3.13/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

McAfee

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

812 McAfee Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 11, 2019

Attempts to contact the service for cancellation is impossible. Have tried telephone and was disconnected. Had a Chat session with an individual which lasted 20 min and was informed my account was cancelled. The next day my was charged bank acct was charged again before normal cycle. This company does not respond to complaints. Should be prosecuted.

Original review: July 10, 2019

I canceled Safe Connect in March and had a confirmation case #. My credit card is still getting charged. Called and representative McAfee said it was not completely canceled, only the access key was removed but the not the subscription. This is a thief behavior, robbing customers.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Beware McAfee Anti-Virus Software. My subscription to my McAfee Anti-virus software recently expired so I clicked on the provided link to renew. Having duly paid the $39.99 renewal fee I downloaded the update but had to call a provided number to have the software activated. The call respondent had me download software to take control of my computer. He spent a long time explaining that my system was not fully covered and had several exposures. Problems that precluded him from finish the installation of the software with correction of the problem. Unsurprisingly, he had a solution for me: For only $449 he could clear the issues and offer me lifetime protection or a one year solution for only $299! When I refused, he asked my my age then told me he could offer me a senior citizens price that was slightly lower.

At this point I told him just to activate what I had paid for. He told me he couldn't so I told him to refund my money and I would find an alternative solution as I was disgusted with the sales practice. He agreed but warned me that any problems from here would not be their responsibility. I am now suspicious of what might have been loaded to my system, during his control session, that I don't know about. Trust is gone and I will never purchase a McAfee product again.

Original review: June 26, 2019

McAfee had a free download offer! Don't fall for it, I did. I kept getting these pop ups from McAfee about I needed their protection software. They hit me with a 20 percent discount, and I fell for it. I downloaded their software and then you have call for their technician. He want permission to access my computer and I fell for that and let him. He downloaded a virus scan program that found all these errors that needed to be fixed right now. But he wanted $395 to fix all the supposed problems. The priced tag shocked my senses and I refused to give him a credit card number. After I continued to refuse him we finally hung up and then a Google search found they are running a rip-off scam. I have since downloaded "Cleanmymac" which works and is 100 percent better than McAfee.

Original review: June 25, 2019

After buying this regular MSFT type laptop I started getting all the usual pop ups. I bought a forty dollar annual package for a year. That's right, a year. Of course they are going to auto renew it but I figured they would message me at that time a year later. In the meantime the virus protection was not any good according to themselves. They were right so I decided I wouldn't renew. But at 3AM on the annual date of renew they hacked my card for $120. And they sent me an email saying they were doing that. I have no idea why it's $120. Of course by 8AM I'm into the next year.

I decided to stop payment through my credit card, actually Capital One stopped payment. But now they investigated and paid McAfee anyway saying I should have read the fine print that allows them to screw me with the help of Capital One which also stands to gain in the transaction. The lesson is McAfee, MSFT, MAC/Apple, Lenovo or any other screw you outfit can screw us anytime they want and the large financials like it 'cause they get a piece!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: May 30, 2019

This past Memorial Day 5/27/19 we purchased a new laptop from Office Depot. With the computer the salesman offered a McAfee LiveSafe card deal for $5, so we purchased this card. When I brought the new laptop home I started to download this McAfee LiveSafe.. but I received an error, that it couldn’t download the antivirus software. I clicked on tech support and I received a call from them right away. I followed this so called techs advice to allow him access to this new laptop. He started to run some diagnostic on the laptop and our home network. He so called discovered some really bad virus or bug called ASPROX BOTNET, on our home network... He took me to Wikipedia to show me how bad this was and bla bla bla then he threw me some price tags to get some protection on our network. 1 year $124.95 and you're only 75% protected, 3 years at 85% was $245.99, and 5 years 99% $359.99.

