Get matched with the best Tax Relief company for you!

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

Intuit - TurboTax
3.45/5
Based on 1,874 ratings submitted in the last year

Intuit - TurboTax

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: April 30, 2017

I filed my income tax return with Turbo Tax, as I have done for the past 5 years. I compiled all relevant information and before filing I tried the "Optimize Pension Splitting" option. I got a response which I didn't find interesting, and given the options "Accept and continue" or "Continue" I chose the latter. Well, I actually DID get the pension splitting. I tried everything possible but couldn't undo. I called Turbo Tax and was talking to a lady for 90' who couldn't undo it either. She said I had to start all over again. BUT, they wouldn't refund my $62, I had to start again AND repay. I'll never use Turbo Tax again. I wasted one day and $62 of my life on a lousy software and a lousy company.

Original review: April 28, 2017

TurboTax charged me additional funds at the end of filing. That's not the bad part. They used my account info given to deposit my refund to charge me additional fees that I had only given them permission to subtract from my refund. Unfortunately I had to wait 48 hours to discuss this with a manager. I was given 21 days to call in with my payment. They not only withdrew the fee once but twice causing my account to be in the negative. I can say one good thing about this company. They are nice to you while stealing your money.

Original review: April 27, 2017

I filed with TurboTax this year and what a complete disaster. They said it would cost 78.25 for the package. I agreed and I have a print-out sheet saying this amount will be deducted. Come to find out they took a total of 114.00. Never again will I ever use them. And trying to talk to them was fruitless... All I can say is do not ever use them or Santa Barbara Bank, which they had been sitting on my money since the 18th, and was never notified. TurboTax did absolutely nothing to deserve 114.00 of my money. Beware of them and their hidden fees... company is crap.

Original review: April 25, 2017

My review/experience with TurboTax. Good: Price: For what it is I'd say the price is great. CPA: The idea that you have one at this price is awesome. Desktop: Having the program to save various scenarios is extremely valuable. I'd recommend it just for this reason. Furthermore this program has a lot of very nice features in it and has a lot of good referenceable information. So this is very much a good idea just to be able to play with your numbers, save, and make another new scenario.

Bad: Contacting: More often than not I can get through, they need my email on my profile that won't verify. Not sure why as my email hasn't changed, but without verification I can't get a support code, without support code the system often won't let me talk to anyone. Not sure why this is a problem, however this needs to be addressed.

Filing: Federal filed nicely and paid as it was supposed to. Whereas State Tax boot looped and took over an hour to figure out the right combination to get the form to submit. This is forgivable as it was addressed, and fixed. What didn't work was paying the IRS and then being told to give it time. The program never paid out. Verified that with the IRS resulting in a fine. Had I waited as told this would have been a bigger penalty and I doubt TurboTax will pay for my penalty.

Technical issue: Time lost (cost 5 hrs trying to fix program boot loop, being on hold). Charged twice: Charged twice for State Tax form. They tried to refund me but that did work out... I gave up and will likely hire a CPA this year just based on the hold time and inability to speak with the TurboTax CPA. Kind of makes that feature pointless when you can't get through and spend hours trying. Time-wise it's just better to get yourself a CPA. This would be one charge, little to no hold time, and you get everything you expect (or should). Conclusion: Having the program to work with is worth it, but for the amount of time I spent trying to finish things I could have easily just paid a CPA. So buying this program isn't a bad idea at all. But I wouldn't recommend actually relying on it for one's taxes.

Original review: April 19, 2017

I tried TurboTax several years ago when I had one simple W2. I filed free, spoke to an agent when I had a question and thought it was ok. So, when I had to wait until the last minute because I didn't receive several W2s, I decided to just use TurboTax since I already had an account with them. First, they keep trying to trick you into paying for upgrades with pop-ups and promises of live agents, etc. When I successfully navigated through to free version, I was looped around transportation expenses several times because they have incorrect wording. "Did you sell or stop using vehicle for business in 2016?" I didn't sell. But their software only gives follow-up questions for sale/depreciation.

I tried to just not bother to claim my expenses but my only options were: Start over. From scratch. Or pay $54.99+$35.99 for Deluxe, because vehicle sale required an additional form - I DID NOT SELL MY CAR! Since Deluxe included speaking to an agent and I didn't know if I could start over and not have the same or another glitch - I paid. Now try to find any possible way to contact that promised agent! No phone number - actually they give the IRS phone number only! And no chat option!!! Just looping endlessly through their ridiculous customer question forums! If I wanted Tax advice from another confused taxpayer - I have friends and family!!! I made $7000 all year! I live below poverty and TurboTax gets paid to screw up a return that I could have done alone!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit?

