Lenovo

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In August of 2016, I purchased a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad 460s for around $1000.00. Since August, I have sent the laptop for repairs 3 times for the same problem: the power button lights up but the screen remains blank. The first time I called customer service in November of 2016, I was told to bring the laptop to an authorized dealer in my area for repair. So I did. In January, I had the same problem again. This time, I sent the laptop directly to Lenovo for repair. In May, the same problem happened for the third time. I decided that this laptop must be a "lemon" and asked for a replacement. I was told that even though it has broken three times in less than 6 months, and I have a warranty, that it wasn't possible to get a replacement. So I sent the laptop back for the third time and was told that the case would be escalated. I was promised the laptop back in 5-6 days.

It is now June 14th. (one month later) I have heard nothing from Lenovo via email or phone regarding the status of the repair. At one point, a few weeks back, after waiting on hold for about half an hour, I was told that there was a note in the file stating that the technician needed to contact me for more information. Yet, no one did. I was told there was a backup in calling customers. I was once again promised that the case would be escalated.

Each time I tried to call for a status, I waited over 45 minutes on hold. Each time, I hung up in frustration. Today, after waiting 1/2 an hour I finally spoke to a human. For my "update," I was given the same status that I was given two weeks ago. After some more complaining I was transferred to a different number. Then a third number. I believe I spoke to customer service, sales, and tech support. Still, the only information I can get is that they are holding my repair for customer information. Again, no one has contacted me... so how can I give them any information they might need. I also tried contacting them through email but no response. Would never buy again. Horrible product, horrible service.

I talked to at least 5 of their technicians, all of them were very rude! They did not hold back from saying racist remarks about me being an American. Also, I was billed 195$ AND THEY DID NOT EVEN FIX MY ISSUES!!! I am contacting my bank AND my lawyer! I hope you get shut down for such an awful call center. I cannot believe Lenovo will allow such things to happen to their customers!! I know they are located overseas and whoever is managing that sector needs to be FIRED! They do not teach their employees manners OR customer service!

I have to say I'm sorely disappointed with the small business sales division of this company. I've been thru 4 sales account representatives in less than 3 months. I just checked on an order I put in with a purchase order almost a month ago. Looks like it never made it thru the system. When I asked for a manager, I couldn't even get a telephone number to reach him. Needless to say, I'm sorely disappointed.

I bought brand new 1 week old Lenovo Ideapad 310-15KIB-80TV laptop and the fan will not stop running and the battery will not charge and I am always at work and can never get a hold of Lenovo customer support during the weekdays. This suck and in the evening time during the weekdays their phone system sucks. Never can get through to them to help me and their website is worthless for info on my problems.

UPDATED ON 05/21/2017: A follow up to my problem after logging on to set up a call back they called me today. I was hoping for them to do remote log in to help me with my problem on my laptop before sending it in to be fixed and they will not do it unless I pay them. This not good on a laptop that is only week old and under warranty and just want me to sent it in to get fixed. Whether it is a missing driver or a setting that I don't have set right for the fan or to see if is hardware problem or bad fan. I used an old power pack and it charges up fine and they will not replace my new pow adapter. It took me three times with three different people to get answers out of them and I bought it brand new.

A week old Lenovo Ideapad 310-15KIB-80TV laptop and the fan will not stop running now and have to buy replacement power pack for it. Also I can never get a hold of Lenovo during the weekdays because I am at work and it's hard on the weekends to get a hold of them like today. This is not good and in the evening time during the weekdays their phone system sucks, never can get through to them to help me and their website is worthless for info on my problems.

Now I have to wait 3 days for them to send me a box to send it back and leave it porch wall at work to get stolen for FedEx pick it up for slow ground shipping and it will take a week for them to fix it and slow ground back to me if FedEx does their job like when I bought it. Then never home to get it and it and never have time to pick it up because FedEx is always closed when I get off work because I will have sign for it. This sucks. Now I am out 900 dollars if fix right or can pick it up in time. Also they ask if dropped it. I told them no and taken the laptop apart. I told them why it's brand new.