Luckily I don’t make any big financial purchase without my husband. I described this to him and he called our internet provider and continued to ask the tech for our internet about this infection of our network. He ran a scan and found NO issues. I then added Bitdefender which has been our antivirus for a year now and works great. And everything worked fine. McAfee is totally running a scam. I would highly recommend staying away from this company..

Original review: May 20, 2019

Duped into Purchase of LiveSAFE due to threats from McAfee that we were not protected by McAfee Multi Access. Now with both LiveSAFE and Multi Access from McAfee, still getting pop-ups with threats of viral invasion. None of this ever happened in the past when I didn't purchase McAfee LIVESAFE but relied on the free McAfee Multi Access provided by AOL. Now that I purchased LIVESAFE, McAfee explained that without renewing LIVESAFE, the Multi Access - free from AOL - would have to be installed "correctly" by AOL...This is again the unspoken threat (civil discourse that violates me more than being robbed directly). Why can't Mcafee take the responsibility of ensuring their Multi Access received for free from AOL is installed properly. McAfee runs McAfee installation and AOL does not.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I intentionally decided NOT to renew my McAfee virus protection three years ago. I have a Master's Degree and regularly use my computer. In other words, I have assessed the costs and risks and made my decision. Yet, McAfee continues to issue unwarranted popups to remind me that I have not renewed with them. Stop interrupting the work I'm doing on my desktop to fill the bottom right corner of my screen with your advertising! This is invasive, insulting and annoying!

Original review: May 12, 2019

I was initially pleased McAffee canceled my antivirus and proceeded to give me a refund on my credit card. Problem was they credited the wrong card for that subscription. The subscription I had canceled was purchased years ago for an old computer I no longer use. Initially, I saw on my credit card statement they charged me for that old computer's antivirus via auto-renewal. I immediately contacted them asking for the antivirus on that computer to be canceled and give me a credit refund. After a month of not getting the credit refund, and spending a lot of time on the phone with McAffee (and the credit card company McAffee applied the credit to) I discovered they processed the credit to the wrong credit card!

Like most people, I have several credit cards. You can't get credit on an account unless you made the original purchase on that account. I also had two separate McAffee antivirus account/subscriptions at one time. After explaining the situation to the McAffee representative, he tells me, "The credit has been issued. Talk to your bank." I see the original charge right in front of my eyes (on a different credit card statement) and yet they won't accept what I am telling them. Just apply the credit to the correct card, right? I have the proper account number and I'm wanting to give you the information! I explain the problem again, stating they made a mistake and processed the credit to the wrong credit card. He tells me again, "The credit has been issued, talk to your bank." I had to demand to talk to a supervisor.

It was the most frustrating conversation I have ever had on the phone with customer service ANYWHERE! I'm supposed to get a call from a supervisor tomorrow. I hope this gets corrected. Based on my experience, McAffee's customer service is terrible. The reps...you can hardly understand them. They say the same thing over and over and don't acknowledge what you are saying. This is a mistake that should easily be corrected. It should not take three attempts on the phone and a verbal battle with a customer rep you can't understand and who obviously has no authority to make things right. My McAffee antivirus runs out on my other laptops in November. I will NEVER us McAffee again...nor will I recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I recently canceled McAfee Total Protection and removed it from all of my office computers due to the fact that is was slowing our computers down and flagging regular used sites as harmful. I called for a prorated refund for the time not used being that I paid for a year in advanced and was refused the refund. I was also told there was no supervisor to speak with.

Original review: April 27, 2019

My stupid internet company and another dumb internet company picked Mcafee piece of crap product to include with their WiFi internet. But I actually like to use my computer and all McAfee products do is freeze and slow my computer. I think McAfee products are viruses. I can’t use my computer. I had to pay to have it repaired and it could not. Norton is much better. McAfee has ruined all my computers. Toshiba computer was so destroyed it would freeze. Toshiba is worst computer it would not break. I tried to destroy computer after McAfee put spyware and viruses. I dropped it, poured coke on it. It was bad computer. McAfee ruined my 2015 laptop. It won’t turn on and I paid $688. It only worked 2 weeks then McAfee screen said McAfee installed virus.

