1.55/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1005 Lenovo Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I just bought this computer less than 60 days ago. Turned it off and could not turn it back on again. Took it to Best Buy where I purchased it from and they told me my contract only covers hardware issues, not software. The Geek Squad told me that Lenovo is notorious for having those kinds of software issues. The only options they gave me was to spend hundreds of dollars more for fixing a problem not caused by me, or spend 25 -30 dollars more to get it sent back to Lenovo for shipping. Neither Lenovo or Best Buy has good policy returns. I will not buy another Lenovo and furthermore I will look for those products anywhere else but Best Buy. Neither Lenovo or Best Buy stand behind their products.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Extremely bad customer service. No wonder why they blocked the review section on their website!!! Bought a laptop 7 months ago and it never worked properly. After 3 repairs, 11 weeks in repairs, more than 15 calls (long wait time), Lenovo does not want to replace it as per the law. I was finally transferred to the escalation service, it took 4 working days to get a callback. The case manager asked me to reply to an email he sent me with the detailed history. 5 days after, I called back agent and he said he never received both of my emails (initial email + a reminder after 3 days) and that he will investigate the email issue and call me back in 15 fifteen minutes. He never called back and don’t answer my phone calls, so I left a message. He never called me back. After 3 weeks in escalation, I sent a letter of formal notice to the head office and they refused it. It seems they piss off their customer so they will give up.

Get expert buying tips about Computer Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I purchased a Lenovo T480s in June 2018. It had a very loud fan noise out of the box. I should have immediately sent it back but I had to leave for a 2 week trip in 3 days and could not get another computer in time. I called Lenovo and they told me that, even though I had not purchased on site service, they would have someone out the next day. I called back the next day and they said they were sorry but they would again have someone out the next day. The next day (day 3 since the arrival of the machine) I called again when they did not show and they told me I would have to send it in for repairs which would take 7 days. They told me no one ever should have told me on site service was available.

At this point I had 24 hours until my trip so I did not have time to send it back and even buy another brand locally. I wrote a review on the Lenovo website and they sent an e-mail to me saying they could post it because it was negative. I have been putting up with the load noise but I now believe it is overheating as performance slows when the fan comes on. To fix it I have to close down apps to reduce the processor load. I still have the option of sending it in for repair but I can't be without for the 7 days minimum required for repair. I will go buy another brand and then send this in for repair and try to sell it. Calling customer service has been a nightmare, but that will require another review.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I purchased a Lenovo computer and Adobe Creative Cloud, total amount was $909.90. On my account the first pending charge is for $909.90. There's now a second pending charge for $789.95, which they say is because the Adobe Creative Cloud shipped, so they have to reauthorize for the remaining amount. This has put my balance in the negative. They cannot reverse either of the charges until the computer ships, and cannot tell me when that will be. This is unacceptable. The $909.90 pending charge should have been reversed prior to the second pending charge. I've been trying to resolve this for over an hour now and still don't have a resolution.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I tried purchasing an item on their website. The discount looked pretty good. The price went down to 67.99$ from 222$. A 77% discount. When I added it to my cart it went down to 55$. I thought, "Amazing!" I go to checkout, all of a sudden there is an error. I contact customer service and refresh my page then price goes to 139$. Customer service said they would be happy to honor the 67 but I need to prove it. Otherwise it's 139$. I didn't have proof of when it was 55$ so they wouldn't honor that. It seemed like they edited my shopping cart to increase the price. I was not happy at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lenovo?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

From day 1 this is the slowest computer I've ever owned. I replaced a 12 year old Lenovo with i3 processor with this ThinkPad 470 with i5 processor and the old one still boots up faster and pulls up any application faster. I get a new laptop for work every 2 years so I've gone through a lot over the last 14 years, and this is by far the worst performing I've ever owned. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

Really enjoyed the product until 2 months in just stopped working. Had it registered for Warranty after purchase with Lenovo. Sent to Lenovo Repair Center in Memphis TN for warranty repairs. They done absolutely no online updates the 1st month had to call continually to get updates this started Nov 1st 2018 was told halo pad was bad and motherboard, basically everything but the touchscreen. This was 1st week they were waiting on parts. I did get short with them then said, "You should just send a replacement because you will have it for a month so that would be 1/3 of the time I owned it." Got a smart remark back from service on that one.

