Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: March 11, 2018

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe in February 2018 to do our tax returns. There is a glitch with this program in that it continually wanted employer information but my husband and I are retired as of 5 and 6 years ago, so couldn't provide that. Unable to efile after filling in all the information due to this "employer" issue that could not be fixed. So ended up printing my returns (Fed & State) and then mailing them in but was charged $24.99 apparently just for the program to figure the state return. Already paid plenty for the Deluxe program that I purchased and resent having to pay the additional $24.99 for basically nothing. Used TurboTax years ago for many years until the last five years when had a CPA do our taxes. Decided this year I could use TurboTax again but am extremely disappointed in TurboTax and would never recommend it. WILL NOT EVER USE TURBOTAX PROGRAMS AGAIN AND WOULD SUGGEST YOU PURCHASE SOMETHING ELSE.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I had a free coupon and it was $29.99. Then when I finished they secretly tacked on an extra $34.99 making the whole thing cost almost $70.00. It went from free to almost a hundred dollars. It's free when I do it by paper. Screw these "free" Services!

Original review: March 10, 2018

It has been terrible. I've called and called talked to many people and all they say is, "I'm sorry," and, "There's nothing I can do," and my favorite is, "We aren't in control of that." They have had my refund since the 22nd of February. It is now the 10 of March and I have to wait until the 14th to hopefully get access to my funds. In the meantime my power has been shut off. My landlord is evicting me and my 3 kids and grandson. I was injured so I can't work at the moment. All these things I explained to the people on the phone which is almost impossible to actually get a human on the line. And all I get is the same scripted responses and verbal masturbation. They can't give me access to my funds and then we aren't in control.

Then they tell me they are going to FedEx me a card so when I ask for the tracking number they tell me they didn't get one. I asked for the card number and they say they only know the last 4. So I ask them to transfer from my account to a different card. Again they can't do that so I asked if they can give me access so I can yet again. They can't do that either. This company which is owned by Green Dot is the worse company on the planet. Never trust them with your money or even a ** diaper.

Original review: March 9, 2018

Filed through TurboTax again like I have done many times before but this time I have not received my federal refund yet but the IRS tells me they sent the refund 3 weeks ago but it has never shown up in my bank account. Now mind you my state return has been received. The IRS tells me it’s out of their hands now. It is up to TurboTax to send me my money but when you try to contact them you never get to speak with a REPRESENTATIVE. It’s all some automated BS! Is there anyone out there that can help me with my situation?

Original review: March 9, 2018

After looking at both form 1040 instructions and compared that to the recommended deductions TurboTax gave me, I would have lost about $13,000 in deductions! Unbelievable! How can a company like this make such an obvious mistake in its calculations? I refuse to use TurboTax anymore and am convinced that they are doing this purposefully.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: March 8, 2018

My federal tax refund was deposited to my TurboTax prepaid card. I was able to make a withdraw in the amount of $1400, then was asked to verify my identity. I uploaded my ID and was told they couldn't verify my identity and will send the funds back to the IRS.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I'm so disgusted with TurboTax that I will never ever use them again. Every year the prices just keep going up and up, they sell you in by filing for free then nickel and dime every single thing. Especially at the end of filing is where they get you with fees. Now it's another 39.00 just to pay for the federal and state fees that they are already charging on top of it. 39.00 just to submit a payment through e-file. How ridiculous. A total of 130 dollars they tried charging me!!!

Original review: March 8, 2018

I just received my NOA today and was surprised that CRA found an error in federal tax credit calculation for donations and gifts. For the first time TurboTax failed me. I have been using this software for more than 10 years and will still continue to use, but, please fix your error. It is only a minor problem for me but other users might have a huge impact, hence loss/disappointment.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Do not ever use this service. Not only are they rude late and unprofessional but they also lie to you. It has been quite over a month I have been waiting for my card after ordering a 4th card. Then upon receiving the card my account is now locked and pending review. Every time you call it's always something else, I am exhausted fighting this battle. I have so many bills to pay and checks being deposited into this account that I cannot even access. Please do not bank or use Turbo prepaid, unless you would like to be a month behind your bills and picking a second job, with the amount of time you will be investing into fighting this battle it becomes a second job. I have so much more to say but let's just stop where we are for now.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I have been a TurboTax customer for 15 years and have seen the product get progressively better and better and especially for the past 10 years it has been so easy to use. The greatest feature was that TT provided help to the customer ON SCREEN right at the point in your taxes where you were stuck. Questions were answered in minutes and then you were done and on your way. And most of time, you didn't even need that help because the makers had created such good popup explanations and each page was so logical.

