MakerBot

Compare 3D Printers

Research top 3D Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The quality of the printer is second to none. The value you get with these machines is great and they work just as advertised. I have had no issues since purchasing it and it runs just like day one. They aren't the cheapest printers, but they are built to last. The money you spend on them is money well spent and for the price you pay for this printer, I wouldn't expect to run into many issues.

The printer is of good quality. It's still in great shape and works fine. The value was good and it's worked as well as I expected and continues to be reliable. However, I don't use it as much as I would like to because the material costs so much but it's fun to use and I will continue to use it.

The printer was made of an amazingly nice quality and is very reliable. It got the job it was supposed to do done fast and efficiently. It has a very nice price tag unlike most printers of its type. The price is very low for such a high-quality nonstandard product. The product is made of nice materials. Also, their customer service was very nice and friendly. They took care of needs and were quick to respond. They helped with any problem I had and they knew exactly what I needed for the printer including service and parts. I would recommend this printer to anyone who is looking for one.

Horrible product. I spent most of the time removing the filament jam. Also, removing the filament nozzle was not easy. Clips are easy to break and the whole product caused me so much frustration I decided to go out to buy the item instead. Would not recommend this product.

We have purchased, and continue to purchase, dozens of units and there has never been a delay or negative word said about the product. I enjoy using MakerBot because it intuitive, fast and easy. Some of the less productive models seem to have issues with sturdiness or blockiness, but Makerbot has always put out the product it was supposed to and has been holding up great. I would consider the value to be perfect, because without this product we wouldn't have the tools to continue our classes. The value of these products are not just about the value that you can save, but also about all of the great experiences that you can have. We have never had an issue with the product's reliability. It has worked day in and day out for all of our students every day. It gets about one hundred uses per week per machine and we have rarely had an issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MakerBot?

The support was helpful to install and use the 3D printer. They were very friendly at time to I solicit help, they said exactly that I need, and were there for me. The 3D printer was useful to make designs from my pc, and needed to be exacts in longitudes. It was so easy to use, just connect, install software and run. Don't need a lot of experience to use. The price is a little high, but the results are very fabulous. And if you need help, the support bring you help friendly. :) The reliability at the beginning could figure that the printer have a high price, but the rentability make the decision the correct decision for the life.

I love the product and really enjoy using it. I feel you can create anything that your creative mind comes up as long as you properly know how to use the printer. We have never had any issue with our 3D printer and it always perfectly makes whatever it is programmed to make. We have never had any problem with the quality of the items.

Customer support representatives were very helpful in learning how to use the 3d printer. They answered all my questions in a very detailed and thorough manner. Not once was I confused with the process. For the price I paid I got a very good value out of this printer. The materials were of high quality and the results it yielded showed. I got a lot of bang for my buck out of this. I felt I got my money's worth with this 3d printer. The quality it prints shows that. The print jobs were very professionally done. The output looked like something done by a professional company. I have yet to come across any problems or issues with the results of the print job. All my prints have come across very good. Its always high quality and I was never disappointed.

The guy who helped me install and get started was very nice and funny. He helped me get on my way to making cool things within an hour. I think it is incredibly cool that we live in a day and age where we can design and print our own plastics. Easy to use after you get the hang of it. Very well worth my while and money to purchase the MakerBot. I will continue to use for a long long time, unless it decides to break, which it won't because it's awesome. I'm very happy with my MakerBot and works every single time that I try to use it to print something big or small. It's very reliable and I love it.

They helped a lot when I was having trouble getting started, but once you know what everything is then it is really easy to use. The product quality was worth it in my opinion. Everything was there. It seems that the product will last for a reasonable time. I love it. The quality is so good. The service is nice, and they help you along the way. Nothing was broken when it came. My friend recommend it to me, and when I received it I was really happy with it. The reliability in my opinion, was really good. It's tricky at first but you can get used to it after a while. I recommend this product a lot.

The support reps were very helpful with setup and instructions when I was lost and didn't know what to do. Customer support is important with new and emerging technology like 3D printing. High quality resin as well as build quality of the device. It didn't feel flimsy or cheap like some other models do and I definitely feel as though I got my money's worth. It's absolutely worth it if you're a tinkerer or an engineer that needs to make a part fairly quickly. No more "it sorta works" parts, now you can make exactly what you need without having to compromise on quality. I didn't have any problem with my 3D printer at all. Any issues I had were mostly on the software side and that's not really a hardware problem. I've printed off dozens of things and haven't had a single problem or failure yet.

It was easy to understand how to use but whenever I didn't, it was easy to ask an associate from the store I bought it from or I could call the company I bought it from and get support over the phone. It's great. It looks like it his high quality and it works like it is high quality. There has never been an issue with it and it has always work as described. It is the best product for this price range. I've never had something this inexpensive work like it's an expensive item. It's well worth the investment and if anything happens to this one, I will go back to the same company and buy another or a newer one. It's the most reliable 3D printer I've ever seen or used. It is always working and always ready to use. It never messes up or never has anything malfunction.

Customer support was knowledge about the product and helped answer my questions to the best of their knowledge. They explained how to get set up and what things to look for if I'm having difficulties. The quality of the product could have some improvements. Often times I have stringy parts and they go to waste because of the over extrusion. This could be my own fault, but it's very frustrating. I understand the reasons for a 3D printer and why it's nice to own, but I think the value goes down because there are not too many people creating gizmos and gadgets to be shown for awards, money, patents, etc. Previously stated, I think the reliability could use some work. When you expect the same part to come out equally as good and find out they come out all looking different, that is frustrating.

Assisting with installing software was exceptional and very helpful. I was confused about the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and customer support was able to answer my questions and assist. They made sure my printer was installed successfully and working. The printer itself is solid and composed of high-quality materials. The printouts were better than I expected and amazing. Watching the printer work is memorizing – I could watch the printer work for hours. Everything I needed to get started was included in the package. The price is coming down on these printers.

The fact that you can make an upfront investment on these machines and produce your own working prototypes is an amazing savings for my company. We are no longer having to send drawing out to be fabricated – this product is saving our company money in the long run. Every time I have needed to use this product it has worked and produced high-quality products. This product has proven to be reliable and definitely does what is advertised.

Didn't need support but I'll bet they are great and when I do need to call I’m sure the response will be a seems amazing. This mediocre is absolutely amazing in itself. Who knew how useful it could actually be. I am on freaking love with my 3d printer. This thing had saved me tremendous amounts of time and money. I used to have to spend creating my prototypes. I see the currie and it is GOOD. I'm feeling people not to be out of by the upfront expenses, especially if you can write it off over a couple years. It's like when we moved from manual milling machines and lathes back in the 90's to the new and expensive CNC systems. The cost was prohibitive at first but once you pulled the trigger you saw the value immediately. I've had mine for over 2 years now and have had absolutely no issues or problems but then again, I am really anal about reading instructions and research on the internet.

I had a few problems with the printer in the first few months that I got it. I tried to call but often got voicemail and left messages but didn't hear back promptly. When the product was working correctly I was very satisfied with the output. It was able to replicate the tiniest details of the most intricate designs that my students how to create. I realize that these machines are extremely complicated and technical to construct but it is hard for many companies are programs that wish to buy one to fit it into a budget without another funding source. Most of the time the printer operated without fail however there were a few times when I have issues with that. That would occur for a few times before resolving themselves and resolving it in someway and then it would work fine again for a while.

I didn't really need it much beside getting software set up for it, and that experience was very quick with sign up. The software was simple and nice, and worked well with the printer. The overall quality was great. The machine plastic sometimes would leave a few dead areas but overall outputs were nicely made. I would recommend this to others for use. The overall value was great. I mean yes it was an expensive item to get and the plastic for printing is a bit costly as well, but the things you can make using the printer are just absolutely astonishing. As said before, sometimes it can produce multiple deads which is aggravating and a bit odd but once you're used to it, you start to see it's really worth the extra trouble.

I didn't require any online support as all worked exactly as one would expect. I received face to face with instructions @ Mars innovation centre's We Are Wearables event in Toronto. Works fine, but could use extra features like soft multicolour printing & multiple job ability through Device that clears model so next one can be printed too. Value is great for the price. Machine works. Software works. Not a big foot pattern. Cool way to print smartphone accessories & modelling of animated characters. Make your own transformers. It's reliable for multiple jobs. You can recycle plastic to make free filament. You can get a camera as an accessory to monitor jobs remotely & have clients book jobs they can watch online.

It was so lit! I got so much out of it! You wouldn't even! I will do whatever with this thing! I would recommend it to all my friends. The product still works very well. I've been using it for so long. It will probably never ever break. If it does then I'll buy a new one, maybe even 2. Value is awesome! it was a great price! I feel like I was so lucky to have this! How could anyone else feel this awesome? I feel so good! You have no idea how awesome it is to have this! This product is super reliable! I use to everyday and it still functions as well as when I got it. I hope I can use it for my whole entire life. Maybe my kids will use it too.

I have not had very many issues at all but when I have need of customer support they have been great! Fast friendly and able to resolve the issue within minutes. Prints out perfectly every single time! I am so glad that I finally broke down and bought one. The quality of this printer is so much better than my last one! I'm truly in love. I will admit that the price seems sort of expensive. We paid around $1300 for our 3d printer but believe me it is definitely worth every penny. The quality is amazing and there is so much more that we can do with this printer than we could with our old one. We have not had any issues with our printer other than understanding what all we can do with this new one. We aren't very illiterate with all the new technology so when we have had any questions with it have called customer service and they have been here for us 100% of the time.

The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. They exceeded all my expectations. My item was printed correctly and was awesome. I have been highly satisfied. My product is what I has wanted. Everything looks as it should look. The quality is good. I feel it was a good product. Fit the money spent on it.I enjoy it very much. I feel it is a fair value. It was about what I expected to pay for my item. The item seems to be worth the money. I am glad I was able to afford to 3d print my items. My item does not feel cheaply made. It does not feel like it will break anytime soon. It feels durable and stronger than I expected it to be.

The customer support I experienced from this company was above standard. Extremely attentive and I would recommend their services to interested parties. The product quality was above average for a product of this type. There was no mess and waste was kept to a minimum. I recommend this company to anyone interested in 3D printing. I believe the value that I received in relation to the price was average. Everything could have a lower price. I am not interested in paying a premium for quality. Although I will pay what I have to. So far so good. I have not used it excessively as I learn the product's capabilities. I hope to put it through its paces in the future and give it a run for the money.

The customer support representatives were very nice. They tried to help correct the errors with the machine I received, they just could not but it wasnt their fault. They tried. The product quality was not good especially for the price. It did not work right and was seemingly unable to be fixed. From the minute I got it the product did not work right. I wouldn't recommend it. The value was way too high especially for something that did not work. You can get a quality 3d printer for less money and it probably will work right or at least be fixable. Not good value at all. It was not reliable at all, not from the beginning. It had too many problems, they either didn't perfect this model or they just didn't build a quality product. Either way, very disappointing.

I never needed much customer support but they made sure I had installed it correctly. It turned out to work out okay. Haven't needed help since. The product quality was very good. It printed well, with no issues. It was fine. This printer was pretty expensive. I wish I could have found another printer at the time that was about $150 cheaper but I am satisfied with the one I purchased. The reliability is very good. I have not had any issues with it not working or anything like that. I would recommend the printer just based on this.

The 3d printed product came out exactly what I wanted it to look like. There is nothing more I could ask of. I got it for around 1k dollars and it seemed like a pretty good deal. I used AutoCAD software with it and it received the information smoothly without any delays.

I was extremely amazed at how the 3D printer performed. I felt like a child building with toy blocks for the very first time. I really enjoyed MakerBot! I was very happy and amazed on the operation of the 3D printer. I felt overwhelmed like a child amazed by his first video game console. Was a little expensive although worth its price. The price paid was definitely worth the product's performance. To be honest I thought it would perform a lot better. The product was very reliable it was also efficient as well as effective in its performance and total output compared to either printers out there made by other manufacturers. Happy and astounded by the performance.

Easy to purchase without any difficulty. Had no trouble contacting them. Would highly recommend this product. No problems with product itself. Very professional. Works slowly but precisely. Can customize using online schematics. The product works well and I've had it for half a year now without complications. 3D printers are quite expensive even now. Therefore quality and precision separates the products. The product cost is reasonable for its great quality. The product is highly reliable and works consistently. Product doesn't get stuck and works as intended. It has not broken yet.

Customer support was trying to be helpful but it's quite difficult to try and fix the problem for something so complex and hard to understand. An amazing product that does amazing things. If you get your hands on one, it's possibly the best and coolest thing you'll ever purchase. It was pricey but that's to be expected. But great quality for the price. It's wonderful and entertaining and efficient. Great product with few problems but when they arise, they are hard to deal with, so be prepared to have a PhD in 3D printers to make it through.

The technical support personnel walked me through the printing process step by step. They listened to my operation questions and were able to answer them quickly and in a manner in which I could understand. I think the lines could be a little less bit processed but that will come with time. The fact that you can print a 3D object is awesome and very helpful in this day in age. The overall value is totally worth it. Being able to print a tool at home without having to go to the store is extremely useful not to mention saves time and money in the long run. I had no problems with the reliability of the 3D printer. It powered up in a reasonable amount of time and began working exactly when I expected it. The time it took to print was also outstanding.

I had an issue using it, so I called support, and they were very professional and knew exactly how to get it up an running. They took their time to understand and explain. It is a very good printer. I still use it for all my 3D printing needs. I don't think I would switch to a different brand because I am now comfortable with this one. Great price for a great machine. I would recommend anyone into buying this brand. My friend had a different one. Not sure of the brand but the quality of printing was much poor. I am 100 percent completely satisfied with my purchase and it is not made cheaply. One of the best investments I have made to be honest.

Expert Review

John Biehler3D Printing Contributing Editor

John Biehler has been actively sharing his knowledge about 3D Printing technology with people around the world for the past seven years. He cofounded 3D604.org, a group of over 400 3D printing enthusiasts and his first book, "3D Printing with Autodesk" was published in 2014 by Pearson. He’s currently working with Douglas Coupland on the 3DCanada project, a multiyear, country-wide 3D scanning and printing art project.    More about John→

Started 2009 and based in Brooklyn, NY, MakerBot was one of the first commercial companies making affordable desktop 3D printers in a variety of price points for users of all levels.

• Makerbot apps: The company offers users apps to easily find designs to print and access while they are on-the-go, on a smartphone or a tablet. Makerbot operates Thingiverse.com – one of the best-known repositories of free, downloadable 3D models that are community sourced.
  • Learning resources: MakerBot offers users hands-on courses about how to use their printer and its software to ensure each customer gets the most fulfilling experience possible.
  • MakerBot innovation Center: MakerBot has centralized, innovation-based 3D printing centers, where many people or groups of people can access the technology and resources of the company to make the process as education and informative as possible.
  • Free software upgrades: The company offers users regular free software upgrades, so they do not have to pay to improve the software they are using.
  • Best for Hobbyists, biotechnology and medical academics, artists and architects.

Compare 3D Printers