1.24/5
Based on 117 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

166 Linksys Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I have just spent 3 hours attempting to have our modem returned or fixed but to no avail. After 2 hours of them telling us it was user error, my husband who is tech savvy explained that it is 100% the modem causing the problem. After being transferred 5 times, they said that the warranty we received after purchasing applies to other products but not to our product. I have NEVER written a negative review on a company but I have also never experienced such poor customer service.

Resolution response: Oct. 18, 2018

I spoke with someone who was very helpful, who got me to the right person/department. My issue is now resolved. The Representative was very knowledgeable and courteous. He patiently walked me through the steps to fixing my security issue, and he even educated me on the steps to take to resolve the problem, (if it were to happen again). I am a very satisfied customer.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

All of a sudden, there was no more password on my Linksys router, and my internet access was compromised. I called Linksys customer care for assistance with adding a password back to my router/internet access, but I was told that they would only help me if I paid a fee. I REFUSED. I asked to speak with a Supervisor, who also refused to assist me with resolving the issue. I called back and chose the Technical Support option. The representative said that he would help me, but he needed access to my computer.

I gave him access and he went through some systems on my computer, but said that he couldn't do anything. BUT, before he ended the call he asked me if I had an Amazon account, (I said no), but he brought up Amazon then made some keystrokes, then abruptly ended the call. After that incident, my computer has been running extra slow and some functions on my computer don't work. I won't use any passwords or personal information on my computer, because I don't know who's "watching". LINKSYS SHOULD BE INVESTIGATED/AUDITED.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Website was broken (continuous loop during between step one and two in checkout). Forced to place order over the phone with offshore agent. The system does not auto-fill city and state for the CSR by using Zip code - a basic feature of CSR systems since the 90's. So they misspell the City name and I see it on the email confirmation. I call back and spend 20 minutes with the order entry department to finally be told that the order taking department cannot amend the order - must go through Customer Service. Customer service is only M-F so wait a day. 40 minutes on phone being passed twice because Customer Service can only update the Shipping address. Need to pass to another rep to get Billing city mis-spelling corrected. No way to cancel the order because an online account was not automatically created. You would think verification could be done using the same info as on the order but no such luck.

Have to sit on hold for 20 more minutes waiting. The second CS rep is also not allowed to update the billing address so they added no resolution but gave a different phone to contact Billing dept and they may be able to update an existing order. No one in CS can cancel the order for me. 20 more minutes and two return phone calls for them to tell me a US based office needed to cancel the order and that office was closed on a holiday. For a technology company Belkins Linksys division is running like a rookie ecommerce company in the 1990's! Horrible Customer Handling strategy and worse IT systems. Shame on you Linksys - get with the program.

Original review: July 21, 2018

My internet provider switched modems due to an upgraded service and I couldn’t connect to my router which is a AC1600. This has been a very good and very fast router. My internet provider troublshot and told me my issue was with the router and I need to call Linksys. I called their support and little did I know, if your product is over 1 year old, you will be charged to telephone tech support. This has nothing to do with the product warranty. I knew my warranty had expired but Never dreamed the support line would do nothing until you bought a 14 day plan for 29.99 or a 39.99 plan.

I went with Linksys products a long time ago because they were good. But if I have to buy a service plan for each product after a 1 year period just for someone on the phone to look at it, I’m done. Goodbye Linksys products, your 1600 just got replaced with your competition. So be warned public, if your Linksys router is over 1 year old and your modem is replaced, you will likely need support to reconfigure and Linksys will charge you.

Original review: July 15, 2018

Linksys tech support was not good. He could never figure out my password. Then at the end he tries to sell me protective software. Telling the router has no protection. Wanted $149. I told him no. Told him I don't have the money. Then he tells me he will waive $50. Kept asking me if I had a credit card. He insisted I give him a card number. I insisted I had no money to spend. He then says to ask someone else in the household and if they won't give it to me for me to tell them I won't let them use my internet. This debate went on for 5 minutes. Then when I emailed Linksys about the problem they emailed back a day later and said, "It must have been a 3rd party, sorry." That was it, not wondering or caring if my problem was solved. And it wasn't. I have no password. Default won't work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Linksys?

Original review: July 1, 2018

When we called for help, we were told they could help us for a fee. We have had our router for 2 years, then it stopped working. We first called Xfinity and it was determined the line into our home was fine, it was a router issue. Then I was directed to call Linksys. I was told 15 minutes into the call, they could "help us to reset the router...but for a fee of 40$. Never did the lady tell me I could reset it myself for free. I swear they set these things up to fail just as the warranty has ended. I was able to reset the device on my own... FREE. Terrible that they try to scam people for more money to help with a product we have already purchased. I won't be buying another item from this company ever. If anyone from the company is paying attention...Is it worth it to lose my business forever over $40? Terrible business practices.

Original review: June 18, 2018

Had an issue with my EA6400 wireless router. I had tried all the normal things like resetting, rebooting, and reinstalling the firmware. When I would try and log into a website the password and username would not verify. Found if I would hard wire to the modem I didn't have any issues. It worked fine but going through the router it wouldn't verify either via wifi or hard wired. I went on chat with Linksys support and explained the issue and they just kept talking about logging onto the router and that wasn't even the issue. I explained I wasn't having an issue logging on the router. It was logging on to other website. Once again they came back with things related to logging into the router again. It was obvious they either can't read English or don't understand English. I finally just got tired of explaining the issue so told them to just forget it. I think they do that just so they can get you to give up.

Resolution response: May 12, 2018

Marking this as resolved as I fixed my issue without tech support.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I bought a couple Linksys routers last year as I have used many in the past for years without issue. On this occasion one router had dead wifi radios out of the box, this should have been my first indication. I returned the out of the box bad unit for another locally where they were purchased. Fast forward to about a year later; not sure if it was an auto firmware update or simply hardware failure, but another router started needing constant reboots. Never bothered with support as I knew the hardware was out of warranty and they would be little help. What prompted this review; as I stated before, I have multiple routers of the same model.

Since one router went bad and was the only router attached to the Smart WiFi cloud account I swapped it with another, this is where things get bad. The inoperable router is now gone, but I cannot set up the Smart WiFi account on the new router because it’s still attached to the old device. This should be a simple fix, but it’s not. You can remove devices from the local account, but you cannot add them to the cloud account. I cannot log into the cloud account because the old device is offline and was not removed before sending to the recycler. ALL of the first level technicians are lost as to what any of this is. Level 2 techs know what I am talking about but keep wanting to troubleshoot the router like it’s having a hardware issue.

I finally asked point blank if they can simply delete the cloud account so I can start over. Level 2's keep saying they must escalate the case to get the cloud account deleted so it can be recreated on the new device, this is going on three weeks with multiple calls & emails. I get that Linksys sells multiple devices, but all have the same basic UI. It’s amazing that most of the support agents are not even aware of what the device UI's look like. In the end I simply replaced all my Linksys devices with brands from other manufacturers. Between poor hardware longevity and non-existent support I see no reason to continue beating my head against the wall. Not sure what happened to Linksys, years ago they were the industry standard for home & SOHO devices.

Original review: April 16, 2018

Linksys AC1750 router setup: The router works but I can not access router settings. I followed the poor startup guide several times and even chatted with tech support. Disconnected everything and started over twice. You can only get so far and the app asks you the dumbest question, "What is the password you used to set up your router?" If you can't set it up how can you have a password? Why make it so difficult. It's my router now but I can't access control. The doofus that advised me suggested I use a computer and not my phone. If you disconnect your router you can't use a computer. It's idiotic.

Original review: March 28, 2018

Less than a year past the warranty expiration and our WiFi router suddenly stops working in the middle of the night. Called customer service and was told my warranty expired and to get any assistance I had to pay first. I was refused any help at all unless I paid for it first. I was only asked about my "personal contact information" and my router model and serial numbers. I was never asked about the issue I was having with my router or what it was or was not doing. Just basic information, then was told I had to pay money before getting any kind of help.

Original review: March 18, 2018

Just had an interesting, unpleasant experience using the Linksys Support Chat feature. I'm in the market for a new router, so completed the preliminary information requested and then asked one question about the functionality of a new, Linksys EA9300 router. This was all done via some robotic function. I was then told I would be transferred to a secure site where I could arrange to pay $5 for someone to answer my question. It seems strange to me that I'm trying to buy a router from them, but need to pay for information any proficient salesman would be able to answer. I've had many Linksys routers in the past, but have always found them hard to talk to when looking for help/guidance. Pay first, then we'll see. So now, I'll look at reviews about customer service at Cisco, Asus or elsewhere before buying.

Resolution response: March 17, 2018

I wrote a review complaining about the Linksys Technical Support Service for a new product I purchased. The review was not good, but in all fairness, I need to also write what went well as of 2/15/2018. It didn't start out well when I was promised a callback at 8 am, and they never called, I ended up having to call them back. I won't go into it as for the reasons they gave me, but I was not happy. So, they said they would call back at 5 PM, which I wasn't comfortable with that since they didn't call back as promised the first time, but guess what, someone called me back right at 5 PM, and that's when things got 100% better. The person on the phone with me was professional, understanding, and recognized that what had been done may have caused some degradation of internet service because of the previous techs not knowing what to do.

Though I was on the phone for a little over 3 hours, but the person took their time, they listened, and they didn't offer or suggest a Pollyanna solution, or kept repeating "I understand" while our connections to the outside world for our business was down. The clarity this person had was fantastic, they ensured we didn't move on until they were absolutely sure when they finally solved the problem with the Velop system, that it would be working after they hung up. The person said they would call me back in a few days to ensure the problems were not corrected. What I like about this person, they listened, they were clear about what they wanted me to do, and had compassion for a frustrated customer.

It was just too bad that we had to go through 5 technicians to get it solved, and to find out, "all technicians don't have the same skills to solve your problem." I would recommend that Linksys have a 30-minute maximum, where after 30-minutes if the tech person can't solve it, then escalate it to the next level. Another thing, this person never put me on hold under the pretense that they were still listening; the previous 4 tech people, constantly put you on hold without telling you, and you often found yourself talking to just you, then someone would come back on the phone and repeat, "I understand." Again, it's only fair to report the Good Things as well as when things don't go so well. Thank you Linksys, for a job well done and for person who ended up working with me.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I purchased a complete networking system from Linksys; EA9500 Router, Velop Mesh system, WiFi extenders; all from Linksys. Initially when I called in to have them assist with the setup, they were fine, but things went bad from there. Called several times, they made promises to call back and they did not. I had my business shut down for 1/2 of a day and they still couldn't get "their products" working. Several case numbers were created, the last, "**" and again, with the promise to call back on 3/15/18, they did not, I had to call them. After speaking to 4 Linksys technicians and my case being elevated to the 2nd tier, I am still with no network; a network that has worked beautifully for the last year. So here is what I purchased, their most powerful router at the time, the EA 9500. The new Velop Mesh system to maximize my WiFi coverage.

The Velop system is supposed to give me 6,000 sq.ft. of coverage; I have only 2,000 sq. ft, so I have more system than I need, but to grow if I move. My residents is a single story home, so by their own admission, I should be fine. I have the fastest available internet service I can purchase from Cox Cable, 300 MBPS +, and I have until Linksys touched the system been getting 340 MBPS; right now, I get 7.6 MBPS. They have reconfigured the router, we have reset the modem with Cox, they have had me move the Velop nodes to different locations, all to no avail. The service people continue to use this language when you tell them that your business is being impacted; "I understand..." Finally I had to tell each person, "Stop telling me you understand because you don't or you would call me back when you say you're going to call, and you would fix whatever you have done to work."

The frustration is high right now for me. I would not recommend anyone to purchase a Linksys product unless you know what you're doing; depending on what their customer service is like, you most likely would deliberately committing yourself to hours of stress with them on the phone. My options are few, so I'm writing here through the Consumer Affairs site with the hope they can help, or that Linksys will escalate my issue beyond the 2nd levels.

One more thing I would add, be aware, the service people will often put you on hold, you will often feel as if you're talking to yourself, then they come back online and ask you to repeat yourself; extraordinary frustration and just rude. This didn't happen with just once, all 4 service people practice that; you just get put on hold and may be talking to yourself only to realize they aren't listening. DO NOT PURCHASE THEIR PRODUCTS IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO DO MOST OF THE INSTALL YOURSELF; if it's simple, they can help, but beyond simple, you too may be writing to complain.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have recently had some struggles concerning the router that I had bought. For someone who is not qualified when it comes to technological devices, I was definitely seeking help in order to learn what the problem really was and also some basic technical words that were necessary for my self-improvement. A caring and patient advisor named Monchy ** has helped me a lot during this process. I can sincerely say that I have managed to overcome all of my problems concerning the router, with the help of Monchy. All of my problems were answered and taken care of by her, thus I'm really content with the results I got.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I couldn't remember the password for my range extender RE-6300, so I followed the instructions on the website. It said, "Press the reset button if you want to reset the password." I followed instructions and it didn't work. I called support, and from the moment he (don't remember his name) answered, he talked over me, he asked why I didn't know certain information, he continued to put me down. When I asked to speak with a supervisor, he continued to delay the transfer. He asked if I was in a hurry, I said, "No, but let's just get to it." Also, he said my hardware warranty was expired. I purchased the device in April of 2017 at a Fred Meyer Store. It was new to me in April 2017. He tried to get me to pay for an extended warranty. I was piffled that I had to pay for an extended warranty on hardware, when all I wanted to do was reset my password.

