Compare 3D Printers

Research top 3D Printers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Customer support was knowledge about the product and helped answer my questions to the best of their knowledge. They explained how to get set up and what things to look for if I'm having difficulties. The quality of the product could have some improvements. Often times I have stringy parts and they go to waste because of the over extrusion. This could be my own fault, but it's very frustrating. I understand the reasons for a 3D printer and why it's nice to own, but I think the value goes down because there are not too many people creating gizmos and gadgets to be shown for awards, money, patents, etc. Previously stated, I think the reliability could use some work. When you expect the same part to come out equally as good and find out they come out all looking different, that is frustrating.

Assisting with installing software was exceptional and very helpful. I was confused about the 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and customer support was able to answer my questions and assist. They made sure my printer was installed successfully and working. The printer itself is solid and composed of high-quality materials. The printouts were better than I expected and amazing. Watching the printer work is memorizing – I could watch the printer work for hours. Everything I needed to get started was included in the package. The price is coming down on these printers.

The fact that you can make an upfront investment on these machines and produce your own working prototypes is an amazing savings for my company. We are no longer having to send drawing out to be fabricated – this product is saving our company money in the long run. Every time I have needed to use this product it has worked and produced high-quality products. This product has proven to be reliable and definitely does what is advertised.

Didn't need support but I'll bet they are great and when I do need to call I’m sure the response will be a seems amazing. This mediocre is absolutely amazing in itself. Who knew how useful it could actually be. I am on freaking love with my 3d printer. This thing had saved me tremendous amounts of time and money. I used to have to spend creating my prototypes. I see the currie and it is GOOD. I'm feeling people not to be out of by the upfront expenses, especially if you can write it off over a couple years. It's like when we moved from manual milling machines and lathes back in the 90's to the new and expensive CNC systems. The cost was prohibitive at first but once you pulled the trigger you saw the value immediately. I've had mine for over 2 years now and have had absolutely no issues or problems but then again, I am really anal about reading instructions and research on the internet.

I had a few problems with the printer in the first few months that I got it. I tried to call but often got voicemail and left messages but didn't hear back promptly. When the product was working correctly I was very satisfied with the output. It was able to replicate the tiniest details of the most intricate designs that my students how to create. I realize that these machines are extremely complicated and technical to construct but it is hard for many companies are programs that wish to buy one to fit it into a budget without another funding source. Most of the time the printer operated without fail however there were a few times when I have issues with that. That would occur for a few times before resolving themselves and resolving it in someway and then it would work fine again for a while.

I didn't really need it much beside getting software set up for it, and that experience was very quick with sign up. The software was simple and nice, and worked well with the printer. The overall quality was great. The machine plastic sometimes would leave a few dead areas but overall outputs were nicely made. I would recommend this to others for use. The overall value was great. I mean yes it was an expensive item to get and the plastic for printing is a bit costly as well, but the things you can make using the printer are just absolutely astonishing. As said before, sometimes it can produce multiple deads which is aggravating and a bit odd but once you're used to it, you start to see it's really worth the extra trouble.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MakerBot?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I didn't require any online support as all worked exactly as one would expect. I received face to face with instructions @ Mars innovation centre's We Are Wearables event in Toronto. Works fine, but could use extra features like soft multicolour printing & multiple job ability through Device that clears model so next one can be printed too. Value is great for the price. Machine works. Software works. Not a big foot pattern. Cool way to print smartphone accessories & modelling of animated characters. Make your own transformers. It's reliable for multiple jobs. You can recycle plastic to make free filament. You can get a camera as an accessory to monitor jobs remotely & have clients book jobs they can watch online.

It was so lit! I got so much out of it! You wouldn't even! I will do whatever with this thing! I would recommend it to all my friends. The product still works very well. I've been using it for so long. It will probably never ever break. If it does then I'll buy a new one, maybe even 2. Value is awesome! it was a great price! I feel like I was so lucky to have this! How could anyone else feel this awesome? I feel so good! You have no idea how awesome it is to have this! This product is super reliable! I use to everyday and it still functions as well as when I got it. I hope I can use it for my whole entire life. Maybe my kids will use it too.

I have not had very many issues at all but when I have need of customer support they have been great! Fast friendly and able to resolve the issue within minutes. Prints out perfectly every single time! I am so glad that I finally broke down and bought one. The quality of this printer is so much better than my last one! I'm truly in love. I will admit that the price seems sort of expensive. We paid around $1300 for our 3d printer but believe me it is definitely worth every penny. The quality is amazing and there is so much more that we can do with this printer than we could with our old one. We have not had any issues with our printer other than understanding what all we can do with this new one. We aren't very illiterate with all the new technology so when we have had any questions with it have called customer service and they have been here for us 100% of the time.

The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. They exceeded all my expectations. My item was printed correctly and was awesome. I have been highly satisfied. My product is what I has wanted. Everything looks as it should look. The quality is good. I feel it was a good product. Fit the money spent on it.I enjoy it very much. I feel it is a fair value. It was about what I expected to pay for my item. The item seems to be worth the money. I am glad I was able to afford to 3d print my items. My item does not feel cheaply made. It does not feel like it will break anytime soon. It feels durable and stronger than I expected it to be.

