3.6/5 (401 ratings)

About McAfee

McAfee Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: June 26, 2021

Overall it's a decent anti-virus software as long as you keep it updated which means you have to pay for it. Don't try to do all the free trials in the world with it, you'll just wind up hating it. If you're legit looking for a software that is decent priced and works well, well here I am

Original review: June 15, 2021

I have used this virus protection for years and have never had any issues. Very easy to use and understand. This virus protection even lets us know when there have been issues with passwords. I also believe that you can not beat the price. When it was up for renewal and the price was too high I called and they worked out a better deal for me and refunded me my money.

Get buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I like it because it's easy to use. Don't have to be a rocket scientist to set it up! And it also works! More than I can say to others I've used! Also I have friends that use it and they love it as well! So I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay safe on their phone, laptop or PC.

Original review: June 12, 2021

In the years I have been dealing with McAfee I have had no problems. Their system have worked for me and it seems to catch any problems before they happen. It removes unwanted cookies on a regular time basis automatically.

Original review: June 11, 2021

This is great software and have had for many, many years. The cost was always doable as well. I will admit that a few months into the pandemic I didn’t renew it because they doubled the cost of it. Oh my what a mistake. I received countless. I mean hundreds of emails asking why I was going to renew it.. so now we have many and I will not be going back to them.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Mcafee is good if you're the daily web browsing individual. Go to their site for customer support and you find a database of what is supposed to help you. I personally am a gamer. I need to know how to shut off/allow through certain aspects of games that I play in order to be successful. Mcafee offers no customer support through their website other than a database to search for errors you might receive downloading/installing their product. In other words, they want you to buy their product and have it installed, but don't care what happens after that. As a gamer, I would not recommend Mcafee as your antivirus purchase. Mcafee has no customer service whatsoever to help you with anything after installation of their product.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I was very excited to play Final Fantasy 14 online with my friend, but unfortunately did not have enough space to install the game on my SSD. He recommended i download WinDirStat so I can de-fragment my drive. TURNS OUT, McAfee was taking up SIXTY gigabytes of real estate on my PC for literally nothing. This is why I'm leaving a one star review on the product (still don't really know what the product was in the first place). I recommend not messing with McAfee.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

I have been using McAfee for 2 years. Have HP and Apple computers. The HP works fine with McAfee. The MacBookPro with McAfee is a disaster. Have had problems for a year. Just yesterday was on chat with an advisor for 1.5 hours. Most of the things he suggested were past my knowledge. In the end, my WiFI didn't work. He tried a few things and then disconnected. Finally called Apple and for $35 had them reinstate my wifi. I have 4 computers in my office and 3 worked on wifi. If you are having problems with your Apple product with McAfee I suggest you delete it and get another program that works with Apple.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

I bought a new computer and it had a free trial of McAfee virus protection. I bought a year's worth for $20 at the end of the trial. Then the fun started! It wouldn't load. Naturally, I called customer service and was told that the protection I bought was not compatible with my computer but that they could sell me a compatible protection for a mere $200.00!! I said forget it and refund my money. They refused!! They refused!! This company runs a scam, as simple as that!!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2021

I've purchased 3 new computers over the past 7 years. On the first purchase, I signed up for antivirus protection. On the 2nd purchase (4 years later), I did the same. I ASSUMED that McAfee would 'void' the initial antivirus coverage and apply only the 2nd purchase. BOTH policies were for unlimited machines. I just purchased another computer and realized that I'm getting emails from them to buy ANOTHER antivirus package (remember, I ALREADY have an unlimited # of computers on these packages). I called customer service and they confirmed that I've had an autorenewal on BOTH of the first two computers; one renewing since 2015 and the other renewing since 2018. SO, the upshot is that they've been charging me DOUBLE for the last 3+ years!!! They confirmed that on the call. I then asked for a refund, and was told that they can't do that, EVEN FOR THE CURRENT YEAR. WATCH OUT FOR THESE SNAKES!!

McAfee author review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
    2821 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara