Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Intuit - TurboTax
3.46/5
Based on 1,873 ratings submitted in the last year

Intuit - TurboTax

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

The help files are NOT accurate because they are verbatim from the IRS books and do not address the SOFTWARE issues. I am not the only consumer who looks to their help files for help with their SOFTWARE, but they give almost no help in the software. Therefore, the software cannot be accurate because the user does not know if the software was accurately used for the specific question they didn't answer. Even the telephone technical support people have been of no help. Twice now I have paid to have H&R Block do my taxes because of insufficient help in this software's help files AND unknowledgeable technical support people.

Relatively easy with the step-by-step instructions, but many of the questions give no indication that a later question/page will want you to exclude a subtotal from the earlier page. Therefore, I have had to go back, deduct the amount, then put it in the subsequent page. It seems too easy for email to be trapped or lost. There is no telephone method (even if it is automated) to get a personal ID number. TWICE, I called Intuit's technical support for SOFTWARE help. TWICE I was told I had to contact the other people for TAX SUPPORT. I told them - both times - that I KNOW the TAX information, I just need to know how to get it into your software. They BOTH insisted I call the tax support people. And BOTH TIMES, the TAX people said they cannot help me because it is a SOFTWARE support question... and I got no help, wasted two plus hours, and just paid H&R Block to do my taxes.

As far as I am concerned, I merely wasted my money getting TurboTax software. Ultimately, I gave the software to my niece who filed a 1040EZ (i.e. no questions, just fill-in-the-blank) because she wanted a typed copy to send instead of handwriting it, which she was fully aware of how to do WITHOUT the software.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

My daughter is a forensic accountant and I did not want to bother her with my "simple" taxes. I used TurboTax Premier and she said it was 75% to 80% accurate. She could have easily found me more deductions. Did not really go into items where I could have gotten deductions. I had to know how to calculate many things that TurboTax should have computed for me. On unusual tax items had to contact Intuit for assistance - this was a nightmare. Spoke with 3 representative until connected to someone that was able to assist me. Hope the security is good. I believe my Apple computer has good security, do not know from Intuit's end. Bought Intuit TurboTax Premier from BJ's for $55.00. My daughter is an accountant and said that for a simple tax return an accountant gets $125.00. TurboTax Premier was not totally user friendly, do not know about security. Customer service was horrendous.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Able to get a brief explanation of the tax law. I understand they have someone adding the tax briefs but they are not in-depth. It is like paying for a luxury car but only getting Honda. There two modes where they guide you or manual. You review what you want and the software chimes in where needed. I have used this software for years and feel it has gotten more complicated over the years. They have had some security breaks but who has not. Security of information is not high on corporate America list. I have worked for the IRS and every year during our yearly tax update, HR Block was on the watch list including other tax companies. Never once was TurboTax discussed. Having worked in the tax industry - I feel TurboTax is one of the better ones. You do have to read the tax briefs because it will allow you to file items you are not allowed.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Common schedules not available, difficult to override the system. Zero support available except in chat rooms from other clueless taxpayers. Software would be adequate if there was even rudimentary customer service. In the past Turbotax processed my refund promptly. However, this year I had to use the Taxpayer Advocate to track down my return. Still have not received it from TurboTax. Today alone I have been on three separate 45-minute holds because there is no way to reach customer service or track down the missing money. Never had good customer service, now it's non-existent. No customer service so no way to get questions answered accurately. Horrible, as far as I can tell they have no tracking software. I'm in the process of taking them to court to get my refund, which the IRS sent to Green Dot bank over a week ago.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I had some complicated investments profits and losses but when I called TurboTax customer service for help their representative walked me through the various entries, and spent almost an hour on the phone with me at no additional charges. Saves me many hours trying to compute the right numbers and entering them in the correct places. The questions guide you through the information needed on the forms and vastly simplify complicated instructions. Once you initially set up an account (for free) and choose a strong password you can securely access your records year after year. I have used TurboTax exclusively for many years, since it was only available on disk, and now available online. I find that even as the tax code becomes more complex, TurboTax's software becomes easier to use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I have no reason to think it's not accurate. I have a home business so I use the Home & Office version. I started using it 2 years ago. That year and last year they had a deal where up to $9,000 of refund could be taken in the form of an Amazon gift card for 110% of the amount. The 10% bonus far exceeded the cost of the software, so in effect they were paying me to use it. This year they no longer offer the Amazon option. Since they already had my data from last year, which minimizes data entry, and since I was used to the software, I figured it was worth paying for. Otherwise I would have explored other options. Some of their instructions on what to enter could have been clearer but all in all it was pretty clear. I haven't had any problems with security (knock on wood).

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Have used TurboTax for more than 35 years except for the one year it would not load to Windows version I had. Have never experienced an error on either mine or any family member's return. The value has dropped as they cut the number of e-filings allowed while continuing to raise the price, on the premier version. Ease of use is good, but questions not always easily answered when it comes to rental property and IRAs. Stocks have not presented unusual problems. Always check encryption lock prior to transmission. The rest I must print out and ask family members to snail mail, so have experienced no security issue. Reconsider limits on the number of times e-files can be used. Not all families are limited to three filers.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Difficult to know exactly where the problems occurred because little is visible on the computations. TurboTax had me paying far more tax than H&R Block and compared to previous years. TurboTax reduced the features for 2014 while call the product the same and pricing it the same as previous years. It isn't hard to use. The results are just wrong! Read where TurboTax had been hacked. We had used it in previous years and then suffered ID problems. Someone had already gotten a refund using one of our SSNs. TurboTax sent an email promising a $25 refund if we purchase the 2014 product. We did. They denied our refund when we tried to get it.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I have never found a problem that they had not fixed and never (well lets not jinx it) :-)). It is overpriced. Each year the same product lacks less features causing the user to buy the higher priced version (Deluxe --> Premium for example). Having the ability to have the corporation input the data instead of me hand entering it is a very big plus. Navigate could be a lot better, but it is doable. Never had a problem that I am aware of to affect me. I do wished that Intuit had not purchased Tax Edge and then folded most of it into TT. Tax Edge had done very well with their software. Most of TT is from Tax Edge.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Sometimes confusing where some info should go. Pretty good for taxes. Like using but very, very upset about how to pay for state filing. Very sneaky to charge $39.99 to pay for efile from refund. What is this??? I have to pay for efiling? I tried to use credit card but continuously got error that the site was unavailable so I have to call. I called and it took 25 minutes to get through, then I have to give serial numbers and get codes and back for forth for another 10 minutes JUST TO PAY! Really is this worth it!? Left a very bad feeling about trickery by Turbotax.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Ease of use, simple questions. Cheap, affordable. Everything's laid out for you. Never had any problems with security. Secure but Intuit are greedy underhanding slimeballs for making you pay for something you didn't ask for. They advertise free but without your consent or knowing stick you with 40 dollar charge for audit alert membership with another business that you didn't not ask for or want. But you had no choice if you wanted to file your taxes electronically or start over. Just another greedy company who don't care for their customers just their investors.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

Contains all pertinent forms and schedules. Correctly asked for and applied LEO retirement exemption. Compares favorably with tax services. A little bit cumbersome to return to a specific form or line, though. Returns securely and successfully transmitted. A major flaw in last year's business return software was the inability to electronically file a State return as required by State Law. TurboTax did not disclose this prior to my purchasing the software and did not provide this service until the 11th hour, 59th minute of the return being due.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

It does not know your specific situations and it cannot ask questions you have only in a format of form numbers. Saves time, does give information regarding errors and just points out what you owe and not what they owe you. Easy for anyone who understands the languages available. Very good and it does not matter where you log on from any device. It remembers only certain specifications of your prior year return. You need to research your specific needs in order to get the help you need.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

I can't make sense why I paid almost $6,000.00 in taxes (including property taxes) and only get a return of $1,600.00 including my State tax! Some of the instructions can be confusing, for example, I could not find a block where I could enter information about the Form 1095-B.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2016

They download my investment information directly from Vanguard. The cost is a fraction of what I used to pay an accountant to use the same software. They auto fill all the information from the previous year so it saves a lot of time. They have added more safety steps in the process to prevent the problem they had last year. I have been using them for ten years and my CPA used them prior to that and I have never had an issue.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

