3.8/5 (905 ratings)

About Microsoft

Microsoft Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Microsoft?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

With Windows it seems to start with updates. Updates announce a coming Tsunami of issues. This last time began like the last have. Updates got more frequent until stopper happened. Edge asserted itself as the wannabe dominant default browser first. I finally moved to it, found it to be faulty and when I moved back to Google I was attacked. I have lost my Settings app. Without it I can only operate on a superficial level. Imagine that. My mouse can only right click on my start button. That brings up the background list and important things like Settings don't activate. I have looked around for help and I see a lot of the same complaint. I tried one Microsoft answer that did nothing. Norton was very active...watching all of this with no help. I suspect Norton. It has happened before with Norton involved. I need a new computer...possible not windows... and a new security program. **

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I have had a few Surface tablets over the years including the very first model, all worked fine. Since then, I have had laptops from many different companies with varying quality etc. It was time for a new laptop so I thought I would try Surface again, big mistake. I bought the Surface Pro 8 with i7-1185G7 at 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz; 16 gigs RAM and a 256gig SSD. It seemed to be acting a bit "strange" from the beginning, but I thought it was me adjusting to this tablet. Well, it all went downhill from there. I contacted Microsoft support a few times, they had me re-install Windows a few times but every time a new issue would come up. After several support sessions they said that the hardware was defective, and I needed to have a replacement.

I thought that was ok until they said it would be a used "reconditioned" unit that would function perfectly. Having had "reconditioned" units in the past I knew that I was just acquiring someone else's issues. Plus, I had only had the unit for just over two months! So, I said that I would rather upgrade to a different model and pay the difference. Because this had gone on so long the 60-day period for return/exchange had passed. I was told by one agent that Microsoft had a trade-in program, so I checked it out. The amount that Microsoft wanted to give me for two-and-a-half-month-old Surface was $180!!! I paid over $2000 for it. My issue and request was sent to a "team" and they said because my Surface was bought 90 days ago, I would only receive a used unit and no return and upgrade.

Needless to say, I said no and will relegate it to the few things that it can still do. I would never buy a Microsoft product again. Over the years I have been a loyal customer and apologist of theirs. I've had many Surface units, countless Microsoft laptops from many different manufacturers, three Surface phones (remember them?) etc. They have made clear that they have no interest in customer service, all they want is our money and get lost.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2022

I am not totally computer savvy, so I find some of Microsoft Office not user-friendly. The Calendar has no holidays, there should be a pick of holidays to add to the calendar. The folders on the desktop screen are either too large or too small, and they do not alphabetize and do not seem to be able to be put in rows, there is not a file cabinet view. The text of what is within the folder should be on the folder as an option, not just below the folder. Basically, this software seems okay if one does not have a lot of work, but not the greatest if one has a lot of work. When I renewed my Office, the icons did not appear on my desktop screen, I have to login for them to work, and this has never happened before and I have Microsoft Office for decades. It is difficult to set up outlook and maintain it, so I do not use it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

Broken/defective product game didn't deliver what was promised with false advertising and gameplay. Downright unplayable, Buggy glitchy mess. When I asked for a refund after owning it for less than 24 hours with less than 3 hours of playtime, they denied me. Buyer beware Microsoft even tho they state clearly they offer refunds for digital purchases. When you try and request a refund they will tell you they don't offer it at all. When are these companies going to be held accountable for selling broken products?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

10/10 do not recommend ordering from Microsoft. My husband and I knew we would not be available to receive a package at home so we put the delivery address as my work address where it could be delivered. Microsoft took it upon themselves to change the delivery address to our home address. It has been a week and still no Xbox and we are out $500 and can’t even get ahold of someone to help us. I will never order from Microsoft again.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I've had this laptop for years and I regret every moment of having it. Every time I reach out to some one in customer service they never care to help me with the problem or even try, they also refer me or transfer me to someone else or HP and in the end having to be transferred more than once is a issue. NO one at Microsoft takes ownership of the customers' issues, let alone foster an environment where it sounds like they care about our issues and really want to help. Today I ran into another software issue where the laptop out of nowhere for the first time decide it wants to restart and ask of a BitLocker Key which HP states always happens on its own with Microsoft computers. I despise calling into Microsoft. It's the worst company I ever dealt with. I'm in school and have had more issues with this computer than any other brand of maker. I will definitely be shopping for another computer this weekend.

