Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

McAfee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: April 19, 2021

Purchased from McAfee website. 1/11/2021. There is a reason why there are so many videos teaching you how to uninstall McAfee. McAfee is money hungry. I've had nothing but problems with McAfee software. Just after downloading and purchasing, my system began running incredibly slow. So the McAfee website said if I added another product it would speed things up. I installed the new product and my system died. Nothing could or would move.

After running into one error after another I called a tech company. They held onto my system for 10 days. During that time I was told the McAfee products were the cause of the problems. So I asked them to uninstall. Then McAfee began sending me emails stating that its software had saved me from specific virus'. How is that possible, it's not even installed. Could it be that those emails are a canned email McAfee sends everyone? Including those people who don't have their software installed.

I tried to get my subscription refunded. Especially since my computer has not been using it since before my 30 days were up. The Customer Service rep said I should have called. Even though I explained how do you call with your account info when your system is in the shop with all of your account info unavailable to you. You know what I was doing during that time. I was trying to work. I didn't even ask them to cover the tech bill. I just wanted to be refunded my subscription. How do you call or look something up when you don't have access? I can't be the only consumer with a problem with their software. But CS staff sent me to tech who sent me to billing who sent me back to customer service who said ... No refund. How do you call McAfee without your computer, account number or any info to get your refund for a product you used for less than 30 days. How is that possible?

Original review: March 5, 2021

I purchased a beautiful new laptop and was immediately turned off by the amount of pop-ups preventing me from accessing everything!!! Firstly, I am a very calm individual. My vocabulary is clean and pure. However, I swore. many times at the sight of these ungodly pop-ups. Pls change this @Mcafee. :( I uninstalled so quick, and am still bombarded by mcafee notifications?? How and why is this allowed???? This is not a god-honouring antivirus program and I have since looked (and found) elsewhere. Good riddance this sucked really bad., lowkey. Would not recommend or even bring up in conversation with anyone else due to the distress that this software has caused me. I am now unwell. My therapist has heard about this. There are better free ones online btw. (@TotalAV) ;) xoxo thank you and be well.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

I haven't used McAfee in 10 years and now I remember why. The first time I opened my phone this morning, I had 2 emails from McAfee - an "order confirmation" email, and a "request to reset a password", all received before I even woke up. I didn't place any orders or make any accounts, nor have I ever had a McAfee account on this email. I called them and they "refunded my order" but kept calling it "my order" or "my account". When I corrected them and said that I never made this account, somebody else used my identity to make it, I was told repeatedly that I "probably ordered it by mistake". It was beyond patronizing and actually shocking for a company that is supposedly a "leader" in identity theft protection to not take this seriously. I also cannot find a single place to file a complaint or even provide feedback. Never use this company!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

McAfee has billed me two consecutive years for service I do not have. After numerous contacts with customer service, they can't find any account for me, yet the charges continue to show up on my credit card statement. The CS representative uses the phrase "is there anything else I can help you with?" after they acknowledge they can't find any reason for the billing but have not helped me clear it up in the first place. I always have to go through the dispute/resolution service on the card to stop the payment. It is unfathomable to me that this company can charge me over one hundred dollars annually, but can't find out how to stop it.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

I am very disappointed with McAfee's customer service based on my following personal experience that is still not resolved. I highly recommend that someone within the McAfee Corporation review the customer service process that currently exists. I have been a long time customer of McAfee and am currently using their service. My issue - I have been working to resolve my overpayment situation with McAfee since 6-18-2020 (yes 2020). Due to the auto enrollment process and email notices of cancellation process, I was double billed for an extended period of time for the same service. On 6/18/2020 I was advised by customer service representative Emmanuel at 866-622-3911 that a supervisor would contact me - that never occurred.

Finally on 12/11/2020 I was able to speak with a supervisor (Chris who was very helpful) and I was provided a subsequent email communication from Dinesh ** on 12/20/2020 that my refund for overpayment would be received within 3 weeks. When the refund was not received, I sent 2 follow-up emails on 1/19/2021 and 1/23/2021 to Customer service and no response was received. As a result, on 2/6/2021, I followed up on my refund status and was advised by Victor that a McAfee supervisor would contact me within two business days to determine why I had not received my refund. No call back occurred. On 2/9/2021, I spoke with Raymond and Jeremy at 9:15 am who advised me that a Supervisor would call me back before the close of business on 2/9 - No call back occurred.