TurboTax has issues in 2016 with allowing you to use a Mac computer to run the program. It would not take payment for the state e-filing "because we were using a Mac computer"! The first time I called, I was put on hold for 2 hours and 20 minutes and was transferred a total of 4 times. Finally got through and got a code to enter. Then I called for my second filing for my daughter's taxes and they tried to have me pay more than the $19.99 fee because they didn't have the correct code. Put on hold again, person helping me was extremely rude - (Vanita), said I could pay the higher amount or she would put me on hold to see if she could find someone that knew the right code. No one ever returned to the call. I will never use TurboTax again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

Be careful when paying Intuit for the TurboTax service. When you are ready to file notice that the MAX Assist & Defend option is the default setting and if you miss that and then click the next button to pay you will be charged an additional fee of $59.99. My total was $184.05 for the Home and Business plus the state version. In five seconds, I realized I made a mistake but to no avail, Intuit had my money and appeals did not work and were a waste of time. This is the Intuit policy: "Once you've confirmed and paid for the service, we are unable to offer a refund." The payment step is one of two places in the entire software package that cannot be corrected. For most people MAX Assist & Defend is not needed and a waste of money. Intuit got an extra $60 from me but in the process but lost my trust and my willingness to recommend their service. I have used the TurboTax service since 1994 when Intuit acquired Parsons Technology for $64 million.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I have been a TurboTax user for years and have always been pleased. Easy features, pulls prior year info over, etc. Well this year I had many deductions so purchased the upgraded additions, offered the option to deduct it from my return, bonus easy enough! Then at time of filing that was an additional charge for this service. OK, anything not to put my credit card info online. Well here is where the trauma/drama begins. TurboTax uses a 3rd party and made the mistake of not reading every word of their disclosure. When my info from last year pulled over, it dropped the last 3 digits off my account number. As of today 2/23/2016 Santa Barbara Tax Preparer Group has had my refund for over two weeks and will not release it. After uploaded them my drivers license twice, verifying they have it they are now requesting I fax my drivers license. I have found hundreds of other having the same issues.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I've been using TurboTax for many years. I've never had an issue until now. This is my first year having them take the fees out of my refund. What a mistake! I went through the whole process of doing my Federal and State. Get all the way through the process and it tells me I can't E-file my state and I have to mail it in. Then I have to wait 6 wks for a refund! I don't want to wait 6 weeks and after spending a lot of time late at night on a Friday night, I was tired and just figured I'd contact them Monday when they are open. No biggie right? So, come to find out, the issue is TurboTax didn't get the business code on the 1040 right. My Federal shouldn't even been submitted seeing as that right there raises my chances of getting audited. It was a simple fix BUT there was no way for me to fix this. It wouldn't let me change the code on the State taxes either!

So, forget it, I just went on my state's website and redid my state taxes with the proper code. E-file accepted! FOR FREE! Now TurboTax should refund my state fees 34.99! They absolutely refuse since I submitted everything. With any NORMAL company we are allowed to cancel our order and receive a refund if the product is not what we wanted. NOT THEM! If I used PayPal or a credit card I would've gotten a refund but again TurboTax refused and then the customer service rep was completely argumentative. Then the supposed President calls me and she was just as ignorant and argumentative. So that's fine. I will make sure I NEVER use this company for anything ever again. Neither will my husband or my 2 children. They chose to lose 4 customers over a lousy 34.99. I also put a post on Facebook and there's another 400 people that saw my post. Not to mention the people they told! What a horrible money hungry company!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

I have used TurboTax several times before. Thus far this year, our return has been rejected 8 - you see that, 8 times. First it was the wrong PIN for me. Funny... I wrote it down as it showed up on the screen. Then it was my husband's PIN they said was wrong. Next, they said since I put my name first instead of his they couldn't take it since last year his name was first. (WTH?) Then they said it had been accepted and since it was accepted with my name first they couldn't fix it. I spent half an hour last night with a rep and she ended up telling me to wait till this morning "to let the system catch up". Well, no change today.

I'm still on hold since the customer service rep can't figure out what's going on. Yeah, I could do her job as well as she does for all the help I've been given so far. I've wasted $67 and now it looks like I'm going to have to file via snail mail and wait the 6-12 weeks I didn't want to wait this year since we need the money we're getting back. What a crock. I will never patronize TurboTax again. They take your money quickly enough but if there's a problem you're out of luck. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

Filed my 2015 return. Yesterday 3 weeks later I receive a letter from the IRS saying that they needed form 2651 which should have been sent when I filed. I called TurboTax yesterday. After 2 hours on the phone they sent me to another group (Tax Analyst). This morning I get this from them "I am sorry but I am not sure what the issue is. Accuracy Guarantee claims are for when and if you receive a letter from the IRS in which you were audited and incurred penalties/or interest charges. Have you received such a letter that shows penalties incurred?"

In the email there is no contact info to help me get this resolved. So I had to start at square 1 again. Called again. Told them that the customer service from yesterday sent me to another group with a new number and they closed out my issue. After all was said and done. The new customer service agent was able to get me my forms easily. My concern with Turbo Tax is that their software is not sending out the needed forms to the IRS. They should have sent the 6251 form in my case due to the chance of me having to pay AMT tax. Turbo Tax software did not. Then when informing their customer service of the glitch they did nothing to resolve the problem, just helped me get the forms they should have sent in the first place.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2016

Like other posts I've seen, I feel swindled by the Intuit packaging gimmicks. I bought a bundled version of Turbotax Deluxe and Quicken 2016. I don't have complicated taxes. I bought the deluxe version because it supposed to come with State taxes. I was extremely disappointed to discover that the bundled Deluxe version I bought does NOT include State tax preparation. I have download that and pay an extra $40. I must say, it is a very well played Bait & Switch tactic with the name and packaging. You have to look at the boxes and descriptions very closely to see the switch between the regular and the bundled version. Maybe next year I'll just download the forms and do everything by hand again.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

Filed my taxes with TT as I have done for the last 12 years (without incident). Received an email from TT stating, "Your refund is on its way. You will see your direct deposit within the next business day". 4 days later = NOTHING. Contact the IRS whom states my refund has been funded (3 days ago). Contacted SBTPG based on the information in the email from TT. I was routed to 3 different 800 #'s via an automated system. To finally get my call dropped 3 times and then to sit on hold for over 2.5 hours with no one ever picking up the call.

Went online to TT to see who SBTPG was and if others had issues with this organization. I found a link to the SBTPG website in which I logged in providing my SS#, refund amount and filing status. It then prompts a pop up message that says "Due to suspicious activity your account has been put on hold. Fax a copy of your driver's license/passport and we will review your documents within 7 business day". Whaaat? My "account"? I don't even know who these people are and you want me to fax what? Where?

So, I contacted TT this AM for the agent to tell me she had no idea whom SBTPG was and this appeared to be very suspicious as they do not show my account being ever being put on hold. After almost an hour and her supervisor stepping in they tell me this appears to be the Santa Barbara bank. They have nothing to do with this issue and that I need to try and contact them really? "Isn't this your vendor," I ask. They reply, "yes." "So, ME (your customer) has to contact YOUR vendor to find out why my refund hasn't been deposited as YOU stated it would be?" She then proceeds to tell me that since my refund is so large there are controls to verify identities to prevent fraudulent claims. Hmmmmm. So the ONLY fraudulent activity in my mind at this point is the fact that the IRS funded my refund 4 days ago (as of today).

The TT vendor SBTPG has my refund and now for potentially another 7 business days as they "verify my identity"? This from a customer that has used TT for 12 years, depositing my refunds into the same bank account? And, why wasn't this verification done prior to the IRS funding my refund. Who's making money here? Can you say - FRAUD!!! Very disappointed with TT as they just lost a very faithful customer.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

I have been using TurboTax for a number of years. This year I did my return using their Deluxe version. I completed both returns without any issues and filed both state and federal without any apparent problems other than constantly being bombarded for upgrades that I did not need. Both returns were accepted promptly. I received my stated refund in about 10 days. I kept checking on my federal return and after 4 weeks was finally notified that my federal refund check was being mailed to me next week. What the Heck - I had completed my return requesting Direct Deposit which I got on my state return. I printed a hard copy of my Federal Return and there "x"s through all account and routing numbers.

After a little research I discovered this was a big problem with TurboTax in 2014 and I guess it carried over. Several calls to Customer Service failed to resolve the issue. They were rude, incompetent and a total waste of time (They deserve less than 1 star). At this point it would have been quicker to file a paper return through snail mail. I will be using someone other than TurboTax next year!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

We are not sure what happened because tax support absolutely refused to help us or answer any of our questions, but we received an alarming email from TurboTax stating that our account had been accessed from a computer in California. It went on to say... "If this doesn't sound right please contact us." That's exactly what we did, but the man must not have understood, but I can't speak for his mind, but he didn't respond the way someone who understood would. He just kept trying to sell us a security package. My husband said "No thanks. You guys texted us so what's the problem?" The man became irate and hung up the phone!

Needless to say this highly alarmed me because for all I know he could be the one trying to steal our taxes! So I called back and he also got rude with me. I told him he has to tell us who accessed our account because that's his job, and he told me to shut the ** up! I told him I'm calling the FTC, but it's late Friday and now I'm just stuck wondering if someone stole my money! Completely unprofessional and incompetent! Is it even legal for a business to do that when it comes to the IRS? This is a sensitive area to be playing with people’s money!!!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2016

My wife and I did our 2014 taxes with them last year and it work out so we decided to do 2015 as well. We used their website and as we finished up we noted the price which was supposed to be free. It started at 34.99 which we were ok with and then they add another 36.99 for state tax filing. At that point we just decided to pay it and wanted it to come out of refund. Then they were trying to auto tack on another 39.99 for "TurboTax Premium Bundle Services With Refund Transfer"! Total became $111 and some change...

We found out that was the transfer fee for paying with the refund. We unchecked that box and instead decided to pay with a debit card. It wasn't on the summary but we ended up getting charged for it anyway. I called and was on hold about 20 or more minutes. After speaking to level 1, I finally got a supervisor and he outright refused to refund it saying it was our mistake. He refused to let me speak to their advisors. If I wanted to pay that extra fee I most certainly would have used the refund to pay it. What an awful experience with their terrible services. I will not use them in the future.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2016

I purchased Intuit Turbo Tax Premier Disc edition and installed it on my Apple Mac with the latest operating system. Turbo Tax Premier presented problems with my state filing. I was unable to file my federal taxes and had the rejected multiple times because Intuit recognizes a five digit electronic filing pin code and IRS sent me a six digit IP Pin code. Even upon my obtaining a five digit code my federal forms were rejected for electronic filing. I got an assist number from Turbo Tax and phoned many times providing my information with no return calls. When I spoke with a representative about my problems with state filing they were courteous, but not helpful. If my daughter were not an accountant and able to correct the problems and have me file by mail because Turbo Tax would not enable me to file electronically, my problem would not have been resolved. IRS is aware of the problem and advised me that Turbo Tax should have been able to assist me.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

After using TurboTax for a number of years and preparing the return, as usual, I discovered that because my entire 2015 income came from Social Security, no federal or state filing is required. TurboTax still billed me $29.99 for doing nothing. After trying several phone numbers, all of which either no longer respond, or are disconnected, I eventually reached a Tech support representative. He promised I would receive a refund and it would appear on my bank statement. This never happened. After using my online bank statement, I was able to find a Customer Support number. I was told they would call me back, which never happened. Whether I need to ever do a future filing, TurboTax will never again get my business.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I filed using the free file 2015 edition of Intuit TurboTax for my taxes this year. It is essentially just a portal to try and sell you on their other products. It is an extremely drawn out process with constant attempts to sell you on the "upgrades". The worst part was when I tried to access my previous returns it would not even let me pay to get the plus edition. The help center was awful and kept running me in circles to the same options which it would subsequently not let me choose. Do yourself a favor and use one of the other various free tax services. Tax Slayer allowed me to access my previous returns at no cost and hassle free.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

I have been using Turbo Tax free addition for at least 15 years without any problems until last year. Our tax situation has been the exact same for the last 10-12 years. They tried to stick it to me last year with their fees at the end, but I called and got them waved. I've seen at least 50 Ads on TV the last few weeks from Turbo Tax claiming to file for free, and we mean "0". Well folks you better hold on to your wallet because like a fool I started my return online 2 days ago and they have already tried to hose me out of 69.98 for an upgrade to Deluxe edition and for E-file. I DON'T THINK SO!! I would rather pay a local tax guy 500.00 before I will give these crooks one red cent. People save yourself some time, aggravation and money and find another place to get you taxes done. I'm done with Intuit my bank account. Peace out.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information