Original review: April 19, 2017

TurboTax Premier 2016 will not allow me to file my state tax returns. When I get to the screen that states "Let's Complete Your Purchase Online" it freezes. None of the suggestions on the TurboTax.com site are of any help. In addition, I thought filing both the federal and state taxes were included in the cost of the Premier addition. Found out only the Federal filing is free. The state filing is $24.00. But even grudgingly accepting that I had to pay for filing the state return the program just freezes. Extremely frustrating and a waste of time. I see from my research TurboTax had the same issue last year.

Original review: April 18, 2017

WARNING!!! I signed up for TurboTax's "Federal Free Edition" and "State Additional $29.99" e-filing of my taxes. They Bait & Switched me at check-out/just prior to filing... with A WHOPPING $169.96 in charges!!! I was completely unable to alter/change these bogus add-on charges online, despite several hours of frantically trying to fix these overcharges & attempting to contact TurboTax company via message, email, phone, online contact, posting messages on TurboTax's online message board, etc. OUTRAGEOUS, premeditated, CRIMINAL THEFT for tax filing. DO NOT EVER USE TURBOTAX OR INTUIT SERVICES!!! DO NOT USE!!! WARNING!!

Also, Turbotax REQUESTED MY PERMISSION to send my personal info to their partner, "IDnotify", a part of EXPERIAN. IDnotify's parent company is "CSIDENTITY CORP", a company with EXTREMELY TERRIBLE CUSTOMER REVIEWS. I did NOT ask for, nor want TurboTax's Deluxe filing nor their "Max Benefit" filing. I sure as heck DO NOT want my personal information shared with EXPERIAN, IDnotify, CSIDENTIFY CORP, nor anywhere else on the internet!!! Do you??? I then read MANY, many similar TurboTax tax filing nightmare reviews on Consumer Affairs/internet & wish I'd never started filing with Intuit's TurboTax!!! HUGE RIP-OFF!! I will never use TurboTax again!! Do not use! Do not use! DO NOT USE TURBOTAX!!!

Original review: April 18, 2017

Somehow, TurboTax found a way to make my 1040-EZ incredibly difficult and painful. I will NEVER use TurboTax again and I recommend you don't either. They were slightly cheaper than the alternative, but ended up costing me time, and an extra $308.00 that they accidentally duped me into paying for NEXT year's POSSIBLE taxes that I MIGHT owe (by the end of next year). When I called to complain, the lady said she was sorry they messed up. Then a long awkward silence - didn't offer to refund the money I paid THEM to screw up my taxes.

Original review: April 18, 2017

Worst customer service ever, never filing my taxes here again. Called asking for help and they just kept transferring me to another person who doesn't know. Apparently no one knows what they're doing there. So stressful, now I know never to do it on TurboTax.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I have used this software to complete our returns for several years. You used to just pay the software fee and as long as you were filing electronically there were no additional costs. Now you pay for the software, you pay to file and you pay a "convenience fee" of 2.4% to use your credit card to pay the IRS (if you owe vs. receiving a refund). They also don't provide all of the schedules in your pdf anymore. Last year our return was approx 130 pages... this year it was 12 pages and 4 of those included estimated tax forms for this year to send with estimated tax payments should we choose to do so. This is unfortunate as we plan to have our taxes done by an accountant next year. We clearly didn't save any money doing it ourselves and I will be happy to not have the headache next year.

Original review: April 18, 2017

THE FEES! I was charged over $100 after all the service fees and upsales. In the end I wasn't even able to file. Hoping my bank will reverse the charges. TurboTax is gifted in the art of ripping people off. Avoid the headaches and fees, don't use TurboTax.

Original review: April 18, 2017

When I began with TurboTax almost 10 years ago, the product was simple, intuitive, and very useful. However, starting with the second year, it's been one problem after another. TurboTax has gotten manipulative and sneaky about how they validate their charges. In the beginning, no charge was made without you selecting to add a new version or charge. Now, charges are added willy nilly without your express consent. TurboTax is supposed to for non-accountant types and they are doing all they can to sneak by you with fees. When you request explanation, it's because "Well, you have this income, so you need this new form. This new form means an upgrade." That may make you money because people don't bother to look into it, but it's poor business if you want to keep customers.

This year was the worst for me. I was "upgraded" multiple times for no reason. I spoke with an "expert" 3 times and 2 out of 3 told me I didn't need the version I was being given while the third wasn't sure. In addition, while kind and they were less than helpful. They didn't seem to know much. I don't think I will be using this program again next year and I definitely will not be recommending it any longer.

