3.02/5

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

McAfee

Looking for an Antivirus Provider?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

McAfee Reviews

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

McAfee 30 day trial was already loaded on my laptop win I purchased it. The 30 day trial has ended & I get so many Mcafee pop ups that cover 25% of my screen & makes it impossible to read the information on the screen. This company must be so hard up for customers that the only way they can make it impossible for users to see their screens. The problem does not go away if you purchase their product you receive just as many pop-ups trying to get you to upgrade. DON'T BUY THEIR PRODUCT AND AT SOME POINT THEY WILL BE OUT OF BUSINESS.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

My computer is now running like a charm, Mcafee antivirus has been deleted from my computer because I had too many issues, never again will I have this crap antivirus on any of my computers... Stay away.

Get expert buying tips about Antivirus Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Last year we reached out to McAfee to let them know that we no longer had the computer with McAfee as we had upgraded and turned the old laptop in to be recycled. McAfee refunded the auto-draft and told us that we would no longer be auto drafted. Fast forward to this year. Got the $128.69 auto draft. I immediately contacted McAfee and told the operator that we no longer had the laptop with McAfee. She argued with me that she could not refund the amount even though my request was within the 60 day refund window. I kept telling her that we did not have any devices that had McAfee. Needless to say, I had to dispute the charge on my credit card. I have no idea what is going to happen now.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Received no antivirus product download (1st year subscription/10 devices)! Contacted customer support, spent an hour & a half on the phone but to no avail. At this point, I'm out $29.99 which has already been drafted from my account, I have no antivirus production & no tech support could help. Only to be told that a supervisor would have to call me back between 2.5 - 3.5 hours. 1 star too many! I wish I would have come here to read the reviews of others comments about their product/service experience before I made the mistake of trying to purchase. Lesson learned!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

This is quite a racket they've got going. If you have auto renew, these hustlers will debit the money from your account at 11 months. Meaning, that if your subscription is due to renew on January 2, they will take the money on December 2. All for your "convenience." And they don't send a reminder email for you. Also, I have installed, uninstalled, and installed again and yet, my files still have not scanned past July. What exactly am I paying for? Make sure you check if it's actually scanning your files. And DON'T use auto renew.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about McAfee?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Ever since I did not renew my security software subscription with McAfee, I have received nonstop harassing ads in the lower right quadrant of my computer. It's at least 12 times a day, every day. I don't recommend this company unless you plan to have them for life, I'm finding that's about the only way to stop their very annoying ad campaign.

Brad

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

McAfee AV is not be compatible with Windows 10 and/or Chrome. McAfee Antivirus has a glitch that incorrectly notifies some users that their version of Chrome is out of date, and it shows the update as a "critical" need. I'm running Chrome 77.*.***, but McAfee Antivirus shows I have version 49.***. I've spoken to McAfee; they are aware of it, but they have no solution. Their only suggestion was to uninstall it, and then reinstall it. No improvement, no change. After that, they've stopped returning my emails.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

1 license was short 1 digit. I called/wrote. Meanwhile I got another and installed and downloaded. Screenshot for conformation. While using computer, it said McAfee expire. Called/wrote. Was told to reinstalled, tried it and it said it was already installed. No refund was sent.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

This company wasted me half day to deal with them and finally got my refund. Last year, the Company lured me to buy their internet protection service. I didn't choose or authorize auto renew; however, the company made auto-renew as a default setting to my account and charged me $131 for my single computer service this year. The refund process gave me a lot of hassle. The representative kept on persuading me to keep the service. After I repeated "please just refund me the money" for four times, he said, "Since you only have one device, we will give you a deal $35 for the whole year." I said "refund me" and you could send me the promotion. He said he could not send me the email. Finally, I rejected all the BS and got the refund. The guy told me the company was going to email me the promotion.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I was searching for a new antivirus program where I could use a Trial Version for a month to test them out. I got to McAfee's website and located the area for a free months version. It did not distinguish from PC or Mac and only indicated it was a trial program. I downloaded it and it was an exe file and I have a Mac, so of course it doesnt work.

I searched the site for a Mac Trial Version, but nothing, so I contacted their Support via Chat. I told this man what I wanted and he said he would email me a link, so I sent him my email address. While still in chat I check my email only to find a link to creating a new password on their site. I told him I was not interested in creating an account, I just wanted a Trial Version for Mac. He then wanted to screen share to install it and I refused. After about 20 minutes going around with him, I exited chat. Then I started getting telephone calls from McAfee, which I blocked, but has continued for 3 calls now over several hours. Years ago, I used to like McAfee and used their software back in the early 80s I think, but no more! Not sure what happened to this company, but I will never recommend them to anyone.

McAfee expert review by Shelley Elmblad

Founded in 1987, McAfee is a longstanding and trusted name in antivirus software for consumers and business because of how the company has continued to advance products to keep up with a changing industry over the years. Now a part of Intel Security Group, the brand will be eventually be renamed.

• Global threat intelligence: McAfee uses this process, which collects data from millions of sources from around the globe, to offer real-time protection against viruses and other malicious threats.

• Protection for all devices: One McAfee subscription with a 30-day money back guarantee includes antivirus protection for all PCs, Macs, iOS and Android phones and tablets and Android watches. Anti-theft features for mobile devices lock down the device and can locate it when lost or stolen.

• Parental controls: This feature offers filtering and monitoring of what children can access and see when they are online. You’ll have to upgrade to McAfee Total Protection at $89.99 to get parental controls. Two other options cost $79.99 and $59.99, and discounts may be offered for the first year.

• True Key Identity Manager: This is a secure software password vault that is used to log into mobile apps, websites and devices using a combination of facial recognition, fingerprint or devices.

• Home network scanning: McAfee can scan a home Wi-Fi network to detect unprotected devices.

• Best for: Families, businesses and people handling highly sensitive information.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

McAfee Company Information

1987
      2821 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara