Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have used TurboTax every year since 1994 but this year is the last. I could forgive the occasional errors which force me to go to the forms to override its calculations. What makes me no longer willing to be a customer of Intuit is the repeated hidden upcharges which do not become apparent until I am well into completing my return. Another year it was downgrading the versions so that customers had to buy a more expensive piece of software to do the same return as the year before. This year it is again using the state tax returns to gouge customers who already have their federal return completed.

In the past I had gotten used to paying extra to do two state tax returns (I live in one state and work in another) although I didn't understand the charge since all the state returns were on the disk when I bought it. This year, though, because I do returns for family members, it is charging me for an extra state return for the SAME state I have already downloaded. This means I have to pay for TWO extra states since I still live in one state and work in another, and used my "free" state return on the family member.

Paying for the extra state is not just a small nuisance charge but costs $44.99 PER STATE, as much as the original package cost to buy at Costco. Nowhere on the package or in TurboTax advertising is this hidden price increase disclosed. I am determined not to set myself up for any future hidden upcharges by ever buying Intuit products again (I also object to having to pay for a new version of Quicken every three years just to keep using the same software I already paid for several times).

Original review: April 13, 2018

This is the first year I have attempted to use Turbotax after having done paper returns my whole life. On their site I have put in deductions that were supposed to reduce my taxes and yet they did not. I can not look at my actual IRS returns until I have paid the fee which includes all kinds of upgrades. I was perfectly ready to file with them but there was no way I was going to pay when I knew they had made a mistake, at least one. Now I do not know what to do. Oh, yes I do. I'm going to print up the IRS forms and do it the old-fashioned way where I have complete control over what is being sent to the IRS. I recommend staying away from this mess.

Original review: April 13, 2018

TurboTax has been completely redesigned in 2018 for the worse. You can no longer go directly to a section to let's say enter Schedule C deductions, now you have to submit to the interview process which takes a lifetime. There used to be an option to "proceed on my own". No longer. Get in line and do the interview. Want to go back and change something? Do the interview. I have done my taxes on TurboTax for 20 years. Sad to say goodbye, but I don't have the time to 'do the interview'.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Was using TurboTax online. Got all the way to the end and they wouldn't complete my taxes unless I pay 29.99. They didn't even get my tax return right. Said I was only getting $55 refund and wanted 29.99 of it. False advertising. TurboTax is not free. Now they have all my info. Really pissed off. I hope they shut this company down.

Original review: April 12, 2018

BUYER BEWARE!!! TurboTax advertises that they are free but once you have input all of your data they then inform you that the free version is no longer available and you will be charged $29.99. When you complete your order the amount they say you owe is now $39.99. After completing the purchase they actually charged $59.99. No products were added on my end but somehow they slip in extra products and charges and there is no way to take them off your bill. Speaking with the "help" representative for one hour was a complete waste of time. When Arthur finally told me that there was nothing that he could do, he said a supervisor would call me back within the hour. 24 hours later and I'm still waiting for that call.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: April 12, 2018

TurboTax makes it very easy to accidentally add features to your service which cost money to the consumer. The checkout process is not transparent and twice in one session I noticed additional services I was unaware of included in my bill. After being on the phone for a few hours to get refunded for these additional features I did not want, I asked the representative to walk me through the checkout process. Had I followed their instructions exactly, I would have ended up having the same unwanted features added to my bill. The checkout process is so misleading even TurboTax’s own representative almost fell in the same trap as they walked me through it. TurboTax is relying on these immoral business practices to maximize profits.

Original review: April 12, 2018

When I filed my returns using TurboTax website, I was charged certain amount. It did not show any sales tax break-up. I paid using my debit card. Later when I checked my bank account, it has deducted more than the amount printed on the receipt generated when I made the payment online. I contacted TurboTax to clarify this and they said that there are sales taxes added on top of the bill amount. I asked them to issue me an accurate receipt showing the base price and tax break ups. They said they cannot produce such a receipt. It is ridiculous for a Tax professional company to say that they cannot show tax break up on their receipts.

When I told them that I'm going to make complaint about it to the authorities, they offered to refund the extra amount charged towards taxes. But I have to wait for three weeks for the refund to show up on my account. It sounds suspicious and fraudulent for a Tax Professional company that they cannot produce a receipt with taxes shown accurately on their receipts.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I've used TurboTax for many years. I've used for business expense, capital loss, etc., and it has always been easy. This year was a nightmare from the beginning. It did not pick up my information from last year. It displayed $1296.00 that I owe the federal government plus the dollar amount of my penalty--when I always get a refund. I had to manually enter information regarding long-term capital loss on schedule D. Several times I had to go to 2016 return (my computer and their website) for information. Furthermore, this year was twice as expensive purchase versus other years. I may not use TurboTax in the future.

Original review: April 11, 2018

TurboTax advertises as free. It only becomes apparent that this is not the case once you get a long way into completing the forms. I filled the forms in accurately and double-checked them. TurboTax told us to expect a big refund however there was a big discrepancy in the state withholding they submitted and the figure that could be verified by state tax dept. This meant the refund was significantly smaller than stated.

I phoned TurboTax to query. The staff were all polite but clueless and kept trying to transfer me resulting in callbacks, so the whole thing has taken over 2 hours and I have no answer. I asked for a refund of TurboTax fees. They say they do not give refunds for online submissions. In other countries it is illegal to sell a product that is not fit for purpose - I guess America is different. I asked for their complaints department. The man said they do not have one but he would send me a survey form. He has not done so. I will not be using TurboTax ever again.

Original review: April 11, 2018

5-year user. Purchased TurboTax Home & Business again this year (for 2017 tax returns ~$90). Finished my taxes, but wait. TurboTax tries to charge me another $45 to complete my state returns (though clearly covered in the original purchase price). Worse, says, call customer service to get my State Certification Number. The nightmare now truly begins. Spent an hour politely explain a very basic thing, SW asking for a conf number on a specific page, with a specific ID number for support. One hour later with their tech team on the other line, #fail.

Once the conf number they provided didn't work, I was hung up on. Worse, the case number I was given then doesn't associate my name with the case and will not let me talk to anyone. Yet even worse, suddenly my account password is changed (same time) and I can't login to my account. Very strange timing TurboTax team... Can't get into support. Can't contact them in any way that is meaningful. No choice but to pay their, in effect, ransom-ware and hope I can actually print out my returns. So ripoff and incompetent??? Fair?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I attempted to file my taxes with TurboTax. When I got to the end where you pay, I selected the option to have the cost of the software deducted from my refund. On the next screen, I realized that I would be charged an extra $44.95 for this service, which is ridiculous, so I went back and paid with my credit card. Guess what? They charged me this fee anyway! I called TurboTax, and the rep told me there was nothing she could do - no refunds. I hadn't even electronically filed my return yet. So, I called my credit card company. They weren't able to help me because the charge was pending. I'd have to wait until it posted to file a dispute, which could take weeks to be resolved. I then called TurboTax back and said "I'd like to speak with a supervisor, please". The rep I spoke with, Ed, didn't let me speak to a supervisor, but she actually did help me. She put me on hold and processed a refund, which she said I should see in a few days.

Ed is the reason I am rating this with 2 stars. Otherwise, I would give 0. TurboTax has changed. I've been using it for years, but now the price has gone up, and there are hidden fees. Next year, we will be using different software. Goodbye, TurboTax! You've lost a loyal customer (since 1998). Ed, if you're reading this, call me. I'd like to offer you a job. TurboTax doesn't deserve you.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I will not use Intuit TurboTax again. I used them last year but did not have my previous log in information. They could not use my personal info to find my old account. Therefore I could not provide last year's AGI and they could not e-file for me. I had to print out my return to send in to IRS. I use my printer very often and it prints everything on the page; but, it printed the return they provided with all the numbers on the right cut off. I had to fill it all in with a pen. I'll likely be audited. I do not expect that they will help with that (no matter what they say). Also, I had a 1099 and W-2; which made me have to upgrade from free to $60. As for the expert helper...well that costs extra too. Don't get fooled by the cute commercials.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Tried to import file from QuickBooks to TurboTax. Intuit is the parent company of both brands. The payroll expense went from a positive number to a negative number. First CSR did a screen share, placed me on hold and then told me there was a known glitch. Transferred me to the department where I got a message that due to longer hold times, they would call me back. When I got a callback, that CSR had no clue, went through everything again and after a 50 plus minute call was told, sometimes things just don't work as advertised and that I needed to manually correct the errors.

My question is, why should I verify every entry and manually correct the errors on a tax return that is 157 pages long with all of the worksheets when I paid a company for a program that was designed to do that? I will never use TurboTax again. This is the second major issue I had with TurboTax and each time, they acted as if it was the first time it has ever happened. Surely I cannot be the only person in the world that uses TurboTax and QuickBooks that had the same problem. Guess what, just got cut off again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have used TurboTax in the past and thought that they were pretty good. But this year because I sometimes substitute teach for a company that hires substitutes for charter schools and uses a 1099 form it’s not free! That is a SCAM! I had to pay $60.00! I do not own my own business; it's just that they don't take out our taxes. I owed the IRS money from last year 2016 because of this so my refund was eaten up! Had I known that I would have done it on my own!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I had been a TurboTax user for years before encountering any significant difficulties. Last year, I was unable to file electronically (the transmission kept "cancelling") and no one at TurboTax was able to offer any assistance. So, the returns were printed and submitted. This year, not only does each attempted transmission fail as a "cancel", but I am unable to print the returns through any possible route. Any attempt to print crashes the program. Save to pdf and then print? Would love to, but the message I get is "Nothing to Print. It seems some problem [sic] while retrieving print list details for Returns".

Tried Customer Support. In my three attempts, (1) the first one disconnected me, (2) very concerned but said she had never heard about the issues; tried to remedy them (failed), then closed the help ticket as completed after saying she would keep working on it, (3) said she had in front of her "pages and pages" of complaints about these same issues, but all she could offer were suggested workarounds that other users developed, none of which worked for me. A supervisor is supposed to call me back, but I'm still waiting.

Out of curiosity I tried printing my 2016 return and there were no problems at all. So, it would appear clear that the problem is with the programming in the 2017 software. TurboTax knows about it and doesn't seem to be throwing any resources at the issue, instead relying on the users who PAID for its software to come up with their own individual workarounds. Because I am unable to generate or file my returns any other way, I am now reduced to printing out blank forms from the IRS website and will be spending the day manually transferring all of the information from the TurboTax forms. Would have given TurboTax no stars if that were possible.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been faithfully using TurboTax since it came out. Last year my husband died and now I have our taxes to do. The last thing that I did was an 8606 form for a non-deductible IRA. The program can't complete that form so I called and was on the phone for hours. My only recourse is to not file the form and pay taxes on $111,796 when I take the money out or send back the program to TurboTax. If I don't file my taxes with TurboTax it will cost me thousands of dollars to have an accountant do my taxes. I can't be the only person who has inherited an IRA. I am very disappointed with the company.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Preparing a long form tax return. We were told the cheapest would be $29.95 and we agreed. No problem, at the end and before sending the return to the IRS we elected to pay the $29.95 out of our return to TurboTax. Sounds good and convince, no problem, but here's what they did without telling us this would happen: they charged us $39.95 for the option of paying them via our return + the $29.95 for a total of $69.90 for the service, could have it done cheaper at Walmart. Never again.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I itemize my deductions but I don't have a very complex return so I thought, why pay someone to do my return when TurboTax is free? Read the fine print - it is NOT free for a lot of users if you itemize or have more than one state return. I used TurboTax for my 2014-2016 returns and unfortunately counted a deduction twice (a tax I pay) because of the way the question was worded. TurboTax imported the information from one year to the next, so I didn't catch the error, but the IRS did. I got a back bill for 3 years of returns including penalties and interest. All told, that cost me $2500. I would have owed the IRS about $400 for each year had it been caught at the time. TurboTax charged me about $150 to file my returns (2 states and a federal). That's the same price that I pay a CPA. I'll never go back to TurboTax again.

Original review: April 8, 2018

This website advertises itself as free and is not. In the terms and conditions it says free subject to change without a notice. Well, it is never free. No matter what, by the end it makes you pay money. Additionally, for state taxes it costs $30 PER STATE. This is ridiculous and a scam to take your money from you.

Original review: April 7, 2018

I have been using TurboTax for 17 years. I purchased the CD (TurboTax Online Version Deluxe) this year and found that I could not use it on my PC (no warning that it no longer worked on a Vista machine). Spend 2 hours on the phone with TurboTax asking what were my options. At that time they told me to try and return the software and proceed with online version. They did not tell me that I would have to pay extra for filing state taxes (I never e-filed as it cost extra, just printed and mailed.) They also did not tell me that I would only have 1 federal filing and not the usual 5. This is very shaky underhanded business practices to gain more money. They are now increasing my fee from $60.00 per year to $200 per year. Is there any class action suit I can join about their bad and underhanded business practices?

Original review: April 6, 2018

TurboTax 2017 - Unstable and CPU heavy with Quickbooks open. Does not have an autosave function. Really? So WHEN it does crash you better hope you've been hitting the save button! Market share always trumps quality.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I just got ripped off for $29 dollars by these losers. I had to pay for state but when it came time to file, they wouldn't let me file and kept running me in circles on their site. Of course when you want to call there is no phone number to be found. I am deeply disappointed that these bunch of clowns find screwing people over filing taxes as a great way to scam a profit. They are disgusting and despicable people. Never again TurboClowns. Do not use. Do not use. Do not use.

Original review: April 6, 2018

All I need is a 1040 EZ form. No deductions, own my house, no mortgage. They want $79 Fed filing and 39.99 Cali. I'm getting forms from the library and mailing it in. Save myself a ton. Bye Turbo. You lost my business.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I've prepared my own taxes for decades, since way before Intuit and TurboTax existed. I find that the instructions are obtuse and vague enough in some areas to be confusing, but I use it anyway. I don't like the fact that you can't view the Form 1040 as you fill it out and the fact that you can't view the finished product until the very end. I buy a copy of the "Deluxe" version at Costco and load it onto my PC. I file Federal for free and pay $19.99 to file the state. I never pay any additional fees, and I never use Direct Deposit. I would like to be able to have an open window showing the Form 1040 as I go step-by-step while completing the form.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Have used Turbotax for years. Always get a refund and e-file both Federal and state (have to pay to e-file state). This year we got an unexpected large payment which did not have taxes taken out. We owe taxes. Went to e-file Federal and was told I can e-file state for an additional $29.99. The best thing to do. Since we owe state taxes we will just send in the form with payment. At that point we could not complete the Federal return. It kick me out and said there was a glitch. We have to do an update and then try e-filing again or file by sending in the form. I paid for this to be done by this software. Called Turbotax and was told it will take them from now to 7 days to figure it out. I had just updated the program (as told to yesterday). The tech we talked to said an update request comes up automatically. This I would not pay extra money. I can not e-file my Federal Taxes.

Original review: April 5, 2018

TurboTax seems to be free to only those with the basic return. Had a W2-G gambling win form and had to upgrade to the 59.99 TurboTax in order to file it. What a rip off. There was also a problem with a blank box on that form that needed to be resolved. Do you think you get live help chat for that extra $60. Nope. You get to search for your question and find answers that other TurboTax users have added. Next year if back to filing by mail or finding another online service that is truly free.

Original review: April 5, 2018

TurboTax is not upfront with all their fee. After I complained their response didn't even add up correctly. They charged me $69.99 (which I didn't know I would be paying). Basic was $49 something plus $39.99 bank fee. What. Are you kidding me. If I knew that I never would have processed to my back. BEWARE OF THEIR HIDDEN FEE AND DECEPTION!! DO NOT USE THEM. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS. DON'T LET TURBOTAX RIP YOU OFF.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I have now called and talked to over 16 so called "experts" at this company to have them be rude to me and the last one a manager hang up on me. They have given me conflicting information over what should be a simple issue. I have spent more than 20 hours on the phone over the past two weeks trying to file my taxes with this company only to have one of the worse experiences ever. Do not use this company. I paid for the services and I still can't file the taxes this year and it appears I'm going to now have to find another way to file my taxes before time runs out. The worse service I have ever received from any company!

Original review: April 4, 2018

Highly deceptive business practices. Was using their online free version in March 2018 for filing 2017 taxes, knowing in advance that I would pay $29 for state filing. TurboTax attempted to force me to upgrade to their Deluxe version for $59, even though I used their screening tool at the beginning to determine appropriate versions to use.

As a first-year retiree, I had no deductions, only income as stated on W-2 and 1099-R forms. The screening tool advised that the free version was a legitimate option based on my tax status so I went through the entire filing process including entering highly sensitive personal and tax information. Was not flagged that the free version did not cover income from 1099 forms until the very end, even though this information was entered in the beginning of the data entry and import processes. I have been a TurboTax customer since at least 2010 with saved PDF files to prove it but received no assist from TurboTax after two calls to their customer service line. I deleted my online TurboTax return and instead are going with an IRS recommended free tax software vendor. TurboTax just lost a lifetime customer.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Used TurboTax in the past and it was fast and easy and free. This year I just finally gave up and bought the maximum package just to get it done. I will no longer use TurboTax in the future. Not sure why they changed.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information