Original review: April 18, 2017

The Federal "free" edition is only free if you don't itemize. If you don't itemize, why do you need Turbo Tax to figure your taxes? If you do the free edition, all your info is in their server, and servers can be hacked. Might as well just download the IRS forms and get out a pencil. If you do itemize, the cost is actually reasonable if you don't add the state tax return. You can download your state's forms and fill them in using the numbers from your Turbo Tax forms. And there's no need for the CD if you do your return online. Saves you lots of $$. And if you don't sign up for the help with an audit that you probably won't need you save more $$. If you sign up for audit help every year, after several years, you've paid for audit help you never got.

All the telephone help I've gotten has been (a) HELPFUL and (b) nice. Very nice people on the other end. A relief if you've been wrestling with the government's idea of logic. Most of the time filling in info and letting their computer do all the figuring is straightforward. But some of it is confusing. And their promise to get you the biggest refund -- they didn't ask me if I was qualified for an energy tax credit, which I am because I put in a new gas hot water heater last year. I accidentally found this out on my own in a last-ditch review where I clicked on everything.

Customer service: Here it is the day before the filing deadline. I have the right to file up to the deadline, no? And I pay Turbo Tax to figure my taxes and e-file for me. But I have a couple of questions that could get me almost $300 more in refund (it looks like TT made some mistakes) and I'm having to wait TWO HOURS for a callback. I'm sure Turbo Tax isn't going to go bankrupt if they hire ENOUGH PEOPLE to let everyone get a callback within 20 minutes. So for that part of their customer service, they suck, thus the Dissatisfied rating.

Original review: April 18, 2017

I am very dissatisfied with the Turbo Tax process. Preparing the forms was easy enough but then they add on fees to deduct their charges from your tax return. They make it impossible to just do the federal once the state return has been prepared. Even though they say you can delete the state return, I could not. Their payment process does not allow you to not pay an extra $40 for the state return either. I would NOT RECOMMEND TurboTax to anyone unless I hated them.

Original review: April 17, 2017

Bait and Switch. Just finished last minute tax filing. The process was fine. Just don't like that at the very end, we were charged an additional fee for filing. Total: $90. It's not about the cost. I feel tricked. I like to know what I'm paying upfront.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I've used TurboTax for many years with minimum to no problems. This year was a very different story. I've purchased the Deluxe package for several years because our taxes are complex. We have multiple sources of income, lots of charities, etc. and this year sold some securities due to buying a house, so I made sure that I spent a lot of time putting in data as I got the information from various sources, as in past years. On Friday morning, April 15, just as taxes are due, after weeks and many hours of work on our taxes, I got ready to file. As I access TurboTax, it updates automatically as usual, but this time it tells me that there's an error somewhere and therefore I cannot access anything that has been entered before. I have to start all over again.

To make matters even worse, as I try to enter any new information, it won't let me save anything, so if I walk away for a few minutes and shut the program down, whatever has been entered will be lost. I can only do temporary copies. Needless to say I spent the entire day, roughly 10 hours, working on my taxes nearly continuously until I could print them that evening. I had to print because as I tried to file electronically it told me, after gathering all of our security information and credit card information, that I had to do a save before it would file electronically. Obviously we are going to be looking for alternatives to TurboTax next year.

Original review: April 17, 2017

TURBO TAX is DECEITFUL. Will NOT transfer files. Makes huge errors. I bought TurboTax thinking it was priced better than TAX Act which I used in the past and it should transfer all past taxes. Why? Because it specifically said on the box that it downloads ALL previous tax software. NOT TRUE! I spend HOURS and HOURS trying various methods of download, all of them ending in, "Sorry the download can't be done." What??!

I used the, 'suggest file type', the size was fine etc. This is deceit and wasted my time and money. Will NEVER use TurboTax again! I have NO respect for them! I reported this and customer service NEVER wrote, called, nothing. Could care less. NOT TO MENTION the product is terrible, not catching duplicated entries, even with large swings of my tax due in just an hour! It was not able to identify many entries I made even in the right blank they provided! And it did not allow me to label an entry as the federal tax form allows us to when I need to show WHY something is exempt. It also will not let me go into most of the worksheets to change an entry! I had to totally delete forms and start over to reset one tiny item! This is terrible, terrible. Wasted 4x as much time as compared to using TAX ACT. In the future I will gladly pay more and will NEVER EVER use TURBOTAX again. They should owe me money back for its error-prone calculations and waste of my time.

Original review: April 17, 2017

I purchased TurboTax premium include FED. ST and Fed. filling. By the end of my filing, it ask for purchase State e-filling for $24.99, which I did. It then ask me to call customer service to purchase. The problem is after almost one hour, the customer service rep finally fill the order but when I receive the e-mail confirmation, the order charge become $44.99, not $24.99 as show in the return software. I call the customer rep for the refund, they refused, saying that $20 if for state return, but it isn't that the state return already included in the package? I do not need purchase again for state filing and I do not want purchase e-filling for $44.99, that is ridiculous but they refuse the refund the difference. You do not make money by doing that kind of trick! LOL!

Original review: April 17, 2017

As a Single Member LLC I successfully stumbled through TT Business and TT H&B for 3 years, (zero tax preparers in community) then discovered the 4th year TT program couldn't find the previous years info. And I was trying to file early but hit a road block. Took me 6 months to see year three got save to a .txt file. That's a little land mine up under 'save as' if you're in a hurry, where I guess I had been, I mistakenly clicked that. There's no way to recover or resave and people on the forum, responding, were clueless. And that little 'save text' option isn't always up there. I've needed to hire a CPA to transfer all the information from a PDF file.

Check your file sizes in PC documents and look for small numbers, like, 28kb. 2 years got saved that represented a couple pages of the whole TT tax year. No, not the whole thing. I had to bring up the TT program, the 28kb, then stumble around and somehow end up in print where magically the whole set of tax forms, now, could be seen, then click to save and not print. There I see a TT generated, long, complicated, defaulted file name that I had to rewrite. Meaning, about half of the program files were completely saved, the other half got partially saved.

2 comprehensive TT Business filings, (same year) and for whatever reason saved twice and a good thing. One had 6 depreciation/projection schedules, the other one didn't. Real similar file names but I had to scroll through both documents to see which one had those schedules. I, again, had to rewrite a file name. (If) you're a SMLLC, like me, figuring out which program best suits you is a gauntlet and ridiculously unclear. You gotta buy it to read it. Once deep into TT Business, the program told me I needed TT H&B. Then, I'd stop and work on a credit and would get one. But, deep into TT H&B it would tell me I'd should be using TT Business. I'd go back and buy that again.

For three years I prepared both programs and successfully sent them off. But, TT has got my stuff so screwed up, mainly in the internal file saving steps, I've had to outsource another service to clean it up. TT has way too many land mines for new users. They should be paying users as consultants to weed out the faults their programs have.

Original review: April 17, 2017

When getting the free state download using the CD version, I accidentally hit FL instead of VA. I couldn't change it so I had TurboTax call me. I was called within 10 minutes by Jakelle (very nice woman). She told me that she will download the VA state file to TurboTax.com and then I could sign in and download it to my computer. I signed in and did exactly what she gave me as directions and the website just sat there with the little wheel spinning. Tried several times with the same results. I even let it spin for about an hour thinking maybe the file was very big. NADA!!

So I continued with the software and downloaded VA for $44.99. I replied to Jakelle's email from TurboTax about the situation and have not heard anything back. I called the 800-446-8848 number and what a joke that is!! The "automated" voice asks you all these questions and depending on your answers, she tells you to get online and log into the contact box. Then hangs up. I tried this several times and it doesn't matter what your answers are, you are eventually going to be told the same thing and "CLICK", you're gone. My next call is to the Better Business Bureau. If anyone else has any ideas how to contact these scammers, let me know. I'm done with TurboTax!! I'll use a pencil next year instead!!

Original review: April 16, 2017

We filed our taxes last year with TurboTax, and decided to go with Credit Karma this year (excellent experience) because they don't charge fees late in the process. Unfortunately, we didn't download our return last year from TurboTax, and when we tried to do so this year, were told that we needed to become plus members, for $30, in order to access our adjusted gross income (without which we of course can't file our taxes). They placed the utterly untrue statement on their website that getting this info from the IRS costs $50 and takes 75 days, when it's actually free and takes 15 minutes if you have a mobile phone with a major provider (unfortunately we don't), and takes 5-10 days otherwise (unfortunately I procrastinated). This is just the latest in a pattern of adding charges without warning after their users have already committed time and effort to their product.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I used TurboTax last year. I choose the free version, however I ended paying $29.99. This year I try to do it again. Choose $29.99, but, before checking out, it was asking me to upgrade to $54 without an option to say NO. It was very frustrating. I will never use this company again. I called them. No answer. On their webpage they said it is a 24/7 help for customers. Not true. What a bad experience! I'll rather pay $70 to an accountant than paying this company.

Original review: April 16, 2017

Filed my tax return with TurboTax. I opted for the $30 option in the beginning, went through filing my taxes then when I finished, they said I chose $95 in options. They charged me to have direct deposit which was never told to me before selecting it and then charged me $30 to file my state taxes which I was never told until I was checking out. When I called customer service, I was informed that the fees were in the fine print. Absolute BS if you ask me. They need to have it clearly marked what will cost you.

