Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.23/5

TurboTax is a user-friendly tax preparation software program. TurboTax walks you through your state and federal taxes with clear prompts, letting you pay, file and receive returns immediately. TurboTax subtracts its fees from your federal refund with your permission. TurboTax also guarantees to cover any IRS or state debt resulting from a calculation error.

Intuit - TurboTax Reviews

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

No change since last year other than by a few dollars here and there. Used free for years till today... Boom surprise. To get going what was free last year I have to pay almost 40$. It's a shame. This is just a rant. You're out of luck consumer place. Like anything will be done about these people. Consumer Affairs is more than likely having an affair with TurboTax.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

TurboTax is misleading consumers by implying prior to submitting returns that refunds are on schedule. The website stated the standard 21 day return. I have used TurboTax for several years. The standard return for e-filing is typically about 21 days. When I was submitting my return on their website the site provided the same standard return window. 2 days after submitting my return I received a notice that the IRS has accepted my return. It has been 12 days since I filed so I went online to check the status. Now there is a little question mark hyperlink under the status bar.

When selecting the hyperlink it informs you that the federal government will not be accepting returns until the 29th of January. I called and spoke to a representative for almost an hour. I initially wanted to know why the site did not indicate, prior to ordering, there was a delay in processing. Additionally I wanted to know why 2 days after submitting I was told my return was accepted, when in reality NO returns will be accepted until the 29th. I was told the language was a bit confusing, but that it meant that TurboTax accepted my return.

I said that "THE IRS HAS ACCEPTED YOUR FEDERAL REFUND" is not confusing it is misleading. I asked to cancel my order since it has not been, and won't be accepted by the IRS for almost another week. I was initially told that my refund should still come within the 21 days that was stated. A statement that was later recanted. I believe Intuit is using a bait and switch technique because they have the information is available about the delay ONLY after you pay and is not made readily visible during the processing period. I want to cancel my order and no longer want to do business with this company.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Fake value added: Upon first login, having been a customer for 7 years, they were proud to inform me that I can import my information for free this year. Nice try. The new numbers on the W2 allow for a digital import for anyone for free. New charge targeting student loan borrowers: Previously free, adding a 1098-E student interest credit to get money back from paying already horrendous student loans now requires the deluxe version for $40. Let's cut into the student loan crisis just a little more why don't we. New charge for filing state: Previously free, filing for state is an additional $40. Of course they don't tell you any of this until you're going along to file and get to the end. I filed through Credit Karma instead and paid $0. Imported 2018 W2. Free state file. Free 1098-E attachments. SAME exact amount as TurboTax promised.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

Made to choose the deluxe version to file with the cost of 39.99. Charged me double without notice when paying with card. Called and no refund or explanation was offered. I bet we see a class action lawsuit soon where they will settle and the customer will see nothing.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I was trying to file an amended return. Was told I could first read about it but was charged 84.00 without my consent and they won't give me a refund! Can't even talk to a real person. What a scam! I recommend using a different company. I used them for five years. Don't understand why now they are doing this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Intuit - TurboTax?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

They are a completely crooked group of people. I picked a free basic return and somewhere in the return I got placed on deluxe (which I did not need). When it got time to file my total was 119$. I hit continue hoping I could switch back to basic and they ended up charging my card. I didn't even file my return yet and they already took my money and won't give me a refund. I did the same return on TaxAct.com and the same exact return was 30$. Never again will I use this piece of ** shady company ever again. If I could use negative stars I would.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I have used TurboTax for the last three years (including 2018 tax year, filed just today). I was in the final stage of the filing and there is an identification verification process where they needed information from last year's return. When I couldn't find it through their online process I attempted to chat with customer service. The Chat function did not work, I input the information and clicked on the button but nothing happened and the button was still highlighted in blue. No problem (I thought) I will call them. It took a few minutes to track down the customer service number since it is not included on their online version (so much for Deluxe). When I did finally reach a "customer service" representative she was argumentative, kept talking over top of me and thought she knew better than I as to why I was calling. I was told by this representative that I must have used the desktop version of TurboTax last year since it was not showing up online.

She explained I needed to use that version and that is the only way I would be able to have this year and previous years all in the same place. Ultimately, since I explained I didn't have the desktop version she indicated that I needed to use the online version and TurboTax would be able to find the older version once I filed 2018. Of course I proceeded on that basis. Filed my 2018 return and then received an email from TurboTax that indicated I used a different account than I did last year (same email address, different user name). I immediately called in to ask how to combine the two accounts and was told the only way to do that was to deactivate the old account (lose all information) and pay an additional fee of $20 (after paying $90 this year and similar amount last year).