My friend said Spectrum internet offer McAfee product. But it said virus scan cancelled. Virus installed. Then computer shut down. Hard drive fried. 22497 euro Apple computer was ruined in 10 minutes from download at Spectrum website. Her sister download McAfee product. Windstream internet said ”It is safe for computer. You need software on Mac, pc, phone, tablet..” He gave her link for McAfee mobile. The link not work. It just load same page over and over. She download Norton mobile. It detect virus and said McAfee link was not safe.

I do not have funds currently to replace my damaged computer. I cannot afford to move out of my flat because I owe money on the computer and for computer repairs. Computer was not repaired and was put in the waste bin. Internet company and McAfee ruin lives and I am still seething from seeing my ruined computers in the rubbish bin. The euros I spent on those computers that McAfee products destroyed through the years could have afforded me and my baby a nice house in a safe area. My friend and her sister want to sue McAfee for destroying computers. McAfee is fake product. I only hope to be able to save euros again to buy new computer and a house. I told realtor I saved some money for down payment for house. She showed me a house and then McAfee ruined my computer and I said to realtor I cannot afford house. McAfee ruined computer. She said that McAfee ruined her computer.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I bought first a year contract, it seemed ok, then bought a 3 years one - now they are threatening me with viruses full 2 months!!! Before its expiry; if anyone is thinking of using McAfee in any shape or form, I'd advise NO NO NO!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I live in Spain, but am English, last year I bought a McAfee product but had lots of problems, so ditched it. Got an email last month saying they were going to auto renew at a charge of $89.95, I said by way of reply no thank you I do not want your product!! They have ignored me and taken money from my bank. I will be contacting my bank about a refund. I am disgusted with the attitude of this company. Stephen **, 03740 Espana.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I changed my card for auto renew. McAfee later charged the wrong card. They then told me that it will take over a week to credit the money back to the correct card. Lucky I can afford the money for a very short time but what if all the people who would have other bills bounce because of their error. This is theft, this is fraud, this is totally unacceptable.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I paid for an antivirus. I went to log in to download it per instructions, and where the link takes you is to pay for the product again. There was nowhere to log in. I went to the homepage, found "My Account" and tried logging in. It said wrong login information so I used Forgot My Password. I clicked the link to change my password on the email and it took me to the page to have to pay for the product again that did not have anywhere with "my account" "login" or any other possible way. I had to go back to the home page and never was able to get into the account, never getting the product. I contacted support and they claimed I never paid but I have proof the funds were deducted from my debit card. I sent a screenshot that I was charged and they said I still had to pay again.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I started my plan in 2015. Now when trying to renew for 2018 I find I have been billed for all these years and have not been covered by McAfee. They only want to refund one year payment. I have had to schedule a second phone call from manager because he never kept first phone call. Very rinky dink business.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I have been trying to get a refund for over 4 months since November last year and have been lied to on numerous occasions that a refund is on its way and nothing then happens. I have been given several different service numbers, been escalated to another department, spoken eventually to a supervisor but nothing has made any difference. I can only assume that they are stealing my money. I would never use them again. They are the worst company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED! I have been having issues the past couple of weeks. I bought a Roku device and notice in the past week, I can seem to stay connected to internet. I spoke to my service provider. Of course everything is ok. I spoke to the maker of router. They were of no help. Then I spoke to Roku customer service and they actually found several errors dating back over a month. Trojan was in there along with incomplete updates and scans. Several error reports which never showed up on the scans. Myself not being well computer educated... I am now paying a tech form Cisco to go in and remove and fix files for me, $80, which isn't bad, to get everything right but why did I waste my money on McAfee that really should have caught these issues. I'm very disappointed and will steer away from any McAfee products in the future seeing for myself that they failed at what they said they would do!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had McAfee Total Protection for several years, with the current subscription expiration on 3/13/2019. So today I clicked on their renewal popup and purchased LiveSafe for 2 years, now my McAfee expires 2/11/2021. Lost 1 month of coverage for wanting to be sure I am protected. Instead I feel screwed. WARNING don't get screwed by wanting to be a consumer of their product, don't renew until the last day of your subscription. Read the fine print.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