Original review: April 16, 2017

TurboTax is good at doing your taxes but they are dishonest in their pricing scheme. They had me select my tax situation and one of the situations I selected was "rental property". Then they recommended the Deluxe program at $59.99 and I compared this price to the competitors and went with TurboTax. However halfway through the return they said if I wanted to file for rentals I had to upgrade to the $79.99 version and there was not any way around it. That is deceptive and bait and switch tactic in my book.

Original review: April 16, 2017

After finishing my taxes this year I tried to pay with AMEX but there is an obvious poor design bug - the credit verification field needs to have 4 digits for AMEX but only accepts 3 as for other cards. Apparently no one has tried to pay with AMEX or possibly no one has taken the harder route of paying by credit when offered the easier route of letting them take the fee out of the refund - at a cost of 40 bucks - just another of their scammy approach to bait and switch - as so many have commented on. Also they don't seem interested in getting feedback on such bugs - I asked for a survey form but wasn't sent one and there appears to be no straightforward way of providing feedback.

Original review: April 15, 2017

I decided to give TurboTax a try and told myself I would give myself the whole afternoon so that I wouldn't get frustrated if I had to wait on hold to get questions answered. My question wasn't something the "first-line" representative could answer, so she said she would send me to a specialist and the hold would be about 17 minutes. (She was very polite.) After waiting for 1 hour 13 minutes, the system just hung up on me. I had the phone plugged in on speaker and didn't touch it.

Called back. Went through the same thing again except for when the second lady transferred me, she must have pushed a wrong button, sending me into an automated system. It asked me for a phone number associated with my account, OTHER THAN THE PHONE I WAS CALLING FROM. What??? Why would I call from a different number? It asked for a case number, which was not given to me. It finally hung up on me.

I called back really frustrated and the last lady I talked to was nothing like the first. She met my frustration with gusto, she gave it right back. I haven't encountered a ruder customer representative anywhere. Not even a DMV employee. Nowhere. I asked her for her name (Valerie **) and employee ID. She said they don't give out employee IDs or last names. I asked to speak to her supervisor and she said they don't do that. She then transferred me back to the automated service before giving me my case number, which I requested. Back to square one. Except for Square One is to either switch to the H & R Block software or go somewhere in person tomorrow.

It's now 4:00 pm, I started at 12 and all I've done is waste time and become infuriated. I've never heard of a company where an employee won't identify themselves via some kind of employee ID number and won't allow you to talk to a supervisor. No wonder she felt so comfortable being rude and hanging up on me; there's absolutely no system in place in which employees can be held accountable!!! Hopefully, my experience will help someone else. Between the TurboTax phone system and the employees being able to talk to customers the way they do, I cannot give more emphatic advice to STAY AWAY.

Original review: April 15, 2017

In the process of filing my taxes agreed to $34.99 for my state taxes through it. At the end it was going to charge me $70.00. I stopped immediately and never filed my taxes. Thank God I never used my card. I have used TurboTax for years. This was the first time I was SCAMMED by them. I'm not filing my taxes through them. We all need to go to as many places as we can and get the word out!! NEVER AGAIN!!

Original review: April 14, 2017

I had a regular question about filing for 3 W-2 forms and nobody could answer my question. They told me that they were trying to get in contact with a professional and they would just transfer me to another person who had no idea what to do. I spent over an hour between transfers and waiting. I am done. I cannot believe they are that inept on a simple question! I am actually still waiting on the phone just to see how much longer they actually make their customers wait. It's been an 62 minutes so far (after over 1 hour of waiting and talking with people who just want to transfer me). This is disgusting, I never ever want to do my taxes with TurboTax.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Filed 3 times. There is no follow up by TurboTax on when you file, if you filed and if you are rejected. I am hoping the 4th time is correct but the deadline is looming. I started this process on Feb 11 and was charged for the service. I understand that the IRS rejected the file because of an ID number was missing but TurboTax should have alerted me before I am delinquent. The first call I made only frustrated me more until I asked to speak with a supervisor who had a calm demeanor and a much better understanding of the situation so he could explain it properly instead of defensively. I am still not sure if I am filed! So mailing the return as well...

Original review: April 13, 2017

Just updated my info and approved my device on TurboTax.com. The 2 following emails were from spam and came directly to my inbox. Not using TurboTax. Also when I unsubscribe from all it was a hassle and then prompted a survey. The customer service from the agent who called was great. He was wonderful. TurboTax sells your email. Hope I don't start getting spam phone calls now.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information