Needless to say, I need to have the information maintained since I paid an additional fee to have the add-on protection in the event of an audit. If there is a way to combine the accounts but it involves potentially losing data and incurring additional cost, it seems to be a revenue scheme and a serious lack of data management protocol on their behalf. I am very concerned with how this company is actually managing data... If someone were to create a new user ID, could they file on my behalf if they have my email? Do not trust this company with your data, they do not have an understanding of the potential security risk this lack of management and coordination presents. Not to mention the utter lack of respect that was demonstrated by multiple "customer service" representatives I encountered.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have used TurboTax for the last 7 years of my life, and have always enjoyed the simplicity of filing for free since I never had anything over-the-top in savings/investments/etc. So fast forward to this year, and I just started a 401k last November, and have only paid in for like four paychecks last year. This was asked on one of the parts of the filing, and I just informed them that 'yes, I have paid in.' Nothing else came from it, but I did get a pop-up that said in order to get the "saver's credit" for paying into a retirement account, I had to upgrade to Deluxe, which was advertised as $39.99. Okay - sure, no biggie. There was no additional information asked, since the retirement deductions are included on my W2's, and I was given a $36 Saver's Credit.

Now we get to the end of filing, I'm not allowed to file without the Deluxe Edition, and it cost $39.99 for Federal, $39.99 for State, and another $39.99 to have them take the charge out of my return. So that was $117 for a $36 credit. Super disappointed, and unable to remove the option. They did literally nothing extra, and I would have rather not had the credit and saved myself $117... No customer service email, no answers in the TurboTax community and I'm not able to leave a review on their site anymore. Will not use them next year.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

They force you to get MAX Defense or you can't move forward to file. I opted to Not have MAX Defense 3x & each time right before I file it automatically is added & if you don't agree to it you can't file. I've used TurboTax 5 years in a row & have never used MAX Defense so this year I didn't want to pay $44 for something I never use. However you can't move forward without having it. I will never use TurboTax again. Free filing went to darn near $170+. SMDH.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

It stated that I needed to "review" my 1099-INT (as I had it the previous year). It would not let me continue until I re-entered it. It doubled the amount of interest that I received, now, I will need to file an amendment as IRS will flag my return as the 1099-INT does not match the amount already submitted by my bank. What was more disturbing, is that TurboTax asked for my username and password to my bank account so they can "retrieve" my info for me (rather than entering it my self). It did not give a choice to decline, so I just clicked as if I did enter the info, and I was able to enter the info myself. How many people will fall for that? Then, I get all the way to the end, it says I cannot use the free version and need to buy the "deluxe version" for $39.00 as I had one 1099-R form. I will not be using TurboTax next year. I see that some people are having to pay for the "plus version" to get access to previous years' tax returns done by TurboTax.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have been wrangling with TurboTax for months. There is no email address for customer support. The phone number is completely automated. If I'm able to get a support ticket number from the website, the automated system will not let me enter the ticket number. The automated system has told me repeatedly that it cannot find an account associated with my email or phone number, then it tells me to log in to my account and use the online help desk. It's a circular system that does absolutely nothing for customers. I expect better service for the $100 I paid them. I will never use TurboTax again.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Purchased Home & Business. We followed instructions to call the 800 number for support regarding having a disk but not disk drive. 1st call: went thru automated system and it stated it would send link to my email to download our purchase. This did not work, we never received link. 2nd call: representative was hesitant and did not know what to do. She asked me to hold so she could get the memo on it. Came back and told me to log into my TurboTax account and it should just be there. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and said ok. Of course this is not working.

3rd call: representative had me on speaker phone (sounded like he was working from home). He kept giving me the runaround acting as though he knew what he was talking about. He stated the easiest fix was to just purchase it online. Why would I purchase it online when I already purchased it at the store. He then wanted me to share my screen, but couldn't give me a reason as to how this was going to help. 20 minutes later I get an email that my program is ready to download. Great they fixed it, nope it's the basic version that I am assuming the 2nd representative charged to someone's account. It has someone else's name, last 4 digits of their credit card and this other person's billing address which is in a different state as us. I think this is fraud.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

They refused to give me a copy of my return. The refund advance is a scam. That's not true. I could get my free copy for $19.99... File form IRS 14157 on them. I just did. Return Preparer Complaint. SCAM. ** TURBOTAX IS A SCAM. *** RUN.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have three types of common income, the first one I tried (SSI) to enter kept indicating there was an error and to correct the error to continue; no indication as to what the error was. I tried to get help thru the online help but it told me if I wanted to talk to a tax consultant I needed to pay $80. I did not want to talk to a tax consultant just inform them of the bug.

After trying to get help for a half an hour they sent a phone number. I called the phone number and was on hold for 30 minutes then a person asked where to direct the call. After another 20 minutes on hold I was connected to a tax consultant. I explained the problem and we tried to enter six numbers in many different ways, it still caused the error message. The consultant went to get help and said enter the numbers as whole numbers, that worked. Not entered as on the 1099 or as all other numbers are entered, they acknowledged a bug in the software. Nobody at TurboTax ever tested the software. Now thinking I am good to go to the next income item a 1099-MIS; wrong.

After another 30 minutes on hold and transferred to another person, 20 minutes on hold, I explained the problem. The problem, every time I hit continue the program would loop back around and request that I enter the information again. The person on the phone was way over their head and needed help. Yes there was another bug which I could only overcome allegedly by erasing everything and starting the return over again; not.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Company baits you under the premise of "free filing" only to pin you into a program of either 50-200. Called and spent well over 30 minutes trying to figure out why somebody who made less than 20k needed such a big package plan. Couldn't give me an answer. Asked them to put me on the free program which I wanted and told me I'd have to have a "Service Code". In the time it took to file on HR Block, figure out it doesn't fully work on FireFox, open IE and continue successfully filing on HR, they somehow begrudgingly manage to get me my "code", but I had already filed.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I filed my federal as usual and as most people know they auto start filing your state. When I went thru the steps to cancel the state filing it would not let me. I tried to call their support but you cannot talk to a human unless you upgrade (purchase their product for 19.99 or 39.99) which I opted not to do. As a result it would not allow me to continue with my federal filing. You call Intuit and they refer you back to turbo like they have nothing to do with them when in fact they do. If you Google Turbo corporate office it comes up until Intuit do.

This is where I will send my complaint but I will also be filing with the Ohio attorney general consumer protection. my state ended up being efiled with the federal when normally it will allow you to opt out so I'm being charged and don't know what that charge is yet... I get several emails a day which tells me again they are having problems with software, notifications, etc. This is nothing more than a scam Ohio residences can file for free on the Ohio tax site. Why would I pay Turbo to file for me... Also Turbo has a rep of not transmitting state filings in the past and have still charge people money. If I can help I won't be one of them because they're having program issues. OH THIS IS IS FUNNY. YOU CAN SUBMIT YOUR ISSUES UNLESS YOU GIVE THEM A STAR. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

All good till tried to submit. I filed the easy 1040 single & amazingly couldn’t register return, until I upgraded to $19.99 & $39.99 options. I tried to pay with three credit cards & a debit, kept saying problem. Soon as you upgrade to more $$$ everything worked fine. Imagine that.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Last year, my husband was away training with the military leaving me to do our taxes. I was forced to file through TurboTax because, in my husband's absence, our CPA would not process our joint return. I struggled with the program, and after several harrowing hours, I finally filed. I tried at the time to print, however it would not print. I accepted defeat and saved it to my computer. This year, I have tried to retrieve it and have found that I am totally unable to pay as they ask me. The program demands I file my taxes early in order to pay. It is far too early to do this, so I cannot. Every person who tries to help cannot find a way to either pay to retrieve my taxes or download them. The online help misleads you, and no one has answered any of my emails.

I am running out of time to file my FASFA and I am at an angry impasse. This program is as worthless as the customer service line that continuously seems to be out of order. They list it as Monday through Friday 5am until 5pm. However, when the line is called, it says it only takes calls Wednesday, Thursday, and Fridays.

Simply impossible. Do not use this pirateous site for your taxes. You will deeply regret it.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The customer support at TurboTax is a joke - no way to speak to a real person, when you call it is one continuous loop talking to AI. I will never use TurboTax again. If you are "lucky" enough to get a person, they are not very helpful either.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have used the online Deluxe version of TurboTax to file my state and federal returns for the past three years. I plan to use them again this year. My concern is that for a short form I think it should be simpler or the company should give better support without charging much more. My fee is around eighty dollars. The next service is full support with a live agent. I should not have to worry about looking up publications etc. when paying this much for the short form filing. Other than that I would recommend them. You get to keep your privacy and they say they check it over before it is sent. I can say this, though. If they raise the price much more I will have to look elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

For every entry of a 1099 interest, it takes forever to complete one entry. Something is really screwed up in this year TurboTax. It imported my 2017 entries and I am entering the amounts for 2018, but it takes an eternity just to complete the calculation after every entry. I used TurboTax for many years and I've never seen anything like this. I'm using the latest Windows 9 x64 v1809 with all the latest updates. My computer is pretty fast, but this program clogs it up.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

For three years in a row after using TurboTax, I was told I owed more money than TurboTax software calculated. Last year, I used TurboTax again and then went to H&R Block. The difference was over a $1000 dollars coming back to me from State and I owed a $1 to the IRS instead of getting the $6 refund TurboTax said I should get back.

