Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: April 13, 2017

Just updated my info and approved my device on TurboTax.com. The 2 following emails were from spam and came directly to my inbox. Not using TurboTax. Also when I unsubscribe from all it was a hassle and then prompted a survey. The customer service from the agent who called was great. He was wonderful. TurboTax sells your email. Hope I don't start getting spam phone calls now.

Original review: April 13, 2017

After working on my 2016 taxes for two days, the software would not allow me to E-File, and would quit when I tried to print and or save a PDF file. I spent 7 hours with six different customer service representatives. First few hours were spent with the reps trying to ineffectually solve the problem, when it was obvious they were not experts on how to address glitches with the software. After 4 hours I was finally transferred to a Tier 2 representative, who assured me that deleting the software and reinstalling it again would fix the problem and that I would not loose my data. As it turns out he was wrong. I can no longer open my saved file and have to start the process all over again.

I asked to talk to a supervisor and was given a 24 hour timeline for a callback, which never happened. Finally when I called back and reached a supervisor, I found out there were no notes, which every representative took time to type while I waited, on my account. Heather, the supervisor, made a promise of resolving my issue and took me down yet another route as she was trying to figure things out, and then hung up on me. Three days wasted with a defective software and inept customer service at TurboTax.

Original review: April 12, 2017

Used TurboTax to file my taxes. It let me file my 2016 taxes without the 1095A or the 8962 form. I received letter from the IRS, and they put a hold on my taxes until I submitted the forms. After 6 weeks of going around and around with the "Healthcare Market Place" I eventually got a 1095A and went online and got a 8962. But you bet TurboTax got their money. I will never use TurboTax again. They are not accurate and they do not update their tax documents.

Original review: April 12, 2017

I purchased TurboTax 2016 in the middle of January. I always owe taxes so I pretty much wait until the last minute to file. Guess I won't do that again. The program is not working at all. It freezes up transferring my 2015 information over. I left it up all night and it was still frozen this morning. It is too late to get a refund because you have to do it with 60 days of purchasing. I have tried over and over today. Now I have to go buy another tax program. I did a Google search and apparently hundreds of people are having problems with TurboTax 2016. It is NOT my computer because everything else is working just fine. I think TurboTax should refund people whether the 60 days is up or not. Guess I just got **!

Original review: April 11, 2017

Intuit does not call back. No way to reach them to talk. I have tried and tried leaving my phone number for a call back. So far after a couple hours, nobody has called. So I am spinning my wheels. This is not going well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: April 11, 2017

TurboTax is ripping people off with their "Premium" charges. If you google "TurboTax charged me for premium services when I didn't want it", you will see many many people who got beat out of their hard earned money. As I was working on my tax return, the software keeps popping up an ad asking if the taxpayer wants to purchase "Premium bundle" which would allow auditing help. This message pops up about 10x's throughout. Because my taxes are not complicated, I keep declining.

Well Turbotax waited until I was 99% done and wouldn't let me finalize anything until I said "yes" to get out of the cycle. Then the IRS sent me a letter asking for a document regarding my mortgage credit allowance. Of course TurboTax sends me an email stating they want to be paid because I wasn't able to obtain my refund. First they sent me an email asking for $74 before April 6th and then they just deducted $111 out of my checking. I called Turbotax and they stated that because my tax return was processed online, I couldn't get the refund for the Premium. I asked to speak with a manager and was told there were no managers available and that they would take my information and have a manager contact me. Three (3) days later and no call.

What TurboTax doesn't realize is that it is quite easy for me to use plenty of other tax return software next year, which I plan to do. As many businesses that are closing these days, why does TurboTax think they can scam people and not pay a price. When companies taste success, they turn around and start ripping off the same people that helped to make them successful. I can't afford to put gas in my car, let alone food on the table every night but I learned my lesson and I hope someday, TurboTax will learn theirs.

Original review: April 10, 2017

They trap you with hidden fees at the finish line! My wife and I bought the best TurboTax package at Costco for $65. At the end of filing TurboTax makes you pay a $25 fee to e-file your state return even though they helped you get it done with the package. They just want to nail you more money for nothing. On top of that they nail you another $35 fee to pay that $25 if you have it come out of your tax return. WHAT A JOKE!

Original review: April 10, 2017

I was charged for a service I did not want. The software selected the TURBOTAX PREMIUM SERVICES BUNDLE by default which I did not realize after payment was made. I paid with a credit card, but had originally selected the pay with Return option. When I switched payment option, it included benefit by default. I have looked into different ways to ask for a refund on this and there does not seem to be a way to get my money back. TurboTax needs to fix this scam option.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I am very disappointed with this product (Turbotax for MAC 2016). I used last year TurboTax, and I have no problem. This year is a totally different story. It is not even reading the CD. Customer service is nonexistent at best. I have tried to get this problem solved for the last 3 hours, and TurboTax customer service always said the same thing ("We will call you back in few minutes"). I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone. Turbotax lost a customer and the best I can do is to disseminate my awful experience.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I called this morning at 10:00 with a simple problem. One "expert" took an hour and a half going round and round in circles to get me nowhere. I told her I knew she was doing her best but at this point I needed to speak with a supervisor. She said it would take 72 hours to get one back to me. I told her I couldn't take another day off work, I needed to be able to use the site today. Then she cut me off. I called back, got someone who did know what he was doing, but he had to wait 45 minutes for another department to give him a service code, and this involved my having to purchase another download on top of the one I'd already purchased. So all in all it took 3 hours and 45 minutes to solve a finally very simple problem.

Original review: April 10, 2017

I have been using TurboTax for the last few years, and each year the experience is more frustrating. The Intuit company motto seems to be, "Each year less for more." I have watched their prices rise each year and the quality of their products decline. I know a lot of people write negative reviews in the heat of the moment, but I assure you that I bear no ill will towards this company. I feel it is my duty to report my experience, and then you can make up your own mind whether or not you want to take a chance with them.

My taxes, this year, were fairly straightforward. I am retired, receiving Social Security benefits, and for a few months I drove for Uber. So I had to purchase their most expensive program, the Home & Business software, and I chose to purchase the CD vs. a download. The computer I initially tried to use is a MacBook Pro. The program seemed to load properly, and I immediately got a message that there were updates to download. However when I tried to download the updates, I kept receiving an error message with the instructions, "Please try again later." It was then that I remembered I went through the same thing last year. Ultimately I had to load the program onto an old Gateway laptop I have which was running Windows 7. But, I thought to myself, "Surely they have fixed that problem over the last year," so I went ahead and began working on my 2016 return.

I finally completed the return and the program prompted me to begin the filing process. The first pop-up message I got was that I could not file at this time because I was missing the necessary tax forms. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the necessary tax forms were part of the update that wouldn't download. Wouldn't you think, that a program whose only purpose in the world is to file income tax, would include the necessary tax forms to do so? Baffling.

So, since these updates still wouldn't download, I called TurboTax Help. The first lady I spoke with was quite nice and seemed reasonably concerned with my problem. She walked me through their entire troubleshooting list with no results. It was during this 1 hour phone call that I began to lose all hope in this program I had chosen to simplify filing my tax return. The nice lady suggested that she send me another download of the entire program, which she did. When I loaded the program, it asked me if I wanted to replace the current 2016 program I had saved or to save both. Remember, all of my 2016 data was already filled out on the existing program. So I clicked the "Save both" tab. Unfortunately, and much to my horror, the download erased all of the saved entries. It was then that I realized that I had a serious problem, and so does TurboTax.

So, I pulled out my old Gateway, still running Windows 7, and loaded the TurboTax software onto it. Same message about updates popped up, but they downloaded without a problem. And, sure enough, all the tax forms were part of these updates. I wonder what else I downloaded? Then I started all over again and a couple of hours later had the return filled out. It was quite a bit faster the second time around, although I don't recommend doing it twice. Next, the program told me that I was ready to file, and it recommended e-filing, which I had done in the past. Of course, it takes almost as long to e-file as it does to fill out the return because TurboTax wants to take out every last cent it can from you. Advertisement after advertisement pops up during the filing process, before it will actually let you click the "Submit" button.

As it turned out, I owed $365 to the Feds, so I gave TurboTax my credit card info and hit "Submit." About an hour later I got an email telling me that my Federal return had been rejected as well as my State (California) return. The reason it gave was that either the AGI (Adjust Gross Income) from 2015 or my PIN number were in error. As part of the filing process, TurboTax asks for a lot of information and these two items are among that info.

Now, TT prompts me to correct the errors and resubmit. I go to my 2015 return and copy the AGI (again) and try a different PIN number (which TurboTax tells me I can simply make up). How can a PIN number that I just made up be wrong? So, I give them a different credit card, just in case that was part of the problem, and I resubmit the return. An hour later, I get the same rejection notice. So, I go back to my 2015 tax folder and find the PIN I used last year, and again go back to my return and copy my AGI. Of course, you know the end result, a third rejection. I am, at this point, pretty frustrated with my $100 software purchase. I decide to print out my return and file by mail. That seems to go okay. For their grand finale, I discovered sometime later that TurboTax has taken $365 out of each credit card account, even though the returns were rejected.

Original review: April 10, 2017

TurboTax didn't seem all that bad to start with. I was able to navigate fairly well but had to back up several times due to the system not understanding or even asking at first if I was married. Duh! The real problem started with E-filing my Federal taxes. That's supposed to be free but the state of course costs $24.95 to E-file. B.S. to me since I already forked out $65.00 for the damn software! Three times now the IRS has supposedly rejected my return in less than an hour after sending through TurboTax. The first time was I allegedly screwed up my birth date. Okay, maybe? Now twice it claims my spouse's PIN or AIG number isn't the same as last year's record wit the IRS.

We've never E-filed before!!! There shouldn't be any previous PIN for either of us!!! It hasn't rejected mine PIN yet keeps rejecting my wife's which is just as new this year as mine!!! I believed this is a scam to force me to buy their insurance and also pay to file the state taxes. I'm a first time customer and this has been a total pain in the butt so far! Unless I can file the Federal through snail mail without any problems now I'm totally done with TurboTax!!!

Original review: April 10, 2017

I have used TurboTax for the last 3 years and have never had a problem until this year. I filed in January and still haven't received my refund, which the IRS said was deposited into a bank account mid February. I had to have a trace done on it by the IRS because no one can seem to locate it and TurboTax feels no responsibility to help. I have talked to multiple customer service representatives some of which have hung up on me mid call and others which have plain lied to me about how certain are done. In addition I chose to have my fee taken out of my refund and since I have not received it they charged my bank account. I found out today they charged me almost double the fee. I HIGHLY recommend using another company to do your taxes. They are far from helpful and only care that they get their money, even if that means putting you through hell.

Original review: April 9, 2017

Can only use for my taxes? In years past, I have used the same TurboTax software to file my taxes for me and a family member. I could have bought software this year but was lured into the online version, and now have to buy a new service to finish my family member's taxes. Greedy, deceitful and a real crapfest. Next year will use a different product!

Original review: April 9, 2017

Decided to use TurboTax to do my taxes this year. Federal filing was free, and state $39.99. Somewhere while filing my federal taxes, they bumped me up to the deluxe version. Never did I see that. File my taxes, I pay for it using my credit card, assuming I was going to pay $39.99 for filing my state taxes... Never gives me a price that they are going to charge my card, federal was supposed to be free, state $39.99. Charge card was charged $101.63. I guess this is the old bait and switch. Called their customer service line and all the lady said is she was sorry. SORRY, WTF is sorry you just overcharged me? Says there is nothing she can do about it. I very much advise everybody NOT TO USE THEIR SERVICE!!!

Original review: April 8, 2017

I have used TurboTax for many years with success with the knowledge that it is not the most friendly tax preparation software. I finished my 2016 Tax return with the premiere version. After printing a copy TurboTax completely deleted my file for no reason known to me. I would to warn the TurboTax users of this flaw in this year's software and suggest to make copies of your tax return before printing or filing your return.

Original review: April 8, 2017

Bait-and-switch, no access to actual forms, no way to correct mistakes. Can't access corrections that were made. Online version quite inferior to disc. Same complaints as everyone else. Wanted to add a deduction for a small deduction to a royalty payment and it demanded money to do that -- horrible experience. Endless loops of questions and no way to fix anything or go directly to what you want. Wouldn't let me enter a Roth contribution without paying a lot more money. Free cost... over $100 when done. Worst experience ever. Never use again. Got free online version that cost a huge amount.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I began my taxes, reluctantly, as they've changed Home and Business to Self-Employed, but managed to get through it. Unfortunately, the fees kept piling up as I was going along. The price I originally agreed to was left far behind as they added more and more to the cost. The final straw was the $38 or $39 to be able to deposit the funds to my own account(?!). I used to like TurboTax as I found them straightforward and helpful. As a result of this experience, I am no longer a user of this brand. I wish they would not have gone the way of other internet business with using a hook and then once you've completed the process, finding you owe several hundred dollars - in my case $300. It's not acceptable.

Original review: April 5, 2017

According to TurboTax, my bf was able to claim all of us since he supported us for over a year. That was false information according to the IRS. Now we have to pay money to amend my BF claim. We will stick with H&R Block. However, it was easy to use.

Original review: April 5, 2017

Signed up for TurboTax from an email sent directly to me. Promised 50% off. Finished my taxes by the next morning, less than 12 hours later, and THE DISCOUNT WAS NOT AVAILABLE. Wanted to charge me over $150 to file state and federal. I'll do it myself, or pay a human. That's BS! Never again! Especially when I could just run down to Walmart or Officemax and buy a disc that would be at a discount, instead of clicking on their unsolicited email!

Original review: April 5, 2017

I returned to TurboTax after taking a few years off out of frustration with many anti-customer choices deliberately built in to the product. Now I remember why I left and shall never return. The good part is that the interview method works pretty well IF you get everything right and trust what is going on behind the scene. The bad is that if you make a mistake, or want to change an entry, it is ridiculously difficult to do so. For example, I wanted to see what our taxes would look like if we claimed our adult son as a dependent (he was in school, so he qualified) versus letting him claim himself as an exemption (also legal). I could not, despite hours of trying, get TurboTax to do this. I could remove him, but the return did not actually change.

There is no clear way to go back and change information. You should be able to go directly to the form and change an entry, but no. You can bring up the form, but not make changes. I wound up saving one version and completely redoing a second version (via the Q&A, what a pain to re-enter all that info). And I still don't really know what difference it made. I wound up just calculating the impact on my own based on the effective tax rate. And forget about talking to a rep; even though the Deluxe (a misnomer) version claims 24/7 access to help, that is only to the online forums and or Intuit's not useful help. For example, no search produced a discussion of how to go back and change information or correct - only how to amend an already-filed return.

And when you go to finish the process, you are pushed into e-filing and buying the audit protection. I declined the protection but entered my and my wife's info for e-filing only to discover that suddenly I would be charged another $50 or so - on top of the $50 I already paid. That is pure scam. Nothing in the promotional materials makes you aware that you have to pay extra to e-file. Shame on you, Intuit. Shame on me if I ever buy TurboTax again.

Original review: April 5, 2017

I will never use the services of TurboTax again. Firstly, it is impossibly frustrating just to fight through their initial answering service to simply get to the next level; a machine which cannot seem to understand anything said no matter how carefully formed the are words, nor can it recognize even simple, clearly spoken letters. What's more, when it finally did seem to give up and transfer me onward, I never did receive any worthwhile help nor adequate answers to my questions from representatives. They did not seem to know what they were doing nor could they answer the simplest, straightforward questions. All they seemed concerned with was ending the call so they could get on to the next caller.

I've been using this company for years, but this year, 2017, they've become altogether different. I offered to pay a qualified tax person to advise me throughout, of which I've done in years past and have been very happy with. But not this year! That seemed an impossible thing for them to do. Regardless that I, again offered to pay an additional fee. I believe many mistakes were made. At the point I knew one may well be happening, I asked the representative if I should do this or that. The representative seemed to have no clue, but did make it clear she would leave me at this point, as "the program will walk you through the rest from here." And that was that. She was gone.

I will not finish my 207 return with TurboTax. I believe there were mistakes made; I tried to call tonight, and I spend a good I will take my taxes to be done 15 minutes fighting with the answering machine once more. "I did not understand you. I cannot help you if you don't tell me exactly what you need!" Gad! And then? I'm told I'll be on the phone for 90 minutes before I can talk to someone. Yesterday, I was told it would be an hour and a half, and I ended up waiting for three hours.

I will be doing my taxes again here locally. At least I'll have someone to actually talk to that knows what they're doing; plus, I won't have to fight with a machine I cannot navigate through, no matter what is said, before I even get a chance to talk to someone, if I ever do. Secondly, when I do finally manage to talk to a live person, they'll know what they're talking about and won't, at least, appear to be trying to get me off the phone so they can just get on to the next caller.

Original review: April 4, 2017

First time filing tax with TurboTax. They mentioned free, then they charged for state tax, and then they included price for Deluxe package for no reason. This company is a total fraud and the customer service is very poor, does not support customer. I have spent $95 for this service and regret now! I could have used some other genuine tax filing companies or other agents for way cheaper amount than this.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I have utilized this service for many years and every year my taxes seems to go down and the fees go up. The system is built so if you do not want a fee charged to your account you must redo your entire tax form. I am paying 79.99 for what service and I enter all the information. It is better to just find a person sit down and get your taxes done and understand all the tax laws better. There is no live person assisting and I recommend that you chose wisely when using TurboTax. The service is horrible and a rip-off.

Original review: April 4, 2017

This program is a scam as I have had the same error for 2014 & 2015 on my tax return - ironically for the same tax line. I had to pay the IRS now for two years because the website is either putting previous information which I update on the time of filing!! The IRS is receiving incorrect information which contradicts what is being reported on my W-2. After experiencing this issue in 2014 I made sure to pay $54.99 for the software on April 11, 2016 to have access to all my previous filings (to see where the mistake was on the form filed from year 2014) and to AVOID this issue for my filing for the year of 2015 and yet again it happened!!! (Same issue was reported to the IRS for year 2015).

Original review: April 4, 2017

I paid for and used TurboTax for 2 years and had problem when I had to ask for assistance. Completing taxes in their program this year showed a possible entry error that could have been in last year's taxes as well. To resolve this I needed to reopen my last year's taxes. TurboTax was going to charge me $44 to be able to open my own 2015 tax file in the TurboTax program. It took over an hour and a half on the phone for them to ultimately allow me to open my file, and I did not have to pay $44. The bigger problem; their customer service person did not understand my issue or how to help and would not allow me to get help from a supervisor or person with other experience. This person repeatedly did not understand me and could not navigate their own system or resolve my issue.

While talking with this person I could clearly hear another person talking with them discussing my issue. I asked to work with the person supporting the service person I was talking with and the person I was working with denied there was any other person and continued to refuse to allow me to work with anyone else or to get to a supervisor. It came down to getting me an add in file but they could not get the file to transfer to me on the site. I ended up fixing the problem myself; their person, who was supposed to be there to help me, did not know how to use their own program and worse would not allow me to work with someone else who may have been able to resolve the issue readily. It was a terrible experience and unnecessary waste of my time. Looking back someone from TurboTax who was actually familiar with their product could have resolved my issue in minutes.

My current experience is that TurboTax has unqualified support personnel and other than working together against the customer they do not coordinate or work with each other; I found TurboTax support personnel to be a dysfunctional group and this was an unnecessarily bad experience for me. It is disturbing that they acted together against the interests of a customer.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I am a young college student and was looking for a cheap way to do taxes. Little did I know, this company loves hidden fees. They were unclear on THREE hidden fees for direct deposit, personal info upload from previous year, and for filing state taxes (the fee was almost double what is required to actually submit WI taxes). Little did I know my refund would be ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS lighter when all is said and done. I will not be using again.

Original review: April 4, 2017

I've been using TurboTax for many years. At first they were a really good service, but this year I'm done. The pricing is outrageous and they actually took their money right out of my checking account BEFORE I received my refund! And I had to send in separate forms and it was unclear as to how to fill out return this year. Very overly complicated and not at all easy to use like before. I will NEVER use them again.

Original review: April 3, 2017

I needed to file my taxes so I went to H&R Block and they said I was only getting 140$ back and their fee for filing was about 260$ so I decided to try doing it online. I tried irs.gov but I couldn't figure out how to do it at all. It was so confusing and I couldn't figure out how to do anything. So then I went to Credit Karma because I saw that on TV all the time. It sucked. Before I tried filing my taxes, I let Credit Karma look at my credit because that was what all the hype was about. So I checked it and they were SO SO wrong. Said I had absolutely horrible credit which wasn't the case. So I decided not to trust that site. My boyfriend then suggested TurboTax!! Love TurboTax! So easy to file taxes. They were so helpful and easy a 10 year old could do it. And free! I was very happy with it. Anyone who can't figure it out, I feel so bad for you because it is the easiest, most helpful app I have found.

Original review: April 3, 2017

You cannot manually correct through TurboTax's online filing service. You cannot get an English speaking or caring customer service representative (even after waiting on hold for over an hour). The 3rd attempt at getting help to file my taxes, the woman in broken English said she couldn't transfer me to a manager or anyone else....laughed, and then hung up on me! You can't get a direct extension and have to go through the same process from the beginning every time. Very Unprofessional!!!!

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information