Spent time calling every week asking for updates because of no repairs listed on website. Nov 21st was guaranteed an update within 24 hrs. Keep in mind my ticket started Nov 1st they issued repair # and was waiting for device to arrive at Repair Center according to the website. Nov 22nd update on the WEBSITE. New ticket # issued and the Repair Center was waiting for the device to arrive (Ticket date changed from 1st to 21st).

Needless to say I am not being very nice to anyone by now. Nov 30th call looking for updates AGAIN. Good news it was shipped out yesterday they tell me so I ask why I was not notified as promise. Once again support is NOT SURE WHY but gives me the routing # and tells me it will be at my house today. NEVER SHOWED looked up routing # with FedEx said delivery date and time still pending. Unit showed up on Dec 3rd. Upon opening my box the edge around the Halo Keypad looked like a saw blade because of all the wedging done to open device by Repair Center. Didn't even start the unit up. Called Lenovo and sent pictures. Received ticket to mail back again assured I am a top priority because of this. They did start updating the Website this time. Dec 7th update my device has been checked by Repair Technician and there is NO STOCK to repair so they will have to wait for parts. STILL WAITING...

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Purchased ThinkPad online. At checkout was told item would ship within 48 hours. I got no shipping confirmation email after 48 hours so I checked order status online. Was now due to ship in 4 more days (4 day delay). Then after another 24 hours got another email stating it "might" ship in the next 30 days. I called customer service, got a Filipino call tree and was told they couldn't verify when it would ship but they would get with the "fulfillment team" and email me within 24 hours to verify shipping. Waited 48 hours. Heard nothing.

Tried to chat with customer service online - waiting hours in a queue and never got a rep. Called the next day (Filipino call tree again) and was told they still didn't know when it would ship. I asked to cancel the order and they said they would "submit a request" for my cancellation but couldn't guarantee Lenovo would honor the cancellation request. Still waiting. I will get legal representation if I have to. NEVER BUY FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I've only bought 1 Lenovo item from Lenovo directly (computers as well from other resellers). It is a Smart Display (like Google's Hub). I will never buy a Lenovo product unless the likes of Amazon buys the company. The smart display arrived defective (screen did not power on) and I spent over an hour the phone with over 5 individuals who did not understand English, was disconnected twice, and referred to 4 different phone numbers. I'm still not even sure if the warranty process I tried to initiate was successful. Horrendous experience top to bottom and I highly recommend avoiding this company. The products are usually pretty well made, but if something goes wrong, it's going to be a hassle to say the least if you want to get it fixed.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I purchased a Lenovo Y540 for my son X-mas 2017. After 10 months the keyboard stopped working. I experienced several unsuccessful interactions with customer service before my case was escalated to a case manager who replaced the machine with a supposedly new Y740. However, this took several phone calls, long hold times, and several technicians who made useless recommendations over the course of 3 weeks. After two weeks, with the new Y730, the motherboard stopped working. I emailed my case manager. I phoned my case manager. Never with a response. Finally, after two months, I received my money back. What a horrendous experience. Do not buy these products. The entire experience was a nightmare.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We tried to place our $2,000.00 order for a desktop tower, 3 monitors, and much more since 11/21/2018. We have now placed the order 3 times and they keep cancelling it for no reason after we submit payment. They have no idea what hand is feeding the other. Each and every department tells us to contact the other departments for help and place you in a big circle or nothing getting accomplished for hours out of your work day. I would recommend never buying from Lenovo unless you already have an established good relationship because they do not put the customers first.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

[ISSUES WITH THE LENOVO Y530] If you want to buy this laptop think twice because I have severe issues with it. I believe that no matter the price of the computer you buy, every laptop company should have a top-notch customer care. And it's in the way companies handle customer's issue that you recognize a good brand... So that's why I'm sharing my bad experience: I bought the Lenovo Legion Y530 on the 28th of October. 10 days later, he wasn't working anymore, had to go to a Lenovo shop. The same day, I had to go to another Service Center (in Kuala Lumpur) because my computer wasn't still working.

After 7 days, I got my Lenovo Legion Y530 back. 13 days later, it stopped working again. I didn't install any weird softwares. Just some of the Adobe Suite and McAfee protection. And when it stopped working I was just doing some internet research! My computer is now in a Service Center in Thailand and they asked me to go back to Malaysia to repair it because they don't have what my computer needs. They just format it (again) and change the HD. I can't go back because I'm travelling and working around Asia and have plans with family. They're meeting me in December in Vietnam.

I ask for a refund to Lenovo and they're just fooling around and refused to give me one. Maybe I just buy a bad "series" and this computer can work fine but at the end, if you have any problem with it, it will be really difficult to have an answer. Trust me and I'm not the only person complaining about it. Just go and check what people say about their customer service. And the fun thing is that I'm a freelancer so: no computer, no work. Hope it can help you. Have a good day.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I upgraded my Spectrum service in order increase bandwidth and speed. The 5g wifi would not populate on my available networks. It populates automatically on another laptop and my cellphones. After 2 calls and a long wait the rep stated they could help me for a "nominal" fee. I will never buy Lenovo again.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I study Computer Science and I sent the laptop in for repairs having been told it would take three days. They sent it back a week later and the screen would not turn on. It eventually took 3 months to repair (they kept saying it will only be one more week the whole time), during which I was forced to use my computer from 2007 which could not run any of the programs I needed to do my final project. I asked if they could send a loaner computer to me during this period since I could not afford to buy one and not only did they refuse, they had no sympathy and offered no other solution.

The real kicker is the problem has happened three other times since they "repaired" it. They do everything they can to say the issue is your fault so they don't have to pay. Since then I've probably spent as much money on renting computers, buying another warranty, and other products to work around the issue as I did on the laptop. At this price a computer should last more than a year. Save your money and buy a Surface.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

For reasons unknown, my P71 laptop went into airplane mode. And, what I didn't know and am disappointed with is that battery charging was therefore, disabled. All I noticed was that the battery was going dead; that it was not charging. I was in a foreign country and my AC adapter appeared to be defective. But, not so. Lenovo simply disabled charging without giving me any notification whatsoever. Not nice. So, I'm running around with my head cut off for hours trying to figure out if I can purchase a new AC adapter and pulling my hair out. Then I notice the airplane on the network icon and switch airplane mode off and voila, charging starts. How dumb. What a waste of my time.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I was experiencing problems such as: 1) I couldn't type anything in the search box, 2) When I clicked on the window on the bottom left my programs wouldn't come up, 3) I was unable to brighten the screen on F11 & F12, 4) I couldn't change the volume (higher or lower) on the F2 and F3 key. Microphone on Cortana wouldn't respond. I clicked on Driver Finder, got that working, it took a while for it to work once I requested that it find drives. When it was completed my computer worked properly. I recommend this for most problems.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I really do not care who reads this. I have had the absolute worst experience with this company that I am gonna send every product I have purchase this holiday back to them! I would rather not deal with them at all! How is it that I have something in my cart to purchase, press the PayPal option, log in, select account and it reverts me back to an empty cart. Not only did it take forever to get to the shopping cart but the apologizing that the system is overloaded is not a relevant excuse. You obviously did not prepare for the traffic you received. Which is not anyone's fault but yours as a company, as a director of sales, as a reputable business. There is zero reason if you had properly prepared for this to even happen. Period. I had even selected my payment option and at that instance my shopping cart should have been accounted for. No one should have had access to the item in my cart until I had failed to process a payment.

But that was in fact not how things went. Instead I returned to an empty cart. Which to me since it happened 2 nights in a row, is extremely unsettling. I wasted my time 2 nights in a row. And then additional time waiting 30 plus minutes on hold for the customer service to be a complete ** about the issue. I am trying to figure out how it was removed from my cart while I had already selected my payment option and all of my information was already in the system. I got not one valid reason as to why even after I selected my payment that I was returned to an empty cart. Where should the line be drawn? Obviously that was a bad business move on your part.

Quite frankly that is a direct reflection of the way this company does business and a direct reflection of the rating they have received on this site! I was required to give Lenovo a rating so I gave them one star for even being ratchet enough to answer the phone after 30 minutes on hold. They didn't offer the option to leave zero stars or a negative star rating or they would have gotten a negative 5 stars. Way to go Lenovo. You have just taken your ** business approach to an even lower level. And I didn't even think that was possible. Good luck to you and yours. Hope you have a night full of pissed off customer service calls to deal with because that is definitely what you deserve. Sincerely, no longer a customer of yours...

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I can't believe they are a large corporation that can have such an incredibly incompetent warranty department. On-site warranty where they don't show up to the appointment and don't call. TWICE! When you're able to get a hold of another rep, they disregard any errors. Been using Thinkpads since the IBM days for the last 17 years, but it ends now.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

If I could give less than one star I would. I purchased a Lenovo Idea Pad at the end of 2017. A few months later the screen started to flicker and shake. Upon calling customer service they referred me to some online solutions which worked temporarily, but the problem continued to happen again. I then was on the phone on more than one occasion for up to an hour or more running through new drivers, BIOS updates etc. 10 months and multiple phone calls later, they told me I could pay them $99 for a repair kit, or send my computer back for a repair which could take up to 15 days for a turn around. I use my computer every day for work and neither of these "solutions" are acceptable. So less than a year later, I'm now looking to purchase a new laptop. Although polite, the customer service reps offer NO acceptable solutions. Do NOT purchase a Lenovo product! Save your money and purchase from a more reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Lenovo does not honor its warranty contracts. Having dealt with them on two separate issues, I truly believe their customer services reps are trained on how to avoid responding to customer service needs. Their reps do not answer the phone, return phone messages, or return emails. If service is important, I'd recommend going elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

Advised by computer company to purchase the Lenovo E580 as the laptop is showcased as robust and can be moved around as I'm a contractor, this laptop needs to come with me. A week after I purchased the laptop Click Right Pt. Moody loaded the new Lenovo laptop windows and transferred files. I was called to come pick up the machine.

Upon getting this laptop home I fired her up and immediately noticed a flicker in the screen. Did not matter if I was on/off line or using a word doc, etc etc. I found this odd and called Click Right and they said to bring it in for a "stress" test? I was also taken aback the technician failed to notice the flicker or failed to notify me, it's one or the other. A week after returning the computer shop called and said the laptop no longer flickers but no repairs were made. Of course when I brought it home and fired it up guess what? The flicker was even more evident. Like WTF? I can't understand why the technician failed to notice the laptop is defective.