I certainly have had poor product quality experience with my Lenovo Laptop - enough to never purchase again (including a hard disk failure and failure to power on, but the support and extended warranty rates all time worst) - in my opinion, based on my personal experience. I do not understand how they can sell a warranty called "next day on site business support" (which I have for three years) and then have "support down", "takes 5-7 days on average for someone to get out", "takes months to get parts from China", etc. I am really surprised there has been some kind of government or consumer action for this type of marketing tactic. There is no one by phone to talk to, only a very vague escalation process which appears to be as bad as regular support.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lenovo?

HAVE E550 LESS THAN A YEAR - Headphone quit - I do a lot of music stuff - Keyboard quit working - NO SPILLS NO DROPS - JUST QUIT. They tried to say out of warranty. Sent copy of receipt 3 times before acknowledgment. Then they said ok updated. All is good. We are are going to fix it for free. I even bought an extended warranty because don't trust them. Absolute horrible communication between depts. Do not buy one. They try to weasel out of everything. I have only contacted the BBB once. I'm going to write to the Better Business Bureau about them. I'm Angry.

I buy and sell a lot of electronics and Lenovo has to be one of the WORST companies I have ever dealt with!!! I tried placing an order for a $1000 laptop on a Friday. I had a coupon code that gave me an additional $75 off and it was applied to my online cart. When I tried ordering it online, my payment could not be processed and I did not have an option for expedited shipping. I tried calling Lenovo and the rep told me that they were having a lot of processing errors and that the expedited shipping just wasn't an option. He could not get my payment to go through over the phone, and then told me that I would just have to wait. I waited until Sunday and tried to place an online order and the $75 coupon code now wasn't able to be applied.

I called Lenovo once again and the rep informed me that he could not help me with the coupon and asked me to call back Monday. Monday morning came and I called as soon as customer service was open. They also informed me that they could not help with the coupon code and pretty much called me a liar about the processing issue from the previous Friday. I have never had a company fight me so hard on giving them business. I also asked to speak to a manager and was told that it usually takes 24-48 hours to receive a call back from manager. This was my only experience with Lenovo and I can assure you it will be my last!!! I did not place the order with Lenovo. I have found that companies that give you issues with placing orders offer even worse tech support. I have always heard terrible things about Lenovo concerning customer service and failed hardware, but my experience has taught me how horrible Lenovo truly is.

Lenovo has THE WORST customer service brushing up against other disastrous companies like Dell. Outsourced customer service reps who follow a script and repeat themselves until you hang up and take on the situation by yourself. Be smart: call the customer service line OF THE PRODUCT you want to buy because now Lenovo has IDEA pads (aka: Terrible-Service Pads) and THINK pads.

If you bought an Idea pad and you're not covered by your warranty (don't hold your breath, you're never covered by your warranty) then prepare to pay for another complete laptop within the first 2 years of purchasing your Lenovo laptop. And get ready for the catch which comes directly from customer "support" themselves: You cannot reach the service department to get a quote on what it will cost. Send it in and we will contact you to tell you the price of replacing the product. Aka: Send it in, when we have it and you haven't been able to work for a week, we'll tell you how many hundreds of dollars it will cost you, and if it's too much, we'll send it back to you after having solved nothing and made you lose up to 2 weeks of work. "Lenovo, You Don't Have Enough Problems... Why Don't You Buy a Few More?”

I loaded Microsoft student on my new Y700 that the VA sent me and Excel will not work. I've tried un-installing it a number of times, just won't work. Confirmed for me what "Lowest Bidder" means when the government is involved.

Lenovo Tab S8 50F - I initially purchased at PC world March/April 2016. After one week it wouldn't charge. Brought it back. Wouldn't refund for new one as they said it wasn't Lenovo policy. They took it and sent to Lenovo. It came back and within a couple of weeks the same happened... I returned it again within 8 weeks. I didn't even bother bringing it traveling, seemed pointless. I've just returned from traveling and it takes 10 minutes to boot up and then can't do anything on it. What a useless waste of money.

I purchased this laptop (Lenovo Ideapad 500) in December of 2015. I have had 2 ThinkPads previously and really liked the durability of those machines. With this purchase, I knew I didn't need such a fancy machine. The machine ran excellent, never a problem, well, except for the fact that the keyboard cover was slightly loose when I purchased it. I just assumed that's why Best Buy as selling it so cheaply. My warranty expired on Feb. 17, 2017. A week later, my computer began to function slowly. It would freeze up constantly. I purchased more Malwarebytes protection thinking that would help. But no, the more stuff I put onto the computer the more it got slow. I haven't even used a 1/4 of the memory. I'm just not a heavy computer user.

A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't even open apps. Then I started getting error messages at the start-up and prompts telling me to insert the recovery disc. This machine never came with a disc! Finally the screen just went dark. I called customer service and after reading other reviews, although I knew I wasn't going to get far with them, but for the sake of following best protocol, I figured I'd better just call. Someone from another country tried to sell me another warranty so I could ship my computer to Lenovo for them to have a look.

My sense, given all the bad reviews of this machine, is that they already know the problem. Long story short and $250 later I ended up with a new hard drive. Now the screen is going dim. This machine design is crap. I will NEVER purchase Lenovo again based on this very experience. There is no formal complaint line or email for Lenovo, so I will continue to place my reviews wherever I can and encourage folks who are having the same issue to do the same.

This Lenovo 10150 C560 All-In-One desktop computer is the WORST computer I've ever had!! CONSTANTLY freezes up, cursor disappears at the opening of the menu screen, shuts itself down from time to time, etc. Whatta piece of raw junk! And actually just about from day one. We've had the geeks work on it time and time and time again and it continues to revert to its original lousy state. I will NEVER buy a Lenovo ANYTHING again! All you good folks out there that are considering this computer... beware!

8 months into owning my Lenovo Yoga laptop I experienced a hard drive failure. I brought the computer to my regular computer repairman. He began dealing with Lenovo 5 WEEKS ago. After 3 weeks Lenovo sent the computer back as repaired. He turned it on to find a black screen and no function whatsoever. He gave them an ultimatum to either replace the computer or send an onsite repair man within 72 hours. It took Lenovo another 5 days to respond to him and the response is completely unacceptable to me at this time. The email states that the system does not qualify for replacement yet, that they will send an onsite repair man within a WEEK OR TWO. Parts may be back ordered and it could take longer.

This was our 5th Lenovo computer and will likely be our last. I have no issue with the fact the hard drive failed. Things happen. What matters most to me is the way businesses handle problems when they arise. In this case Lenovo has failed miserably showing no consideration for the fact that I use this computer for work, 5 weeks is not an appropriate amount of time to solve a problem, and the email from the customer care manager states that "this is their final determination into this matter and they will not be able to provide an alternate resolution at this time." When calling to discuss with the case manager I received voice mail that essentially said use email if I wish to follow up on this matter.

I HATE Lenovo and everyone that works there. I hate everything that has to do with Lenovo. Their products are made in China and their computers are only good on their paid advertisements. My screen has keyboard marks, my right click doesn't click. They sent me a replacement only for new problems to arise. I called customer support just to realize what I went through last time wasn't worth it. Under warranty, I had to wait 6 weeks to get my broken laptop back and everyone including the case manager is TERRIBLE at trying to help you. I don't have any words to actually describe how bad I hate this company, their computers, and their customer service.

After having the computer (ThinkPad Laptop) for three months - the cursor was jumping all over the page - making it impossible to correspond or write a report without incredible difficulty and TIME. I finally found the correct contact information for the repair of the computer. They shipped me a box, and I returned it for the repair. I was told it would be a 5 day turnaround... That was WEEKS ago. The part that died was the track pad... which is currently on backorder from CHINA! The Lenovo company has been IMPOSSIBLE to deal with and offered to send back the computer unfixed if I was so unhappy! The time frame that I was finally able to extract... and I mean extract from one miserable customer service person was anywhere from 1-2 weeks to over a month...

They have no way of knowing when the parts will arrive! I was told I could escalate my repair to a ** and all that got me was more emails stating the same thing... it's in for repair and the repair order is on HOLD due to parts being on backorder. WORST COMPUTER I'VE EVER BOUGHT... and the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE or lack thereof I've ever dealt with! I am a business person who also attends college... and they couldn't care less! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and DON'T BUY THESE PRODUCTS... so not worth the trouble!

I bought this laptop and after realizing the keyboard was not going to work for me based on the odd placement of the shift key, I immediately set to return the product. The person helping me asked if I was interested in possibly checking out another laptop for an exchange instead of a return. He told me to take my time with deciding on the new laptop option and if I didn't want it, I could then go through with the return. After multiple attempts to reach him again about the return with no luck, I called the customer service line again to officially make the return.

I was then told that I was out of the time frame for any returns and it would not be processed. I escalated the matter and was given a case manager, Greg. Greg has never returned my calls or emails. Apparently for the entire company there is only ONE PERSON that can help me, but he never answers his phone or returns calls. Now I have to take time out of every day to make a call to get this resolved. Poor customer service!

One of our laptop's hard drive crashed. It was a Windows 10 however when they sent me a new hard drive they only gave me a Windows 8 recovery CD. I used the recovery CDs and now the machine is prompting me for a new CD key. It's been 10 days and I still get thrown around technical support for a new CD key. I don't understand how this company is still in business. It's a simple hard drive repair and reformat. I continue to be thrown around their call center. Georgia, India, Georgia, India. I just want the CD key that came with the machine!

Right when I unpacked the laptop the buttons on the trackpad wouldn't work at all. At first I thought it was a fluke, I disabled, re-enabled and checked the driver to make sure it was updated and working, the computer told me it was. So the issue with my brand new laptop is the hardware. I don't have any warranty information because I simply can't find that anywhere, and yes I've reset my laptop. In addition, it is incredibly slow. I know it's only quad core i3 but it can take up to 20 minutes to boot and get on the internet let alone run anything that takes a bit more cpu or gpu. It frequently will soon after being turned on, so no it's not from overheating turn off abruptly and suddenly in the middle of my doing something. It makes a small high pitched power down sound when it does and a small faint click. I've checked the drivers, it's not a virus because it's new and I have anti-virus. Also I'm not dumb enough to go on sketchy sites.

And I know you're going to recommend I hold the power button, which I've done, press it repeatedly which I've done, and remove the battery, which requires tools and partial dis-assembly on this model which is stupid. This laptop was made from cheap garbage and it isn't worth a quarter of what was paid. Yes it was bought from an official site, but nothing works right on it, since the moment I got it. When it powers down I've had to wait up to 6 hours before it'd turn on. It says it's charging, and the laptop does this at like 90% battery. It's kept in optimal conditions, and always able to vent. But is unresponsive altogether when it does this.

It's garbage, and I'm doing this as a warning, don't cheap out and buy from Lenovo. They'll come broken or break soon from their flimsy materials and piss poor specs. They make just as much as other companies because they use crap materials. They have about the same profit per unit. It's worth another 100 to get a Dell. My bottom of the barrel desktop that was made cheap and designed in 07 functions better than my "new" laptop.

First of all I have had Geek Squad on here 3 times and they will not remove the Lenovo info that is changing my information plus I do banking on phone and computer. The Cricut Craft Room and Cricut Design. They are staying here. I want google chrome for my home page as I do mostly scrapbooking and card making and they are always on. So please give me your permission to take them off entirely. I am very tired of their **. So may I delete him to its entire. I bought the computer at Best Buy in Inver Grove Heights, MN and they also have looked at this machine.

I purchased a Thinkpad at a very high price tag thinking I was getting quality. I also thought I had a decent warranty but after calling when I had a problem after installing Office they said it only covered hardware. They preload the computer with tons of garbage and useless apps stealing our personal information that isn't compatible with the programs a business person really needs and they cause all kinds of problems and then won't help you with it and they and sell you some worthless software support plan with people from the Philippines that don't even speak English!

Now they have a known driver issue, ADMITTED THEY HAVE AN ISSUE and my touch screen and DOESN'T WORK AT ALL and they basically send you around the mulberry bush with one excuse after the other with no intentions on ever helping the consumer and basically have told me they sell a computer with a warranty that only covers it turning on! So I have a computer that only half works! Stay away, buyer beware!!! They warranty absolutely nothing else!!! So don't buy a Lenovo unless you want to end up with a giant paper weight because that is what I have and they don't care!!!

My Lenovo Edge 15 fell apart at the rear hinge and when closing it, the screen broke. The cover separated from the screen. My computer never leaves the house except to get it repaired twice under warranty. The hinge failing is obviously a design flaw, but Lenovo will not repair it and do not have a provision for failing hardware situations. I would never recommend purchasing their product. I was told to take it to a local technician. Not much about customer service.

We bought three Lenovo desktop machines late last year and one failed within six months. They sent out a repair guy twice who was useless and hadn't got a clue how to fix it. When he gave up he arranged for Lenovo to take it away. That's the last we've seen of the machine. They tell lies on the phone, promise to ring you back then don't. Ignore emails and fob you off when you do get through on the phone.

They are now saying they are waiting for a part. Lenovo one of the biggest PC manufacturers apparently can't get its hands on an Intel i7 CPU. It’s just nonsense. We bought the three machines off eBuyer who wouldn't help us and re-directed me to Lenovo so that's it for them as well. If this is their idea of customer service they can stick it. One bitten, twice shy as it goes. Both Lenovo and Ebuyer won't see another penny from my company after this. They'll happily take your money and if something goes wrong you'll wish you had bought another brand.

Just another bunch of incompetent greedheads preying on the vulnerable. This actually is Lenovo Premium Support, to which I turned in desperation. At least eight times I tried to set up an account. Every time it posted "address incorrect." The address is accurate. It is accurate beyond question. It's Premium Support that's **. I'm going to call them tomorrow with a question: If you can't even handle a street address, how will you be able to fix a computer, which is only about 2 million times as complicated?

Lenovo ideaCentre flex 20 - Horrible, horrible product. Do NOT purchase. My keyboard doesn't work, my mouse the cursor is all over the screen clicking on items all by itself. Forget about calling customer service, they are useless! They try to force you into paying exorbitant fees for issues with their product. Never will I ever purchase anything with Lenovo on it! I've been dissatisfied since the minute I made my purchase. The only good thing about the item is its appearance & that one star was because the rating is required so I had to give a star. Horrible, horrible product! Will be throwing in the trash shortly. A waste of my money!

My power cord shorted out while under warranty. Tech dept said I would have one in three days business days (annoying that I could not find a Lenovo cord in Los Angeles - not even Best buy had in stock.). No e-mail confirmation was sent. A week passed - I called again - not easy to get connected to correct dept - nothing had been ordered. Spent a great deal of time starting over, only to be told that this had to be sent to an upper level for approval which could take several days! After throwing a fit (can't charge my laptop) - was told someone would call me back in three hours and I would receive an e-mail. Neither happened. Called back today. The whole case had been cancelled!!!! Had to start over. They say I'll have it in three days.

This Lenovo Edge 2 I got at Best Buy (on the STRONG recommendation of the sales person, who also recommended that it was better to get one without a CD DVD drive - and then insisted on selling me one of those) is the worst laptop I have ever owned. Just when I think I get one issue resolved, another one pops up. Lenovo won't help, Best Buy is just happy that they unloaded such a piece of junk on an obvious easy target (a retired person on social security). I just wish I had read other reviews before I bought this paperweight.

I know I am naive, and obviously, gullible, but don't these people feel badly about having no sense of responsibility for putting out an obviously defective product. Sadly, I still have to make payments to BEST BUY. Like making payments on a wrecked car. I have decided to post a notice on our neighborhood website (37 large neighborhoods) and hope I can prevent someone else from trusting this company's products and the people who unload them on unsuspecting customers. Shame on them.

After half year of using Lenovo S660 I had some problem missing the network all time. Before I pull out the battery and put it again back... after searching the forums, I was not alone. It’s the worst phone I have ever own. Poor technology and ** customer support.

We bought a computer for my husband's schooling abroad. Before he moved, we found that it was defective so it was taken back to the store to be repaired 3 times. The 4th time, we were told we needed to mail it to Lenovo, which was done. We received it back a few weeks later still not properly functioning. We tried and tried through every possible communication method to receive the help we needed and had been told we would contacted the day we were moving out. We left 3 messages on the phone, and emailed our case manager.

My husband flew out to New Zealand to start classes. While trying to use the computer, it would crash every 15 minutes, and he asked me to see what I could do about it because I was still in the country for a while. I emailed the case manager again and gave her all our information, to which I received no reply. I chatted online with a team member and forwarded the email to her, and was told that the case manager would be advised and contact me in 24 hours, which she did not, so I emailed the team member from chat to tell her, and I received no reply to that either. On the phone, the people in customer service said 'I understand ma'am' but would not do anything to help. They refused to have the product replaced and said we needed to send it in for another repair attempt.

After insisting and insisting, I was sent to a supervisor who told me all the same things and that WE would have to PAY the international shipping costs to send it in for another attempt at fixing it (not only did he say this, but then he interrupted me by repeating several times that 'there are NO exceptions'), which I found absolutely ridiculous for the reasons that it was their product that had never worked and would cost a lot of time and money to mail it back, and we had tried our best to get it dealt with BEFORE the move overseas. We were also pretty skeptical that a 5th repair would do any more than the previous 4 had done. Having this computer repaired had already cost a lot of time and now that my husband is in full time classes, we just did not have the ability to pay through the nose to mail in a brand new computer we had already paid through the nose for to see if by some miracle it would be fixed the 5th time.

This man then right out refused to pass me to the next level of customer service and told me that any action he took or that I could take may not do anything. I have never felt so completely disgusted at 'customer service'. Through insisting, which he resisted and resisted, I had him send the case to a different case manager, and guess what? No contact was made!! I was beaten and completely wanted to just give up and buy a new laptop, but it felt wrong to let any company get away with treating their 'valued customers' that way.

Maybe their products are good (usually) but I will NEVER buy Lenovo again because their customer service is deplorable. I was defeated and felt like this was their strategy so that they could get out of providing service to their customers. Lucky for me, as a last-ditch effort, I decided to try contacting the company we bought it from who must have a bit more leeway than me, and our story somehow ended happily. I guess Lenovo cares about keeping peace with them. Just not their little customers.

Lenovo has held my computer hostage for nearly a month. I call to find out when I can get a working computer, after two hours, I still have no idea. They act like you are inconveniencing them by calling, or emailing one of their customer service managers, Amy **. Her response on my request to overnight a computer by the end of the day was, "we don't do that. Sorry. I was out of the office yesterday."

My computer is only 100 days old and does not load for Hrs. Call tech support and does round and round with diagnose which takes 45 minutes every time. Made service request and followed with many no response yet.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Lenovo is a Chinese multinational technology and computer company with headquarters in Beijing and in Morrisville, N.C. Lenovo is a leading designer of personal computers, laptops, tablets, work stations, electronic storage devices, smartphones and more. It was founded in 1984.

• ThinkCentre desktops: Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops are designed with enterprises in mind. ThinkCentre computers are ideal for running business programs.
  • Lenovo H series: Lenovo’s H series of desktops is its line of home desktops. These computers are equipped to handle most casual and home office needs.
  • Lenovo Thinkpad: The Lenovo Thinkpad is Lenovo’s dependable, durable line of laptops. Lenovo offers several different models, including the Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 laptop that can be used a laptop or tablet.
  • Lenovo Ideapad: Lenovo Ideapad laptops are designed for multimedia performance, including Y-series laptops optimized for gaming.
  • Y-Series gaming: Lenovo’s Y Series of gaming desktops offer peak computer power for high-quality graphics and performance.
  • Best for Lenovo computers are best for casual users, businesses, home offices and gamers.

Compare Computer Brands