LaCie External Drives

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have a 5Big Network 2 NAS drive. It has been working good throughout the years. Last year I had 4 of the 5 drives went bad. I replaced them with the same Seagate 2 TB drives. The last drive went bad and then I replaced it and then the RAID would not start up again. I called support at LaCie and they were friendly but they told me that the software that is needed to boot up the RAID drive is in the disc. So if your drives go bad you are out of luck. It is out of warranty now and like the guy told me I now have a big paperweight. I spent over $1300 for this drive and it lasted 5 years. I can't get it going now because I can't get a drive from LaCie with the needed software on it.

Lacie is built to fail. I was out of warranty by the time. I called to deal with a failure like this and they told me that drives only last 3 years. Yikes! Don't buy Lacie.

I went to LaCie technical support because I had 600 GB of storage used but unaccounted for that I needed help with recovery on. This all comes from a Norton backup gone bad (that is another horror story). I had made 2 backups to a LaCie 1 TB external drive. I needed those backups because the machine they were made on crashed hard. But when I tried to access them, the only file available was 200 GB. That was weird since the drive said it had 832 GB of data on it! Where was the other 600 GB?

After jumping through all the preliminary hoops, TS told me to reformat the hard drive and everything should be ok again. What? Are you kidding me???? Wipe out permanently any chance of recovering some desperately needed data? Well I won't follow their advice but neither will I buy their product if that is their idea of customer support. Good news. I can pay $400 to have them look if getting data is possible, but no promises or guarantees of any sort.

I'm quite annoyed to find out that I could've saved money by purchasing from Asia instead of Australia. I asked if you will post to Malaysia and you said no instead of directing me to the Asian website. Was that all so that you could make the commission? The person who gave me this misleading information was Camille **. Please find out why she did not direct me to the Asian website?

The LaCie 4TB NAS hard-drive does not work as advertised. You cannot access it from the Internet and It cannot update its operating system by itself. Their tech support is terrible, totally unacceptable. You do not know this until you need them. You do not know this before you buy the drive. I spent about 12 days interacting with different tech support people. They change one person once a day or once every two days. If you want one point of contact, you have to pay extra. Once they accept that there is a defect in the drive, it will take another 20 days to get it back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lacie?

I bought LaCie 5big network on the June 22nd 2010 with a three-year warranty.

I have very little doubt that this device is good. I have been constantly griping to LaCie support about its ability to work with macs, security, shared folders, time machine etc. Finally, I just gave up and managed to get the device to work with time machine; so all the things I had planned for it had to be scrapped and I just use it as a monstrous back device. Now, I have 4 lion macs and I'm told that there are no plans to get this device to support lion.

I just can't get over on how appalling this company is to deal with and how bad the quality of their product is.

My LaCie Rugged eSATA 1 terabyte external hard drive stopped working, did not show up at all on my computer. After 6 months, it is still under a 2-year warranty. I called to request a replacement. LaCie opened a ticket number and referred me to their website. At the website, John told me we would have to troubleshoot it to figure out if it was actually broken. After a week of back and forth aggravation with this, they concluded something was wrong with it and said I could mail it back, which I paid for, and they would fix it. I received it back approximately 1 week later. I had to call to find out what was wrong with it. They told me it was the power supply.

They included another one when I received it back. I have since hooked it up and tried it, and still I get no response from it. It is broken and does not show up on my computer. I have called and spoke with Rob and told them I have plugged it into 3 separate computers. I fully know how to work it, and it does not show up or work. Now they want me to pay $15.00 to have their technical support team go over it with me again. “Absolutely not,” I told them. This constitutes a warranty. Well, I am out of one broken hard drive at a cost near or about $130.00, and the S&H of approximately $12.00, and a wasted time and effort of a few good hours.

LaCies are a terrible backup. They have a 3 year warranty and after a year or so, there is nothing but problems. This is a known issue, especially with the power supply. The hard drive totally died after about a year. I had to send it back on my dime, not to mention it's a toll call, so you have to use your cell to call.

Now the unit, after being returned a month or so, caused my iMac to have a black screen. I unplugged the LaCie and now my iMac is working perfectly. Apple support was closed so I submitted a ticket. Now I have no back up, yet again. The LaCie is actually just a cover for a Western Digital or another back up drive. It is not a back up in itself. They also offered a free year of Carbonite (which doesn't work with a Mac anyway). The only way to find out was to visit their site. Registered customers should have been emailed! When I get the power supply back, again having to pay postage, I will not use it. In fact, I will ask for a refund. Good luck with that! My suggestion is to stay far, far away from this company! They are a total epic fail.

I'm United States Air Force stationed in Japan and purchased an 1TB LaCie Ethernet Big Disk external hard drive to store family photo's and video. In June the external crashed and I lost all my family photo's and video that were stored on it. It's was still under warranty and I have been trying to get the company to fix or replace the drive.

I'm still trrying to get support and now the company has just stopped answering my support tickets. I'm still waiting...

I submitted this request 11 days ago...my problem has been ongoing since June. I still don't have the stand therefore I cannot even test to see if my product is working. What is the problem?... I lost a lot of family data stored on that drive but the hardest thing to deal with is the fact that nobody seems to care how long this problem has been going on and the problem is still not resolved. Being stationed on an island in the Pacific makes it hard to even call the company...I'm so frustrated.

I have a complaint about the warranty offered on all LaCie Hard drives - External/NAS etc. The company offers a 3 year warranty on these devices though i believe this to be misrepresentation as if a device fails within warranty the company will not recover the data on the device. This has to be done by a 3rd Party company (which they recommend) and in doing so you void the device warranty. This recovery would be required in all cases thus making the warranty pointless apart from cases where you expect the device to fail & make a constant backup of your data. This would suggest the devices are not fit for purpose.

Computer hard drive. Paid $800 for it in November 2005. Didnt use it at all for about 11 months as I had bought it to use with some software that I never got around to installing. Hooked it up to computer in October 2005 anyway. Did not work, reported it to company. They suggested some things to try. Got it to work briefly; then gave up. Now it crashing computer and does not work at all. Company says tuff luck, now that it is January 2007 and one month beyond warranty (13 months)-- even though problem was first reported within warranty period.

LaCie External Drives Company Profile