Also, the TurboTax software sent to my house for my Mother was $85 and damaged in shipping, still in package. I returned the software to TurboTax people and got the same software for my Mom at Sam's for $39. This year I have persuaded my Mom not to use TurboTax again. We will be going to trained professionals, face to face. Try comparing before settling on this software and questionable help. Last year, the cost of H&R Block in my area? $125. I dropped off my taxes on a Friday, picked the completed forms up on Monday and was out in 15 minutes. First time in three years, I didn't get a letter of complaint from the IRS.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

CALL THEM +1-833-272_O777. I received a notice of audit from MA Dept of Revenue because of a computer malfunction. All of the inputs were correct as can be verified with my federal taxes and W-2s, the transfer was incorrect and can be proven. The response I received from the 1st representative was that I was not listening to her explain to me that the letter was probably due to an incorrect report of taxes. I stated that on the phone call and had to explain multiple times what was happening and that the state was right. I had to dig through the 2015 tax return to find what had happened to begin with. The 2nd person I had to explain the 2nd time, but she listened to what I was saying and got me to someone to help. The 3rd person, Kim **, asked me how I didn’t notice the mistake in the taxes that is a clear computer glitch; to which I informed her that this was my 1st year filing taxes solely for MA as I had a 2 state tax return the year before.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Furthermore, she said that she needed to look into it and would give me a call back; I received an email back but no phone call. The email does state that I received a phone call which I certainly did not and can provide supporting documents to show this. I now am going to have to pay a separate accountant to look at every return that has been processed through TurboTax because I cannot trust that TurboTax processed the correct information accurately. The customer service is unacceptable and it is clear that no one will take responsibility for the company actions and mistakes. - I would also like to add that I have been in customer service for years and would receive a written warning if I behaved like the 1st representative.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I was not aware there was an annual subscription until it drafted my account. It's only $80. but there is no way to recover it outside of challenging it with my bank and waiting 60 days. Impossible to get anyone on the phone and will be the first one to join a class action suit (or the next one). I don't have time to mess with this, but it's so obvious that their system is set up to put its customers at extreme disadvantage, it's unprofessional. How do you have an automated phone system that can't distinguish between an N and an M. Again, disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I didn't work last year, but I am in a situation where I need to file my taxes. I did TurboTax because it seemed the easiest way to get them done, as it worked well the year before. When it was done they said I couldn't e-file so I had to print it up. This became an hours long cycle of trying to download my federal return. The only printout I could get was a page that stated I don't owe any taxes. My state ones came up, but not the federal. I called the help center, and they just told me to send in the paper. Now I am dealing with a huge headache because they WILL NOT GIVE ME MY FEDERAL RETURN!!! I will never use them again. I will write them out by hand and use a freaking abacus, if I have to.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

My wife filed her 2016 tax return with TurboTax. Then, in 2017 we decided to go with an accountant. Today, we are trying to buy a home. TurboTax is saying that they do NOT have her 2016 return because we did NOT use them in 2017... and they will not issue it to us. Now it looks like we will not be able to get the house we love. Jose, who is a supervisor with TurboTax, told me blatantly that if we did return in 2017 then he would have access to the 2016 return. HORRIBLE COMPANY, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, DONT CARE ABOUT CONSUMER!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Went through process of entering all information to file 2017 Federal 1040 and state (CA, 540) after filing for extension. Entered all information and saved. Downloaded PDF to print and file by mail -- document contains NO ACTUAL 1040 form -- only filing instructions and worksheets. No option that I select will give me a preview or download of a file that actually contains my 1040. Since I am a paying customer ($30 for state, $30 for ongoing access to my documents), I naturally looked for an 800 number to call for technical support. THERE ISN'T ONE! That's right, you can search the "help" database, or you can "chat" with a support person -- between 5 am and 5 pm. What a giant, steaming pile of excrement.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I've used TurboTax for several years. Each year has seen an increase in fees and frustration. Nothing like this year though. Check your alternatives before you commit to these people. Rate 1/2 of 100.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I dislike how this company holds onto deposits for lengthy amounts of time. I had a check for $75 that was authorized and legitimate but is being held for over 5 days. I need the money now but I’m being forced to wait in order to access it. This also happened with another check I had for $64. The time lengths for holds on checks needs to be less. I shouldn’t feel like I have to go elsewhere to cash my check. Mobile deposit should be more convenient than this.

Intuit - TurboTax Company Information