The customer support I experienced from this company was above standard. Extremely attentive and I would recommend their services to interested parties. The product quality was above average for a product of this type. There was no mess and waste was kept to a minimum. I recommend this company to anyone interested in 3D printing. I believe the value that I received in relation to the price was average. Everything could have a lower price. I am not interested in paying a premium for quality. Although I will pay what I have to. So far so good. I have not used it excessively as I learn the product's capabilities. I hope to put it through its paces in the future and give it a run for the money.

The customer support representatives were very nice. They tried to help correct the errors with the machine I received, they just could not but it wasnt their fault. They tried. The product quality was not good especially for the price. It did not work right and was seemingly unable to be fixed. From the minute I got it the product did not work right. I wouldn't recommend it. The value was way too high especially for something that did not work. You can get a quality 3d printer for less money and it probably will work right or at least be fixable. Not good value at all. It was not reliable at all, not from the beginning. It had too many problems, they either didn't perfect this model or they just didn't build a quality product. Either way, very disappointing.

I never needed much customer support but they made sure I had installed it correctly. It turned out to work out okay. Haven't needed help since. The product quality was very good. It printed well, with no issues. It was fine. This printer was pretty expensive. I wish I could have found another printer at the time that was about $150 cheaper but I am satisfied with the one I purchased. The reliability is very good. I have not had any issues with it not working or anything like that. I would recommend the printer just based on this.

The 3d printed product came out exactly what I wanted it to look like. There is nothing more I could ask of. I got it for around 1k dollars and it seemed like a pretty good deal. I used AutoCAD software with it and it received the information smoothly without any delays.

I was extremely amazed at how the 3D printer performed. I felt like a child building with toy blocks for the very first time. I really enjoyed MakerBot! I was very happy and amazed on the operation of the 3D printer. I felt overwhelmed like a child amazed by his first video game console. Was a little expensive although worth its price. The price paid was definitely worth the product's performance. To be honest I thought it would perform a lot better. The product was very reliable it was also efficient as well as effective in its performance and total output compared to either printers out there made by other manufacturers. Happy and astounded by the performance.

Easy to purchase without any difficulty. Had no trouble contacting them. Would highly recommend this product. No problems with product itself. Very professional. Works slowly but precisely. Can customize using online schematics. The product works well and I've had it for half a year now without complications. 3D printers are quite expensive even now. Therefore quality and precision separates the products. The product cost is reasonable for its great quality. The product is highly reliable and works consistently. Product doesn't get stuck and works as intended. It has not broken yet.

Customer support was trying to be helpful but it's quite difficult to try and fix the problem for something so complex and hard to understand. An amazing product that does amazing things. If you get your hands on one, it's possibly the best and coolest thing you'll ever purchase. It was pricey but that's to be expected. But great quality for the price. It's wonderful and entertaining and efficient. Great product with few problems but when they arise, they are hard to deal with, so be prepared to have a PhD in 3D printers to make it through.

The technical support personnel walked me through the printing process step by step. They listened to my operation questions and were able to answer them quickly and in a manner in which I could understand. I think the lines could be a little less bit processed but that will come with time. The fact that you can print a 3D object is awesome and very helpful in this day in age. The overall value is totally worth it. Being able to print a tool at home without having to go to the store is extremely useful not to mention saves time and money in the long run. I had no problems with the reliability of the 3D printer. It powered up in a reasonable amount of time and began working exactly when I expected it. The time it took to print was also outstanding.

I had an issue using it, so I called support, and they were very professional and knew exactly how to get it up an running. They took their time to understand and explain. It is a very good printer. I still use it for all my 3D printing needs. I don't think I would switch to a different brand because I am now comfortable with this one. Great price for a great machine. I would recommend anyone into buying this brand. My friend had a different one. Not sure of the brand but the quality of printing was much poor. I am 100 percent completely satisfied with my purchase and it is not made cheaply. One of the best investments I have made to be honest.

I didn't need to use customer support. Everything was easy enough and I had no problems with the printer. The end result looked great. The finished product was beyond expectations. It had much more detail than I had hoped for. I would give it an A. The only thing against it was the time it took. I did not know the cost of the printer. It was someone else's and had the opportunity to use it. If it was something I would need to use often I would not hesitate to buy one. From talking to the owner, he has had no problems with the printer and uses it regularly. He has only had to do routine maintenance. I would say it has been very reliable.

Worked well. Looked cool when it came out. I enjoy using it and hope to buy one for my house. If you use one make sure not to mess up 'cause it would look weird if you jacked it up. I think they should have more available then they do now. A lot of people use them. Very well put together. Neat and organized. Not crappy like most printers. Used for good purposes. Very well thought of piece of equipment. I'd say worth quite a lot. For what it does and how many people use it. And for what purpose people use it and what it does with the 3D option. Now available. It would make that equipment worth some money. Very reliable. Works well. Fast for being a printer. When needed go to places on a hurry you can use this and be out of there in less than 20 minutes with the 3D option.

AMAZING! The customer support line for MakerBot is nothing like I expected. Usually when dealing with customer support, the employee you're talking to gets frustrated after only 5, maybe 10, minutes. If you're having a problem with your 3D printer, DO NOT hesitate to call their customer support. I'm glad I did. Although it may come off as too complex at first, this product is great. It takes some time getting used to but it's worth it. Compared to the other models I've seen, this one is by far the best. Oh Lord. This machine is so expensive and I completely see why. It's worth paying almost 3k for, especially if you're an artist. In the end it's all worth it. Eh. You may run into a few problems during the first couple of runs but that's normal of course. Don't just give up on it after 3 misprints, you may regret it later on.

The product of it's what I needed and efficiently as it finished in the time I expected. I would definitely recommend this product to other people and my friends. The 3D object made was beautiful and was beyond what I expected from this machine. It was a bit pricey but overall the value of this product was good and I would recommend that everybody buys this product because of the quality versus the price. The product was reliable and let me get whatever I need done in amount of time that was convenient.

They helped me when I needed help and I did not have to wait a long time for someone to talk to me. I called in and dialed up what I needed and they were all so nice. They asked how was my day and what I needed help with. The wait overall was not bad and not long at all. It was easy to print with only it did take time. I would recommend it to my friends and others. I just had to set it up and connect the flash drive that had what I had to print to the machine and then it started to work without hassle, which is what I like.

It was a bit pricey, but it was worth it for the experience and the thing that I made, which was a key chain. Did last and I still have it till this day. I love being able to be creative with this machine. It is totally reliable and I am happy with it. I just set up. When you put the project you want to print you can leave it there and you do not have to check on it if you do not want to, which is amazing, but it might be time-consuming to print large objects.

The website was very easy to use. I was able to find the program that I was looking for with minimal effort then imported my design for printing with ease. One of the plastic dispensers gets clogged easily. Also any prints designed in autocad stopped due to a software issue. Tinkercad works well, though. It was useful in building a base for a robot in my robotics engineering class. The design printed exactly to my specifications, despite it being my first time 3D printing anything. Designs made in autocad will stop mid-print, base temperature needs to be higher than the default to prevent the plastic from curling.

They have a 24/7 365 toll free number in case you have to call them any time they can help you with issues. They are well-trained with any issue. The quality of printing is very awesome versus a regular printer. This looks very professional. It's so good I can't be any happier with anything else. I'm very satisfied. Nothing can be any better. The price is average not more expensive. It takes a bit longer for them to get the stuff done but it's awesome the quality of what I get back and they're close to where I live.

Customer support was okay. They are somewhat hard to understand and some of the reps are not friendly when you do call. I think they should have more friendly staff. The product is not worth the money. I would not recommend the purchase for the money. I would seek other options that were more cost efficient. The value on some are okay. The 3D that I purchased was way overpriced. I would recommend purchasing a lower quality one that would work just as well. Overall it is a good printer that I can rely on but as I stated earlier I would not invest that much money on a 3D printer.

The first time I used a 3D printer I sat in my chair contemplating what to make and something that would be useful. So after an hour or so my friend Bruce and I decided to make a very simplistic action figure so it was 3" tall about an 1" wide with pivot holes for the arms and legs. After the printer was done with the body, legs, and arms we drilled tiny holes in place for the legs and arms. Our teacher decided to keep the figure because it was the best imaginative piece he'd seen the whole year.

It was a good printer, but it has needed a bit of maintenance over time.. Not super reliable. We got a newer model and it performed much better and more quickly. I think that as they continue to commercial them on a bigger scale they will perform better.

I have nothing but good things to say about the printer. Its by far the best thing I have purchased this year. It was well worth the money that I spend on the printer. My only issue is that the ink does last that long and it's very hard to find where to buy it. But other than that it's great product.

Making jewelry and it did fine but slow. I did not use it for anything too large so I don't know how that would work out. It was a great value for the price.

Expert Review

John Biehler3D Printing Contributing Editor

John Biehler has been actively sharing his knowledge about 3D Printing technology with people around the world for the past seven years. He cofounded, a group of over 400 3D printing enthusiasts and his first book, "3D Printing with Autodesk" was published in 2014 by Pearson. He’s currently working with Douglas Coupland on the 3DCanada project, a multiyear, country-wide 3D scanning and printing art project.    More about John→

Started 2009 and based in Brooklyn, NY, MakerBot was one of the first commercial companies making affordable desktop 3D printers in a variety of price points for users of all levels.

• Makerbot apps: The company offers users apps to easily find designs to print and access while they are on-the-go, on a smartphone or a tablet. Makerbot operates – one of the best-known repositories of free, downloadable 3D models that are community sourced.
  • Learning resources: MakerBot offers users hands-on courses about how to use their printer and its software to ensure each customer gets the most fulfilling experience possible.
  • MakerBot innovation Center: MakerBot has centralized, innovation-based 3D printing centers, where many people or groups of people can access the technology and resources of the company to make the process as education and informative as possible.
  • Free software upgrades: The company offers users regular free software upgrades, so they do not have to pay to improve the software they are using.
  • Best for Hobbyists, biotechnology and medical academics, artists and architects.

Compare 3D Printers