I called on 2/10 at 4:09pm and spoke with Angelo who advised me that I would receive a call back before the end of the day at 5:30pm on 2/10. No call back occurred. I then called back at 5:45pm on 2/10 and spoke with Christy and inquired why I had not received a call back as had been repeatedly promised and she advised me that she didn't know but a Supervisor would call me back in 3 days. My claim number for reference is **. Every consumer that is anticipating doing business with McAfee needs to be aware of their customer service process should an issue occur that he/she may need to resolve. I'm still waiting on a call back and a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2021

I purchased a one year plan. This software is full of pop ups (not internet browser popups, but reminders and warning that cannot be turned off). Near the end of the 1 year plan I received an email saying my subscription would NOT auto renew because my payment details needed to be updated. Good, because I did not want to renew for another year.

2 weeks go by and it auto renewed and payment successfully went through. When I discovered this I hopped into their chat and kept getting 'randomly' disconnected when I let them know what happened. I recorded all conversations and was given someone new each time saying "I cannot see your previous conversations etc" even though I let them know I recorded it myself and could send the entire conversation via the current chat window.

Long story short, I had to call in as they didn't seem keen on helping via chat. When I called and after a long wait to speak with someone from another country, I was told I could not get a refund. Not sure how this could have ever been prevented, on my end. Disappointed in this company. Shop elsewhere, their virus protection is not good to begin with, and when you end your subscription you get so many notifications that you'd swear McAfee was the virus.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I renew annually with McAfee because they have live technical support. The POPUPS are another category. If it were NOT for the CONSTANT POPUPS, they would deserve 5 gold stars. If everyone you did business with sent the constant ANNOYING USELESS messages like McAfee, you wouldn't have time to wipe.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

After not being impressed with McAfee on my windows 10 PC I removed it as best I could via Microsoft program removal. While I believe it has been removed I continue to get during every PC session popup advertising at the bottom right of my PC screen. This is uninvited and I suspect it is a function of some McAfee code buried in the heart of my PC. I have spent hours attempting to contact them via email to no avail - I can't get any consumer oriented (vs corporate) support screens to come up from their endless advertising pages. So while I don't rate their applications of any value I rate their support as totally useless.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Installed MacAfee Total Protection on multiple devices and had no problems for 2 months (how convenient to be outside of the refund/trial period)... Started noticing that outgoing emails had an extra paragraph added to the top and contained odd characters... Before I had time to check it out I got a text from a client telling me that the email I sent was blank. It was then I noticed that ALL the emails I sent that morning (4 hours worth of work) were all BLANK... So not only did I send blank emails I no longer had a copy of what was originally in them... (So now I get to redo 4 hours of work... Hope I can remember all the details!). Apparently this is KNOWN ISSUE between MacAfee and Outlook Desktop! Unbelievable!

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Consumer-General-Discussions/Outlook-2016-and-McAfee-add-in-causing-sending-of-blank-emails/td-p/621010. No idea why this known issue didn't seem to be an issue at all until I used for a few months... (I won't make any accusations, but seriously?) I promptly uninstalled all of it and contacted MacAfee for an explanation...and/or refund... Neither were to be had. By the way, the subscription I bought was for TWO YEARS. $$$$ GONE. There were other issues with this software that were undesirable, but this was the main deal killer. I can't believe that such a well know software would basically perform like a virus it was supposed to be blocking. Save yourself and don't do what I did... Buy something different.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I renewed my McAfee security in December 2020 for two years. As it was a new laptop I used a new email address. I have received, up to 5 email a day to old email address, saying I am not covered. I telephoned yesterday and explained that I was fed up with receiving these messages. I was assured it would never happen again. Given a number **. Guess what. Today another 5 emails saying I was not covered and to renew immediately. They just don’t listen. I am now considering a refund. I feel this is harassment.

McAfee author review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
      2821 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara