Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Intuit - TurboTax
3.41/5
Based on 1,875 ratings submitted in the last year

Intuit - TurboTax

2879 Intuit - TurboTax Consumer Reviews

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

As a 24 year old, I've never filed outside of TurboTax, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing (upfront disclaimer). But I've been using TT for about 5 years now and I've never had an issue - you get what you pay for IMO. It's easy, I can sip a glass of wine, punch in a few numbers, click, click and I'm done. My refunds are always pretty legit and I opt for the premium package that comes with an audit representative so if ** goes down months from now I know an actual non-bot human being has me covered. A lot of people complain about the service, but I think if you only have a few means of income, full time worker, standard 401k and health insurance, TT is best. Once your taxes start getting complicated, ie investments, Medicare, pensions, retirement -- I'd say go to H&R Block. But for the Young Professional, you can't beat it. BTW, this is for the online portal, not the software download (because WHY).

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I wanted to share my experience with TurboTax Self Employed. I had a terrible experience with HR Block, so I wanted to do my own tax this year and understand it better. I opted to get Self Employed TurboTax to get help from tax expert (since this is the first year I am using it). It's cheaper than HR Block, tax consultant is friendlier and way more knowledgeable! Plus everything went fast, I have a better understanding of my taxes now, compared to HR Block consultant who doesn't seem to like answering my questions. If you're like me married filing jointly, with full-time W4 income + part time Independent Contractor best way is to understand your tax more get TurboTax. Next year I will definitely use them again, did our taxes Feb 5, received our refund Feb 14! Way faster, didn't have a problem.

Get expert buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Most of the issues I have read is simply a matter of reading what is purchased. The FREE version states specifically for simple returns, ie; W-2 1040! As far as downloads go, if you have issues they say to call, which I have, I cleared cookies from my browser and perfect! If you don't have access to last year's returns you have used the FREE Version which does not include access to prior years. And TurboTax doesn't add numbers in categories that are not based on the users entries. Just click review and look at your return. It is the responsibility of the user to check your return.

If you need help you can purchase, at a very reasonable price I might add, the Tax Expert preparation and review feature which comes with a guarantee. The purchase price of the use of the software is a product, not a privilege, you pay for their systems to intuitively help you file your taxes. The filing fee is expected because it's a Service offered. And finally, if you need help with outside the box issues live support is a phone call away. All comes with TurboTax money back guarantee. So if you don't want to pay filing fees print and mail, don't cost a dime. Efile is faster and is why you purchase. Maybe read first what you purchase and don't assume!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have used the online Deluxe version of TurboTax to file my state and federal returns for the past three years. I plan to use them again this year. My concern is that for a short form I think it should be simpler or the company should give better support without charging much more. My fee is around eighty dollars. The next service is full support with a live agent. I should not have to worry about looking up publications etc. when paying this much for the short form filing. Other than that I would recommend them. You get to keep your privacy and they say they check it over before it is sent. I can say this, though. If they raise the price much more I will have to look elsewhere.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

CALL THEM +1-833-272_O777. I received a notice of audit from MA Dept of Revenue because of a computer malfunction. All of the inputs were correct as can be verified with my federal taxes and W-2s, the transfer was incorrect and can be proven. The response I received from the 1st representative was that I was not listening to her explain to me that the letter was probably due to an incorrect report of taxes. I stated that on the phone call and had to explain multiple times what was happening and that the state was right. I had to dig through the 2015 tax return to find what had happened to begin with. The 2nd person I had to explain the 2nd time, but she listened to what I was saying and got me to someone to help. The 3rd person, Kim **, asked me how I didn’t notice the mistake in the taxes that is a clear computer glitch; to which I informed her that this was my 1st year filing taxes solely for MA as I had a 2 state tax return the year before.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

I used Turbo Tax 2017 to file a joint tax return for my wife and I. The IRS sent me a CP2000 notice questioning why I did not report some mutual fund sales which I had properly input to the tax program. The problem is the IRS cannot match up the information in the the generated tax forms with the information reported by the mutual funds. I called Turbo Tax support for help in resolving the problem. The agent did not really understand the problem and gave me ineffective advice. I asked to talk to a supervisor to get better help. I was made to wait 15 min and then told the manager refused the call. I feel the problem was caused by the way the tax program filled out the forms. I received no effective help and was essentially told to go away. BAD SUPPORT!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I filed my taxes like a good girl in April 2019. Turbo Tax was paid over $100 to do my working class poor tax returns. Oh good, I am getting a refund $295 from the State. Then the State sends me a notice for me to send my W2 which I did early May. Waiting, waiting waiting. I really can use that money that refund. Oops! State of Oregon states I made an error in my return and the amount was "DOUBLED" on the withholding. How did that happen?

I call Turbo Tax and their accountant reviews both Federal and State returns; confirms I did everything right. Now I have to file accuracy claim. August 2019: Accuracy claim denied stating, "I know it can be frustrating to owe money…" I emailed asking for an appeal. Since now I have received a $600+ bill from the State with interest and penalties and a record of this error looking like it was my fault. Turbo Tax completely ignored my email asking for an appeal.

Now August 21, 2019, I called Turbo Tax customer service. They have no chain of command. Maybe I will get a return call. I was referred to OfficeofthePresidentvoiceofthecustomer@intuit.com to register "my concerns". That link goes right to the main web page. I will be asking for not only interest and penalties. I will be asking for a refund of the money I spent to file, time and duress that this has cost me. Thank you for reading. I am writing to help the working folks get what they paid for.

Original review: July 5, 2019

2015 and 16 audited by IRS and cost me $103,000. 2017 and 18 audited by IRS and will probably cost me another $100,000. The problem I have with TurboTax is their software. How they are able to qualify my business as a ongoing concern when the IRS feels different and the Audit Defense I bought for 2017 and 18 is worthless. The IRS is in charge and if you fight then it only invites more trouble. Better off to have taxes done by a professional who will not only see that it’s done right but also represent you properly if you’re audited.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I did my 2015 and 2016 returns with TurboTax and are now facing 25K in penalties, and interest from the IRS and my State revenue tax dept. I just getting the letters now from both state and federal authorities. Bottom line this is the absolute worst tax filing product on the market. I have talked to several colleagues and they have had the same type of issues.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I filed my 2018 1040 taxes and owed a lot of money and needed to do a installment plan. when I downloaded vouchers for the year 2018, I got one voucher for the full amount, the other vouchers were for the ESTIMATED YEAR 2020. Without knowing what the hell 1040es means I mailed the voucher off and it was applied to the 2020. Now I'm totally screwed because I've paid for a year in advance and still have to pay for 2018 IN FULL. TURBOTAX really screwed me up. I'll NEVER USE THIS AGAIN IN LIFE, and of course no one can help apply those payments to the year 2018. THANKS AGAIN TURBOTAX.

Intuit expert review by Melissa Hincha-Ownby

TurboTax is one of Intuit's many financial services products. Intuit, which was founded in 1983, has kept TurboTax at the top of the tax software industry. In 2013, more than 26 million taxpayers across the nation used a TurboTax service.

• Portability: Intuit’s TurboTax software is available on a variety of platforms including web-based, local software installations and even a dedicated iPad app.

• Expert advice: TurboTax customers can chat live with a tax expert at no extra charge.

• Business support: A Business version is available for use by multi-member LLCs, partnerships, S corporations, C corporations, and estates and trusts.

• Review: Intuit removed the option to have a return reviewed by a Certified Public Accountant, a benefit that set it apart from competitors.

• Customer service: Contacting customer service by phone is challenging; the TurboTax website requires customers to use a web form to provide contact information and view online help before releasing a phone number.

• Best for: Sole Proprietors, Small Business Owners, Taxpayers with Special Situations

Profile picture of Melissa Hincha-Ownby
Melissa Hincha-Ownby Tax Software Contributing Editor

Melissa Hincha-Ownby is a freelance writer who finds joy in doing her taxes, testing new tax software programs and sharing her experiences with others.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information