Resolution response: Sept. 10, 2022

After hours dealing with phone and chat support, I was finally able to get in touch with someone from Microsoft who was actually able to help and not just lie about it. Unfortunately, it required me filing a BBB report. But once I filed the BBB report, a "senior specialist" reached out directly to me and that same day submitted the refund the company owed me. So in the end the company honored the promised discount, but it should have not taken the extreme effort I put in to obtain it. Buyer beware.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

The rep who sold me the Surface lied to me and the company refuses to honor the $100 post-sale credit they promised. Even though it was written and saved in the chat log. Two follow-up chat conversations and a very long phone call to sales support and each time was told "we can't do anything, but we've put a note in for the chat rep and they will contact you tomorrow to fix this". All **. No one ever follows up. Asking for a manager gets you hung up on. Which means another 30 minutes on hold or waiting for a chat rep to respond. I will never buy another Microsoft device again.

Original review: July 28, 2022

As a news source, really bad. Content stays on for days and becomes irrelevant - not helpful if news is what they want to provide. Also, have to sort through so many ads to get to actual information, again, if you are trying to be a news source, make me sort through the news to find the ads, not the other way around. Also, many of the stories are related to controversial issues and the most inflammatory take on them rather than just reporting the facts - amusing some people think MSN is liberal - most links are to Fox News. Not saying Fox is bad, I choose a variety of sources to get balanced coverage on issues, but liberal, MSN is not.

Original review: July 20, 2022

I wish I could rate lower than a 1/5. I ordered a Surface Pro 7+ bundle back in March 2022 with the type cover keyboard being shipped in mid-May 2022. While FedEx lost the type cover package, I have contacted Microsoft customer support five separate times to handle the issue. They kept blaming FedEx, however, they did not offer a solution to resolve my problem. I did everything that they told me including filing a claim with FedEx on June 2 which FedEx sent to Microsoft to approve and no response so the file was closed 3 weeks later. I had to reopen the file with FedEx and try calling back Microsoft to approve it. I have asked Microsoft several times if they could resend the type cover and they said that they could not each time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and they said someone would call me back within 10 minutes and then another 3 weeks went by with no phone call.

Then they told me they would give me a reference number for a credit towards the type cover which is not in stock and they do not know when it will be back in stock. They said that I need to keep checking back and call when it is available to reorder. I asked them if they could just send one to me once it is back in stock, however, they said that they would not do that. I have wasted so much time and it has been over two months since the package was lost and dealing with Microsoft. They are not helpful and this is a very upsetting experience. I am going to return my surface and go buy an Apple instead. I have always been an Android person, but at this point, I want to get rid of all Microsoft products.

Original review: July 11, 2022

I received an email from the actual legit Microsoft support saying there was a sign-in activity from Ukraine, and it gave the IP address and other information. Sent from account-security-noreply at accountprotection.microsoft dot com. But when I manually checked my "recent activity" in my Microsoft account, no such sign in was listed, either successful or otherwise. I contacted support about it, and after over an hour of trying to convey the issue, they finally just stated "it's fine, don't worry about it. You are secure." At which point I asked them why this happens, to which they replied "it is the random emails. Don't worry about it."

So of course I asked "Random emails?" But they continued to just say "Your account is secure. There is no sign in from Ukraine, is there anything else I can help you with?" After having gone AFK for a long time as if to check for the activity... It was very suspicious and I asked for a transcript of the entire chat. They insisted there would be one. When I asked for reasons why I would receive an email from them about unusual activity that isn't showing up in my recent activity, they said they'd 'forward' it to a tech team." So I requested they email the transcript AND give me the case number for this 'forwarded' case. They insisted it would be emailed after I stopped talking with them on the chat.

I insisted they email it beforehand. He gave me the current case number. I requested the case number of the FORWARDED case, and he said it's the same number... After being promised an email of the transcript of course I hang up and no such email was ever sent. So I ask you, would you feel safe knowing you received a legitimate email from Microsoft saying unusual sign in activity has been reported from another country, only to be told "nah don't worry about it. It's totally fine. That didn't happen. That email was just random." So what is Microsoft actually doing with my account info? Are they picking and choosing what actually gets reported to me?

Microsoft Company Information