Recently noticed a monthly charge of 80 dollars being charged to my credit card monthly and has been happening for the last two years. I never authorized this payment as I have one computer and authorized only a payment of 20 dollars which they somehow deemed fit to sneak in an 60 dollars into my monthly charge. This is a lot of money for me to spend and incensed me when I figured out how much they were taking as I never agreed to this charge. When talking to customer service they were eager to refund me for only ONE MONTH because they claim I authorized this fee service (which I very well did not). After they agreed to be oh so kind to refund me a sarcastically generous 80 dollars their customer service rep proceeded to ask me if I wanted to pay a 60 dollar service for 50 percent off.

This was obscene and clearly a calculated script. From the quick response to offer me a one month refund as well as a "how about this service" arm-nudge which I rejected and then canceled my subscription entirely. Based on this interaction it is clear that this isn't the first time McAfee has been called for essentially stealing money as they didn't seem to care about giving a refund or anything else. This company and all its execs are crooked and just here for tech moneys. They do not care about their customers or their service, only money. So save yourself the stress I had and find a better service that isn't full of thieves and is credited. You will be much happier.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I am 83 year retired accountant and not one to make complaints but considering my recent experience I should warn others that they will never be successful with their complaints, no matter how justified their complaints are. In order to prove my points I detail below my recent experience with a level 3 American executive customer service assistant.

"On 2nd January 2019 my 2 years subscription was expiring and I renewed my subscription for 3 years on the same day in the afternoon. Despite my renewal on time I kept on receiving following messages "Your subscription was expired 7 days ago, your subscription was expired 15 days ago etc." I then sent an email to your office in India notifying the above and demanded an apology and appropriate financial compensation for this misleading information. In response to my email for this error they apologized for this error and extended my subscription for 3 months. As they were unable to offer financial compensation they escalated my complaint to Kendrick an executive customer service assistant in USA. Subsequently I received an email from Kendrick with a message he was more than happy to assist me if I respond to his email.

Immediately on receipt of his email I responded his email and he replied me with his offer of extending my subscription for extra 9 months to make a total 12 months which I accepted. After I received an email from Kendrick in which he mentioned I quote "this offer was nothing but a goodwill gesture only, as they have already extended 3 months this is valid." As I did not understand this sentence I contacted your members of staff in India and asked them if they understood this sentence but they were unable to explain to me either. However, they would send an email to Kendrick and I would hear from him. As I have not heard from Kendrick. I sent an email asking him how soon my account would be updated. As of to date he did not bother to respond to my email.

I would like to point out this is a person who is employed by McAfee to support customers to their satisfaction, my question to the management is this the right person to be employed in this responsible position, whose service is denigrating, demeaning and unprofessional and he even does not know how to write proper English. I have no other word but to say I am disgusted.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I'm not one to write complaints but considering my recent experience I feel I should warn others... I ordered their one year clean-up protection for my Mac, roughly $100.00. Upon ordering and being directed to their customer service they proceeded to try and upsell me for more protection. I mentioned I did not want to put out that much money - almost $600.00 if I recall. They then proceeded to drop the price which was about half. I continued to decline but the phone rep kept talking over me and trying to sell me on their product. I repeatedly said, "No, I do not want to put out that much money," but he would not listen to me. I eventually raised my voice so as to have them hear me and I said "no means no"! With that the rep hung up on me. I am now online with my bank reversing the initial charge as this had been a horrible experience and I will never give this company my business again.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I have had LifeSafe for 4 years now. I think the trouble people are having with the auto renewal is they don't realize they turned it on. You have to watch what you are doing when you set up new software. You have to make sure that companies don't sneak things in you don't want. Yes there is one thing that McAfee did to me. I bought my computer from Dell and it came with LifeSafe pre-installed but I didn't realize that it also had another antivirus program with it. So when it renewed I was shocked to see how much cost to renew. I called them right away and yes they tried everything in their power to make keep the subscription for both. You just have to firm and know what you want. Please don't let them push you into something you don't want. All companies try to upsell - it is not just this one. This is how they make their money.

As far as the product goes I HAVE NOT had one virus in four years. I go to sites that they say are dangerous sometimes even knowing the risk. You need keep your software up to date, use settings in your browsers to help out also. Oh and set it up right in the first place for your needs. If you do not know how find someone that can help you. Even if you have to go to YouTube. But other than this I like this software over the other one they use to put on computers all the time. Which I don't think I can name. But with that one I always had problems.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Last year, I bought McAfee antivirus at £31.99 for 1 year protection but I was not aware of that my auto renewal was on and this year on 21 Dec 2018 they charged me £89.99 for another year protection as auto renewal. During that same period they are advertising the same product with 70% discount which is £26.99. I absolutely not happy with this.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Just 1 week ago I purchased the McAfee Total Protection plan for up to 10 devices so I could share the protection with my other devices and my sister. Since I paid and downloaded the product, every single day I get a pop up that my "computer is at risk" that my protection has been used up. This is a personal computer, I do not use it all day every day and even if I did, should my protection expire within a week? My father had McAfee and often asks about pop ups and I tell him that he likely clicked on something or did not update his protection when updates were available. Now I see that he was COMPLETELY correct. It is confusing for anyone to continuously get these pop ups. I highly recommend you go literally ANY OTHER COMPUTER PROTECTION SERVICE.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I would never use or recommend Mcafee. They keep popping up on my screen harassing me, a big nuisance. No consideration or respect for anyone.

They want your money & don't deliver, a lot of complaints on them. I'll be filing a complaint with the proper agencies.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I ordered the software after having looked at a few different companies. Mcafee said that their software would be compatible with my MAC and it was not. I am fairly good with technology and I feel confident in saying that it was not user error and was coming from their end. No big deal really, but it took me over 4 weeks to get a refund. I sent upwards of 5 emails regarding my refund as per the website's instructions and got nowhere. It took a lot of work on my part to get my money back for their defective product. I do not recommend their services.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

These people are thieves! They took my yearly subscription a month in advance. I called and asked for a refund. I was told that since it was still pending, that it would be back in my account in 48 hours. When it did not appear, I called again. I was told by the supervisor Chris that is would actually take 5-7 business days. I was understandably upset, the reason being is that when they took this money out of my account, they overdrafted it and I now owe my bank $200 in overdraft fees. It has not been 8 days and I still have not received my money back, meaning I cannot even deposit a paycheck or it will take some of it for the fees. This is robbery at its finest. I just got off the phone with them again and was told that there is an error with the refund and they will let me know when they can give it back. DO NOT USE THEM!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Denigrating, demeaning and unprofessional service. It took them 4 hours of pushing another product on to me which I did not ask for, I just want to get my service for what I paid for but they were not willing to assist! Shocking shocking shocking experience. I have 3 months left on my so-called protection with McAfee, pls do not buy it. The tech support in Australia is hopeless and insulting. Even the supervisor!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I tried to install McAfee Virus Protection on my old computer. It never installed correctly and slowed my performance. I removed the protection and figured it was gone. McAfee has a default auto renew on this service. I was charged double what my first year cost automatically. The email telling me this charge was going to occur conveniently ended up in my junk email. Called customer service for the company. It is not even McAfee, but a third party company. They tell me it will be $100 to stop service. I told them I will just despite charges with the credit card company for free. He begin raising his voice telling me I can't do this because McAfee is a reputable company. My thoughts after this experience is just the opposite. Stay away!

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
      2821 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara