Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Intuit - TurboTax
3.47/5
Based on 1,872 ratings submitted in the last year

Intuit - TurboTax

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: April 3, 2017

Turbo broke their contract with us. They drained our account, triggering a domino effect when we were charged for other checks that arrived. We are disabled and without any money. A company rep told my fiance it never refunds fees. We will never again use TurboTax. The rep also TurboTax sends three emails before taking it fee. Not true. We didn't receive even one email. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm a PR and media specialist and am starting a media campaign to spread the word about TurboTax. If you have a similar TurboTax nightmare story, write me at **. I will have to verify your story is true before I can include it in a media alert. Thank you!

Original review: April 3, 2017

CONSUMERS BEWARE! TurboTax has always been my go-to tax program up until this moment. They dubiously charged me $39.99 extra (in addition to the $94.98 I was already being charged). They call it "Premium Service," but I did not want this service! The program does not allow you to deduct this charge unless you want to erase all the work you have just accomplished. You just lost all my respect TurboTax. I hope there is a class action lawsuit against your whole operation! CONSUMERS BEWARE!!!

Original review: April 1, 2017

I have been using TurboTax for years. It's pricey but since I'm a creature of habit I kept with it. Today when I attempted to complete my state taxes the information that gets transferred automatically from the federal return was wrong. The calculation of my return was completely wrong and I saw this immediately and contacted them by phone. I explained that my wages weren't transferred correctly and there was no way for me to correct or edit this. My state return would have been grossly incorrect. I was told to submit it anyway and the IRS would reject it. UM... What? This is their answer? They offered no help and therefore I was charged for both federal and state even though I had to cancel my state return and do them on paper. TurboTax lost a customer and I think the customer service is clueless. Don't use TurboTax.

Original review: April 1, 2017

I thought I was finished with my tax last night (after spending a few days at it). I had not filed yet but I did pay for it. This morning I wanted to review everything before I filed so I attempted that. But I made a mistake and removed a dependent. That caused my tax to be about $3,500 more. So I figured I would exit the browser and not save then pickup with this morning's data. But TT auto saved the mistake. Now when I re-add the dependent it is not recovering the original refund. TT should not autosave without first telling me it is doing that or it should save perhaps the last 3 saves and let me select which backup to restore.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I have used TurboTax for several years. I have tax filing experience back to the days of the pencil (several years retired now)! I have to say that they are good if you don't know what you're doing, just follow the questions. But I would like to at least view the forms because there are nuances that the questions DO NOT cover.

However, my problem is that they are so busy hyping all their extras, add-ons, and other products which show up at every turn in such proliferation and "busy" text that it is literally impossible to know what you are getting. It starts on the first page with "file FREE" which must be a lie. I clicked on the FREE button and ended up paying, to my surprise, $119 plus the FREE state return for $39. I am neither an idiot, uneducated, or stupid. I agree, somewhere I had to have clicked the wrong button but ** if I know where or when. You even have to go through several pages of questions and ads to get to the point where the return can be printed (58 pages, should have been about 8) or to view the return. I viewed it and used "file", "save" and saved it to the computer where I can print only what I want.

In the end there is a very confusing set of instructions on how to pay. That's where I saw the $119 + $39 cost. I was charged with the "self-employed" package. I do have some remains of a small business but the income was a paltry $136. And while I filled out the home office form there wasn't enough in it to change my taxes. It certainly wasn't enough to pay for the extra $59 it cost over the Deluxe package. Another cost added in a confusing manner is a 3(?) dollar cost to get your refund sent to your bank.

There is also a way to get the IRS to send refunds to your account at no cost but the way this all comes down is VERY confusing. I actually refused the offer to pay for TT from my refund and used my credit card instead because the text was so confusing. I just knew if I hit any "start" button I would be charged the $3 dollar fee for getting my $57 refund!!! I wonder how many were charged to have a TurboTax affiliate send it to their bank for a ridiculous fee?? I had a little problem with this last year but this year it was ridiculous. You're even bombarded with these "choices" each time you sign in to work on the taxes. I am very displeased and very disappointed. I won't use them again. I don't know who I'll use, maybe the free paper forms from the IRS, but NOT TurboTax! That's for sure!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: March 31, 2017

I've used TurboTax for 5 years and this year I've had it with the bait and switch fees. I understand the sell up process, but the way it's set up which makes it virtually impossible to remove the extra charges from your account as you're about to file is horrible customer service. You have lost mine business and the 6 other family members I prepare taxes for forever...