SO WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR? It's just like it is a different company and whomever revised it from last year hates customers and wants to punish them every step of the way. My taxes are easier than ever before and yet I could not get any help on one 1099-R item AND many, many of the pages were just a mess. They force the customer to either "ask the community," which means someone out there may or may not post a reply, and then the 'answer' is whatever that person thinks it should be. In other words, "Ask the Community" is just a shot in the dark. Your other choice is to PAY for this thing called "Expert Help."

I was SO desperate that I finally went to BUY the "Expert Help" that is an extra $60. Nowhere does TT inform the customer that they will ONLY offer you TELEPHONE help (live help is supposed to mean your choice of CHAT or phone) until AFTER you pay. I am hearing impaired. I then went through over two hours of searching the web to try to find a way to contact TT to tell them to reverse that charge and that they were false advertising AND that they were not ADA Compliant. Nowhere on the web is there any info about how to contact TT or Intuit except via telephone. And hearing damaged people do NOT have to own a TT in order to get help.

Hours later, out of complete desperation, I telephoned and informed the CSR that this was a one-way conversation and she needed to listen and take action via email with me. I can hear about every 3rd word so I caught enough to know she was refusing to help and she kept talking at me even though I continued to state she was not going to be able to have a two-way conversation and to please email me.

Sometime later, very much to my relief, someone at TT must have decided that they needed to step up to this problem. An email was sent telling me the charge was reversed and also that I could press and hold the Shift key and then press Enter on my keyboard and I would somehow enable an agent to be able to view my screen (so it's a kind of remote session). Those were the only instructions and even though the sender did not tell me to log into my TT account, seems like that must be required. I will try that later.

And all the reports about how they are trying to trick the customer into having to spend another $39.99 to have the TT fee taken out of the refund? Exactly correct. I read all their web pages over and over and over and could not determine that I was about to be billed until I arrived at the very last page where the "buy" button was. So long story short - something is really, really wrong with TurboTax starting for the 2017 tax year. I see many customers have stated the same thing. Sadly, I will now have to find another online service.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had been a TurboTax customer for 10 years. The past two years I have had nothing but problems. It culminated with them LOSING my entire completed tax return in their system and customer service accepted fault saying it was a "glitch" but they have no idea how to repair. I have come to find out that this is not an uncommon problem in their software, therefore if you do not want to have to repeat completing (think of the hours of work!) and filing your taxes DO NOT USE TURBOTAX.

To make matters worse, their customer service disconnected me numerous times, could help with nothing more than a new password reset, and had no supervisors that could help escalate the request. They are a complete disaster. The company is now unable to transfer any of my personal information to the 2017 return from 2016 (despite paying $69.99) and has advised me to just do it all again manually... like I would trust them not to lose it all again! Wish someone would have steered me away and used one of their competitors...

Original review: March 5, 2018

I called TurboTax about a problem with their tax program not transferring the amounts from T5008 statements to the schedule 3 and not included as income on the T1 General. They apologized for this issue but said they could not help me with this issue and could not refund the cost of the program.

Original review: March 5, 2018

The so called Deluxe version was easy enough to use and took about 3 hours to complete. What is a little shady in my opinion is that the version I purchased claims to have one state return included, but as soon as you go to file it there is a $39.99 fee that magically appears. Customer service stated that yes there is one return included but the filing is charged upon completion. If you put the purchase price and the hidden fee together you may as well ask a pro to do your taxes for you for around $200 and not waste a Sunday afternoon. I would think that TurboTax would be better served as a company to be upfront with the costs so its customers can make an informed decision. I will not be a repeat customer.

Original review: March 4, 2018

They advertise as free but it costs at least $40. That is the first way that they are sneaky. The second way is that once you add a product it seems like there is no way to delete it. I added a product I didn't want by accident and there was no way to delete it. That is the second way they are sneaky. The sneakiest thing they do is add a $40 charge if you deduct their fees from your refund. It used to be free but now they just put the charge in there at the last minute hoping you won't notice. They are also sneaky in the way that practically every other page is an offer for an upgrade and is designed in such a way as to make you search around for the button that says "no I don't want this". Avoid this company! I will look somewhere else next year.

Original review: March 4, 2018

Last year I had a much more complicated tax situation and sailed right through doing everything on TurboTax and it was great. This year, we are much less complicated not even mortgage interest but I am having trouble with their software, sometimes not accepting that I have finished with a section I don't need, it still says 'not started'. Then in trying to enter a small pension my husband received, all the info is there, I can't see anything wrong or not entered but every time I click 'continue' up pops a box saying I need to fix errors before continuing. I tried to request a call, my phone rang, I answered, and immediately this recording says they are sorry they weren't able to reach me today and this will be the final call I receive. Hmmm, no live text for asking what's up. Now what? I may just go to the IRS and get the forms, figure it myself?

Original review: March 4, 2018

I've used TurboTax for at least 10 years and always been satisfied but I found this year's version to be awful. Maybe because I used it online instead of downloading(?) I have no clue if that would have made a difference, but it was absolutely ridiculous trying to navigate back to sections; there was no clear path and if I found something it was through sheer luck. In addition, I paid extra because I sold my condo in 2017 and thought I might need extra help, but no extra help was to be found: I live overseas and have a different phone number format which could not be entered into the necessary field to contact the agent.

All in all I think I paid a whopping $267 to TurboTax for the "pleasure" of using their product yet my Federal taxes due were only $36 and I owed nothing on State. Oh--and then when they sent a questionnaire to find out how the experience was, they only ask one question. Ridiculous. I will continue to use TT but next year I'm not working from the online version.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have used TurboTax successfully for many years. This year something has happened. Before this year I was prompted to transformation from a previous year. This year there was no prompting just a start entering your information. It was frustrating to start and I slogged my way through. I wondered if I could open last years file and maybe use it with only the changes for this year. When I opened last year's file I was THEN prompted that they could not open it but asked If I wanted to transfer the information, which I did. As has been happening, my itemized deductions were more than the standard deduction. But now TurboTax is telling me that they are using the standard deduction instead. I have looked at the forms it creates and have found several discrepancies. I cannot change it manually and I am afraid my return will be messed up. Maybe I will just do it manually this year and see what I can do to get a refund.

Original review: March 3, 2018

First off, the website is quite buggy. On the summary page, it displayed two different refund amounts that were many hundreds of dollars apart. Second, using the Ubuntu operating system, I was unable to actually submit my filing. The submit button simply did not work. I had to login on my phone to submit my return, which was inconvenient and annoying. Lastly, DO NOT select the payment option that allows them to deduct their fee from your return. They very sneakily add an additional $39 fee to do this. Unless you read the fine print, you will miss this (I almost did!).

Original review: March 3, 2018

I logged into TurboTax today to start my 2017. It said "You joined Turbo tax this year" and there was no info on my previous returns (2015 and 16 were filed using TurboTax). After more than an hour on the phone, I was told I could not get access to my prior returns without paying $79 for my 2017 return. I believe this is borderline illegal.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Have used TurboTax since 09. Never a problem til 2018. Didn't have the option In filing status for head of household with dependent so checked single with dependent so not eligible for EIC or child credit tax left money on them. Had to amend thru IRS. Complicated and time consuming. That's why I used all those years the program. Didn't let computer idiots like me make mistakes. Will think about someone else next year.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I have been using TurboTax for 5 years. This year I didn't need to do Self Employed so I could have done the very basic version. It cost me about $50 more And paid $119.00. When I called customer service and spoke with James and explained him my issues, seemed he wasn't interested in helping me with the issues. Poor customer service. Next year I will be shopping around.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Horrible return time. It isn't free. You do not get your best refund back and I believe you should get sued for false advertising. This is literally the worst place I have did my taxes. I will not return next year.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I don't even know where to begin. 1) Avoid TurboTax. I started a free filing, then it went up and up and wound up being 76.98 to file my federal and State taxes. I don't get much back but just wanted them done and filed. My refund was deducted by 117.00 and not 76.98. My state taxes were rejected because they could not confirm my identity and needed my W-2s filed. I'm guessing TurboTax just skips that portion. They would not help when I called to let them know this. When I did call back 2nd time to TurboTax I got a 20 minute runaround so asked for a supervisor. No one is available but will call back in 24/48 hours. 50 hours later, no callback. My 3rd call now, no supervisor is available but will return my call.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Where is my refund? Let me know that my money was deposited on February 28. For some reason every time I check my card there’s no funds. This has never happened to me before and I filed for 10 years. My money is always on my card as soon as it’s released from the IRS. This is the first time I’ve used TurboTax prepaid card. I am very upset that they’re putting a hold on my money and not releasing it to me and when I call TurboTax prepaid card customer service they told me that the IRS has sent nothing. Lies! Really hard to believe when IRS shows me that they did. I will be letting everyone know to not use this service. Such a inconvenience.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I used TurboTax to file my 2016 tax return and it was easy to use so I decided to use it again to file my 2017 tax return. I elected to use the TurboTax Deluxe feature that was advertised as $39.99. I confirmed and agreed to pay that amount ($39.99) throughout my tax preparation online steps. However, at the very last step of me filing the tax return it said in very fine print an "additional $39.99 for refund processing fees! This fee was not very clearly labeled or explained as being DIFFERENT from the deluxe fee which is conveniently the exact same amount ($39.99) to deceive people into thinking they are once again only agreeing to pay a total of $39.99.

On the last page right before I clicked submit, it showed me a TOTAL of $42.63 ($39.99+tax; I have screenshots) to file my taxes. I agreed and clicked submit. AFTER my taxes were filed, I was shown an order summary that stated my refund will be deducted by $79.98 plus applicable sales tax. This new amount was never shown to me nor did I ever agree to pay this.

When I called customer service to clarify, the manager herself told me she only sees a charge of $42.63 for my account. However, I shared my screen with her and told her that on ANOTHER page, the Order Summary page, I was being deducted by $79.98+sales tax. And she said, "Yeah that's another 3rd party fee. We don't have anything to do with that." I was so frustrated after spending 2 hours getting through their customer service automated lines that the manager herself, candidly, was going in circles trying to explain the charges to me. I told her, "You cannot tell someone a TOTAL amount and then show them a different TOTAL amount after they have purchased. That's wrong and illegal." She kept going in circles. I'm very dissatisfied with TurboTax and would NOT recommend anyone to use their services ever. They charge you hidden fees after you submit your taxes and don't clarify charges or do refunds.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I did my income tax return with TurboTax and I choose the option for the TurboTax debit card. My return was scheduled for the 28th of February, I called the bank to check status on my return and they advised me that there was an offset on my return to call the IRS and figure it out. I did just that. I called the IRS twice and they reassured me that my funds were not offset, that the bank was holding my return! I called the number provided by the IRS for the Department of Treasury just to be sure and they said there were no offsets attached to my social. I called the bank back and they had the audacity to say that the Department of Treasury’s phone number was working and that was false information. I mean the IRS tracked my money to the bank. I’m at a loss and not sure what to do. Note to self never use TurboTax again.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I’ve used TurboTax for several years and find it an easy program to use. This year I elected to have the cost of the program deducted from my refund. The program cost $39.99, they charged an additional $36.99 to file the state return. Those fees I can understand but there was an additional $39.99 deducted for them to filter my return through a 3rd party to get their fees. This was not clearly explained. This is a ridiculous fee and I consider it double dipping as they charge fees and I do not recall an obvious page outlining these fees nor have I paid them in the past. The frustration of trying to get through their automated system is another example of a company NOT customer service oriented. I am done with this company and would never recommend them.

Original review: March 1, 2018

It appears, TurboTax continually recommends that you upgrade from a free tax filing to a paid package as you move along the process. They accomplish this by asking you a series financially related questions, then suggest the appropriate upgrade process for you (spouse included). I also understand that TurboTax is profit based company and their primary goal is to make a profit not provide charitable filing. That's ok. The problem is that TurboTax doesn't tell you about all the hidden fees at the end. Then they only give you an upfront package price, that's it. All other fees associated with upgrade filing are introduced at the end of the filing process.

However, at this time there is no way of backing out of the current process without starting your return over again. This creates a problem for customers who change their minds and wish to use a the FREE filing process. In order to use the FREE process all your (spouse included) pertinent information will have to be reentered manually. This includes W-2, SS#, child information, deductions, bank account information, and so on and so forth. This usually discourages customers from starting over and pushes them to complete the current process. It seems deceptive and dishonest, and unethical to say the least, to manipulate customers into a process for profit situation. I guess it makes sense if you're a company like big oil. But, to profit on the people's stress at tax time, shame on you.

Original review: March 1, 2018

My Husband's tax return through Turbo Tax was suppose to be put on the Green Dot Card. They said it was mailed on the 19th of February, we waited till yesterday and called and it said the card was returned because of an invalid address. I live here for 50 years. Called the Post Office, they said that they never return anything. Such a lie from the card. Number is 888-285-4169. Talked to somebody foreign there, said to send the card to different address, I said there is nothing wrong with this address. Then she said it will be sent by FEDEX and it will be here on Monday and she is waiving the $15.00 charge. The card was never sent, I'll tell you. Don't call the Green Dot card directly, they cut you off, even if your information is correct. Never again.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I paid for the expert tax representative call after trying over a dozen times to get the contact us to work. Each time it said an agent will be with you in xx number of minutes. They never responded during working hours. I paid extra to get a call and review from a tax expert at a set time. The FAQ answer says they WILL call at that time. No call. A call to the automated line. Assumed I was using the free version and wouldn’t let me go on without agreeing to pay ANOTHER $29.99. I finally found the number where I could wait real-time for an agent to be available. A FIFTY-FIVE minute wait! I gave up. I will NEVER use TurboTax again. What a SCAM!

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information