NORTON Auto Pay! (Oh, I still had virus problems with that Old PC even though I Had Norton. That is why I went with Apple!!!)

Original review: May 13, 2019

I Discovered yesterday they Norton’s had direct debited $239.99 from our bank acct. One phone call and no help. Went online and had a chat to find they had added two years to my expired card, they also stated they knew we would get one a month before the expiry and hope it’s not cancelled. I have this in writing and printed the conversation! Worst part, I discovered they took money last year and I missed it. An expired card is not a valid card for direct debit. It’s not legal in Australia. I did not authorise this payment. Better still they say they sent me an email to update my card details and then copied and pasted that email to the chat.

It clearly states that failing to update my card details will Ensure to cease future updates and will expire. Now apparently this was sent on the 11th May yet I didn’t receive that email, did not update my details and they withdrew $239.99 on the 11th May. Go figure. Now if Norton’s were an Australian company I could make a stink over this. But I can’t seem to locate where they’re at. But I have the whole transcript where it’s admitted how they took money from our card, without permission and how they altered the details without permission. Don’t give your details to anyone is my advice! Be very aware of Norton’s antics

Original review: May 9, 2019

I operate 2 PCs, one MAC and an iPhone. Hopefully after you read this Post you will never choose Norton as your AV. Please avoid Norton like the Plague - you don't need the hassle in your life and it's almost completely ineffective as an AV as compared to the better AVs out there that out-rank it for good reason. I've been lied to constantly by Norton Support, they have a 100% failure Rate on their Promises: For instance:

1) Last year at Subscription time when I was going to dump Norton because of how they were dropping down the rankings every year and I was sick of their expensive GUI and ineffective AV. First LIE - "We'll give you a 50% discount off your Annual Subscription if you renew with NORTON" - LIE!

2) Second LIE - Actual Norton Tech advice "It's Normal for Norton to Cook CPUs at 96 degrees Celsius for 40 minutes every night while Norton performs background Scans - LIE! Why did it cook on PC and not the other? They both ran Norton and in Task Manager, the only APP running while my CPU was Cooking at 60-65% of my CPU was NORTON, but if I opened Norton, it was doing nothing! (Keep in mind both Machines have a Water-cooled CPU - imagine what Temperature the CPU affected by NORTON would have hit if not water-cooled!)

3) Third LIE - We'll extend your Subscription by 3 months because we've kept you up for 3 nights in a Row till midnight while we load and re-load Norton onto your Computer -LIE! No extension ever added.

4) Fourth LIE - Senior Tech advice in summary -We don't care that you're unhappy Norton is cooking your CPU, it's Normal for Norton to do so. Also, we never give refunds on Subscriptions - it's impossible - LIE!

5) In May 2019, after realizing my Subscription was charged at full value and no extension was ever provided, I contacted their Support again and they offered me an immediate refund of AUD 130.69 and they would disable Norton immediately. I accepted, however because the Credit Card I used for my Subscription was cancelled and I changed my Payment details, they couldn't pay back into the new Card in my Norton Account, they had to get a "Senior Tech" to call me within 48-72 Hours. When I said that was unacceptable because I had to immediately go out and Purchase new AV Software. Fifth LIE- they promised I would get a call the next Day 10 am AEST -LIE!

6) Sixth LIE - Contacting them after 48 hours, they said (quote from Transcripts) "rest-assured I have made sure someone will call you tomorrow."- LIE.

7) Seventh LIE- After 72 Hours, I was told tonight they would have to send me a Cheque and it would take 4-6 weeks to receive it. When I asked why no one had called me, they said they only made the decision today - LIE!

They referred back to when they tried to ring me three time in March after my technical issues (which I fixed myself with a System Restore) and I don't even know why they were trying to ring me, but when I'm chasing the money they owe me, and I'm no longer a Subscriber, there's no reason to ring me back at all! Now apparently, I'm waiting 4-6 weeks to receive a cheque and someone Senior from Norton will ring me within the next 48 hours at my designated time of 9am AEST. After what I've just posted, what chance do you think I've got of either happening at all; or on time; or as they say it's going to happen with their 100% failure rate!