Now the real fun part begins. My laptop has been sent to Lenovo under warranty. Really like I haven't even had a chance to warm the paperweight up and it has to go in for warranty. I called Lenovo and wow was I in for a shock. Their archaic system is something I would have come across 20 years ago. Customer service is non-existent. I see a lot of the similar complaints especially of the flickering screen. This is an INFERIOR product and is not even worth the effort of being a paperweight. JUNK JUNK JUNK and I will never purchase another Lenovo product again. Guess how my reviews are going to go.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I purchased a Lenovo Yoga 730 for school because my Dell XPS finally gave up on after 10 years. Right after 3 weeks of purchase the screen started flickering. Since it was over the 15 days that Best Buy allows for a return, I decided to wait a couple weeks to send it in for repair since I have many reports and midterm to study for. This my only laptop at home and I tried to stretch it out till I didn’t need my laptop as much. It didn’t even last a week until the screen finally didn’t want to turn on. You can see the keyboard and power button lights up but LCD was just black. Now I have finals and final projects to do and don’t have my BRAND NEW LAPTOP that I paid over $800 dollars for. I can’t study at school because I have to take care of my daughter at home. Thanks Lenovo for screwing me over.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I want to like my X1. It’s light and sexy. From day one the camera would fail after a half of hour. It took 45 minutes on a call for the person to realize it was a hardware issue. Then the computer started to lock up and rebooting took 10 minutes after I got an error message. Quickly the new person said I needed to re-image. I repeatedly asked what was the problem. She couldn’t answer, all she could give me the solution. This last call like all the previous call was frustrating. The customer service people don’t know anything. They only read from a script. Often previous calls or actions are lost in their system. The order to send out a box to replace the camera was canceled. I’ve been on long holds only to be disconnected.

When I owned a Lenovo laptop a few years ago their support was amazing— very knowledgeable and helpful. This time around in a dozen calls, I can’t say I had one person who knew more than me— that’s not good. I don’t fault the reps; I fault Lenovo— they aren’t training their people. Unfortunately, I would not recommend the X1 even though I would like to. The product is not reliable, and the service is worse; I now wish I ordered an HP business laptop. My previous laptops were HP Elites— their reps are techs, they actually help.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Had performance issues and small issues since day 1. I even upgraded to SSD and still find the performance underwhelming for simple things (I'm not much of a PC gamer). I did a clean install of 8.1 Pro and then upgraded to 10. It is a little better, but now I see the screen is separating from the lid right above the camera. I have never dropped or abused this laptop at all. I honestly don't even use it much, so it's definitely a manufacturer defect, but luckily for me the warranty expired 3 months ago. :) I won't be buying another Lenovo. Update 10/30/18 So the hinge broke free from the display on both sides. That explains all the cracking sounds this thing has been doing since I've had it. Just do a search on Lenovo hinge issue and you'll see it's a well known defect (Especially with the Y50). Lenovo knew about the issue and did nothing to fix it. I will never purchase anything with the Lenovo or Motorolla brand since they own them now.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Flex 6 laptop stopped working after 6 months of light use on October 7, 2018. Lenovo says part to fix will not arrive until November 27, 2018. I have a 3-year Premier support contract for next-day onsite service. DO NOT BUY FROM LENOVO - products break under normal use and they do not honor their support contracts. Service Order #: **.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I have Lenovo k8 note cell phone which I had bought in August 2017 and in November I had replaced my display because Yellow patch issue is there. Then in 2018 in from September I had visited service center four time. Still they are not able to resolve issue. They again replace display, motherboard and more part still heating, hanging, display and more issue is occurring. So please it's my humble request to everyone never buy this phone because very pathetic service provided by service center and Miss ** said from head department you have to submit your phone again as I already visited four time.

They are not providing replacement because my warranty get expire in coming days so after warranty expired they will say now you are not able for replacement. This is very pathetic response. You will not able to use any Lenovo phone properly because every time issue in phone so you have to drop your phone to service center which is not possible because service center is so long and we have work. I have also uploaded job sheet which is proof that I had visit service center four time and also head department is not taking any action.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I was very excited to purchase a new two in one laptop from Lenovo! However, sadly my happiness was very short lived. I purchased a new 2 in 1 laptop complete with every possible warranty, extra pens, and various Microsoft software as well as art and drawing software. I've been waiting to get just what I wanted. The laptop arrived with NO instructions or information at all. I turned it on and tried to log in and import some information from a previous laptop, I was able to get a few items, but not much. WHY? They (Lenovo) set up my computer with an email address that was set up as a workaround by the Microsoft store I had my previous computer repaired at. Did they ask me if I used that email? NO. Did I know they were going to set things up with this information? NO. Then they set up the basics but did not download any of the software I purchased!