Original review: March 30, 2017

They charged me over 150 dollars for state tax when I thought it was free. I must have accidentally clicked on the many advertisements that come up on the screen when you file online. I didn't need advance services - I only took standard deductions. When I called to complain they told me to call back the next day and they would refund. (I then used FreeTaxUSA to file taxes - much easier!!) When I called TurboTax the next day they would not refund and it was too late to block payment! This is a surprising learning experience for me. Please don't use TurboTax.

Original review: March 30, 2017

I have never been so horrified by the mis-advertising and fraud of a company. TurboTax draws you in by saying "start for free." And they quote you a price, like "$59.99." The "start for free" is a perk for THEM, not the consumer--because for every day you are using the software, your price will go up. If you take 2 weeks to do your taxes, like I did, the price will increase to almost double ($95.99) without them ever informing you that the price will go up. What logic could possibly support them charging you when you stop using their software, instead of when you start using it? It's as though a restaurant charged you more at the end of the meal than when you sat down and ordered! It works entirely in their benefit--because you've already spent 8 hours filling in all your information, so you aren't going to stop and not pay to file. It's intentional false advertising and fraud and it's disgusting.

Original review: March 29, 2017

WTF are you people doing... I started using TurboTax (TT) in 2000 and have referred family & friends. I did my parents taxes last week and saw all the awful changes with the hidden fees being the worst change. I decided to do mine today and can't even get started the way I WANT. It forced me to download prior year which I never did because I don't mind entering that info again. It wouldn't let ME CHOOSE the type of filing or "help" I want which is how the fee was charged. But to force it and see something like $119 with no explanation as to what that is or why it was there was crazy. You may write the software but I still enter ALL my info. Their errors I found in doing my parents taxes raised a red flag but thought I'd try. I absolutely refuse to enter everything for 2-3 hrs to get to the end and see I have to pay $119 + $34 for you to just click a button to get me direct deposit. You have lost your ever loving mind.

I'm furious and absolutely FED UP with all the cost in the techie world. You corp execs created this monster of using technology to make things faster, more efficient, more accurate, and easier. There are less people actually doing taxes yet you more than tripled my fee. GREEEEEDDDD!!! You do taxes for thousands of people and have the gall to have hidden fees. I don't mind paying a fee of approx $20 and this is for the Online filing. I have never bought the software and have used the online filing at turbotax.com. You have lost a 16 yr customer with these antics. I sure hope your stock holders are happy because it seems that is all you are trying to please.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I began to prepare my taxes with TurboTax ** in February. I messed around and had a number wrong on 1 of my socials for one of my dependents but!!! Changed it asap after I saw the mistake and it was brought to my attention. Mind you it was sent in but I had to correct one # and it was sent in correctly. It's was supposed to take 21 days. How about it rejected... and TurboTax said it was accepted. It took for me to find out on my own. It was messed up and now I have to send it in by mail. While TurboTax still sending dumb ass emails talking about great job of these **. Knew it was ** up. Why send it anyway and then have a nerve to charge. Get the ** out of here.. I'm totally and beyond mad. My family and I need food and some help on bills. Guess we gonna get put out now. Thanks TurboTax And ** you.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I used TurboTax to file my Taxes. When I used them I elected to have the money for services taken out of my refund. There was a delay in getting my refund deposited. I received an email stating that my bank account would be drafted on or after 03/31/2017. I called Monday (03/272017) to ask that my payment of $116.97 be processed on 04/07. The representative I spoke to put me on hold for a total of 30 minutes four separate times. The 4th time I was put on hold I hung up on her because every time she came back on the line I stated I was just trying to have the payment processed on 04/07/2017 instead of 03/31/2017.

When I called back I was informed that the previous representative I spoke processed my payment!! I immediately asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor stated that I would need to dispute the transaction with my bank as the payment could not be reversed. When I called my bank they stated the merchant (TurboTax) would need to reverse the transaction.

Today I called back and spoke to a supervisor again. He stated my funds would be refunded within two to four weeks. I told him that was unacceptable as I only needed a week extension to make the payment and now it would take two to four weeks to have the money back that I needed. I asked to speak to his supervisor which he said he was out sick and I said "well I needed to speak to someone else." He put me on hold and then disconnected the call after several minutes. I have opened a fraudulent activity case against TurboTax with my bank as I seem to be getting nowhere with this company. TURBOTAX HAS LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER PERMANENTLY! I also have the calls recorded which I will be sharing my experiences online with this company.

Original review: March 28, 2017

TurboTax uses the .NET FRAMEWORK for loading the 2016 version. I have a downloaded copy and a DVD copy. Neither will load on a Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer. I have tried on two Windows 7 computers and one Windows 10. All are up to date on all patches and fixes. The TurboTax installer stops at 3% and reports four errors. The last one is that .NET FRAMEWORK is corrupted. On three computers. Of different ages but all working for other applications without a problem.

I will return both TurboTax versions. The last time I had to return an Intuit product (they tried billing for two copies) the only way was to contest the charge on my CC. They did not challenge the reversal. One hour with Intuit support and none of my computers "meet the requirements." In other words they have an error in their code using .NET FRAMEWORK.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I filed with TurboTax for 6 years. The first time I ever made an error while entering a w2 and turbo tax software didn't catch it. It allowed my return to be transmitted. Now 3 months later I find out that my federal withholdings were higher than my income on one W2. When turbotax shows they are checking for errors, it doesn't find them!! Now my return will have to be amended. This will delay my refund for another 4 months. TurboTax has no customer service.

When I called they told me it was my fault and their guarantee only covers their calculations. They are completely indifferent about the fact that they didn't find the error when checking for errors. When I said I wanted my fees returned the agent told me she would send me a email to file a claim. But before I could even fill out the claim I got another email telling me my case had been closed. Literally 3 minutes after getting the email to file a claim. Absolute nonsense. I will NEVER USE THIS SOFTWARE AGAIN!

Original review: March 26, 2017

I've been using TurboTax for about 12 years and, since my taxes are not that difficult, have not had a problem. That is until this year. I completed my taxes, I just file federal not state, and they said everything looked good. Then they made me purchase an audit defense package for $39.99 before I could either print out or electronic file my taxes. First time this has happened and for me, the last. I'll be looking elsewhere to do my taxes.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I was charged for state tax filing even though I only filed federal. Talked with customer support, who transferred me to a supervisor, who took 10+ minutes while I was patiently waiting on hold to try to find some fine print that you can't even get to while logged in. (He struggled to find it then told me to log out first, then I can find it.) That still didn't state that you would be charged for going through the questions to get to filing your federal taxes, even though that was pretty much unavoidable.

Despite me being polite and reasonable throughout the conversation, the moment he got on the phone with me he was rude, sarcastic and made quite a few very condescending remarks about how I'm unable to comprehend instructions on the website. I politely asked him to just show me where it says I would be charged if I didn't file state tax, but he ended the conversation by hanging up on me. I have honestly never experienced worse customer service. TurboTax and Intuit is definitely not about transparency or customer service at all. Very dishonest. Bait and switch. If you use them make sure you know if there are any issues, you are on your own.

Original review: March 24, 2017

FILING AN INCOME TAX RETURN WITH TURBOTAX IS ACTUALLY PAINFUL! TurboTax does not let us see the tax returns until after they are sent! Turbotax failed to enter a 2015 credit to my estimated tax to my 2016 return. As a result an amended return was required. I spent almost an hour with your representative before the matter was corrected... Then, I had to file an amended return.

When I tried to file the return, I was unable to print it!! Called TurboTax, the representative told me how to download the amended form 1040X... The download consisted of 58. Yes 58 pages most all having to do with "Terribletaxes" preparation of the return... There should have been no more than 9 pages. All TurboTax needed to do was to let the filer see the return before it was filed and a correction could have been instantly made without any need to file an amended return. Had I a choice between using TurboTax again or being hit by a semi truck, it would be less painful to choose the semi.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I had a few questions pertaining to the TurboTax software and tried to contact the company via telephone. I made several phone calls yesterday and today 3/24/17 and received the same message every time, "We are closed at the moment, our hours are 8:00AM and 12:00PM Monday through Friday, please call back again". I was calling on a Thursday and Friday between 8 and 12 and always received this message. I even went on the internet and requested a "callback" which was made however when the robo-call said it was transferring to the tax experts I was asked to press 3 if I no longer needed help otherwise remain on the call. This happened 3 times and I was ultimately hung up on. TurboTax has no in person support via phone or chat and is lying when it says it is available. I will probably, after using this product since 2003, will never use TurboTax again.

Original review: March 24, 2017

In 2015, I filed my federal and state taxes with TurboTax online. I paid their fees, they were deducted from my bank account, but to find out that the IRS REJECTED MY RETURN FOR 2015. I have been trying to file my 2016 return with TurboTax where I was able to speak to a representative to find out WHY THAT FILE WAS BEING REJECTED. Was advised I would have to file a paper claim and discuss with federal IRS.

However, I discovered my 2015 federal return was REJECTED and I was not notified by TURBO TAX ONLINE to this! So I have gone a YEAR not knowing this was an issue, however this years are too being rejected and the ISSUE IS YOU CAN'T CONTACT THEM TO FIND OUT WHY I WAS CHARGED FOR FILING WHEN IT WAS REJECTED A YEAR AGO!!! They do not make it simple for anyone to contact them! You have to pay some fee to reach them even though their bogus product isn't working!!! I should not have been charged in 2015 for a file that was rejected!

Original review: March 23, 2017

I hate to divorce TurboTax, I've used them for more than a decade but they have become too clever by half. They removed the "Print Center" from the 2016 CD version. As a result, I cannot print a complete copy of my 2016 return with all worksheets and backups. Perhaps, I'll never need them but my experience is that hard copies of significant documents are valuable. I just spent two hours visiting three customer service reps. Two had no idea of what they were doing; the third was very helpful but finally gave up. She could not find a answer even after asking other people. I don't need the aggravation of a product which is continually upgraded until many valuable features are left out. Goodbye TurboTax!

Original review: March 23, 2017

My wife and I spent hours on Sunday filling out all are information to file our taxes via (TURBOTAX PREMIER). We hit send and 3 of the 4 files went through. My Net File for Quebec has an XML error. We called customer support not once, not twice but three times without any resolution. All 3 times we were on the phone for up to 3 hours with no resolution in sight. All said we would be escalated which never happened. No call backs. We were even disconnected after 2 1/2 hours.

Needless to say we are frustrated as know we must file the return by regular mail which delays our return check. We are requesting a refund as we were unable to completely file and many hours were lost. Despite the agent attempting to figure out what the problem was, it was obvious the agents are alone at home working remotely with no support other than the same searches we see available online. This was our first attempt to file our taxes ourselves via a software and end up paying and still waiting as ours had no choice but to send in the mail. We are very disappointed on the process and product. Computer glitch we understand, zero resolution we don't. Please refund our credit card the full amount as the product did not deliver as advertised.

Original review: March 23, 2017

Filed my taxes with Turbo for the last two years. This year they tried to make me file twice. Made no sense to me because my taxes had already been accepted by IRS and approved. I emailed Turbo over a month ago and got no response. So I won't use them next year. Felt like a scam to me.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I'm an 18 year user/buyer of TurboTax software and extremely unhappy with the software this year. There is absolutely NO way to print a copy of my tax return prior to filing it no matter how hard I try. After working at this for an hour I still come up short, and I am not about to file my returns without double checking them in hard copy. I am also unable to get any help online - all the responses lead to dead ends, and one cannot contact Intuit directly about this problem, either.

My husband is a software genius so I will have to wait for him to help me figure this out, but this situation has me so frustrated I've decided not to buy TurboTax again. I'm done. The print problem is the icing on the cake for me... The software used to be so flexible I could work my way through it without any problems, but that's changed also - I've had to struggle to review entries I've made in order to verify them. Unacceptable. Confusing software, no print option, crappy online Help service, NO corporate help site adds up to apathy on Intuit's part. I will take my business to their competitors and be very happy about it.

Original review: March 21, 2017

2 issues with TurboTax. First, the price for the deluxe edition changed during the week that I was filing. I did not file in one day (which I will no attempt to do from now on). It almost doubled in price, with very explanation and no notice from the company. Second, I was duped into connecting federal and state at the very end of the process. It was my fault for going too fast, but there was no way to go back. It cost $40!!! For something that would take 5 minutes. I called and the man I talked to did not sound concerned at all. Luckily, I can scrap everything and start over with a different company. Turbotax is sleazy.

Original review: March 21, 2017

My refunds were rejected although the status on Turbo Tax said my return was fine. When I called to see what the problem was the agent actually asked me if I knew where to check the info because she didn't. Also Kristin, the Supervisor in the Melbourne, Fla office kept telling me it was the IRS and I should call them. I did - and the answer was TURBO TAX had screwed up my return. NOT WORTH THE MONEY I SAVED - the IRS said TURBO TAX was setting me up for an audit the way they filed.

Original review: March 21, 2017

I have been a TurboTax user for over 10 years. My past experience has always been great. This year however is a different story. I prepared my taxes and e-filed. A few weeks later I discovered that I had made an HSA contribution myself (not thru payroll). I went back to amend my return. TurboTax recommends that you compare your submitted return to TurboTax file (which I found interesting since I figured they would be the same). But, when I did the state amount balance due was different. I called TurboTax support and the first rep told me that a previous update had made a change and that they would prepare and issue an update to correct the error within the next 2 days.

It has now been over a week. I have called them multiple times getting different responses and still the problem is not fixed. I can't amend my return since the state has a different submitted amount and approved return on file than what TurboTax on my computer now shows. If this does not get corrected. I also would have incorrect information to roll over for next year's filing. Although I have been a long time user of TurboTax this has caused me to reconsider and will probably not use them in the future. Tax Filers need to beware and always compare what TurboTax submitted to Federal and State and what after the fact is showing up in their saved file after multiple TurboTax updates.

Original review: March 20, 2017

This company is deceitful and their customer service is awful. Their software didn't even work to upload my prior Tax information, and while they made it seem as if I was being given an "option" to have the TurboTax charge taken out of my refund, they charged me $35.00 without making it clear. Then when you call "customer service" (who are not even helpful except to help TurboTax con people), all they do is take a lot of time explaining why they charged $111.00 dollars for something that should have basically been free. They have no intention of helping anyone or addressing reasonable complaints.

I will NEVER use this company again. If they are so confident in their services, they should make the total charges very clear, but instead they make it extremely vague and therefore, when you think you have only selected one package for one price, and they don't show you what the total charges will be, it's easy to hit "accept". I have no doubt Turbo Tax will lose a lot of money and a lot of good customers due to their scam approach. DO NOT USE THEM.

Original review: March 19, 2017

It happened twice. I was almost finished with my taxes and my computer froze. When I went back to TurboTax I had to start over. The second time it happened I asked Turbotax for help. It claimed that each section is saved before I go to the next section. NOT TRUE.

Original review: March 18, 2017

I purchased the TurboTax CD, installed it on my computer and began my returns. I was unable to file them because TurboTax said the 2016 forms were not finalized and an update would be sent when they were available. I received the update and installed it and have not been able to open TurboTax since. I've called customer service and spent hours on the phone while the rep Googled my issue, giving me ridiculous things to try and do to fix it. I was supposed to get a call back from a second line rep and never heard back. I called to follow up and my case was closed. I had to start all over, spend another 3 hours on the phone and get a new case number. Same exact thing. I'm guessing they don't have a fix for the issue and rather than be honest and deal with it (and offer me a refund), they just keep closing out my case. I guess they figure I'll eventually give up.

They win! I'm done! My time is worth more than the $60 it cost me. I will NEVER use them again and I highly recommend others don't either! I cannot tell you how much time I have wasted all because there is some sort of error with their update. Such horrible customer service and shady business practices. They should be shut down. I'm disgusted. I wish I would have seen these reviews before I purchased it.

Original review: March 18, 2017

I prepared my taxes a couple of weeks ago and it was free. I tried to use the same program to prepare a friend's taxes. This time it cost me 104.00 to prepare the taxes for my friend without the authorization to bill my card that amount. I tried to complain to the support number listed and spoke with an agent and she simply told me there was nothing they could do since the Federal had already been filed. She tell me that if I had called prior then I could had avoided all the extra. I found their prices to be misleading and was trying to avoid the high fees of having them be prepared by a CPA instead I got bamboozled by misleading fee and stuff illustrated on the site. I would definitely not recommend this product. No stars are deserved.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I will NEVER use them again, although I have used them for several years. Their crap Deluxe program this year did not allow me to go back and edit work I did the day before. I saved it, but the disc did not save it to an extent I could work more on it at another sitting. I had to redo another 6 hours and another return because their product could not do it!!! Then try and call customer support!! What a joke... It would be easier talking to someone overseas that did not speak English. TurboTax is not what it used to be and I hope they fix it or GO OUT OF BUSINESS.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information