HERE'S THE IMPORTANT PART: I've swapped over to Bitdefender. Within four hours, on all 3 machines Bitdefender found Malware and a Trojan in email Archives that I received while operating NORTON as my AV over the years - How effective is Bitdefender and how useless is Norton? Also - for quarter of the price! Do yourself a favor, don't go near NORTON, they are a brand name, with a pretty GUI that uses up heaps of CPU power doing absolutely nothing in the background while cooking your CPU or providing you with completely useless screen pop-ups every hour or so.

Their Tech Support Staff are useless at fixing problems and untruthful if they can't and they don't see an issue with making promises they have no intention of keeping - it will be some other Support Staff Person's problem if you contact them again. I've kept all the Transcripts of their failure to keep promises and I intend to give them to Consumer Affairs. I never thought I'd see myself saying this, but if I could Score them ZERO Stars I would and I hope I've helped at least some of you out there keep away from NORTON AV.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Norton charged an expired card (it had been expired for several months) and refused to issue a refund. I had to deal with the bank, which eventually explained that this is a service available to business such as car rental agencies and hotels, which are able to charge expired cards to avoid customers skipping out on damages they caused by canceling their credit card. Why Norton is allowed to do this is beyond me, and beyond the bank's understanding. Bank was ok. Norton reps were a PITA at every step, basically automatons.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Charge out during trial and make you jump thru hoops trying to get refund. I want my money and I don’t need 250 letters to tell anybody this. Practices are shady and staff is rude and no help. I hate this company!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

Fleeced my mother -83 and a dementia sufferer- for £50 auto annual fee. She hasn't used a computer for over 3 years and doesn't know what day it is. After 30+ minutes waiting on Customer Help line hoping to plead her case, I gave up. Online help equally useless. Thank God I moved to Mac years ago and don't need these shysters.

Original review: April 13, 2019

I have been a faithful Norton user since 1997. I even tried their terrible VPN with Norton Core. I stopped the Core and VPN. I went back to just their best Security for all my devices. It worked for years. Now I find out that if I change from my auto renewal to just paying like I have for years when my subscription is about to expire I lose all benefits of having the best subscription. Try to unsubscribe from the auto renew and read what it says you will lose if you do. They are losing customers so fast they have to stoop to this level to keep subscribers? If this is true it is scary.

Original review: April 6, 2019

In November I called Norton customer service for help with my current subscription. I cancelled my existing subscription because I no longer had the computer it was tied to and started new service for up to 3 devices. Later, when I tried adding devices I couldn't so I called their customer service and was told my subscription didn't include any additional devices. I ended the call to check my notes from November.

My notes supported my understanding of the agreement. I logged on to my Norton account today and contacted customer service through chat to cancel my subscription and request a refund for the balance. They assured me my subscription is scheduled to "cancel" in November. I restated my request to cancel today and receive a partial refund. I was transferred to a supervisor who said said I purchased my subscription through a third party; not Norton so.... I ended the chat and called Norton customer service who repeated this information that Norton didn't receive my money. She couldn't explain to me how that happened when I called Norton. Seriously. In November They were able to locate my account, cancel that subscription and start a new one.

The representative was going to have me talk to a supervisor but they weren't available so she said I would need to call back tomorrow. I asked if there was a name I could give when I call. "No," she said. There are several supervisors. Just not now. 10 minutes ago one was chatting with me online but now there are none. I am beyond fuming right now.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: April 5, 2019

I have been using Norton for well over 15 yrs and they haven't changed. For some reason they think it's ok to change your sub. renewal choice hidden in an update. This time (the last) they stuck me for $96.00. Still fighting with them but my bank has my back, guess it pays to have a Federal Account. Their product is good but their business practices are real shady to put it mildly. Save yourself a lot of problems and find another vendor, there are enough of them out there.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Like many other people, I purchased Norton online for ease of updating/renewing and so I didn't have to run to Walmart. It was 39.99 and would renew automatically every year at that price. If the price would go up, they were suppose to notify me so I had a chance to cancel. Not only did they charge me a month early, they charged me 69.99 and never notified me. I filed a complaint with Paypal but they said Norton supplied them evidence that shows I agreed to the price.

I sent them all the emails and receipts proving my claim but they still denied my complaint and would not show me the supposed "evidence" that I asked for more than once. NEVER give anyone, especially Norton, the ability to auto bill. They are stealing our money. This is blatant theft, unfortunately the law enforcement in this country is pathetic and ** backwards. Go to Walmart and buy something inexpensive each year, it's the only way to protect yourself from Norton who is paid to protect you. DON'T BUY NORTON!!

Original review: March 11, 2019

Norton Internet Security Premium for 10 devices is listed for $54.99 online and on the Norton website. Norton sent an email asking me to renew and pay $109 for 1 year and get 6 months free, or pay $189 for 2 years and get 12 months free. Those prices are DOUBLE and TRIPLE the normal price. Last year I had to turn off auto renewal because Norton would automatically charge 50% more than the normal price. I have never seen a company so unethical and disloyal to its customers.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I had used Norton for years and like many others on here they took money a month early. I did not get any notices or anything. It was 96 dollars. They did refund after I called and canceled. It caused me to have a thirty six dollar overdraft. That was a lot of money to me. Maybe somebody will start a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I am flabbergasted that Norton Security company can do this. I turned off autorenewal on my computer. Norton security has been sending me emails and have mailed me notices in the months of Dec 2018 and Jan 2019 that my service is to expire in freaking August 2019. That's 8 months away, WTH??? The company has badgered me that I must turn it on asap... I never did as I am shopping for other antivirus software. I just received notices they billed me anyway. The only way I can see how this occurred is there was an update on all software on phone and they turned it on... to have the audacity to charge me knowing that I never physically turned on autorenewal chafes my hide. Security, yes I need security. Pray tell who can protect me from them???

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

My computer crashed after Norton blocked an "attack", I have lost all my data. It took several hundred dollars to recover my computer and I reinstall programs. Tdata was all lost, even though I had the extra storage to save data... Norton never paid my expenses, they kept telling me it was not their fault... Eventually I have cancelled all my services with them and got confirmation emails that I have switched off auto renewal on my credit card back in 5/2017. Yet they have charged me for renewal for 2018 and just now in 2019. When I called them, they said they will not refund the charge from 2018 because they had a breach in their system and that somehow justified (??) stealing their customer's money and charging me for something I have not authorized. Ridiculous at the best, fraudulent the worst.. Stay away from this company!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

A couple of days ago I tried running a Quick Scan on my computer that uses Norton Security software. When I did, the program reported a 3038, 104 error. Following Norton's instructions, I removed and reinstalled the software. When I rebooted the same error message came up. I then contacted the Norton Technical Support people. Three separate technical support people tried numerous things to fix the problem. They never fixed it. Worse yet, after their worthless efforts my computer was in worse shape. For example, I could not connect to the Internet and several programs that were on my system were deleted by the work of the Norton people. Overall, they have abysmally poor technical support. When it comes time to get new anti-virus software I will buy something other than Norton. How utterly disappointing!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I purchased Norton's Premium Antivirus package and was automatically billed in December 2018. In January 2019 I'm billed for their Basic AntiVirus product. I called customer service and got a guy who I couldn't understand - Indian, Pakistani, Bangladesh, I don't know. What I wanted to know was how come the double billing that I never made - and automatically to my credit card at that. Never got back to me, even though I complained on the survey a day afterwards. Who runs this ham-n-egger outfit?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

This is the second year in a row that my checking account was charged for Norton renewal. I didn't even have a debit card on file last year, and they were still able to get my debit card information from my bank and charge my account. I asked how that was even possible without my consent. This time my account was charged a whole month in advance, and made sure I did not sign up for automatic renewal, due to what happened to me last year. Lo and behold it happened again this year!! Their business practices are horrible, and dishonest. I did not budget that $100 dollars into my bills and utilities for the week!!! Word of advice, check your account with them monthly, remove any credit card or debit card information from your account, and make sure AUTOMATIC RENEWAL is TURNED OFF!!! This is unfair, dishonest, and ridiculous to customers!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Upgraded to new computers. Downloaded newest Norton 360 for Windows 10. Have used Norton since they were PC Tools in the 80's. The new Vault has me swearing at my computer. Every Morning my Vault is closed. Before I can log in to the Vault I must log in to Norton. (After 20 seconds...) I am asked to login to my Vault. If I update anything or my computer restarts I must go thru the 2 logins again! I am told that Norton now stores my Vault at their servers. My wife and I live at home. Physical security is not an issue! Unless our computers restart we should not have to log in 2 times again. Also, given the overall lack of security at large server sites I am very uncomfortable with Norton maintaining my Vault!!! I am now researching other security software!!!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

