Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.14/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

BOTTOM LINE

TurboTax is an online tax prep and filing software with plans for every tax bracket. It has a 100% accuracy guarantee and promises to help you get the fastest refund possible.

PROS

• Does all the math for you
  • Spanish-speaking services available
  • Tax services for every situation

CONS

• Misuse may create incorrect returns

Top Intuit - TurboTax Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Been using TurboTax for many years and love it. It is exceptionally thorough and that is GOOD. Never ever had an issue from IRS on my returns. It has so many wonderful features that help ensure you don't miss anything.

Well developed software app by reputable Quicken leads me to trust the tax legality & app reliability. ... I was able to file with confidence that my return was correct. Price is very reasonable compared to hiring a tax firm.

How does TurboTax work?

TurboTax coaches you through filing taxes step by step and makes the process simple by centering the process on your lifestyle, not your taxes. Instead of asking about your tax bracket, TurboTax asks about your:

• Job(s)
  • Income
  • Homeowner status
  • Children and dependents
  • Charitable donations

From this information, TurboTax determines what tax bracket you fall in and what forms you need to complete. By filing your returns electronically, TurboTax gets you the fastest refund possible.

TurboTax does all of the math required for your tax forms and guarantees 100% accuracy. Before transmitting your returns, the company uses its CompleteCheck software to run a comprehensive review so nothing gets missed. Once you submit your taxes, TurboTax sends an email confirmation, and you can keep up with filing and tax return progress on the TurboTax app.

TurboTax resources

TurboTax gives taxpayers access to plenty of tax tools and resources on its website, including:

• Self-employed expense estimators
  • Quizzes to help you find out what tax bracket you’re in
  • W-4 withholding calculator
  • ItsDeductible donation tracker

TurboTax offers services in English and Spanish.

How much does TurboTax cost?

TurboTax has four plans with different benefits and services:

• Free plan: If you have a simple tax return, TurboTax doesn't charge you anything to use its services. This plan covers W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit.
  • Deluxe plan ($60): If you opt for the Deluxe plan, TurboTax searches for more than 350 possible tax deductions and credits. This helps you maximize deductions on your mortgage or property taxes.
  • Premier plan ($90): With the Premium plan, TurboTax adds investment income reporting services for taxpayers with stocks, bonds, employee stock purchase plans or other investments. This plan also gives customers one-on-one time with a TurboTax specialist.
  • Self-Employed plan ($120): TurboTax designed the Self-Employed plan for personal and business income and expenses. You get access to a TurboTax specialist who searches for available industry-specific deductions.

TurboTax FAQ

Is TurboTax Online free?
TurboTax Online is free for simple tax returns like W-2 income, earned income tax credit and child tax credit. If your taxes are more complicated, you need to purchase one of TurboTax's other plans.
Does TurboTax get you the best refund?
TurboTax promises to get customers the best refund possible in the shortest amount of time. The software itself isn’t necessary to get the best refunds possible on your tax returns, as taxpayers are entitled to their refund amounts, but the company's software helps ensure you don't miss potential deductions.
Is it worth it to use TurboTax?
TurboTax's services are worth considering if you're a small business owner or a contract worker, as they tend to have the most complex type of taxes. The software is also helpful for people who don't want to file their own taxes but would prefer a cheaper option than hiring a certified public accountant.
Is it safe to use TurboTax Online?
Yes, TurboTax uses fraud prevention and other security measures to keep your personal information safe.

Is TurboTax good?

TurboTax offers multiple levels of tax services, including a free plan for basic tax returns. Its specialized service is an excellent option for small business owners and contract workers. If you're searching for a tax specialist that operates online only, TurboTax's services might be right for you.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: March 25, 2020

There was an error when completing my tax return. I probably spent three hours on the phone with their support trying to figure out why it was not including some information that was entered on the forms. Made a huge difference... initially I was getting $3000 back instead I owed $6000 between state and federal. $40,000 from a stock transfer from a 401 K to a Roth IRA did not show up in income. Fortunately I saw there was an issue and that the program could not be right before I sent it in. They did work with me but it was very tedious and never really figured out why it did not work correctly. We just managed to get the amount to be included. Not sure if anyone else would have a similar problem.

Original review: March 25, 2020

Using Turbo Tax number of years. Some Setbacks, my fault. The assistance of having a live accountant readily available online (chat) or phone call is awesome. Helped me thru all the screw-ups I did. Also with IRS. I wouldn't use other. I have used other and never had this type of assistance. The software and cost of filing is minimal compared to going to others or accountants. It's easy, fast, and returns same week. I pay Federal every year, with a credit card. You pay a fee to use your credit card but even that is minimal.