I have attempted several times to contact them as they supposedly have a satisfaction guarantee, and on and on. I even took the day off so I could contact them, and was told they needed to have someone call me back!! BIGGEST PROBLEM - They have hours where they are ONLY open until 7 or 8 pm DEPENDING ON THE DEPARTMENT EASTERN STANDARD TIME! So, living on the West Coast, that means the time is 4 or 5 pm. I work until 5:30 pm then drive 45 min. home. I cannot get anyone to assist me with the product codes etc. from the software I purchased from this company because I have a job.

When I attempted to explain this problem to a supervisor this was his response. "I can't do anything about the hours of operation, you just need to find a friend or someone who can contact that department during business hours and give them access to your laptop and passwords!!!" YES, Believe it or not, this computer company who states on and on they are safe and helpful etc. refers people who purchase computers from them to "give someone else access to your computer and have them contact us!"

Then they go on to say I can't even speak to someone about returning this laptop that I can't access anything on because, you guessed it, they are only open until 5 pm EASTERN TIME M-F! So I have over $2,200 sitting in my house and with none of the software I purchased and set up with an email address that is sending messages to space, because it doesn't really exist! Never would I recommend this company!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Bought a Lenovo and received the laptop yesterday. Registered the computer. Need help transferring data from SSD to HDD on the laptop. Tech Support wants to charge me extra $100. I have a year no warranty. Disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I buy laptops before 1 month and we hardly use laptop 5 to 7 times and there occur problem in keyboard. In keyboard the right shift in combination with "C" can't work and mostly laptop hangs within one month. We go to service center and we also call customer care they take our laptop on remote (online keyboard test) but there are no solution of this problem. Then they ask us to replace keyboard. We don't want to replace keyboard in any condition because it's new laptop and it's under warranty and within one month there start occurring problems because it is previously defaulted piece and it is technical problem and it's can't be solved and we are students and we can't do anything more and we don't want defaulted piece... It's a defaulted piece made from company so they can't replace our laptop. We tell our problem with seller or service centre...they can't do our help... I never think this type of service give Lenovo with customers.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Do not buy a Lenovo unless you really REALLY can fix anything that breaks yourself. First, deceptive adds which offer up to $100 off and they add ("Yep, even on sale items") until you buy a sale item and find you were deceived and your item is not included. Second, tech support impossible to find, no phone number listed on their website, and if you can get through, they don't know the answers to difficult questions - like what to do when your new computer crashes. Third, other than that, a great laptop and a good price, I bought it from Lenovo website, but dread dealing with Lenovo and hope I never have to again.

Lenovo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Lenovo is a Chinese multinational technology and computer company with headquarters in Beijing and in Morrisville, N.C. Lenovo is a leading designer of personal computers, laptops, tablets, work stations, electronic storage devices, smartphones and more. It was founded in 1984.

• ThinkCentre desktops: Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops are designed with enterprises in mind. ThinkCentre computers are ideal for running business programs.

• Lenovo H series: Lenovo’s H series of desktops is its line of home desktops. These computers are equipped to handle most casual and home office needs.

• Lenovo Thinkpad: The Lenovo Thinkpad is Lenovo’s dependable, durable line of laptops. Lenovo offers several different models, including the Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 laptop that can be used a laptop or tablet.

• Lenovo Ideapad: Lenovo Ideapad laptops are designed for multimedia performance, including Y-series laptops optimized for gaming.

• Y-Series gaming: Lenovo’s Y Series of gaming desktops offer peak computer power for high-quality graphics and performance.

• Best for: Lenovo computers are best for casual users, businesses, home offices and gamers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs