Lenovo

Compare Computer Brands

Research top Computer Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered a Lenovo laptop (ThinkPad Yoga X1) for my family as a Christmas present on December 11, 2016. I regularly purchase Lenovo products for my business and this new machine was replacing my wife's old Lenovo at home. The computer arrived a couple of days ahead of December 25, 2016 so timing was as promised.

I tried to set-up the computer and installed software ordered through Lenovo on December 26, 2016. Unfortunately, I was unable to activate Microsoft Office 365, which was also purchased through Lenovo and came pre-installed. After telephone conversations and chat exchanges with Derrick, Tina, Raymond, Souad, Emily, and several other customer service representatives, and promises to call or email me with a Microsoft product, I finally gave-up and told Lenovo I want to return their machine.

It is disappointing to experience how apathetic Lenovo is toward any customer, but particularly a customer who has spent many thousands of dollars purchasing their computers over the last couple of years. Customer service personnel are always very polite but the excuses wear thin quickly and they do not know what they are talking about nor have any solutions.

Add to the product failure... ridiculous wait times, extended customer service holidays, chat room links that do not work, email bounce-backs, automated call-back requests that are never returned, broken promises about returning calls, and other problems... How is Lenovo still in business? I asked for RA instructions and was told that my software add-ons would not be refunded because I downloaded them already. Yes, they were downloaded on to a machine that doesn't work and is being returned!

How am I benefiting from those software purchases in any way? So now we are arguing over what the refund amount should be. I spoke with Mia a few minutes ago and she confirmed that I will be refunded the full purchase price so I am thankful to her for that, but it has been a battle that just wasn't necessary. My company will never purchase another Lenovo product and I will go buy a HP or Dell or some other brand to replace the old Lenovo, all because Lenovo didn't think it was important enough to stand behind what they advertise and sell. It's just unfortunate if not disgraceful.

It just keeps working and working, and was a bargain when I bought it, and still is extremely fast. Buy a like new used Lenovo T60s laptop is plenty fast. IBM ThinkPad on eBay for less than $100. Had mine for 10 yrs.

Bought a Yoga laptop, big mistake!!! It has never worked properly. Sent back to Lenovo twice to be fixed, waited 4 months for a part replacement, spent days and hours trying to speak to a person at customer support, sent to local repair centers 5 times, still broken and now out of warranty. ** product.

This is the worst customer service I ever encountered in my lifetime. After waiting for 45 minutes the agent did not even speak the language I chose. She was rude by proposing to me to cancel the order. Have been waiting for over 6 weeks for an order and she said to me maybe by end of month with no guarantee.

Unbelievable. They deserve negative 5 stars. Zero is too high.

I purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop in October 2016. After receiving the laptop, I separately purchased Microsoft Home and Business from OfficeMedia. I was unable to load it because Lenovo had preloaded software preventing it. I finally returned the OfficeMedia software, purchased the same from Lenovo for $60 more than OfficeMedia. After several weeks, customer service told me Lenovo had oversold the software, would send it to me, but could not provide a target date.

Afterwards, I called customer service a few times to check on the timing for sending the software. Still no progress. On December 8, 2016, I asked customer service to provide shipping labels for me to return the laptop, and receive reimbursement for both the laptop and software. After checking with management, they approved and would call me with instructions. After a few days I called back and was told they would 'mail' shipping labels. Nothing again. I've called customer service on several occasions--long wait times, call backs hours later, disconnects each time I was put on hold, then you start all over again. I've talked to 4 customer service representatives. The Lenovo customer service is the worst I've ever experienced in my 60 years of life. I hope this email is read by anyone who is doing their due diligence and avoids the difficulties I've experienced. It looks like I'm out $980 for nothing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lenovo?

I had my Lenovo "ThinkCentre" Tower PC custom built so components would be high end and completely compatible. Lenovo once supplied the hardware for IBM, eventually breaking off to create their own hardware brand. The tower has worked beautifully for two years. Very adaptable architecture allowing space and accommodating newer technologies like solid state drives and adapters.

Came stock with oversized "PULL" rear fan, and a powerful rear "EXHAUST" fan. Together, the air inside the tower is constantly refreshed and there is far less to clean when I take the case apart to maintain. One side has a lock which allows the entire side panel to fall simply to one side allowing access to entire interior. Everything is very accessible, bays, wiring ganglia, and smartly designed bays in rear which click into place without screws. Good looking black box with card reader default in front, plenty of extra USB ports, audio and video ports to allow connecting with newest and older technology.

Most importantly I don't see Lenovo electronics having the issues HP, Acer, and, most recently, Toshiba still seem to be suffering and perhaps more frequently. Simply less downtime, with Lenovo outperforming other brands and offering great "VALUE". This goes for Lenovo ThinkPads (laptops), the Yoga brand interactive screen giving Microsoft's Surface Flip "laptops" a run for money as well. They keep on working with less "issues", and for this reason I see ThinkPads being offered at BestBuy and other retail giants like Costco and Walmart.

I totally love my Lenovo desktop. I really love this PC. It is fast, reliable, user-friendly, and was reasonably equipped and priced. I have never had any problems with it. If Lenovo keeps this up, I will likely be a customer for like... or at least until they stop making big desktops. My wife has a new desktop by another manufacturer and has nothing but problems.

Lenovo 80jt. Got as Christmas present, used it on 28th and 29th December, shut down laptop on 30th around 3am. At 8.30am, restarted laptop and screen is damaged, took it back to shop where it was bought and contacted Lenovo support and both have said that I have physically damaged it. Where do I stand when I know I have done nothing wrong. :(

It's a great machine, but a few things hold it back from perfection. My Lenovo Y500 is a great laptop, though it's components like the headphone jack and onboard microphone are garbage. If those components could be improved it'd be a perfect machine.

Laptop has one design flaw, but is made well. Self diagnostic software has a mind of its own without user options. The placement of the power/sleep button on the front/left side corner is horrible. I frequently press it by accident when moving or lifting the laptop. The case is well constructed and durable. The self-diagnostic software is horrible in that it is not user configurable. It starts on its own, and pretty much hogs the processor & drive so that doing anything else is not feasible.

This win 10 desktop computer has had numerous operating system problems which Lenovo customer support was unable to solve. Lenovo has a good selection of systems. Customer support has been hit good or miss useless. Lenovo was IBM before it was bought by the Chinese. Overall it is good system for the money. Two out of three times Customer Support was from useless to clueless. Once I did get US Customer Support and they were helpful. My new desktop still takes 10 minutes to boot and has ongoing issues which customer support can't figure out. Lenovo does offer on site warranty repair if the computer mechanically breaks.

I bought a brand new Lenovo desktop with two dongles. When one of the dongles was with open box failure, they sent me a wrong replacement. I tried to contact Lenovo and was pushed around from Lenovo, Canada to Lenovo, US, and to Lenovo Sales. Why asks customer to make so many phone calls? Can anyone in Service Department take responsibility? It seems that nobody at Lenovo wants to be responsive. I already made 5 phone calls, the issue is not resolved.

I have been offered a replacement Tablet, by Marcus ** Case Manager for the Lenovo Customer Care team from Morrisville, North Carolina ph: ** but when I asked questions I got no response. That's GREAT CUSTOMER CARE! I did send a couple emails, one in particular that stated to please go ahead and that I have to have them by Friday as I am leaving on vacation and need them for the trip, and to please call me to verify that I will get them on time. I don't know why Lenovo can't get back to people with replies. It's common courtesy. I even called and left you two messages. Now I am just plain old getting irritated at the lack of customer support, and respect!!!

I called tech support on Dec 5, after I received the first shipping box, I asked many questions regarding how long it will take, and that I needed all 3 devices back no later than Dec 23. I was told that as long as they had 7 business days, that I would get them back in time. All the tablets were received at the repair facility on Dec 8, 7 business days from that date was Dec 19. I received 1 tablet back on Dec 12, so I thought oh yeah, the rest will follow in a day or two. Nope! No phone call from Lenovo, to tell me that the parts for the other two tablets were on back order till Dec 30, even though I was told the account was noted as such. I only found out this info because I called Lenovo to find out where my tablets were. I was advised on Monday Dec 19 that my case was being expedited and someone from customer care would be calling me in 24-48 hrs.

I explained again that I need these tablets by Friday Dec 23. They said "don't worry someone will call you". NO CALL. Got an email from you today, after repeatedly asking you to call me and verify that I will have the devices by Friday, I got a response of "how do you want to proceed?" Why couldn't you just say "we are overnighting the 2 devices to you, here is the tracking number." This has been my worst experience yet, and ok too if that I am going to have 2 out of the 5 kids without devices for their 24 hr drive, for Christmas! Thanks a lot Lenovo.

I consider the Lenovo the best computer I have ever used. I bought it from Best Buy. They are fantastic if you get a good salesman. Their Geek Squad really do a good job. I realize this is not so much about the computer as about Best Buy, but when I got over 900 pieces of malware and SCREWED royally online, the best computer in the world would not have been any better. The Lenovo has done everything I had a right to expect of it. I did not buy the top model because I was not interested in gaming.

I don't usually leave negative reviews, but in this case, I believe the company has earned this review and I want others to know so they can avoid this experience. I am self-employed and I don't make a lot of money, so I saved up for a new laptop that could handle photoshop. I purchased a Lenovo because I love their Thinkpad set-up. I paid extra for more RAM, a bigger hard drive and a higher resolution screen, plus other things like a back lit keyboard, extra battery life, etc. All in all, I spent about $1400. Straight out of the box, the computer didn't work properly; programs would crash, it wouldn't always turn on, etc.

I contacted Lenovo, which was an ordeal in itself, and they had me ship the computer back to them for repairs. I did this twice. The second time, after 2 months and continual non-information when I called, I finally got angry enough to demand answers. The upper-level person I talked to told me the part that was bad was the motherboard (pretty much the computer itself was bad) and they don't make that part anymore. So, they were waiting for a part they don't make and just holding on to my computer in the meantime. I'm dead serious, about this.

The person asked if I wanted to escalate my case so I could talk to talk to someone about a replacement. Really? They should have escalated the case for me! Well, it just gets worse from here. It seems the higher up you go into their customer service, the worse the customer service gets. The manager assigned to my case shipped me a replacement, but it was my original model without the hundreds of dollars of upgrades I paid for. I of course, asked for those upgrades or a partial refund. They told me they couldn't do the upgrades because they don't make that computer anymore nor could they refund me anything. Then they closed my case (By the way, this sounds like it all happened quickly, but it was spread out of over weeks. The manager would not respond to my phone calls or emails during this time, either).

I opened a new case. This time I got hold of someone who helped me a little bit more, at least in the beginning. They exchanged the computer I was sent for one more comparable to the one I originally purchased, though I still didn't get all of the upgrades I had paid for. They told me they'd pay for an external CD burner since the new computer didn't come with one, but never reimbursed me.

These people are impossible to reach. They don't care at all about the consumer and I honestly don't know how they are still in business with such horrific customer service! It took me almost a year to get the computer I have now, which recently started having programs crash. The same as the original one I had. :( The thought of having to go through this all over again, makes me want to curl up in the fetal position and cry myself to sleep. So, if you are considering a Lenovo product, I highly advise you to DO NOT go through with it! My first computer was a Lenovo and it had issues. I always thought I just got a lemon, but now I realize they are just a terrible company. I will never buy a Lenovo product again.

I have very bad experience on Lenovo Support & services as my laptop got burnt while I was working on the laptop even after one week of the delivery. I want replacement from Lenovo but they just replace the motherboard. After 3 month the same laptop has HDD issue but the Vendor engineer was not agreed on that in first attempt. Now the same laptop has screen issue and vendor is saying that it is physically damaged. Their engineer has mentioned in the report that no physical damage is seen but even after that they are stick to their decision. Within 6 month I got three major issue in the laptop and they took around 15 days to close one complaint.

Lenovo's customer service in Atlanta, GA - one word - horrendous. I have been hung up on repeatedly after requesting to speak with managers in attempts to fix my Lenovo ThinkPad T450. I was told there were no managers on site to assist. Moreover, I expressed my concerns with their corporate office and I have yet to have my problem fixed. I even paid extra for express service warranty and accidental damage. Not the service I expected for my $1700.00 purchase. Two thumbs down for service. I would not recommend Lenovo products solely based on their customer service alone.

I got my tablet because it was affordable. Now I hate it. It kicks me off of my games and doesn't save anything. It freezes up to 3 times a day. I will never buy anything Lenovo again!!!

I like the brand but it still has some kinks & it's overpriced. I had to wait to get mine until the store had it on sale. I would recommend Lenovo to others. I hate Windows 10 & would have preferred a model that didn't have Windows 10.

My hard disk died after owning machine for less than 16 months. Customer service was a big ball of tangled yarn. Very dissatisfied that when I did get a hold of a tech support, I was disconnected after support person explained that the laptop will eventually be worthless once hard disk dies. Big Box store was also not helpful (and a little judgmental) when I explained that a $369 laptop should not die after 16 months...even though they told me it was a quality machine for the low price when I bought it. I would have spent more money happily if I knew that this would happen. I asked the sales person why they sold it to me if it is so cheap and why he felt that I got what I paid for... Really?! Maybe they should not sell/recommend cheap laptops.

I purchased a laptop online on the Lenovo website. I kept track of it on the UPS website & after a couple of days realized that it said it was delivered in NC... I live in NY. I called UPS to find out why & they told me that Lenovo themselves changed the delivery! I tried several times a DAY to contact them because my laptop was delivered to the wrong state... I even looked for a corporate number and emailed them as well. The one time I got contact with a live person the call was "lost". I had to call my bank to dispute my $850 charge for a laptop I never received. They are currently still investigating as this just happened to me this week. I am so pissed & disappointed that I will NEVER buy a Lenovo product and let everyone else know to stay away as well!

Great price and build quality, the warranty is non-existence because the laptop will die after the warranty period anyway. Overall good quality, I do wish their Customer Support was more like Dell and ease of return within the 30 day period if needed be.

We had to send in my 12 yr old son's school computer which he must have as all of his school work is online, and we were given a 7-10 day repair and return window. Then we were told that the part was back ordered and it would take another couple of weeks. Over two months later we finally received it back! Now we had sent it in strictly for hardware service, a cracked screen, a broken camera, and some broken ports (the computer had been dropped), however when we received it back several unwanted software programs and malware had been installed on it! My son would be trying to work and he'd have pop-ups we couldn't control or shut off, cut him off and other similar problems.

Now the only things the company was supposed to have worked on was the hardware, which they did not even completely fix. The camera is still broken, and now I have to pay $100 out of pocket a few months later to fix the charger and charging port, or send it back in to Lenovo as it is still under warranty. However am afraid to do so as last time we could not get it back. The thing that really makes me angry about all of this is that I called and spoke to a "customer service" rep, which was difficult to get to in the first place, and he "slipped up", and told me that my son's computer repairs had been completed in January, and we did not get the computer back until March! And it came back with all the software problems on it when all they were supposed to touch was the hardware.

It was pretty obvious that someone had taken it home and was using it for personal use when it was supposedly in for "repairs"! I am extremely upset about this! I will never ever purchase anything from Lenovo again, and I would suggest that no one should! They are the worst company to work with when you are trying to get assistance, even if you have a warranty, and they are obviously fraudulent! After I informed the rep of this, he tried to turn the blame on me by asking me "well, why did you wait so long to call?", instead of addressing the problem and trying to fix it, or even apologizing. He simply told me to wipe the computer myself. And that was it!

After searching the Lenovo site I found that they do not have a customer complaint page either. They title one with that but it's really just a frequently asked question page, with the same questions repeated over and over. This company is beyond shameful! They set up fake pages so you cannot publicly voice any complaint with them which shows me that they think we are too stupid to catch on, (or privately for that matter). They blame the customer to try to cover up wrongdoing on their own part. They take your personal property and allow someone to use it while lying to you about repairing it and they do not hold themselves accountable in any way. Then they send back a still damaged product after repairs should have been complete.

I had to take my son's computer and pay $80 buck already to get tons of viruses off after we got it back, which were not on it before we sent it! I also found out that Lenovo is a Chinese company, so I guess this kind of treatment is typical and it makes sense now why this computer and their service is complete garbage! DON'T BUY LENOVO!!! You WILL regret it!!! Angry Mom.

Lenovo Canada Service - They promise shipping in 5 to 7 business days but then 7 days later the estimated ship date gets extended by a month. Then... try to contact them via phone, email, web chat, and it's impossible. Extremely poor customer service... so don't be a customer.

I have recently ordered Lenovo flex 4 14' in Thanksgiving deal. They have raised an invoice mail that the order is success. But I don't know why in next 1 hr I got a mail saying "Your order is cancelled." I have spoke to the customer service agent regarding this and I got a mail saying that order is success. But the next day I got a mail saying "Your order is cancelled." again. This is the first time for experiencing such a worst case regarding a product service. I waited for 2 weeks for that deal and they played with me for 2 times that the order was success and again it was cancelled. Also, I have ordered one more laptop on BF deals Thinkpad E 570. It has to be shipped by Dec 6th but I got a mail saying it will take 1 more month for shipment.

The customer assistance did not tell me the laptop came with anti-virus. Instead he sold me one for $300.00 so the laptop was $1100.00. By the time I purchased Word and anti-virus I paid $2,000.00. This particular brand is too slow starting and too slow closing. I would like to take it back and exchange it.