He continued talking over me, in the 47 minutes I was on the phone with him, he used my name at least 50+ times (at the beginning of every sentence, at the end of every sentence, and several times mid sentence). His statement that pushed me over the top was, "when you have a network router, you need to know how to configure it and maintain it. How can you not know?" I told him at that point that he was being rude and disrespectful, that not everyone is a computer expert! I immediately asked for a supervisor, no less than 13 times. I told him I was through speaking with him and I wanted a supervisor. It took at least 3 minutes from the time I asked, until he finally agreed, then put me on hold.

After a few minutes, he came back on the line and was still trying to get a supervisor. Back on hold. After 11 or more minutes I finally hung up. I will go out of my way to not ever purchase a Linksys product again. This guy was the most disrespectful tech I have ever spoken with. If it were not for people having issues with their computers and peripherals, he wouldn't have a job.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

I am pissed off. Three times I called. Every time I am being asked to upgrade and the lady goes and goes and ask me to pay $75 for upgraded device and she told me that, this price is only for Linksys customer and I will not get anywhere. I there and then told her about Amazon. But she didn't helped me with my existing issue. As she was trained to sell the device. Then I send my complaint in writing via Chat to Nikki **. I felt that she doesn't want to work. She didn't responded properly and disconnected the chat.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I understand companies sell a lot of product and some of these products can and do break but it is what the company does for the consumer afterwards. I bought a Linksys AC5400 router, not cheap over $550. After 4 months it quit working so lucky me called customer service. She was nice enough but I couldn't really understand her maybe every third or fourth word on top of a very bad connection. Three hours of explaining what the problem was (their product was broke) during that three hours she had me plug and unplug all the cords many times over. She said it was my modem not the router and to contact my internet provider.

After explaining the problem all over again and more plugging and unplugging she decided the router is defective (YAY FOR ME). Not so fast. I now have to wait for a RMA number (PLEASE READ THE RMA POLICY), been told that could take 6 days package the product, take it to post office and mail it back to them on my dime then wait for them to mail one back. All this time waiting with no internet unless I go buy another router. So the lesson is if you buy a product from this company have a back up from another company.

Original review: July 18, 2017

LINKSYS is running a customer service scam. I invested in an expensive router a few years ago. When it stopped working I called customer service only to be scammed out of $30 for a "FIRMWARE UPDATE..." Worked for 90 days only to be told by an Indian customer service rep that they should have "reconfigured my router..." Wanting to charge me again to get my router working! Fool me once/ shame on you... Fool me twice/ shame on me. Hung up. Very angry with this SCAM PROGRAM. DO yourself a favor. Buy APPLE ROUTER! Hope LINKSYS eventually loses all customers. Will never buy a LINKSYS product again. $30 worth of advice.

Original review: July 13, 2017

Good Afternoon. I purchased two months ago Linksys Router Model No. E2500 for my apt. The router is not working properly. Internet connection goes on and off. I contacted customer service and spent about an hour over the phone. Not to mention that they tried to charge me for technical support. How is this possible? After the company offers a year warranty? I even expressed the representative that since I was under the one year warranty, I would prefer to upgrade the router in order to get a better signal but he answered that was not possible. They said that the only way to return it was if I purchased it straight from them. When I bought this item my expectations were free troubleshooting and technical support, after all. I am buying from reliable and trustworthy company?

Original review: June 21, 2017

Ever since I switched to Linksys, everything got worse. Not worth my money at all. Stops working if you do something as little as turn on the microwave. Also, if more than one person is using the wifi at a time, it will slow down 90%. Sometimes, it's slow even if it's only one person using the wifi! Linksys, do not recommend this internet service provider at all, even dog ** would do better than this worthless piece of metal.