Get buying tips about Tax Software and Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 22, 2020

The Turbo Tax is very easy to use. If you get stuck the number to call for help is very fast and easy, just answer the personal questions and they can guide you through. Use easy to remember passwords, use easy to remember security questions. Print your forms out at any time. You can even start it up and come back another day to finish up. All your information is saved! Call the IRS number to find out if it went through, the website also has lets you know if you are missing anything. Overall a great way to file taxes without that high dollar charge for most places.

Original review: March 18, 2020

They advertise "free", but nothing is free. You need to pay to file state, and if you used it previously the program will fill in information for you if it is the same as the previous year, but that will cost you in the end also. It's a clever/tricky program, & you can't change your mind for that. Also, be prepared to pay for the services upfront, the cost they charge you for deducting from refund is ridiculous, not worth it. Otherwise, they are up to date with all tax cuts, and ask all the correct questions so you don't miss out.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I have used TurboTax for a long time because Intuit does do a very good job of boiling everything down for you so you can do your taxes yourself. I paid $40 for Federal and $40 for State this year, which is a good deal just to get taxes done, and I know that many people would say, "Man, I wish that was all it cost me to do taxes for a year." My major complaint this year is that it really seemed that every other screen was trying to up-sell me. It felt like each and every time I clicked on something, Intuit was trying to sell me something and that gets tiresome. I can deal with a few of those, but my request is that they dial it back. Other than that, I find the product to be wonderful.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Due to the Covid-19 disaster, I filed my original 2019 by the "normal" tax filing deadline of April 15, 2020. I then attempted to update the information and was charged a fee of $120.00 plus tax for a return that would obviously be rejected. Come to find out, the IRS does not allow the e-file of an amended return (1040-X). When I attempted to get support and request a refund, I got neither. Not only did I have to do the entire return on my own and mail it in to the IRS, but Turbotax Support/Customer Service indicated I was not eligible for a refund to the e-file costs charged when I update the information and as is predictable, the IRS rejected the amended return.

I went through several hoops to address the issue online with Turbotax. In addition, I used the Virtual Assistant option and requested a phone call that never came. I have never experienced this type of issue with Turbotax before, however will NEVER USE THEM in the future! Their e-file system should have flagged the issue prior to accepting payment for an e-file of amended return as the same login information was used and the same account both times. Had the system been designed properly, they system should not have accepted payment for a return for a tax year that had already been accept months before. I expected better quality protection. In the future, I will NOT ever use Turbotax. There are far too many alternate options to accept such poor customer service and billing practices. Other services have stood behind their products when similar issues arose.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I created an account as required to start my 2019 tax return. At no point was I asked to enter the license key. Why doesn’t the company create a warning message before allowing someone to proceed with the online system? It can’t be that difficult! I was under the impression that I would be asked for this information upon completion of the program. I submitted my taxes in order to meet the deadline but ended up having to pay for the TurboTax software TWICE (I had purchased my first copy from Costco). After spending a couple hours entering all of the information, I was not about to clear the form and start over. The license key cannot be entered after the fact. VERY MISLEADING! Have used this program for years and will find another option next year.

Original review: July 15, 2020

Turbo Tax Free is a lying scam. I entered the site under the link for $0 Federal $0 State. I ended up being charged for the Deluxe $60 Federal $45 state. I took no deductions or credits. I've filed with them for many years but never again.

Original review: July 15, 2020

I have an S-corporation. TurboTax Business Online and Quickbooks Online both work quite well but there are few things about it that are really frustrating for me.

1. Cannot import business information from QBO to TurboTax. This should be a no-brainer feature between the two, since these products are both made by Intuit and are their main products. This was one of the main reasons why I chose to use these products. However, you cannot copy from QBO to TT, and they don't mention this limitation anywhere on their main web site. Only there is an article hidden away in their support forums, see below URL.

2. If your S-Corp reports losses, you cannot E-File. This is a big pain, there is one checkbox that TurboTax does not support, which is to include a calculation worksheet for basis. The solution is to file the federal return by paper, including the state return. Even NY State requires an E-File, but TT forces me to file by paper, for this reason. See below URL. Not sure if they will ever fix this!!

Original review: July 14, 2020

I have used TurboTax for 3-4 years since 2010. My experience overall has been ok, even though you have to watch out under what plan you are filing from and the associated costs. Just yesterday I went to file the simple form 4868-Extension of filing and there was no way to do it under the Freefile plan. Apparently, they haven't thought about it, since only a few million file that extension. Between logging in and verification of account and searching, I wasted one hour. I went to TaxAct and easily filed it (with the State) in half an hour.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information