January 4, 2019 - My last subscription to Norton Antivirus expired in April, 2008. Since then Norton has annually charged my credit card for a renewal - even though I ended auto payment on my account (it obviously did not work) and my profile shows no billing information. I discovered last year (2018) that this recurring renewal was happening and I contested it. Again this year they attempted to charge my credit card. I have disputed it again, they have agreed to a refund, and my credit card company is aware of this action. It will be a miracle if they follow through but I am watching closely. Bottom line is that Norton which is owned by Symantec and also markets Lifelock is unethical and dishonest. They claim to protect our computers from phishing, viruses and scams while charging people for services that are never delivered. Stay away from Norton products!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I was a loyal customer since the late 90's. It seems the product gets worse every year. I ran tests on my PC with infected files. Norton could detect but not remove. A majority of their techs, are clueless.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

BEWARE! BEWARE! BEWARE! Norton WILL steal from you. Never sign up with them, never take any of their products... Never deal with them. Full stop! They have taken £64.99 from my account, without my permission and will not refund it. I received no warning or correspondence from them. Because they did it using my debit card details my bank can't refund the funds apparently. Trustpilot needs a zero star option, as one star is one star too many.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was charged $96.63 from my checking account for renewing my subscription a month before it was due. When I called to cancel, a customer service rep told me that she took off the auto-renewal and that my account would be credited in 7 to 10 days. I waited and there was no refund. I emailed the company and got no response from them, so after a few days I called again. I was told by a supervisor that the first rep never put in for a refund and that I would now get a refund in about 5 to 7 days. I do not recommend this company as I do not trust them. If for some reason I do not get my refund I will come back and write another review and turn them in to the BBB.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I've used Norton for at least a decade now. It used to be a very good and frankly dependable product. Now this is nothing more than one big ad for other Norton products. I get tons of pop ups for this or that Norton product negating the enjoyment of my online time. It gives pop ups constantly! What a sad thing this product has become. I now must look for another Antivirus product. Old dependable is no more.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I received notification that my antivirus was about to expire and I needed to renew it. I decided I was going to wait until near the expiration date (Dec. 2) to renew. Approximately 2 weeks after the notification I received a notice from my bank that a transaction for $149.98 was declined from my bank card. Since I knew of no such amount, I opened the notice and saw it was from Norton. I thank God that I had lost that bank card and it was cancelled. I remember nothing about an automatic renewal, but I do know I will not be renewing with Norton again. When l tried to reply to an email they sent; the notice said the email is not monitored, I had to call them. They have tried to charge that same card several times. A new subscription for the same product that I had is only $49.99. I am going to just let the subscription expire.

Norton Security expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Norton Antivirus has been protecting computers since 1982 and was purchased by the software development company Symantec in 1991. The Norton Security division offers antivirus and other security solutions for home and business.

• Works across devices: Norton Security works across all PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets, but you will have to upgrade to the deluxe or premium version to protect multiple devices. Annual subscriptions range from $59.99 to $89.99 across three versions, and discounts are offered for the first year of protection.

• Norton Power Eraser: If you suspect that traces of malware remain after scanning your computer, you can use the Power Eraser to restart your computer and then dig even deeper to detect the most aggressive malware.

• Strong anti-phishing: Norton uses several layers of security to detect fraudulent websites that try to steal your personal information. This stops identity theft.

• Award winning software: Over the years, Norton has been awarded by PC Magazine as a top choice in antivirus software. Awards were granted after thorough testing.

• 100% guarantee: If Norton Security can’t clean a virus from your computer or device at any time during your subscription, you will get your money back.

• Best for: Individuals and businesses.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

Norton Security (formerly Norton Antivirus) Company Information