Original review: June 18, 2017

If I had no stars as a rating option, that's exactly what they'd get. I don't ever write reviews but this is ridiculous. I own a Wireless WRT310N Router of which is they indicated is out of warranty. Due to that, they declined to provide me with basic troubleshooting recommendations over the phone without a credit card to charge me for paid support. Nothing with my usage activity has changed yet the router just stopped working. Based on my own attempts to reset, repower, etc. all before calling them, they indicated it's likely defective, which means pay them for extended warranty or purchase a router. Either way, they won't help me for free. They said I could go on their website for support and browse articles that could help. That's basically them turning their head away from me.

I spoke with the Supervisor to state my frustrations with their company policy and he seemed to care less. I told him I'm discontinuing being a customer and basically replied with a "thanks for your time" as if he was reading from a cheat sheet. I'll now take my router business with my internet provider; I will never use a third party company for this. Such incredibly horrible customer service; pure money takers!

Original review: April 6, 2017

Calling Linksys trash is like calling Hitler an amazing person. Linksys is a ** piece of **, that nobody should ever ** buy. It's one of the worst internet services that I've ever used. Currently, using the internet is impossible when something as simple as a microwave is turned on, or using both my computer and my iPhone at the same time is also impossible. That's how trash ** Linksys is. You want good connection? Then stay the ** away from this **.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

I have been a loyal Linksys customer. I own an E4200 router and a Linksys extender. I contacted them via chat because of an issue with the extender. I tried using their support site as well as the user manuals to no avail. The warranty expired on the extender only four days ago and they want to charge me for support!!! Hell no!! I will not be purchasing any Linksys products in the future.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2017

I set up the router but tried to log on to the router to change its name and default password. I kept reaching a page that said the router was not set up correctly even though I had good speed. I contacted support. They logged into my computer via a remote app. After poking around they told me I needed some network software. They said they could provide it to me for $125.00 this after having spent $156.10 for the router. I am sending it back to Amazon and getting a Netgear router instead. I would avoid Linksys.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Linksys EA6400 is junk. I called customer service and they said that the only way to return it was if I purchased it straight from them. I have dealt with them for the last month trying to get it to work, finally purchased a different brand and it connected with no problem. It is wrong a company does not stand behind its product. I have used Linksys for years and will never purchase another one. I will also make it well known through friends, family, and social media that this product is junk.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I was going to make a purchase from the online website but I had some questions first. Called up customer service, directly to India, bad connection, couldn't understand a word of what they said. Guess no Velop 3 pack for me.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2017

Linksys does not have customer support, purchased a router and was having connection issues. No support at all, told me I needed to have my IP address sanitized and my computer software cleaned. Tried selling get me services. REALLY! This should be fraud not just poor practice.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

I was having some device listing connection issues in my network router map. I contacted Linksys about this. Apparently I bought the router a year and two months ago, so they tried to charge me for technical support. I bought an almost $300 router. I expect free troubleshooting and technical support if I buy something for that much! This is the last Linksys product I will ever buy!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

Weak wifi connection even though it says that it enhances the connection of our wifi. Nothing of it is true. The output of it is so weak yet it still dare says enhance (clap). Wasted money and wasted time on buying it. Even my old and previous router/modem is able to process quick and better connection than it.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2016

It's all about money and not customer service from Linksys. I called about a problem, and all they could have just told me was to do a hard reset of their router. Instead, they forwarded me to Geeksworld, so I would have to pay for a problem easily fixed with a simple reset to access the router. All I gotta say is, "What the???" Last time I purchase their product, and no recommendations. Time constraints, made the wrong decision and spent $$ on the Geeksworld techs. No thanks, to Linksys "Useless" Support Dept.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

One of Linksys' best routers. It works intermittently at best. Wifi drops all the time. Shuts off with no networks listed at all. Spent hours on the phone with them to no avail. It's 2 days past 1 yr purchase date so I'm SOL...even though this problem has been happening the entire time I've owned it. I was a fool to buy ANOTHER Linksys router. The last one failed, and their rep told me it was just "too old". So, I was a sucker and went with the most expensive one I could find. Nothing but problems. Didn't last one year. Now I have to go buy yet another router. How do these companies get away with this robbery. Unbelievable!!

Linksys Company Information