I find this laptop to be reliable and good for my purposes. Any problems I have had is with the software rather than the hardware. I bought this Lenovo laptop at Best Buy in January 2014. The only problem I have really had is with the letters being worn off the keyboard. But then, this might be due to my nails. All in all, being a senior, it works well for me.

Hi, I had ordered 1 Lenovo IdeaPad 510s 14" - Silver. After 2 hours of ordering, I canceled the order. But they do not cancel the order and said they receive my cancellation order after shipping. That totally lies as I know that after tracking. And then Tracking was showing that package delivered to the wrong address. I tried to call Lenovo customer service but they are unreachable. There is no option to communicate with Lenovo via email. I chat with Lenovo representative and they suggest me to call customer service. I replied I already did that but they say they have nothing to do. I am really disappointed. It's $593 order and it is a big amount for me. Could anyone please suggest that how I can file a complaint against LENOVO!... They are really bad!

I bought a yoga 10 and 2 weeks after warranty it just stopped working. After sending it back it got fixed under warranty. The invoice said that if the same thing happened within 90 days they would fix it free of charge again. Well after about 5 attempts of getting it picked up by the ridiculous way they insist on doing that, and after countless phone calls, hours wasted, I was told it would cost over $1,000 to fix (I had a crack at the top of the screen which didn't bother them the first time they fixed it, but was now told that needed to be fixed before they actually repair what was wrong). The machine only cost me $300!!! Department of fair trading involved yada, yada, yada, I WILL NEVER BUY A LENOVO PRODUCT AGAIN!!! Just peeved that I recommended the same product to my brother and needless to say, his died around warranty time too and was told it would cost around the same to fix it. Bottom line, DO NOT BUY LENOVO!!!

My first experience with Lenovo customer support has actually been a nightmare! I have buyers remorse. I purchased a Lenovo P710 with Adobe and Microsoft Office Package which Lenovo overlooked when building the PC and forgot to ship to me which is nothing more than a simple oversight on their part. This should have been an easy fix by logging onto my PC and activating Adobe and Microsoft Office or overnighting me an activation card. I contacted the Lenovo customer service department and the representative agreed that I did purchase the software packages and did not receive them. However, he could not resolve my issue because the value of the software package was over $200.00 and he was not authorized to activate or ship product over that dollar amount and would need to get it approved by a supervisor. He told me it would take no longer than 24 hours.

Well, 24 hours have come and gone and here we are three days later. I have had several phone conversations and emails with Lenovo and they have yet to resolve my very simple issues. Each representative I have spoken to agreed that I have purchased the software and did not receive it. At this point, I feel I should have purchased another Dell. I have never had an issue with Dell that was not resolved with one phone call. I have had motherboards and hard drives replaced by Dell in less time than this.

I cannot imagine how Lenovo would handle a more complex issue like that if they cant resolve a simple order processing oversight. So, at this point I have zero confidence in Lenovo's ability to provide quality customer support or believe that they actually care about their customers satisfaction. Based on my experience thus far, the next computer I will be purchasing will be another Dell. I would strongly recommend Dell to any one asking for my opinion. For any Lenovo representative, here is the case number if you are interested in resolving this issue **. My next step is to contact American Express and file dispute regarding this order until the issue is resolved or they send a call tag to pick up the computer so I can move forward and purchase with Dell.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Lenovo is a Chinese multinational technology and computer company with headquarters in Beijing and in Morrisville, N.C. Lenovo is a leading designer of personal computers, laptops, tablets, work stations, electronic storage devices, smartphones and more. It was founded in 1984.

• ThinkCentre desktops: Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops are designed with enterprises in mind. ThinkCentre computers are ideal for running business programs.
  • Lenovo H series: Lenovo’s H series of desktops is its line of home desktops. These computers are equipped to handle most casual and home office needs.
  • Lenovo Thinkpad: The Lenovo Thinkpad is Lenovo’s dependable, durable line of laptops. Lenovo offers several different models, including the Lenovo Yoga 2-in-1 laptop that can be used a laptop or tablet.
  • Lenovo Ideapad: Lenovo Ideapad laptops are designed for multimedia performance, including Y-series laptops optimized for gaming.
  • Y-Series gaming: Lenovo’s Y Series of gaming desktops offer peak computer power for high-quality graphics and performance.
  • Best for Lenovo computers are best for casual users, businesses, home offices and gamers.

Compare Computer Brands